𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧, the folk of...

By michaelises

"𝒮𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝒸𝒶𝓂𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓂𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓉𝓇𝑜𝓎 𝒽𝑒𝓇." (cardan... More

𝖒𝖆𝖉𝖜𝖔𝖒𝖆𝖓 🥀
𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘𝓘𝓘
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘𝓘𝓘𝓘
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓘
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓘𝓘
𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓘𝓘𝓘

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘𝓘

315 21 17
By michaelises

(CHAPTER TWO)

"BRITHA BRITHA!!" SEVEN YEAR OLD ALLORA LONGDALE CHEERS EXCITEDLY AS SHE wakes up her older sister by jumping on her bed. To say Britha was unsuspecting of the seven year olds entrance was an understatement. She slowly opens her eyes and meets eyes not with Allora herself, but Alloras little pet squirrel, Blossom that she owned chirped happily at her. It was then Britha realized Blossom was on her forehead, upside down.

Brithas own pet, Cattertail was watching from her dresser, a displeased expression is all over his face. A magical feline born from the Longdales birth home. When Brithas family moved to Elfhame they owned a large amount of them until they died one by one, Cattertail was the last of them, Britha decided to take him as a pet out of kindness.

Cattertail was a plump and hairy black creature. He had medium sized arms but tiny legs which he most of the time kept them loafed beneath his body. His tail was quite long and could almost reach the end of Brithas dresser. He was not too small but wasn't big enough to pick up either. And always had an expression of grumpiness he rarely showed a lot of emotion or reaction. He simply observed. In all short he was much like his owner.

With his hair it was much easier to hide in the dark and make his presence unknown. And had the talent of disappearing and appearing out of thin air. This frustrated Nyathera greatly she want to put some sort of magical charm bracelet that would prevent him from disappearing all the time but Britha went against the idea.

Cattertail was not stupid. She trusted his loyalty to her. She hated the idea of him being chained, bound to something he could not control himself, it was all too familiar to her. Magic was good but not all magic was good. That was her verdict.

Shes shaken once more from her thoughts when Blossom affectionally rubs their cheeks in greeting. Britha couldn't resist but give the small squirell a belly rub. She was quite cute. Allora smiles briefly at the sight. Facing her sister she speaks so fast Britha almost didn't hear the first time.

"I have something to show you before you head off to school this morning!" Britha looks at her sister curiously.

"A new magic trick?" Allora nods happily. She moves closer and gets comfortable on Brithas bed.

"I spent ALL night working on it. Didn't get a wink of slee- oops." She closes her eyes realizing the mistake of revealing her not going to bed. She then opens one and winks at her older sister. "Please don't tell?" Britha still too tired to care simply crosses her two fingers in promise. The younger girl smiles brightly and gives her a quick hug.

"Yay! When you are all dressed and ready meet me in the study room!" She and Blossom leave the room. Britha yawns. Allora enters the room again, the eldest Longdale doesn't know what else she could possibly say.

"Also don't tell Jaser because we are currently in a fight!" Not giving Britha time to ask why, she swiftly leaves the room again. Britha sighs once again as she dreads waking up. About to flop back down to rest some more. Cattertail leaves from his position from the dresser on to her bed and shifts his tail to lightly hit her face, as if to wake her up. Britha groans and glares at her pet.

"Whats with you this morning?" Cattertail lets out a grumpy grunt before going back to his position on the dresser. Britha then realized he hit the place Blossom was resting on her forehead. It was as if he was cleansing the trace of the squirrel.

"What a jealous creature." She said in amusement. Cattertail had his back towards her this time.

BRITHA YAWNED TO HERSELF AS SHE LISTENED TO THE LESSON BEFORE HER, it was no interest of her. The lesson was about how Queen Orlagh the mother of the wicked blue haired beauty sitting two rows in front her had negotated some form of peace between the undersea and the various faerie kings and queens of the lands. Nicasia ever the narcissist and quite obviously proud of her heritage gloats throughout the lesson. It made Britha want to gouge her own eyes out.

Yawning again the young witch set her head back down on her desk, in hopes of at least getting a good rest before the lesson was over. Unfortunately it seemed the fox like fae had noticed her movement from the corner of his eye. He was seated one row from hers and one row above the prince's.

"A long night perhaps?" He asks with interest.

"Maybe." She mumbles, she doesn't speak further as sleep takes over once more.

She doesn't notice the lesson is over until the rest of her classmates get up from their seats. They choose not to wake her up as they don't know how she would react, barely knowing the witch. Although a certain blue haired fairy took notice of her sleeping stature and moved towards her, probably to cause some problems. She had noticed her sleeping when they were talking about the Undersea with that she took it as a great offense. Locke however pulls Nicasia back before she could do anything to disturb the witch.

"Lets not ruin her beauty sleep shall we?" With a pout she listens and they both follow Cardan out the room.

"Since when do you care?" Jude hears Nicasia ask as she makes her way towards Brithas chair. Both her and Taryn haven't left and decided to wake the girl themselves, as kindly as possible. They didn't have to worry about that as the said girl stretched and woke up herself. It took her a minute to process that class was over. Although she was quite surprised to see both the Duarte twins waiting for her.

"Hi Britha, did you not get a good nights sleep?" Funny enough Locke asked the same thing but Taryns way of asking was more out of concern than his.

"I got as much as I could but it looks like I'm still tired." She packs up the rest of her bags. "Oh well, I'll live." Jude doesn't say anything as her eyes follow her. Not hearing any movement Britha looks back and notices they are not following. She raises an eyebrow.

"Well?" Jude narrows her eyes.

"Well what?"

"Aren't you guys coming? Its about time for lunch." The twins eyes widen in surprise. Was she asking them to join her? Britha huffs and looks in front of her at the door.

"For some reason, I don't feel like eating by myself today." She says as if answering their silent question. The twins look at each other as if having a conversation. Britha is not paying attention as she picks at her nails. Jude is the first one to speak this time.

"Alright, why not?" It was a surprise Jude accepted it so easily. But for some reason Britha felt like the girl had some hidden motive as to why. There was no way the headstrong girl would willingly sit with her, not for silly reasons.

THEY FOUND THEMSELVES SETTLED ON THE GRASS COMFORTABLY, even though they have decided to sit together, Britha had her separate blanket that she decided to set right across from the pair. Jude and Taryn wasted no time digging into their food. Britha snorted at the sight of them. She followed suite and decided to bring out her own. Allora had woken up early and along with Zox's help they made her a nice meal filled with two pumpkin jelly sandwhiches (one of her favorites) a salami sandwich with cheese. Rosemary tea that was still hot in her purple pixie shaped thermos. And a scatter of different colored lollipops all tucked in to her basket.

Knowing her sweet tooth she started off with a purple lollipop, but before she could even put it in her mouth, her blouse is met with sand. Knowing all who it was, she lifted her head to meet eyes with the cruel prince himself. He smirked wickedly at her as he was content with disturbing the trios peace. Nicasia laughs as she snakes her arm around his.

"Something the matter?" She asks sweetly but there is malice in her voice. She is enjoying the sight of their humiliation. Britha lightly wipes the remaining sand on her blouse. "Dirt. Its where you came from mortal. Its what you'll return soon enough. Take a big bite." Jude stands her ground.

"Make me"

"I could you know." Cardan says a glint in his eye. Britha has had enough. She was waiting all day to eat and they had ruined it.

Her poor pumpkin jelly sandwiches now covered in sand.

"Let me guess. This is revenge for ruining your little villain act at the palace?" She deadpans. "I didn't know I struck a nerve." Cardan glares.

"You shouldn't have interfered." Britha sighs and grabs her thermos taking a sip of her tea.

"One kid didn't bow to you. You act as if it was the end of the realm."

"At least my realm is still standing." He takes a jab, patiently waiting for a reaction. She doesn't give him one, her face is still intact. Jude takes a glance at the day lecturer hoping to send some silent message of help but as irresponsible and oblivious as most of the lecturers he didn't take any notice of them as his nose was buried in a book.

Unfortunately Valerian took notice of her gaze and kicked more sand into Judes blanket. "You don't want that do you?" He grins, Brithas stomach churns in disgust. "What if we promise to be nice to you for the whole afternoon if you eat everything in your baskets?" God he was ugly.

"Frankly, I'm good thanks." She doesn't miss a beat. But she wipes the sand off her sandwich anyway. Nicasia pulls the a pin from Judes hair, the mortal notices and tries to swat her hand away but she is too late.

"Whats this? Did you think it would make you beautiful?" She begins to taunt. "Did you think it would make you as we are?" Her laugh irritates Brithas ears. "You'll never be our equal."

We don't care too

"Oh come on Nicasia." Locke laughs as he grabs her waist. He meets eyes with Britha. It seems Cardans hasn't left hers either. "Lets leave them to their misery." Britha lets out a sadistic chuckle, devoid of emotion.

"Look at that, only swooping in if it helps for your own benefit."

"Hah? How mean. I did help you get your extra five minutes of sleep didn't I?" He was smiling so wide his teeth felt like a mirror. Taryn cuts in.

"Judes sorry." She apologizes. "We're all really sorry." Britha raises an eyebrow at that. What did she have to apologize for? She meant every word and she knew Jude felt the same.

"She can show us how sorry she is. Tell her she doesn't belong in the summer tournament." This was a surprise to the witch, she didn't realize Jude was to enter.

"Afraid i'll win?" Jude challenges.

"Its not for mortals." Cardan retaliates. "Withdraw or wish that you had." A giggle could be heard and all eyes snap to the young witch. Cardan is a little taken a back. He hadn't expected that kind of reaction. Britha meets eyes with him as she cleans the ends of her pumpkin sandwich, she holds his gaze while she takes a good bite.

"I wonder what is so funny?" He asks, albeit curious.

"I don't know why she's laughing anyway. Shes no better than the mortal, not a peasant like them but not an ounce of faerie in her. Just as disposable." Nicasia sneers.

"Its more exciting that I won't be alone with this tournament." Britha tries not grin at the looks of confusion.

"Whatever do you mean by that?" Valerian hisses and grabs her chin. She deadpans once again.

"You all didn't hear? And I thought you ruled everything? Was that a fluke too?" Valerian clenches his jaw but Britha doesn't care. She slowly grabs his hand and pinches his finger. She then gets up from her seat to face Cardan.

"I'm also a part of the tournament."

"Why?" Britha shrugs without a care. "I think it would be fun. Don't you?" Cardan narrows his eyes. As usual she was always so intact. He will break that calm composure she seemed to carry. He wanted to break her have her in shambles. It would be pleasing to see.

"I don't have to be your equal. But I can promise that I will be better than all of you combined. And i'll show you at the tournament." She meets Jude gazes, it startles the mortal girl a bit. "We'll both show you."

Cardan doesn't say anything while they have their own staring match. He then scoffs and lightly kicks more sand into Brithas space. "Knock yourself out." He says mockingly. Moving to bump his shoulder into her as his group begins to leave them. Nicasia and Valerian both hiss at the girl and Locke makes a move to fix a string of her hair that found its way out from her bun. But she swats his hand away as quickly as possible.

Silence is filled once more as Taryn openly glares at her twin. "Why did you dare them like that?" The disappointment is evident in her voice. "Talking back to him- thats just stupid." Jude grits her teeth.

"I know."

"Go easy on your sister. She was doing her best." Britha comes in defense of the girl.

"I just got angry." Jude defended.

"Well your better off being scared." Taryn advises. Britha couldn't believe her eyes, that Taryn was do disapproving of her twin defending herself, defending them both. Did she not realize they wouldn't treat her any better, not matter how much she tried to convince herself they would.

She meets eyes with Jude. The tension between Cardan and his friends was definitely not over by a long shot. But Britha knew what the mortal girl was thinking. Why she was confused half time on what the witches purpose was.

Jude wanted to know where Britha would stand in all this.

Britha herself didn't know. But she had to admit challenging the said Prince was...fun

"DID LORA SHOW YOU HER NEW TRICK." AN IRRITATED JASER LONGDALE CONFRONTS HIS SISTER AS SOON AS SHE GETS HOME. Britha lets out a tired sigh. she wanted nothing more but to curl up in her bed for a three hour nap than deal with the apparent petty drama her younger siblings were fighting about. She lightly taps his forehead with her finger.

"Yes she did." She answered simply. Jaser pouted at that. He looked even more annoyed.

"Whatever is the matter with you two? I thought you would have made up by now?"

"Its Lora! She doesn't want to speak to me." Britha raises an eyebrow.

"I may have said something to make her sad." He slumps down in a chair. Britha awkwardly looks around her. He looks like he is about to start crying.

She hates seeing people cry.

Simply because she doesn't know to comfort them herself. She's not used to certain emotions because all her life she learned to keep them in control and not slip.

"You're not about to start crying are you?" She asks her voice is quiet, a whisper.

Quickly she realized that was a bad idea as Jaser looked at her pointing an accusatory finger at her. "And whats it to you if I do?!" Britha rolls her eyes and gets up from her seat next to him. She waves him off.

"Whatever, if you are just gonna waste my time and weep I'm gonna go." Jaser looks panicked.

"Wait!" Britha stops to look at him again. "I just said something really mean."

"Well don't willow around the bush and hide what you said. I can't help you if you leave me in the dark." Britha says earnestly. With that Jaser begins to go into detail.

"I'm jealous. It seems everyday she is able to improve on her magic and I, am still left steps behind her."

"Why do you think that?" Britha asks.

"Its just she's able to accomplish more than me! In a span of minutes. I feel like its taking me some time and I don't know why it is." He slumps down in his chair. "It's just frustrating." Britha purses her lips and ponders a bit.

"I want to be able to catch up to her." Jaser jumps a bit when he sees Britha get up from her chair. He simply watches as she leaves the sitting area into the kitchen. He deflates a bit, a part of him thought she didn't care about his rant. That is until she came back with a two glasses one filled with water, the other empty. She sets down the glass of water in front of him. A moment of silence fills the room before she casually gestures to the glass again.

"Well, show me what you have been practicing?" Jaser looks lost.

"Listen you think you are steps behind. Let's see if thats true. Show me." Jaser wipes his eyes and nods. She grabs the other glass.

"We're going to do something simple. You already know how to maneuver the water." She crouches down in front of him. She points at two of the glasses. "Lets see if you can transfer the water from one glass to another." Jaser simply looks at the glasses. And raises his hand. The water moves but he has a hard time lifting it so it can transfer to the glass. It sets back in the glass again droplets of water now fill the table.

"Practice outside, we don't want to make a mess in here. Grandmother will rip our heads." Jaser nodded as he lifts the two glasses. He makes a move to leave the house to their backyard but is stopped when Britha says something to him.

"I want to explain something to you and I want you to listen carefully." Jaser nods again.

"Father has practiced, I have practiced, every each and everyone of the Longdale family have practiced to improve the power that they were gifted on. I know it's frustrating. But you can't take your anger out on Allora, you can do your part as well. And you don't have to see it as a competition. Just do your own thing the results will show,  but you have to be patient." She explains calmly to him. It was the best she could to reassure him. She didn't know if he would heed her words. Her brothers self esteem was a bit low but she hoped he would from time to time begin to see the advantages of his power.

"When you have the chance, try to apologize to Allora tonight. I'm sure things can be mended."  Jaser nods again. He then looks up at his sister a question in his eyes.

"What is it?" She asks curiously.

"Can you keep me company while I practice. It would just be nice if someone could witness my improvement." Britha pauses a bit. An internal struggle in her mind. As much as she loved her brother and want to see what he could come up with, she cherished her own time just as much. It was a conflict, but she remembered how disappointed he was when he shared that resentment. It felt like he was blaming him self. There was so much pressure. She sighs and sets her school bag down. taking off her shoes leaving only her socks she guides him to the backyard.

She guessed sleep could wait and if the next class lecture is boring and a waste of time. Britha would take advantage of that.

Tension all around tension all around hohoo

I love writing it though it makes me feel devious. We see Britha will be joining Jude for the tournament it's gonna be interesting to see what is in store!

And Britha pretending not to care about people but still giving advice you confusion girl i swear.

Anyways I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! Please like, comment, share etc and I hope to see you guys next chapter!

C, OUT!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.1K 852 30
"it felt like a scene from a movie. and i loved every second of it." ✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷ || a jj and kiara fanfic || i do not own any of the characters...
10.8K 284 34
It's been 19 years since Jude Duarte became Queen of Elfhame, 19 years since she became King Cardan Greenbriar's wife, 18 years since she gave birth...
2K 62 14
CHARACTERS BELONG TO HOLLY BLACK Jude Duarte has brought her high school band, Nightfell, back together after years of being broken up just for this...
45.1K 1.6K 38
𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙨𝙩 𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙨, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪? 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵...