Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

58

192 13 8
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

Chat Noir's P.O.V

   I was flung into a hut, causing it to collapse.

   "Get up!" I yelled at myself in my head, "Get up! Everyone is depending on you!"

   My body would not respond though. As much as I wanted to stand and fight, my body would not respond. My limbs felt as heavy as a wagon full of rocks. It did not help that there was a wooden beam trapping my legs.

"Oh no," I grunted, trying to shove the beam off of me. The Akuma roared and continued its rampage through the poor section. Much to my misfortune, the creature was still heading straight for our hideout and growing scarily close. It was just a few blocks away from arriving...

   "Chat Noir!"

   Pegasus came racing over to me as the portal closed behind him.

   "You are supposed to be guarding the hideout," I scolded him. He frowned, lifting the beam off of my legs and tossing it aside.

   "And I will still do so," Pegasus confirmed, "But I am going to assist you first. You are in dire need of medical attention."

   "Do not worry about me. Paris comes first," I said, "There is no time to tend to my wounds."

   Pegasus did not like what I said, "Well...do you know where Rena and Carapace are? They are not in the hideout and Rena can take care of you."

   "I am unsure. Just go and fight the Akuma until Ladybug arrives. That is an order," I told him. Pegasus' frown deepened before opening a portal.

   "I made an oath to myself that I would never leave another friend behind again. I have no plans on breaking it and that is a one-hundred percent guarantee. Please, let me at least get you to safety," Pegasus begged.

   I have never seen Pegasus so certain before. He was never bold about his choices unless it had to do with math. He usually kept to himself and followed orders without putting up a fight. This meant more to Pegasus than I realized.

  While I was both respectful and grateful, I wished Pegasus would worry more about the Akuma wreaking havoc than me.

   I suppose I would just make my friend's wish come true so he can return to the fight faster.

   "Very well," I allowed. I tried to stand but my legs and arms argued against my decision. Pegasus quickly swooped to my side and assisted me to my feet. He practically dragged me to the portal, leading to inside the hideout's training room.

   Pegasus laid me out on a mat before leaping to the skylight.

   "Good luck," I told him but he was already gone.

{+}{+}{+}

Five years ago...

Max's P.O.V

I was once again dragged to another awful ball in my parent's hopes of me becoming a suitor. It was the same as any other aside from the place, snacks, and music. Yet, I have been to so many, they all seem to blend.

   I wish to be back home in my room working on my project.

Every host and guest at the parties are awful people, considering that one-hundred percent of them are wealthy snobs, who only talk about how great they are. They are all so pompous and arrogant. I would rather be conversing with a pigeon than all these birdbrains.

Well, all except for one, that is...

"Good evening, Max!"

I smiled as my close friend slipped through the crowd of rich folk.

   Marinette Dupain-Cheng. She was the only good thing to come out of all this mess. We have been friends ever since she joined the Ladies of the Court a few months ago. I was unsure of her at first but once we started to talk while dancing, I found that we had something in common.

   We both share the same distaste for the wealthy and their traditions.

   We have been close since and always sought out each other to survive these dreaded parties.

   "It is a pleasure to see you again, my friend," I replied.

   "Are you enjoying the party?" Marinette asked, sarcastically. After all, this is her home and she is one of the hosts.

   "As much as I usually do," I answered, earning a smile from the lady.

   "Indeed," she agreed, followed by a long sigh, "My mother is getting on my case about finding a suitor before I turn eighteen. It is very annoying."

   "It is the same with me as well, except it is both of my parents," I grumbled, earning a look of pity from my friend, "I am one hundred percent positive that I have no interest in marriage."

   "As am I," Marinette said, "I would prefer returning to the lower levels and continue learning to sword fight."

   "And I would prefer continuing on my project at home," I replied, "You are the only good thing about these parties."

   "Are you still working on that machine?" the curious woman questioned.

"Yes, a machine that converts energy intoelectricity and that runs on the same fuel as a car would use. I am calling it a generator," I explained. I slumped in disappointment and let out a sigh.

"It is quite difficult to work on though when I have to continuously stop. Having to come to these events and training to be the next successor of my father's company take up a lot of time. I do not even want to follow in my father's footsteps. I would have a twenty-two point five chance of succeeding him due to being uninterested," I concluded.

"I understand. I do not want to be some moron's trophy wife, who just stands and looks pretty," Marinette agreed.

A thought occurred to me and made me chuckle a bit. This earned my best friend's attention.

"What is so funny?" she asked, a little offended. She probably thought I was laughing at her.

"I apologize. I am laughing for a different reason," I said.

"And what might that reason be?" she asked.

"I just thought that we should just get married. Then, we would not have to worry about our parents forcing us to hitch with someone we dislike and they would stop bothering us. We would be free to do whatever we please. Although, we would have to keep up the charade," I joked.

Marinette laughed as well, "That is some scheme. I do care for you but not in a romantic way."

"I feel the same way. You are very special to me, Lady Dupain-Cheng. I will always cherish our friendship forever. I would not want anything to ruin it," I honestly spoke.

Marinette smiled.

I returned the gesture before feeling as though we were being watched. I searched the crowd for any signs of someone eavesdropping on us but did not see anything. Strange. I am eighty-three point six sure someone was listening to us or maybe I am just being paranoid.

"Is everything alright, Max?" Marinette asked.

"Oh, yes!" I assured her.

"Everything is okay."

   The ball had finally come to an end a few hours later, much to me and Marinette's pleasure. We bid our farewells before I returned to my parents.

   "My darling, Maximum," my mother began. She was checking her makeup with a small mirror without giving me so much as a glance.

"Yes, mother?" I asked, trying to not sound sour. If she was giving me the time of day, there must have been something that I did to catch her attention.

"You seem to be quite close with Lady Dupain-Cheng. Am I to suspect wedding bells in the future?" she questioned, very pleased.

I rolled my eyes at my mother's largely incorrect assumptions. Of course, she would assume such a thing, considering that was the point of the parties. Yet, I have told her time and time again already that my relationship with Marinette was strictly a friendship.

"For the last time, we are merely friends. There is nothing more between us," I argued, glaring at her. However, if my mother was good at anything, it was blocking out whatever she did not want to hear. She would only listen if it was going her way and under her control.

If anyone were to step out of line, they would be severely stepped on like a bug crushed by a shoe.

"I had discussed arranging a wedding for the both of you with Mr. and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng. They seemed to be thrilled with the idea and-"

"MOTHER!" I yelled. I had enough and snatched her mirror away. Now that she was not focused on herself for once, her focus was on me. She did not appreciate my behavior though, not to be unexpected.

"Marinette and I have no interest in marriage nor do we share romantic feelings for each other! We are only thirteen years old! We are too young to commit ourselves to something that we should do as an adult!" I yelled at my mother.

"You should have known that the moment you first brought the idea to life but the only thing you seem to care for is your reflection!"

My mother was baffled by my sudden uproar. I am usually pretty quiet and have never once fussed over following orders. Yet, this finally drew the line of going too far. I am sick and tired of my mother assuming everything will go her way by simply saying it will.

It was time I stand up for myself.

I threw the mirror out of the carriage and glared at my mother.

"Now that I finally have your attention. You will listen word for word," I stated, "Marinette and I are not going to get married. Nothing you say or do will change our minds."

Mother just sat there stunned before she began to fume with rage.

"You insolent child!" my mother growled before slapping me across the face.

   I could feel something oozing down my cheek. I touched the part of my face that stung only to find my fingers stained red. My mother's long, sharp nails must have scratched me.

"You have disrespected and shamed me for the last time!" she hissed, "I have done so much for you and this is how you thank me? By dishonoring our family name and putting filth on my reputation! I will not tolerate such rebellious behavior! You better marry Lady Dupain-Cheng or else you will be banished to the poor section!"

   If I had to choose anyone to marry, I would choose Marinette. Not that I have those types of feelings for her, but I get along with her far better than any other wealthy lady.

   But as much as I like Marinette, I would prefer to be banished to the poor section. Just to make a statement on how much I despise this life. A life in the poor section has to be far greater than a wealthy one.

   I did not speak my mind though. Instead, I quietly sat down and glared at all the moving scenery outside the carriage. Mother continued grumbling under her breath about my "insolent ideas."

   I could not wait to return and lock myself away in my peaceful room. I can lose myself in my work and forget my worries of the day.

   Hopefully, things do turn out better tomorrow.

{+}{+}{+}

   It had not even been a day yet.

   Yesterday had only been a few hours ago.

   While it was the only morning, it did not take long to receive a letter that would change my life.

   I fell to the floor after taking a beating from my father. Mother stood off the side, ready to blow up. She held a letter, addressed to us from someone.

   "You little brat! Do you know what you have done!?" Mother snarled, shaking the letter to emphasize the meaning behind her words, "You ruined everything! You are unworthy to exist in this household any longer or exist at all for all I care!"

   "She cared?" I blandly thought and rolled my eyes.

   "Why? What have I done that was so wrong?" I questioned, extremely annoyed. She has only been insulting me while father releases his anger by physical means. No one had told me what I had done wrong or why I am currently being punished.

   "This letter was addressed to us from the Dupain-Cheng family," Mother started, referring to the letter in her hand. This grabbed my attention, actually interested in where the conversation was going.

A cold feeling settled in my stomach, having a ninety-five percent chance of a bad feeling that was growing. If my folks were this mad, I must have done something unspeakably wrong...in their eyes at least.

"Due to your ignorance, you have tarnished our name! The Dupain-Chengs have banished you from seeing their daughter ever again because you are a distraction. You either marry Lady Dupain-Cheng or you will be deemed a disgrace," Mother threatened.

I did not need to think this over. I knew the choice I was going to make. I stood off the ground and looked at her directly in the eye.

"I would rather be a disgrace than force my only true friend to do something she does not want," I said with much conviction.

   Marrying Marinette may have been the smart choice. We would have managed to stay friends even if we were wed-locked to each other. But the pressures of this society would always want more. They would never have enough.

   They would ask for us to marry then an heir to continue both family's legacies. They would want us to train the child into submission and seal another to the fate of the rich.

   I would never force Marinette to do anything she does not want or bring a child into a world of black and white.

    It did not take long for my parents to send me off to the poor section. Before I knew it, the gates of my new life were sealed closed. I stood before many less fortunate folk. They treated me with kindness and compassion, much to my surprise.

   As some of the women guided me away from the gates, I looked back at the giant doors. There was a feeling of guilt gnawing at me before I continued forward.

   The only regret I had that day and so forth was leaving Marinette behind and without a friend.

   I would never be able to get to her again and be there when she needed me most.

   Now, I bear the miraculous of the horse.

{+}{+}{+}

Present time

Chat Noir's P.O.V

   My ears perked up at the sound of approaching footsteps. I tried to get up and see who it was, yet I could only get as far as sitting up though. I turned in the direction of the sound before glaring at the figure.

   "My, you have acquired quite the beating," Gabriel commented, hands tucked behind his back. I had to stay on high alert. He was probably holding a weapon behind him.

   "How did you get out of your cell?" I growled at the man.

   "Very simple. It is a low-grade cage, after all. It takes more of a skill than magic to escape it," he answered.

   "I believe what he is trying to say is, he picked the lock," I thought, cursing under my breath. Yet, I do not understand why he is still here. Gabriel could have easily escaped during the mayhem and stolen our secrets. Unless his little pals had done the job already.

   "Why are you still here? You had a chance to escape but you are simply wandering around," I hissed.

   "If you are claiming that I or my comrades have stolen anything, your answer is no. We do not seek any of your demon craft nor do we care for it. While my friends have escaped, I stayed to at least look around for any answers to your identities," Gabriel explained, circling me like a shark would.

   "That was when I found something very interesting," he added, venom now laced in his voice. His cold gaze landed on me and I returned it with one of my own.

   He has no right to be angry at me! He is the one who murdered someone I cared for! Why has he placed his frustration on me when I clearly have done nothing to him?!

   "Where did you get this?" Gabriel questioned with a snarl. He brought out the object hidden behind his back and displayed it before me. I was surprised to see it was my baby blanket, the very one Fu had found me swaddled in.

   "What does that have to-" I thought before realization hit me, "Oh...oh..."

   That blanket...he recognized it. Of course, he knew it, considering it was his son's blanket—my blanket.

   He did not seem to connect the dots though. He did not know that it was in my room he was in. He probably thought it was Master Fu's quarters.

   "How would I know? It is a mere blanket. We have many of them," I answered, dumbly, "Out of everything here, why would you fuss over something so meaningless as a blanket?"

   A blanket that I was abandoned in. Why would Gabriel care for me after ditching me on some stranger's doorstep? After all this time, he finally comes to search for his son? I nearly scoffed at such nonsense.

"What about my mother too?" I thought, "She did not care enough to join in?"

This conversation was really getting on my nerves but I could not help feeling slightly curious about where this was going.

Apparently, Gabriel felt the same way. He did not appreciate my answer, stopping in front of me and narrowed his eyes.

"It was my son's blanket," he growled, "and I want to know what happened to him. You better have a good answer this time..."

Gabriel pulled out a Banshee gun with his other hand and aimed it right between my eyes.

"...or else you will join the same fate as your elderly friend."

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 4.1K 47
When an akumatized victim begins to attack Marinette with the supervision of Hawkmoth, Chat Noir attempts at being her protector. Due to a distracti...
233K 4.8K 33
[UNDER EDITING]Marinette and Adrien take on Hawkmoth in the final battle, overcoming challenges Ladybug never thought she'd face again... including C...
87.2K 4.1K 21
Marinette has always been invisible, which comes in handy saving the streets of Paris as Ladybug. Adrien is the opposite, always the center of attent...
5.8K 297 49
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is as we all know, the one and only Ladybug. She has an awesome partner named Chat Noir who's secret identity is none other th...