Floating ||Edmund Pevensie Fa...

By DisneyxLovey

"How do you keep floating when you feel like sinking?" "If your heart feels heavy, you'd sink. Otherwise, you... More

||Cast||
||Playlist||
||Prologue||
||1||
||2||
||3||
||4||
||5||
||6||
||7||
||8||
||9||
||10||
||11||
||12||
||13||
||14||
||15||
||16||
||17||
||18||
||19||
||20||
||21||
||22||
||23||
||25||
||26||
||27||
||28||
||29||
||30||
||Epilogue||
||Acknowledgments||
||Deleted Scenes||
||Book Trivia||
||Upcoming Book Releases||

||24||

139 14 39
By DisneyxLovey

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
⛰️Dark Island⛰️
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

As Eustace manoeuvred through the diaphanous clouds, his chest heaved heavily. He sliced the mists obstructing his vision, having gained confidence in his flight navigation abilities. Eventually, the mists cleared with the use of his flapping wings, completing his view of the island.

"There it is, my friend," Reepicheep patted him, "our battle awaits..."

Eustace's eyes widened at the island ahead. The longer he glanced at the mouth of the cave that grinned back at him sinisterly, the greater his urge to retreat grew. It was wide and swarmed with green mists, ready to devour him. Finally, he could not stand it, and made a swift turnaround.

"Ah! Eustace, no! Halt!" Reepicheep clung onto him, tugging at his skin desperately for his attention. "Eustace, stop! Stop!"

At his final command, Eustace immediately halted, flapping his wings mid-air. Reepicheep tumbled onto the dragon's nose, grasping at his nostrils.

"I will not accept surrender!" The mouse berated as he climbed onto the dragon's snout. "A noble warrior does not run from fear. Look at me, look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Eustace's eyes raised begrudgingly.

"I am a mouse," Reepicheep gestured between them, emphasising the juxtaposition in size, "you, you're a dragon! You've got skin like chain mail, you breathe fire! Why do you think Charlotte and Edmund requested your help at all?"

Eustace was still uncertain, grumbling in response.

"They see greatness in you, Eustace! Don't you see? They all have faith in you, I have faith in you," Reepicheep climbed onto his head, "so don't you dare let us down, my boy!"

He patted Eustace's head and fished out his sword. "Come on! Let's meet our destiny!"

Eustace headed on straight towards the island, with a steady flight path full of determination.

Once the four royals met with the crew, silence seeped into the atmosphere and all eyes were fixated on their King. Caspian met Edmund's eyes, silently pleading for help. Edmund gestured with his head, cuing Caspian to calm their nerves. Caspian trudged to the front of the crew, inhaling and exhaling deeply before he spoke.

"No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader." Caspian assured his crew, his eyes scanning the crowd before him. "Together, we have travelled far... Together, we have faced adversity... Together, we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations... Be strong! Never give in."

Caspian met eyes with Edmund, who nodded approvingly. Tranquility traveled through Caspian's soul in gratitude of him. Without a father figure to support his leadership, Edmund certainly fulfilled that role as a brotherly figure.

"Our world, our Narnian lives depend on it," he resumed his speech. "Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan, think of Narnia."

"For Narnia!" The crew erupted with cheers in high spirits.

Lucy joined in the cheers, influencing Gael to follow suit. Caspian met Edmund's proud gaze, recalling his affirmations on his leadership. Caspian returned his smile, giving an appreciative nod to his support.

"Thank you, High King Edmund," Drinian stood by the Just King with his hands behind his back.

Edmund did a dubious double take at the man beside him. His eyes darted sideways with a single raised eyebrow, appalled at the captain's sudden expression of gratitude, and usage of his new title. Of all times, entering a cave filled with a sinister darkness was a moment that Edmund least expected to receive a verbal token of appreciation, especially from an extremely misinformed individual that had been vilifying his legacy.

"What for?"

"King Caspian often struggles to guide the crew through the darkest times, but he draws his confidence from you." Drinian elaborated, his features fraught with gratitude, "He keeps looking at you for guidance. You're truly a leader in your own way, your Majesty."

Edmund observed the King before him and his newfound confidence. This truly was what Edmund lived for, guiding his fellow King and being recognised for his efforts. He was reminded of his reign with Peter, and the times when he would guide Peter towards keeping Narnians in high spirits. Though his contributions were silent, they were visible and appreciated.

"I appreciate that, Captain."

As the ship proceeded into the open mouth of the cave, the whole crew stood still silently, scanning the darkness around them. Whispers and echoes fluttered around their ears, taunting their deepest, darkest fears. No one dared to move, intimidated by the eeriness accompanying the dark. Mists surrounded them, obstructing their path ahead.

"Be on guard," Caspian advised everyone with a strict stance.

In the mist, Charlotte noticed some of the crewman in a daze, enthralled by the mists surrounding them. She tilted her head quizzically, with a confused frown sitting on her eyebrows. Then, a soft voice flowed through her ear.

"Charlotte..."

She whipped her head, finding herself staring straight into the eyes of Aunt Jill — or rather, Queen Jillian — among the green mists. She jolted, shocked by her predecessor's sudden appearance at a close proximity.

"I don't care if you spend an eternity here, you could never rid yourself of the memories," the mirage of Queen Jillian shook her head with disapproval, "it will never get better, wherever you escape to..."

"It's not real," Charlotte whispered softly, backing away from the entity. "You're an illusion... You're fake."

But the mists' voice only approached closer with each step, somehow revolving around her. "Am I? Or do I only speak the truth that you deny within..."

"No, no.."

All that she mentioned ran through Charlotte's mind like a tape recording, constantly attacking her darkest vulnerabilities.

"My sister is gone..." The mists whispered in anguish from behind her ear. "And this guilt will always haunt you for an eternity."

"Stop it!"

Charlotte buried her face in her hands, an influx of tears surging through her eyes. The guilt of a survivor had always followed her, and Narnia had always seemed the perfect place to escape to and rid herself of the scarring memories. Unfortunately, her guilt was bound to her like a shadow.

"Char," a soft voice flowed, and she felt a pair of hands gently grasping and tugging her arms downwards.

She met Edmund's soft gaze. She exhaled deeply, relaxing her tensed features. It came to her attention that the mirage had already seemingly dissolved into thin air. After a few deep breaths, she nodded to let Edmund know that she was at ease.

Edmund gently let go of her, only to hear whispers approaching from behind him.

"Edmund, come with me!"

His head whipped towards the direction of the familiar voice, and his eyes froze. In that moment, everyone's presence on the ship drowned out by the ghost of her face.

"Be my king," the devilish entity beckoned towards him, "I'll let you rule..."

"Go away," he forced out, trembling from head to toe as she approached him, "you're dead."

However, his mind failed to concur with his words. Truthfully, he was transported into his younger self, trembling in fear of the entity before him. He was the White Witch's little puppet again, susceptible to her manipulation.

"You can never kill me," she smiled, floating around him, "I'll always be alive in your mind, silly boy."

Her reminder alone sufficed in breaking his spirit.

"No!"

"Edmund..." He immediately spun around, noticing that Lucy and Charlotte sent concerned glances his way. "Are you alright?"

Edmund was brought back to the present, in his mature self who had grown. The White Witch had vanished from his sight. His chest rose and fell deeply, as he maintained equanimity. He reminded himself that he was with his family, his closest companions, and with Aslan, instead of that witch. With that repeating mantra, his troubled eyes sought solace in his dear sister's gaze.

"Yeah..."

Eerie echoes travelled towards the ship from an unidentified source. It was not those of the green mists, but of a real person, as everyone glanced around simultaneously in search of its voice. The voice grew louder as the ship sailed on, their words morphing into a comprehensive repeated phrase.

"Keep away! Keep away!"

"Who's there?" Edmund interrogated the voice.

"We do not fear you!" Caspian added with a stern warning.

"Nor I you!" The voice responded, leaving then flummoxed.

Edmund swiftly grabbed his torch and flicked its light on. After navigating around the rocks that poked through the water surface, its light landed on an emaciated figure staring at them. Their limbs were stretched out in defence, and their wet thin hair fell over their shoulders, barely shielding their face. It was a face of a man, who continuously yelled at the crew to keep their distance.

"Keep away!"

"We will not leave!" Caspian refuted firmly.

"You will not defeat me!" He warily held a sword in defence.

Edmund examined with squinted eyes, noticing his sophisticated sword. "Caspian, Caspian, his sword!"

"Lord Rhoop!"

"You do not own me!" The man yelled out in alarm, scrambling around the rock.

"Stand down! Let's get him on board, quickly!"

On cue, Eustace's claws grabbed the old man and flew him onto the ship. The man shrieked in horror under Eustace's grasp. Eustace set him down gently on the Dawn Treader, but the man immediately drew his sword on high alert around the crew.

"Be calm, my Lord!" Caspian tried to deescalate his panic.

"Off me, demon!"

"No, my Lord, we are not here to hurt you," Caspian gently assured him, "I am your king, Caspian."

"Caspian..." The man murmured, digging through his memories for recollection.

He let out a gasp as he turned towards Caspian. "My Lord! You should not have come! There's no way out of here!"

Everyone exchanged horrified glances at his warning. He glanced at the rest in a hysterical state. "Quickly, turn this ship about before it's too late!"

"We have the sword, let's go!" Edmund urged.

"Let's turn her about, Drinian!" Caspian ordered hastily.

"Aye, aye, your Majesty."

"Do not think!" Lord Rhoop warned, causing everyone to fall silent. "Beware the mist! Do not let it know your fears, or it will become them."

At that moment, Edmund shut his eyes, hoping to shield the dangers ahead from earning a glimpse of his imagination. Unfortunately, his mind was left exposed, and it verbalised two simple words. The single thought sufficed in letting his imagination loose, rendering his fears visible to the unknown forces.

"Oh, no..."

Everyone's heads whipped towards the Just King, staring at him with pusillanimously wide eyes, horrified as to why he would utter such words. Silence diffused amongst them who were frozen in fear of the reasons behind his grave expression.

"Edmund," Lucy attempted to maintain her composure, but panic surged in her voice, "what did you just think of?!"

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Edmund wailed, immediately marching towards the side of the ship.

Bafflement consumed the crew as they watched him inspect the sea. Charlotte accompanied his side, poorly shielding her anxiety behind a tremulous voice. "Edmund? H—How bad is it?"

"I'm not even certain if we'd survive this..." His eyes wandered around the water.

Then, he stiffened. His face went pale, as his eyes were locked on a particular rock in the sea. Charlotte followed his gaze, and did a double take when she captured a glimpse of movement on the rock.

The rock slid into the water smoothly, almost akin to a snake's slithering movement. The rock behind it followed suit, morphing into a scaly log.

"What in the—" Charlotte frowned, shortly interrupted by an explosive crash into the ship. The crowd was knocked off their balances, tumbling and rolling on the floors as the ship swayed from side to side.

"Look!" Caspian gestured towards the water, spotting movement of some sort of sea creature. "What is that?"

"It's too late, it's too late!" Lord Rhoop announced hysterically. "He's dug us into our graves!"

Everyone leant forward, in search of the creature. Whispers spread through the crowd as they investigated the source of the crash. They were certain at that moment that it had to have been some sort of sea reptile ambushing them from underwater.

"It's gone under the boat!"

Lucy turned around, and her soul left her body.

"Gael!"

Everyone whipped their heads at Lucy's scream. Gael immediately crouched down in response, oblivious to the dangers behind her. Splashes of water poured onto the Dawn Treader, with a glimpse of a scaly tail sending the crew into a frenzy.

A pair of inauspicious eyes emitted a glow in the dark, before a huge, elongated body covered in scales emerged from the mists. The nearer it approached the vessel, locking its gaze on the crew, the more perspicuous their visions became at the monstrous sight. A cacophony of deafening screeches trilled through its ferocious fangs, taunting everyone onboard.

Everyone stood rooted to the ground, as their confidence for survival vaporised at the sight of a sea serpent.

*****
A/N: Omg we're at the mouth of the climax, it's all about to go down!!!
Appreciate your votes, comments, and overall support if you're still with me up to this point! 🥹🩵

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 405 20
{prince caspian ff} Thorndash has many questions but when her paths cross with a runaway Prince she gets left with more questions rather than answers...
78.2K 1.7K 13
ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴋʏᴀ'ꜱ ᴄᴏᴜꜱɪɴꜱ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴛᴀʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴇʀ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ, ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇꜱ. ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── 𝗞𝘆𝗮 𝗦𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗯𝗯'𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲...
120K 3.6K 8
When two of the Pevensie children came to stay at their cousins' house, nobody would have guessed that the visit would have them sailing the seas of...
3.1K 82 30
Shifting, who hasn't tried it? Lilith felt an empty feeling roaming her body. A feeling of isolation, being unwanted. Her family was the source of th...