Forged In The Fire

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Lucie and Dean have chosen to live separately while he goes on hunts and she stays home with the kids. But wh... More

Aesthetic and Images
Season Two
01. In My Time of Dying
02. Everybody Loves a Clown
03. Bloodlust
05. Simon Said
06. No Exit
07. The Usual Suspects
08. Crossroad Blues
09. Croatoan
10. Hunted
11. Playthings
12. Nightshifter
13. Houses of the Holy
14. Born Under a Bad Sign
15. Tall Tales
16. Roadkill
17. Heart

04. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

74 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

The Impala zoomed down a two-lane blacktop. Dean was driving, Sam was passenger, and Lucie, Harriet and Cadence were in back.

"Come on, Sam, I'm begging you. This is stupid," Dean said.

"Why?" Sam wondered.

"Going to visit Mom's grave? She doesn't even have a grave, there was no body left after the fire."

"She has a headstone."

"Yeah, put up by her uncle, a man we've never met. So you want to go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger?"

"Dean, that's not the point."

"Well then, enlighten me, Sam. Brighten Lucie's day."

"It's not about a body, or, or a casket. It's about her memory, okay?"

"Hmmm."

"And after Dad, it just... just feels like the right thing to do."

"It's irrational, is what it is."

"Look, man. No one asked you to come."

Lucie let out a frustrated sigh. "Dean, it might be a good idea to see your mother's grave. Sam, if he doesn't want to, don't force him."

"Why don't we swing by the Roadhouse instead?" Dean suggested. "I mean, we haven't heard anything about the demon lately, we should be hunting that son of a bitch down."

"That's a good idea, you and the girls should. Just drop me off, I'll hitch a ride, and I'll meet you three there tomorrow."

"Right. To be... stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up? No thanks."

Sam knelt before a headstone, digging in the ground with a folding knife. He pulled out a set of dog-tags from his pocket and sighed. "I think, um, I think Dad would have wanted you to have these." He buried them. "I love you, Mom."

Lucie placed a hand on Sam's shoulder and offered him a small smile.

Nearby, Dean, holding Cadence, and Harriet were standing by another gravestone, marked as "Loving Father". He walked toward a dying tree and frowned. He noticed a perfect circle of dead grass surrounding a gravestone.

Harriet crouched down, fingering dead flowers. "Daddy, it's weird, right?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah, Hattie, it's weird." He took a card from a man in a suit, then walked over to Sam and Lucie.

"Angela Mason," Dean said. "She was a student at the local college, funeral was three days ago."

"And?" Sam and Lucie asked.

"And? You two saw her grave. Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird?"

"Maybe the groundskeeper went a little agro with the pesticide," Sam guessed.

"No, I asked him, I asked him. No pesticide, no chemicals. Nobody can explain it."

"Okay, so what are you thinking?"

"I dunno. Unholy ground, maybe?"

"Un-"

"What? If something evil happened there, it could easily poison the ground. Remember the, the farm outside of Cedar Rapids?"

"Yeah, b-"

Dean cut him off. "Could be the sign of a demonic presence. Or the, the Angela girl's spirit, if it's powerful enough." Sam nodded and turned away. "Well, don't get too excited, you might pull something."

"It's just... stumbling onto a hunt? Here of all places?"

"So?"

"So? Are you sure this is about a hunt and not about something else?"

"What else would it be about?"

"You know, just forget it."

Dean eyed Sam. "You believe what you want, Sam, but I let you drag my ass, and my wife and daughters', out here, the least we could do is check this out."

"Yeah. Fine."

Lucie shrugged. "Girl's dad works in town, he's a professor at the school. I was listening."

---

They made their way to the school and knocked on the door of Dr. Mason's office.

"Dr. Mason?" Dean called.

"Yes?" Dr. Mason questioned.

Sam spoke. "I'm Sam, this is Dean, this is Harriet, this is Cadence, and this is Lucie. We were friends of Angela's, we... we wanted to offer our condolences."

"Please, come in."

They entered and he closed the door behind them. He and Lucie, with Cadence on her lap, sat and showed them a photo album. Dean was in the corner looking through an old book. Harriet was standing near her father, looking around.

"She was beautiful," Sam complimented.

"Yes, she was," Dr. Mason replied.

"This is an unusual book." Dean showed the cover of the book he had been paging through; it had carvings of Greek letters and a triangular symbol.

"It's Ancient Greek; I teach a course."

"So a car accident, that's, that's horrible," Dean said.

"Angie was only a mile away from home when uh-"

"It's gotta be hard. Losing someone like that. Sometimes it's like they're still around."

"Almost like you can sense their presence," Dean added and Sam and Lucie looked at their brother and husband, concerned. "You ever feel anything like that?"

"I do, as a matter of fact," Dr. Mason replied.

Sam was still looking at his brother. "That's perfectly normal, Dr. Mason. Especially with what you're going through."

"You know, I still phone her. And the phone's ringing before I remember that, uh... Family's everything, you know? Angie was the most important thing in my life. And now I, I'm just lost without her."

"We're very sorry," Sam and Lucie said sympathetically.

Harriet nodded. "So really sorry."

---

They made their way to the motel room that evening. Harriet immediately ran to the bed and slipped off her shoes before climbing up and jumping on it. Cadence smiled and joined her sister, who helped her up.

"I'm telling you, there's something going on here, we just haven't found it yet," Dean said. "Hattie, Cady, don't do that, please."

Sam frowned. "Dean, so far you've got a patch of dead grass and nothing."

"Well, something turned that grave into unholy ground."

"There's no reason for it to be unholy ground. Angela Mason was a nice girl who died in a car crash, that's not exactly vengeful spirit material. You heard her father."

"Yeah, well, maybe daddy doesn't know everything there is to know about his little girl."

Lucie's tone turned slightly sharper. "You know what? We never should have bothered that poor man. We shouldn't even be here anymore."

"So what, Sam, Luce? We just bail? Without even figuring out what's going on?"

"I think I know what's going on here. It's the only reason I went along with you this far," Sam said.

"What are you talking about?"

"This is about Mom's grave."

Dean scoffed. "That's nothing to do with it."

"You wouldn't step within a hundred yards of it. Look. Maybe you're imagining a hunt where there isn't one so you don't have to think about Mom. Or Dad." Dean turned to look at him. "You wanna take another swing? Go ahead, if it'll make you feel better."

"I don't need this crap." He grabbed his jacket and started for the door.

"Dean, where are you going?" Sam and Lucie asked.

"I'm going to go get a drink. Alone."

He left the room.

"Is Daddy okay?" Harriet asked.

Lucie nodded. "Daddy will be okay. Now, little ladies, I think it's time for bed."

---

The next day, Dean broke into Angela's home and poked around. He glimpsed a figure in reflection just before she saw him. It was Angela's roommate, Lindsey.

"Who the hell are you?" Lindsey demanded, turning and shutting herself in her bedroom.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on!" Dean said.

"I'm calling 911!"

"I'm Angela's cousin!"

"What?"

"Yeah, her dad sent me over to, uh, pick up her stuff, my name is Alan? Alan Stanwick?"

Lindsey opened the door. "Her dad didn't say that you were coming."

"Well, I mean," Dean held up the keys he'd snaked when he first entered, "how else would I get the keys to your place?"

They sat in the living room and Dean handed Lindsey a Kleenex. She was crying, and Dean looked slightly uncomfortable.

"So. I'm sure you got a view of Angela that none of her family got to see. Tell me, what, what was she like? I mean, what was she really like?"

"She was great," Lindsey said. "Just great. I mean, she was so..."

"Great."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

Dean handed her another tissue. "Here you go. You two must have been really close, huh?"

"We were," Lindsey replied. "But it's not just her, it's Matt."

"Who?"

"Angela's boyfriend."

"Right, Matt. What about him?"

"He killed himself last night. Cut his own throat. Who does that?"

"That's terrible."

"He was taking Angela's death pretty hard, and I guess... I mean, he'd been messed up about it for days."

"Messed up how?"

"He kept saying that he saw her everywhere."

"Well, I'm, I'm sure that normal, with everything that he was going through."

"No, he said that he saw her. As in, an acid trip or something."

"Were Angela and Matt a happy couple? I mean, is there any reason that Angela would be angry with him?"

"What? No, of course not, why do you ask?"

"Just asking. Where did Matt live?"

MOTEL ROOM

Sam was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching television. Lucie was brushing Harriet's hair, as the little girl had just had a bath. Cadence was brushing her doll's hair.

The TV announcer spoke. "Next, on the Skin channel, Casa Erotica Four. A tale of..."

Dean opened the door and Sam looked around, startled. He shut off the TV and tossed down the room.

"Hey," Sam greeted.

Dean entered slowly, glancing between the television and Sam. Lucie entered the room, followed by Harriet and Cadence, brush in hand.

"What?" Sam questioned.

"Awkward," Dean commented. "With my wife and daughters? Come on."

"Where in the hell were you?"

"Working my imaginary case."

"Yeah? And?" Sam and Lucie pressed.

"Well, you were right, I didn't find much," Dean said, picking up Cadence who ran to him, as Sam nodded sympathetically. "Yeah. Except Angela's boyfriend died last night. Slit his own throat. But, you know, that's normal. Uh, let's see, what else. Oh, he was seeing Angela everywhere before he died. But you know, I'm sure that's just me transferring my own feelings."

"Okay, we get it," Sam said. "I'm sorry, maybe there is something going on here."

"Maybe? Sam, I know how to do my job, despite what you might think."

"We should check out the guy's apartment," Lucie suggested.

"I just came from there. Pile of dead plants, just like the cemetery. Hell, dead goldfish too."

"So, unholy ground?" Sam and Lucie asked.

"Maybe. I'm still not getting that powerful angry spirit vibe from Angela." He got up and crossed the room to pick up a pink book. "I have been reading this, though."

Sam frowned. "You stole the girl's diary?"

"Yeah, Sam. And if anything, the girl's a little too nice."

"So what do you want to do?"

"Keep digging, talk to more of her friends."

"You get any names?"

"Are you kidding me? I have her bestest friend in the whole wide world." He held up the diary.

---

They made their way to Neil's house.

"I didn't realize the college employed grief counselors," Neil said.

"Oh yeah," Dean said. "Yeah, you talk, we listen. Or maybe throw in a little therapeutic collage, whatever jumpstarts the healing."

"Oh. Well, I think I'm okay. Thanks."

"Well, you heard what happened to Matt Harrison, right?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah, I did."

"Well, we just wanted to make sure you were okay. Grief can make people do crazy things."

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened to him. I am. But if Matt killed himself, it wasn't 'cause of grief."

"No? Then why?" Dean asked.

"It was guilt. Angie's death was Matt's fault and he knew it."

"How was Matt responsible?" Lucie questioned.

"Well, she really loved that guy. But the night of the accident, she walked in on him with another girl. She was really torn up, that's why she crashed the car. Um, look, I gotta get ready for work, so thanks for the concern, but... seriously, I'll be okay."

Dean turned and looked significantly at Sam and Lucie.

Dean, Sam, Lucie, holding Cadence and Harriet's hands, walked away from the house.

"Well, that vengeful spirit theory's starting to make a little more sense, I mean, hell hath no fury..." Dean trailed.

"So if Angela got her revenge on Matt, you two think it's over?" Sam wondered.

"Well, there's one way to be sure," Dean replied.

"Yeah? What's that?"

They got in the car and Dean said, "Burn the bones."

"Burn the bones? Are you high?" Dean thought about it. "Angela died last week!"

"So?"

"So, there's not gonna be bones. There's gonna be a ripe, rotting body in the coffin."

"Since when are you afraid to get dirty? Huh?"

---

That night, they made their way to the graveyard and dug at Angela's gravesite. Harriet and Cadence were asleep in the car. Dean stood on the coffin and cleared the rest of the dirt off and turned to Sam.

"Ladies first," Dean offered.

"Lucie's the girl," Sam argued.

"She's my wife. You're my brother."

Sam handed Dean his flashlight. "Hold that."

Sam opened the coffin, wincing in preparation. It was empty. They looked at each other.

---

At Neil's house, he went down to the basement to find Angela waiting for him. She was pale.

She turned and smiled at him. "I missed you."

She crossed the room and kissed him and he kissed her back.

---

The trio, still at the graveyard, were staring at Angela's empty coffin.

"They buried the body four days ago," Dean said.

"I don't get it." Sam noticed something carved into the inside of the coffin. "Look."

Lucie crouched closer. "What is that?"

"I'm not sure."

"I've seen these kind of symbols before," Dean said.

---

They made their way to Dr. Mason's office and Dean pounded on the door, agitated.

"Dean. Take it easy, okay?" Sam told his brother.

Dr. Mason opened the door. "You're Angie's friends, right?"

"Dr. Mason..."

"We need to talk," Dean said harshly.

"Come in," Dr. Mason offered.

Sam and Lucie gave a small smile. "Thanks."

They entered and Dean immediately got to business. "You teach Ancient Greek. Tell me, what are these?"

Dean showed Dr. Mason the paper on which he'd copied the symbols from the grave.

Dr. Mason frowned. "I don't understand. You said this had something to do with Angela."

"It does. Please, just humor me."

"They're part of an Ancient Greek divination ritual."

"Used for necromancy, right?"

"That's right."

"See, before we came over here, we stopped by the library and did a little homework ourselves. Apparently they used rituals like this one for communicating with the dead. Even bringing corpses back to life. Full-on zombie action."

"Yes. I mean, according to the legends. Now, what's all this about?"

Sam and Lucie, who were watching Dr. Mason's house, were having doubts. Dean pushed on.

"I think you know," Dean said.

"Dean," Sam and Lucie warned.

"Look, I get it. Okay? There are people that I would give anything to see again. But what gives you the right?"

"Dean!"

"What are you talking about?" Dr. Mason asked.

"What's dead should stay dead!" Dean shouted.

"Stop it!" Sam and Lucie yelled.

"What you brought back isn't even your daughter anymore. These things are vicious, they're violent, they're so nasty they rot the ground around them. I mean, come on, haven't you seen Pet Sematary?"

"You're insane," Professor Mason said.

"Where is she?"

"Get out of my house." He started dialing a number and Dean knocked it out of his hand.

"I know you're hiding her somewhere. Where is she?!"

"Dean!" Sam exclaimed. "Stop, that's enough! Dean, look!" He grabbed Dean's jacket and pointed to a row of plants by the window. "Beautiful, living plants." He turned to Dr. Mason. "We're leaving."

"I'm calling the police," Dr. Mason told them.

Dean pulled out of Sam's grasp and stormed for the door.

"Sir, we're sorry," Sam apologized. "We won't bother you again."

The trio left the office.

On the sidewalk outside, Dean strode down the steps and along the sidewalk, Sam and Lucie following.

"What the hell is the matter with you, Dean?" Sam asked.

"Back off," Dean warned.

"That man is innocent! He didn't deserve that!"

"Okay, so she's not here, maybe he's keeping her somewhere else."

"Stop it! That's enough, okay? Enough!"

"Sam, Lucie, I know what I'm doing."

"No, you don't. At all. Dean, I don't scare easy, but man, you're scaring the crap out of me."

"Don't be overdramatic, Sam."

Lucie met her husband's eyes. "You're lucky this turned out to be a real case. Because if it wasn't, you would have just found something else to kill."

"Wha-"

Sam continued. "You're on edge, you're erratic - except for when you're hunting, because then you're downright scary. You're tailspinning, man. And you refuse to talk about it and you won't let me or Lucie help you."

"I can take care of myself, thanks."

"No, you can't. And you know what? You're the only one who thinks you should have to. You don't have to handle this on your own, Dean, no one can."

Dean overlapped his brother. "Sam, if you bring up Dad's death one more time I swear..."

"Please, Dean, it's killing you. Please. We've already lost Dad. We've lost Mom. I've lost Jessica. And now Lucie, Hattie, Cady and I are going to lose you too?"

"We should make our escape before the cops come." Sam and Lucie frowned at him. "I hear you two, okay? Yeah, I'm being an ass. But right now, we've got a friggin' zombie running around, and we need to figure out how to kill it." Sam and Lucie laughed. "Right?"

"Our lives are weird, man, Lucie."

"You're telling us? Come on."

---

They made their way back to the motel room.

Dean paced, Sam sat on the bed with John's journal, and Lucie was sitting with Harriet and Cadence on the other bed.

"We can't just waste it with a headshot?" Dean asked.

"Dude. You've been watching way to many Romero flicks," Sam told him.

Lucie thought for a moment before saying, "You're telling us there's no lore on how to smoke 'em."

Dean went to sit by the window as Sam said, "No, Dean, Lucie, I'm telling you there's too much. I mean, there's a hundred different legends on the walking dead, but they all have different methods for killing them." He joined Dean at the table. "Some say setting them on fire, uh, one said, where is it? Right here. Feeding their hearts to wild dogs. That's my personal favorite. I mean, who knows what's real and what's myth?"

"Is there anything they all have in common?" Dean wondered.

"No. But a few said silver might work."

Lucie shrugged. "Silver's a start."

"Yeah. But now how are we going to find Angela?"

"We've got to figure out the person who brought her back," Dean said.

"Any ideas?"

Lucie took a moment to think. "Well, I think if it's not her dad, it might be that guy Neil."

"Neil?"

"Yeah."

Dean stood and crossed the room to pick up the pink diary.

"How'd you come up with that?" Sam asked.

"Well, you've got your journal, I've got mine. Lucie's smart." He opened the journal and began reading. ""Neil's a real shoulder to cry on, he so understands what I'm going through with Matt." There's more in here where that came from, it's got Unrequited Ducky Love written all over it." He glanced to Lucie, who caught his eye and smiled and he smiled back.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean he brought her back from the dead."

"Oh. I guess I forgot. Did I mention he's Professor Mason's TA? Has access to all the same books."

---

That night, they broke into Neil's house. The girls stayed in the car.

"Hello? Neil?!" Dean called. "It's your grief counselors, we've come to hug."

Dean pulled out a gun and Sam and Lucie looked at him before asking, "Silver bullets?"

"Yeah, enough to make her rattle like a change purse," Dean replied.

They started walking through the house, Dean in the lead with the gun out and Lucie in the middle, also with her gun out. They saw wilted plants by a window. They found the entrance to the basement.

Dean nodded at it. "Unless it's where he keeps his porn..."

Sam opened the door and Dean led the way down the stairs to a room.

"Sure looks like a zombie's den to me," Lucie commented.

"Yeah," Sam agreed. "An empty one. You two think Angela's going after somebody?"

Dean found a loose grate and pulled it aside - it lead out somewhere. "Nah, I think she went out to rent Beaches."

Sam looked at his brother. "Look, smart-ass, she might kill someone. We gotta find her, Dean."

"Yeah. All right, she, uh, she clipped Matt because he was cheating, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it takes two to, you know, have hardcore sex."

Sam and Lucie tilted their heads at Dean.

Dean shrugged. "I don't know, it just seemed that, uh, Angela's roommate was broken up over Matt's death. I'm talking, like, really broken up."

They rushed to Angela's house to see Angela attacking Lindsey. Dean fired his gun. Dean fired the gun, right into Angela's chest. She screamed and bolted out the window; Dean followed.

Sam ran to Lindsey. "Gotcha. I gotcha."

Dean came back through the  window and said, "Damn, that dead chick can run."

"What now?" Sam and Lucie wondered.

"I say we go have a little chat with Neil."

---

They got into the Impala. Dean drove, Lucie, Harriet and Cadence were in back, and Sam was in the passenger's seat with the journal open. Harriet and Cadence were asleep.

"So the silver bullets, they did something, right?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah, something, but not enough," Dean replied. "What else you got?"

"Um, okay, besides silver we have nailing the undead chick back into their grave beds. It's mentioned a few times. It's probably where the whole vampire staking lore comes from."

"Their grave beds?"

"Yeah."

"Are you serious? and how the hell are we going to get Angela back to the cemetery?"

---

They reached Neil's house and found him sitting in the dark, nervous.

"What are you guys doing here?" Neil asked.

"You know, I've heard of people doing some pretty desperate things to get laid, but you - you take the cake," Dean said.

"Okay. Who are you guys?"

"You might want to ask Angela that question," Lucie said.

"What?"

"We know what you did," Sam told him. "The ritual? Everything."

"You're crazy."

"Your girlfriend's past her expiration date and we're crazy?" Dean replied. "When someone's gone, they should stay gone. You don't mess with that kind of stuff."

"Angela killed Matt. She tried to kill Lindsey," Sam explained.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Neil said.

Lucie stalked to the other side of the desk and pinned him to the wall with her arm. "Hey! No more crap, Neil. All this blood is on your hands. Now. Me and those two guys can make this right, but you've gotta tell us where she is. Tell us!"

"My house. She's at my house."

Lucie let him go and noticed several potted dead plants by the window.

Dean looked at Neil. "You sure about that?"

Neil nodded and looked around nervously.

Dean looked past him to see a closet and raised his voice slightly. "Listen. It doesn't really matter where she is. There's only one way to stop her. We've got to perform another ritual over her grave, to reverse the one that you did. We're going to need some black room, some scar weed, some candles... It's very complicated, but it'll get the job done. She'll be dead again in a couple hours. I think you should come with us." He emphasized his suggestion. "I'm serious, Neil. Leave with us. Right now."

"No. No."

Dean leaned in, lowering his voice again. "Listen to me. Get out of here as soon as you can. But most of all, be cool. No sudden movements. Don't make her mad." He glanced to his brother and wife. "Let's go."

---

Swallowing hard, Neil went to the closet and opened it. Angela was there.

"You said you'd stay in the house," Neil said.

"Sorry," Angela apologized. "I just needed to see you. Neil, please. You have to help me." She lowered her arms to show the stab and bullet wounds.

He cringed. "Oh, God."

"Come with me to the cemetery. Neil, they're trying to kill me. We have to stop them."

"You mean kill them." She nodded. "It's true. Matt and Lindsey."

"They hurt me! If you love me you'll make sure nobody hurts me again. Take me to the cemetery. And then all this will be over. We can start new lives, together."

Neil nodded. "Okay. God help me, but okay. I'll go get the car. Just, just wait here."

He left and went to the parking lot.

EXT. PARKING LOT - NIGHT

At his car, Neil was panting. He dropped the keys when he tried to open the car. As he stood, Angela was there.

"Neil, you look nervous," Angela said.

Neil trembled as he replied, "No, I'm, I'm fine."

"Were you going to leave me?"

"No, of course not."

"You were, weren't you?! How could you? Neil, I loved you!"

"Angela-"

She grabbed his head and wrenched it; with a crunch, his neck broke and he fell to the ground dead.

GRAVEYARD

Dean, Sam and Lucie were lighting candles around Angela's grave. Harriet and Cadence were still asleep in the car.

"You really think this is going to work?" Sam asked.

"No, not really," Dean admitted. "But it was the only thing I could come up with."

They heard a noise and nodded to each other. Sam stood and pulled a gun from the small of his back. He stalked in the direction of the sound. He froze a distance away, hearing something behind him. He turned and pointed the gun at Angela.

"Wait!" Angela cried. "It's not what you think. I didn't ask to be brought back But it's still me. I'm still a person. Please."

Sam fired the gun and hit her square in the forehead. She screamed and her head snapped back. He bolted toward the grave. She tackled him and he landed hard on the ground; she twisted his head back. Dean and Lucie fired at her, startling her back to standing. They shot her several more times until she fell back into the open grace, landing in the empty coffin. Dean grabbed a long, metal stake and ran to the grave, sliding the last length on his knees and dove into the coffin. He buried the stake in her chest, pinning her in. She screamed and went limp.

Dean pulled back, panting. "What's dead should stay dead."

Morning rolled around and the trio patted the dirt over the grave.

"Rest in peace," Sam said.

"Yeah," Dean agreed. "For good this time, okay?"

"Or we'll have to come back," Lucie added.

They turned away and headed for the car. Sam grunted as he lifted the shovel over one shoulder.

"You know, that whole fake ritual think, luring Angela into the cemetery? Pretty sharp," Sam complimented.

"Thanks," Dean replied.

"But did we have to use me as bait?"

"Lucie and I figured you were more her type. You know, she had pretty crappy taste in guys."

"I think she broke my hand."

Lucie chuckled softly. "We'll get it looked at later."

Dean turned back to Mary's grave. Lucie placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"You want to stay for awhile?" Sam asked.

"No," Dean replied.

They dropped their things in the trunk and got in. Dean was in the driver's side. They pulled out of town and drove along the highway.

As they drove, Dean scowled and Lucie looked at him worriedly. Sam looked at his brother, concerned. Dean pulled the car across the road to stop in the opposite shoulder. He got out and sat on the hood. Sam and Lucie followed.

"Dean, what is it?" Sam and Lucie asked.

"I'm sorry," Dean apologized.

"You - for what?"

"The way I've been acting."

Sam and Lucie crossed to sit on the hood, close to Dean, but not touching. Harriet got out and stood by her mother.

"And for Dad," Dean said. "He was your dad, too. It's my fault that he's gone."

"What are you talking about?" Sam questioned.

"I know you've both been thinking it - and so have I. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Back at the hospital, I made a full recovery. It was a miracle. And five minutes later Dad is dead and the Colt's gone."

"Dean," Sam and Lucie said.

"You two can't tell me there's not a connection there. I don't know how the demon was involved. I don't know how the whole thing went down exactly. But Dad, Hattie and Cady's grandfather, is dead because of me. And that much I do know."

"We don't know that," Sam replied. "Not for sure."

"Sam." He started crying. "You, Lucie, Hattie, Cady and Dad... you're the most important people in my life. And now... I never should have come back, Sam. It wasn't natural. And now look what's come of it. I was dead. And I should have stayed dead. You wanted to know how I was feeling despite how well I hid it. Well, that's it."

Sam nodded and he continued. "So tell me. What could you or Lucie possibly say to make that all right?"

Sam, Lucie and Dean were leaning against the hood, still not quite touching. Harriet hugged her father's legs and Lucie took her husband's hand, giving it a light squeeze.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 309 86
Francesca, Frankie, Daniela Rivera was always a go-it-alone type of girl. But when two hunters find their way to a bar and take on the case of a myst...
1.8K 74 24
"Find Ella McKinney." That's all his father had said. And Dean Winchester had no idea where to start. But when she shows up at a mutual hunter's hous...
8.1K 177 52
Sam and Jess's college life was seemingly good. A loving relationship, a great apartment, a beautiful little girl. But Sam's past comes back with fo...
12.6K 458 107
Everything Zach knew changed when he was just a toddler. Life became a lot scarier, and a lot harder. Now he and his brothers are on a quest to find...