A Fox Surrounded in Darkness...

By kindheartedshutin

The Madrigals aren't the only family to be blessed with a gift in their Encanto. There is a second family nam... More

Character info
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Not a chapter
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Not a chapter
Chapter 9
Update-not a chapter
Chapter 10- The Rose-Red Tyrant
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Not a chapter
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Not a Chapter
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20- The Usurper from the Wilds
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Questions for the readers
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27- Beanfest
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30- The Merchant from the Depths
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Life update
Jump Scares
Chapter 36- Camp Vargas I
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40- Terror is Trending
Chapter 41- Camp Vargas II
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44- Terror is Trending (cont.)
Not a chapter
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47- Spectral Soiree
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 (April Fools')
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 22

574 27 1
By kindheartedshutin

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

"Man... If I can't be in the Spelldrive tournament, then what's even the point anymore," Grim frowned as we entered our dorm.

"It's alright, Grim," I tried to cheer him up. "There will be more opportunities to show how great you are."

"What's wrong, Grimmy," Fester asked Grim as he appeared along with Hugh and Ryuu. "Something got ya down?"

"He's sulking because he can't play in the Spelldrive tournament," Hugh answered.

"If you wanna play Spelldrive that badly, why, we can play with ya," Ryuu suggests. "I was the team captain ninety years ago, y'know. The girls in the stands couldn't get enough of me!"

"Yeah, but wouldn't we need seven people," Grim crossed his arms.

"It's not a real match, so who cares," Fester argued. "Let's just play!" We all went outside to the side of the dorm where there was an open field. The ghosts had gotten a disc.

"Alright let's play," Hugh cheered, and the match between ghosts and Grim.

⦕Small time skip...⦖

"Good day," Mr. Crowley calls out to us as the ghosts and Grim take a small break from playing. Well, Grim needed the break, the ghosts not so much. "Playing some Spelldrive?"

"And here comes the Fun Police," Grim frowns. "There goes my good mood, right down the drain."

"I'm pleased to see you're all getting along," Mr. Crowley smiled. "Quite pleased indeed."

"Yeah, they just keep comin' back anyway," Grim growls, as if he wasn't just having fun with the ghosts. "Might as well get along, I guess. Did you want something or..."

"I have a request to make of you both," Mr. Crowley turns the lighthearted conversation to a serious one. "What don't we take this inside?" Grim and I share a look and follow Mr. Crowley inside.

"Seriously," Grim was still very annoyed. "MORE requests? I ain't a part of your janitorial staff anymore, y'know!"

"Oh? You DO recall that I never promised to cover the living expenses you've been racking up, yes," Mr. Crowley brings up. "Hard work can be a beautiful thing, Grim. I'm sure you agree, Y/n."

"Are you threatening me, Crowley," I growled.

"I'll get straight to the point," Mr. Crowley cleared his throat. "There has been a rash of students being hurt in suspicious incidents on campus lately. I'm here to ask you to investigate the matter."

"¿Me estás tomando el pelo?" I exhaled.

"Suspicious incidents..." Grim ponders.

"Grim, no," I state. "We are doing nothing for that man!"

"Yes," Mr. Crowley ignored me. "Students falling down stairs, getting burns from boiling water, and so forth. The specifics of the incidents differ, but Shibishu's office has had a clear spike in patients over the last few days. With yesterday's incident on the stairs, we now have ten wounded students. We're just fortunate that none of the injuries have been life-threatening...yet."

"Ya sure it ain't just kids bein' clumsy," Grim questioned.

"I'm sure many of our students are too distracted by the upcoming tournament to focus properly," Mr. Crowley builds off of Grim's theory. "But this is far more accidents than we've had in past years. Furthermore, all of the wounded students were considered contenders to make their dorm' teams."

"Oooh, NOW this is gettin' interesting," Grim says, clearing invested in the situation.

"So they weren't accidents then," I boredly played along.

"An excellent deduction, Y/n," Mr. Crowley praised me and I rolled my eyes. "However, we have no evidence of foul play. All of the accidents happened in public spaces, and all of the witnesses said the same thing. 'It looked like he was just being careless.'"

"Sounds like they were just bein' careless, then," Grim thought out loud. "Case closed! Glad we could sort that out. Bye!"

"Not the most thorough of investigations, Grim," Mr. Crowley shook his head.

"But this has got nothin' to do with me," Grim frowned. "I can't even participate in your dumb tournament! So what do I care what happens? Ptooey!"

"I'm sorry to hear that—especially after I'd prepared such a magnificent reward for you..." Mr. Crowley tries to persuade Grim.

"Ha! I ain't fallin' for that line again," Grim exclaimed. "I wouldn't do it even for a hundred cans of tuna!"

"But what if I allowed you to participate in the Spelldrive tournament," Mr. Crowley bargained.

"PARDONNE-MOI?!" Grim exclaimed again.

"Should you solve the case, I'll generously permit your dorm to enter the Spelldrive tournament," Mr. Crowley smiles. "What do you say to that? Surely you're dazzled by my altruism? As a participant, the whole world will lay eyes upon your majesty. Just imagine the cheers echoing from the sold-out stadium seats! 'This year's most promising rookie, the mighty Grim, has taken the field! Hurrah!' And so on."

"Oh, man," Grim starts to smile. "It's like I can already taste it..."

"Ah, but of course, you have refused my offer," Mr. Crowley sighed in defeat. "How unfortunate. Let's forget this ever happened."

"No, wait," Grim frowned. "Wait! I'm in! I'll do it!"

"What's that," Mr. Crowley asked. "You'll do it, you say?"

"If you'll let me into the tournament, you bet," Grim smirked. "Right, Y/n?"

"Count me out," I state. "I don't want any part of this."

"Aww, but Y/n," Grim whined.

"No, I'm not doing it," I look at Mr. Crowley. "I don't care that you 'cover' the dorm expenses. You can keep your money and I'll figure out a way to pay the living fees."

"Why are you so against this," Grim sobbed. "I wanna be a famous sports star!"

"You can do that," I snapped. "But I'm not gonna help you!"

"Are you sure that's your choice," Mr. Crowley questioned.

"Absolutely," I put my foot down.

"Whaaat?! I can't investigate this by myself," Grim whined.

"Not my problem, Grim," I sigh. "I'm done doing stuff for you Crowley, especially since I'm still in bandages from the overblot. If the investigation gets to be too tough, let me know and I'll help."

"I'm counting on you Grim," Mr. Crowley smiles.

✩░▒▓▆▅▃▂▁▁▂▃▅▆▓▒░✩

3rd pov...

⦓School Infirmary⦔

"All right, where's this guy who hurt his ankle," Grim asked as he entered the infirmary.

"And who are you, little kitty," Shibishu questioned Grim.

"Hey, it's one of the guys from Ramshackle! He was at the unbirthday party with the fox. What are you doing here?" A student questions, he was wearing a Heartslabyul school uniform. He was beside his friend who was resting on a bed.

"Get a load o' that," Grim smiled. "I'm totally famous, can't wait to tell Y/n."

"What are you doing here then," Shibishu was getting irritated. "I'm quite busy here with the students."

"Oh, right," Grim remembered what his purpose was and cleared his throat. "I'd like to question your accident."

"I wish I knew what happened myself, man," the resting student sighed, looking at his injured ankle. "I was walking along, talking to my friend. And next thing I knew, BOOM! I was tumbling down the stairs."

"Yeah, I didn't even see him stumbling or anything," the injured student's friend had backed him up.

"It was like my body just lurched forward by itself. I can't really explain it," the injured student sighed.

"Interesting," Grim thought out loud. "Veeery interesting."

⦓Classroom⦔

"Hey, you," Grim called out to a student. "You had an accident and almost got hurt real bad, right? Give me the deets."

"And why should I answer to you, exactly," the student scoffed. He was wearing a Pomefiore uniform.

"He was in peak condition for the Spelldrive tournament and got hurt so bad that he can't even play now," the student's friend frowned.

"And you're here to... what, rub salt in my wound," the first student insinuated. "We throw down the gauntlet! Duel us!"

⦕After the duel...⦖

"You're better than I thought," the first student said. "All right, then. I'll give you the skinny."

"It happened in the laboratory," the second student started to explain. "We were boiling u[p a potion when his hands suddenly shot out and grabbed the screaming hot cauldron. He dumped out every last drop. It was bizarre! Made a real mess too."

"Oh, so YOU'RE gonna do all the talking," the first student sassed his friend.

"Interesting," Grim hummed. "Veeery interesting."

✩░▒▓▆▅▃▂▁▁▂▃▅▆▓▒░✩

Your Pov...

⦓Ramshackle Dorm- Entry Hall⦔

"I dunno, this just looks like a bunch of absent-minded kids hurtin' themselves to me," I heard Grim say from the entry way. I was in the lounge studying magic and the ways it works. "If there's a scandal here, I ain't seein' it! Huh? Whozzat?"

"Mornin'," I hear Ace say as he enters the building. "How ya doin', Grim?"

"Oh, it's you," Grim says. I got up from where I was sitting and creeped over to the door to see what was going on. "I'm kinda busy right now. No time for kid stuff. Scram!"

"Busy," Ace asked. "What, you got a lot of homework?"

"Not really," Grim smirked. "So here's what happened..." He explained everything that he heard from Mr. Crowley and what he had learned from the students that he interviewed.

"Injuries from suspicious accidents, huh," Ace pondered.

"But nothin' I heard sounded all that suspicious," Grim shook his head. "It seemed like they were all just excited about the tournament, got distracted, and hurt themselves somehow."

"Ace! We got a big problem," Deuce burst into the building.

"Dial it down, Loosey-Deucey," Ace sighed. "What is it?"

"Trey fell down the stairs," Deuce is close to sobbing. "He's hurt!"

"What," Grim and Ace explained.

"He's the sneaky one with the glasses, yeah," Grim asked.

"That doesn't sound like something that Trey would do purposely," I say as I leave the lounge and join the group.

"Yeah, Trey wouldn't just trip and eat dirt," Ace agreed with me.

"Let's go see what he's got to say," Grim suggested, and Ace and Deuce agreed. Grim looked at me. "Are you coming too?"

"Sure, I'll come this time," I answered.

⦓Heartslabyul Dorm- Lounge⦔

"So the headmage asked you to investigate," Riddle sighed.

"I knew it," Cater smiled. "Grim coming by for a get-well visit? That's just plain sus."

"I must admit that I found the circumstances odd as well," Riddle stated. "I've had Cater looking into it for me."

"And I found out that all of the victims have been talented players like Riddle and Trey," Cater shared his discoveries and Grim was nodding his head.

"To be clear, it wasn't as if I had been pushed, or that I tripped," Riddle crossed his arms. "But I did feel a peculiar sensation, like... my body was moving of its own volition."

"The other victims said basically the same thing," Grim frowned.

"I believe we can safely surmise that potential Spelldrive tournament players are being targeted," Riddle observed.

"You think someone is causin' accidents to take out threats from the tournament," Ace asked.

"The whole world will be watching," Riddle said. "A good performance can make a player's whole career. It's no surprise that some would resort to underhanded methods to even the odds."

"Sure, but it doesn't make much sense," Cater spoke up. "I mean, you'd know if you got pushed off the stairs by a gust of wind magic or somethin', right?"

"Certainly, I felt no external force," Riddle replied. "And some of the other victims had accidents in the classroom! How do you explain that?"

"The culprit can tell us all about it when we capture him," Riddle frowned. "And we intend to help you do that."

"YOU'RE gonna help me," Grim growled. "What's your angle?"

"Really Grim," I sighed. "I cannot believe you."

"You offend us, sir," Cater grins. "One of our housemates was injured⎼why wouldn't we help him find justice?"

"We're all house-buds here," Ace smiles. "Count us in."

"He's gonna pay for what he did to Trey," Deuce joined in and pounded his fist.

"You two seem awfully enthusiastic about this," Riddle observed.

"I get it," Cater shook his head. "You're gunning for that open spot on our team, aren't you?"

"Was it that obvious," Ace sheepishly smiled.

"N-no," Deuce rejected the idea. "That had nothing to do with it! I just want to avenge our housemate!"

"Your performance during the investigation will be taken into account," Riddle sighed, done with both Ace and Deuce. Ace and Deuce both cheered. "Now, if we're going to apprehend this culprit, we need to stay a step ahead of him."

"And we're gonna do that HOW, exactly..." Grim questioned.

"By predicting which student will be targeted next and covertly followed him," Riddle explained. "Should the culprit strike, we will protect the target and then immediately pursue the attacker."

"How do you intend to find the next target," I asked.

"I've got this Y/n," Cater smiles. "I've already identified a number of potential targets from among the most promising players. I'll form a group on Magicam so we can coordinate our efforts and then give you access to the album."

"Whoa, Cater, this is a ton of information," Deuce takes a look at Cater's Magicam.

"Now, let's move," Cater announces.

"Let's nail this creep," Grim cheers.

A/n-

¿Me estás tomando el pelo?- Are you kidding me right now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 104 6
Aurora Rose owns a mysterious ring, which was given to her by her mother Aria, though its true purpose is currently unknown. After her long Journey f...
100K 2.3K 35
Breaking down after his gift ceremony, Camilo Madrigal ran away from home and into the woods. Wondering into the woods, he stumbled across a girl hi...
36.7K 788 24
(Y/N) lost her family in a raid at her home village at the age of 4. While running away, she came upon, Casita, the house of the Madrigals. She is ac...
77.4K 1.8K 19
"Another Encanto? You can't be serious...right?" Y/N and their family come from a village a little far from Encanto. They've always known that the "g...