The Dragon's Wildfire

inkandanalysis tarafından

Join the world of Daemon Targaryen, a nobleman who rescues the young Elaena despite her not being his own fle... Daha Fazla

Author's Note
The Dragon's Wildfire
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue
From Me To You

Chapter 19

601 16 1
inkandanalysis tarafından

It was already morning as Maelor nestled in Elaena's lap, his small hands playfully tugging at her hair. Helaena sat nearby, her nimble fingers deftly embroidering, while the twins played with a servant.

Elaena chose to stay a day before coming back to Dragonstone. Arden, never far from Elaena's side, sat on a neighbouring couch.

"It seems our fate is to forever desire what is bestowed upon others." Helaena remarked, her voice tinged with a sense of melancholy, "When one possesses something, the other seeks to take it away."

Elaena nodded, her eyes filled with understanding as she attentively listened to Helaena. They were happily chatting with each other, exchanging light banters, and smiles, when the queen and the hand burst into the room, capturing everyone's attention.

"Where is Aegon?" Alicent asked, her breath heavy with urgency.

"Not here." Helaena replied, her voice steady.

"He's not in his rooms." Otto added.

Helaena lowered her head, her focus returning to her embroidery, while Elaena kept her gaze fixed on Otto. "Then perhaps you should start searching the brothels." she quipped, rolling her eyes playfully, and sharing a smile with Maelor, who had placed his tiny hand on her cheek.

A flash of annoyance crossed Otto's face as he left the room, ignoring Alicent's calls.

Alicent exchanged a knowing look with the servant, who quickly understood and gently guided the children away. As Elaena prepared to leave, Alicent seized her arm and pulled her back to sit. Arden excused himself and stood outside Helaena's chamber.

"What's happened?" Helaena inquired, her concern evident.

Drawing closer to Elaena, their shoulders touching, Elaena gently patted Helaena's legs, assuring her that she was right beside her.

"Your father..." Alicent trailed off, her voice hesitant.

Helaena placed her hand on top of Elaena's, her grip tightening as she urged Alicent to continue, "There is a beast beneath the boards." Helaena whispered.

"Oh, my dearest love." Alicent murmured, attempting to embrace Helaena, only to be met with resistance as Helaena recoiled from her touch.

Helaena remained silent as footsteps approached, and Aemond entered the room. His gaze briefly flickered towards his mother before settling on Elaena. The intensity of their gaze held a weight of unspoken emotions.

Elaena averted her eyes, focusing on Alicent, "What has happened to Viserys?" she asked, her voice trembling.

A single tear slipped down Elaena's cheek as Alicent delivered the devastating news. Without hesitation, Helaena pulled Elaena into a tight embrace, enveloping her in warmth and comfort. Elaena swallowed the lump in her throat, her heart heavy with grief.

Alicent covered her mouth, her eyes never leaving Elaena's tear-stained face. It was the first time she witnessed such raw emotion from Elaena, knowing the depth of her love and care for Viserys, despite her verbal disdain for him. She knew the pain Elaena carried, for it mirrored her own.

"Where is he?" Elaena whispered, her voice choked with sorrow.

"They are preparing his body." Alicent answered, her own voice laced with sorrow.

Biting her lips as she nodded her head, Helaena excused herself, as the twins were looking for their mother.

Elaena wiped away her tears, composing herself as Ser Criston entered the room. His gaze immediately locked onto Elaena, and concern etched across his face upon noticing her swollen eyes. Aemond narrowed his eye, taking note of the scene unfolding before him.

"Prince Aegon's not to be found within the castle walls, Your Grace. Your father has sent Ser Erryk into the city to find him." Ser Criston informed Alicent.

"Ser Erryk knows Aegon. He has the advantage." Alicent mumbled, taking a deep breath.

A puzzled expression formed on Elaena's face as she questioned their decision to search for Aegon instead of summoning Rhaenyra back to the Keep.

"Why Aegon? Shouldn't we be calling for Nyra's return?" Elaena inquired.

Alicent sighed, reaching out to hold Elaena's hands, her thumb gently caressing the back of them, "Viserys expressed his wish for Aegon to ascend the throne." she revealed.

Retracting her hands, Elaena shook her head, "Viserys wouldn't change his mind so easily. He named Nyra as his heir, and no one else." she asserted.

Alicent's voice grew firm, her eyes locking with Elaena's, "I speak the truth, Elaena. His last words were uttered to me alone. He wanted you to be Aegon's queen."

Elaena's eyes widened, disbelief and confusion clouding her features, "What kind of absurdity is this?" she exclaimed.

"Watch your tone when addressing the Queen, Lady Elaena." Ser Criston warned, attempting to assert his authority.

Elaena's gaze pierced through Ser Criston, her eyes filled with fury. The force behind her glare caused Ser Criston to freeze in his place, "Hold your tongue, or you may find yourself speechless tomorrow." she whispered sharply before redirecting her attention to Alicent, "Did he truly say those words, or are you making your move to usurp the fucking throne?" she whispered directly into her ears, sending chills all over Alicent's body.

Alicent attempted to reason with Elaena, but she stormed out of the room, leaving Alicent sighing heavily, her eyes fixed on the open door.

"Your Grace." Ser Criston called out, breaking the silence.

Alicent turned her gaze towards him, searching for a glimmer of loyalty in his eyes, "I trust again to you, Ser Criston, and to your loyalty. Aegon must be found, and he must be brought to me. The very fate of the Seven Kingdoms depends on it." she declared, taking a step forward.

Ser Criston bowed his head, his voice filled with determination, "I will not fail you, Your Grace."

Aemond interjected, capturing their attention, "I'll come with you." he stated, his presence commanding their focus.

Alicent hesitated, placing a hand on Aemond's arm, "That would not be my desire, Aemond. If anything has happened..."

Aemond reached out, gently grasping his mother's arm, "Cole needs me, Mother. Ser Erryk isn't the only one who knows Aegon's doings."

Back in Elaena's chambers, tears cascaded down her cheeks as Arden enveloped her in a tight embrace. His strong arms provided solace as he held her close, his touch offering a tender reassurance amidst the sea of grief that consumed her.

"He's gone..." Elaena murmured, her voice muffled against Arden's neck.

Arden held her even tighter, his grip conveying his empathy and support. He exhaled a sigh, his voice filled with genuine sorrow, "I am truly sorry for your loss, my love." He continued to whisper soothing words, hoping to bring her some semblance of comfort.

Time passed, and Elaena found herself seated on Arden's lap, the echoes of her sobs still lingering in the room. His gentle touch caressed her hair as he continued to offer solace and patiently waited for her tears to subside, silently offering his support.

"Have you calmed down, my love?" he gently asked.

Elaena nodded, her breath shaky. Arden smiled and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"Do you want some water?" he offered.

Again, Elaena nodded, gasping in surprise as Arden effortlessly lifted her into his arms. He carried her to a chair, poured a glass of water, and handed it to her. Elaena mumbled her thanks as Arden returned the gesture with a reassuring smile.

"I want to see him for the last time." Elaena murmured.

Arden hummed, ready to open the door, but it remained stubbornly locked. Elaena furrowed her brow, questioning what could have caused this predicament.

Arden faced her, "It seems that they've locked us." he replied.

Frustration surged through her as she pounded her hand against the door, "What is the meaning of this?" she demanded.

Night fell, and Arden held Elaena tightly as they sat on the bed, locked in their chambers.

Suddenly, a commotion erupted outside, and Arden positioned himself protectively in front of Elaena. The door swung open, revealing Ser Erryk and Rhaenys, both cloaked in their cloaks. Arden instinctively unsheathed his sword, pointing it towards Ser Erryk in a defensive stance.

"We have come to retrieve you, Lady Elaena." Ser Erryk declared.

Placing a calming hand on Arden's arm, Elaena intervened, "It's alright, they mean us no harm." she reassured Arden, prompting him to sheathe his sword.

Curiosity mixed with caution, Elaena turned her attention back to Ser Erryk and asked, "What is the meaning of this? Why have we been locked in our chambers?"

Ser Erryk sighed, his gaze filled with remorse, "My Lady, I cannot let this treachery stand." he confessed.

Arden immediately grabbed their cloaks, wrapping them securely around Elaena and then around him as they were about to leave. In an instant, Helaena flashed through Elaena's mind.

"We cannot leave Helaena behind to suffer alone." Elaena declared, "And Silverwing, I cannot abandon her either."

Ser Erryk and Rhaenys exchanged a glance, comprehending Elaena's concern.

"They'll expect you there, My Lady." Ser Erryk explained, "Queen Alicent intended you to be the crowned queen, not Princess Helaena."

Elaena scoffed at the notion, shaking her head in disbelief, "I will stay here." she decided, raising her hand to halt any objections from Arden, "I have a plan."

Arden hesitated, his eyes filled with worry, but ultimately he trusted Elaena's judgement. With a nod, Ser Erryk, Rhaenys, and Arden departed, leaving Elaena alone in her chambers.

Seated together in the carriage, the atmosphere was heavy with tension. Elaena's expression remained impassive, her thoughts hidden behind a veil of stoicism. Alicent sighed, casting a brief glance in Elaena's direction before addressing Aegon.

"Have the decency to look grateful." Alicent admonished, her voice tinged with frustration.

Aegon, however, continued to ignore her, his gaze fixed on the world passing by through the small gaps of the carriage.

"Do you know what has been done to give you this day?" Alicent questioned, her voice laced with weariness, "In just an hour, you will be king."

Aegon's voice carried a hint of resentment as he replied, "And my father never wanted this."

Alicent countered, "That's not true."

"He had 20 years to name me heir and never did. Steadfastly, he upheld Rhaenyra's claim." Aegon retorted.

"He changed his mind." Alicent asserted.

The shared laughter of Elaena and Aegon rippled through the carriage, their eyes briefly meeting before averting their gazes. Alicent's patience waned as she opened a case, revealing Viserys' dagger.

"Do not toy with me, Mother." Aegon warned, his tone becoming serious and his face hardening.

"I speak the truth." Alicent affirmed, "Listen to me, Aegon. Your grandfather, the Hand, will try to impress on you that Rhaenyra should be put to the sword. You must reject this counsel. We must not rule with cruelty and callousness. For all her faults, she is your sister, your father's daughter..."

Aegon interrupted, his voice filled with uncertainty, "Do you love me?"

Elaena turned her gaze towards Aegon, his eyes silently searching for confirmation from his mother. The carriage continued its journey towards the Dragonpit, the streets swelling with a clamour of people jostling to catch a glimpse of the soon-to-be-crowned king and queen.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

7.1K 206 14
Aelyria Targaryen is the product of Rhaenyra's Targaryen wedding night escapade. She grows up in King's Landing amongst vipers and spiders, and not e...
45.4K 1.3K 35
"Blood of the Old runs thick... the winds of change will stir..." Why the Doom of Valyria occurred had been a mystery to all across Essos and Westero...
5.9K 190 8
"We'll be a fine line. We'll be alright." 👑 In 81 AC, the prince, Baelon and his sister-wife, Alyssa, welcomed twins into the world, Daemon and Daen...
107K 3.5K 38
Daenys Velaryon is the oldest child of Rhaenyra and Laenor Velaryon, but she shares the same true lineage as her brothers Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Joff...