Pokémon x Male Reader-The Sou...

Par BeanHam

Pokémon are incredible creatures. Some are terrifying, some are adorable, and others are something in between... Plus

Chapter 1-Wilderness Survival For the Short of Luck
Chapter 2-No Money?
Chapter 3-The Old Lady
Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour
Chapter 5-Thoroughly Schooled
Chapter 6-Held Hostage
Chapter 7-Force of Nature
Chapter 8-Parenting 101
Chapter 9-"Living Legend"
Chapter 10-The Ascension
Chapter 12-Brought Down to Mortal
Chapter 13-Sets of Threes
Chapter 14-Natural Disaster, Interpersonal Disaster
Chapter 15-Sand In Unfortunate Places
Chapter 16-A Poor Night's Sleep
Chapter 17-Hammer Of Judgement
Chapter 18-Cornered In the Open

Chapter 11-Surf's Up

1.2K 58 73
Par BeanHam

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, I would've given more major trainers in the XY games mega evolutions.
———————————————————————

"Welcome back everyone! I'm Gale Rivera!" A woman in a business suit clapped her hands together in greeting, signaling the beginning of the show.

"And I'm Vance White." A man chimed in. "We're bringing you live coverage of the Castelia Summit tournament! Sponsored by the Unova Battle Company!"

"That's right Vance!" Gale grinned at the camera, flashing her pearly white teeth. "Today we have something special for you all! In preparation for tonight's upcoming matches, we're going to be running through the highlights of the tournament thus far. In fact, let's start with a crowd favorite..."

The screen blinked out, before the two newscasters were replaced with the forms of "battling" Pokémon.

A Quagsire sat knee deep within a pool of water, eyes half lidded as the Pokémon lazed about. Occasionally, the water type would wave an arm across the surface of the water, sending ripples across the liquid. Even in the midst of a heated battle, Quagsire was casually splashing about, in a way not dissimilar to a child in a bathtub. The opposing Granbull's jaw had sunk comically low, it's cheeks blotted a dark and fiery pink. Even as furious growls began to escape the fairy type's throat, Quagsire continued to have a grand ol' time.

Eventually, Granbull's trainer seemed to have had enough, given how Quagsire was ripped from the water a moment later. The ground type's body hung loosely as it was suspended in midair, its head positioned between Granbull's mighty jaws.

Then the fairy type began to squeeze. A Granbull's Bite packed enough power to warp metal and shatter bone. The fairy type's jaws were more comparable to the crushing power of industrial machinery, rather than any natural organism, and yet...the water type remained entirely expressionless.

You see, at their core, Pokémon are beings forged for combat. Some delight in the sport, scorning self preservation as a tool of the weak. Conversely, others scoff at combat when it is used for anything other than a means for survival. Most Pokémon operate somewhere between these two extremes, fighting solely at the behest of their trainers, or simply engaging in combat when the mood strikes them. Regardless, virtually all Pokémon are destined to fight, whether or not they seek it out. To some of them, it comes as instinctually as breathing. Regardless of a Pokémon's ideals, the throes of battle can push wildly varying emotions to the forefront of their minds.  Anger, fear, even respect...though for some Pokémon, all these feelings take a backseat role.

To the enigma that is Quagsire, he never once perceived Granbull's attack as one of aggression. How could he, when the fairy type's brutally powerful Bite failed to even break skin. To Quagsire, Granbull's attack was nothing more than a rough show of affection.

Quagsire lifted his arms, embracing Granbull with a smile on his face. "Quag!"

It was a shame that this gesture of goodwill was entirely one-sided. Granbull's jaws tightened, the muscles in its jaws bulging as it squeezed Quagsire's skull.

"It looks like Quagsire's in a tricky situation!" The announcer's commentary followed a moment later. "How will Marlon work his way out of this one?"

The water type trainer's reaction to his Pokémon's passive behavior did not come quickly. Once Granbull finally began to tucker itself out, only then did Marlon act. "Yo, Quagsire! It's one thing to spread good vibes around, but don't let him eat you man...hit em' a Scald!" He commanded, his grin matching the gentle smile on Quagsire's face.

Upon his command, the corners of Quagsire's mouth lowered into a blank and empty stare. Quagsire never loosened his hug, and yet a stream of searing mist erupted from within Granbull's Jaws, soon enveloping the pair in a fountain of boiling hot liquid.

Quagsire was carelessly dropped as Granbull howled in pain, and the water type fell backwards into the shallow waters that coated the ground below. He did not fall particularly gracefully, he merely accepted the untimely tumble with that same dopey expression .

"What a Brutal Strike!" The announcer cried out in sympathy. "It seems Granbull won't be biting Quagsire again anytime soon!" The burns that now tainted both the inside and outside of the fairy type's body certainly agreed with that sentiment. However, the attack had done more than physically injure Granbull, it had also polluted the cowardly fairy type's mind with the seeds of fear.

"G-Granbull!" The opposing trainer cried. "D-Don't get worked up! Use Payback!" Blinking the tears out of its eyes, Granbull stared down its enemy with a deep fury it had never once known before.

"Your Granbull is killer tough, dude!" Marlon praised as a furious Granbull rushed down the prone Quagsire. The fairy type kicked up a storm of water with each stomp, a deep darkness originating from the center of its body still ever growing. "But I'm afraid we can't let up. Sludge Bomb!"

Granbull brought down a foot onto Quagsire's chest. "Graaan!" It screeched, bringing down a shadowy first rippling with darkness. "Bull-"

Granbull never got to see the result of its attack, for all it saw was an explosion of noxious acid that swallowed the center of the arena. A steaming, foul substance rained down across the battlefield, staining the thin layer of water on the ground ugly shades of purple and brown. If water was the foundation of all life, then poison was everything water was not. Rather than mix, the two conflicting substances swirled around each in a hypotonic spiral of death and life.

When the cloud of toxins faded, the winner of the exchange became even more apparent.

Granbull shivered in a combination of pain and fear, stumbling away from Quagsire in a panic. Though with  each agonizing step it took, more and more acrid toxins soaked into the Pokémon's lower legs. Eventually, the overdose of poison was simply too much to handle, and the fairy type collapsed.

Quagsire stood above the defeated Pokémon, its expression blank and lifeless. That look was reflected on the screens that sat above the arena, with beady eyes gazing listlessly at the roaring crowd below.

"And that's game!" The announcer slammed his hands onto the table. "What a conclusion!"

The screen faded, and the pair of news anchors were back once more, looking even more energetic than before.  "Well, it looked like somebody was having fun for a while there!" Vance gestured to a screen behind him, which showed a closer shot of Quagsire splashing about in the water.

Gale responded with a laugh that sounded extremely fake and gross. A more callous viewer may have described it as the uniquely awful combination of a horse's neigh and a dying engine. "Oh, indeed! Under all that absentminded charm, it seems that Quagsire is indeed a force to be reckoned with, and that honor extends to his trainer!"

Vance nodded back. "As you folks just saw, Marlon Shizui will move into the top eight, where he will face off against the fiercest competition as of yet. Speaking of, Gale! Who are the other trainers we're going to have to watch out for?"

"Well, of course we have Iris Shaga, who seems to be one of the crowd favorites to win!" Gale explained. "Her Fraxure displayed splendid mastery over Dragon Claw in her second round matchup, allotting her a very clean victory!"

"Certainly Gale!" Vance grinned in response to his compatriot. "And that's to say nothing of the curbstomp she delivered in round one. Easily the biggest upset of the tournament this far!"

"For those of you at home who haven't seen it yet, stay tuned!" Gale chirped. "What a doozy of a match it was!"

"And even if you've already watched it live, why not treat yourself once again!" Vance extended a hand to the camera. "Cause' we're bringing you all of the highlights...right now!"

A moment later, the screen was filled with the image of battling trainers. "Begin!" The announcer shouted, just as he had each and every round before.

"Kirlia! Disarming Voice!" Iris's young opponent shouted, her shaky voice betraying the worry she felt. "Don't stop for anything!"

From Kirlia's mouth came an endless current of song that was equal parts beautiful and deadly. Like a hungry serpent, the pink tinged waves bended and curved as they hunted down their target.

"Dragon Dance!" Iris shouted, excitement bleeding into her voice. And with that single command, the match was finished.

Fraxure began bouncing back and forth, swaying like a branch in the wind. Electricity crackled off of her body, the sparks growing more intense as Disarming Voice hunted down its target. The dragon type's muscles bulged, and each crease and scar was soon visible in the odd purple glow that surrounded her.

Now, Disarming Voice was absolutely incapable of missing or missing, no matter what trickery one's opponent may have attempted to pull. It could be blocked or countered, but never avoided.

Fraxture's main strategy in combat was to open with Dragon Dance, augmenting its power and speed to oppressive levels from the onset of the fight. From there, it would use that enhanced speed to dodge any and all attacks thrown at it, before landing a single brutal blow to end the match in an overwhelming display of power.

Against a dragon type that fought like Fraxure, Disarming Voice was an excellent counter. It was lacking in power, yes, but that meant nothing, as long as the fairy type attack was sustained for long enough. By the time Fraxure went for the finishing blow, it would have been dramatically weakened and slowed from the onslaught of fairy type energy, allowing Kirlia's trainer to claim the match as her own.

Or, that was what should've happened. As soon as Disarming Voice reached Fraxure, the Pokémon simply flexed her enhanced muscles, the waves of sound shattering harmlessly against the Pokémon armored skin.

Like waves breaking against rock, carefully honed strategy was put to rest in the face of overwhelming power. "Dragon Dance, what a magnificent technique." Burgh interjected. "So graceful if used properly, but also oh-so devastating..."

"I'll say!" The announcer added. "A super effective move did nothing to her. What are people feeding their Dragon types up in Opelucid?"

To the crowd, it was astonishing. To Kirlia and its trainer, well...it was their worst nightmare. "Frax." The Pokémon growled, dragging one of her legs across the ground.

While very few trainers could understand Fraxure's speech, to anybody who's ever raised a dragon, the meaning of her previous comment was clear.

"Weak." It was not a jab out of contempt. It was not an insult meant to upset Kirlia.

It was a fact.

"Fraxure." Iris chided the Pokémon, the girl's voice unusually firm and solemn. "We've gotta stay dignified, remember. Now!" Her expression hardened. "X-Scissor!"

The dragon type roared, and its stomps grew faster and faster, until the Pokémon was nothing more than a green and gray blur. Its speed was almost reminiscent of a Quick Attack from a low level Pokémon, but the move Fraxure had prepared was far more deadly.

"Reflect!" Kirlia's trainer shouted, the young woman's desperation finally overriding her shock. Instantly, a shield equal parts light and psychic barrier sat between Kirlia and its enemy.

Reflect was a move infamous for its ability to shrug off physical blows. Hell, that was the purpose of the technique. This particular instance of the move was quite well executed. Despite the suddenness of its trainers command, the wall was of exceptionally well crafted-

Kirlia's Reflect was cleaved through as if it was never there in the first place, and the Pokémon's white flesh soon followed. The fairy fell a moment later, clutching its injured torso. The poor Pokémon's mind and body alike were shattered, having been brought to heel at the hands of a brutally strong bug type attack.

Fraxure stood over its fallen enemy, its tusks still glowing an eerie green. Not even the slightest hint of excretion was visible on her face. "Frax. Fraxure." The Pokémon nodded down at her fallen opponent, breaking the silence that had befallen the stadium.

The crowd roared.

Kirlia's trainer hung her head, dejected. Iris's face morphed into a frown. The dragon type trainer opened as if her mouth to say something, but-

"A fantastic and straightforward showing of brute force, though I'd expect nothing less from a dragon specialist." Gale was back, the camera zoomed in unnaturally close to her face. "Sources say that Fraxure is Iris's weakest team member, but I'm having a little trouble believing that myself!"

"Ooooh~, I feel kind of bad for Kirlia though!" Vance crooned. "No mercy, but that seems to be the theme trainers have set for this tournament."

"Certainly, and I believe that segues perfectly into our next trainer." Gale continued. The screen behind her switched to a view of a young man with a very intense expression on his face. "While not as concise as Iris's first fight, (y/n) (l/n) has been very consistent in his first two matches."

"Indeed, while some viewers may be slightly disappointed in Meloetta's strength, there's no doubt that (y/n) has some genuine power at his fingertips." Vance chuckled. "Even now, his aura of mystique has never dwindled. I wonder what else he has in store for us!"

...

"Well, it seems like things are moving along well." You turned your attention away from the screen, sighing to yourself. Your second round matchup had been much more straightforward. The opposing Relicanth had no real counter to Meloetta's sleep inducing moves, and was promptly eroded by the might of Hyper Voice.

You then focused on two other people at your table. "Though by the looks of it...the real competition is going to be these two." Marlon and Iris: Your greatest obstacles, and currently your dining companions. Marlon had proclaimed that he was "mondo hungry" and "needed that gnarly protein". He'd somehow roped you and Iris into the whole thing, which resulted in the three of you enjoying a meal in one of the various restaurants within the battle company.

Beside the table sat a collage of Pokémon, reflecting the three trainers that had assembled for a meal together. Larvesta had dozed off at Meloetta's side, small rumbles shaking the bug type's body as Meloetta gently stroked its teammate.

Representing Iris was a Fraxure, a Dragonair, and another Fraxure (yo, I heard you like Fraxure). The three dragons were sort of cliqued out, examining the other Pokémon from a distance. One of the Fraxure was much larger than the other. Its green, scaly armor bleeded over its face like some sort of helmet, covering the bases of the bladelike tusks that jutted from its face.

You'd heard tales of the sheer majesty of Dragonair, and the member of the species before you only added to that reputation in your mind. The serpentine Pokémon let out a mellow hiss as it spun through the air. And when Dragonair's eyes met your own, you felt...almost lesser, like you were in the presence of royalty. You were quick to end the staring contest. "Might actually have to get myself a dragon type one of these days. Difficult training aside, you can't deny the cool factor they have."

Marlon had only opted to send out a single Pokémon, a young Tirtouga who'd taken to hiding under his trainer's chair. The water type had seemed genuinely interested in Larvesta at first, but had quickly retreated into his shell when the bug type had approached. Fossil Pokémon were apparently quite the rarity, which left you curious as to how Marlon had managed to acquire the water type.

"And then, I jumped off of the boat for a second time-" Marlon was regaling the two of you with a tale that involved the ocean, old people, and him going shirtless. As you'd come to realize, that last one served as the foundation for the man's lifestyle.

Iris snorted into her drink, kicking off a rather intense coughing fit for the young woman. You took the opening to shoot yet another worried glance at the television screen at the corner of the room.

"-(y/n)? (y/n)!" You felt a light tap on your shoulder, drawing you back into the conversation at hand. "What's caught your eye-oh!" Iris's eyes widened in understanding.

Currently, they were rewinding footage of Meloetta weaving through a Rock Tomb launched by that particularly durable Relicanth that you'd faced in the previous round."Ah. Nothing much." You sighed, digging your fork into the food on your plate. "I'm...just curious as to what they've been saying about us, that's all." In reality, you were also a little worried, but Marlon and Iris were smart enough to figure that part out for themselves.  "Speaking of, the both of you have had some pretty impressive matches."

"Thanks dude." Marlon grinned, leaning back into his chair. "Quagsire's actually taking a rest now. Even if he didn't show it, my man is tuckered after our little romp."

"O-Oh! Yeah!." Iris grinned at you. "Fraxure was great out there!" She flashed a thumbs up at the smaller Fraxure, who was tearing into a piece of meat with the ferociousness of a wild animal. "Anyways...Though, I hope you don't mind...(y/n), I have to ask you something."

You set down your fork, swallowing your food. "Go right ahead. I'm all ears."

"Why...why are you fighting?"

You frowned. The question wasn't what you were expecting, but it wasn't exactly hard to answer. "I mean...my reasons haven't changed from what I said in the interview. I'm just looking for experience, and the like."

"No. Uh-I mean..." Iris waved her hands in front of her. "I mean, why did you take up battling in general?"

"Dude, what she means is that it didn't look like you were enjoying yourself." Marlon interjected. "I'm not grillin' you or anything, but I'm a bit curious myself. Me and Iris are both looking to become gym leaders for one reason or another. But dude...you didn't look too enthusiastic during your battles. So (y/n), are you just chasing the high of victory, or..."

"Oh-Uh." That was what they were after. You couldn't really blame them for being curious, especially when you'd kept your motives so close to your chest. "You see-um-I'm guessing I'm looking for a sense of closure." You shrugged. "It's kind of hard to explain, without getting into personal stuff..."

"That's fair dude!" Marlon replied, the man passing chunks of lettuce to an eager Tirtouga, who's jaws clicked as it snapped up the piece of greenery.  "We've all got reasons for doing' what we do, and I've heard worse ones."

You forced a chuckle. "I'm sure. Though if we're calling each other out here." Your comment was directed at Iris, who shifted backwards under the sudden attention. "You have been sulking this entire meal. Is the food you ordered really bad or something?"

"No! It's just...I mean, you saw that first match!" The girl let out a frustrated sigh, dragging her hands through her hair. "We beat her so badly that I just can't help but feel guilty. I mean...it would've been just as disrespectful to hold back, but still..."

"Yeah, I know that feeling." You awkwardly recalled your disastrous judgment call back in that cafe. "I beat another trainer real bad back in Striaton, and she didn't seem pleased too about the whole situation."

"W-What happened then (y/n)?." Iris nervously glanced at you, pleading for an answer. "Did you-Did she...I mean..."

"Well, she swore revenge on me, or something...I dunno, never saw her again. And I probably never will, at least for a while." You spoke, cutting off Iris's stuttering. "Though, if she's willing to chase me halfway across the planet, then more power to her."

"And...that doesn't bother you?" She asked.

"I mean, I'm sure I'll get my own fair share of losses eventually." Such was inevitable, though you tried to avoid that line of thinking. Nobody went through their Journey undefeated, unless you were Leon, but he was a special case.

"Yeah dude!" Marlon had gotten up from his chair, and was now in the middle of his hourly stretching routine. "Try not to worry too much about all that. Just enjoy the fight when you can, that's what my mom always told me!"

"I'll keep that in mind...my Pokémon and I...Oh!" Iris's gaze was directed over your shoulder, focused on somebody in the doorway. "Miss Elesa, what are you doing here?"

...

"Well, there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple. Practicality is important, especially when you're traveling." Elesa grinned, leaning forward onto the table. "But there's nothing wrong with a little extra pizazz, and it can go a long way in making a trainer more recognizable!"

Apparently, the Nimbasa gym leader had been asked by Burgh to check up on the contestants, a task that she'd taken to with gusto. The Castelia Gym leader was unfortunately still preoccupied with the current attacks in the city, which were becoming more and more frequent. Hell, the city had even put out a curfew for those living in the outskirts, where the attacks seemed to be centered.

General discussion regarding each other's hobbies had eventually led back to Elesa's modeling career, which had in turn led to the current topic. She sighed, turning her attention to the nearest trainer, which just so happened to be you. "Well...what about you (y/n)? Do you have any ideas? Is there a style out there that strikes your fancy."

"Uh..." You gulped, caught entirely off guard. You weren't exactly a fashionista. Hell, even if you were, the trends from your old word didn't exactly hold up here. "I guess, I dunno, maybe something practical. Perhaps armor...or something?" Particularly for your shins went unmentioned.

"Armor?" Elesa raised an eyebrow, though she seemed quite satisfied with the answer. "Like Wikstrom? Are you a fan of his?"

"Ah, m-moreso a fan of avoiding bodily harm." You shakily replied. "Some protection could go a long way for me..." Even discounting the other day's fiasco, you've been knee deep in danger far too many times to be comfortable. "Though I guess that's going to be really expensive to make, and honestly a bit strange..."

"Well, it's certainly been done before. As a matter of fact, it's actually quite popular in Kalos!" Elesa leaned towards you, her gaze analytic and methodical. "Hmm, yeah! It could work, at least I think so. Besides, it sort of fits with the image you've made for yourself."

"I don't think it's strange!" Iris added. "I mean, isn't there a tradition where men in Alola make armor out of Kommo-o scales."

"That does sound cool and all." You replied. The scales of a Kommo-o could shrug off even artillery fire, making them an excellent defensive option, regardless of whether or not they were attached to the Pokémon. "Though don't those armor sets cost a small fortune?" You sighed. "Maybe I'll just stick to what I have now. Perhaps I'll throw on a scarf or something...that seems fashionable, right?" You shrugged.

"Well, don't stress about it too much." Elesa reassured you. "Trainers change their image all of the time...and you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so in the future..." The woman drifted off slightly, before shaking her head and turning back to your group. "Anyways...Iris, you're up!"

"Me? Umm..." Iris turned her head towards the ground, trying and failing to hide the embarrassed look on her face. Eventually, the girl seemed to give up, throwing her arms up towards the ceiling. "I...I want to dress like...I don't know...a princess. Someday." She whispered their last few words. "Something regal, yet...really pretty at the same time! That's the image I want!"

"What a nice idea." Elesa praised. "And certainly a unique one, especially among dragon type specialists, though I'm sure you can pull it off!"

"Y-Yeah." Iris nodded. "They all look so rugged and... overtly cool, I guess. I mean...there's nothing wrong with that, it's just...I want to stick out a bit more."

"I mean...I could see it working." You interjected. "As a matter of fact, I already have."

"See, you've got a fan already! Anyway...that just leaves you!" Elesa extended a hand to Marlon. "What style tickles your fancy?"

"Me?" Marlon leaned backwards, tossing the scraps of his food to Tirtouga, who eagerly snapped up the extra protein. "Shoots! I dunno, I usually just rock my trunks, you feel me? Though...sometimes I do swim in the buff."

"Of course you do. I'd be shocked otherwise." You sighed. At least he didn't pop up naked back on the boardwalk. Uncle Huey had already been a bit too trigger happy, and you weren't sure how he would've reacted with another variable thrown into the mix. Actually...you could see the headline now. "Trouble on  Castleia's Docks! Deranged Sailor Fights off Nudist with Deadly Weapon!"

"Agck!" Iris coughed into her drink. Wiping her mouth, she raised an eyebrow at Marlon. "Wish I never heard that one...What are you, some kind of closet pervert?"

"No." Marlon thumped his chest, a faraway look in his eyes. "I am merely a free man, limited only by where the ocean's currents take me. Besides, I don't do it in front of other folks."

"I guess..." Muttered Iris.

"Well..." Elesa chuckled. "That would certainly convey your personality, though perhaps a little too well. Unless you're aiming to be on the cover of a very different type of magazine, I'd stick to the trunks."

"Can do, dude!"' Marlon flashed her a thumbs up. "I'll just keep rockin what I've been rockin, you feel me."

Elesa giggled into her hand. "Go for it. Don't let me hold you back!"

"Excuse me." Your server had returned, bringing with him three black booklets that were sure to bring you a great deal of emotional anguish. "Your checks, as requested."

"Alright, what's the damage?" You sighed as you slid the bill out of its case. "As long as...Godamnit! I knew the battle company was fancy, but this place didn't even look high end." 600 Pokédollars for you and your two partners, absolutely ridiculous.

Marlon and Iris looked similarly shocked.

"A-Aw crap! The old man's totally gonna kill me."

"Yo, they're trying to limit my protein intake. Not cool dude."

And just when all seemed lost...

"I'll take care of it." Elesa smoothly handed the waiter her card. "You guys are doing Unova a service, so I owe you at least this much."

"W-Wait." You spun around to face the woman. "I mean, isn't that..."

"Miss Elesa, that's a lot of money though!" Iris added. "At least let me chip in a bit, cause my Pokémon ate so much!" The smaller Fraxure patted her stomach, letting out a burp.

"I'm cool with it." Marlon shrugged, ending the stream of half hearted protest. "Just means that I owe her back."

"Bah! I also enjoyed our little chat, so take it as a token of gratitude." The woman's tone carried with it a sense of finality. Though in all honesty, you weren't going to fight tooth and nail just to lose all the money you'd accumulated. "The prices here are ridiculous, and they're not even giving you guys a discount!"

Iris began to say something, but-

"And now...we're bringing you the matchups for the top eight trainers." Oh, this was actually important! Everybody's attention was now on the television. "Between our eight remaining competitors, we have-" The screen was currently displaying the matchups for the tournament's next round, and at the bottom...

(y/n) (l/n) vs. Marlon Shizui

"Well, I guess it had to happen at some point." You sighed.

"Yo!" You turned to Marlon, who had an eager expression on his face. "I've been looking forward to this fight. So (y/n)! No matter what happens..." He extended his fist. "No hard feelings, right?"

...

"No hard feelings, Huh?" Marlon stood at the other edge of the arena, contorting his body into positions that would've probably would've left your bones cracked and aching. "Somehow, I doubt this dude has ever had 'hard feelings' in his life."

"Well, it looks like this matchup is almost underway." The announcer's voice boomed. "Burgh. Elesa. Do you have any closing remarks?"

Burgh was the first to respond. Though no matter how much the man tried to hide it, hints of weariness crept into his commentary. "I'll say. This has been a matchup I've been looking forward to myself. (y/n)'s more focused demeanor is an interesting contrast to Marlon's easy going personality." A spark of curiosity shone from within Burgh's eyes. "No matter who wins this, I'm sure both trainers can learn something from one another."

"Indeed." Elesa added. "Despite their differences, both trainers have shown themselves to be somewhat reactionary in their battling style." The electric type gym leader hummed to herself. "After having the opportunity to speak to them personally, I'm afraid I've become a little too invested in this myself. Ah! I'm getting off topic, here's a battle I'm sure will shine brilliantly!"

"H-Have I been too reactionary? I mean, hmm..." You tapped Meloetta's Pokéball against your waist, failing to stop the trickles of sweat that rolled down your face.

Marlon was currently positioned in a squat, seemingly humming a tune to himself.

"If that's the case...Trainers!"  The announcer cried, his voice accompanied by the cheering of the crowd, the high pitched shouts wrapping the stadium in a blanket of enjoyment. "Would you like to exchange any words?"

You shook your head. "Marlon. I'm ready when you are."

"Right on dude!" Marlon stood upwards, brushing his blue hair backwards. "I've got nothing to say-Oh Yeah! Hold on a sec. I've got to get comfortable!"

"What the hell does he mean by...Wait. No." The crowd's cheering had gone silent, replaced with complete and utter bafflement.

It seemed Marlon's casual behavior had finally gone over the edge. The man had already removed the shirt he was wearing, and was currently reaching towards his waistline.

"N-No! Mr. Shizui!" The announcer sputtered. "L-Ladies and gentlemen, Marlon s-seems to be disrobing!" It was too late, Marlon had already tossed aside the pair of trunks.

And what lay underneath-

-was another pair of swimming trunks. "These are my battle trunks." Marlon explained to the stunned audience. "I wear 'em when I'm fighting at full power.

The "battle trunks" looked the exact same as the previous pair. Not to mention he'd stuck them underneath a different pair for a reason you simply couldn't comprehend. "Then why...why even bother with-Whatever!" You shook your head.

"(y/n)!" Marlon called "You heard me, the tides are going to be rougher today. So don't hold back!"

"W-Well." The announcer chuckled as he regained his composure. "That was certainly a close call. Now! Choose your Pokémon!"

"Can do! Surf's Up! Mantine!" Marlon hollered, sending a dive ball flying into the air.

"Meloetta!" You called. "Go!"

Meloetta's form touched down as Mantine's Pokéball continued to spin higher and higher. A blue flash lit up the skies above the arena, announcing the arrival of your opponent.

Meloetta looked upwards, just in time for the shadow of Marlon's ace Pokémon to fall over the psychic type's smaller form.

Mantine's official classification was that of "the kite Pokémon," and you could certainly say that said classification was fitting. Mantine soundlessly drifted overhead, his body rippling in a nonexistent breeze. Not a single thought sat behind those beady, black eyes. Though...you could've sworn his antennae twitched in response to each gentle step Meloetta took across the arena's floor.

"Battle Begin!" The announcer's cry couldn't have come sooner.

"Meloetta, Psybeam!" The command exited your throat instantly. Marlon's strength lies in the ability of he and his Pokémon to remain calm even in the most intense of situations. If you could land confusion on Mantine, that focus could be broken, and Meloetta's serene grace made that possibility a very real reality.

Teeter Dance was also an option, but you'd exposed the weakness of the move in your first round against Grumpig, a match which Marlon had certainly seen.

Speaking of the future gym leader, Marlon didn't order a dodge, instead opting to simply stand and watch as Psybeam struck Mantine's head, twisting his soft flesh into telekinetic knots.

As Meloetta's move continued to drill into Mantine, a wave of psychic energy shook the water type's body, sending spasms across his thin frame. When the dust faded, Mantine's calm smile was still in place. The Pokémon was injured, albeit only slightly. "The area is looking a little dry. Go for a Rain Dance!" It seemed that Marlon had finally decided to act, and in a big way.

"If he's going to play defensively, start chaining Echoed Voice!" You shouted in response. Meloetta's first blast of twisted music was unleashed just as dark clouds began to swirl around the top of the arena.

"Look out folks." The announcer chuckled to himself. "It seems that we're going to have an unexpected shower tonight."

*Pit-Pat* *Pit-Pat.* Raindrops began to tumble from above. They come first by the dozens, multiplying each second as the clouds continue to grow darker and more solid. As the precipitation fell, rather than sliding off the sides of the barrier harmlessly, droplets of water began to trickle downwards to the battlefield below, phasing through the energy barrier as if it wasn't even there to begin with.

The first Echoed Voice made contact with Mantine. Rather than standing his ground, Mantine allowed himself to be battered by the move. Like a leaf scattered by the wind, Mantine spun aimlessly through the air, raindrops continuing to soak his body.

Meloetta did not hold idle, your Pokémon immediately preparing a follow up attack. Though without warning, the gentle rainfall transformed into a deluge of dark liquid. The spotlights atop the stadium swung upwards to illuminate the darkness that now smothered the skies, blocking out the stars above.

The screens illuminated Mantine's falling form, and with the extra detail now visible..."He's healing! That's Water Absorb! Inga's Jellicent had the ability too!" The trumpet of noise Meloetta released a moment later almost distracted you from the sudden grin that formed on Marlon's face.

"Dod-" You yelped. "Too late!"

"Air Slash!" Marlon's command was quick, uncharacteristic, and caught you entirely off guard. The same could be said for Meloetta, who's yelp soon matched yours.

The blade of sharpened wind screeched with the fury of a thousand Fearows. Raindrops, the floor of the arena, and even the edge of Meloetta's arm were torn asunder with casual ease. Even with Meloetta's dexterous movements, it was simply not enough to avoid crippling damage. Meloetta dove backwards, the rain washing aside the blood that was now soaking its left arm. "Woah! Your speed is killer!" Marlon chuckled. "But ours ain't bad either! Agility, then Air Slash again!"

"Meloetta! Match his pace." "Keep moving with Quick Attack, and attack with Psybeam." Mantine's body glowed a brilliant purple, matching Meloetta's now white aura as the two Pokémon took to the air.

From there, the battlefield played host to a brilliant light show, with Meloetta and Mantine shooting across the battlefields at speeds completely invisible to the untrained eye. Occasional rogue Psybeams and Air Slashes bounce harmlessly off of the arena's walls, with neither Pokémon able to land a decisive blow. All the while, the water at the bottom of the arena continued to rise.

"Incredible!" The announcer shouted over the crowd's cheers. "Mantine fights almost like a fighter jet, and yet Meloetta's still managing to keep up!"

You felt a queasiness growing in your stomach as the two Pokémon raced back and forth. "This is going nowhere, and Mantine's probably almost healed up by now!" Squeezing your hands together, a makeshift plan was promptly formed. "Hyper Voice! Then lay into him with Psybeam!"

At your command. Meloetta was visible once more, with soaking wet hair hanging loosely over its face. Its torso was littered with a series of cuts, further adding to its poor condition. Fighting through the heaving breaths racked its body, Meloetta mustered up the strength to attack, and the waterlogged arena soon played host to the ferocious power of Hyper Voice.

Mantine was torn from his flight, driven in the side of the energy barrier as a result of the blast. Even with the arena's shield working to diminish the sound, the roar of Hyper Voice nearly drowned out the announcer's commentary. "Uh-Oh! Looks like Mantine is struggling! We might be in for a one sided affair!"

Rain continues to fall.

"Oh, looks like we're in trouble !" Marlon's eyes widened as Mantine was driven further and further into the shield of energy. "Mantine, Protect!"

"M-Man-Tine!" The Pokémon choked out, conjuring a flickering wall of impenetrable energy that instantly shielded his body. Even against the furious power of Hyper Voice, Mantine's Protect showed not even the slightest hint of strain, steadfast against an attack that would have otherwise overwhelmed the water type.

However, it was not enough to save Mantine, not against the following salvo of Psybeams . Protect drained too much stamina to be used for an extended period of time, and that limitation left Marlon's Pokémon completely vulnerable to the barrage of psychic energy.

Protect flickered out, and Mantine was rocked by a barrage of attacks he had little means of defending against. When the lights rescinded...Mantine's eyes were spinning now. His flight was uneven, confusion had landed, putting the Pokémon in an even more vulnerable position. "Shoots. Mantine!" Marlon spoke. "Use-"

"Meloetta, don't give them a chance! Sing!" You interrupted, unwilling to give them any footing. Mantine was especially vulnerable due to confusion, leaving Marlon little opportunity to counter the terrors of sleep. Though despite the hopeless situation...Marlon said nothing, still gazing upon Mantine with a relaxed smile.

Mantine's eyes became half-lidded as the gentle music prodded at his ears. "Why does...Why does he seem so calm?" A moment later, you had your answer.

Mantine's eyelids finally drifted backwards, and-*splash!* The Pokémon tumbled lifelessly into the waters below.

To the water.

Y'know, where his water absorb would be at its most useful. "Man! He's really out cold, Huh?" Marlon squatted down, taking a closer look at his Pokémon.

As soon as the ever deepening Liquid touched Mantine's body, all your previous progress began to be undone. "Me-Meloetta?" Meloetta wiped the sweat from its brow, staring at the regenerating opponent with clear worry in its expression.

"It appears (y/n)'s strategy has backfired." You recognized Burgh's relaxed voice entering the conversation. "A Mantine's healing factor is nothing to sneeze at, and this one seems stellar in that regard!"

"Definitely!" The announcer added. "(y/n) is going to have to act quickly if he wants to salvage this battle!"

"Lift it from the water! Then block the rain with a barrier." You shouted, and Mantine was soon wrapped in a layer of psychic energy. The whole affair had only taken mere seconds, and yet a fair bit of Hyper Voice's damage had already been undone. Ridiculous.

To your horror, even with the shield conjured, Mantine still appeared to be healing, albeit slowly. For a brief moment, you swore that a halo of blue light flickered around the dozing Pokémon, feeding particles of water into Mantine's damaged skin.

"You certainly caught me off guard there." Marlon's voice rang throughout the roaring stadium. "If it weren't for the water from earlier, I might have been done for."

Speaking of water, it seems the rain was finally beginning to slow. "The same goes to you." You returned the compliment through nervous breaths. "I didn't expect Mantine to be so durable! Now! Meloetta, start using Echoed Voice!"

Air and water alike began to ripple as an unconscious Mantine was promptly introduced to what was likely the world's worst wake up call.

Even as pain shot through his body.

Even as his eardrums began to crack under increasingly powerful attacks.

The clutches of sleep still held onto Mantine in a terrifying embrace.

When his skin began to tear, only then did Mantine begin to stir. Meloetta tilted its head back, preparing the final nail in Mantine's watery coffin.

"Hold up! Mantine, don't let em' take you out this early!" Marlon's encouragement brought with it a seemingly supernatural burst of strength to his Pokémon, and Mantine's eyes snapped open. Stretching out his wings, the Pokémon was suddenly lifted upwards by  a seemingly invisible current of air. The mighty Echoed Voice patted the waters below with immense force, scattering the liquid in a fountain of devastation. Though it meant nothing, for Mantine was long gone.

"Yeah, nothing like a little swim to get your blood pumping! Mantine!" Marlon thumped his chest.
"You know the plan!"

"Meloetta! Dodge!" Your command was almost instinctual, but it was of little use. After all, neither you nor Meloetta knew what Marlon was planning.

The water beneath Meloetta rippled, before a geyser of roaring water was sent roaring towards the exhausted Pokémon. "Me-T-" Meloetta's panicked cry was cut short as its body was completely engulfed in the mass of water.

"So that's what his plan was!" Your Pokémon tried to duck sideways, but the mass of water followed, twisting and bending as if it had a mind of its own. Meloetta tried to flee, but the current of flying water clung to its body like white on rice, muffling Meloetta's senses and exhausting its body.

"Meloetta, make a barrier!" You shouted, but Meloetta continued to aimlessly kick and trash from within the swirling current. Shit, this was bad.

As a matter of fact, it was really bad. Meloetta wouldn't be able to properly respond to your commands without its hearing, but more pressingly, the Pokémon wouldn't be able to breathe.

"It looks like Meloetta is on a serious timer now!" You could hear the announcer's heavy breathing over the intercom. The screens flashed a closer view of Meloetta, the panicked expression on the Pokémon's face even more apparent. The water type had been heavily injured, but the technique you had now identified as Aqua Ring was once again working to turn this battle into a war of attrition.

"Mantine's control of the water is as devastating as it is seamless. Though it seems that (y/n) isn't the only trainer racing against time." Elesa's commentary briefly drew your attention to Mantine, who had his face stuck up in focus. Drops of liquid rolled down his face, though whether they were sweat or water, you could not tell.

"Mantine, keep it chill." Marlon chastised his Pokémon. "No need to be so aggressive!" At his command, the turbulent current surrounding Meloetta lessened in intensity, but the prison of water was very much intact.

You felt your heartbeat hasten as Meloetta thrashed about aimlessly.

Sweat dripped down your palms as the psychic type's movements began to slow.

"C'mon. C'mon...(y/n). Do something! Anything." Telepathy would've been really useful right about now. Hell, you probably should've planned ahead for the situation.  Inga had told you that you'd pick up on certain things with experience. Is this what she was referring to? Regardless...."Meloetta!" You shouted, one last desperate attempt to aid your Pokémon.

*BOOOOOOOOM* Meloetta's liquid jail exploded into a shower of tiny droplets. The waters below were sent tumbling aside once more, tossed recklessly against the walls of the arena. Mantine didn't even have time to let out a panicked cry before he was promptly pancaked against the arena's steel flooring.

You wasted no time in capitalizing on the advantage that was briefly given to you. It was time to unveil one of your decks' more powerful cards. "Great work Meloetta! It's time for our secret weapon!"

"Nice dude!" Marlon clapped his hands together in what you assumed was excitement. "Mantine! Scald!"

"A beast of a Hyper Voice. That one was much stronger than the others! Now-" The announcer never did finish his sentence, because for the first time since the tournament had begun, he was caught off guard.

A burst of steam had rolled forward from Mantine's mouth, a precursor of what was to come. Though just as Mantine locked onto his target...

It was gone.

Mantine's Scald was blasted forward regardless, hissing and popping as the boiling jet of water passed through empty space. The water type move struck the edges of the arena, where it erupted into a violent blast of steam and scorching liquid.

"W-What is this." Bafflement turned into wonder, the announcer chuckling as his chair creaked in the background. "Meloetta seems to have disappeared! A new move...or a secret ability perhaps. Do you two have any theories?"

Spotlights illuminated the darkness beneath the remaking water, but Meloetta was nowhere to be found. From an outsider's perspective, only a single Pokémon now stood within the arena.

"I'm just as surprised." Elesa's voice was as level as always. "Perhaps Meloetta is using Phantom Force? I've seen a similar phenomenon in Shauntal's Pokémon, but I previously thought only ghost types could utilize such a technique."

"It's also possible that Meloetta managed to conceal its presence somehow, but..." The bug type leader was stumped. "That's a technique I've only seen the likes of Koga pull off!"

Two interesting guesses, but both completely incorrect. You waited patiently, allowing Meloetta a moment to recover. This would allow Marlon to potentially gain his bearings, but you didn't want to push Meloetta while it was using an unknown technique.

"Woah dude, that's not something you see everyday!" Marlon was getting pumped up. "Though, I guess I'm not seeing much of anything now either!"

That would change very soon. "Meloetta, attack!" You ordered, putting your plan into motion. Because Meloetta still had trouble remaining invisible while performing attacks, you had opted for a "hit and run" sort of strategy. Meloetta would launch either a Hyper Voice or Psybeam, become invisible once again, and then rapidly move towards a different spot in the arena. From there, the process would repeat until your opponent had been taken down successfully.

A glowing Psybeam sliced across Mantine's underbelly, sending the Pokémon spinning through the air. When the water type wheeled around to face the attacker, Meloetta was already gone.

An instant later, yet another Psybeam was sent spiraling downwards. "Mantine, Protect! Don't let em' trip you up!" Sensing the attack towards his Pokémon's blindspot, Marlon was quick to go on the defensive once more. The timing was pretty impressive, even if it was only a temporary solution for the man.

"Keep it up Meloetta!" You shouted. "Shorten the time between attacks, so he can't stop you with Protect!"

"(y/n)! You're really working us to the bone here! But if we can't see, ya, then we'll have to swamp the area!" Marlon flexed his muscles. "Mantine, give them a killer wave. Surf!"

Mantine dove towards the remaining liquid below, dragging the lower half of his body slightly beneath the surface. His dive kicked up a storm of mist from the water's surface, which trailed behind the Pokémon as he began to curve towards the sky. And as the Pokémon ascended higher and higher-

-Every last drop of the water began to trail him. More and more fluid was pulled from the air, adding to the tidal wave that threatened to engulf the arena.

"Looks like he's gonna pull all of that water to the top of the arena, and then drop it down on us." If Mantine was able to pull off the move, then Meloetta would've been engulfed in water once more, effectively ending the match. You obviously couldn't let that happen. "Meloetta!" "Quick Attack into a point-blank Hyper Voice!

"Hell yeah dude!" Marlon shouted over the roar of water, his cries adding to the cheers of the crowd, who were practicing howling in anticipation of the final clash.

The air shimmered, giving way to a glowing white bullet that ripped towards Mantine. Meloetta looked so small in front of the mighty wave that threatened to engulf it, but your Pokémon persisted nonetheless.

The Pokémon's faces were now inches away from each other. Black eyes met blue, and a mutual respect was formed.

A wave of water met a wave of sound, and the roar of the ocean was drowned out.

Mantine's attack halted its ascension, and for a second the remnants of Surf hung suspended in midair.

Then it came crashing down, its unconscious creator soon following.

"And that's the game, folks!" Applause echoed through the audience as the announcer put forth the final verdict. Mantine was out cold, and Meloetta was a complete wreck. Your Pokémon was soaked, bleeding, and barely holding on to its breath.

Meloetta Pokéball was raised into the air, and your Pokémon was treated to a much deserved rest. "Good work out there." You whispered once the Pokémon was safe in your hand. "I know that was a tough one."

You heard a sudden choking noise from your opponent, and when you turned to face him- "Is he...crying?"

Wiping the tears from his face, Marlon thumped his chest. "That was totally gnarly dude. I'm almost sad it's over!"

"Word." You grinned at the man. "But y'know, stressful as it was...I guess that wasn't so bad."

...

"Alright, so this one...was also a no-go." You frowned as you drew a thin line through the name of the cafe. Dead ends were becoming a dime a dozen, and at this point you couldn't even really be disappointed anymore,

As you fiddled with the notepad, a delicious smell wafted through the area, accompanied by the telltale hiss of frying food. "S'that all sir?" A man in a greasy apron slid the two plates across the metal counter in front of you.

"Yeah, thanks." You dropped the appropriate payment into the man's hands, before picking up the plates with your free hand. Larvesta was laying splayed out across your other arm, legs pointed towards the sky as the little bug enjoyed an afternoon nap. Soft snores occasionally exited the Pokémon's throat, accompanying the peaceful wisps of smoke that escaped from her horns with each breath.

"Me-Lo?" Meloetta turned to face you, one of its cheeks still pressed up against the stand's window, leaving smudges against the formerly pristine glass.

"It's-uh-Pizza." You handed over one of the paper plates, which was currently soaking in a fine layer of grease from the food. "It's an Italian dish. A little unhealthy, but pretty popular regardless." Casteliacones were out of season, so this had to be the next best thing. Besides, you'd be remiss if you'd skipped out on one of Castleia's main dishes. Unova was the region based on New York, after all.

"Italian?" The chef shot you a questioning look as he counted your change, offense dripping into his tone. "The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Ah-yeah..." Shit, you'd almost forgotten. "It's just...a culinary term from where I'm from." The man just shook his head, not buying your completely legitimate and not all fabricated response. Hey, what you said was completely truthful, even if he'd never understand it.

"I s'pose." The man handed back your change. "Have a nice one."

"You too." You replied, sliding the coins into the glass jar at the end of the counter as a form of minor apology.

With your lunch now obtained, you made your way to a set of benches that overlooked the edge of the water. Massive warehouses sat overlooking the bay, with Pokémon and vehicles alike acting as shuttles for goods coming into the city. Hell, you even spotted a Machamp casually strolling around with a generously sized yacht slung over one of its shoulders. The Pokémon touted the luxury vehicle with almost laughable ease, tilting and spinning the boat to prevent collision with nearby objects.

Speaking of generously sized, a beast of a Walrein was lounging on the docks, its body actually bigger than some of the nearest boats.  A plaque on a nearby monument read; "Biggie the Walrein: Shows every evening!" Creative name, but it wasn't like you'd come up with anything better for your own Pokémon.

"So, what do you think?" Meloetta shrugged as it took a few bites of the pizza's crust, neglecting the cheesy goodness at the other end. Guess your Pokémon preferred sweet foods, which was perfectly fine by you. Sweet berries were cheap in bulk, after all.

Despite the small traces of fatigue that snuck into the Pokémon's movements, it was pretty remarkable how quickly Meloetta had been able to bounce back from last night's match against Marlon. And what a doozy of a match it was. Meloetta had never quite been pushed that far, and its body was certainly not attuned to handle that level of stress without some drawbacks.

"Ah! Excuse me! Mr. (l/n)." You dropped your empty plate, looking up in surprise at the three people rapidly approaching you. A news crew, obviously. The man in front was flanked by two cameramen, who quickly took positions at the entrance to the seating area, blocking off your only means of escape.

"C-Can I help you?" You politely asked the lead reporter, already knowing the answer. Were the reporter not already obvious proof of what was going to happen, the cameras being trained on you certainly were.

"Certainly, if it's alright by you. I promise I won't keep you long." His voice was loud and boisterous. "Your match against Mr. Shizui created quite the stir last night. And now, you're being pitted against Miss Shaga in back to back matches. Do you think you'll be up for such a task?"

"W-Well, it's not like I have much of a choice anyways." You wiped your mouth, staring directly at the man. "Regardless of what happens, I'm sure it'll be an interesting fight." Truth be told, you were quite nervous. You'd only beaten Marlon by the skin of your teeth, and had already used up one of your trump cards in order to do so.

Meloetta's ability to manipulate emotions with its voice was still a secret, but honestly...given how little practice Meloetta had with it, overcoming Iris would still be one hell of a hurdle. Fraxure was a beast, and there was always the possibility that the girl was holding something else in reserve.

"Mr. (l/n). Most of our audience is very curious to learn more about your background, and information on you is scarce as best. Do you have any family members who've taken up battling in the past?" He belted out, nearly drowning out the faint shouts from the dockworkers below. "Have any of them served to inspire you? Care to tell us a bit about them?" His questions were rapid and intense, giving you very little time to think.

"Shit. Right for the jugular." Way to dig up old wounds, and god damn was his voice loud. Larvesta let out a few confused squeaks as she was jostled awake by the unfamiliar voice.

"Well...you see-um-I'd like to keep some things personal!" You blustered, running a hand along Larvesta's back to relax the confused Pokémon. "Though I will tell you that I'm the first one to take up battling in my family."

"Come now, Mr. (l/n)." The man smiled at you. "I'm sure..."

"Damn, these guys are aggressive!" You opened your mouth to tell them to leave, but-

"Hey! I know your sorry asses are down there!" "Now come and line up so I can-" Somebody was yelling from the nearby pier, and their voice...their voice was awfully familiar.

"Well, speaking of aggression." Ol' Uncle Huey was back, though this time he had two harpoon guns. One in each hand. What  he needed two for, who the hell knows. Perhaps he needed to threaten two people at the same time. "Though...I'm certainly not gonna question him. I like sharp things far away from my body, thank you very much."

As if he possessed eyes on the back of his head, the man wheeled around to meet your inquisitive gaze with a furious one. "Oi, what the hell are ye lookin' at!" He paused. "Oh, (y/n), almost didn't recognize ye there."

"That's-Uh-That's alright." You shouted back at the man. Great, now you were stuck between reporters hounding you, as well as a potentially insane man.

"Oh, it's just that guy." One of the people behind whispered.  "I heard he got arrested...something about attacking a shoplifter with a harpoon gun..." Oh, so it seemed that Uncle Huey was some sort of local figure. That was good, perhaps he could distract the news crew while you made a break for it.

"The ruddy Bastard deserved it. Who goes out to steal tomato soup anyways?" Uncle Huey spat, swinging one of his weapons over his shoulder as he approached. "Now...the hell are you harrasin' the kid for? He owe you money for something?"

The reporter coughed into his hand. "Well, you see...we're with a local news crew, and...

"Don't care...you see, I'm huntin' the sewer monster, and I don't have time for your nonsense stories." The man clenched his teeth together in frustration. "Sides, famous or not, this lad is one of my customers."

"N-Nonsense stories?" The reporter tilted his head back, looking rather offended. "You're the one babbling about urban legends. Don't you think it's a tad immature to stain the recent tragedies with your tales of nonexistent monsters." For the first time, you found yourself sort of agreeing with the reporter. Not that it mattered, for there didn't exist a pair of deafer ears to fall on, than those of Uncle Huey.

"Tch, you don't know shit." The lead reporter let out a nervous yelp as the man took another step forward. "Walrein!" The old sailor then shouted, slamming one of the harpoon guns across the pier.

"Waaaal-Reiiiiiiiin!" The Ice type howled, drumming its stomach with its flippers. The faint sound of water being displaced came from beneath the docks, before concrete and wood alike shook as a brutal surge of water was sent roaring from beneath the pier.

The waves climbed higher than the nearby buildings, before bursting into a storm of frigid rain. Drops came down in a brutal downpour, soaking anything and everything that was unfortunate enough to be in the splash zone.

The camera crew shrieked and shouted, rushing to protect the expensive equipment they'd been jamming in your face a moment ago. Meloetta dove into your side, pulling your jacket over its face to block out the rain. Larvesta squeaked as the drops rained down, the bug type dashing under a nearby bench for shelter.

Uncle Huey just laughed at the madness he'd unleashed. "Now, ye still want to stick around? Walrein ain't tuckered out yet!"

"No...it's just-Nevermind!" The reporter smartly decided to throw in his cards, rather than go up against an ornery Walrus, as well as the apparent criminal who commanded him. Wheeling around, the three swiftly disappeared into whatever hole that they'd just crawled out of.

"Uh, thanks for that." You muttered, pushing back your wet hair. Streams of leftover water tricked back into the nearby bay, the waters now turbulent and frothing. "I-Uh-didn't know you had a Walrein. That's pretty cool."

Your attempt at idle conversation seemed to work, given how the man began chuckling. "Naw, Walrein ain't mine. I wouldn't be carrying around a weapon if I still had a partner. Sides', he don't belong to nobody, we just friends." Uncle Huey reached into one of his pockets, pulling out some sort of meat. It looked disgusting, and smelled even worse.

Though Walrein didn't seem to mind, given how he eagerly lapped up the piece of mystery meat Uncle Huey threw to him. "Salted Remoraid filets." The man explained. "They're an acquired taste, but I like em'." The man held up another graying piece of seafood towards you. "Want one."

"Uh, I'll pass. Just ate, actually." You patted your stomach, giving the man a nervous smile.

"Me-Lo!" Meloetta mimicked your actions, pulling up its scarf to mask the smell.

"Suit yerself." The man shoved the seafood into his mouth, housing it down with the fervor of a starving man. You took the time to wipe down Meloetta with a cloth from your bag. A quick glance at Larvesta revealed she'd made it to safety in time, and was currently basking in what was likely the only dry spot remaining on the docks. You decided to let her have her peace, away from the man with deadly weapons.

"Hey, kid, whattaya say to some free advice?" The man wiped his mouth, swallowing his remaining food. Though without even waiting for your response, the man continued. "Now...you ever heard that old phrase? It goes like... some fights aren't worth fightin' for?"

"Uh...yes." You nodded along. "Where are you going with this?"

"That's bullshit. Pick every damn fight you can. Every battle obviously ain't winnable, but you can still learn a thing or two from an ass woopin'!" The man pounded his chest, flashing you a toothy grin. You weren't sure how to respond to that one, so you just let the man have his moment once again. "Argh!" Uncle Huey then exclaimed. "Actually...I gots a question for you though!"

"A-Alright." You set the now soaking rag you'd been using onto your lap. "Though if you're going to offer any more weird food stuffed down your pants, I'll pass on that too."

"Nah, it's nothing like that." The man leaned in uncomfortably close, every detail of his yellowing teeth now visible to you. "Have you seen any suspicious characters around? Anybody...potentially dangerous?"

You scrunched up your face at the smell emanating from the man. "Yes, he's right in front of me, and has two harpoon guns." Of course, you didn't actually say that. "I'm afraid not...I've been preoccupied, actually."

"Sonova bitch." The man cursed, before he suddenly jerked his head upwards. "Wait...I think I've got a scent!" He then began to sniff the air. "Thirty meters north...twenty feet left, a stone's throw upwards...." The man mumbled, before tightening his grip on the weapon at his side. "It was nice seeing ya (y/n), but I've got a monster to hunt!"

"Likewise." You stood up, looking towards-"Shit! Where?"

You jerked your head around, scanning the docks. "L-Larvesta!" You shouted.

"What's wrong laddie, lost yer little grub?" Uncle Huey flashed you a worried glance.

"Yeah, it's just...Larvesta!" Your voice bounced across the nearby buildings, but the Pokémon was nowhere to be seen. "N-No, she just..."

"Me-Lo. Ta!" Meloetta had already drifted above, and was scouring its surroundings for any trace of the bug type.

"Got it! You take left." Your heart pounded as you shouted commands. "I'll go right. Stay close by in case of danger!"

"Ay (y/n)-" The aged sailor shouted behind you, his voice drowned out by your footsteps pounding across the creaky docks. "I'll be searching the waters!"

You never heard the man. Not over the heartbeat in your ears, not over- "Dumbass, this is what I get for not paying proper attention!" You silently cursed. You could see Meloetta's purple aura several buildings down, the Pokémon flickering back and forth like the lights of an Illumise. "Larvesta!" Your shout brought only silence once again.

The edge of the docks were lined with empty storage units, the rusting metal structures creaking and groaning with each wave of wind that tumbled through the area. "C'mon. C'mon. She can't have gone too far." You kicked aside a pile of crates. "Larvesta!" You felt your throat grow hoarse as you shouted her name with your entire being.

*Craaaaaash* The sound of metal crashing to the ground drifted from behind a nearby building. And beneath the windfall of metallic noise-

You heard Larvesta's all too familiar squeaks.

When you dove around the edge of the building, what you saw was four figures.

Most importantly was Larvesta, unharmed and seemingly safe. Those innocent blue eyes shone in the darkness, the same childish curiously still ever present in her visage. She was up against a nearby wall, prodding at a nearby exposed pipe with one of her little wee legs.

As for the other three, They were also familiar to you. They were almost like little toy soldiers, if a partially unstable child had affixed an array of blades to their bodies. Their armor almost resembled the exoskeleton of some sort of beetle, though the layer of steel that played their bodies was likely far stronger than any meager chiton shell.

The trio of Pawniard were identical. Two stared each other down in the center of the valley, flicking their blades back and forth in a deadly sort of dance.
The last Pawniard was letting loose a series of furious hisses and growls, struggling to remove itself from a pile of trash it was half buried in.

No, scratch that. They were not identical. The yellow eyes of the Pokémon faintly glowed in the shadows. However, the Pawniard nearest to you noticeably...lacked one half of that glow. It possessed only a single eye, which burned with an emotion you couldn't place.

But the steel types mattered naught. "Larvesta!" You scooped the Pokémon into your arms. Only once you cleared it of injuries could you breathe easy again. "S-Sorry." You murmured. "I won't let that happen again."

Larvesta's only response was a playful squeak, accompanied by her rubbing her fur against your face. It felt quite warm, and the pleasing sensation almost distracted you from the potential threats you were surrounded by.

Almost. "Pawn?" A metallic thud echoed as the final Pawniard freed itself from the trash. Pale eyes burning with hunger stared back into your own.

"Ah shit." You pressed your back against the wall of a nearby building. "Did they...lure her or something? How did they do it so quickly? But why was one stuck in the trash? Did Larvesta knock them around, or were they fighting over a potential meal?" Dozens of questions raced through your mind, but no answers came.

The thought that Larvesta almost potentially met her end here terrified you. A moment of negligence almost cost you everything. You furiously gripped her Pokéball, and Larvesta was brought to her sanctuary. The sudden confusion in her eyes was the last thing you saw.

And with that...only you were left. Five eyes were now upon you, and you had nothing to properly defend yourself with. One of the two-eyed Pawniard crouched, its knifelike hands swirling with the darkness from the nearby valley. "Meloetta!" You shouted, hoping your pleas would reach the Pokémon in time.

"Paaawn!" Your arms found the edge of a nearby loose pipe. The cold steel burned your hands as you shakily raised the pipe towards your enemy. "Niard!" The dark type lunged, it's outstretched arm rippling with gales of darkness.

"Eat this, you nasty ankle biter." Gripping your impromptu bludgeon, you swung at the Pawniard with all of your might.

*clang!*

"Agh, what the hell!" You might as well have swung at a wall. The bones in your arm shook as your entire body was rattled by the impact of the strike. Your opponent looked comparatively unbothered, its armor still as pristine as ever. Despite your massive size advantage, you were clearly fighting a losing battle.

The Pawniard hissed once more, and a quick swing from its arm split your improvised weapon into two.
A quick glance behind your opponent revealed that the other two Pawniard were engaged in melee once more, neither willing to give up the advantage.

As the Pawniard in front of you raised its arms for a finishing blow, the Pokémon was lit up by a faint purple glow. A glow that originated from behind you. One you knew all too well. "Wake-Up Slap!" You hollered.

Pawniard didn't even have time or react. Meloetta's glowing palm utterly annihilated the dark type. Pawniard's back met the side of a nearby building, its helmet cracked and bleeding as a result of the fighting type attack.

The Pokémon's form slumped down, rattling against the concrete ground. "P-Pawn?" One of the other Pawniard lightly tapped its fallen comrade.

"Not so tough against somebody who can fight back Huh?" You glared at the Pokémon. "Now get lost-"

*screeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa*

Pain, horrible Pain.

Oppressive.

Earsplitting.

All encompassing.

You'd had your leg slashed open the other day, and that felt like heaven compared to this.

It was as if somebody had pressed your ear up against the words most powerful speaker, before assaulting your eardrums with a sound that could only be described as ungodly.  "Aaaaaaaaa-Garh!" You dropped into a fetal position, though that did nothing to protect you from the metallic screeching.

As soon as the sound began, it was over. At least you thought it was. Hearing did not come easily to your aching eardrums.

Meloetta shook your shoulders frantically, mouthing words that you couldn't hear. Your Pokémon had also been stunned by the attack, but its body was equipped to endure severe punishment. Yours was not, and the pounding in your skull was proof of that.

"I-I'm..." You croaked, though  just as you began to feel safe again-

-a pair of arms gripped your shoulders. "Ah! Fuck, G-Get away!" In a moment of panic, you haplessly swung at the unknown figure behind you.

Your flailing fists found something soft and fleshy. Soon- "Ow! Lad-, -on't gouge-eye-ow!" Oops, friendly fire. The old sailor had somehow managed to find you.

"T-The hell was that?" You coughed, staring up at the man. "D-did you break s-something?"

"-ish I could tell-(y/n)-Thought you set-thing off!" The man coughed into his arm, scanning the darkness.

The Pawniard were long gone. The broken pipe next to you was the only proof that they were ever there to begin with. "-Lo?"

"Huh?" You tried to stand, but your pounding headache put you on the ground once again. "The hell was all that noise? Was there an industrial accident or..."

"We-as-if you were ok? You need-a hospital?" Uncle Huey's voice was becoming clearer now, which meant that you at least weren't going deaf. See, it wasn't too bad.

"Me-Me-Ta!" Meloetta nodded furiously as it gripped your hand.

"I'm...I'm fine, I think. Just...let me sit down for a bit." You gasped, leaning against a nearby wall for support.

*click* You heard a snap, and Larvesta appeared in a flash of white light. You jerked in surprise, almost forgetting that Pokémon could release themselves at their leisure. "Wait! Why did she? Was it? Was she worried about me, perhaps?"

"Me-Lo-Me?" Meloetta brushed a hand against the Bug type's fur, inspecting for any damages. It found none, thankfully.

"Y-Yeah, she seems fine. A bit confused, most likely." You replied, scooping the Pokémon into your lap, where she happily began to nestle into your warmth.

Perhaps this was just her way of comforting you, and that was just fine by you. "That's right!" You held the bug type close to your chest. "I won't let you get hurt!"

———————————————————————

A/N: Marlon has Mantine because of Mantine Surfing, in Alola, y'know.

I'll try to switch up characters teams from their game counterparts a bit, just to keep things interesting. Though, if a character has a certain Pokémon iconic to them, I'm obviously not going to take that away.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

19.4K 1.1K 27
[Male Reader x Pokémon] The world of Pokémon. A world filled with monsters capable of mass destruction and violence. Somehow Humanity created a way t...
1.5K 44 7
Yahiko Ume is an ordinary 23-year-old college student living in Tokyo. He loves watching anime and his favorite one is Pokémon. During a casual encou...
7K 292 29
Rosa is a girl with the dream of becoming a pokestar studios actor. But will she conquer her stage fright to achieve her dream? And will being stuck...
12.5K 306 34
"You said you have a dream... That dream... Make it come true!" Y/N was raised by a legendary Pokémon named Xerneas. He granted her the power of mu...