The Way the World is ยน | the...

By _breezie_

"๐˜ ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฅ." It was a chant Madalyn Taylor told herself every day. Every day since the worl... More

THE WAY THE WORLD IS
ACT ONE
| 01 | Alone and afraid
| 02 | Safe
| 03 | Only for so long
| 04 | Exposed
| 05 | It will all be okay
| 06 | It was never gonna be okay
| 07 | Losing hope
| 08 | Better you than us, buddy
| 09 | We have each other
| 10 | Come back
| 11 | This is for them
ACT TWO
| 12 | My fear did not win today
| 13 | You should get an award
| 14 | The wrath of God
| 15 | Just for you
| 16 | Beth
| 17 | 17 days
| 18 | I'll be with Daryl
| 19 | Still good people
| 20 | The new normal
| 21 | Pretty serious spaghetti
| 22 | It wasn't your battle
| 23 | Rick Grimes saved my life
ACT THREE
| 24 | Like we always do
| 25 | Didn't expect that, huh?
| 26 | No going back
| 27 | Fire in your soul
| 28 | Her world
| 29 | The boogeyman
| 30 | What could've been
| 31 | Submit or die
| 32 | On my mind
| 33 | Let me kill him
| 34 | Never the same again
ACT FOUR
| 35 | Welcome to a brand new beginning
| 36 | Loose screws
| 37 | Keep pushing forward
| 38 | Three chances
| 39 | Bearer of all evil
| 40 | Disrespectful child
| 41 | Memories
| 42 | His own fault
| 43 | Hearts still beating
| 44 | Position of a coward
| 45 | Dead serious
| 46 | Negan's word was law
| 47 | Time to shine
| 48 | Remember
| 50 | Wildfire
| 51 | Fight for it
ACT FIVE
| 52 | The misled crusade
| 53 | Constellation Ara
| 54 | Jog your memory
| 55 | Little psycho
| 56 | Nothing
| 57 | Sensible one
| 58 | May my mercy prevail
| 59 | Wrong
| 60 | I love you, goodbye
| 61 | Cut our losses
| 62 | A friend
| 63 | Past discomforts
| 64 | Anger and vengeance
| 65 | Choice
| 66 | Go beat this world
| 67 | Kill or be killed
| 68 | Satisfaction
| 69 | Justice
| 70 | Over my wrath
ACT SIX
| 71 | Home sweet home
| 72 | Free
| 73 | Object in motion

| 49 | Kindred spirits

291 9 32
By _breezie_

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄: 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐒

...madalyn dixon...

Dwight stared hard at Daryl from where he knelt on the concrete. Madalyn flexed her fingers and bit the inside of her cheek. It would be so easy to kill him right here and right now.

"Look at me," Rick ordered lowly causing Dwight to turn his head slowly. "Why?"

"'Cause I want it stopped," Dwight replied. "I want Negan dead."

"So why don't you kill him?"

"Can't just be me. They're all Negan."

Madalyn scoffed before Tara spoke up, "That girl you murdered..." She leaned down so she was at eye level with Dwight. "She had a name. Her name was Denise, and she was a doctor. And she helped people."

"I wasn't aiming for her," Dwight stated.

Daryl ran forward and slammed Dwight against the wall, his knife pointed right at Dwight's face. "Who were you aiming at, huh?" Daryl snapped. "Me or my fucking kid?"

"Do it," Madalyn and Tara said at the same time.

"Kill him, Daryl," Madalyn added. "Fucking do it."

"You wanna end it this way," Dwight panted. Daryl's hand was around Dwight's throat, and Madalyn remembered when Dwight did the same thing to her after she punched him. "You go ahead. I'm sorry. I am."

"You're a shitty liar," Madalyn grumbled.

"I know you want to," Dwight continued. "I know your kid wants to."

"He could just be here to see if you were here," Rick remarked.

"We can't trust him," Michonne noted.

"Not like I haven't been saying that," Madalyn mumbled. Did no one ever listen to her?

"He owned me. But not anymore. What I did, I was doing it for someone else. She just got away." Sherry. "So now I'm here. So are you because of her."

"Do it!" Tara repeated.

"There's another choice," Dwight said.

"Daryl, you knew her."

"Negan trusts me. We work together, we can stop him."

Daryl's knife was barely an inch of Dwight's eye. Just one stab, and he'd be dead. Madalyn might actually feel some peace with the knowledge that Dwight no longer existed. Denise would be avenged. Madalyn tried to will Daryl to kill the bastard.

"You knew me then, and you know me now," Dwight continued talking. Madalyn was going to rip his tongue out so she'd never have to hear his voice again. "You know I'm not lying. I'm not."

"Do it. Do it!" Tara shouted.

Then Daryl lowered his knife, and the anger boiled to the surface.

Madalyn didn't give a damn if Dwight was lying or not. She didn't care. It didn't matter if he actually wanted to help them. Nothing mattered. Killing him was the only thing that occupied her mind.

"If you won't fucking kill him, I will," Madalyn declared while stepping forward and drawing her knife.

"They have Sasha... if she's even alive." Rosita's words had Madalyn stopping only a foot from Dwight.

"Why didn't you say something?" Jesus asked. "He could be our only chance to get her back."

"Because I don't trust him. But I trust Daryl. Madalyn... you should trust him, too."

Madalyn's chest heaved as her knuckles turned white around her knife. She turned her head to look at Daryl, and the two watched each other. Daryl cast his gaze down at her knife, then to Dwight, then back to her. He shook his head lightly and said nothing.

She made a promise that she'd make things right. That she'd avenge Denise. That she'd give Dwight what he deserved for all of the things he did to her and her father. Killing him was one of the few things that had kept her going recently. The goal of ending his miserable life was something that occupied her mind nearly every second of every day. She was so close to doing it. She needed to do it.

Everything echoed in her head. The images replayed continuously. So much haunted her all of the time, and it was all Dwight's fault. Negan's, too, but he wasn't here. Dwight was, and maybe if she killed him, the nightmares would cease. The pain would end.

Sasha.

Dwight could learn all of their plans, then betray them.

He might be the only way to get Sasha back.

He was a liar. He was selfish. He'd done horrible things.

He could help take down Negan once and for all.

Trust Daryl.

"God dammit," Madalyn groaned before sliding her knife away and glaring at Dwight. "You are one lucky son of a bitch, I hope you know that."

"Yeah," Dwight sighed, then turned to Rick. "Negan's coming soon. Tomorrow. Three trucks probably. Twenty Saviors and him. I can slow them down, bring some trees down in the road, buy a little time for you guys to get ready." Rick and Daryl shared a look. "If you can take them out, that's where we start. You kill them, I'll radio back to the Sanctuary."

"The Sanctuary?" Rick inquired.

"Where Negan lives. That's what they call it. I can radio back to them and say everything's okay. You drive the trucks back, and I can lead you right inside, and, with the right plan, we can wipe out the rest. Check to see if your friend's still alive. Then, we get the workers on your side, build our numbers up, and go from outpost to outpost and end this."

They all stared at Dwight, contemplating his plan. It sounded like a good plan, if everything went how they wanted it to. Nothing ever really did, so what was their backup plan?

Beth's words rang through Madalyn's head. There's still good people. Madalyn knew that, but Dwight wasn't one of them. The workers at the Sanctuary, they deserved to be freed. Perhaps even some of the Saviors themselves were good people. Maybe they wished to be freed of Negan as well.

Would they kill every last one of Negan's soldiers? Or would they give them a choice? Surrender or die. A lot of the Saviors deserved to die, and Madalyn was more than okay with that. But did all of them?

Did... Did Nick deserve to die? Was there hope for him? If given the option, would he give up his life as a Savior and help them? She had given him a choice, and he had still left. Would it be different now? Maybe it would be. Or maybe not.

Madalyn only hoped that if she needed to, if he attacked her family, she'd be able to take him down.

~*~*~*~

Dwight's plan was being set into motion. That was a thought Madalyn never believed she would've had.

"Sorry for hitting you," she told Jase as they walked down the streets of Alexandria. He, Jesus, and Enid were returning to the Hilltop. They were also bringing Judith with them since it was much safer there than it would be at Alexandria.

"You've got a strong arm," Jase noted. "Just... please, don't do it again."

"No promises."

The two of them arrived at the car they'd be taking to Hilltop. Madalyn only came over here to say goodbye to Judith. Enid was holding onto the girl, and she smiled lightly when she saw Madalyn.

Madalyn carefully took Judith from Enid's arms, resting the little girl on her hip. "You guys be careful out there, all right?" Madalyn said to Jase, Jesus, and Enid. "There could be Saviors lurking around any corner."

"We'll be okay," Jesus assured her.

Madalyn nodded. "Look after Judes, too. She likes playing with hair." Madalyn glanced between Enid and Jesus who both had long hair that would be very easy for Judith to grab. Madalyn kissed the side of Judith's head, hugging her one last time before giving her back to Enid.

"Bye-bye," Judith said softly while waving. Madalyn's heart nearly melted as she waved at the girl.

"Stay safe, Madalyn," Jase told her.

She nodded again and watched while they all got into the car and drove out of Alexandria.

The sun was just beginning to rise, casting the world in an orange glow. Madalyn shut her eyes briefly. Sometime today, the Saviors would arrive at their gates. And if some miracle happened, Negan would be dead by the end of it. Within a week's time, they could be free of the Saviors entirely. It seemed so unlikely, and it probably was.

Having hope was such a difficult thing. It always had been for Madalyn. Beth wanted her to have hope. And Madalyn tried so hard.

She wouldn't say it will go well. She just hoped it would.

"Madalyn."

She turned around and spotted Daryl standing a distance behind her. He jolted his head to the side as he moved to walk away. Shit. She was probably gonna get a lecture. She mentally prepared herself before jogging after him and falling into step beside him.

"We'll kill him after this is all over," Daryl said as if it was the most casual thing in the world. "It don't matter if he helps us. He ain't gonna live after."

"Good," she replied. "I never thought I'd be plotting a murder with my dad."

Daryl huffed. "I don't want you leaving my side during the fight. Just stay close, okay?"

"I will. But I can handle myself, too. I'm a lot different than how I used to be. I'm not scared anymore."

Daryl stopped walking and looked at her. He regarded her carefully. Madalyn shifted under his gaze. She prided herself on being able to tell what Daryl was thinking pretty easily, but she truly had no what he was thinking right now.

"I'm proud of you, kiddo," he said, and Madalyn's heart skipped a beat.

No one had ever been proud of her. At least no one had ever said it. Before, she understood why. What was there to be proud of? She was a scared girl who had never had anyone close to her. She'd done nothing worthwhile. She was average at school, at best. She was just... there.

Parents told their children they were proud of them all of the time. They were supposed to anyway. Madalyn's biological father was never around enough to say much to her at all. Her mother barely ever gave her a second glance. She'd always wanted to be more to them, but they didn't care. She only ever wanted someone to love her, to care for her, to be proud of her.

Daryl Dixon truly was everything she had ever wanted.

Tears pricked Madalyn's eyes as she smiled softly. "You're proud of me?"

Daryl nodded before he told her, "I don't know how to be a good dad to you. This ain't somethin' I have experience with. I'm try―"

Madalyn interrupted him by lunging forward and hugging him. He stumbled slightly as her arms winded around his back. "You are a good dad," she whispered against his shoulder. "Just keep being you, and I'll be happy. I chose you as my father for a reason." Daryl rested his hand on the back of her head while his other arm wrapped around her back.

In a world full of misery and death, somehow two broken souls had found each other and healed one another. Fate liked its cruel jokes, but for once, it smiled down upon Daryl Dixon and Madalyn Dixon. Kindred spirits.

Madalyn latched onto Daryl for as long as he would let her. There was a battle coming, and she wanted some comfort beforehand.

~*~*~*~

The Scavengers―as they were appropriately called―were an odd bunch. They arrived at Alexandria on bikes and in garbage trucks. They were a lot of them, too. But were there enough to defeat the Saviors?

Madalyn eyed them carefully as they moved throughout her home. She'd seen their leader, Jadis, and immediately wished she hadn't seen the woman. She had a certain glint in her eyes Madalyn didn't like. It didn't help that her hair was atrocious, too.

"Wait, when was the first time you used one of these?" Carl asked while gesturing to a couple of assault rifles on the table in front of them.

"After... after Dwight killed Denise," she answered. "It was pure luck that I didn't hurt myself while using it. I still don't really know how to work it well. But I want to. It's more effective than my handgun."

"All right." Carl picked up one of the guns. "Hold it like this." Madalyn grabbed another one and held it just like Carl did. He continued to instruct her on how to work the gun properly. Once he was done, she didn't feel overly confident, but it was enough.

"Thank you," she said. "You're gonna be on the wall, aren't you?"

He nodded. "You'll be with Daryl?"

"Yeah."

Madalyn set the gun down, causing Carl to repeat the action with his own. She reached out and grabbed both of his hands, interlocking their fingers. "Don't do anything stupid," she stated. "We have to survive this day."

"When have I ever done anything stupid?"

Madalyn raised her eyebrow at him incredulously. He grinned sheepishly and cast his eyes to the ground.

"Yeah. I don't think you want me to answer that," Madalyn noted.

"Don't you do anything stupid either," Carl shot back.

"I physically can't do anything stupid if Daryl's gonna be watchin' me every second. He'd probably throw me over his shoulder if he had to."

Carl laughed. "He would."

"We'll be okay," Madalyn assured not only Carl but herself. "Even if it all goes horribly wrong, we have to be okay."

Somewhere in death, Beth Greene would be smiling at Madalyn.

Some sort of call sounded in the distance. Madalyn and Carl both shot their heads to the side. People began rushing toward the wall. It was time.

Madalyn surged forward and kissed Carl. For a moment, time froze, and she could savor it forever. But reality set in, and they both had to get ready for a battle.

Carl held onto her for just a little longer, kissing her once more. "I... Be careful."

I love you. The words echoed in Madalyn's head, but she didn't say them.

"You, too," she whispered.

Carl let go of her and grabbed his gun. They shared one more look before he ran off to join his dad on top of the wall. Madalyn sucked in a breath and grabbed her own assault rifle. She straightened it in her arms, then walked toward the gates. As she approached, she heard the Saviors' trucks. They were here, and they brought a battle with them.

I am not afraid.

~*~*~*~

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞

i decided to split up what was originally one chapter into two because i liked the idea more of eugene and the scavenger's betrayal, sasha's death, and the fight all being in one chapter. the last chapter of this act will be the very end of the episode. like the aftermath of everything

the last chapter will be a short one but i'm very excited to write it 

also shameless self promo, i made an edit that i'm very proud of. it's the most recent on my tiktok (user: breezie_wp)

𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 2.7K 19
โ๐’๐ž๐œ๐จ๐ง๐ ๐–๐ข๐ง๐โž โ€• In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a g...
699K 14.1K 46
"She wore her troubled past Like scars - She had been through battle And though no one could see her demons They could see the face that conquere...
111K 3.5K 36
"Save me, I can't face this life alone." They didn't like relying on others because they always ended up losing, but now they needed people to surviv...
11.5K 551 32
Daryl Dixon x Reader DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN THE WALKING DEAD OR ITS CHARACTERS. I ONLY OWN MY CHARACTERS AND SOME OF THE PLOT AND DIALOUG I MAKE U...