What if I Tried (A Wednesdayx...

By VictoryGreen8

Wednesday was just getting used to Nevermore. She had actually made a few friends and had her first kiss, tho... More

The Invitation
Here She Comes (It's Enid)
Almost Alone (Wednesday)
Maybe (Enid)
What the Heck (Wednesday)
Couldn't Hold it in Anymore (Enid)
Nevermore (Wednesday)
Quoth the Raven (Wednesday Again)
In it Together (Enid)
Don't Tell or He'll Freak (Wednesday)
Play Pretend (Enid)
You Again (Wednesday)
Visions (Enid)
Unimportant (Wednesday)
Whoa (Enid and Wednesday)
Business (Enid)
Running Far (Wednesday)
Short and Sweet (Enid)
Second Chance (Wednesday)
Heading Away (Enid)
Here You Are (Enid Again)
Die First (Enid)
No (Wednesday)
Emergency (Enid)
Over and Up (Wednesday)
Happily Horrible and Home (Wednesday Again)
Here We Go (Enid)

Wednesday's Woe Of Dancing (Wednesday)

876 17 7
By VictoryGreen8

Wednesday felt murderous. Family was supposed to be one of the only good things— which made it one of the few things she allowed. But Enid's mom was almost unbelievable. That was why Enid seemed hesitant to go to San Francisco. She probably knew her mom would react that way. 

They were now in Enid's room. It was like her side of the dorm at Nevermore. Very bright, sparkly, and pink. It hurt her eyes. A lot. 

"So... now we wait." Enid said slowly, most likely feeling the tension. 

"At least until your mom realizes that I'm a convict." Wednesday said, forcing herself to relax and sit precariously on the bed. "I'm surprised she hasn't heard yet."

"Yeah." Enid but her lip. "Now she won't even hesitate to call the police to arrest you."

"I'm not apologizing for defending you."

"I'm not asking you too. But seriously, you really shouldn't threaten people with guns, even if they're being assholes."

"I'm not promising anything, but I'll try restrain myself the next time this happens." Wednesday said.

"Seriously Wednesday," Enid said, sitting down next to her. "Aren't you even nervous?"

"I don't think that's what I'm feeling." Wednesday turned to Enid. "Aren't you angry?"

"Hell yes." Enid replied. "But I'm also distracted by the fact that Tyler is probably going to murder us and that we left Laurel in the car instead of sneaking her with us."

"Lurch is with her." Wednesday pointed out. "She won't get out. And Tyler won't risk being around all these people. He's not the type to go an a murder spree. He's smarter than that."

"So what are we waiting for, then?" Enid asked.

"I have a gut feeling." Wednesday said. She could feel something was going to happen. And her gut wasn't wrong a lot. 

But in the meantime... "Enid." 

"What?" She asked.

"I want you to know... I don't give a damn about what everyone else thinks."

Enid smiled. "I can tell by the way you're glaring."

"I'm glaring?" She pulled Enid in and kissed. 

"My mom might come in and yell." Enid said, but she didn't seem particularly worried about it.

"Shut up."

"Okay."

. . .

A few hours later, they were still waiting. Being midday, they ate lunch. Wednesday ate some things she packed, while Enid went downstairs to grab something for herself. She told Wednesday she'd rather not eat century eggs. 

The day went on. 

. . .

"Are you sure we made the right call?" Enid finally asked. It had been a couple hours since lunch and Wednesday knew that Enid had already done everything she could think of to keep from being bored. She's even had enough time to convince Wednesday to add some red to the tips of her nails, which Wednesday was surprised she'd agreed. Although Enid had had to use the argument that it would look like Wednesday had just murdered someone. "What if we just came here for no reason and nothing happens? My week of vacation with you is like halfway done." 

"We stay here until something makes us leave." Wednesday said. "We don't have a specific area to investigate, so we can't search around. Dorian is no longer alive, so I can't pyschically spy either." 

"Whatever! You should try anyway." 

"I can't just summon visions, Enid." Wednesday replied.

"I thought you had sorta figured out some control though." Enid said.

"That is different. I wasn't summoning a vision, I was bringing us into one. I have no idea how to see other people. It just happens randomly, remember?"

"But it's still tied to emotions, right?" Enid wiggled her eyebrows. Wednesday gave her a look. "Fine, but you still have to try, Wednesday. We can't just stay here the rest of break."

"Where would I start?" Wednesday stood. She didn't want to have another vision, not really. Her violent fits weren't good for her health. As much glorious torture as they brought her, she didn't want more.

"What makes you most emotional? Like, angry emotional." Enid asked. Wednesday was silent for a moment.

"Whenever I'm forced to endure a positive moment."

"Like dancing to pop music in a super-colorful room?" Enid asked. 

"No. No, I'm not doing that." Wednesday said, her eyes widening. "You're also forgetting I have to touch a certain thing that's connected to what I have a vision about. If I have one when I touch, let's say, a stuffed animal, I might have a particularly horrifying vision about how it was made in the factory. Or a vision about any time and place that it's existed in."

"Oh that's right." Enid said. "Well, I'm out of ideas then." 

Wednesday nodded and sat again. 

"But..." Enid put her hands behind her back and started to act like she was begging. Wednesday braced herself. "Since we have nothing else to do..."

"I'm not listening to a pop song about broken hearts over a breakup and then dancing too it. I'd much rather—"

"Compromise!" Enid interrupted, holding up a finger. "We could listen to a song with lyrics that would fit you but with a beat that would fit me! And we don't have to dance, necessarily, I guess. I mean, you don't have to you if you don't want to."

"Okay, you win." Wednesday answered. "It's about time for another torture session anyway."

Enid jumped up and ran to her CD player. Wednesday was surprised she had one, considering Enid's attachment to her phone. Enid pulled out a book full of cds and inserted one into the player. Soon the room was filled with sound.

I'm only happy when it rains.

I'm only happy when it's complicated.

"What do you think?" Enid asked, jumping to the rhythm. She almost had to yell because of how loud she'd turned up the music. Wednesday shook her head, but her lips twitched. 

And though I know you can't appreciate it, 

I'm only happy when it rains.

You know I love it when the news is bad

And why it feels so good to feel to sad

I'm only happy when it rains.

"That's true." Wednesday commented. Enid was still dancing. She nodded.

"Right?" She said. "Now c'mon Wednesday, I know you want to join in." 

Wednesday considered for a moment then stood up. She took Enid's outstretched hand, then crawled her fingers up Enid's arm. She could tell she startled Enid because she almost stopped dancing. But then Wednesday swung Enid around and started to dance too. She swung her arms and imitated a zombie with her movements. Enid smiled and kept on dancing. 

I only smile in the dark

My only comfort is the night gone black

I didn't accidentally tell you that

I'm only happy when it rains.

You'll get the message—

They were interrupted with a knock on the door. Enid paused the music and Wednesday sat down as she went to get it. Her mom stood in the doorway.

"Turn that music down!" She ordered. "You have a visitor anyway." She left and a woman stepped it. 

Enid stepped back. "Who are you?"

"Hello Enid. Hello Wednesday." She said. She had dark brown hair that curled slightly at the tips and long fingernails that reminded Wednesday a little of Enid's claws. "And I'm the one who killed Dorian."

"Prove it." Wednesday said, standing again. She used the movement to slip their gun into her pocket. 

"All right." She smiled and suddenly they were spinning.

- - -

Hi everyone! I was speculating what would happen in this chapter for a very long time, so I had to decide at the last minute. I think it worked well, though. 

Thank you for all the votes and support! A reminder: if you haven't voted, followed, or shared yet, please do so! I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!

I am open to doing suggestions in my authors notes for other peoples' writings, so message me to see if I'll suggest one of yours if you want. I only suggest people who are kind and write at least fairly well, though. Basically, the people who deserve it.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter! Updates are every other day at 11:00pm EDT. 

-VictoryGreen8

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 4.6K 17
Wednesday gets kicked out of her old school for attacking the swim team. Her parents send her to Nevermore, where there is a mystery that she needs t...
42.9K 838 25
It's been a year since Wednesday has step foot in Nevermore Academy, due to the incidents of last year, most of the school needed to be redone, as we...
7K 127 7
When Wednesday visits Enid in her hometown over break she sees a whole new side to her friend. She's acting irrationally, can't seem to stop glaring...
81.6K 2.1K 61
*THIS STORY IS UNDER HEAVY EDITING!!* Please be patient with me as I go through and revamp some details about the story!! THIS IS A SLOW-BURN STYLE...