Kissed by Fire: Cal Kestis

By ASongOfIceAndFandoms

The galaxy is on its knees. With the spread of the newly formed Galactic Empire, surviving Jedi are forced i... More

Kissed by Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 8

459 16 8
By ASongOfIceAndFandoms

They ran in silence through the trench leading to Saw's position, the only sound coming every once and a while from BD-1's insistent beeps that he keep a conversation flowing. He hated the fact that his two humans were all of a sudden arguing over Saw Gerrera and his cause. If it were up to BD, all three of them would be back on the AT-AT blowing up plenty of Imperial walkers and TIE fighters. But alas, he was merely the droid. No one ever listened to the droid. Especially when you are as small as BD was.

Luckily for BD, they found him a new upgrade that he would be able to short circuit the Imperial technology with, but not without defeating a giant and rather annoying spider the natives called a wyyyschokk. Y/n had cursed off all spiders, and Kashyyyk, for making such a monstrous animal as the wyyyschokk. Not to mention having to dodge around flame beetles, which blew up like red hot lava on Mustafar right after you killed them.

As Cal climbed the last leg of the trench, Y/n used her grappling hook to whip herself up to Saw's position. The two of them looked ahead to see Saw hovering around his Partisan troops on an outcropping that overlooked the refinery. When Saw noticed Y/n, he gave her a look and said in a whisper, "Didn't expect the reinforcement."

"I just want to help the Wookiees. If it hurts the Empire, that's an added bonus," Y/n nipped back, her distaste evident in her voice. Cal resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her tone.

Saw turned back to Cal, handing him binocs and saying, "Imperial sap refinery lies dead ahead."

"What does the Empire want with tree sap?" Cal questioned in tire, standing and looking over the railing with the binocs.

"Nothing good," Saw replied, glancing between the teenagers. "They refine the sap into a powerful compound and they're rushing to expand production."

Though the binocs, Cal could see the Wookiee slaves amidst the stormtroopers, working on the large cutters that sliced through the trees to the sap. "We have to stop them," Cal said when he kneeled back down.

"That's the plan," Saw claimed as he took back the binocs. "We don't know their endgame, but they've spread themselves too thin. This map we've recovered proves it." Cal took the chip, giving it to BD so he could project the hologram in front of them. Saw pointed through the map. "These refineries double as brutal prison camps. We'll use those cutters to create a distraction while you take your lightsaber and free the Wookiees inside." Y/n didn't like how Saw spoke with Cal, putting a hand to his shoulder like a cry of help. "We'll need their help to stop the Empire."

"Understood," Cal nodded, unaware of the glare Y/n was giving Saw.

The man stood, firing his grappling hook off with one last look at the teens. "You two watch yourselves in there." And with that, him and his men were gone.

Y/n stood with a sigh, shaking her had with an ironic laugh as Cal looked down to BD and excitedly whispered, "You hear that? He said he needs my help."

"Oh, come on, Cal," Y/n scoffed as Cal stood, BD-1 scrambling up his arm and on his back. "Don't get too lost in that lazy eye."

"What is your problem?" Cal demanded, following her down a nearby path. He pushed open a broke door, Y/n walking through before he even had a chance to continue. He did anyway, much to her chagrin. "Why are you so hell-bent on distrusting Saw?"

"His reasons for battle are not what they should be. I said it before, he cares more about winning the war and the thrill of the battle than the actual cause the rebels are standing for," Y/n spoke, not turning around.

"I don't believe that," Cal shook his head. "Why else would he be trying to free the Wookiees and bring down the refinery?"

"Wow, I'm getting deja-vu," Y/n mumbled, more to herself than to Cal, who furrowed his brows. "The Wookiees in there are guerilla fighters. Fighters and troops that can help Saw in battle in the future. I doubt he cared when it was only the Wookiee civilians the Empire was enslaving."

"Y/n, you're looking at it from one point of view," Cal argued back. BD chirped words of his own discomfort at their dispute, but neither paid attention to the droid's words.

"He said it himself, Cal!" Y/n almost yelled, but quieted when she noticed they were nearing the entrance to the refinery. "He told us there was intel on guerilla fighters trapped in with the other Wookiees. That is why he's here. To build his army. Not to save the common people."

Trill bweep-bo-beep!

BD-1's loud words caused them both to snap out of their argument. The droid jumped off Cal's shoulder and stomped his foot on the ground, looking between the both of them like a distressed child. The teenagers looked from the droid to each other, Cal letting out a breath and saying, "BD is right. We don't have time to argue right now."

"Sorry, BD," Y/n patted the head of the droid, who gave a few disgruntled whirs and chirps to say it was alright, but they needed to stop. "Can you bring up the map of the refinery again, bud?"

He nodded, and the blue hologram appeared from his eye. Examining the way, they turned him off just in time to see Saw's distraction. Stormtroopers guarding the door were speaking in confusion as one of the cutters turned on. They quickly disposed of the troopers, and entered the building to find an Imperial astromech, which Cal quickly disposed of. Y/n unshiethed her electrobaton as they moved fast and swift through the lines of troopers, eventually coming across a Purge Trooper who had already taken down two Partisan fighters.

"A Jedi," he sneered once he saw Cal, readying his staff. "This is what I've trained for."

"Y/n, keep going. Let me handle this," Cal spoke low, his lightsaber gripped in both hands.

"Cal-" Y/n began, but it was too late. Cal had already engaged in battle. She dodged strikes of the Purge Trooper and Cal's saber to get past the fight, reaching the doors on the other side. Pressing the buttons to open the door, she watched anxiously as the keypad did nothing but spark and sputter, the door remaining tightly shut. "I can't get through!"

"Just stay back!" Cal shouted to her, managing a hard strike to the trooper's staff, knocking him off balance for a only a moment. It didn't even take him a second to regain himself and strike back even harder at Cal than before.

The trooper knocked Cal to the floor, turning to the struggling girl as she tried to fit her fingers into the cracks in the door to pry it open. "Time to make you suffer, Jedi," the Purge Trooper cackled while looking down at Cal, and began stalking towards the unwitting girl.

Cal's eyes widened, and a burst of energy exploded inside him. "NO!" he cried out, jumping into the air and bringing his lightsaber down upon the trooper. The trooper faltered when he felt his skin burning under the power of the lightsaber, falling to the ground dead as Cal struck him down. The Jedi took a breath, looking down at his lightsaber and shutting it off as his lungs struggled to take in air. He looked up to Y/n, who was watching him with deep concern in her eyes.

"Cal? Are you alright?" she asked him, stepping away from the door to approach her companion. When she reached out to touch his arm, he stepped back. He immediately regretted it. The concern in her eyes was replaced with hurt, and she dropped her hand to return to the closed door in front of them.

"We've got them on the run! Keep pushing!" Saw's voice came through the intercom, and it knocked Cal out of his stupor to look up and see Saw staring down at them from the control room above. "Looks like your blocked. I'll fix that. Never seen a trooper like that before. You've got to get these Wookiees out of lockup. Keep moving, Jedi."

"I'm here too, you know," Y/n muttered, quiet enough so Saw couldn't hear her.

The sound of mechanical parts moving beside them alerted the two to a now open vent, one they could just barely squeeze through. "Vent's open. Go!"

"After you," Y/n gestured, and Cal could feel the tense atmosphere returning. He just wished she could see things the way he did. How Saw was trying to help Kashyyyk, not himself.

After managing through the tight fit vent, they came to a room where they saw the cutter the Partisans had started up had opened a rift in the walls, causing a massive inflow of flame beetles the Flame Troopers were trying to keep under control. Cal went to attack, but Y/n stopped him, saying, "Wait. Let the troopers take care of the beetles. Then that's one less thing we have to worry about."

He internally sighed at the fact that she was right. It was much easier to take on the troopers after all the beetles were dead. BD whirred in excitement when he saw the cutter had an overcharge port, jumping up and down to get Cal to move up to the cutter. "You want to go up there?"

Woo bo-bweep trill!

Cal shrugged, hopping up the railings as he said, "Alright, bud." He got as close as he could to the overcharge port, Y/n watching from below. She wasn't so keen on BD's plan, but nothing could stop that little droid. "You sure you wanna plug into this thing?" BD gave an affirmative whistle, wasting no time in charge up the cutter.

As it started moving, Y/n saw an open door appearing from behind the cutter. "Cal, a shortcut!" she called out, causing him to drop from his place on the cutter.

"That's why you wanted to move this thing." Cal grinned over at his buddy.

Beeeeep... Boooop...

Realization hit him at BD's hesitant response. "You had no idea that was there, did you? You just wanted to turn that cutter on."

Beep-beeep!

"Jeez, BD," Y/n shook her head with a laugh, grappling up to the shortcut as Cal climbed his way up. She loved that droid, despite his impulsive, and quite often dangerous, tendencies.

They rushed through the rest of the refinery, cutting through troopers and the flora and fauna of Kashyyyk alike. Even so, Cal and Y/n still weren't on the page they were on Zeffo. Mistakes and accidents happened in their inability to fight in tandem when facing multiple troopers. Y/n almost ended up with a lightsaber to the arm. BD was getting extremely tired of their refusal to speak with one another. Even with their disconnect, they managed their way through the forest sector of the refinery, coming up nearer and nearer to the prison.

Finally, after defeating one last batch of Scout Troopers, and a particularly grim Purge Trooper, they opened a door that led them directly to the Wookiee's cell. Y/n nearly gasped out loud at seeing them. There were multiple Wookiees in each floor cell, all of them with collars around their necks. The mistreatment was evident in their patchy hair and weak roars. "No guards?" Cal pointed out, the thought causing Y/n to think this was too easy.

They had no time to ponder. They needed to get the Wookiees out.

Cal approached a control monitor, until a growl from a nearby Wookiee cell caught their attention. Kneeling down, they faced the frightened Wookiees, Y/n saying, "Don't worry. We're here to free you."

"You're not alone," Cal finished, the Wookiee giving them a grateful round of roars before Cal stood and returned to the monitors.

Y/n looked around the cell block, thinking it odd there were no stormtroopers to keep the Wookiees guarded. However, her eyes widened when she saw the familiar round eyes of an Imperial K2 droid briskly approaching Cal, who was unaware of it's presence. Y/n gripped her electrobaton tightly, shouting out, "Cal, watch out!" She brought down the baton on the arm of the droid, allowing Cal enough time to roll out of the way, but it gave the droid the perfect opportunity to take Y/n by the neck.

"Visitation is not permitted," the droid spoke, and threw Y/n across the room. Cal reached his hand out, gathering all the Force he could to keep her landing soft. His connection was still broken, but he almost felt whole with it once more when he watched her softly touch the ground from his power. She touched her throat in pain, and Cal rolled out of the way just in time for the security droid to almost break his back with its foot. "Hostiles spotted," the droid voiced, and Cal ignited his lightsaber, ready for the fight.

While Cal tried his best to defeat the hard shelled droid, Y/n ran to the other side of the room. The Imperial control monitor had too many buttons for her to know what all of them did, so she ended up just pressing buttons while Cal fought the droid. She gazed over to check on his progress, and was glad to see he cut the leg from the droid, bringing it down to its knee, before slicing the entire thing in half. She had to admit, it was impressive. Cal ran to her position, stopped next to her as he asked, "You almost got it?"

His shoulder was pressed against hers. "I think so..." she started, and finally noticed the cell doors begin to lift. "Got it!"

The Wookiees jumped out of the cells a quickly as they could, all growling and roaring their joy and thanks to the two humans. They embraced one another in glee, one of them turning and roaring at Cal. The boy stood befuddled, unable to understand their words, but when he and Y/n were taken into tight hugs, he deducted what the Wookiee was saying to them both. "Glad to help," he answered instead.

Two of the Wookiees pried the door beside them open, revealing a few of the Partisan fighters there waiting for them. "Who's ready to fight some Imps?" one of them exclaimed, raising her blaster in the air. All the Wookiees cheered a battle cry, following the Partisans deeper into the refinery. "Alright, let's help these Wookiees get back in the fight!" She turned to Cal. "Great work Jedi. And you, Miss..."

"Kol. Y/n Kol," Y/n answered, her false name falling easy from her lips.

The Partisan nodded, and looked back to Cal. "We need to rendezvous with Saw."

The two of them nodded their understanding, Cal glancing to Y/n take assure she agreed. But it wasn't like she had much of a choice in the matter. It was either find Saw and continue this battle he wrought, or go back into the Imperial infested refinery.  She chose forward, and started off with Cal back towards the rest of the Partisans.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206 7 2
Cal Kestis was a mystery to you, even after knowing him for five years on Bracca. The pieces start to fall into place when you're woken up to an emer...
4.7K 49 16
You lived alone in a tower with your younger sister, and retainers since you can remember. Your other siblings came to visit every day, but it just n...
18.7K 375 10
{Jedi Fallen Order x Jedi Male Reader x Mass Effect: Andromeda} (Y/N) Voridus, once a Jedi Padawan, now a Jedi in hiding from the Empire due to the J...
84.2K 3.1K 22
"I defected, Jedi. I'm in this war and I'm helping you. Trust me or not, I'm not going anywhere." OR...