Then and Now // Robby Keene x...

By ColonelSimp

Y/n Y/l/n transfers schools the summer before her Senior year of high school. She went out one night, but was... More

Important Notes
Season 2
Chapter 1: Reunion
Chapter 2: Valley Fest Demo
Chapter 3: Miyagi-Do Karate
Chapter 4: Lotus and Live Lyrics
Chapter 5: Chores
Chapter 6: Relief
Chapter 7: First Victory
Chapter 8: Valley Viral
Chapter 9: Starved
Chapter 11: Pursued
Chapter 12: That Feeling
Chapter 13: Asked Out
Chapter 14: Backstage Passes
Chapter 15: Confrontation
Chapter 16: West Valley High
Chapter 17: Broken Again
Chapter 18: Angel Eyes

Chapter 10: Unanswered Questions

505 24 13
By ColonelSimp

Mr. LaRusso sat us all inside the dojo, before beginning to explain.

Mr. LaRusso in Cobra Kai? No one ever expected that this would be something Mr. LaRusso would endure, let alone admit.

He explained his experience to us, using very vague but meaningful details. Cobra Kai changed him; it made him violent, short-tempered, angry...

Sam seemed just as in the dark as anyone else, even though she was Mr. LaRusso's own daughter. "You never told me about any of this," Sam spoke, her eyes following her dad's movements as she listened intently.

Mr. LaRusso sighed and held out his hands from his sides. "It's not something I'm proud of, Sam," he responded, his voice light. "But my point is that anyone can be seduced by Cobra Kai, even me. And I'll admit, Cobra Kai makes you feel stronger, tougher, but it will also get you in trouble. And that's what happened to me. I'm just lucky Mr. Miyagi was willing to take me back. So, remember, it doesn't matter who anyone was before they stepped into this dojo. All that matters is that right now, today, we are all Miyagi-Do."

After Mr. LaRusso finished his explanation speech, the room went silent. Everyone thought over what he said to us, while looking around to the other students in the room.

I felt a small smile find itself on my lips. I feel like there's hope. Mr. LaRusso knows what he's talking about. He always knows exactly what to say. He's pretty wise, and I can't help but silently thank Mr. Miyagi for it.

Suddenly, Demetri stood up from the mat. Then he looked back down at one of the new students, the one he had been arguing with earlier. Demetri held out his hand, helping the new student up to.

"How about we try at that rock again?" Demetri asked. The new boy smiled, nodding his head. Demetri looked relieved. "Good, because I've got a new idea..." Demetri's voice faded as the two boys walked to the back yard.

Everyone else started standing up now too. I took this opportunity to introduce myself to the new students. I went around and shook their hands, telling them my name while also learning theirs.

Eventually, everyone filtered back outside. I noticed Mr. LaRusso looking over us all with a triumphant smile on his face. Once everyone left, I walked up to Mr. LaRusso.

"Hey, Mr. LaRusso. I just wanted to apologize for my outburst earlier... and for the one I had when Demetri got here... Looks like I have a problem with getting mad and storming away." I chuckled, trying to make my words sound a little lighter.

Mr. LaRusso smiled, creases forming on the corners of his eyes. "It's no problem. I get it. I was a real hothead when I was your age. If Mr. Miyagi were here, he could've told you how many times I've stormed away from him. Trust me, it happened a lot." He added a chuckle too.

"Thank you for understanding," I said.

"No problem," he repeated. "I think Miyagi-Do will help you out a lot. I hope you're liking it here."

"Trust me, Mr. LaRusso, I'm loving it here," I assured him. We both laughed lightly, before our attention was caught from a yell outside. We both furrowed our eyebrows, before following the sound and leaving the dojo.

Standing by the knocked-down rock was Demetri and the other new student, whose name I think is Chris. Except, now that rock wasn't knocked over. It stood up hard and tall, like it used to. On the ground around it laid a couple smaller rocks and a couple sticks of bamboo.

Demetri went in for a high-five, while Chris went in for a fist bump, creating a very awkward interaction. Demetri just ended up put his hands over Chris' fist and shaking it awkwardly.

Mr. LaRusso and I joined the rest of the students, who were standing around and watching them.

Mr. LaRusso looked proud, his head nodding slowly. "Good job, guys. You see that? We all work together as a team, anything's possible," he said. All the students let out sounds of agreement.

"Now," Mr. LaRusso spoke again, "I think we've done enough for today. You all did great. We'll meet back here tomorrow at 8AM."

All the students groaned at the early meeting time, making Mr. LaRusso laugh out loud.

Then everyone started to make their way out of the dojo. I, however, crossed my arms over my chest and stared at the rock in silence. My eyes inspected the letters carved into it, the ridges on the sides, the shape it carves into the scenery of the dojo.

"You ok?" I heard a voice speak suddenly.

My head turned, my eyes landing on Robby standing next to me. His eyes looked between me and the rock, before ultimately fixing on me.

"I can't believe I missed it..." I spoke, a little sad I didn't get to see Demetri and Chris actually put the rock back up. Robby laughed lightly in response.

It was quiet for a moment, before Robby spoke again. "Hey, I was wondering... Would you be up for going to Monroe's with me?" he asked.

"Now?" I asked.

"That's kind of what I was thinking, yeah." Robby smiled at me. I thought for a moment, before smiling back at him.

"Sure. Let's go to Monroe's," I said.

We drove in my car, since Robby came to the dojo with the LaRusso's. The car ride was rather awkward and quiet, and it didn't help that Monroe's was way further away than it used to be. But we finally got there, and I felt somewhat excited.

I haven't been to Monroe's in months. I couldn't bring myself to go in after Robby and I's sudden parting, no matter how much I craved a Lotus drink.

The inside looked the same, as if time hadn't moved at all in here. The small building was packed with people, the lights were dimmed, there was a singer on stage, and the same old bartender walked quickly back and forth behind the bar as he made people's drinks. We found two empty stools at the bar and sat.

"Hey, Jimmy," Robby called to the bartender as he walked by. His eyes, which were previously focused on the drinks in his hands, raised quickly and landed on Robby and me. A grin spread across his face.

He was an older man with an Irish accent, muscular build, and dark hair that had streaks of grey in it. His famous mustache was greyer, which was really the only indication of his age. He looked good for how old he was, and he knew it. The only real wrinkles on his face were those formed around his eyes when he smiled. Jimmy's dad opened Monroe's but passed it to Jimmy after he died. Robby and I got to know him well.

"Shite, look at you guys! Long time, no see," Jimmy exclaimed, turning towards us with the drinks in his hands. His voice was loud, so we could hear him over the music and talking. "I haven't made nearly as many Lotuses without you here to order them!"

Robby and I chuckled. "It's good to see you, Jimmy," I said to him. 

"It's good to see you guys too! What brings you back all the sudden? You don't hate me, do you?" Jimmy joked. Robby and I both shook our heads. Toby opened his mouth to talk, when someone further down the bar interrupted.

"Hey, dude," the guy spoke loudly, nodding his head towards Jimmy, "are you gonna bring us our drinks or what?"

Jimmy stood up straighter and glared at the man, narrowing his eyes. Jimmy is so nice, but he can look very intimidating. The man across the bar slouched in his chair slightly.

"Cool it," Jimmy said sternly, still looking directly at the man. The guy looked down at his hands, where he fidgeted with his fingers nervously.

Jimmy set the guy's drinks down harshly in front of himself, a little bit spilling over the top. Then he reached back and wiped his hands on the small towel he had in his back pocket. "Bastard can wait for his drinks now," Jimmy whispered quietly.

Jimmy looked back at us again, his usual brightness returned to his face. I looked between him and the man, my head shaking lightly. "That never gets old," I said.

"Gotta show 'em who's boss." Jimmy shrugged his shoulder. "You guys want the usual?"

"Please," Robby answered. Then Jimmy left to prepare two Surprise Lotuses.

My eyes traveled around the room, even though a lot of it was covered by the crowds of people. "It hasn't changed," I spoke. Robby let out an agreeing sound, looking around too.

Jimmy was back quickly with our drinks, giving them to us with his usual grin again. "First round's on the house," he told us. I opened my mouth to speak, but Jimmy put a hand out, stopping me. "Yes, Y/n, I'm sure," he added. I laughed and thanked him for his generosity.

Jimmy glanced back at that guy further down the bar. "Best give this prick his drinks now. Think he learned his lesson?"

"He'd be a fool if he didn't," Robby answered.

"Damn right." Jimmy picked up the drinks in his hands and went to finally give them to the impatient man.

I looked down at my drink. I stirred the straw around a couple times, so I could hear the sweet sound of the ice inside the delectable Lotus drink, before leaning down and taking the first sip. It tasted just as good as the last time, if not better after the long pause in between.

I groaned in delight and looked at Robby. He was already looking at me, his drink seemingly untouched. I looked between him and the glass. "Is there something wrong with yours?"

He blinked, as if being knocked out of deep thought. He grabbed his drink, before we took a sip of ours together, our faces lighting up simultaneously.

We talked happily with each other, recounting funny events at the dojo, like the time Robby was walking normally over the decks in the yard and suddenly slipped and fell.

It doesn't sound funny at first, but considering I was supposed to be doing silent meditations with Mr. LaRusso and I saw the whole fall happen right in front of me, I couldn't help but burst out into laughter.

Bands and soloists cycled on stage, playing a few songs before switching to the next person. If there's one good thing about Monroe's (even though there are an abundance), it's that the place never fails to be lively.

"Shit, I have been craving these for so long," Robby said, taking another sip of his fourth Lotus Drink. It's like he's been trying to make up for lost time without them.

I flashed a smile, before it faded just as quick. I knew I shouldn't have asked, but the words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them. "When was the last time you came here?"

The silence between us was deafening. I knew the answer before I even asked the question, and by the look on Robby's face, I could tell he didn't want to answer.

I nodded my head without a word, looking down at my drink and stirring it absentmindedly. I heard the music playing in the background, but suddenly, it sounded much more familiar in my ears; the voice, the sound, and the lyrics.

I turned around, stretching out my neck to see over people's heads. It took me a minute to recognize the singer on stage, but I figured it out, nonetheless.

I turned back to Robby. "That's the guy that was on stage before Miyagi-Do at Valley Fest," I exclaimed. It wasn't really such a revolutionary topic, but I desperately wanted to erase the awkward between us.

"Really?" Robby asked, before taking a moment to listen to the guy singing and playing the guitar on stage. "Wow, he's pretty good." Robby nodded his head, looking at me again. I nodded in agreement.

Robby was quiet, before speaking up again, "Y/n, can I ask you something?" His eyes darted between my own, waiting for an answer. I eventually nodded, encouraging him to continue. "What made you come to the dojo in the first place?"

I thought about my answer thoroughly, but it felt as though a lump had grown in my throat. I tried to swallow it down to respond, but... I didn't have a good answer to tell him.

I opened my mouth to say something, anything, when my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I took it out to see an incoming call from Jaxon. I answered it and out the phone to my ear.

"Hey, Jax," I greeted.

He said something, but I couldn't hear him over the noise from inside Monroe's. I plugged my other ear with my finger and asked him to repeat it.

"Mom's breaking down," he said.

"She's..." I paused, before exhaling a pained breath.

"Can you come home? Please?" Jaxon asked, a hint of worry lacing his voice.

"Of course, yes- I'm on my way," I told him before hanging up the phone.

"Is everything ok?" Robby asked. He must have picked up on something. His eyebrows were furrowed, creating a worried crease between them. I thought for a moment, before starting to nod.

"It will be. I have to go." I grabbed my wallet and left some money for Jimmy, before stepping off my bar stool. I was about to make my way out, but my eyes fell on the large crowd of people blocking my way. There were absolutely no empty spaces to make my way through. My eyes darted around, looking for a path.

I felt someone grab my hand unexpectedly. I looked down to our hands, before moving my gaze up. It was Robby. He had grabbed my hand and started pulling me, making a path for us to walk through.

We finally made it out. The cool air of the evening caused goosebumps to form across my skin, especially in contrast to the warmer temperature inside.

"I'm sorry, Robby. I can still drive you back to the LaRusso's, but I have to go home first." I felt around for my keys, before finding them and pulling them out. Luckily, I was able to find a prime spot to park earlier.

"Ok. No problem," Robby said, nodding his head understandingly as he followed me to the car.

He jogged ahead and opened my door for me. Robby made sure I was inside, before running around the car and taking the seat on the passenger's side.

Then I took off in my car towards my house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.8K 1.5K 15
𝐂𝐨𝐛𝐫𝐚 𝐊𝐚𝐢|| ❝ 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚎𝚊𝚔. ❞ (Discontinued) Robby Keene x Reader Fandom: Cobra Kai
1.5K 68 20
All her life, Taylor had only been living with her mom and aunt since her father was absent. Meeting him just a few times was clearly enough times fo...
44.8K 1.2K 34
in which a troubled girl finds herself getting mixed up between two rival dojos and an intoxicated relationship with a certain hispanic boy. { cobra...