Reborn as the MOST HATED Vill...

By _littlefears

You're a college student living at home and working multiple part-time jobs to make ends meet. Neglected by y... More

Chapter 1: The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 2: A Pathetic Ending
Chapter 3: Reawakening
Chapter 5: Back From the Dead
Chapter 6: Know Thy Enemy
Chapter 7: Business Proposal
Chapter 8: Semantics
Chapter 9: Give and Take
Chapter 10: Bound by Fate
Chapter 11: Declaration of War

Chapter 4: Burn the Bridge

565 19 0
By _littlefears

---

"So...Eleanor, what's been going on in the mansion while I was unconscious?" I asked before rephrasing my question.

"No actually, did anyone visit me during that time?"

"No, my lady...ah, actually the Duchess paid you a few visits over the year. I believe she was the only visitor" Eleanor replied.

Ivanna's stepmother?  

From what I remember, after Ivanna was born her mother passed away. 

Eventually, her father remarried and then her stepmother became the new Duchess. 

The stepmother wasn't mentioned much in the show but from what I can recall from the novel, she seemed like the classic stereotypical stepmother who doesn't want to be involved with her stepchildren.

But why was she visiting Ivanna so frequently? Not to mention nobody else visited her, so why did she even bother? 

Ivanna was on her deathbed anyway, did she come to speed up the process?

"Thanks for the info Eleanor...now I have a bit of a business proposal for the two of you" I eagerly stated.

"The...two of us milady?" Eleanor questioned.

"Yes, now that I've reawaken, I need people I can trust and rely on," I said with an earnest look on my face.

"Don't worry, I won't make you do anything crazy or illegal" I added after noticing Eleanor's uneasiness.

"You'll just be given simple tasks, such as gathering information and whatnot"

"Of course, you'll be heavily compensated for completing your duties"

"Although this is your decision to make, I believe your sister is at an age where she shouldn't be doing such demanding labor," I mentioned as I looked over at Anne clinging to Eleanor's skirt.

"I won't be giving you or your sister any dangerous tasks so please don't worry, I have no intention of endangering the lives of either of you"

"After I've completed my plans I'll give you and your sister enough money to live comfortably somewhere safe in the countryside" I explained.

Eleanor's eyes widened before slowly filling up with tears.

"You must keep your promise my lady, please," Eleanor said as she wiped away her tears.

"Of course, If you'd like we can write up a contract right now"

"I know I- I've done terrible things in the past, however, I'd like to turn over a new leaf"

"I want to live for myself and nobody else, and if you two could help me achieve that, I would be forever grateful"

"You don't have to believe in me but, at the very least believe in our contract"

"O-of course my lady, thank you so much," Eleanor said while bowing at a ninety-degree angle.

"Well then, let's write up the contract"

---

"Sir, Lady Ivanna has awakened,"

"Is that so...I told you not to bother me with any news about that child, didn't I?" the Duke responded.

"Yes but...something seems off sir"

"Her behavior...seems unusual"

"How different could she be? 

"People don't change so easily" the Duke chuckled.

"I'm sure she's just as wicked and egotistical as she always has been"

"Your job is simply to act as my shadow, reporting any suspicious behaviors and completing the missions I give you"

"However, what that child does is not of my concern, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir" the shadow responded.

"Send word to the head butler, we'll be having a family dinner tonight. Make sure everyone attends"

"Yes sir" the shadow replied before disappearing in the blink of an eye.

---

"Okay, now that we've settled that matter, I think it's time I assess my current situation before putting any plans into motion," I said as I scratched my head.

Right now the only people I have on my side are Eleanor and Anne but I'll need to gather more people If I'm going to survive in this cutthroat world.

I believe I'm at the point in the tv show where Ivanna was...poisoned? 

I think I remember most of what happened but then again I'm sure they breezed over most of the important details from the novel.

From what I remember, Ivanna was obsessed with the second prince. 

So much so that she began getting in the way of his plans to get his attention. 

After that, she was poisoned and ended up dying while the second prince blamed all his misdeeds on Ivanna.

Even her own family had abandoned her...I guess I can relate.

Okay, so should I start by breaking off the engagement to the second prince? It won't be easy since Ivanna practically begged her father to get the Emperor to agree.

"So Eleanor, I was unconscious for a year, right?"

"Yes, my lady, in fact, I think it's been a little over a year now"

I'll need to be careful  this time before I actually end up dead for real.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Lady Ivanna?" a man asked on the other side of the door.

"Yes, come in" I casually replied.

The head butler slowly opened the door before approaching me as I remained seated on the edge of my bed.

"The Duke has arranged a family dinner, please come to the dining hall when you're ready my lady," the butler said before bowing.

"Okay, I'll be there," I said.

As the head butler turned around to leave the room,

"Ah, what was your name again?"

I don't think they mentioned his name in the tv show, and I definitely didn't make it up to this point in the novel.

"I'm Benjamin my lady, the head butler"

"No need to remember my lady, I'm just a humble servant after all" the butler uttered.

He looks nothing like the butler from the tv show. His mere being exudes charisma yet he has a soft and gentle look. 

The head butler had grey hair greased down into a side part along with a full beard and an imperial mustache curled upwards at each end. Also accompanied by a defined facial structure and small vintage glasses.

"You've served this Dukedom since I was a child, the least I can do is remember your name"

"Until we meet again," I followed as I waved to him goodbye.

Taken aback the butler formed a subtle smile across his face before regaining his composure.

"Certainly my lady, until next time," He said as he exited the room, closing the door behind him.

"Could you help me get ready for dinner Eleanor?" I asked.

"Of course milady," Eleanor said as she flashed a smile.

---

After Eleanor helped me get dressed, Eleanor guided me to the dining hall.

Along the way, I couldn't help but admire the architecture. 

The ceiling was so high up, that I practically strained my neck trying to look at it.

How much would I need to save up to be able to afford a place like this?

In each room hung a diamond-encrusted chandelier and each hallway had some expensive sort of antique on display along the wall. 

Not to mention all the paintings covering the walls.

Suddenly I passed by a large painting that captured my attention.

Below the painting was a golden plaque that read, 

The First Duchess, Audrey Hughes.

So this was the Duchess? 

It was a self-portrait.

She had long straight black hair and deep grey eyes surrounded by soft features. 

She radiated elegance even in this painting.

I wish I could have met her.

As I continued walking I began to approach the dining hall.

Immediately I noticed unwelcoming faces in the distance.

Let's just eat some food and go back to my room, there's no need to overstay my welcome.

As I entered the dining hall I saw a long rectangular table that seated four distinguished people.

The man who I assumed to be the Duke was sitting at the opposite end of the table, he had deep black hair and a chiseled face accompanied by sharp features.

On the left of the Duke sat a woman and a boy next to her.

The woman had a small face, soft features, and luscious long black hair. 

She was the spitting image of the first Duchess. 

If that's Ivanna's stepmother then the boy next to her must be Ivanna's younger stepbrother...Oliver?

Like his mother, Oliver had soft features along with a fluffy wolf cut and round thin glasses.

And on the right of the Duke sat another man.

The only person left would be...Ivanna's older brother Julian.

He had captivating grey eyes and skin that seemed almost blurred. 

His hair was short but slightly wavy, covering his forehead.

It's a shame he was given such a handsome face when he has such a trashy personality.

Why am I getting a headache already?

"You're late," the Duke said.

"As usual" Julian snickered.

I couldn't be bothered to reply, It's no different here than it was in my past life.

Of course, the gods decided to reincarnate me into a situation similar to the one in my past life.

If I do make it to the afterlife, I'm throwing hands.

I quickly walked over to the empty seat next to Julian and dug into the food without paying them any mind. 

This is...delicious, I thought as I stuffed my face.

I've never had something so tasty before, forget the second prince.

Maybe I should marry the royal cook instead, I chuckled.

Not before long I noticed the faces that began to stare at me in disbelief.

Suddenly the Duke cleared his throat, "I hope this experience serves as a lesson to stop causing such trouble, Ivanna"

"Your mother didn't suffer bringing you into this world just so you could act up like this" the Duke added.

"Oh please, we all know she poisoned herself to catch the attention of the second prince," Julian uttered.

"Did you hear father? She was originally announced dead and then was suddenly reawoken,"

"I guess even after death she continued to cling to the second prince" Julian sneered.

I guess families will always be the same no matter how many times I'm reborn.

After putting my utensils down I sighed, "Your daughter was unconscious for what...a little over a year and that's all you have to say?"

"I expected as much from that imbecile, given past experiences," I said under my breath while looking at Julian.

"Are you talking to me..?" Julian asked with a shocked expression as I rolled my eyes.

"Do you think I'm just gonna sit here and let you all attack me to make yourselves feel better?" I uttered.

"Why is it my fault, that the Duchess died while giving birth to me?" 

"She was already weak, to begin with, and it's not like I asked you two to bring me into this world"

"IVANNA" the Duke shouted.

"So if we're going to blame anybody why don't we re-evaluate who's really at fault?"

"Honestly, I think it's time we all moved on, 'cause clearly you already did Father," I said as I looked at my stepmother and Oliver while my stepmother avoided my gaze.

"IVANNA QUINN HUGHES, THATS ENOUGH!" the Duke yelled.

"No, it's not. I don't think you guys will understand until I spell it out for you" I said as I stood up and slammed my hand down on the table.

"Why do you think I turned out this way?"

"Some family" I chuckled.

"Let's stay out of each other's way from now on" I grumbled.

"You can barely function without the allowance I give you" the Duke snickered. 

"Go ahead and cut me off then, what good is your money when you've already abandoned me?" I said in the heat of the moment.

"Next time we run into each other, we'll be considered strangers," I said as I gazed at each of their faces before walking away.

Quickly my stepmother stood up and reached her arm out in my direction.

"That little brat-" Julian said before I interrupted him.

"Ah, I almost forgot," I mentioned.

"Thanks for the dinner, send my regards to the royal cook"

"The meal was delicious," I said before making my way back to my room.

Slowly my stepmother lowered her arm before sitting back down.

"Don't worry, this is all part of her schemes again"

"She won't last longer than three days before crawling back to us begging for money," Julian said with disdain.

Well, there's no going back now.

It's better to burn the bridge early...something I should have done in my past life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8M 464K 173
Rei, a former samurai lieutenant is reincarnated into the body of an 8 year old, who happens to be the main villainess in a romance novel for foreign...
43.8K 1.7K 29
Being reborn as Adrianna Deor, the villainess of this novel, could be seen as her greatest fortune, in her life full of misfortunes. After her reinca...
2.1K 120 7
After a rookie actress Sara died in a car accident she got reincarnated into a fantasy novel. But the problem is she reincarnated as a villainess who...
6.6K 208 23
Elise is reincarnated as the typical villainess destined for downfall and despair. To ensure her survival she vows to never interact with the main he...