Her Melting Point

By kkolmakov

Jocelyn Burns returns to the county of Fleckney after ten years of building her teaching and education admini... More

Welcome Back
Find Your Spot
A Blast from the Past
The Old School
A Past Master
Basic Logic
No Way Around It
On Her Turf
Moving Heaven and Earth
Working Around
Expect, or Not to Expect
The Opening Kickoff
Make Yourself Comfortable
Knocking Knees
Going Out
Down Memory Lane
Let Me Tell You What to Think
New Trouble
Those Who Don't Learn From History
Fallout
Pace Around It Like a Cat
Don't Badger Me Into It
Making Friends
Overflow
Jackie and Alexander in the Bedroom
So Healthy It Shines
In the Cold Light
The Answer
The Weight of Your Decisions
Chekhov's Gun
In for a Penny
Mathematics of the Sense
Should, or Not to Should
Not So Long in the Tooth
Me Without You
If You Need Me
All of You
Down to the Wire
Voulez Vous?
Ready to Fly the Coop
Hit the Sack
The Calm Before
Music to My Ears
Progress on All Fronts
Howdy, Jackie
God's Gift to Women
Walk the Walk
That's How It Is
Open Up
X#2
Panto Me Over
The Punchline
Girl Talk
Without a Backward Glance
A Normal Day at the Office
Something Tookish
The Road (Not) Taken
What's That?
Alexander Makes an Effort
Halmos Ever After
Falling Action
Just Accept It
Gathering Forces
So Help Me God
And One More, And Another One
Coming Home
Cereal Packet
Epilogue

Do It Differently

175 27 14
By kkolmakov

Part 2 of today's double update <3

She could just imagine the double miming act that they were performing for the real estate agent; and her spine grew rigid. She could vaguely recollect that, besides the task of ceasing this inappropriate behaviour, there was also a phone call that needed ending. Her fingers curled frantically; and then she remembered that she wasn't the one holding her mobile.

The whiskers of his beard were as coarse as she imagined. Her hand twitched, and they scraped the heel of her palm. His lips and his breath were hot against her skin. 

Jackie couldn't tear her eyes off Michael's car. It stopped; Alexander shifted. And then his fingers wrapped around her wrist, and he carefully took her hand off his mouth. Jackie was negotiating with her stiff neck on turning her head, with its painfully flaming cheeks and ringing ears - and that's when Alexander rubbed the inside of her wrist with his thumb. Jackie finally managed to look at him - only to find herself staring at the top of his head, while he placed a small kiss on the bracelet lines on her wrist.

"Alexander!"

He lowered their hands, without letting her go, and placed her mobile into her grasp.

"A piece of pot scraped my ankle," he said levelly.

If blush stains weren't burning on his cheekbones, Jackie could almost believe that she'd been the only one who'd seen anything out of the ordinary in what had just happened between them.

"I'll ask Michael for a first aid kit," he added - and released her hand.

Her Android dropped on the ground with a pathetic thump.

Alexander picked it up and offered it to her again.

"What a menace," he murmured - which shook her out of her stupor.

"Don't move!" she ordered and dashed towards the agent standing near an open door to his VW.

"Should I get back in my car and give you more time for whatever that was?" Michael asked with a giggle, while Jackie headed to the back of the car.

"I need your first-aid kit," Jack muttered.

"Hiya!" Michael hollered, waving wildly at Alexander. "Did you quickly hook up to celebrate the deal's closure?" the agent then asked Jackie, thankfully keeping his voice low. "Why do you need the kit? Are you secretly super kinky?"

"Shush," Jackie hissed at the agent and threw an anxious glance down the driveway. "He bumped into something in the shed."

Alexander stood in exactly the same spot, his hands pushed deep into his jeans pockets.

"That's just dull," Michael scoffed, taking the black case and handing it to Jackie. "I don't know about you but I'd sink my teeth in that shoulder at the first opportunity. Or that calf."

Jackie couldn't help but stare at the agent. She was aware that her limited experience was as humdrum as heterosexual married shagging could be - but outside some very specific fetish, why would anyone want to bite someone else's leg?

"I'd ask him out, but who knows how he would react. I don't want to arse up my chances to sell his other two cottages." Michael whispered conspiratorially. "Do you know if he's gay?"

"I know that his leg is bleeding," Jackie grumbled and headed back to Alexander.

"Right, yes, good call," the agent muttered and followed her.

After a short argument - Alexander didn't want to muck up the floors inside; Jackie barked at him that it was 'almost her floor' now, and that he needed to sit down - the three of them walked in. Michael started faffing around Alexander, who sat down on the second step of the stairs leading to the first floor and rolled up his trouser leg. His hands worked quickly and deftly; and Jackie considered giving her noggin a good shake, to chase away the oddly graphic memories of him examining her ankle. The laceration on his leg wasn't large, but deep and still bleeding profusely. Michael retreated into the sitting room pretty much immediately.

"Do you need anything?" Jackie asked.

"No, thank you," Alexander said.

He hiked up the trouser leg to avoid getting it dirty; and she caught a glimpse of a large tattoo hugging his calf. She could only see the bottom of it: columns of letters and symbols - she thought she could distinguish possibly two or three African alphabets; some Urdu writing, Indian or Pakistani; and what looked like some Eastern European writing, Latin letters with those additional accents and little 'tails' - trickling down from the main image, spanning across his gastrocnemius muscle, currently hidden under his jeans. 

Michael's comment echoed in her mind - and she fled.

***

With the final arrangements in order, Michael put away the paperwork in his stylish messenger bag. The three of them were sitting on the window seat. The deep sill was one of the first things that had made Jackie fall in love with the cottage.

"Normally, I'd invite the two of you for brunch with a shameless amount of sangria to celebrate, but I feel like such a gooseberry," Michael said, pressing his hand to his chest dramatically.

Jackie threw him a death glare.

"I know you've got your bike," the agent addressed her, clearly unfazed by the telepathic threats she was sending his way. "How are you going back, Mr. Fergusson? Now that you're... wounded."

"I'll walk, thank you," Alexander answered and shifted his gaze on Jackie.

Michael bit his tongue, despite quite obviously planning to offer Fergusson a lift a second ago.

"What a pity," the agent said and grinned. "We should have dinner then. To celebrate?"

Jackie was preparing to lie that she'd love to, intending to politely and 'regretfully' cancel at the last moment. She was almost certain that, unlike her, Alexander would have no qualms simply refusing the agent.

"Sounds good," Alexander said and took out his mobile. "How's Thursday at 7? I can make a reservation in the Serpent's Nest."

"Oh Jackie, we have to go there!" Michael clapped his hands. "It's the restaurant in the Nidhogg Hall. But they are always booked!"

"I've got an in," Alexander said, his eyes on his phone now.

"I've forgotten you're related to Lady Anna! By law, that is." Michael cheekily clicked his tongue. "And probably to the Bjornssons themselves, somewhere there, a few generations back. Surely, someone's Uncle or someone's Grandfather was born in the vestry. Weren't the Fergussons the Bjornssons' serfs, or something?"

Silence rang in the room, suddenly deafening - and then Jackie remembered. There had been some sort of a half-hushed ugly story about Alexander's mother and one of the Bjornsson men, which involved an attempted assault and a later physical altercation between several members of both families. It had happened before Jackie's time; but people never stopped discussing it.

"Dinner sounds ace! It's decided then," she said in an unnaturally chipper tone and jumped to her feet.

Alexander immediately rose as well. Michael hurried said his goodbyes and was gone, escaping the tangible tension in the room.

"Are you alright?" Jackie asked Alexander when the entrance door banged closed.

She could see muscles dance on his jaw.

"He didn't grow up in Fleckney," Alexander commented even more flatly than usual.

"I'm sure he wouldn't have said it, if he had. He just doesn't know." Jackie shook her head. "I'm sorry it reminded you of your parents."

Alexander nodded. Jackie impulsively stretched her hand and brushed it down his upper arm in a comforting gesture. He jolted - and shrank away from under her touch.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have, without asking," she said remorsefully.

"I'm OK with you touching me," he said. "Just not like that."

An instant wave of shame made her lower her head.

"I apologise," she muttered. "Like you said, I'm not your teacher anymore. It's botching up my sense of boundaries. I shouldn't have overstepped."

He faced her and studied her down his nose. "You haven't." He frowned, and his eyes seemed even darker, intent on her, as if searching for something. "You did exactly what a good teacher would do."

She saw the exact moment when he arrived at some sort of an internal decision - and he picked up her chin with his curled index finger. Her breathing hitched.

"If you want to comfort me, do it as a friend or a lover," he said. "I'm not a child anymore."

He tilted his head, and their faces were once again very close - and she couldn't even blink, to say nothing of moving in any way.

"Besides," he murmured, and his breath brushed at her mouth. "Every time you touch me, all I can think of is... this."

Some strange note, like a twang of a guitar string, rang in her head, when he pressed his mouth to hers. And then she shivered, when he, first, brushed his warm lips across hers; stroking, first, her bottom one, then the upper one. Then he opened his mouth ever so slightly, and he was catching Jackie's lips, caressing them lightly, in tiny feathery nips. His hands fanned on her back, and he slowly drew her closer. And then the very tip of his tongue softly flicked at her lips, in the centre dip of her bottom one - and her knees buckled.

A shocked gasp burst out of her; and he chuckled, low in his throat. It turned out that her hands were splayed on his pectoral muscles - and she felt some sort of a low thrum rumbling in his chest that lingered after that laugh.

"Alexander..."

"A bit more, first," he said and cupped her jaw, angling her face. "Then we can talk."

Her choked 'But–' halted him; and it felt as if zaps of static were bouncing between their lips.

"Yes?" he asked - and she could hear that he wasn't anticipating a response. He wasn't wrong.

She knew how rare his smiles were - and she could never have imagined that he could wear this sort of an expression. A playful lopsided smirk quirked his lips. For once, he was making direct, prolonged eye contact - and his eyes shone.

"What." He inched closer. "A–"

Jackie closed her eyes.

He chuckled again, murmured, "Menace," and kissed her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 152 13
Scarlett West is delighted at the thought of her best friend Cyrine finally getting married. When Scarlett is invited to the wedding after party, she...
52.6K 5.4K 70
After ten years, Viola Holyoake returns to the peaceful picturesque village of Fleckney Fields, the home of the large family of her ex-husband, Rhys...
202K 8K 39
"Well then, there must be a reason why you aren't able to keep your eyes off me in the market today, Miss Wellesley." He whispered in my ear, sending...
12.3M 63.9K 10
Love comes in all shapes and forms, but Kelly Young had no idea it'd come in the form of her most hated teacher, Mr. Todd. •A Student x Teacher Roman...