How to Train the Last Dragon...

By What_If_Universe

Five years have passed since Hiccup and Toothless crashed in Kumandra to stop the Drun and Krogan. Now with a... More

Where we call home
FIVE YEARS LATER
Darkness is coming
Home is calling
Calm before the storm
Talk about quite the surprise
Not the only one
A strange reunion and a call to action
The Fight For Kumandra begins

A collision is inevitable

290 4 2
By What_If_Universe

Toothless was currently resting in his room and just enjoying his mid-day sleep. It was exhausting to fly over five different lands at the speed that he does, especially with the fact he is used to nocturnal flights. Five years, and he is still trying to work out the whole talking thing. He was used to just trying to get Hiccup to understand him, and it was working for some time. But now with real words, it was strange and nice.

As he was sleeping, he heard the chirping of Terrible Terrors that were on the ledge. He was already getting annoyed by them and growled. "Will you just shut up!?"

The Terrors then flew up and left him alone.

Toothless sighed and saw he could get back to sleep and laid back down. But as he was lying back down, Sisu came and poked her head into the balcony.

"Hey!" Sisu cheerfully cried in glee.

Toothless screeched and even jumped up in shock and horror. Then when he realized that it was Sisu, he calmed down. "Whew! Sisu! Don't ever do that again!"

"Sorry. Didn't know you were still sleeping." Sisu admitted as she made her way inside the room. "So, how's it going?"

"You mean besides the fact you were trying to kill me with a scare?" Toothless asked with a low growl. "It was going fine."

"Well, I saw my girl Raya and your boy Hiccup going for a walk," Sisu explains as she circled the dragon. "I figured you would have nothing to do."

"Not really," Toothless admitted but noticed her face. She seemed eager to spend some time with him, so he just ended up giving in. "You know what? Okay..."

Sisu seemed to perk up when she saw he was interested in it and the two made their way outside. Toothless was the faster one to make it out and Sisu was quick to follow him into the air. They flew through the air and started to make their way across the skies together. When Sisu finally started to catch up, Toothless started to slow down and backed down a little. He then bumped Sisu playfully to get her attention. Sisu laughed as they continued to make their way through the sky and even reached the clouds Toothless started to circle her and Sisu started to spin while making platforms to keep herself up.

As they were making their way through the air, Hiccup and Raya were watching from below, just enjoying both each other's company and watching their friends flying together.

"How long do you think it will take either of them to confess they like one another?" Raya wonders.

Hiccup chuckled as he was happy to see he wasn't the only one seeing the two of them. "Toothless is a little stubborn, he will never be the first to confess."

"Still, they are pretty cute together." Raya shrugged and they continued to walk around Heart.

Hiccup walks and noticed a few people face a small bow or nod of respect. Even a few dragons bowed in honor of the man who saved them. He was still a little uneasy when they treated him like he was some sort of king, he was really just a friend to the Chief.

"You okay?" Raya noticed he was uncomfortable.

"It's still odd to see these people treat me with...respect." Hiccup wasn't sure how he felt about all of this, considering how he was treated on Berk. "It doesn't feel right."

Raya scoffed and saw they were just showing respect to the man who saved them. "You saved their lives and helped unite our lands." She reminded him of everything he did. "They're just showing off their respect for you."

As they were walking, they ended up running into Benja who was doing a few of his Chief duties. "Dewdrop. Hiccup." He greeted the couple with a large smile. "I hope you're having a pleasant day."

"It's been great, Chief Benja." Hiccup confirmed and bowed in respect.

"Hiccup, how many times have I said that's not necessary?" Benja asks him with a chuckle.

"Sorry, sir. It is a force of habit." Hiccup shrugged.

"Something the matter, Dad?" Raya was a little worried.

"No, nothing like that, Raya," Benja assured her and looked to Hiccup. "I was just wondering if I might be able to speak to Hiccup. Alone?"

Hiccup wasn't if he liked that idea and looked to Raya in worry. She however seemed okay and didn't see the harm and just knew Hiccup was afraid of her father. Despite the fact he rode a dragon and her father protected the village, Hiccup didn't wish to ever get on his bad side by dating his daughter.

"I don't see why not," Raya said as she walked away. "I'll go and see if Tuk-Tuk wants to take an evening stroll, and be back by our night walk."

"Should work out with Toothless wanting his flight later on." Hiccup agreed with that plan and watched her walk off.

Benja then walked next to the boy and gestured to the mountain. "Walk with me, son."

Hiccup complied and the two started to make their way up the hill. On the way up, Hiccup looked down and saw all of Heart from this height. Benja stood aside from him as they both looked down at the people they'd sworn to protect.

"Heart is beautiful from here, isn't it?" Benja asks him.

Hiccup had to admit it was. "It's all incredible. Even after all this time."

"Five years ago...well, I guess longer than that...it seemed like the idea of a fool our lands could be Kumandra again," Benja said with a smile. "And you came along and helped my daughter see that we could."

"She did most of it herself." Hiccup defended Raya. "She could have done it without me."

"Hiccup, your lack of selfishness astonishes me," Benja said as he walked again, and Hiccup quickly followed. "And there is a matter I have been meaning to talk with you about."

"What would that be?" Hiccup was worried it had something to do with the dragons.

"What are your intentions with my daughter?" Benja asks a bit of a personal question.

Hiccup was a little surprised to hear that question, but knew that was an honest question to ask him. "Benja, I love Raya. I...I've never felt this way to anyone before, and I know she feels they seem." Then he took out a small box, opening it to reveal a Diamond ring. "In fact...I've been thinking about the idea of proposing to her."

Benja smiled and was happy to hear he was serious about his daughter. "I'm glad she had a friend like you to help her through the trials." He then placed a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "And I can think of no better man for my daughter."

Hiccup was happy to hear that he had the father and chief blessing to marry Raya. "Thank you, sir. Was...was this all you wanted to talk about?"

Benja sighed and knew that was something that he needed to discuss. "No, not entirely. Hiccup, I've been watching you and Raya these past few years, and I have been wondering how you would feel about the idea of becoming second chief to Raya?"

Hiccup was shocked when he heard that idea and almost froze on the spot. "I...what...why wouldn't you? Is there something wrong?"

Benja nodded to confirm he was okay and looked at Heart. "Hiccup, I'm not getting any younger. It didn't even take much for me to be taken down during the Druun." He was a little ashamed of how easily he was defeated that day ten years ago. "I need to do what's best for my people. And from what I can see, that's you and Raya taking over." Hiccup still seemed conflicted about the thought. "I will continue to run things, and I will be able to help. But I think that if you do plan to marry Raya, you and her should take over after the ceremony."

Hiccup wasn't sure what he could say to this news. "I...I need a little time to think about it."

Benja assured him he understood exactly why and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I understand, Hiccup. It's a big decision. I didn't expect it to come easy."

Hiccup then walked away and left Benja on the mounts as he looked over Heart once more. He knew that this was the right idea for all of Heart and Kumandra in a hole. They have traveled to all five lands, know people from all five of them, and would more than likely have the full support of the people to take over.

————————————————————

Back on Berk, the group of Chiefs was starting to meet in the great hall. This was also an open meeting with a few people of Berk as well as Namaari who sneaked inside. Drago snarled and Namaari was getting a bad feeling from him. He started to turn to the other chiefs he summoned and the meeting began.

"Our dragons have been stolen from us in the middle of the night." Stoick started it off. "They snuck past our defenses and were quick to attack us and escape. Stealing our dragons, so now we can't train any other new recruits."

"He came into our villages!" Dagur cried in anger as he slammed his sword into the table. "He stole our dragons! Now we don't have anything to fight!"

"I've heard that they call this boy the Dragon Conqueror," Drago stated, as he was never told the true name of Hiccup. "He has been making it impossible for me to find other dragons. I have been told he's rescuing every dragon, building an entire army to conquer us all!"

"Someone else beat you to it?" Stoick asks Drago with a snarl.

"This boy is a danger to us all, Stoick." Drago snarled as he approached the chief. "He will come for us all, we must stop this Conquerer before he conquers us."

"The Dragon Conqueror?" Alvin asks as he also knew the name. "He is said to be riding a Night Fury. Able of conquering every dragon known."

"I hear he is ten feet tall with the strength of a thousand men," Savage commented on the rumors that he's heard.

"Well, he shouldn't be too hard to find then, should he?" Alvin joked.

"Except that he has been able to hide from me, no matter how much my men have looked," Drago explains why he accepted the invitation. "We have begun to narrow down where he could be holding." He then pointed dangerously close to Kumandra. Namaari was starting to worry and knew she needed to warn the others. "I think he is hiding somewhere in this area, but there are no charted islands on any map."

Then as Namaari was making her way for the exit, Dagur took a moment and started to smell the room. "Wait. I smell..." Then he took a small knife and tossed it across the room. When it started to make its way toward Namaari, she ended up grabbing the knife before it could hit her head. But that action caused Shsrpshot to screech and reveal himself by poking his head out. "...dragon."

Namaari then noticed everyone started to look at her in confusion. "Sharpshot?" The dragon then looked over to her head. "Run."

The entire room suddenly then charged towards her as Namaari opened the door and ran for her life. The people who were outside were a little confused about what was happening when Namaari quickly leaped over them and did a roll down the side of the hill. She ran as far as she could to get a head start on the people.

When she got far enough, she dropped to her knees and took out a pencil and paper. She quickly tried to write a warning to Raya and Hiccup, knowing Sharpshot would fly to them and likely would come back.

"I hope you get this message in time, guys," Namaari said in fear. "War is about to begin."

Then Namaari took the message and attached it to Sharpshot and held him up. He screeched and flew away when Namaari was then met with Astrid, who drew her axe. Namaari then quickly drew her sword and knew she needed to get away and there was no easy way out. Running towards Astrid, she quickly blocked Namaari's first attempt to attack her and Astrid used her power to push Namaari off and swung her axe at her.

Namaari blocked the attack and was then surrounded by dozens of other Vikings who tried to attack her. She fought back and was able to block a few different attacks, but she was shot several times by the darts she once used against Astrid. She however wasn't going down without a fight and took a few other swings before falling to her knees and hitting the ground.

Drago looked out and noticed the Terror flying out into the crowd. "Bring her to our ship, and prepare to leave!" He then pointed to the dragon who was flying. "We shall follow that Terror!"

On the mountaintop of the island, there was a figure who was watching everything and was worried about what was to come. She wore chest armor with an attached fur shawl, round shoulder guards, and large armbands with faux talons above her hands. She also wears a red, torn cape and strips of fabric around her waist. She wears a masking helmet with horns that to hide her identity that is covered in blue and red paint.

She stood up and ran down the hill where she found her dragon was there waiting for her to return. Her dragon is a full-grown Stormcutter with woody brown scales, cream underbelly, and iridescent blue highlights. His face has two long spines that branch off his nose and to the side with a smashed face, much like an owl's. He also has two scars on his facial spine.

"We gotta get moving, Cloudjumper." She said to the dragon and swung her staff for the dragon to grab. She was placed on the dragon's back and she pointed her staff out to the sky. "Follow that Terror!"

————————————————————

Meanwhile far back in Kumandra, Sisu and Toothless were watching as the sun was beginning to set on the horizon. They were enjoying the sight from just off the bridge where they got a clear view of the sun hitting the river, giving them the perfect view.

"This is nice." Sisu sighed as she rolled up and Toothless leaned over. "Just to sit and relax once in a while."

"Yeah, it's the little pleasures that we never got much of while on the run." Toothless has to admit he's liked these moments after everything they've been through. "Just sitting back and relaxing after all the chasing, the fighting, the constant needing to check our backs for Dragon Hunters." He then looked over to Sisu and shoved his wing against her playfully. "And I gotta say, the company is really nice."

"Aw, you're just saying that." Sisu scoffed and pushed him back. "I mean, I did get you killed once."

Toothless went from happy to a little mutual. "You really ruined the moment. Besides, that was more Krogan's fault, rather than yours. I know you'd never intentionally try and hurt me."

"And I know you'd never do anything either." Sisu proclaimed with a smile.

Toothless and Sisu then ended up facing away from the sunset and looking toward one another. As the day started to transform into the night, the two dragons were starting to lose Len another in their eyes. Leaning close toward one another, they slowly started to approach and their noses almost touched.

But that was when Raya and Hiccup found the two of them and made their way over. "Hey, you two!"

Sisu and Toothless jumped and separated a little too fast for both of their liking. Hiccup and Raya looked at one another and were a little surprised and wondering what they were walking into.

"Uh, were we interrupting something?" Raya was a little curious to know.

"No!" Sisu promised.

Toothless even got up and figured Hiccup was there for their nightly flight. "No, you're good. We were just watching the sunset."

Hiccup and Raya both looked at one another and knew there definitely was something going on between their dragon friends. But they decided to get them separate and talk to see exactly what is going on with them recently.

"Well, I've been looking for you so we can go for our flight." Hiccup shrugged and approached him. "You ready?"

"Yeah, let's go," Toothless said and waited for Hiccup to mount him.

Once Hiccup was on his back, they took off into the skies and left Raya and Sisu near the bridge. Sisu looked out lovingly towards Toothless and watched them leave. Raya smiled and noticed her friend definitely had feelings for the Night Fury.

"So...is there something going on here?" Raya asks her friend.

"Yeah..." Sisu seemed to not even be paying attention. Then when she did, she shook herself from her own trance. "No, wait, what?"

Raya smiled and seemed she got her friend. "Oh, come on, Sisu. There was definitely something going on between you and Toothless there."

"What?" Sisu scoffed, trying to hide her blushing and walking away. "No, no. There's...there's no way." She looked back and noticed Raya wasn't buying it. "And even if I did, then it wouldn't even matter, it wouldn't work out."

"Why not?" Raya asks as she tried to face Sisu. "Come on, you guys have been getting along perfectly fine for five years. There's no way that you're gonna tell me that you guys wouldn't work."

"It..." Sisu wasn't sure what kind of excuse could work. "It's just complicated."

"Sisu, you're the one who helped me open my heart and let people in," Raya tells her dragon friend. "If it weren't for you, I'd maybe never have accepted Hiccup."

"Well, that's still different." Sisu tried to shake it off. "Come on, that dragon would have no interest in me." Then she became skeptical about her own statement. "Right?"

Raya sighed as she walked up and patted her dragon and petted her back. "Come on, let's take advantage of this moment and get back. Gotta have a talk with Dad and the others, and I already called our friends to meet me while they're gone."

"Why?" Sisu wasn't sure she understood what was going on. "What's happening?"

"It's a surprise for Hiccup," Raya explains and did a quick little whistle tune. The Deadly Nadder they rescued on Berk came flying fast, Tuk-Tuk currently sleeping, and landed right beside them. She called the Nadder 'Cutter' due to her strong tail that could cut through almost everything. "Come on, let's go!"

————————————————————

Back with Hiccup and Toothless, they were flying around for a while before they decided to take a moment and just sit back in an open field. They laid back and looked upward towards the stars and just began to do a little stargazing. They would almost always do this when they had a moment alone. It was always just a small moment that they could just have to themselves like in the old days.

"This is one of my favorite things to do to end the day." Hiccup sighed as he relaxed on his friend.

"Yeah, it always reminds me of the old days." Toothless agreed and rested.

Hiccup pets his friend and scratched his head a little. "Well, I know things have changed in recent times, pal..."

"Hey, no, don't do that." Toothless quickly jolted his head up. "No, I'm happy we chose to stay. I'm happy we're here. It's just..." He looked out to the sky and sighed. "Guess I just remember the days we kept searching for new lands, new dragons..."

"Kept searching for a Night Furies?" Hiccup took a guess at what he was saying.

Toothless nodded and laid his head back down. "I know it was my call to stop searching, it just... it just makes me think that I might be the last of my kind." He then wrapped himself up and pushed Hiccup closer. "That I'm alone."

"Hey." Now it was Hiccup's turn to stop his friend. "No, you're not alone." He then went over and laid his head against his friend's. "You've got me. You always will have me. And you now have Raya, Noi, Benja, Boun, Tong..." Then he got to the best one. "Sisu."

Toothless recognized the tone he was saying that in and was worried. "What are you getting at?"

"Oh, come on, Bud, I see it, Raya sees it, and I'm pretty sure Benja sees it." Hiccup couldn't believe how clueless his friend was. "You and Sisu obviously like one another."

"No." Toothless didn't want to confirm that statement and shoved Hiccup. "Come on. She drives me crazy."

"And I drive Raya crazy." Hiccup shrugged as he stood up. "And there are also a few days she drives me crazy. But we still love each other. And you guys still makes it work as friends."

"Okay, but...it...it wouldn't work." Toothless didn't want to agree he actually liked her.

"Come on, what would be the harm in admitting it?" Hiccup wasn't sure he could believe how stubborn his dragon was being. "You can say it."

"No chance, no way. I ain't saying it." Toothless promises and looked away. "Was this all you wanted to discuss with me? My mating life?"

Hiccup sighed and just decided to leave it be for now and got to what started this argument. "No, I had something else I wanted to say." He then reached back and took out a small box. "I wanna ask Raya to marry me." He then opens the box and showed it off to his friend. "What do you think of the idea?"

Toothless suddenly became ecstatic as he jumped for joy and let out a cheer as he ran and tackled Hiccup and licked him. "I am so happy for you guys! Oh, she'll be the best person for you to be your mate. Not to mention perfect for your your offspring."

"Whoa, getting a little ahead of ourselves!" Hiccup laughed as he protected the ring box. "Come on, Buddy, I'm not losing this ring!"

"Sorry." Toothless climbed off of him, allowing Hiccup to get up.

"Gah." Hiccup groaned when he saw the dragon's saliva. "You know that doesn't wash out easily."

Toothless only chuckled in response as Hiccup then swung his arms and got Toothless with some of his salivae. He then chuckled and put away the ring box and was happy he had his friend's blessing on the idea. Now he just needed to learn where and when he should pop the question to Raya.

Maybe he should go to their friends from the other islands if they had any ideas.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3.8K 42
"There were dragons when we were kids" Hicca Haddock is the daughter of Stoick the vast, chief of the Hooligan tribe and twin sister to Hiccup Haddoc...
38.3K 744 16
Five years after Berk made peace with the dragons, a new threat rises and puts things to the test. Putting all of Berk and dragon kind at risk. HTTYD...
95.9K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...
58.8K 792 11
Hiccup has been betrayed by Astrid and banished and disowned by his father Stoick the vast. Hiccup leaves and vows that he would free all the drago...