Or Else Let Her Be Mine And M...

By Bravebike

Just before Esmeralda's hanging, Frollo decides to give her a last chance to choose him over the gallows. Bei... More

Prologue
Terrible Prison Again
Corrupt, Racist Officials
Quasimodo's Anguish
The Reunion of Esmeralda and Gudule
A Second Arrangement
Sequel to A Second Arrangement
A Cinderella Story?
The Dinner
Philosophical Ramblings in a Cathedral
They're Burning All The Witches Even If You Aren't One
Tu vas me dΓ©truire (encore)
Sweet Cravings
Uncomfortable Advice
The Duke of Burgundy
Bourgogne
Your faithless love's the only hoax I believe in
Vampire
Despair, Limerence and Pain
The Mystery of the Cloaked Gentleman
The Oath
Departure
I So Ugly and You So Beautiful
At Arras
The Demons' Sabbath
I See Sparks Fly Whenever You Smile
Haunted
The Lioness
Plucked Buds Do Not Bloom
The Alchemist's Associate
To Be Two And Yet Be One
Human Hearts Differently Constructed
Pains of the Past
A Wonderful End
If we loved again, I swear I'd love you right
Truth as it was, raw and clear
The Hand of Fate

Conspiracy

63 3 0
By Bravebike

Somebody else was in awe of their beloved too. The bell-ringer of Notre-Dame was in the chamber of his adored bell, Jacqueline, caressing it. The bells were his refuge, his abode. Quasimodo truly did not know what he'd do if not for the cathedral. She was his mother. And a mother's love was always available for her child; even when the father's was not.

His master came to visit him less nowadays, which was a concern to him. Not just because of the effort it took to save food. His master was the only source from which he could gather knowledge about Esmeralda. Despite what she had told him, Quasimodo was skeptical that Esmeralda was in fact well. With how scared she had been of Frollo at her time in the cathedral, he doubted if she would ever be well.

For as long as he could remember, Frollo had warned him from the perils of women. They were, he had taught, carriers of the mortal sin, and their beauty was a trap set by God- a façade that hid nothing but venom underneath. In case of heathens like Esmeralda, her beauty was a trap set by Satan. Her very purpose on Earth was to tempt pious men and divert them from the path of holiness. Women were inherently dangerous, but she was the most dangerous of them all: a witch who lured men to the burning abyss.

He, of course, bought little of it. Despite his loyalty to his master that very well exceeded a dog's, Quasimodo believed none of what he said about Esmeralda. She was beautiful as an angel, not a witch. She was tender and gentle and pure. Just like the cathedral.

That was why he was concerned for her. If she was in any way being hurt by his master, then he would...well, what could he do. He knew that he couldn't hurt his master. He had been the only one kind enough to take him in as an infant. He could jump off the tower in guilt, but that would be of little help to the girl.

'How selfish of me to think that,' he told Jacqueline. 'Die while she lives miserably. If she is suffering, I must live and suffer too.'

His master broke up the moment. 'Again talking to the bells?'

The boy turned around. Frollo placed a basket of fruit on the table, waiting for his adopted son to join.

'I did not expect you to be here,' said Quasimodo. 'It has been some days.'

'It has. The next few weeks too will be quite busy.'

He pulled his chair. 'How are things going for you, master?'

'Oh, very well,' the man replied genuinely. 'I have accomplished a breakthrough in my research, and the Duke of Austria is to arrive, which will bring an end to the Burgundian situation.'

'And for her?'

Frollo smiled to himself. 'She is good. Still adjusting to the ways of a Palace, but we have begun to get along.'

Quasimodo's good eye widened. Not that he had any reason to believe what he was saying, but the reaction was unexpected.

'She has become quite curious about my work and knowledge. I do not blame her- how many Egyptians are educated, let alone intellectuals? There is still a lot for her to learn, but I am sure she will try.' He picked up a berry and smirked. 'I assume that this was not what you were expecting.'

'No. I mean-,'

'You must remember,' he interrupted. 'that she is like a mother to you. You must think of her as such.'

Quasimodo's face contorted involuntarily.

'The sin of lechery is a grave one. And for you, I doubt if you are even capable of touching her without giving her some disease.'

'I do not want to, master,' he immediately denied. 'I am just worried.'

'She is not of your concern, boy,' he said, getting up from his chair. 'She is under my safety. I am her master too. It would be better of you to let go of such trivial matters and focus on your work.'

Quasimodo sighed and went back to Jacqueline. Oh, what he'd do if not for the cathedral.

--

Claude walked out of the bell-tower, satisfied. Surely, disclosing to the lad that he will never be able have the girl served enough water to his fire. Esmeralda was finally showing some admiration for him, and he was not going to let the hideous object foil this. He thanked god that while he himself was not a handsome knight, at least he wasn't Quasimodo.

The boy's betrayal had been appalling. How could he continue desiring someone he knew his foster father wanted? But then, such was the object of his love.

He was about to get on his palanquin, when a soldier walked up to him, holding a thin piece of parchment. 'Sir, a man came up to deliver this to you. When we tried to ask his whereabouts, he ran off into the street. Unfortunately we couldn't trace him.'

The judge opened the parchment curiously. It was in Greek. Strange.

"The Duke of Austria wishes to see you in his quarters tonight. In private. You may bring your palace guards, but none of the King's soldiers are to be brought. Follow the instructions and your secret is safe.'

Very strange indeed.

--

He did not know why had Maximilian come to Paris three days earlier without informing anyone. But he did know that whatever the matter was, he must see to it. Not for the political ramifications, but for the "secret" that the parchment spoke about. So after supper he put on his dependable black cloak, hid his dagger and set off for the manor the unreservedly underprepared King had sent the duke to.

The guard positioned outside was confused. Your honour? We did not receive any announcement of your visit.'

The minister simply presented his palm containing five pieces of silver Livre Parisis. The guard took them without a word and opened the gate.

--

After crossing a barely lit staircase and tense gazes of Burgundian and Dutch soldiers, Claude Frollo finally arrived at probably the biggest room of the manor, the only one with enough light. With no hesitation he took off his cloak.

'Master Jacques? You here?'

'Monseigneur?' echoed the proctor.

The pair were disrupted by footsteps behind them. Frollo turned around to see a man in his early twenties emerging from the dimly lit corridor, casting an overbearing shadow. In contrast to his dignified courtly attire, he had the face of those who hadn't had the relief of sleep for several nights.

'I beg your pardon, sirs, for the hastiness of this meeting. But with French spies around the city, we had no choice.'

Charmolue eyed him in suspicion. 'May we know the objective to this meeting, duke?' Maximilian nodded solemnly, then signalled for both of his guests to sit down. He did so himself and took a huge gulp of water from a jug.

'I think that both of you are already aware of the situation that the Duchy of Burgundy is in.' The guests agreed.

'And now I tell you that I am also aware of the situation you are in.'

Frollo was at a loss. 'What do you mean?'

'Your discovery, Monseigneur.'

How in the name of God.

'What discovery?' asked Charmolue apathetically.

The Duke looked at him unsmiling, 'You very well know what discovery, Master Charmolue. How to transform copper to gold.'

Frollo stood up, fighting a rising panic. 'You dare accuse us of sorcery! Do you not know how austere France is to witchcraft? But what would an uxorious man like yourself know of respecting integrity. I shall not remain here. Do not hold the idea that blackmailing us will help your condition, Maximilian.'

Maximilian's weary eyes almost smiled. 'Relax. Be assured that I will not reveal your secret to Louis. I do not intend to blackmail you; I am here to propose a deal.'

The dubious minister waited for him to go on.

'I need not remind you of the attitude of your country towards alchemy. If the French people get to know of your discovery, they will surely get you hanged, or worse. The University of Vienna, on the other hand, contains many intellectuals who are more open to your branch of Science. One can even say that medicine and alchemy go hand in hand.'

He knew that. Did Maximilian consider him a fool?

'We have plenty of individuals in Austria who will gladly pay you a fortune for your discovery, Monseigneur Frollo.'

He scoffed. 'I do not wish to sell it. I am not unwise to let go of my sway over my own discovery.'

'You shall have your sway. The discovery will be yours to own. Think, how far can you go with your country's system?

Frollo considered the prospect. The young duke wasn't incorrect. He had been so concentrated on finding the secret to making gold, he had lent little thought to what his plan of action would be once he had discovered it. Austria was one of the places who could accept his achievement.

'What shall you obtain from this?'

Maximilian took a look around the room. 'With your discovery you can gain a lot of influence. Once you are partnered with our experts, Louis will try everything he can to get you back. I want you to ask him for Burgundy in return.'

'And then return to Louis's side?'

A sly smile made its way on Maximilian's face as he sat down again. 'Of course not. France will be yours.'

The minister too made his way back to the chair.

'So you are willing to give us a great amount of money and de-facto control of France. Just in exchange of Burgundy.'

'Not just Burgundy, of course. I also want you to ally France with the Habsburgs once it is done.'

Frollo looked at Charmolue, who was looking back at him uncertainly. 'And when and where shall I see your "specialists"?'

'Tomorrow is my meeting with the King. If everything goes well, we will set up a date for a treaty at Arras. I will call my scientists there. You will come with your tools, and I will secretly arrange their audience with you.'

Charmolue cautioned, 'You do know that if you turn out to betray us in anyway, Minister Frollo can put charges on you? And I guarantee, I am a torturer who takes my duty very seriously.'

Frollo creased up, moving towards where Maximilian was seated. 'I am sure he knows of his circumstances, Jacques. His reputation as a capable ruler is eminent.'

The duke narrowed his eyes.

Frollo put an arm on the young man's shoulder. 'My reputation is also an eminent one, Monsieur Habsburg. If you have taken the trouble to conspire all of this, you must be intelligent enough to know that.'

He nodded slowly. 'I do, Monseigneur. I give my word that nothing of the sort will happen.'

The minister walked beyond the chair, inspecting the room.

'It is a French manor,' Maximilian insisted. 'There is nothing to be hidden.'

Frollo stopped at an elaborate basket kept on a table. It contained a finely-made glass flask in it. He picked it up, amused.

'Wine for the King,' Maximilian explained. 'Bourgogne made from pinot noir.'

Frollo studied the bottle. 'A gift, I see. What for?'

'Well, for drinking. And...'

'And?'

'It is, never mind.'

'Now you have instigated my curiosity.'

Maximilian exhaled heavily. 'It is supposed to increase a woman's pleasure in the act of making love.'

Charmolue coughed. The minister snickered and kept the bottle back in its basket. 'Do you think that old Louis will need this?'

The duke looked at him wordlessly.

He took up the basket on his arm. 'I shall take this. Have a good night, Monsieur Habsburg . The journey must be tiring, and you require strength for tomorrow.' The proctor followed after him.

'What do you think of my proposal?'

He paused at the gate to think. 'We shall ponder on it further before coming to a conclusion. But do not worry; your secret is safe.'

Off-topic: Oppenheimer was so beautiful and relevant but very heavy and haunting (fittingly). Barbie was really hilarious and fun, but also kinda heavy?

Anyway, a very good weekend. Really recommend both.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 2 54
Esme had one big fear in life: being captured as a thief by the city's guardsmen and being executed for her crimes, and that so heavily weighed on he...
442 140 35
Published: 22-6-2020 This is part 2 of The Dark Realm series There are two things Emma fears most; Returning to the realm that caused her so much pa...
499 21 8
Κœα΄Ι’α΄‘α΄€Κ€α΄›s α΄„α΄ΚŸΚŸα΄‡Ι’α΄‡!α΄€α΄œ After the Battle of Hogwarts, Lilia Bureaux finds it difficult to let go of the past. Her trauma lies deeper than she thinks, but...
26.4K 788 34
Hello! If you know me I absolutely Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame but believe the disney take that came out in 1996 did the book wrong in many...