ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ | 𝐎𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬

By obrowne21

Outerbanks x OC More

𝕊𝕥𝕪𝕝𝕖
𝙍𝙪𝙗𝙮 𝙈𝙤𝙤𝙧𝙚
001. ᴘᴏɢᴜᴇ ʟɪꜰᴇ
002. ᴍʏꜱᴛᴇʀɪᴏᴜꜱ ᴍᴏᴛᴇʟ ᴋᴇʏ
003. ꜱʜᴀᴅʏ ᴍᴏᴛᴇʟ
004. ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ, ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ, ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ
005. ᴋᴇɢɢᴇʀ
006. ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀꜱꜱ
008. ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛʜᴏᴜꜱᴇ

007. ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ ɪɴ

201 3 4
By obrowne21

**✿❀ ❀✿**

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. Rue was a firm believer that there was an explanation for every single thing that happened in life. There's usually a message or some reflection behind it.

Big John's compass in Scooters boat, not explainable.

Ruby inspected the object in her hands as John B drove the Twinkie and JJ sat in the passengers seat. She lay flat on her stomach in the back, with her feet kicked in the air.

The trio was heading to Lana's to ask her about the compass. After finding it John B has been relentless on finding answers.

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you." JJ said to John B. "Shes like, 'Oh, John B'." He mimicked Kie.

Rue furrowed her eyebrows from her place in the back. "Weirdo." She muttered tracing her finger along the compass.

The boy driving only spared his friend a glance. Even though he had more pressing matters at hand, Kiara was definitely in the back of his mind.

"She's sketchy about you diving, then she kissed you." JJ continued. His voice getting higher as he ranted.

John B shook his head with a smile. "Firstly, you were the one who was sketchy about Rue diving. Remember? Hmm?"

"No, that doesn't ring a bell bro."

"And secondly, Kie kissed me on the cheek. It's not like we were making out." John B finished raising his shoulders.

Rue smiled to herself overhearing the conversation. At first the way JJ didn't want her to dive was annoying but after thinking about it, it was kind of sweet. Just a good friend looking after her.

"Low hanging fruit bro." He pointed at John B. "And don't pretend you don't notice. She looks at you and you start blushing."

"I blush?"

Rue poked her head between the seats, slightly scaring the boys. "Yeah, your cheeks turn a rosy red color. Almost like a sunburn, can't relate."

JJ reached for the compass in her hands but she pulled back. "No." She scolded.

"Hey don't-" John B warned JJ, who still tried to reach for it. He then looked to Rue. "Don't let him get it, he'll break it."

"I just want to look at it." He whined like a child, giving Rue puppy dog eyes.

After John B gave a nod she reluctantly handed it over. "What are you five?" She teased.

"Six, actually." JJ corrected while turning the object in his hands. "I'll admit, your fathers compass in Scooters boat, that's freaky."

John B nodded. "Yeah, that's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out."

Rue patted his shoulder. "Yeah, not like her husband just died or anything."

A bright house came into view. It was a bit rundown and there were patterns, pictures, and paintings, all over the place.

As the boys got out, Rue waited for one of them to open her door. It what they did since they were children. JJ slid the Twinkie open and held his hand out. She smiled thankfully accepting his help.

Their hands still connected as they followed John B up to the colorful home. It definitely was different.

"You know what this house looks like?" John B asked placing the compass in his right shorts pocket.

JJ laughed turning to him. "Like whoever lives here smokes too much weed."

"Yeah, I want what they got." Rue joined in.

From a distance they could hear glass shattering, making the three drop their smiles. Their steps faltered trying to figure out what was happening.

Lana's cry's could be heard along with the angry voices of a man, maybe two.

"Maybe we should come back-" JJ began but was cut of by JBs shushing.

More yelling and crashing filled their ears. "I'll sink you to the fucking ground!"

The three immediately ducked. Rue moved next to JJ, her left hand subconsciously grabbing his arm.

"John B!" She whispered gesturing her head back to the Twinkie.

He shushed her too making her roll her eyes. "Come on."

He lead them to squat under a window sill. The noise from the house being more clear. Lanas pleas for them stop had gotten louder.

The three had their backs to wall. Their bodies shaking in fear. Rue and JJ gave John B a pleading look to go, which he ignored.

"Where is it Lana!" The intruder yelled smashing things.

Small, white specks fell on top of their heads. Rue brought her hands to her ears to block out the yelling. She turned to look at the boys who were equally as scared.

Rue shook her head as John B moved closer to look around the edge of the house. Over his shoulder, she could see the two guys from the marsh.

"Those are the guys who shot at us!" JJ whisper yelled to them.

John B slowly turned back around. "Get back." He whispered.

Once the two guys were gone, Rue didn't waste anytime in going inside the house. "Ms.Lana!" She called worriedly. Her eyes surveying the house for the woman.

Lana was cradled against the bathroom wall, sobbing. Rue ran to her and squatted down. "Are you okay?"

Lana flinched as Rue placed a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes wide looking at the teenagers.

"Rue, she's tweaking." JJ tried to get them to leave.

The brunette sharply turned to glare at him. "I'm not leaving her like this!" She seethed before turning back to the hurt woman. "Do you need a doctor? Want me to call the police?"

"No, no, no," Lana quickly denied. "No cops please!" She begged.

"Mm. That's not good. Come on, guys. Let's just go." JJ intervened gently grabbing Rues arm to pull her up. The girl softly but sternly pushed him away. The whole situation was crazy and she didn't want anyone touching her right now.

John B took Rues spot pulling out the compass.

"Are you serious?" Rue sighed disappointed by both of the boys actions. JJ obviously didn't want to be caught up in any of this but John B was determined. He didn't care about anything but that stupid compass.

Lana sobbed shaking her head. "You shouldn't be here." It sounded like a warning or maybe a plea.

"That's enough for me. Come on." John B pulled away from JJs hand.

"Wait, wait." He pushed the compass out further toward Lana. "Were the guys looking for this?"

At the sight of the compass, Lana's face went blank. It gave Rue chills how her emotions could change so quickly.

"This is my fathers, and Scooter had it." John B explained. "Why?"

"Scooter didn't have it, okay?" She refused. "Don't tell anyone that you have that!" Her voice rising.

Rue pulled the back of John B's shirt roughly. "You're done, let's go." He stood up but his eyes were still on Lana.

"They can't know! You've gotta get out of here!"

"What do you know about the compass?" John B yelled back. His voice desperate for any answer.

Rue pushed him into JJ so he could handle John B. "We gotta go!" He persuaded him to finally let it go.

The three ran to the Twinkie without a second glance back. Rue felt bad for leaving her like that, but if Lana wanted to be alone then that's the least she could do.

Hopping in the back, Rue was lightly out of breath. Once John B situated himself in the drivers seat she moved forward. Placing a slap on the back of his head making him wince. "You idiot!"

**✿❀ ❀✿**

"AND WE WERE right outside like this." JJ demonstrated leaning his back against the wall.

After the scary encounter, Rue took it upon herself to get Pope and Kie over to the Chateau as soon as possible. Once the two showed up, JJ immediately started to dramatically explain what happen.

"And all we hear is just, 'Bam! Bam! Bam!" He threw his fist out each time. "Knocking paint off the , G! From the inside. And I'm just looking at them and wait-"

He stopped his rant to bend over and shake his hair out. "First off, look at this shit."

"That's dandruff." Kie said slightly disgusted.

JJ sighed standing up. "That's paint." He finalized. "At that point, I was just waiting for death."

"JJ." Rue got his attention. She brought her hands down slowly, gesturing for him to take a deep breath. "Chill out."

He took a breather as Pope began questioning. "You saw the guys that shot at us, right?"

"Yes." Rue answered.

Pope looked to her. "Did you get a good description of them? Anything to bring to a police report maybe?"

"Burley." JJ answered be free she could.

"Burly?"

"That's not very helpful."

Kie and Pope spoke, shutting him down. Rue had to frame from rolling her eyes at their responses.

"You guys were at the marsh that day." Her voice annoyed. "I'm pretty sure you got a good look at them. They were about 6 foot, well the one with the beard was kind of short. Both had black hair and were white. Sums up every guy on this fricken island."

"Thank you, Rue." Pope sighed in relief. He pointed at her while turning to JJ. "See that's a description to take to the cops. Learn something."

"I wasn't taking mental Polaroids, man. I was under duress, okay?" JJ whined.

Rue stood up to rub his back while snatching the vale out of his hand. "Take a breather, jesus, JJ."

After letting him catch his breath he was able to talk normally again. "The way Ms. Lana was screaming... those guys are real Hombres. It's a heavy vibe right now, okay?"

He turned to look at Rue for reassurance. She nodded with a awkward smile. "Good job." She muttered.

"Why would they want the compass?" Kie asked.

"Yeah it a piece of shit. You couldn't pawn it off for five bucks if you wanted to." Pope said with no filter.

Rue gave him a look making him turn to John B. "No offense, John B. I know it's in your family-"

"The office." John B cut him off. He was quiet the whole time and looked like something was bothering him. This was the first time he spoke since they had gotten home from Lana's.

"My dad. My dads office." He walked past JJ and Rue. "He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research."

He opened the door with the others following behind him. "We used to laugh at him like he was gonna find it. But now that he's gone, I've just kinda..."

He stopped at the office door. Hesitant to go inside, afraid of the things he might find out. "I just let it as he kept it."

"Yeah for when he gets back." Kie hoped trying to play along with his fantasy. Rue gave her a weird look.

The four friends followed John B into the office. It was quite messy with papers and books were scattered everywhere.

"I've slept over here like a thousand times and I've never seen this door opened." Pope commented.

"Here! Look." John B brought down a bulletin board. "This is the original owner, right here."

There was an old picture of this brown haired man. He was kind of fine to be honest.

"Ok," Rue sighed looking for his name. When she found it she pointed to the writing. "Robert Q. Routledge, 1880 to 1920. Oh! Theres the lucky compass right there." She smiled.

"Actually I'm..." John B started. "He was shot after he bought it."

She tucked in her lips with an awkward smile. "That's nice."

"Then the compass was shipped back to Henry. He was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he and the compass."

The friends all looked up in realization.

"After he died, the compass was given to Stephen. Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam."

Rue shook her head as JJ looked to John B. "Let me guess, he died in action, right?"

"Sort of." John B stuttered. "A-actually he was killed by a banana truck. In country."

"A banana truck?" Rue scoffed turning away. That had to be the most ridiculous way to die.

"There's a reoccurring theme here." JJ noted.

"Yeah you have a death compass." Pope agreed.

As her friends tried to encourage him to get rid of the compass, she occupied herself. Looking through a desk set up against the wall. A piece of jewelry caught her eye.

It was a silver necklace, at the bottom there was a sculpted raven. Her heart jumped a few beats. Big John bought her that necklace when she surfed he first big wave.

Looking around to make sure nobody was looking she snatched the necklace, placing it in her pocket.

"Guys!" John B called. "Someone's here!"

**✿❀ ❀✿**

• this episode had me shakin in my 👢

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 590 19
For the shame of being young, drunk, and alone. LOST AT SEA FROM JJ'S PERSPECTIVE FEM!OC / JJ MAYBANK OBX SEASON 1 BOOK 1 FIRST DRAFT ⸻ 12/10/21 → 12...
45.9K 717 31
𝑴𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒍𝒚𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑱𝑱 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓.
2.3K 62 12
ੈ✩‧₊˚ ❝ i like that about us. nothing is ever complicated. ❞ &&. in which it's dangerous to fall in love with your best friend. JJ MAYBANK | OUTER B...
13.1K 927 30
And you had to go, I know, I know, I know. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC KIARA CARRERA / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 3