HEART FOR BRAINS • the walkin...

Autorstwa mockingja3

The one where Daryl finds a kid who is, most definitely, not Sophia. "You shouldn't get attached to him, you... Więcej

intro
SEASON TWO
001: lost and found
002: half less than the rest
003: brother
004: ripped stitches
005: but im not dead
006: the barn
007: special kid
008: baby
009: from the sidelines
011: let the truth come out
012: spread like wildfire
my brothers are my best friends
SEASON THREE
013: hit the jackpot
014: super badass
015: everythings out of order
016: three down
017: not her
018: left behind
019: blood and guts
020: judith
021: get out
022: I'll go wherever you go
023: come back home
024: forgive and forget
025: war at the doorstep
026: god might not get it but i do
027: finish it
028: not-so surprise
trying not to forget
SEASON FOUR
029: catch of the month
030: ups and downs of storytime
031: outbreak
032: isolation
033: colour of blood//love
034: all things come to an end
035: how safe is safe?
036: all in knots
037: close call
038: claimed: part one
039: claimed: part two
040: road to terminus // A
SEASON FIVE
041: the wrong people
042: escape
043: church in the wild
044: four walls and a roof
045: flipped
046: liar
047: not not funny
048: apologies

010: a follower

1.7K 62 29
Autorstwa mockingja3

"So what you gonna do?" Lori asked the next morning, as she boiled the kettle. Rio walked over rubbing his eyes. She looked up to Rick and Shane, "We'd all feel better if we knew the plan."

"Is there a plan?" Andrea questioned.

"Are we gonna keep him here?" Glenn asked.

Shane and Rick wouldn't look at each other, not even when they were being asked questions. They kept avoiding each others gazes.

"We'll know soon enough." Rick answered, right as Daryl approached. His crossbow was slung over his shoulder and his knuckles were red with fresh blood again. He walked over confidently.

"Boy there's got a gang, 30 men." He announced, "They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead."

He stopped, puffing out his cheeks before sighing. "And the women, they're gonna... they're gonna wish they were."

"What did you do?" Carol asked him. Daryl looked down at his hands before replying.

"We had a little chat."

"No one goes near this new guy." Rick ordered.

"Rick, what are you gonna do?"

"We have no choice. He's a threat. We have to eliminate the threat."

"Your just gonna kill him?" Dale asked.

"It's settled. I'll do it today." Rick announced, ignoring the older man's protests. Dale followed after him eagerly.

"Aren't you curious?" Carl asked, as they walked.

"About the man?"

"Yeah."

"I guess." Rio admitted, but then he shrugged.

Shane walked in the direction of the barn and Carl joined him. Rio joined Carl even though he didn't want to. He tried to ignore where they were headed. He kept his head down as they reached the front.

Shane and Carl talked about the man chained up inside, who Rio now realised wasn't actually a man.

"So he's a kid?" Carl asked "How old is he?"

"He ain't a kid. Just... that's a figure of speech."

"Can I see him?"

"No." Shane was stern, he stopped walking to make sure the boy understood what he was saying clearly. "Look, man, this is... this is grown-up stuff, all right?

Carl sighed as he continued. "You just... you just let us handle this." Shane walked off, not giving them a second look.

He let out a hm of annoyance before walking the other way. The boy made sure Shane was out of sight before he grabbed Rio's arm, pulling him by the elbow towards the back of the barn.

Rio watched the front of it as they walked away, trying to forget the bodies that had been there days before. Rio swore he could still see blood stains on the ground.

"I'm going up. Are you coming." Carl whispered, too quietly. Rio pointed to his ear, a small sign that showed Carl he didn't hear a word he just said.

"I'm going in." He repeated, loud enough this time. "Are you coming?"

"I... I don't know."

"If you don't want to just don't tell anyone."

Rio thought for a moment, although his mind was already made up. He shook his head at Carl. "I won't tell. Let's go."

Carls frown tipped into a smile as he and Rio climbed to the top of the barn. He pressed a finger to Rio's lips and whispered "Shhh." He was the one making most noise, Rio thought to himself.

On one hand, Rio decided that being in the inside of the barn was better. He hadn't seen it before and his brother technically died outside. Perfectly fine. He wasn't scared. He wasn't even phased.

On the other hand it felt suffocating. All those corpses had been im here, limping around aimlessly for days. Now there was a bloodied boy, tied to a wooden post, blindfold fallen down around his neck.

They looked at the boy from over the ledge. He had bloody wounds across his face and a split lip, his teeth were crooked and his hair stuck to his head. He turned around as they sat down upon the bench. It had let out a creak.

"Hey." He whispered, eyes widening. Both boys stayed silent. He then smiled "That's a sweet hat!"

"I'm Randall. What's your names?" He asked, looking between each boy, hoping one of them would give him some help. Instead they both sat there silently, just watching him blankly.

"The sheriff guy..." He turned to Carl, "That your dad?" He asked, breaking into a creepy smile. "I like him. Yeah, he's a good guy. I can tell."

When Carl had nothing to say, yet again, he turned to Rio. "Well he ain't your dad, that's for sure." He said with a chuckle.

Rio narrowed his eyes at him. "Unless.. your adopted... maybe." He sounded desperate not to upset either of them. He was trying so hard not to get himself killed.

Randall continued, "Your mom's out here too?"

Carl tilted his head at the man, pretending to examine his every word.

"You're... you're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine." He pulled in his chains as he tried to move forward. "Hey, I... I don't know what people been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear."

Carl got up to leave.

"Your dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fight with him!" Randall called up. Carl still didn't listen. Rio stopped when Carl began to climb down the ladder, that wasn't what he'd expected the boy to do. He followed anyway.

"It got pretty bad. I... I was kinda worried." The man swallowed. "My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you two and your folks back to my people. We'll take good care of you. Keep you safe. Just gotta... just gotta help me get out of here, okay? Just pick these locks and find the key, okay? Come on, please? Please!"

He jumped forwards, chains rattling, then the shed door swung open and both boys froze.

They were screwed.

"What the hell are you doing in here?" Shane barged in, shouting at them. "What did you say to him?" He charged at Randall.

"What did you say to them, huh?" Shane grabbed him by the neck and pushed him against the wall, he pulled his gun from his holster and pointed it to his mouth.

"I didn't say nothing." He mumbled against it.

"Hey, hey!" Andrea protested.

"Let me tell you something, I will shoot you where you sit."

"Okay, Shane, not now."

"Open your mouth! Open your mouth!" He pushed the gun further into the boys mouth, trying to pry his lips open.

"Shane!" Andrea shouted. Her shouts weren't doing much as Shane continued.

"You like talking, man?" He yelled, "You like talking?"

"Back off!" Andrea shouted on final time. And he did. Shane backed off, dropping his gun as he stepped back. Randall let out a long breath.

Shane turned to the boys. He grabbed Carl by the arm pulling him away. "Get your ass out this door. Let's go."

He left Rio standing in the barn. He kicked at the hay before turning to Andrea.

"Go." She ordered.

"He don't care." Rio whined.

"I do, so go." She responded with. Rio let out a scoff before jumping off the barn steps and walking behind them all.

"What the hell we're you doing?" Shane asked, his grip on Carl still firm. "Who's idea was this?" Only then he turned to Rio. He just shook his head.

"Please don't tell my parents." Carl pleaded as Shane pushed him away.

"Carl, that ain't cool man. You could've gotten hurt in there."

"I can handle myself."

"Let me tell you something." He grabbed the scruff of Carl's jumper. "You do not go near him again. Do you hear me?"

He let go, pushing the boy back a bit. "Damn it," Shane muttered.

"You won't tell my parents, will you?" Carl pleased as Shane paced around the area.

"Carl, man..." he whispered to the boy, "this isn't about getting in trouble, okay? A guy like that, he will say anything to you. He'll try to make you feel sorry for him. He'll try to make you let your guard down. You let your guard down out here, people die."

"We weren't going to help him." Rio said quietly. Shane looked at him angrily, maybe he was angry he'd interrupted his speech. He knew Shane didn't really care for him.

"Do me a favour, go find your ma. Go on." He turned back to Rio, giving him a not so encouraging slap on the back. "You go with him, find someone who wants to look after you."

"Quit trying to get yourself killed." Shane called out after them. It didn't take a genius to work out who he was talking to.

"He's obsessed with you." Rio grumbled to Carl.

"He's so overprotective." Carl huffed. "He's basically like my uncle. He's been friends with my dad since they were kids. It's so annoying, they don't let me do anything. I'm not stupid. Why can't they see I'm not stupid?"

"He hates me." Rio laughed. He wasn't sure why but their whole relationship made him laugh. It made him laugh to think that a man like Shane had some built up anger for a kid like Rio. Maybe he just hated everyone, that would make more sense.

"He doesn't hate you." Carl replied, mouth open in shock.

"Sure." Rio rolled his eyes.

"Well, what did you do then?" The other boy asked.

"What?"

"To get him to hate you."

"Nothing!" Rio exclaimed and Carl laughed.

"He can't hate you without a reason."

"He can."

Lori found them later, kicking an old bullet shell around in the dirt. "Baby, where's your daddy?"

Carl pointed over Rio's shoulder, towards the barn. "He's up there."

"All right."

She headed over and Carl walked towards the graves a few feet away. He knelt down.

"I'm gonna go." Rio said, not keen on intruding on his praying, or whatever he was about to do. Carol flashed him a smile as she walked over to the other boy.

Rio headed up to where Daryl was staying. He'd hardly seen the man in three days. He was starting to realise Daryl didn't mean a lot of the things he said. He was a special kid? Didn't act like it. He wanted him to stay? Didn't act like it. He'd ditched him at every chance since. He couldn't even hate the man for it because when he did spend time with him he completely forgot. Rio knew it was irrational. He was busy, that's all. Lots had happened.

"Hello?" He called out, no one answered. Rio walked around for a bit, waiting to see if Daryl showed but he didn't. Carl did though. Rio snuck up on him as he looked at Daryl bike.

"Why are you following me?"

"Got in trouble again." Carl grumbled.

"Why?"

"I said something to Carol."

"Oh."

"I'm gonna have to apologise soon." He said, then he let go of the bike handle, turning to Rio. "Want to do something whilst I think of what to say?"

"Do you ever think that when your in trouble you should maybe not get in more trouble?"

Carl laughed to himself, but it soon died out when Rio didn't laugh back. He followed the boy into the woods regardless, he wasn't going to leave him alone.

"What's in your pants?" Rio asked. "I saw you slip something under your waistband."

Carl lifted his t-shirt, revealing one of Daryl's guns. "Just in case." He murmured. "It's just in case."

"Where are we going?" Rio asked.

"I'm not sure."

They walked through the woods together as Carl led the way. He walked with so much confidence that if Rio didn't know that Carl had no clue where they were, he wouldn't be been able to tell.

"I think the diary is making you feel worse" Carl said suddenly, stopping as he snapped a dead branch off of a tree. "You've barely spoke to anyone since you read it."

"I have." Rio defended.

"No, most of the time I talk and you listen." He explained. "That's what's been happening. You only talk to me if I speak first."

"Sorry." Rio answered. His voice was filled with uncertainty, he hadn't meant to not speak to Carl, should he have to apologise for that?

"I get..." Carl hesitated, his voice wobbled and he sounded unsure of himself, as if he didn't know wether to continue. "I get that your brother died but I don't know why you won't talk to me." He continued, Rio's mouth hung open as Carl spoke.

"What is wrong with you?" Rio spat. Who was he, to bring up his brother? To ask about why it made him feel like he didn't wanted to speak?

"That's not what I meant! Talking can help!" The other boy replied, throwing his arms out in protest. "That's... that's all. That's what I meant."

"Is that why you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Talk so freaking much."

"Oh, shut up."

"You were just complaining that I did that too much." Rio replied, scoffing at the other boy.

"You're so annoying." Carl stormed forward, headed towards a river.

Rio let out a sigh as Carl got closer to the edge and started to follow him again. "Hey Carl." He called

The other boy threw his hand out and hissed at him. "Shut up."

"What the hell?" Rio argued.

"No!" Carl replied, he pointed his hand to across the river. "Shut up."

There was a Walker. It turned to them, lifting its head and grating its teeth together. It leant forward, arms reaching for them. Both boys jumped backwards and stumbled up the banking of the river. Carl clung onto Rio's shirt and Rio clung to Carl's arm.

The Walker leant forward again, snapping its jaw and flailing its arms, but it wasn't moving. Every time the creature jerked forward it didn't move, it didn't make its way any closer to them.

Carl began to walk forward again but Rio pulled on his arm.

"Look at his feet." Carl replied, smile creeping onto his face. "It's stuck."

He walked over to a fallen tree trunk that stretched across the river. It was hardly a river, it'd been mostly dried out and more so resembled a stream. Carl sat on the trunk and leant down into the water, picking up a stone. He tossed it in the palm of his hand a few times before launching it at the Walker.

It hit the creature in the chest and it let out a mangled hiss. It reached out for Carl again and waved its arms even wilder than he had before. Carl fumbled around in the water again, picking up another stone.

This time it hit the walkers leg.

"What is wrong with you?" Rio asked from the banking. He didn't want to go down. He didn't really like bankings anymore.

"It's not gonna hurt me, see, he's stuck."

"I know that but what if he becomes..." Rio trailed off, he made gestures with his hands, "unstuck. What is he becomes unstuck?"

"He won't." Carl whined, he walked across the tree trunk, balancing as he reached Rio. "Come down a bit."

Rio jumped down, he wobbled as he landed on an uneven knob on the bark. Carl reached backwards, grabbing the other boys forearm and pulling him along. They jumped off the log and ran over to the mud on the other side of the Walker. He was still growling and snarling and reaching his hands out towards the pair.

Now that Rio could see him closer he noticed all the cuts and scars across his torso and how the lower part of his face seemed to have the greying skin clawed off of it. His eyes were deeply sunken into his face and were a pale white colour. His hair was thin yet matted and overall Rio found him really gross to look at.

Carl inched forward, teasing the monster by staying just out of reach. He pulled Daryl's gun from his jeans and held it out towards the Walker. Rio felt the need to grab his gun out of his bag too but when he reached for it, it wasn't there. He must've left it at Daryl's tent.

The Walker turned around, trying to reach for Carl from a different angle. It's legs wobbled and the boy tried to hold his gun steady.

"What are you doing?" Rio asked, watching as Carl inched forward again. He grabbed for the other boys shirt but Carl just brushed him off, hand returning straight to his stolen gun.

The Walker reached out a final time and his leg became unstuck. Carl let out a yell as he fell, the Walker holding him tightly by the foot. They both crashed to the floor and Carl kicked and wiggled to get the creature off of him. Rio grabbed his arms, trying to pull him away as he shouted for help.

Rio reached down and tried pulling Carls leg back whilst still trying to avoid the Walker. It didn't work, it wouldn't let go. He stepped forward as quick as he could and stamped on the walkers arm. He did it twice before flinching back as the Walker reached for him. He let out a small yell. It was just enough for Carl to escape. He grabbed Rios arm and pulled him away as fast as he could.

They both ran up the hill, coming out on the other side of the river, leaving the Walker squirming in the mud.

They got back soon enough, coved in dirt stains. Rios shoe was newly bloody but he dragged his foot in the grass, hoping no one would notice. Carl was far dirtier than Rio, mud had trailed down his back from the fall and dirty handprints lay around his ankles. They were all layers atop each other which made what they were less obvious.

Lori hesitated to wrap her arms around them as they approached the farm house, giving them both a look up and down. She opened her mouth before closing it again, deciding she wasn't even going to ask.

"Come on, I want you two to stay with Jimmy."

"But I wanna listen." Carl complained.

"Hm-mmm, not this time. Come on."

Lori headed into the room and Carl took the other way. Rio shot a look at him, they hadn't spoken since the incident. Rio had stormed ahead, if anyone found out they were gonna be in so much trouble.

As they walked inside the boys found everyone gathered in the living room. No one was speaking, meeting seemed to be going just great, he thought. Rick and Daryl turned to them, before Lori noticed they'd snuck in, she shot them a look which caused Carl to sigh and walk out.

"Go." Daryl mouthed, raising his eyebrow at him.

Rio left without another word.

***

Rio went to grab his stuff from Daryl's tent later that night. He was sat next to his fire, Rio's bag beside him.

"This yours?" Dark asked, handing it over.

"Yeah." Rio replied, he sat opposite him. "I was looking for you earlier."

"Well, here you go." Daryl replied. Rio looked through it to see what he still had before talking again.

"What was that meeting about? Was it about the guy in the barn?" He knew it was about the guy in the barn. Randall. What else could it be about?

"Yeah."

"What about him?" Rio pried.

"It don't matter." Daryl replied. He retired his boots before shrugging on his jacket back on and getting up.

"Where are you going?"

"Got stuff to do." He walked over to his crossbow, picking it up for a second before casting it on the floor. "Are you staying or going?"

"I don't know, I don't actually have a place to sleep." Rio pulled out an apple Maggie had given him earlier.

"Where've you been staying? Aside from that one day here."

"Wherever I can really." He shrugged, taking a bite as he spoke. "Kitchen counter, kitchen floor, the couch, the camper, Glenn's tent—."

"Alright I get your point. You can stay but don't expect me to cuddle you or whatever."

"Really? Not even a lullaby?"

"You're pushing your luck. You want to sleep outside?"

"Not really." He got up and walked over towards the tent. He kicked his shoes off before shouting a thanks at Daryl. He grumbled in return.

Rio couldn't sleep, after about half an hour he got out of the tent, sitting at the slowly dying fire. It still warmed him which he was thankful for, the November air wasn't the nicest.

A deep scream cut through the silence, jolting Rio out of any sleep he thought he was about to get. He ran over to his bag, loading up his gun. He waited to see if the screams continued, they did. Rio threw on his coat and filled a pocket with bullets, he didn't even bother to put his shoes on before he ran.

Rio reached the scene first. Dale was in the feild, fighting off a Walker. He recognised it instantly. He didn't have time to dwell on this before he drew his gun. Rio's hands were shaking as Dale let out pleading yells. He couldn't steady himself enough to take the shot so he just screamed for help.

"Daryl! Daryl help." He called out, he figured he wouldn't be too far away. He hasn't left that long ago, he could be closest.

The Walker turned its attention to Rio as he dug his hands into Dale's stomach, it's fingers piercing the man's skin. The boy stumbled backwards, watching as blood soaked his white shirt. The Walker advanced on Rio and he held out his gun, about to shoot when Daryl came from behind.

He stabbed his knife into the walker's head and kicked it to the floor.

Daryl turned to Rio hesitantly but the boy couldn't draw his eyes away from Dale. Rio heard Daryl talking but he couldn't make out what he was saying. He was shaking, with cold and fear and just raised a hand towards Dale who was lying in the grass.

Daryl dropped to his side, yelling at the group as they ran over. Rio hadn't seen them until now, he saw about five flash lights making their way towards him.

"You," Daryl turned to him, placing both hands upon his shoulder, "Get back to the farmhouse."

Rio shook his head and just clung to Daryl. He hugged him tight and the other man didn't try to send him away again.

The group approached but Rio couldn't even open his mouth to speak, he barely lifted his head from under Daryl's arm. Rick was asking him thousands of questions, and he just looked at him with tears in his eyes. Rick let it go. All the adults started talking about Dale, how to help him, if they could help him. Rio felt sick. Daryl coaxed him off, but he stayed next to him, holding his sleeve.

Carl snuck up behind him. "What happened?" He asked, "What's going on?"

Rio opened his mouth but quickly turned his back towards everyone before hurrying forward and throwing up. His body shook and he just sobbed. This was all their fault. Carl stepped backwards, giving him some space. Rio wiped his mouth with his sleeve. He didn't want to be here, he didn't want to be here, he didn't want to be here.

"Are you okay?" Someone asked him at the same time Lori scolded Carl for not listening to her again.

He just let out another sob. Rio pointed at the scene and Carl stepped forward, he pushed his way to the front of the group to see the dead Walker. The one from earlier, the one he couldn't kill. He looked back at Rio and his face dropped, he held back tears but not for long. He burst out crying and ran into Lori's arms.

The rest of the adults crowded around Dale as he lay on the floor. Rio couldn't stand to see him in that state, not whilst knowing he'd caused it. This was all his fault.

Rio watched as Rick held his gun above Dale's head. The man didn't pull the trigger, he couldn't. Daryl stepped in, pushing his hand aside before kneeling next to Dale, placing the barrel of the gun against his forehead. He cocked the gun and Rio had to turn around as he pulled the trigger

"Sorry, brother." Was what he heard before the ring of a gunshot flooded his senses.

***
double update bc the last one is kinda short

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

791K 34.3K 108
While looking for Sophia, Daryl comes across a boy in the trees. He doesn't speak, doesn't communicate in any way and flaps his hands when he's happy...
5.7K 276 13
𝗦𝗨𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗩𝗔𝗟 𝗜𝗡𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗧𝗦 。゚・ 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗂𝗇𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗇𝖼𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗌𝗎𝗋𝗏𝗂𝗏𝖾 𝖺𝗀𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌𝗍 𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝗈𝖽𝖽𝗌, 𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇 𝗂𝖿 𝗒𝗈𝗎'𝗋𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖺...
27.4K 1.3K 40
𝐒𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐋𝐘 - 𝙖 𝙬𝙖𝙡𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙛𝙖𝙣𝙛𝙞𝙘 ❛ she smiles like a child with flowers in her ha...
16.8K 295 31
𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘋𝘪𝘹𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨. 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍 n...