Unkept Promises

由 utopia_in_stories

Abhiram and Avantika Gandhi were a happily married couple. Yes, it had been an arranged marriage, but they ha... 更多

Introduction
Cast
The storm
The aftermath
Why Avantika?
Dilemma
Her vile intentions
Evil
Broken pieces
Turmoil of emotions
All, too not fine
Of all he had done
Letting it all out
Thoughts in silence
All he could do
Sliver of Hope
A step ahead?
A chance
The root of it all
Never again
Dr. Godbole's session - Part I
Dr. Godbole's session - Part II
Dev and Aaru
Indifference
Spewing hatred
Happy again
The date
Dinner and Disaster
How we would be
The reason - Part I
The reason - Part II
Immense Regret
Insecurities and Assurances
That planned attack
Tell me the truth
Mom and Dad
Down the memory lane
His decision
We will heal
Immensely vulnerable
To forgive you
Sunrise
Memories
All fine, all well, all Good
Us
Epilogue

Deciding upon

3.9K 198 8
由 utopia_in_stories

Avantika's POV

I was on my way to Vapi now to speak to a witness for pro-bono work, essentially as a part of our CSR activities. I was not to present the case in the court, but apparently considering the sensitivity of the matter at hand, I agreed to go there and speak with the victim.

(Vapi - a city in Gujarat)

Domestic violence - classic and one of the most visible forms of violence against a woman. Unfortunately, not many really come forward - some out of fear, out of trepidation and anxiety if there are kids involved, some for the sake of family, but mostly its because of 'what people will say' - the societal pressure. This one too. She did not call us, it was her kid who's passing the twelfth grade and had heard about our pro-bono activities. Brave kid, I must say. At least, that seems to be the familial support she would have against her husband.

While leaving, I could easily sense the turmoil in Abhiram's mind. Dad had dropped off Aaru in the morning. This decision to visit Vapi was quite all of a sudden. I pondered over mom's words - she had a point. The farther I stay away from Abhiram, even if its for a day or two, the more clarity I would have in coming to a decision.

Abhiram had held Aaru tightly within his arms and was looking at me with a look which I would only describe to be pure pleading. And then it had become necessary to explain all the underlying reasons for visiting Vapi. As far as the case is concerned, when I explained, he quietly put down Aaru and brought some dahi-shakkar from the kitchen. That had always been our tradition. When either of us have an important work, or some deal pending, we offer dahi-shakkar to the other person. It was only in these six months that we had deterred from this tradition. He had tried to give it to me once, but sensing the hostility on his face, I had simply walked away.

(dahi-shakkar - curd and sugar, often eaten in India before embarking on some important work, believed to be auspicious)

Out of spite or maybe for all the justified reasons, I wanted to walk away today too, but he took ahold of my wrist and I could not take my eyes off the intense anguish I saw within his eyes. I had the dahi-shakkar.

"Avi please don't go.", he still tried to reason.

"Abhiram, first thing - you know this case is really important for the firm and for the woman involved too. Secondly, we do need some alone time to get a clarity on some things.", I asserted.

"But what if you don't return?", his reply was frantic.

"I will Abhiram. My Aaru's here, how can I not return."

That seemed to have placated him a bit, I think. But that was the thing right. Where earlier, I would have had both Aaru and my Abhi to return home to, presently, I just had Aaru to return to, and Abhiram was smart enough to know that I would never not return to our kid.

When I reached there, in Vapi, the kid who had called us was there to take us to his mom.

"What's you name dear?"

"Hardik ma'am. Thank you so much for coming here", his gesture was polite and his smile too. But his eyes narrated a different tale. They were troubled, too troubled. Where ideally, he should have been studying and preparing for his future and enjoying his life as any normal teenager, he was sucked into a turmoil which no one would ever want for their loved one.

I passed him a polite smile.

"So, what are you studying?"

"Ma'am, waiting for my CLAT results.", he had a proud look on his face and rightly so.

"Arre waah. That's wonderful."

(Arre waah - wow)

"So, why law?"

"So that I could provide justice to other women like my mom and prevent a lot many others from falling prey to the monsters inside their homes.", his cold tone made me wince, but the conviction in his words was promising.

"You have a long way ahead Hardik, and I am sure you will achieve all of what you have planned for yourself."

After reaching his home, we knocked at the door.

"Baa, this is Adv. Gandhi. She will help us in the case against pappa."

(baa - Gujarati way of addressing mother)

"Why Hardik? I told you not to call anyone.", she shook her head.

"Madam, thank you for coming, but I do not need your help."

I did not blame her for saying all of those words. Either that pathetic excuse of a husband of hers had beaten the lady and forced her into a shell of fear. That seemed to be the case here considering the plethora of bruises I can see littered around her arms, the slap marks on her swollen face and her eyes full of trepidation. But, women often were much too reluctant to come ahead. A lot of fears hovering over them - fear of the marriage breaking and being a housewife, not being able to sustain without any money. Or for the sake of children. Or even if a lady is earning and seems to be rather independent, for the sake of society. A lot of factors.

"Sharda ben, be proud of Hardik and be thankful to him. He was quick to recognize that his mom needed help and contacted us. And do not be scared at all. We are here with you. You just need to be strong to take the first step.", I tried to reason with her.

(ben - addressing a sister or an elder sisterly figure in Gujarati)

"No madam, easy for you to say. How can I stand against my husband?"

"Even if he beats you this bad. And looking at the two of you, I am completely sure that this isn't the first time, nor will this be the last time."

"Madam, you don't understand. You are all city people, you earn, you are independent. What about us? Here in this place, a married woman living without her husband, they would all taint my character."

"I understand Sharda ben, but someone needs to stand up against this. See, your brave child has already done so by calling us, now you too need to be brave. Hai na? At least think of Hardik and your daughter, how painful it must be for them to see you being tortured each day."

(Hai na - Isn't it)

She now had tears running down her cheeks, but I could still feel her hesitance.

"I know its tough Sharda ben, but you see your daughter there.", I pointed at her little girl standing perched to the remotest corner of the room.

"What if one day she has to go through all of this? Or what if one day Hitesh has to go through this violence, this torture? Don't you think you should take a step now to establish in front of them that you do not condone such behaviour with yourself. Don't you think you should empower yourself to empower them, their minds? And Sharda ben, don't worry at all. We are here, with you.", I assured her firmly.

Hitesh crouched down in front of her, "Please baa."

After some convincing, she finally gave in and I was extremely gladdened.

"You know madam, its so easy for you city women. You do not have to go through these problems. You can easily step out and stand firmly and independently for yourself and your children."

I shook my head.

"No Sharda ben. That's not the case. A few days ago, the CMO of a large organization in Delhi was arrested for domestic violence against his wife. Now, his wife was working in the same office. She was what you just called a city woman. And its not just about women. Men too can be tortured by their spouses. Though domestic violence against men is generally not spoken of, thanks to the stereotypes of masculinity, that too exists. Sharda ben, problems like these might have been associated with a particular gender or particular areas since quite some time, but that's not only it. Anyone can face domestic violence. And its not just about physical violence, sometimes, people do go through mental torture too, which is as painful."

I explained steadily. Not for pointing out the lack of awareness from her side, but for explaining to her the reality which now is far too different from the earlier established perceptions.

"I understand this madam, but your husband would never do this to her. That's the truth.", she said before walking away with my assistant to complete some formalities and filling some papers.

Yes, she was right. My husband would never do this to me, but isn't that normal human decency? Not being violent with another fellow human - in fact, this doesn't even have to do with married people or people in relationships. Its just about behaving as humans with each other.

But that difference exists in our society, unfortunately. Not meaning to compare at all, but had a situation like Abhiram and I occurred in between Sharda and her husband, they would not have even batted an eyelash. Where Abhiram and I deal with the issues of trust presently, her and her husband do not have this to deal with. Sharda's issues would stem from survival itself - not getting beaten up or abused, but that doesn't mean that her problems are grave and mine are not.

Its all about the level of perceptions and understanding. Where, getting beaten up was the norm for her, I cannot even imagine Abhiram doing such a thing. That would never even arise amongst us. Where we are dealing with the trust side of our relationship, Sharda perhaps would not even think twice if her husband mistrusted her somehow. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. But that's the thing right?

We all deal with our sets of problems at our levels. Where some people like her need to be pushed to stand up against their scum of a spouse, some people need the breathing space, the mental space to think clearly to communicate and resolve issues in relationships.

Thinking of Abhiram, I am honestly still in a dilemma as to what I should exactly do. Frankly speaking, subjecting Aaru to any sort of a discomfort or a dysfunctional family, is a strict NO for me. But then again, what mom said was true. When he grows us, he shall sense the obvious tension amongst his parents and that would be much toxic for him.

Abhiram seems to be really sorry too. Not just his words, his entire demeanour screams of the regret he beholds within. As much as all of this not being able to change what had happened, I cannot help but think constantly of what I should do in this predicament now. One thing is for sure - I need to act quickly and appropriately. And honestly, I am confused if breaking apart would be more painful or holding onto would be.

I do not know how we shall be able to get past of those happenings. As much as Abhiram regrets now, getting past the coldness of those months, the hostility, his accusing eyes, those cruel words. Good god!

I can't just get my mind off those things.

I think what might be advisable for us now is me observing him. I think, I will let him make some efforts in his quest to revive our relationship or to make things right, as he says. For now, I could simply play the role of an observer, of seeing how he wants to go through things.

Other than that entire dark period of those six months, I cannot even remember one instance where he had not been an ideal partner. What I am curious to know is what made him react and behave the way he did. So irrationally, so impulsively.

"Ma'am, thank you so much. She has finally decided to lodge the complaint against him.", a smiling Hardik spoke bringing me out of my reverie.

"That's wonderful Hardik. And you are a really good kid, stand up with your baa always, hmm?"

"Ji ma'am."

(Ji - a respectful yes, here)

"Uh ma'am, here are some evidences. I have snapped a few shots of mom's bruises on those particular dates unknown to her. But this will help you in strengthening the case right?"

"That's a really good thing you did Hardik. Mail all of these to me, ok? And yes, once you secure admission in a law college, let me know for any help you need."

"That's very kind of you ma'am. Thank you again."

I smiled at the polite teenager and ruffled his hair. This boy certainly had a bright and promising future. I could sense it.

When I reached the hotel room and had some time finally to look at my phone, I saw five missed calls from Abhiram.

Goodness, was it something about Aaru? Or him? Are they both fine?

"Hello Avi, are you fine? I called you so many times. Is everything alright?", his frantic questions bombarded my ears.

"I am fine Abhiram. Is all fine with Aaru and you there?"

"Yes, it is. I just tucked him in. He too wanted to speak with you, but I told him you will be back soon. Hai na Avi?", he was trying to confirm my words.

(Hai na - isn't it?)

"Yes, I will be back tomorrow. Good night."

Not really wanting to elongate the conversation, I bade him quickly.

Whatever I had decided, I would convey to him tomorrow, also taking into consideration his viewpoint.

Tomorrow's going to bring in some massive changes - I could sense that.

And another chapter!!

Some glimpse into Avi's work.

Let me know what you think about this.

Meanwhile, don't forget to VOTE, comment and share!!

See you later :)

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

674K 32.4K 65
Everyone deserves second chances, but not for the same mistakes ofcourse. How much it sucks when you know you should let go, but you can't because so...
77.4K 2.3K 26
"You've started this game so let's play it fair and square, you've married me without my will so I'll fuck you without your will, what do you say?" H...
57.9K 2.5K 28
ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE which holds power in his name. CEO of NO.1 company Rathore corporation. cold and ruthless this is what he known in the world of...