My Breath || S. B.

By trickschips

When Junia Crawford heard about the arrangements her parents had made with the Blacks, she was anything but p... More

1. Dinner at the Black's
3. Brother
4. And So They Met
5. Unplanned Plans
6. A Friend's Friend
7. Stranger, Stranger
8. Summer Ring
9. Class Buddies
10. Strictly Professional
11. Keep Me Company
12. Rumours
13. Uncalled Friends
14. Girls
15. Those With Stories
16. Normal Days
17. Temporary Goodbyes
18. Hog's Head
19. Manwh*re like You
20. MISsTAKEn
21. Back on the Boat
22. New Chapters
23. Husband and Wife
24. Lovely Cottage
25. Cinema
26. Unspoken Words
27. Hagrid's Hut
28. Forgotten Christmas
29. Morning After

2. Holiday News

1K 26 9
By trickschips

The summer holiday passed and Junia was partly glad that she had not been hearing about the Blacks from her mother. Perhaps her speculation was wrong. Perhaps it really was just a nice gesture between two family friends. But it is still hard to believe, if that is even true.

Junia knew her mother never really liked Mrs Black. She had met her a few times before the last dinner at the Black's home, and she could always sense some sort of unfinished dispute between the two women. They could hardly pass as friends.

Junia made her way through the platform. Her mother seems to have business to attend to, so she was alone. Though it really is no big deal for her. It wouldn't be the first time for Junia. Her mother has never really been present after all.

She made her way through the crowd of families waving goodbye to their children, making her way to the train. She was nearly late, so she didn't have time to find her friends before the train started moving.

Coincidentally, the first compartment she came across had only one person in it. And that one person happens to be the boy she had met only two weeks ago.

Junia opened the door and poked her head in, "Would you mind if I join you in here?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The first few months of her sixth year passed without much difference from her previous years', but she did notice how more and more of the people in her year started to get into romantic relationships and host more and more wilder parties.

Junia didn't mind. In fact, she kind of enjoys it. There was a party every week, and Junia never had to think twice before attending them. Especially the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff's ones, they have a lot of lovely music. She never had much of a chance to listen to muggle music, so she took the opportunity she had from those parties.

The drinks were delightful too, and she occasionally enjoys the relief she feels after a glass or two, especially after quizzes and tests.

Junia obviously does not support underage drinking but it was 1976, and she was a young teenager trying her best to enjoy life. And Junia was smart enough to know her limits to avoid the consequences of getting drunk. Amidst her growing appreciation for weekly parties, she still knew the importance of prioritising her studies.

But again, it would be no surprise that Junia managed to experience a night at somebody else's dorm for the first time.

The parties weren't the only new thing for her this year. She had managed to form a friendship with Regulus Black. They were more alike than one might think and they bonded through similar experiences they had growing up in a pureblood family.

Junia went back home that winter break feeling joyful and light, but it wouldn't be long before her mother greets her with a news she had dreaded.

"We'll be attending the Christmas party at the Black's this year. The Blacks and I have made arrangements for you and their son, so you need to..." her mother's words soon faded as her thoughts consumed her mind. An arrangement with another pureblood's family son could only mean one thing: Securing the purity of the family line. And that can only happen through marriage.

Junia knew this was going to eventually happen, but she can't help herself from being overwhelmed by the thought of her future as a wife to someone she does not want to marry. But Regulus couldn't be that bad, could he? They have been talking for a while and she had to admit that she likes to have him as a company.

She could see herself with him. He is not a pureblood supremacist and is genuinely nice. She could definitely deal with that and he is quite attractive. But it would still mean the same thing, she will never be able to escape the pureblood name that has only brought misery into her life so far. She couldn't do this, she couldn't do that. She has to do this, she has to do that.

Some people in her school would automatically assume that Junia hates muggleborns and muggles, and avoid any associations with her. It is such a lonely community to be in. A community filled with shallow minded people. And she hated that she was born into it. She hated it even more to know that she could do nothing about it because she was just a girl.

It is ironic really how the purebloods regard themselves so highly, but are so far behind when it comes to social developments like women's rights. But who was she kidding, they're insufferable for a reason.

"... I want you to prepare for it," her mother ended her statement. "Do you hear me, Junia?"

Junia swallowed and nodded, "Yes, Mother."

"You better not fail me, Junia."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Sirius," James entered the room with a few letters in his hands. "You've got a letter."

Sirius groaned onto his pillow, "I shouldn't have told her to write to me."

"Her?" James furrowed his brows as he walked towards his friend. "That girl Amelia?"

"No the other one," Sirius simply answered like it was so obvious. "Alice, I believe, was her name."

James sighed at his friend's antics, "Well, you don't have to worry about dear Alice, because it's not from her. Nor is it from Moony or Wormtail." James' lively expression slowly fell.

Sirius snatched the letter from James' and threw it into the bin once he read who it was from. "I'm going to change."

James waited for Sirius to enter the bathroom before bending down to take out the letter from the bin.

"Don't. Even. Try. James," Sirius opened the door and poked his head out.

"Dammit! How do you know," James sighed in defeat.

Sirius went back inside, and James quickly took the chance to pull the letter out of the bin before Sirius could catch him again.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sirius went down for breakfast. The Potters were already conversing on the dining table. "Morning everyone! Lovely day today," he said as proudly entered the room. He does not usually wake up this early.

"Good morning, Sirius," Mrs Potter smiled at the boy whom she has considered as her own son. He placed a slice of toast and butter on his plate and a bowl of fruit that comes with it.

She had known Sirius for over five years now. After their third year, Sirius rarely spent a night at his family's anymore. He always came to the Potter's for shelter and comfort as he could not find that in his own house.

"It is indeed a lovely day," Mr Potter said as he looked out the window. "The sun has graced us with its warmth in this cold season."

Sirius smiled as he turned to James who had been a little too quiet, "What's up with you?"

"Nothing," James dove back into his food.

Sirius knew he was lying, but decided not to make a big fuss about it during breakfast, but he did promise himself to ask about it later.

"Thanks, Mrs Potter," Sirius said as Mrs Potter handed him a glass of juice. The Potter, as one would expect, are a very healthy family.

Breakfast went by as it usually does at the Potter's. Sirius and James walked through the lively hallways to James' room. The sun really was shining bright today. The light that passed through the big windows had managed to warm up the wooden floor.

James didn't crack any jokes like he usually would whenever they passed the picture of his old uncle. In fact, he didn't say anything at all. Sirius immediately knew what was up. He knew James had read that letter. Sirius too stayed quiet as he thought of what might be in that letter.

"Sirius, I need to tell you that I—" James started once they were in his room.

"Read the letter and I bet something bad has happened?" Sirius said before James could finish. "It's either that or something bad will happen?"

James sighed and picked up a piece of paper from his table, "Read it for yourself, Pads."

Sirius bit his lips as he took the letter from James and started reading it. It's short but concise. Just like how his parents used to talk to him. It's either that or some wordless beating.

Sirius,

Your father and I will be expecting you for dinner at the house tonight. We have an important matter to discuss with you regarding the arrangement we have made for you and the daughter of the Crawfords.

Walburga Black

Sirius crumpled the piece of parchment and used his lighter to burn it. "She's very bold to even think I would come," he scoffed.

James looked down and stayed quiet. He knew Sirius can be very sensitive when it comes to family matters.

"Wanna play Quidditch?" Sirius said, with a major change in the tone of his voice. "Before it gets any colder. I'll go get my broom." Sirius didn't wait for James to respond before carelessly leaving the room.

James bit the bottom of his lips in concern. Sirius always does this. He's always running away from his problems. But of course, James will never tell him that. Because Sirius is his friend. And the best one yet.

The two played outside till lunch came around and proceeded to continue after till the sky got dark.

"I think we did pretty well," Sirius grinned as he went down his broom. "We might even win the cup this year."

"We definitely will," James agreed as they went back inside. "As the new captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, I can assure you that I will lead us to victory."

Sirius laughed, "With your lousy way of training, I'm not so sure."

"What do you mean lousy? We just trained for a whole day!" James defended himself.

"I was referring to the amount of time you spent on trying to impress Evans that you could actually use for training the team," Sirius rolled his eyes.

"That's why I made you vice captain, Pads," James pointed out as they reached his room. "So when I'm away, you're in charge. Anyway, I'll see you at dinner."

Sirius shook his head at his friend's antics. He made his way through the hall to his room, feeling much lighter after the letter he had received earlier. He stepped back in shock when he found the Potter's butler standing in the corner. "Merlin! You scared me, Markus."

"Mr. Black," Markus greeted flatly. Sirius had always found Markus creepy but he has been serving the Potters since James was an infant, so he never said anything about it. "You've got a letter. An urgent one," Markus handed him a letter.

Sirius could only force a smile and thank the man, although deep down inside he was dreading what awaits inside the envelope. As much as he didn't want to, he opened the letter as soon as he got inside his room.

Sirius,

Please. Just come.

Your brother,

Regulus

"Fuck!" Sirius hit the table with his knuckles as he held onto the paper. As careless and reckless as he may seem to others, Sirius cares about many things. And one of those things happens to be the safety of his brother. Only last year he found out about the bruises his younger brother got from his family after he left.

Sirius used to be the one to take on their mother's physically abusive behaviours but his constant absence around the house had let his mother take it out on Regulus instead. Sirius was curious why his brother still wanted to stay at that hellhole of a house.

He quickly showered and got ready. When he left, James was not even out yet. Sirius had managed to tell Markus that he will not be having dinner at the Potter's tonight but he will be back before midnight, just in case James asks.

Sirius put on his helmet and went up on his motorbike. Throughout the journey, he could only think about the possible reasons why his parents still wanted to meet him. He was sure he had made it clear he didn't want to have anything to do with them the last time. What kind of arrangement are they planning and who are the Crawfords?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 270 11
Meet Grace McCall, Scott's 15 year old sister. Why does she feel so close to Scott's first Beta (Liam Dunbar) Assassins arrive in Beacon hills and ho...
127K 3.2K 25
emma, edmund, and lucy arrive back in narnia. however, they aren't alone. cousin eustace happens to join them and learns of the fun, memories and rom...
345K 11.5K 38
☾ ✧ β—† π’Šπ’ π’˜π’‰π’Šπ’„π’‰ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’†π’Žπ’π’•π’Šπ’π’π’‚π’π’π’š π’…π’Šπ’”π’•π’‚π’π’• 𝒗𝒆𝒆𝒍𝒂 π’‡π’Šπ’π’…π’” 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 π’•π’‰π’“π’π’–π’ˆπ’‰ π’‹π’‚π’Žπ’†π’” 𝒑𝒐𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 β—‡ ✦ ☽...
20.7K 299 17
Isabelle has had a normal life as a young girl with a bright future ahead of her. However, when she discovers something in her parents's bedroom, her...