The Centurion's Woman

By FliederAmanda

Alexandria "Alex" Moldovan fell asleep at a work retreat and woke up in the same place, just not in the right... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Warrior
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Scholar
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30 - Abridged
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 19

31 2 0
By FliederAmanda

CW - NSFW at the end of the chapter.

IXILLIUS WATCHED HIS wife closely as the day progressed, but carefully so she didn't notice. Her strange bout of sickness last night worried him, especially since she wouldn't say today what she'd felt and just repeated that she was well whenever he asked. She'd also taken to wearing the collar again this morning, offering no explanation why.

        A messenger party arrived as the camp was being set and the man delivering the message was shocked into stuttering when Alex remained present for their conversation. Ixillius chuckled at the messenger's complete astonishment when Quintus arrived and, finding his First File engaged in other business, spoke his evening report to Alex and asked if she had, or was aware of, any further orders. Ixillius dismissed his wife and the messenger with the same command once Alex had relayed the report that Quintus had left with her after dismissing the Optio herself.

        When he saw Verus at the Training Ground, Ixillius sent Brasus to watch Alex under the pretense of evaluating the civilians. Brasus reported quietly at the end of the night that there was no difference in Alex from any days before, she took no new injuries, and the three remaining civilians – all women – were advancing into being capable fighters. Brasus had also finished settling the details of his son's marriage while he was in that part of the camp, which ended the night well.

        Ixillius pulled Alex close when they finally lay down to sleep, and he felt her smile against his arm. She'd had no sudden sickness tonight during sex, and nothing during the day on the march. His small knot of worry finally started to release and he bent his head to kiss at her shoulder and neck. She laughed quietly, chiding him for teasing her so soon after sex, her tone encouraging, so he teased her for real and was rewarded with the lovely things her mouth could do until his dick hardened up so he could sex her again.

                                                                ***

        Alex chuckled as workers in the nearest field to the road called to workers further away, all of them stopping to stare as she walked past. She was certain they'd never seen a collared woman in armor. Whispering started as soon as the workers' gazes fell on Mikey, locked in conversation with Verus because he wanted her speaking clearly when they arrived in Verona, sitting in the cart pulled by Max with the mare just in front of him. Verus also ordered that Mikey dress according to the status he'd bestowed on her, which meant she hadn't been allowed to return the gold trinkets she'd borrowed from him, and since yesterday he'd demanded that she wear each piece.

        Mikey paused in her conversation at another distant cry. Alex avoided looking up when Mikayla turned her sharp glare down to bore into the side her friend's head. Sound carried well in the crisp air, and while Alex was aware of why screams were happening this close to Verona, Mikey didn't know yet. Alex didn't want to tell her because she figured Mikayla would react badly to crucifixions being an accepted, legally sentenced punishment. Mostly Alex was hoping that Verus would explain the details during their constant conversation, but that hope was dashed when he looked down at Alex as well. His expression was a lot more amused, though.

        During the midday meal, they'd passed a road marker that made Ixillius grin and a few of the men behind them cheer. Alex learned later, listening to Mikey and Verus, the marker read a distance proving they would be camped outside Verona a few hours before the evening meal tomorrow. Alex ignored another scream... they'd probably start marching past those who'd been crucified later today. Ixillius stared down at her in combination with Mikayla and Verus this time. Alex sighed.

        "We're getting close to Verona," she stated in Russian, "and criminals are being crucified beside the road to the city."

        Mikey paled a shade and snapped back to looking forward. Verus frowned at the short statement causing her sudden reaction; he'd grown up in this era, so wouldn't understand even if he knew what had been said. Alex didn't bother to translate for anyone. After the next scream, Mikey looked at her lap for a moment and then stoically continued her conversation with Verus.

                                                                ***

        The following morning was cooler than the day before, with a light dusting of snow over everything. Alex and Ixillius woke up to Mikey and Verus arguing through the latest assessment she was forcing him to do. Verus complained bitterly as he completed every physical task and then sat – sullen and glaring – as she checked his heart rate, blood pressure, and everything else she could do with the limited supplies she had. He was badly winded from the small exertion, and the frustration was clear on his face. Mikayla didn't bother to say anything about the poor results, she just promised to monitor his improvements. Verus limped to the wash stand as she cleaned up her things, cursing that even after completing all the exercises he still wasn't allowed to have his cane.

        Ixillius dressed quickly and attempted to leave earlier than normal due to the hanging gloom the testing created, but Alex stopped him. They argued in whispers as she pulled the little lock and key from his cloak pocket, making him grudgingly lock the collar in place. Alex took the key from his hand and kissed his jaw, dropping the key into the same little purse with her mother's medallion.

        Per their usual habits, Alex pulled on her armor after Ixillius left for morning orders and then she and Verus helped each other fasten up. She got Max harnessed while Mikey packed their things, and then loaded everyone's kits from Verus's tent onto the mare so that Marcus could tear down both Verus's tent and the one he was borrowing from Ixillius. The cavalrymen of the 1st and 1st waited until Alex walked Max and the mare out of the pen before disassembling and packing up the fencing. Everything was happening a lot faster, and with a lot higher spirits, under the knowledge that tonight they would be outside Verona.

        When Ixillius and Quintus strode to the front of the line to start the march, all of the 1st and 1st was in place and waiting – the first time Alex had seen that happen while on march with them – and Verus chided the men harshly, gaining cheers and snide rebuttals in return. Ixillius picked a faster walking pace than usual and there were still merchants and families passing the front of the line to get ahead of the men so they could be ready for Market Day tomorrow, but remain close enough to be associated with the rumors and stories that plagued the Legion.

        Mikey did better at ignoring the stares from people and Verus did his best to deflect the shouted questions but, even to Alex, seeing Verus and Mikey conversing in a cart pulled by Max left an impression of otherworldliness. As well, Ixillius – standing taller than almost everyone else – walking beside Max as the warhorse often nosed at him for pats and rubs, with Hades pecking at him from his perch on Max's withers begging for attention, left more than one family staring open-mouthed from where they'd stopped on the side of the road to allow the Legion right-of-way.

        Now-familiar messengers came and went throughout the morning, ferrying information to and from the new Legate. Ixillius converted the messages into orders and sent them back along the line as needed, ensuring that Minerva's 1st would arrive in order for Verus's older brother, Legate Ennius Celsus Mirificus, to take command. Ixillius had promised Aetius that he would bring a Legion and not broken mob, and he didn't want to break the promise in the final hours of the march.

        Alex hadn't known what to expect when they arrived, despite the order that Ixillius was to have everyone formally assembled in a finished camp as soon as possible, but being completely ignored wasn't a scenario that had crossed her mind. The men didn't seem out of sorts, though, and they established the camp and fortifications to include the new tents in the shortest amount of time she'd ever seen. Alex took her place beside Ixillius – at the opposite shoulder to Quintus – as the Legion assembled behind them on the Parade Ground built into the encampment for this assembly.

        Ennius and his officers strode onto the grounds and faced the men. The short speech given by Verus's older brother was well rehearsed and perfectly delivered, welcoming the men after the difficult march, bestowing honors on them for reaching Verona, and ending with announcing his command of Minerva's 1st by order of the Emperor. The last part, obviously intended to be met with a positive response, was left hanging in silence. Ixillius glanced over his shoulder at the waiting troops, looking to see what they were waiting for. They were watching either Alex's back, or looking over to the same place he'd been watching: at Mikayla where she sat with Verus.

        The question was clear on Alex's face when she turned her head slightly to be able to see him, and he had to fight to stop the grin that was threatening to make him appear as though he was laughing at his new commanders. He bent slightly to speak privately to his wife.

        "What's going on?" she whispered as soon as he leaned close.

        "Your truths have stopped being rumors," he whispered back.

        Ixillius watched Alex's eyes widen, the realization washing over her that the rumors of herself and her surgeon that she insisted to him were falsehoods were now facts to the men (himself included). She chewed at her bottom lip, thinking fast at how to get past this sudden dilemma of the Legion following her that she hadn't even considered until this moment. Ixillius glanced sideways at his new commanders, seeing the same patient expression on his Legate's face that Verus often wore when encountering unexpected reactions in people. The Tribunes shifted awkwardly as the silence drew longer.

        Alex quickly pieced together an idea that should work. The Legion was waiting for a sign from their 'gods' that this new command was actually in charge, and the sign was going to have to be equivalent to Verus still being alive. That meant Mikey had to be involved, not sitting to the side with Verus and watching. Alex took a step forward and away from Ixillius, nodding as if he'd given her an order. She turned slightly and, holding her right hand to her heart, faced toward Mikey.

        "We need some 'divine' assistance," Alex spoke loudly in English, avoiding the Russian that Verus was getting too familiar with. One side of Mikey's lips curled into a grin.

        "What have you done?" she asked, dryly, in the same language.

        "My husband believes our rumors worked better than intended," Alex dropped her hand to her side and stood to attention, purposefully avoiding using his name. "You need to do something that looks like handing over command."

        "Why can't you?" Mikayla tried to pass back the responsibility.

        "Because I've deferred to you since I brought you here," Alex argued back, speaking her reply confidently. "And don't you dare sigh as if this is stupid," Alex caught her friend before her typical response to having to speak in public emerged.

        "Don't engage with any of the locals until we get to the hospital?" Mikayla asked, her tone as serious as Alex's.

        "Yes," Alex answered definitively. Mikayla stood and walked to where Alex was waiting, every man watching her progress.

        "So," she stated, her posture straight and her bearing confident. "How will I give control of a Legion I don't command to a commander I don't know?"

        "My brother has been writing to his brother every day this past week," Alex replied, looking Mikey in the eye. "Once we kneel, walk over there and get him to stand up and then just face back to the Legion. Everyone will likely cheer when he acknowledges the men."

        "And you actually believe everyone will bow to me," sarcasm slipped into Mikey's reply. Alex winked and dropped her head, then stepped back to her place beside her husband and dropped to one knee. Ixillius was on one knee beside her in a second, and the entire Legion dropped within the span of a breath. Even Verus slipped off his stool and sank to his good knee. Mikayla forced herself not to shake her head as she looked over the kneeling masses before turning to face the still-standing officers. The Legate hesitated for a moment and then slowly lowered to one knee as well, his Tribunes following one after the other in utter confusion.

        "I can't believe that worked," she proclaimed. After a second, Mikayla walked over to Ennius and brushed the back of her hand against his cheek so he would look up. His features were chiselled similar to his younger brother, but his eyes were a chocolate hazel rather than the vibrant green, and grey salted his dark hair. She tucked her fingers under his chin and pressed lightly to bring him to his feet. The look on his face was almost the same as Brasus had worn the first time he'd seen Mikey, but without the threat of spontaneously vomiting. As Alex had instructed, Mikey turned and faced back out to the watching Legion, stepping beside the Legate as she did. Ennius tore his gaze away from her and stared out at the men, lifting his arm in salute as if he was in on the ruse. Almost as one, Minerva's 1st shot to their feet and cheered, Alex and Mikey able to join in – and finally laugh.

                                                                ***

        Verus and his brother fought over sleeping arrangements for the entire evening meal. Ennius wanted Verus with him, and Verus wanted to maintain his current living situation. The fight revisited childhood arguments before finally being settled that Ennius's tent would replace Ixillius's. Marcus was placed as an Optio within the 1st and 3rd and moved into that part of the encampment. Ixillius packed his tent onto the cart before returning to the evening's duties. Ennius joined Ixillius and Quintus for the nightly rounds, wanting to speak plainly with them about the Legion he now commanded, especially since Verus had denied him any conversation after their argument over sleeping arrangements.

        "What are you giggling about?" Verus scowled as he came around the drape to join her at the wash stand.

        "You," she replied easily, making room for him. "You and Ennius are the same," she added with another chuckle as she started drying off.

        "Of course we are," he snapped. "I wouldn't respect him if he wasn't like me."

        "You are younger," she chided, "so you are like him."

        "I should cut out your tongue," he glared at her.

        "Then you will have only Mikayla to argue with," she reasoned. "And she wins more than you."

        "At least with her I can win," he muttered.

        "I promise to let you win one day," Alex crooned, rubbing his back one handed as if comforting a child.

        "Swear you will," he stated, his features serious as he knocked her hand away.

        "I swear to you, right now, that I will let you win an argument when you are right," she vowed.

        "I heard you say that," Mikey called from where she was sitting at the table. "I am a witness to your agreement."

        Alex and Verus finally laughed, the mock fight ending as Verus began his regular nightly routine. Alex doted on him as much as he would allow – which tonight was almost as much as she doted on her animals. She could see the same level of strain on him at being excluded from the Legion's affairs that she was feeling. Even though Ixillius discussed decisions with him, Verus wasn't commanding. He was clearly proud of what Ixillius had accomplished, much like a father watching his son succeed, but the desire for the success to have been his own showed plainly tonight.

        "I must be in a terrible state for such treatment," he said quietly as Alex used her grooming knife to tidy up his hair after shaving him.

        "No," she shrugged, lying badly enough that he looked at her like she was an idiot. "We are both on the outside now," she admitted, knowing she needed the comfort of doting on him as much as he enjoyed being fussed over.

        "I expect the rest of the march to Illyria will be very different," Verus conceded. "And I doubt either of us will participate as much as we could, or as fully as we should."

        "We will do what we can," she said, wondering what that might even amount to, or if they would be sent to the back of the line with the rest of the families. She put down the knife and brushed away the few trimmed hairs that had fallen on his toga, lost in her own thoughts of what the next months would bring. Verus surprised her by wrapping her up in a tight hug.

        "We will not be left behind," he whispered, kissing her temple, "and we will not be sent to the back of the line." She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder, hugging him back.

        "I'm gone for an hour and a half and you're stealing my wife," Ixillius stated, looking around the drape.

        "Of course," Verus pushed Alex backwards against the wash stand and ground his hips into hers, glaring over his shoulder at Ixillius as she laughed. "Someone has to see the Lady satisfied."

        "At least I know who to kill if my children have green eyes," Ixillius replied lightly. "Send her over to get me out of my armor when you're done with her," Ixillius walked back toward the table.

        "Thank you, husband, for such a strong defense of our marriage," Alex laughed as Verus let her go.

        "You're my slave, Lady," he called back. "I can whore you for profit, and," he emphasized as she came around the drape, "I need the money to buy pretty things for you at the Market. Celsus Mirificus has allowed all men to have two hours each to spend freely tomorrow. The 1st through the 4th cohorts have the morning, the 5th through the 10th have the afternoon, and all men returned to camp by nightfall."

        "I assume you suggested such lax allowances?" Verus accused.

        "Not at all," Ixillius lifted his arm for Alex to better reach the fastenings. "Your uncle made the suggestion."

        "I knew Ennius had gone soft," Verus scowled.

        "You'd have listened to the advice had Quintus told you as well," Ennius walked into the tent without asking permission. "And you can't argue that as we both know I'm right."

        "I would have established command first and given leave on the next Market Day," Verus stated, limping around the drape.

        "This just proves you haven't learned anything from all your years in the Legions."

        "You're a fool."

        "You're an idiot," Ennius finished the spat with a hug that lifted the younger brother off the ground, both of them laughing once Verus was standing on his own feet again.

        "Tell me of the past year since you've written to me of yourself," Verus pointed his brother to a stool as Ennius produced wine skeins from inside his cloak.

        They spoke for hours, catching up on family gossip and happenings, exchanging the details of Valerius's demise with the news of how school was progressing for Ennius's sons, and the hundreds of other things that family who enjoy each other's company find to talk about. Alex finally managed to coax Ennius out as midnight neared, and only after promising that every evening this week would be spent the same way. Alex rinsed the skeins after Verus and Mikey retired to their room, pouring the very weak wine into a single skein and hanging up the others to dry.

        Alex, already being cleaned up, went to lie down as Ixillius washed up. She was expecting an early start to the next day and, despite the permissions for the men being allowed to join in Market Day, tomorrow was most likely going to be a busy morning and a long afternoon and evening. They were going to need what sleep they could get. She was straightening the bottom blanket when Ixillius came in, and he helped her flatten out the stubborn wrinkles in the wool.

        "All the conversation tonight of happenings from the past year, I starting thinking about our first week together," he began. Alex sat back and looked at him, expecting him to continue.

        "What about the week?" she finally asked when he didn't keep talking.

        "I recall that you enjoyed sex more," his hands settled at her waist and he pulled her onto his lap.

        "I still enjoy sex very much," she replied, rocking as his thumbs massaged her hips.

        "Yes," he agreed, his fingers working her little bindings off. "But not as much, I think. We should celebrate tonight. Getting to Verona is a victory."

        Her waters slicked his hand instantly. She arched and shuddered after only a few moments, her cry muffled by his shoulder as his fingers stroked the rhythm he'd learned brought her orgasm the quickest. Her second cry was louder against him, the orgasm more violent. He kissed at her neck and shoulder, nipping her skin with his teeth. Her need overcame what only his fingers could do and she pulled at his tunic and little bindings, guiding his dick into her body and thrusting down until she could stroke the full length.

        She rode him hard into her next peak, her muffled cries in time with each thrust of her hips. He threaded his fingers into hers and locked their hands together. She moaned and writhed against him, but tonight he wanted more.

        He lay down, relaxing to his back and keeping her sitting up, his grip on her hands stopping her from covering her mouth. She cursed at him quietly as the realization finally hit her – much too late – and he started thrusting deeply on his own rhythm. Her cries continued, well past when he stopped preventing her from muffling them, meeting every need he'd ever wanted up to this day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 767 59
#1 in AdultromancešŸ¤­ "She's messing up with my brains again!" Stefano shut his eyes tightly and took a deep breath trying to fight off the feeling he...
2.7K 120 17
{Part 2 book} Where did I lose my mind like my lover? It's quite surprisingly that I'm a bit more saner than the Devil himself. The flashing lights a...
464K 2.6K 9
Exiled and left to die on a hostile alien planet for a crime she didnt commit, alita is saved by a alien native who wants nothing to do with her... O...
1.2K 51 8
A dark romance, vividly grotesque, morally questionable, fate-defying, vampirically induced tale of happily ever after. With a little bit of dark hum...