A Melody We Were Never Suppos...

By seaskate

Having fallen asleep at his desk once more, Dazai wakes up to an empty office as everyone else is either out... More

Oh No!
Medicine
Silence
Good 4 U
My Alcoholic Friends
The Night We Met
Somewhere Only We Know
Another Love
Getaway Car
Psycho
Would've, Could've, Should've
Could You Love Me While I Hate Myself

Bonnie and Clyde

192 8 1
By seaskate

YUQI

Some lyrics changed

—-

Dazai POV

In the past two years, I have never really thought much about the boy that I left behind. I never let myself think of it because I knew that if I did I would be stuck as I was now, comparing the man before me to the partner that I left behind. 

Kunikida and Chuuya shared the same anger, loud and persistent, but while Chibi's was something of a front that he had built overtime that became an intergeral part of himself, Kunikida's was genuine. Whenever that anger would get a hold of them, Chuuya almost never laid a hand on me, and if he tried to the move was always either light enough not do real damage, or something that he knew I could dodge. There have only been a few times where he was truly trying to hurt me and even I would admit that I deserved a few of those. But violence seemed to be the blond's default setting when it came to me, and while I knew I could probably avoid most of them, I hadn't when we first met and know the dynamic was set.

But what it always comes down to in my mind is that Chuuya knows me the best.

The amount of time that I have spent with the two of them aside, it's not a question that Chuuya knows me better than anyone else. He can tell the plays that I'm trying to make and can see through the facades that I've put up as if reading a book. He knew me better when we were still just teens wandering around and stumbling through a world that we didn't understand and had no true right being in at that age. He remembers the things that I have said and there is a level a trust there that has survived even years apart from one another. 

Kunikida and I just didn't have that.

He was the last to know about my history with the Port Mafia because I didn't know how his ideals would allow him to react to the situation if there weren't pressing matter already at hand. I know that during the incident with Shinuwasa that Atsushi was the only one in the Agency that truly thought that I could be in some kind of danger instead of turncoat like Kunikida had most likely believed. And I know that will never tell him exactly who I was, what I was, in the mafia because I know that he wouldn't be able to take it. If he knew the things that I have done, he would never be able to see me as anything more than my past.

That level of trust just isn't there.

His ideals would never truly allow it to be.

In the moments that I have dropped my mask around the other man, I can always tell that to I am nothing more than a stranger then wearing his partner's skin, something dangerous that he doesn't know how to handle.

—-

3rd person/ switching POV

The four watched throughout the day as Dazai seemed to tolerate his partner's yelling and nagging less than he normally would. Though he didn't seem to be angry nor in a sour mood with the other man, to them it was almost like he was trying to suppress a part of himself that he wasn't allowed to show. The few times that he did respond to the blond man, he did so in his normal joking manner that they had all missed over the past two or so weeks, but Ranpo and even Atsushi at times could tell that he was trying to keep the bite out of his words. 

When it came time for lunch, Yosano chose to stay back once more as she was expecting today to be another form of love song as the previous day had been and she knew that the others would probably have no interest in the detective's love life, not that she really did either but Yosano at least knew that she would listen to the whole song all of the way through and not block it out like Atsushi or the President might if they got uncomfortable.

The music started not much longer after the other's had left, a hesitant voice singing out as if every that was sung was fragile and the whole thing could break at any moment.

"You pick me up when I feel down
No matter how deep in the night
I got your back when we go out
I know your always on my side"

Listening to the words, Yosano put it together rather quickly that the song was about a partner relationship, there was really nothing else that it could be to her, and luckily her jump to conclusions was right.

Dazai thought about the last two lines, he knew that they almost perfectly conveyed the relationship between him and Chuuya, well as well as any words could hope to piece together such a complex thing. He always had the other man's back, ready to step in when corruption takes a hold of him or come up with a new plan altogether if he truly didn't want to use the deadly facet of the ability as an option. 

In turn, Chuuya was always on his blind side from day one. No matter where they went, the other ability user would always fit himself at Dazai's bandaged side, even after all of their years apart, he found that the other man still had a tendency to do that and couldn't help but wonder if he even noticed that he was doing it anymore.

"You make this world a little wild
And we shout through crowded streets
Turn up the noise and make it loud
And let the world fall at our feet"

Yosano had thought for a little bit there that this particular song would be about Dazai's and Kunikida's peculiar relationship that the partners seemed to have, and while they were know for screaming through crowed streets, well Kunikida screaming at Dazai, they weren't  really in the position to have the world fall at their feet.

'So this is about someone else then,' the doctor thought, having no clue as to who it could be.

Dazai couldn't help the warm feeling that crept into his chest at the lyrics. One of the things that had immediately caught his attention about the small mafioso when they met and he was only a Sheep, was how interesting he was. Somehow, without even realizing it, Chuuya had made him want to look for a reason to live, to be in the sphere of chaos that always seemed to revolve around the two of them. Shouting at one another through crowed and playing music too loud, the only time that Dazai truly felt the like a kid in the first two years that he was with the mafia was when the other boy had been at his side. And he knew damn well that if they ever wanted to, they could make the world fall at their feet. They weren't referred to as the most devastating duo for no reason after all.

"We loved it on the other side
Where the dreams are real, do what we like
Let them point and laugh at who we are
It was you and me here, dancing from the start"

'The other side...' those were the words that stuck out to Yosano the most. The Agency's doctor immediately knew even without the past tense of the words that the deceive was taking about his time in the mafia, something that none of them knew very much about other than that he was there. She knew once more that he was taking about a partnership, but one that he left behind a long time ago. She hopped that this was just a reminiscent and not him considering going back. She didn't think that he would be able to make it out with his humanity once more if he did.

"We don't need money to feel good
'Cause you're the ride-or-die the rest of my life
Don't need a party to feel high
We were like the modern version, Bonnie and Clyde"

Dazai knew that the way that he and Chuuya had been, the dangerous front that they had created, they were the height of partnership, the most dangerous duo that you could find. Between his brain and tactical skills, and Chuuya's god-like ability, there was nothing that could  have stoped them. They got high off of adrenaline and fell for one another the way that lovers do. If anyone were to be classified as the modern version of Bonnie and Clyde, it would have been the two of them.

"You see the truth, you're in my heart
And I catch you every time
And if I'm low and fall apart
You'll bring some peace back in my mind"

 Dazai always got to Chuuya in time, it was one of the few things that he didn't think that he cloud live with if he didn't. He could still remember the first time that the other man had used curroption for the first time, the way that he had fallen back to the earth with what at the time hid looked like wings coming from his back. Back then Dazai had caught the smaller teen I'm his arms and stopped the destructive sequence that had taken over the other boy. Chuuya in turn, kept him alive until he could meet Odasaku.

Yosano wasn't sure how she felt about the whole situation that she was listening to. To her, the lasting bond that Dazai and whoever his old partner had been still seemed to have, seemed to be dangerous in nature. If he had to chose between them and the Agency, she couldn't say with to much confidence at the moment that he would chose the ADA.

"We love it on the other side
Where the dreams are real, do what we like
Let them point and laugh at who we are
It was you and me here, dancing from the start

We don't need money to feel good
'Cause you're the ride-or-die the rest of my life
Don't need a party to feel high
We're like the modern version, Bonnie and Clyde
We don't need money to feel good
'Cause you're the ride-or-die the rest of my life
Don't need a party to feel high
We're like the modern version, Bonnie and Clyde"

"Give me a three, two, one, I'll be dancing with you
Keep it going on like every day
And in a three, two, one, I'll shoot you straight to the moon
Through the sky, to the stars in your eye
They've all tried to bring us down
But we keep moving up
They wanna steal our golden crown
But all the roads will lead them back to us"

Four years apart and there they were, right back where they had been, living in the same home. The only difference at the moment was that Dazai was working for the Agency and sleeping on the couch. All of the roads really did lead back to the two of them, even when they tried to go down other paths.

"We don't need money to feel good (to feel good)
'Cause you're the ride-or-die the rest of my life
Don't need a party to feel high
We're like the modern version, Bonnie and Clyde (oh-oh-oh)
We don't need money to feel good
'Cause you're the ride-or-die the rest of my life (the rest of my life)
Don't need a party to feel high
We're like the modern version, Bonnie and Clyde"

Yosano slunk away from the office and down to the cafe below where the other three were waiting for her. They each had tea in front of them and there was a pot in the middle with a fourth cup beside it. She slipped down into the seat that had been left open for her and thought about how to phrase the things that she had just learned.

"Well?" Ranpo asked, the impaitience evident in his voice  as he was still waiting on the food to come and the tea wasn't near sweet enough to hold him over till then.

Yosano sighed and looked at the President, finding his eyes to be the easiest to meet at the moment. "I think that Dazai is involved with his old mafia partner in some way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 21 11
✧. ┊    ┆ ° ♡ • ➵ ┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐✩ ◛ ° ┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ° ┊✧. ┊    ✧ ˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ "You won't leave me alone no matter how many times I ask, right?"...
60.9K 2K 33
"𝑰𝒕𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖" In which Y/N becomes Dazai's assistant.... Never realizing the hard wo...
3.3K 109 12
(Male reader yippie!) Y/n had recently joined the Armed Detective Agency because like the others they had a special ability as well. They join this j...
43.9K 1.2K 13
[please read] You are a 21-year-old woman. Dumped by your (now) ex boyfriend, you have nowhere else to stay but your car. You work at a small café s...