Dream Of Winter | C. Stark...

By Zeo_Mikaelson

If Cregan had his way, he would've declared neutrality and left the Targaryens for their family feuding. But... More

Characters
The Silver Wraith
Green Crown
Paths Of Destiny
Whispers Of Dragons And Betrothals
The Prodigal
The Dragon And The Wolf
The Daring
Northern Intrigue
Brothers
Blood Hunt
Wildest Dreams
Howl
Schemes And Scandals
Lust And Piety
Gods Save The Queen
Hand Of Loom
Abyss
Through The Looking Glass
Phantom
Beacon Of The South
Captivity
The Dark Arts
False Oracle
Frozen Flames
The Sea Snake
Song Of Ice And Fire
The Grand Celebration
Requiem
Court Of The Crimson King
V For Vendetta
Red Storm
Blade Of The Ripper
Judgement Day
The Prince
Search And Destroy
Gone With The Wind
Icarus
Valor
Emerald City
Black Dynasty
Bright New World
Act Two
The Stranger
Natural Mystic
Haunted
Bastards, Cripples And Broken Things
Fools Gold
Manifest Destiny
Magic And Madness
Family Line
Chimeras
Final Masquerade
Empty Garden
Skyfall
Drown
Sand And Water
Dread
Ivory Tower
War Pigs
Children of the Grave
Island in the Sun
Set Fire to the Rain
Calm Before the Storm

A Knight's Homecoming

480 29 0
By Zeo_Mikaelson

Heleana POV

The dragon princess had been disappointed her youngest brother hadn't attended the feast for her betrothal announcement the previous night. He had sent a letter beforehand explaining lord Baratheon's refusal but still she had missed him.

Her surprise at seeing a beautiful silver dragon gracing the skies of King's Landing soon washed away her feelings of discontent.

She fought the urge to hurriedly walk in the corridors while the courtiers were still about.

Her mother was still in her solar talking about some state matter with her grandfather while Aemond was in the library, so that is where she headed.

Her brother had taken to reading about northern greensight and its similarities to Valyrian dragon dreaming. Considering their dual heritage as Targaryens and their maternal Blackwood blood, her visions were showing with more frequency than an average seer.

It was a kindness he suggested to share her burdens in explaining their meaning. Keeping the images that plague her mind dormant and unspoken of was its own sort of prison.

Aemond had taken his usual seat next to the window overlooking the Blackwater.

"Hello brother". She glimpsed at the page he'd been reading. Some of her drawings were next to the old tome.

He looked up to reply, slightly confused."Sister. I thought you were flying Dreamfyre. I could swear I heard a Dragon's roar earlier."

She couldn't resist the smile that spread across her face "Indeed you did. Though I wasn't atop my mount."

"Aegon's still recuperating from last night's escapades. If it wasn't Dreamfyre that could only mean ... Daeron's here." Her brother was as just as excited as she was.

"He's probably returning from the Dragon's pit as we speak. I wish to go and meet him on the way. Would you like to join me?" Her question was not one needing an actual answer. She can't leave the castle without a guard and her brother had longed to be reunited with Daeron. They haven't seen one other since his nameday five months ago.

"Of course. I shall inform mother. She wished to preside over the Warrior day feast later tonight. Perhaps she'll delay a little and prepare our brother a warm welcome." Aemond had locked the book after marking his progress and swiftly but neatly stacked her drawings.

"What of Aegon?" She felt he would rejoice in Daeron's return. If he's still passed out, she doubts her ability to wake him on her own. Aemond had perfected the art of keeping their brother in line, if sparingly.

Her brother's expression changed somewhat. "Send Arryk with a bucket of water. Ask him to douse him by royal order. If Aegon tries to do anything, I'll take responsibility." He left in a hurry.

That's a bit drastic. Surely it won't come to that.

**

She underestimated her brother's love for sleeping it seems.

In the past 15 minutes she tried to wake him by shouting. It hurt her to shout. Her brother seemed peaceful for the first time in ages and she felt guilty at disturbing his rest. But she did it anyway, because she knew he'd appreciate reuniting with their littlest brother.

Then she tried to tickle him. It worked on Ser Criston once. So even grown men weren't immune. Aegon swatted her hand then returned to sleep. He snored in fact, as if to disregard her entire attempt as pitiful and feeble.

Ser Arryk stood to the side, silently bemused with his bucket of cold ice water in hand. It seemed he was an accomplice in Aemond's numerous attempts and thought her brother's demand was acceptable.

Her own patience was wearing thin if she were honest. Finally she leaned close to his ear and whispered "Aegon, Mother wants you to go to Lys as a royal envoy."

It was fascinating how quickly sleep evaporated from her brother's recently shut eyes and filled with a boost of energy.

"What, when". It took him a couple seconds to regain his bearings as he looked around the room, acclimating his eyes to the afternoon rays of sunlight.

Ser Arryk nearly dropped the bucket in his suprise.

Insulting.

As if a dreamer like herself can't glimpse into the dreams of others. Not that she would on a whim. It was embarrassing and traumatizing whenever it happened. And a massive breach of privacy.

Does her wolf dream of her?

No, this is isn't the time.

She could get away with it on this occasion. It doesn't take a Grandmaester with countless chains or magical knowledge to deduce Aegon's fantasies.

"Brother, how fortunate you are awake. Daeron is on his away to the Red Keep. If you can make yourself presentable quickly so we could meet him". She tried to hold the smugness from her voice. She did. But it felt exhilarating doing something like this. Propriety and visions of future doom can allow only so much time for fun.

"Ser Arrk, let us leave our brother to ready himself. We'll be waiting downstairs in ten minutes." She heard Aegon mumble under his breath cursing the Gods for tempting him with false promises as she walked out of the room.

**

No more than five minutes after the agreed upon time, Aegon showed up on the courtyard looking half decent and his hangover not outwardly noticble. His alcohol tolerance was outstanding.

Aemond scoffed on his breath and nearly started riding his horse in earnest before her elder brother ever got on his. Her frown deterred him from his efforts.

Aegon finally took his mount's reins. Quicksilver was a beautiful grey horse from the Reach. A sibling to her own Greyspider and almost as majestic. Aemond's horse was completely black and the fastest of the three. Darkfyre was a gift from ser Tyland Lannister. He no doubt wished to endear his House to Aemond's. And if possible strike a betrothal between her brother and his niece Cerenna.

The three royals and ser Arryk finally left the castle walls and descended to the city. She rarely got to ride on horseback. The carriage wasn't deplorable or anything. She could read or sew on the way to the Pit as the road was bricked and well paved. And she took to sightseeing when she and her mother visited the orphanages in Fleabottom.

Though she felt a certain freedom with Greyspider. Nothing like Dreamfyre for they were two halves of a whole. But a kinship and ease that eluded her elsewhere.

Her company finally made contact with a group of riders flying the Targaryen three headed dragon with the number seven and seventy embezzled on the edge; the sigil of the Dragon keepers.

A silver blond haired youth with shining violet eyes and taller than she remembered lead the party.

Aemond stopped and she followed his lead. Daeron did the same across from them and climbed down his horse.

Aemond helped her down and went to hug Daeron. She was right. They were nearly the same height now. She didn't care personally but poor Aegon. She looked back to confirm her suspicions. He was silently glowering over this perceived injustice.

Daeron hugged her next before stepping back with a theatrical bow. "You were right as always sister. Daeron the Daring at your service."

"You're a knight." She was actually suprised. She saw him being granted the honor but she didn't know it'd happen so soon.

"Hopefully you'll kick Aemond's ass on the courtyard. He'll finally have a taste of his own medicine." Aegon commented as he's wont to do before embracing Daeron himself.

"What were they feeding you in Storm's End. You're as big as a bull, Ser Daeron". Her elder brother lamented one again.

Her little brother both smiled and blushed. She thought him a man changed. It was comforting a hint of the boy yet existed.

"Congratulations, my prince. Perhaps you would wear the white cloak one day". Ser Arryk was a master swordsman. And he was naming Daeron his equal.

There goes that smile gain.

"Let's return to the castle. There's a feast for the Warrior later today. Mother would surely like to sing your praises."

**

Once again at the Targaryen seat of power, the dragon-riders were met with a welcoming party at the central courtyard. Her mother and grandfather of course. Some household knights, courtiers and septons.

Aemond was the first to address the crowd.
"Let us welcome the newly risen Ser Daeron the Daring of House Targaryen."

Cheers spread like dragonfire across the crowd. It was warranted. Daeron might just be the youngest knight in the last century.

When the cries of adulation quited it down, her brother presented himself before the Queen and the Hand.

"You left a boy and came back a man. An anointed knight of the seven kingdoms." Her mother's words were overflowing with rivers of pride.

"Come my son. Let us celebrate the newest child of the Warrior on his sacred day".

Following their mother, they headed for the halls to honor Daeron's achievements worthy of heroic songs.

**

The Archsepton of court had prayed for the souls of the fallen soldiers who sacrificed their life for the Seven and the realm. He promised them paradise for their blessed deeds and encouraged the youth to follow in their footsteps. To die for king and country if needs be.

He then spoke about her little brother's knighthood as a sign of his righteous behavior and strong faith. The Warrior had guided his hand and steadied his blade.

Daeron was then blessed with seven oils and given a sword he dubbed Blueflame.

When he waved it high in the heir, he was met by shouts and claps from the nobles.

Two hours of merriment and feasting had ensued. Aemond and Daeron had asked her to dance but she kept waiting for something, someone. Cregan held to the old gods, he wouldn't celebrate a holy day of the seven.

Yet, she kept waiting for him to appear. It wasn't the feeling she had before a vision. She just wanted to will him into being.

Her hopes were almost dashed until a new arrival came to her table.

Took him long enough.

She wasn't about to think why he was here. Just how much she'll be angry at him later for making her wait for so long.

Her lovable northern fool.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32K 2.4K 26
"i choose you, from this day until the end of my days. i choose you, to hold my heart whether to break or to cherish. i choose you and should you fal...
27.9K 634 5
-----------κ§β˜¦οΈŽκ§‚----------- "My loyalty lies with the Crown which you wear. This will always include your Heir, my brother." -----------κ§β˜¦οΈŽοΈŽκ§‚...
4.1K 213 5
βͺ 𝕯𝖠𝖣𝖣𝖸 𝕴𝖲𝖲𝖴𝖀𝖲 . . . ! ❫ 𓆩♱π“†ͺ ━━━━ ❲ 𝗔 . . . 𝗧𝗔π—₯π—šπ—”π—₯π—¬π—˜π—‘ . . . ❳ γ€Œβœ·γ€ ❛ 𝐈 𝐍 𝐖 𝐇 𝐈 𝐂 𝐇. . . ! ❜ ΰͺœβ€βž΄ β™‘ ⁺ γ€€οΉ’γ€€...
21.4K 498 15
π–πž 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 π…πˆπ‘π„ π–πž 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 sorry for not adding this sooner but SLOW BURN Delusional fanon Aegon Targa...