For The Country

By WolfInquisitor

Ella is a good daughter. She'll gladly marry a prince from the wilderness if it guarantees a peace between Br... More

Prologue
First Meetings
The Hunter and The Princess
Of Names
Secrets Revealed
Customs, Customs
Some tea, Lord Hunter?
Some coffee, Princess?
A Brief Rest
A Proper Date
Doctor's Orders
The Day Before
The Other One
Engagement Party, Revisited
Hidden
Bittersweet Goodbyes
Epilogue: Challenge Shared

The Engagement Party

573 19 6
By WolfInquisitor

The banquet was very fancy.

The banquet room was filled with people, all of the tundrians that had arrived and many Brivs that were deemed important enough to be invited. For now everyone was loitering around the dining hall with glasses of champagne, and Ella was hiding in a corner to rest from the constant congratulations and small talk.

"Are you nervous, dear fiancée?"

Kava appeared from behind a corner.. He was in his usual attire, but he looked worn out from the event. Even if rarely any Brivs initiated talks with tundrians, he was still in the center of attention. He came close to her, closer than customary, and put an arm around her waist. She leaned back into him, careful of their champagne glasses. He was soft around her.

Nobody could see them there, hidden outside behind a potted tree. She relaxed.

"Don't be so forward, Lord Hunter." She said teasingly. "We're not engaged just yet. Only at the end of the banquet, after the speeches when it's announced we'll be engaged. Provided we both agree."

"Should I be worried?" He murmured gently, and she laughed.

"I don't think there is anything that could make me say no. Unless there is some terrible secret you've been hiding all this time."

He was quiet, and she realized her jokes were not jokes in this contex. He had a secret. She had forgotten. She had also forgotten that she made him promise to tell her before the wedding. The event was still some time away, but he was clearly thinking about it.

"There is something I'd like to talk to you about." He said quietly. "There will be a break after eating but before the dances and official speeches. I would like to talk then."

"You can tell me now." Right before the engagement would be the worst time if she hadn't known, she could act in emotions and break it off. Thankfully she already knew. "What is it, Kava?"

He shook his head.

"I need more time, but I can't– "He breathed out. "After dinner."

"I will wait for you."

Kava nodded, and then put something in her hand.

"A gift. I promised I would give it to you when I finished."

She looked down. It was a wooden wolf. It was small but full of details. It was sitting, and the wood seemed like real fur in some places. She almost expected it to be fluffy, but it was just wood.

"It's beautiful." She gasped in delight. "I'll treasure it forever. I shall look it over when I'm alone."

"Of course. Have a pleasant evening."

He left, blending into the shadows. She sighed in delight. He would finally tell her about his sickness, and they would be engaged after the event. There had to be a disaster to stop this wedding, because there was nothing that could stop her from marrying Kava. He was strong and powerful, but also kind, oh so very kind, and understanding. He wanted to hear what she had to say, and he wanted her to be comfortable. Her heart sped up when he was near, a pleasant shiver running through her body. She was always happy to see him. If this wasn't love, she didn't know what was. She had always been afraid of a wedding out of duty, but she was lucky for it to be one of love at the same time. She wanted Kava, and she knew he wanted her too.

She couldn't wait for it to be official.

She was almost bouncing in place throughout the meal. Kava was more nervous, sitting opposite her and fidgeting with wolf skin, but they traded smiles whenever they could.

King Vasil had drank some, so he was jovial, happily chatting with nobles next to him. The wild king also was in a good mood, toasting with his people every few minutes. The divide was clear, one part of the ballroom wild and new, the other one stagnant and Brivish. Wild animals and humans.

Ella waved to Kava and he smiled. Nobody was paying attention to their little silent talk.

King Vasil got up, raising his cup. Relative silence befell the room, some people too drunk to be quiet. He didn't mind. He was clearly in a good mood.

"I know, I know, the speeches are supposed to be after the feast." He waved his hand, his tone light. "Nobody wants to listen to a speech when they're stuffing themselves with food."

A few chuckles resounded in the room.

"I just wanted to make a toast for our esteemed guests. They have brought much life into this palace." Vasil raised his goblet. "To Tundrians!"

Everybody raised their cups. Kava followed as well, much less enthusiastically. He rolled the eyes at honorifics. The wild king smiled at Vasil, presenting his cup.

"I must say, I am very glad my daughter will have such a strong Lord Husband. I'm sure she is just as delighted for a powerful partner."

Ella smiled gently to the crowd, but most importantly to Kava.

"Ah, I remember when I married Petunia. We were both very young, but our marriage stood strong. This will be the case for our children as well. Your son, Savi'ka'em, and my daughter will have a bountiful life. With such a powerful man by my daughter's side I will never be anxious about the peace between our countries."

Savi and Kava furrowed their brows. The tundrians moved uneasily, some murmurs starting among them. Kava leaned to his father, asking about something quietly.

Vasil didn't notice anything, continuing his talk.

"Yes... A strong man is the base of a good family. Soon enough there will be many offsprings running around the palace. My daughter will be happy with your son, I can guarantee."

Talks among tundrians became a little louder. Now King Savi was frowning as well, explaining something to Kava. Ella tilted her head, confused.

"With a steady hand like that, your son will be able to keep a good household, let me tell you. Back in my days..."

King Savi'ka'em cleared his throat loudly to interrupt him. Vasil closed his mouth, expecting a speech from the other king.

"I think there has been a misunderstanding, King Vasil." He said loudly. The talks stilled in the room, everybody paying attention to the wolf king. "In our exchanged letters you asked for my firstborn to marry your daughter. I agreed, so I brought Kave'le'aha with me. Kave'le'aha is my firstborn. My firstborn and my only daughter."

Ella's mouth opened in surprise as she regarded Kava, who seemed mostly confused about the interaction along with all of the tundrians. Now the Brivish part of the engagement party started whispering, unrest rising. That made tundrians more tense. Ella could only stare at the man— woman in question.

"Kava is... a woman?" She breathed out, her eyes wide. Kava seemed to hear her, tilting her head with a frown.

"Haha... King Savi'ka'em, you surely must be joking." King Vasil laughed uneasily, trying to cover up. "I asked for your successor. Your firstborn."

"That's exactly who I offer." Savi gestured towards Kava at his side. "Kava was born first, and she's next in line for the Great Tundra throne. As we promised."

"But... she's a woman!"

"Is that a problem?" Kava spoke up for the first time in public, standing up.

Her posture was imposing, her voice full of restrained rage. Dia pulled at her sleeve to make her sit down. Ella had thought her voice was not as deep as she had expected, which would make sense if she was a woman. It was a higher voice for a man, but a lower one for a woman. It fit. Ella just hadn't thought of it that way before. She put a hand on her mouth in shock. She had kissed a woman. She loved a woman.

"Of course it's a problem!" King Vasil exclaimed, bewildered. "The institution of marriage is sacred. It should be between a man and a woman! There has to be a man in the house. Two women— it's unacceptable!"

Kava's expression became dangerous. King Savi'ka'em pulled at her sleeve with stern expression and she sat down.

"I assure you, king Vasil, Kave'le'aha will be a perfect Lord Husband. We already discussed armies, lands and titles. You know she can provide for her Lady Wife. We've talked about it all already." Savi said calmly. The tundrians started murmuring louder. "Everything is as discussed and agreed on."

"No. She's a woman! This can't be."

"Is this really that much of a problem? In Great Tundra there is little difference in lifestyle, only biology. Women hunt just as men do. They fight, they build houses, they provide. There is no difference."

"Of course there is!" Vasil exclaimed. "There has to be a man of the house. Women are too weak minded to live by themselves."

Now the unrest within tundrians turned into angry whispers. Ella suddenly wondered how many of the warriors there were actually women. She knew there was Dia, but she had assumed that she was the only once since she was a healer. Half of them could actually be female. All of them. She would be none the wiser. Their attire didn't differentiate them from men. This was indecent. Weird.

"There is no problem. They could marry and keep peace between our countries."

"You wish to taint my daughter's innocence with such ideas. Look at her, how traumatised she is!" Vasil pointed at Ella who could only sit there, frozen, covering her mouth. "Kave'le'aha tricked all of us. This marriage can't happen."

"There was no deceit happening." Savi furrowed his brow, holding Kava's arm tightly so that she couldn't stand up. She clearly really wanted to, gritting his teeth, but he wouldn't allow it. "We thought it obvious. We didn't know you weren't aware of Kava's gender."

"You must have!"

Savi's eyes darkened slightly.

"Are you suggesting we deceived you on purpose, King Vasil?" He asked coldly.

This was a dangerous question. It was one word away from a disaster, from war. Tundrians were armed and already uneasy and angry, and if Vasil said one more word it could start a war. He seemed to realise it in time, calming himself.

"No, of course not. This is simply a misunderstanding." He said, wiping his brow with a napkin. "But this marriage can't happen. I won't destroy my daughter's life like that. We should discuss it privately."

Savi nodded. Kava leaned to him and was saying something in a wrathful tone, but he just cut her off.

"This is an offense to our culture, but for the sake of the future peace I'm willing to start the discussion again." He said to Vasil.

"Great. This banquet is ending right now." King announced out loud. "Our servants will see everyone out."

On that cue the quiet chats gained in volume. The nobles were commenting the events bewildered and in shock. Tundrians were angry, outraged, some rising their voices while talking to their peers. Savi got up to follow King Vasil. Kava hit the table with her hand, getting up and speaking up. Ella could catch only parts of the conversation.

"Of course I'm offended! Everyone is! He thinks of me as lesser because of who I am!"

"Calm yourself. Brivania is behind with thought, you knew that already. We have to make some concessions."

"You're only enabling them. I've already courted Ella. What is his problem?"

"Leave it to me. I'll see how to make this peace happen."

"I wish to marry her."

"We'll see. Now calm down and go to your chamber. I'll take care of everything."

"I want to be a part of the talks—"

"No. You're agitated. Go to your chambers."

Dia and another hunter got up at Savi's gesture, keeping a hand each on Kava's shoulder. She clenched her fist but turned on her heel and let them lead her out.

"Princess. I will escort you to your room." Robert said to Ella. She finally unfroze. "Right away."

"I think I should... talk to Kava." She said, still dumbfounded.

"That would be ill advised. The tension is currently high and we want to avoid offending anyone. Your father wants you out of sight immediately."

She nodded, letting herself be led out to the corridor. The walk to her room seemed endless, but they managed to get there without trouble. Even there she could hear heightened voices of the enraged and bewildered parties downstairs.

"Ella, wait!" She turned aside, seeing Kava taking long strides down the corridor towards her.

Robert closed the door before Lord Hunter could reach them. Ella was too stunned to protest. She stayed under the door, listening. Lord Hunter's voice was wrathful.

"Let me through. I have to talk to the princess."

"Lord Vasil asked to have her escorted to her room right away, Lady Hunter."

"It's Lord Hunter! That's my title and you will address me as such. Now open this door before I gut you like a fish! I just want to talk to her. I will have your head if you don't open the door this instant–"

"Kave'le'aha!" A new voice called out, quick steps running down the corridor. "Come, we have to go to our chambers."

"No, Dia. I need to talk to her."

"No, not like this. We need to go back. You said it yourself, this peace is important. Let the kings talk it through. When the emotions are calmer I'm sure you two can talk."

"Let me go, Dia."

"Think about it. We're not going anywhere. You'll get your chance to talk to her."

A beat of silence.

"You're right."

"Good. Now come."

Their steps left. Robert slipped into the room, pale.

"I apologize, princess. Lord Hunter..."

"Yes, I hear. She said she'd gut you."

"Such words are not fit for a lady..."

Ella sat down next to her window, bewildered. She was still in shock.

"Are you alright, my lady?" Robert asked. "Shall I call for a medic?"

"No. But prepare me a hot tea and leave me be. I have to... I have to think."

He nodded. Ten minutes later she was alone, sitting over a steaming cup.

She reached into her pocket, taking out a small wooden wolf. She looked at it for a moment too long, putting it next to her cup. It was carved with many details, clearly made with care and love.

Ella fell in love with a woman. This was unacceptable. She hadn't known Kava was a woman. Had she known...

Would the outcome be really that different? Her falling in love had nothing to do with Kava's gender. It was about her actions and her words, her treatment of Ella. Kava was nice, and she cared.

Ella still loved Kava, despite it being wrong.

She opened the window to her room. It came out on the inner garden. She could see light on in the whole building, but she knew that one of those lights was Kava's room. She was somewhere out there, no doubt angry at the situation.

Ella grabbed her harp, sitting on the windowsill. She put the wooden wolf , putting it next to her instrument.

"You'll be my audience." She said quietly, strumming the harp.

The melody flew from under her fingers, dancing over the garden into the evening air. She played the same song as on their date, humming along. During the second song she spotted an open window on the other side of the palace, a black wolf watching her intently. She played three more songs until it became too cold to keep the window open. The wolf was watching until the very end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.2K 4.1K 104
Once upon a time, thousands of years ago, men and fae lived side by side. These were often dark times, as men had little means to defend themselves f...
820K 26.8K 42
//Please note this story is under heavy construction! Read at your own risk.// If you look for perfection...
34.1K 3.4K 56
Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Bennett Caldwell, Earl of Kendal. He knows o...
54.9K 1.6K 31
When a depressed and heart broken Ella went to New York to be far away from home, she never thought she would accidentally got into the life of Maxwe...