The Dragon's Wildfire

By inkandanalysis

Join the world of Daemon Targaryen, a nobleman who rescues the young Elaena despite her not being his own fle... More

Author's Note
The Dragon's Wildfire
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue
From Me To You

Chapter 20

584 20 8
By inkandanalysis

The Dragonpit was a swirling frenzy of people, their excited murmurs filling the air. Elaena stood resolutely by Helaena's side, the princess seeking solace in the comforting touch of Elaena's arm amidst the bustling crowd.

"People of King's Landing, today is the saddest of days." Otto's voice boomed, commanding the attention of the assembly, "Our beloved king, Viserys the Peaceful, is dead."

Whispers rippled through the crowd, but Elaena remained unfazed, her gaze fixed on the sea of faces before her. Aemond cast occasional glances in her direction, intrigued by her composed demeanor.

"But it is also the most joyous of days. For as his spirit left us, he whispered his final wish that his firstborn son, Aegon, should succeed him, and Elaena shall be his queen."

The crowd erupted into applause, their collective gaze turning towards Elaena. Helaena's grip on Elaena's arm tightened, her concern palpable.

With the sound of trumpets filling the air, the royal guards formed a path as Aegon made his grand entrance. Elaena's eyes followed his measured steps as he approached them.

"It is your great good fortune and privilege to be here to witness this. A new day for our city. A new day for our realm. A new king to lead us." Otto declared, his voice resonating with conviction.

Elaena found herself growing increasingly irritated by Otto's presence, his voice grating on her nerves. Aegon ascended the platform, standing before Alicent. She planted a kiss on her son's forehead before being guided by his mother toward the priest, where he knelt.

"May the Warrior give him courage. May the Smith lend strength to his sword and shield. May the Father defend him in his need. May the Crone lift her shining lamp and light his way to wisdom." the priest intoned, wiping Aegon's forehead with a blessed liquor.

Ser Criston received the crown, approaching Aegon, "The crown of the Conqueror, passed down through generations." he proclaimed, carefully placing the crown upon Aegon's head, "Let the Seven bear witness, Aegon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne."

With the priest's offered hand, Aegon rose to his feet, accepting the gesture.

"All hail His Grace, Aegon, Second of His Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm." the priest yelled as the bell tolled.

One by one, everyone bowed as Aegon glanced at them. For a fleeting moment, Elaena and Aegon's eyes met, her eyebrows raising in defiance as she chose not to bow. Aegon, in turn, averted his gaze and faced the crowd. The crowd bowed in unison as Aegon's gaze swept across them.

"Aegon the King!" the priest declared.

Elaena rolled her eyes as the crowd erupted into cheers, their voices resounding with fervour.

"Aegon the King!"

"Long live Aegon!"

Aegon unsheathed his sword, thrusting it skyward, and the cheers swelled to an even greater crescendo. Eventually, the crowd settled, their enthusiasm abating.

"A king is incomplete without his queen." Otto proclaimed, his gaze shifting to Elaena with such disdain, "Today marks yet another joyous occasion."

Alicent glanced at Elaena, nodding in acknowledgment. Elaena bit her lip as Aegon stepped aside. Exhaling a deep breath, Elaena walked towards the centre, feeling the weight of everyone's eyes upon her.

Otto was glaring at her as he approached her, placing a firm hand on her shoulder, his grip tightening as he forced her to kneel. Fire blazed in Elaena's eyes as she locked her gaze with Otto's, her hatred for him unmistakable. The priest mirrored the action, performing the same ritual. This time, it was Alicent who stepped forward to place the crown on Elaena's head.

As the crown neared her, a deafening crash shattered the air. Dust and debris billowed around them, ensuing chaos as people screamed and scattered. The screeches and roars of a dragon pierced the tumult. Elaena, dragging Helaena behind her, and Aemond standing protectively in front of them.

Meleys, with Rhaenys on her back, emerged from the chaos. Their eyes met briefly, and Elaena subtly nodded. The guards strained to close the gates as Meleys took a menacing step towards Aegon. Alicent swiftly moved to shield her son.

Rhaenys' unwavering gaze lingered on them, her expression unreadable. Meleys unleashed a thunderous roar, and moments later, another dragon arrived—a silvery creature folded its wings, landing beside Meleys.

Elaena smirked and whispered to Helaena, "Come with me. The children are safe, they're already on their way to Dragonstone." Helaena nodded in agreement.

Drawing her dagger, Elaena urged Helaena forward.

"Get Helaena." Alicent commanded.

Elaena pointed her dagger at Ser Criston, her voice dripping with menace, "Make one false move, and I will pierce this through you." she threatened.

"You cannot take my daughter from me." Alicent pleaded.

"You forfeited the right to be a mother long ago, Alicent." Elaena declared.

Silverwing let out a threatening screech as Elaena approached her, a stark warning to anyone daring to harm Elaena. Carefully assisting Helaena, Elaena mounted Silverwing, preparing to take flight.

"Sōvēs." Elaena commanded, giving them a chilling smile.

Meleys departed first, and as Silverwing let out a final roar, she joined Dreamfyre, who had been circling above the Dragonpit, awaiting their arrival.

Meleys, Dreamfyre, and Silverwing touched down on the shores of Dragonstone, their powerful wings beating against the sea breeze. Rhaenys, Elaena, and Helaena disembarked from their dragon mounts and made their way towards the castle.

As they entered the castle, the guards announced their arrival, and Rhaenys took the lead, guiding Elaena and Helaena through the familiar halls. The air inside was cool and heavy, and the atmosphere was sombre as they walked in silence.

Soon, Daemon caught sight of Elaena and swiftly closed the distance, his eyes filled with a mixture of relief and concern. Without hesitation, he enveloped Elaena in a warm embrace, his arms providing solace and strength in that moment.

"My wildfire." Daemon murmured, his voice filled with love and worry.

Elaena clung to him, finding comfort in his presence. She felt a mixture of emotions surging through her, from the grief of losing Viserys to the weight of the battles that lay ahead.

Rhaenys, standing nearby, watched the reunion with a mixture of sadness and understanding. The bond between Daemon and Elaena was truly unbreakable.

"Princess Rhaenys, might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?" Rhaenyra asked.

"Viserys is dead." Rhaenys stated, her voice tinged with sorrow.

Rhaenyra, her hand resting protectively on her belly, felt a pang of pain. She had lost her father, and the weight of her responsibility as the true heir to the throne grew heavier.

Elaena lifted her head, her gaze meeting Daemon's as they sought solace and strength in each other's eyes. The news of Viserys' death hit them both hard, deepening the resolve in their hearts.

"I grieve this loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father... possessed a kind heart." Rhaenys added as she approached Rhaenyra, "There is more. Aegon has been crowned as his successor. And he planned to make Elaena his queen, if I was late to arrive."

Rhaenyra groaned, clutching her belly, "They crowned him?" she questioned.

"How did Viserys die?" Daemon's voice was filled with a mix of sadness and suspicion, his protective instincts surging forward.

Elaena's voice trembled slightly as she spoke, "I was with Helaena when Alicent delivered the news, father."

Daemon's eyes softened as a tear trickled down Elaena's cheeks, gently wiping it with his thumb.

"How long ago?" Rhaenyra asked, pain in her voice.

"A day past, perhaps two. I was made a prisoner in my quarters while the Queen made her preparations." Rhaenys replied.

"I, too, was made a prisoner." Elaena commented.

Daemon's eyes hardened as he turned to Rhaenys, "Viserys has been slain," he stated firmly, his voice laced with a mix of sadness and fury.

Tears welled up in Rhaenyra's eyes, and her voice choked with emotion as she confirmed, "Alicent demanded you declare for Aegon."

"She did. I refused her." Rhaenya answered.

"And yet you are alive." Daemon muttered with Elaena still in his arms, refusing to let her go.

"The High Septon crowned Aegon in the Dragonpit. I witnessed it myself just before I fled on Meleys." Rhaenys informed them.

Elaena glanced at Rhaenyra as she kept grunting in pain.

"They crowned him before the masses." Rhaenyra stated.

"So that the masses would see him as their rightful king." Rhaenys added.

"That whοre of a Queen murdered my brother and stole his throne. And you could have burned them all for it." Daemon mumbled.

Elaena's hand on Daemon's shoulder served as a calming presence, grounding him in that moment of turmoil.

"Escaping King's Landing was our first priority, father. We had to ensure our survival and bring you this news as soon as possible." Elaena explained, her voice resolute.

Daemon exhaled a heavy sigh, nodding in acknowledgment. Leaning his forehead against Elaena's.

"A war is like to be fought over this treachery, to be sure." Rhaenys spoke with a quiet resolve.

Daemon hummed as he stared at Rhaenys.

"But that war is not mine to begin. I only rushed this warning to you out of loyalty to my husband and to my house. The Greens are coming for you, Rhaenyra. And for your children. You should leave Dragonstone at once." Rhaenys said and left.

Rhaenyra grunted, breathing heavily, as she reached underneath her dress, only to be greeted with blood on her hands.

"The babe is coming." Rhaenyra mumbled.

Elaena took charge, guiding Rhaenyra to her chambers with Helaena's assistance. The servants and maester quickly attended to her needs as the labour progressed, and the room filled with tension and anticipation. Elaena ordered Helaena to go to her room first, to which the younger agreed.

"Her term is far from complete." the maester whispered to a servant.

Rhaenyra, upon hearing this, approached them and stated, "It is fucking happening." she grunted in pain.

"It's okay, Nyra. Let's breathe together." Elaena offered, instantly calming Rhaenyra as she hummed in pain.

As the servants begin to surround her, "Keep your distance you're suffocating her." Elaena ordered to which they oblige immediately.

"Ow, ow, ow." Rhaenyra grunted, breathing heavily.

Rhaenyra began wailing in pain as Elaena held her hand, giving her the support she needed at the very moment.

Amidst the commotion, Jace and Luke, entered the room. Elaena offered them a tight smile, silently conveying her support and strength.

"They're here, Nyra." Elaena whispered.

Facing towards them, Rhaenyra stated, "Your grandsire, King Viserys, has passed. The Greens have repudiated the succession and claimed the Iron Throne. Aegon has been crowned king."

"What is to be done about it?" Jace asked.

"Nothing yet." Rhaenyra replied.

"And where is Daemon?" Jace asked once more.

Before Rhaenyra could answer, Elaena spoke, "Planning for any possible attacks from The Greens." she replied.

"Leave Daemon with me." Jace said, and he was about to leave when Rhaenyra called him, stopping in his tracks.

"Whatever claim remains to me, you are now its heir. Naught is to be done but by my command." Rhaenyra declared.

Elaena stood frozen, her heart breaking, as Rhaenyra gave birth to Visenya. But the silence that followed gripped the room, drowning them in sorrow. The babe had not survived, leaving a void of grief and despair. Tears streamed down Rhaenyra's cheeks as she tenderly held Visenya in her arms. Daemon entered the room, his eyes meeting Elaena's in shared sorrow and loss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 8.3K 117
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧| ❝ 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬; 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐞𝐭❞ In whi...
8.5K 207 15
Sienna Targaryen was born in 81 AC five minutes before Daemon Targaryen. Everyone had expected her to be like Daemon but as she grew up it became inc...
45.4K 1.3K 35
"Blood of the Old runs thick... the winds of change will stir..." Why the Doom of Valyria occurred had been a mystery to all across Essos and Westero...
42.4K 1.3K 52
"And everything's easier way out west Wholly mad and half undressed I love the way it always feels to miss you I tell all my friends every thing you...