𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗜'𝗹𝗹 𝗗𝗼...

By Madsobrine

In which two co-workers find peace and comfort in one another. "These people are the best part of me." Trigg... More

𝘼𝙘𝙩 𝙞
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗶𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝙰𝚌𝚝 𝙸𝙸, 𝙳𝚊𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝘁 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗡𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙀𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝙊𝙣𝙚
𝖠𝖼𝗍 𝖨𝖨𝖨.𝘾𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙔𝙤𝙪
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝙏𝙬𝙤
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆
𝙒𝙚𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝘼𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙘
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗶𝘅
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝘈𝘤𝘵 𝘐𝘝. 𝘐 𝘢𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘴
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝗳𝘁𝘆

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗶𝘅

2.3K 98 25
By Madsobrine

" 𝖶𝖾 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝖽 𝗈𝖿 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗇𝖾𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗆𝗈𝗌𝗍 𝗉𝖾𝗈𝗉𝗅𝖾 𝗌𝗉𝖾𝗇𝖽 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾𝗌 𝗍𝗈 𝖿𝗂𝗇𝖽"

Messy understandings
911:𝘓𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘳 2𝘹03
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"𝙎𝙖𝙫𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙬𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥!" Savanna shot up with a gasp adrenaline filling her as red filled her vision she blinked trying to clear her vision.

"Here, it's okay." Hen's voice spoke calmly as cloth wiped at Savannas eyes clearing her vision slightly.

Savanna's chest constricted as smoke entered her lungs, she eyed the flames surrounding them and a groan left her as she lifted her hand to her head.

"Savanna, Savanna look at me you have a gash on your forehead, and a concussion." Hen demanded grabbing her face and pressing gauze on the cut making the blonde wince.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." Savanna slurred lightly pushing Hen away as her eyes landed on the pilot. Savanna's head pounded, and her eyes burned and her chest began to constrict as the fire moved closer to them.

"yeah, that radio's dead. I can't get cell reception to save my life. Hopefully, Command can pull GPS from the chopper to find us." Captain Strand stumbled over to them.

"Hopefully." Savanna coughed gripping her ribs in pain.

"How's he doing?" Strand asked.

"Sedated. He fractured his femur and a couple of cracked ribs. He'll live." Hen answered.

"Don't speak too soon. You feel that? It's creating its own wind. It's a firestorm. Gonna find some shelter." Strand pulled out a map.

"Okay, we're somewhere near here? This could work." Strand pointed to a section not too far from them.

"That could work." Savanna nodded.

"Feel that? It's making its own wind." Hen and Savanna stopped looking at Captain Strand concerned.

"What?"

"You just repeated yourself. I think I should probably check you out. Do you know what day it is?" Hen asked.

"It's night" Strand quipped.

"You know where you are?" Hen asked.

"Somewhere I really don't wanna be." Savanna rolled her eyes.

"All right. Uneven pupillary responses, Captain. I think you might have a concussion." Hen told him.

"So what are you gonna tell me, to stay off my feet? Avoid stress?" The flames wooshed closer to them.

"Or run like hell," Hen exclaimed picking up the top half of the pilot as Strand got his left leg and Savanna got his right.

• • •

"Yeah, but what we need to do is get containment in here, here, or if I make it myself..." De Leon spoke to the 126 and Buck and Eddie.

"This is a joke! We know exactly where the chopper went down. So why haven't you sent out a rescue team?" TK yelled.

"As I said, the beacon is coming from two miles inside an active burn zone. It is not safe to send anyone up in the dark." De Leon spoke calmly.

"Commander, with all due respect, we accept the risk and we ain't asking anybody else to go," Judd spoke up.

"You know I can't authorize that." De Leon shook his head.

"You know, those are our people up there. They could be bleeding out right now. Dying." TK yelled again and his words made Eddie's stomach twist, he had no intention of not going to look for Savanna and Hen. He'd rather die than sit there and do nothing.

"Son, we haven't had any cell or radio contact at all since the Mayday. Nobody else is risking their lives tonight. And your father would be the first one to agree with me." TK glared at the commander and stormed out of the tent.

Eddies chest began to restrict at the commanders implication, there was plenty of reasons why they hadn't revived a call from them, Savanna wasn't dead, she couldn't be.

• • •

Savanna was struggling on top of the possibly cracked ribs, they were rushing through smoke and fire. They finally stopped at an old boarded-up coal mine and Savanna let out a string of raspy coughs. "Okay, that's good. I've spent my whole career running to danger, but there's never actually been a sign." Strand spoke prying the rotted wood off the entrance.

"The deeper we get, the more protected we'll be from the heat." He then informed them.

"Here. Right there." Savanna grunted lowering Mark on the ground.

"How's he doing?" Strand asked as Hen put the oxygen mask back on Mark.

"He's hanging in there," Hen answered.

"Can you believe this? It's like stepping back in time." Strand spoke as they wandered deeper into the mine.

"Hey, is that what I think it is?" Hen pointed to a box, a box that made Savanna's heart stop.

"Oh, my God, that's dynamite. It's gotta be 100 years old." Strand spoke looking at it.

"Guess worksite safety wasn't a thing back then." Savanna mumbled.

"Remind me to lodge a complaint with OSHA if we ever get out of here. This is the end of the line. All right, well, we better get comfortable. It's gonna be a minute before anybody comes looking for us." Strand told them and they sat down.

"And you'll let me know if you start feeling dizzy, right?" Savanna asked.

"Oh, don't worry about me." Strand waved her off.

"It's kinda my job at the moment," Savanna mumbled looking at the ceiling.

"You two picked the right person to be in a helicopter crash with," Strand told them.

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?" Hen asked.

"'Cause I'm invincible." Owen laughed lightly.

"My wife will be glad to hear." Hen laughed softly she then turned to Savanna who still had blood leaking down the left side of her face.

"It's 2020, yes I know who the president is don't make me admit it," Savanna answered the assessment questions she then looked at Captain Strand who was looking behind them like he'd seen a ghost.

"Captain, you okay?" Savanna asked. Captain Strand continued to stare behind her for a second before nodding.

• • •

Eddie's hands shook violently as he looked at his phone screen on it was Sabrina's contact photo, she was trying to call him. "You gonna answer that?" Marjan spoke up from across Eddie.

Eddie stared at his phone his stomach twisting, she'd know something was wrong. "No, I'll call back," Eddie answered.

"She's more than a co-worker isn't she?" Even though it was a question Marjana said it like a statement.

"How you reacted when you heard she was the one in the helicopter kinda told me all I needed to know."

"She's my fiancée." Eddie smiled softly as his lock screen appeared. It was a picture of Savanna, Sabrina, and Chris.

"Ah, you're a very lucky man, Diaz," Marjana spoke.

"Yes, I am," Eddie confirmed.

"They just delivered twenty different kinds of pizza if you're hungry." Buck approached TK who just got off the phone.

"I'm good." TK frowned standing up as Buck sat down.

"They survived the crash. Believe it. And your dad is with Savanna and Hen, so... so he's in really good hands." Buck assured him.

"So are they," TK told him.

"No doubt. Look, my captain is not my dad, but he might as well be. You know, he could've given up on me so many times, and he never did. Even when I used to steal the fire truck." Buck told him.

"You used to steal the fire truck?" TK looked at Buck amused.

"Oh, yeah. All the time. In fact that fire truck is the reason Savanna and I are so close." Buck smiled remembering when Savanna had threatened physical violence on Buck if he stole the truck one more time.

"Yeah, my dad, he's never given up on me either. And I've done a lot worse than steal a fire truck. It just sucks, you know? Just sitting here and doing nothing." TK admitted sighing deeply as he thought of all the possibilities.

"Well... what if we didn't have to?" Buck pulled the keys out of his back pocket.

"Is that..." "

Keys to a fire truck," Buck confirmed with a smirk.

• • •

Savanna's hands shook violently as she unlocked her phone, her blood sugar was dropping along with the adrenaline rush, and because of the blood loss from her head, the world was spinning and she was starting to see two Hens.

"I still can't get a signal." Hen spoke.

"Yeah, me either." Captain Strand spoke.

"So how long have you been married? You mentioned a wife. And that's a shiny rock around your neck." Owen pointed to the Savanna's engagement ring which she wore on a chain around her neck when she was on the job.

"Almost eight years now. Karen. She's a rocket scientist." Hen spoke Proudly.

"A literal rocket scientist?" Strand asked surprised.

"Total badass," Savanna commented.

"Well, she's a stay-at-home rocket scientist at the moment. Cutbacks at JPL." Hen smiled.

"You." Strand looked at the blonde.

"Engaged nine months. Eddie, he's the one who went with your team up to the youth camp."

Captain Strand's face lit up in regonzation, "The soldier." he recalled.

"Hmm." Savanna hmmed with a smile.

"You have kids?" Owen asked trying to keep the conversation going.

"Denny is ten. And our little Nia, she's three." Hen's smiled even more.

"Two, Sabrina is Sixteen and Chris is nine. You?" Savanna asked.

"One son. TK. You might have met him. He works with me. He's probably climbing the walls right now." Savanna didn't know who TK was.

"Now that you mention it, I did notice the resemblance at the briefing." Hen spoke.

"Yeah, people say that. I think he looks like his mom, Gwen. If the plague was good for one thing, it was getting us back together. After 15 years of being divorced, it looks like we're giving it another go-around, which sounds crazy as I say it out loud." Owen told them.

"I'm sorry," Owen spoke looking to his left.

"For what?" Savanna asked worried.

Owen looked back over to them and then to the entrance and his eyes widened. Smoke began to blow into the cave making Savann's lungs contrict.

"The wind has shifted." Strand stood up.

"We gotta find another way out." Savanna quickly stood up coughing.

"There is no other way out," Strand spoke.

"If the wind keeps blowing smoke in here, we won't last ten minutes." Hen coughed out.

"Shut up. I said shut up!" Owen screamed and both women whipped towards him with wide eyes.

"Captain Strand, I believe you're talking to somebody who's not here," Hen informed him softly.

"I'm aware. But he did give me a good idea." Strand quickly walked over to the box of dynamite.

• • •

"You sure it's still here? Maybe they deployed it." TK and Buck were currently sneaking over to where all of the trucks were stored. "Not according to the board," Buck spoke.

"All right, go, go, go, go, go." The pair scurry to the trucks crouching between them.

"Hey. You know you don't have to do this. There's no reason for both of us to get fired." TK glanced at Buck.

"Hey, Hen's one of my best friends and Savanna's practically my sister. they would do the same thing for me." Buck told him.

"Okay. Oh, hey, here it is. Let's go." TK stopped in front of the 118 truck.

"Uh, no. That's not it." Buck shook his head.

"What do you mean?" TK asked confused, "118, Los Angeles. Let's go." He read the numbers.

"Yeah, no, we're not taking that. Bobby would kill me if I brought it back all scratched up. No. This is the key to your truck." Buck spoke walking a row over to the 126s truck.

"Hey, dumbass. Dumbasser. Did you stop and consider the consequences of what you're about to do at all?" Judd spoke as he and Strickland approached Buck and TK.

"You obviously don't know Buck." Eddie and Marjan came up behind them.

"You two didn't seriously think that you could sneak off and drive into wildfires, did you?" Marjan glared at them

"Yes?" TK asked.

"Well, that ain't gonna happen," Strickland spoke.

"You think you're gonna stop us?" Buck glared at Eddie.

"Stop you? We're going with you." Chavez spoke.

"Come on, let's go." Eddie patted Bucks back as they moved to the truck.

Eddie's knee bounced up and down nervously, "She's okay. She's Savanna." Buck spoke looking Eddie in the eyes.

Eddie simply nodded, Savanna was a fighter anybody who knew her knew that but everybody had their limits and she just crashed from hundreds of feet in the sky into a blazing hot wildfire.

• • •

"You think these being 100 years old make 'em more or less stable?" Hen asked.

"Definitely less," Savanna answered.

"You see the crystals? That's nitroglycerin. It sweats out of the dynamite after years and recrystallizes. Definitely makes it more volatile." Captain Strand told them as they gently picked up the boxes.

"Kay, put it down nice and easy." Savanna bites back a cough until she sets the box down.

"God. I hope this isn't overkill." Savanna mumbled releasing a string of coughs.

"Better to have too much than too little," Strand spoke.

"Give me your brush jackets." Hen spoke.

"Feeling chilly?" Owen quipped.

"If we're gonna lock ourselves in a mine, we may as well leave a marker outside just in case somebody comes by," Hen informed them.

"Smart," Owen spoke as he and Savanna both shrugged off their jackets.

"Try not to blow us up." Hen spoke as she left the tunnel.

Savanna pulled mark deeper into the cave making sure the oxygen mask stayed on his face as Captain Strand set up the dynamite.

"Okay." Hen came back a second later with a stick on fire.

"Are we actually doing this?" Savanna asked.

"don't think we have much of a choice. Unless dying of smoke inhalation is your thing. Wanna do the honors?" Owen asked Hen.

Hen looked at Savanna who gave her a nervous nod, bending down Hen set the line on fire, "Go, go, go." They rush deeper into the tunnel as the explosion goes off shaking the ground as rock crumbled down blocking them into the cave.

"You guys okay?" Savanna asked lifting her head.

"Yup." They both coughed.

• • •

Savanna leaned against the walls of the cave the cut on her head stopped bleeding. It still hurt to breathe and it was only getting worse the longer they were closed in. They each had their oxygen masks sparingly.

"Is it just my traumatic brain injury, or does the air in here feel a little thin?" Owen asked moving the mask off his face.

"Every time we exhale, we poison the air a little bit more," Savanna spoke, her throat scratchy and dry.

"Unventilated mines fill up fast with CO2, nitrogen, and water vapor. It's called black damp." Hen told them.

"Maybe this wasn't the best plan." Owen sighed.

"It was the only plan." Savanna told him.

"I should never have let you get on that chopper. I'm sorry." Owen apologized.

"What are you talking about? You're invincible, remember?" Savanna joked.

"Yeah. It's the... people around me that tend not to be." He frowned.

"Is that what's been haunting you? Someone who didn't make it?" Hen asked.

"The people who didn't make it couldn't fit into this mineshaft. But recently, a paramedic... got killed not two feet from me." Captian Strand told them.

"It's brutal. Brutal sometimes. Being the one who survives." Savanna spoke staring at the muddy ceiling.

"Yeah, pisses me off. I lost 14 of my brothers on 9/11. We all went into the tower, but... I'm the only one who walked out. I've never admitted this to anyone. I've never forgiven them." Savanna looked at Captain Strand she understood that anger, the anger of being the one to live, dying was the easy part, being the one to live, that's way harder.

"You got a lot of guilt about it," Hen stated.

"I've got guilt over everything. Over surviving, over forcing my son to follow in my footsteps, over the failure of my marriage, over... telling this all to a complete stranger."

"We're probably gonna die anyway," Savanna spoke lightheartedly.

"Now you're just trying to cheer me up." Strand smiled as Savanna coughed out a laugh.

"I was fifteen when my sister was shot and killed in front of me it was in our school hallway, a place where we were supposed to be safe... I spent most of my teenage and early adulthood in anger and guilt. Captain, you're not the only one locked in here with ghosts." Savanna's head began to feel light she tried to fight it even as Hen and Owen called out her name and right as she gave into the swore she could hear Athena calling out to her, then it went black...

• • •

Eddie's heart stopped when he saw the caracoled helicopter, seeing it made it feel ten times more real.

"Savanna! Savanna!" Eddie screamed running for the helicopter his muscles felt like elastic bands being pulled so tight they were about to snap.

"Cap!"

"Hen!" Screams from all of them filled the air. "It's empty! It's empty there not in here! They made it out." TK screamed from the inside of the helicopter which he climbed into.

Eddie tried to force his mind back into firefighter mode and not panicked boyfriend mode, he tried to trick his mind into believing this was just another call. This wasn't just another call though, this was Savanna, his Savanna, if he lost he'd lose his mind.

"Hey, let's fan out and let's search this area here, yeah?" They all disburse looking for any sign of the three missing firefighters and pilot.

"Hey, I see them!" Marjan screamed getting their attention.

Eddie's eyes fell on the brush coats in front of a pile of rubble. "Savanna," Eddie mumbled running towards the pile instantly beginning to throw pieces of wood off of the entrance the rest of them joining him.

They finally got enough of the wood moved for them to see inside, "Hey I see them!" TK announced.

Crawling through the hole. Eddie was quick to get to her, "Savanna!" Eddie ran over to Savanna whose face was covered in blood.

Eddie grabbed her neck checking for a pulse relief flooding him when he found her heartbeat. Savanna's eyes opened lazily her head falling against Eddie's hand, "Hey. Stay with me. Stay with me. I got you. I got you." Eddie mumbled pulling her into his chest.

"Eddie!" Buck yelled.

"I've got a pulse," Eddie told Buck who was with Hen.

• • •

Savanna's vision was blurry as she opened her eyes squeezing them closed she opened them to see a slightly more clear tent roof. Looking to her left her eyes fell on Eddie who stood by the cot, "Hey." Eddie whispered brushing some hair out of her face.

"Are you real?" Savanna mumbled.

"Very real," Eddie confirmed.

Savanna pushed herself up into a sitting position, "How bad am I?"

"Big cut to your forehead, a grade three concussion, your ribs are bruised, the usual smoke inhalation but you'll be okay, thank god," Eddie told her softly.

"Bobby and Athena heard what happened and have been calling every hour since to check on you," Eddie told her.

Savanna smiled leaning her head on Eddie's stomach and he began to play with the ends of her hair as Hen and Buck approached the bed.

Savanna grabbed Hen's hand and squeezed it, "we survived a helicopter crash." Savanna stated.

"Yeah, we did."

"Bobby's going to kill us."

"Yeah, he is," Hen confirmed quickly.

"Commander dismissed all the out-of-state crews. The rain last night contained the fire." Buck informed them earning a sigh of relief from them all.

"El Paso is on the way home," Eddie spoke up looking at his team.

"Meeting the parents?" Savanna asked her stomach filled with dread.

"Yup. Okay. Yeah. Fun." Savanna mumbled to herself.

• • •

Savanna stood pushing the last bag into the truck compartment, "Thank you." Savanna turned around.

"You must be Captain Strand's son," Savanna spoke observing how he resembled his father.

"Tyler Kennedy but I prefer TK." TK held his hand out.

"Savanna Gray." Savanna introduced herself shaking his hand.

"Thank you, my dad's capable but I don't think he would have survived without you two," TK told her.

"It was a group effort. And we definitely wouldn't have survived if you and Buck did steal the truck so thank you but I'm starting to believe your dad is right about him being invincible." Savanna spoke genuinely.

"It was nice meeting you TK." Savanna bid him goodbye making her way to the med tent.

• • •

Savana approached Buck and Eddie who stood by the truck doors. "Ready to meet the parents?" Buck raised an eyebrow at Savanna.

"I meet them at his graduation" Savanna countered trying to calm her nerves.

"Yeah but then you were just his friend Savanna, now you're his soon to be wife, it's a whole different types of meeting." Buck spoke not picking up on Savanna's panic.

"It's going to be fine." Eddie wrapped a confronting arm around her waist.

"I've never met parents before I've barely met my parents," Savanna spoke nervously.

"It's gonna be great." Buck tried to soothe her.

"Hm." Savanna hummed reluctantly.

• • •

"Do you're parents know that you two are engaged?" Hen asked as he pulled onto the road leading to Eddie's childhood home.

Eddie opened his mouth and then closed  it. "They don't know we're engaged!?" Savanna shouted in disbelief.

"Do they even know you two are together?" Buck joked.

"Oh my god, oh my god," Savanna mumbled as they stopped outside of a cute decently sized brick house.

"I wanted to tell them in person." Eddie defended himself.

"We're here," Hen announced as they parked. It wasn't like it was the first time Savanna had met Helena and Ramon but it was the first time she was meeting them as anything more to Eddie than just a friend and coworker.

Savanna lagged behind the group hiding behind Buck as they entered the house. Buck glanced over his shoulder at Savanna his eyebrows scrunched in concern."Ma! Pa!" Eddie called out as they walked in.

"Edmoundo!" Helena came rushing out of the kitchen to greet her son, her husband behind her.

Helena pulled her son into a hug, "We were shocked to receive your call." Ramon spoke looking at his son.

"But I love cooking and we have plenty of room for all of you." Helena smiled.

Eating was the last thing Savanna wanted to do even though she hadn't done so in a little over twenty-four hours. Her fist clenched and unclenched and her tongue suddenly felt too big for her mouth. Buck subtly glanced at the blonde beside him noticing the way her breathing picked up a little. Buck grabbed her elbow firmly making her look at him, he sent her a toothy grin while squeezing her below twice. Savanna took a deep breath calming herself down a little, she'd just survived a helicopter crash and she was panicking over meeting Eddie's parents. As ridiculous as it sounded Eddie had told her about Shannon and his parents.

"Mom, you remember Buck, and Hen from my academy graduation, and Savanna." Eddie refreshed her memory on their names.

Helena smiled at them, "Of course I do! It's nice to see you all again." Helena greeted them.

"Thanks for having us." Hen thanked them.

"We saw the news coverage of the fires, they said a helicopter went down," Ramon spoke glancing at the eating first responders. Hen and Savanna make eye contact from across the table.

"Yeah, no one was seriously hurt though," Savanna answered picking up her glass of water in front of her and gulping it. Eddie placed a hand on Savanna's thigh rubbing comforting circles.

"It's a miracle, they had footage of it crashing," Helena mumbled from next to her husband.

Savanna's eyes widen realizing Sabrina would probably see it. "That's a very gorgeous ring," Helena noted the ring on Savanna's hand catching her eyes

"Congratulations." She smiled at Buck and Savanna.

"Oh no, we're not together." Savanna denied at the same time Buck said, "Oh god no I would never date her."

Savanna's head snapped towards Buck looking offended, "Wow, Evan you didn't need to sound so repulsed by me." Savanna glared.

"No, that-that.... You're like my sister!" Buck defended himself.

"Oh," Helena spoke.

"Actually..." Eddie spoke and Savanna shook her head which Eddie ignored.

"Mom, Dad. Savanna's my fiancée." Ramon's eyes snapped up from his plate looking at his son. Helena's fork clanked against the plate as she dropped it.

"Oh god," Savanna whispered shifting in her seat.

"When did this happen?" Ramon asked.

"I asked in January," Eddie answered squeezing Savanna's thigh.

"Oh wow." Helena tried to compose herself.

If dinner wasn't awkward before it was now. "So, Savanna where are you from?" Ramon tried to make small talk.

"LA," Savanna answered keeping a polite smile on her face.

"Any siblings?"

"A brother and sister." Savanna hesitated saying the sister part.

"Well, we can't wait to meet them. Do you have any children?" the familiar empty feeling settled in Savanna's chest, we can't wait to meet them. All of the first responders glanced at Savanna as she went quite a distance look growing in her eyes.

"Savanna has a daughter Sabrina, kids a pain in the as– ow!" Hen stomped on Buck's foot before he could curse. "She's a perfect angel." Buck corrected himself sarcastically. Savanna fidgeted with her ring.

"I'm sorry I can't take this anymore this is absurd! It's laughable, Shannon leaves and then dies and you just move on with a woman we barely know!" Helenas' calm composer finally broke as she slammed her hand on the table.

"Oh look it's Bobby! Buck come on." Hen spoke quickly.

"Uh, why do I..." Buck received a harsh stomp to his foot.

Buck glared at Hen who gave him a look, "Now, Buck." Hen demanded.

Savanna hated this, she hated confrontation when it came to defending herself if it was someone she loved she would have the ability to fight tooth and nail to defend them but as soon as it was herself she felt like a scared fifteen-year-old girl again. It was something she was trying to work on.

"This is irresponsible, we don't feel comfortable with you leaving Chris with this woman! I mean seriously Edmundo there is no possible way you know this woman enough to trust her with Christopher you barely even know her! She's probably just using you and soon she'll just up and leave like the last one." Helena hissed out her words.

"Don't sit there and disrespect a woman who is no longer here. Say what you want about me but not her she is the woman who gave me my son and she did the best she could." Savanna hissed back her jaw clenching.

"You will not sit there and disrespect me in my own home!" Helena almost yelled.

"You're right I won't." Savanna nodded and calmly stood up.

"Savanna..." Eddie whispered.

"I'm gonna go check on Hen and Buck." Savanna's tried her best to keep her voice from breaking but her attempt was useless. Eddie's fist clenched his glare setting on his parents as Savanna walked out.

"How dare you," Eddie's voice was calm but it was deadly, "You don't ever get to question her ability to be a mother or wife. Shannon leaving was just as much my fault as it was hers. I won't let you walk over Savanna like you did Shannon, neither of them deserves it. Savanna is one of the best things to ever happen to me, she makes me believe I'm worth something like all the bad I've ever done was somehow worth it because I get to wake up next to her every morning and I get to take care of our two amazing children with her and I won't let you two ruin it. I don't deserve that woman for all the times I've messed up but she's stood with me like a lighthouse guiding me through the dark. The way she loves Chris is something spectacular, it's something I've always wished for Chris since Shannon. She is my forever she's the mother to my children and nothing you say or do will ever change any of that, so if you have anything negative to say you can keep it to yourself."

Savanna stood outside of the Diaz house she was able to hear every word Eddie said to his parents due to the outside door being open so the cool spring air could flow in through the screen door. She squeezed her eyes closed her heart fluttering in her chest.

Savanna's eyes snapped open when she sensed someone in front of her, she calmed to see Eddie. "I'm Sorry about dinner." Savanna apologized weakly.

Frustration was clear in Eddie's eyes, "It's okay." Eddie gave her a reassuring smile.

He grabbed her face as tears clouded her eyes, "I didn't want it to go this way." Eddie whispered.

"Eddie..." Savanna's stomach churned, "I don't want to ruin your relationship with your parents." Savanna felt like razor blades were filling her throat.

"Mi amor, they'll get over it." Savanna sighed leaning her head on Eddie's shoulder.

Eddie's phone began to ring he pulled it out of his back pocket and winced. "What?" Savanna asked not moving.

"It's Brina she called me right before he left to search for you guys and I kinda...sorta... Ignored it." Eddie grimaced at his words.

"You ignored our child! What if she was hurt." Savanna looked at him bewildered.

"Bobby would have called." Eddie defended himself by answering the phone.

"Hello," Eddie answered the phone on speaker.

"Chris! Stop it's my phone I get to go first!" Sabrina complained and rustling was heard on the other side of the phone.

"I'm younger," Chris argued.

"I'm older," Sabrina complained.

"Speakerphone exists." Savanna quipped.

"Oh, right," Sabrina mumbled.

"Are you both okay?" Eddie asked.

"Of course we are," Chris answered the question like it was the dumbest question ever.

"When are you guys coming home?" Sabrina asked.

"We should be back by early afternoon tomorrow," Eddie answered her.

"Okay, see you guys soon love you," Sabrina spoke.

"We love you too," Eddie told her hanging up.

Savanna let out a big smile looking Eddie in the eyes, "I love you." She sighed.

"I love you more." Eddie kissed her forehead.

Savanna took a deep breath, "I'll be right back." She told him to enter the Diaz residence again.

Savanna found Helena and Ramon in the living room, both speaking quietly but angrily to each other. "His favorite color is Navy blue," Savanna spoke catching their attention, "Chris will say he likes red because that's Buck's favorite color but it's really a deep orange. Chris hates the crust on his sandwiches, he also hates bologna like his dad. Eddie is a die-hard country fan even though he refuses to admit it. he's horrible at cooking and I mean he burt the instant mac and cheese that you just add water to. On cold and rainy days his wrist and shoulder hurt from when he was shot. I can always tell when he is having a bad day because he gets this look in his eyes that kinda resembles a shelter puppy. His nightmares are worse around summertime because that is when the helicopter went down. I love your son, and I love his son with everything in me so much so that it's terrifying. I could never ask Eddie to choose between me or you guys and I never want him to think he has to. I know your son, the good, the bad, and the ugly and I accept it with every fiber of my being I'm not leaving him even in death." Savanna spoke secncerly looking Helena and Ramon in their eyes.

Ramon and Helena looked at each other before looking at Savanna, Helena stood up, "We owe you an apology Savanna, I owe you an apology." Helena drew in a deep breath, "It's clear that you love my son and grandson."

"I do," Savanna confirmed.

"I think we just need some time to adjust to each other. But I want to get to know you as my daughter-in-law." Helena spoke softly to Savanna.

"I would enjoy that." Savanna nodded grinning widely.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Author speaks: I'm rewatching pretty little liars for the 1,346,890,987 time, how tf did I never notice Ryan guzman is in the fucking show?!  Also Savanna and Eddie own a special place in my heart. And can we talk about the rookie season 6 premier it was so good!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69K 2.3K 37
Alexandria Rivers has been fighting to survive her entire life. Joining the 118 was her first moment of peace, and eventually two guys show her how t...
31.7K 1K 21
now i can't say goodbye if you stay here the whole night. evan buckley x female!oc © flurryfawns 2023 part one of the BURNOUT series.
563K 11.1K 63
In which a firefighter falls in love with her best friend. Or In which Evan Buckley finds the meaning of true love Cover by and graphics by Lamnt...
54.5K 1.9K 29
In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4]