The Black Death

By dragontheofhouse

"You look just like your mother." "I guess I do carry her tenderness well." "You both have the same eyes." "W... More

Introduction: The Black Death
II: Right where I'm supposed to be
III: That's what family is for
IV: Old wives' tales
V: Unfinished business
VI: Name days and mothers
VII: Letters and fathers
VIII: Ghosts
IX: Mirrors and hair
Interlude: Princess Visenya in the eyes of the Maesters
X: Going back
XI: Tiny wars
XII: Planting seeds
XIII: The witch, the dreamer and the king.
XIV: The play begins
XV: Motivations
XVI: According to plan
XVII: Family affairs
XVIII: First touch
XIX: Wine
XX: Hungover

I: The Dragon Leaves The Nest

5.9K 180 6
By dragontheofhouse

Visenya. Rhaenyra had always liked that name. She once wished to name her sister that, but the gods never blessed her with one, besides Helaena, whose mother had another name in mind. And so, dreams stayed dreams until the birth of her daughter.

Almost 20 years ago, Daemon Targaryen had come back to visit King's Landing and left his niece with... a gift. Everyone rejoiced when not long after the prince's visit, Ser Laenor and Princess Rhaenyra welcomed their second child, a girl with silver hair just like her father and mother - Visenya. Even the rumors about her brother's parentage ceased for a time, since the girl was obviously Laenor's, even if she looked like a copy of her mother.

Visenya was a curious creature, not like her two brothers. Not like any of her living Targaryen family, really. While the rest of her growing family took up fighting, sewing, or drinking, the now 13-year-old girl became obsessed with learning about her family lineage, especially the family that lived before the Doom, and quickly realized there was more to uncover about being a Valyrian than dragon riding or ruling a kingdom. The further back her family history she went, the more her heart was captured by Valyrian magic.

Although they did not completely understand it, her parents were supportive of Visenya's endeavors. Her step-grandmother, on the other hand, was appalled. Raising her children under the guidance of the Faith of the Seven, any kind of sorcery was sinful in her eyes. But the few times she tried to discipline the young girl, she failed. The pale blue eyes looked at her without saying anything, just glaring at her as if she could burn a hole in the Queen's head. Visenya was... chilling. And Alicent would sometimes think about how the looks she shot her way reminded her of the way Daemon would look at her when he visited. Wicked. Hateful. Alarmingly calm. But at least the girl was quiet. And she got along with Helaena. And Alicent could do many things, but she could never hate the only friend her daughter seemed to have.
.
.
.

When she was 15, Visenya ran into Helaena's room giddy with excitement. "Do you have it?!" Helaena was used to the hyper nature of her niece, and not looking up from her embroidery, she signaled to the journal lying on her table, "There."

Visenya grabbed the journal and plopped next to Helaena, making her almost prick her finger with the needle. "I told you you weren't weird. That's just your idiot brother speaking. You're a dreamer, Helaena, look." Visenya carefully reached out to hand the book to her friend, whose attention was sparked by the comment. "Daenys had dreams of the Doom, Aegon dreamt of conquering the Seven Kingdoms—"

"I don't dream," Helaena cut her off, but Visenya continued, "Remember when your brother came in crying about not having a dragon, and you said he'll have one, but will have to close an eye?"

"Yes."

"Well, he did, didn't he? He claimed Vhagar, and then he lost—or as you said, 'closed'—an eye for that. You predicted it!" Helaena had put down her work and was looking over Visenya's shoulder. "You do not have to carry this burden alone, Helaena; at least write them down if you do not wish to share them." Helaena, ever so quiet, smiled. "I'd like to know more about Daenys, if you could tell me. Her dreams saved her family?" Visenya returned her smile. "They did. Maybe yours will save ours."
.
.
.
"Mother, who resides in Dragonstone at the moment," Visenya casually walked into her mother's chambers. Rhaenyra put down the letter from Laena she had been reading and smiled at her daughter, "Why do you ask?"

"Answer me, and I'll tell you," Visenya had a mischievous look in her eyes, which made her mother suspicious. "No one at the moment, my love, although as heir, I am supposed to live there until I'm crowned, I suppose." Visenya's smile grew bigger. "So... My name day is coming up..."

"I am well aware." Pause. "Where are you going with this?"

"I want to live at Dragonstone." Rhaenyra's heart skipped a beat. Her daughter often had unusual requests, and that was a thing she loved about her, but this... Rhaenyra stayed quiet for a moment.

"I don't know if your brothers would agree to such a sudden change, besides your father, I.."

"I want to go alone." Visenya got down on her knees next to her mother and placed her hands on hers. "I know, I'm only 16—"

"15," Rhaenyra corrected.

"Almost 16," Visenya playfully argued, "But I heard about the queen's plans to marry me off, and you and I both know that as long as I'm here, there's only so much we can do to outrun those plans."

Rhaenyra sighed. It was true; not so long ago Alicent started bringing up the topic of marriage.
.
.
.

"Helaena has already given birth to two babes, and Visenya is a woman grown. You were the same age when you got married, as was I."

"Visenya does not wish to marry yet. And you and I had a duty to the realm to wed; we did not have a choice. I want to give my daughter that choice."

Alicent rolled her eyes at the princess's ever-so-present lack of duty. "Each member of the royal family has a duty to the realm to be wed. That's how we built alliances and strengthen our claim. Aemond is not wed yet; mayhaps they would be a good pairing."

Rhaenyra was dumbfounded hearing those words from the woman who refused the offer to marry Jace to Helaena just a few years ago. "I shall talk to Visenya. See what she thinks."
.
.
.

"You know I'm more than capable of being on my own; besides, Dragonstone is just a flight away, anyways." Visenya pleaded. "Dragonstone is the closest I can get to our family roots; I want to be there, and maybe in a few years, you all can join me."

Rhaenyra thought about it, but deep inside knew there was no changing Visenya's mind when she set her sights on something.
"Promise to be careful, my heart."
"Always."
.
.
.

"I'm leaving."

"I know."

"Of course, you do." – Visenya and Helaena were walking in the gardens of the Red Keep.

"The dragon leaves the nest. Their wings grow, but the heart shrinks."

Visenya looked at her friend, "The heart shrinks, you say?" Helaena nodded. Visenya took a flower from the garden and placed it in Helaena's hand, "However small it may shrink, there's always a place in there for you." The Targaryen girls smiled at each other and hugged – something Helaena didn't do often, but the two girls were more like sisters than aunt and niece, and Visenya was the one who helped her to realize the gift she had, that for so long she had thought was a curse.
.
.
.

"Mother says you're leaving!" Jacearys burst into the library where his sister was reading yet another book about old Valyria.

"Why hello to you too, Jace," Visenya answered, not lifting her eyes from the book, but offering a seat next to her with her hand.

"Why on earth would you want to go to Dragonstone alone? At least let me come with. As future king—"

"As future king, you'll spend more than enough time there when Mother is queen; let me warm up the seat for you while you train here. Besides, you have to be with Mother; who else is going to keep everything in check while I'm gone?" The last sentence calmed Jacearys down a bit – his sister seldom gave him compliments, so when she did, he knew she meant it. He sat down next to her and took the book from her hand to make her look at him.

"Will you visit, at least?"

"I don't think so, but you will." Visenya smiled at her brother. "Really, you have everything you need here to pursue your interests – the best knights to teach you fighting, the best maesters to teach you histories and Valyrian... I want to get more in touch with our roots. Dragonstone is the best place for that. If I could go to Valyria, I would."

"Oh, I believe you," Jacearys teased. "Very well. But don't think you'll get rid of us that easily. We'll visit every month."

"I wouldn't dream of getting rid of you."
.
.
.

The whole court gathered to send off the young princess to Dragonstone. Young Lucerys was quietly crying, and Visenya softly caressed his cheek. "There now, little dragon, I'm only a flight away. Promise to write me when I get there?"

"I promise," the little prince replied with a runny nose.

Queen Alicent was gritting her teeth, whispering something to Ser Criston, who did not even look in the direction Visenya was standing – not that she wanted him to, after what he tried to do to her not even a year ago. Helaena had already said her goodbyes, and being around so many voices made her uncomfortable, so Visenya understood when she didn't see her between the crowd. Aegon was probably out drinking; what else would he be up to? Besides, the whole 16 years they had exchanged 5 words at best. Well, if you don't count that time he confused Visenya with Helaena and almost lost a hand for that. Good times, Visenya thought.

The only child of Alicent's that came to the gathering was standing to her right, clearly forced to come by his mother. The poor prince was still getting used to the eyepatch his mother forced him to wear – Visenya was certain she could have healed the boy's eye if Alicent had let her, but the ever so religious queen said her son had been touched by "her family" enough. Alicent always went back and forth between saying they're all family and dividing the family into two. At least she would not have to deal with that for now. She gave a simple nod to the queen and her son and went on to say goodbye to her grandsire.

"My grandchild. You're taking a piece of my heart with you, you know that?"

"You are partially to blame, grandsire. Was it not you that introduced me to the history of Valyria while showing me your models?"

Viserys chuckled. "And I do not regret doing so one bit. Your mother might be growing to be more and more like her mother, but you, my child... Are more and more like mine." Visenya hugged Viserys and placed her forehead to his.

"Take care of my mother while I'm gone."

After her last goodbyes, Visenya mounted Vermithor and flew to Dragonstone, which from now on would be her new home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 7.3K 25
𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑳𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑡𝑫𝑬𝑹 𝑰𝑡 𝑯𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝒀𝑬𝑺, π‡πŽπ”π’π„ πŽπ… 𝐓𝐇𝐄 πƒπ‘π€π†πŽπ " Wed her to me. " " What? " " When I offered up my crown, you sai...
44.7K 1.2K 27
After the death of his son, Baelon, and his wife, Queen Aemma, Viserys I Targaryen has felt lost and alone. His daughter hated him for his decision...
31K 910 31
LAENYS VELARYON, Lady of the Tides, princess of Dragonstone, youngest daughter of Corlys Velaryon-Lord of the Tides-and Rhaenys Targaryen-the Queen W...
52.2K 2.4K 12
Having claimed the wild beast Cannibal, Aerys Targaryen was more dragon than man, just like his Father, Daemon. Something his parent took pride in...