The War Bride

Galing kay Kim_Knights

Two neighboring clans. A raging war. Amidst the threat of defeat, the matriarch proposes a truce by marrying... Higit pa

1 | Onto the Battlefield
2 | The Marriage Truce
3 | The Bride
5 | The War Groom
6 | The Lord
7 | Burying the Dead
8 | A Celebratory Banquet
9 | A Hostage Princess
10 | Ambush
11 | Friend or Foe
12 | Lies and Loyalty
13 | False Happiness
14 | Enemies Everywhere
15 | A Close Watch
16 | Admiration
17 | In the Library
18 | The Lord's Family
19 | A Woman's Hatred
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 1)
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 2)
20 | Vengeance
21 | Love Within Lies
22 | A Spark
23 | The Orphan Village
24 | Starlight
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 3)
25 | A Reminder
26 | The Yue Clan
27 | The Birthday Banquet
28 | Tyrants
29 | The Blind Priestess
30 | A Change of Heart
31 | Beneath the Masks
32 | Determination
33 | The Hunt
34 | Nightfall Isles
35 | The Silent Wraith

4 | An Inauspicious Marriage

2.8K 240 78
Galing kay Kim_Knights

A marriage procession should be full of life, music, and cheers. It should be a joyous occasion to welcome a bride into the family. A celebration of love and commitment between two people.

However, this wasn't the case for Luwen.

This felt like a funeral procession.

The journey back to the land of the Dai clan was grave and solemn. Every footstep was heavy as everyone grieved in silence for the families and friends they had lost in the war. Even though Luwen was sitting in the carriage and hidden from their view, she could feel their anger towards her through the wooden frame of the vehicle.

She couldn't imagine what it would be like living the next couple of months as a hostage in the enemy's home.

Her heart raced with anxiety. To distract herself, she closed her eyes, allowing her mind to wander back into the past. As the carriage moved on, she reflected on how everything led up to this day. How she had joined the Xia clan.

A decade ago, her village faced a severe drought for several months, leaving their land barren. There was no fresh water or vegetation. Because of thirst and starvation, it forced villagers to seek a new home elsewhere.

On their journey, demon wolves attacked them during the night. Her parents protected nine-year-old Luwen then. They both lost their lives first while trying to save her.

She sat helplessly between her parents' lifeless bodies, tears coursing down her cheeks relentlessly. The wolves were still alive, and the fight continued.

There was a wolf staring at her hungrily. It was huge with black matted fur and red gleaming eyes. Saliva dripped from their deadly canines.

Her body froze in fear. She couldn't move. Her breaths were coming in fast and she was hyperventilating. Her parents were gone and everybody else was fleeing. No one would care for a child like her.

Death was all she could think about.

When the matriarch's carriage passed by, it changed everything. She rescued Luwen and the survivors, bringing them into her clan to work.

Luwen, who was grieving, afraid and hungry, obeyed the matriarch and followed her. She revered her savior, obeyed her orders for years, until time and her maturity made her realize she was serving the wrong person.

The matriarch had hidden intentions. To her, saving Luwen's life was a business transaction. It was never more than that.

And thinking about wolves, a shudder ran through Luwen. Her mind strayed back to the Fire Wolves and their owner.

What kind of person was Dai Yichen, the second son of the former lord? The man who emerged from the shadows to save his clan from the war?

Would the new heir be as heartless as the matriarch?

***

As soon as the group arrived at the City of Ember ruled by the Dai clan, their people roared triumphantly.

It was overwhelming. Cheers and applause erupted from both sides as the war fighters and Luwen's carriage paraded down the street. Several flowers tossed in their direction, and one slipped through the crack of her curtained window before landing on her lap.

It was a white chrysanthemum. A flower which symbolized grief for losing their loved ones.

She clutched the flower in her hand tightly. Not long later, something flew through the window again and struck her arm.

A stone.

Someone wanted to hurt her.

If not for this carriage, they might stone her to death.

Amidst their celebratory cries, she caught harsh murmurs through the crowd. Many cursed at the matriarch and the Xia clan. They began scorning the princess—or rather, Luwen—about how her marriage during their mourning period was a taboo. It was inauspicious and would bring ill fortune into their lives.

However, this marriage was inevitable to maintain the truce.

Luwen touched her cheek, checking the bridal veil covering her lower face. Tasseled with several long, thin gold beads, it partially obscured her face, but she still felt unguarded.

She was never the center of attention, much less this much hate. Even when living with the Xia clan, she always kept herself out of sight.

Now she felt vulnerable and terrible. She had hurt people from the Dai clan during the war and deserved some of their anger.

But a part of her felt indignant too; she wasn't completely at fault here.

When the carriage entered the manor belonging to the head family, an extremely unhappy maid immediately escorted Luwen out. Dressed in her lavish bridal dress, several glowering stares from the manor's servants greeted her. When she turned around, she found her escorts with bandaged wounds. They all looked angry and exhausted.

Lost for words, she lowered her gaze to the floor silently.

A maid stepped forward, informing her that Dai Yichen was gone to get his clothes changed. She hurriedly whisked away Luwen to the main hall where the marriage bows would take place.

Several rituals were skipped for this wedding; there were no dowries for the bride's family, guests or wedding banquet. No words of congratulatory or firecrackers.

The atmosphere was stifling, and it was almost hard for her to catch her breath.

What would the Dai clan's reaction be upon learning she wasn't the Xia clan's princess?

Would they kill her?

Luwen stood before the ancestral tablets, presumably the late lords and their families. Her nerves never ceased for a moment.

An hour later, Dai Yichen finally showed up.

Luwen didn't dare to move from her spot or turn her head to look at him. She stared forward, her awareness of him heightening. From her peripheral vision, she could tell he was a head taller than her.

"First bow to heaven and earth!"

"Second bow to the parents!"

"Third bow to each other!"

On her third bow, Luwen gathered her courage to glance up at Dai Yichen.

Her breath caught in her throat. She felt startled by his young age, probably a few years older than her. With powerful, broad shoulders and a tapered waist, he wore an elegant red gown similar to hers. His fringe swept to the side, framing his right jawline, and the rest of his hair pulled back into a ponytail to reveal a devilishly handsome face. His eyes were like coal, ignited by a battle fire.

He was regal and fearsome like no man she had seen before.

However, his condition was no better than the other war fighters.

He had sustained injuries. A nasty scar, still healing, ran through his left eyebrow. His hands wrapped in white bandages, red seeping through. His face was slightly pale, his fierce brows pinched together. If he had other wounds on his body, she wouldn't know.

He wasn't looking at her face, but glaring at her feet. His hands clenched into fists. At this moment, she knew he hated everything about this marriage.

Just like everyone, he hated her.

***

A few maids escorted Luwen to her bedchamber for the rest of the night. If they were following the traditions, she would share her dinner and the night with her husband. There was a set of wine glasses on the table, where they were supposed to interlink their arms and drink to complete the nuptial ceremonial rite.

But he never came.

She sat on the bed and waited for ages, never falling asleep because of her insecurity in this unfamiliar environment. She was always on the edge, clutching her sharpest hairpin in her hand. Just in case someone would enter her room any second to claim her death.

Hours passed until it was after midnight.

When the smell of burning wood hit her nose, she knew her fear had become a reality.

The culprit had quietly thrown oil and ignited a fire at the entrance door to hinder her escape. They wanted her dead.

The flames grew slowly, creeping along the edge before reaching the wooden beams in her room. And yet, Luwen persisted in waiting, wondering if Dai Yichen, or even a servant, would appear.

But minutes passed and no one came. How was it that nobody noticed the fire and smoke from her room?

And this was when she finally understood.

Dai Yichen wasn't coming because he was unwilling to have this marriage. No one was coming to her rescue because she was the enemy's daughter. They considered her a pawn in the war; someone of no significance and disposable any time.

Anger coursed through her. If the princess didn't die from her illness, the fire would claim her life. Her death was unavoidable, just as Luwen was unable to avoid her ill fate.

Everything was unjust in this life and world. She didn't desire the war or to take part in it. It wasn't her desire to become a hostage for the enemy clan.

If there was more kindness in this world, there would be less conflict.

But humans chose to be scarier than the demons.

Luwen rose to her feet, her fists clenching by her sides. She was angry at everyone who mocked her and wished for her death.

Burn.

Burn them all.

Even if the flames didn't consume this entire manor, her wrath would.

A/N: We've finally met our male lead for this story! Will Luwen and Yichen remain as enemies forever?

What drama/movie are you guys watching right now? I'm currently halfway through Till the End of the Moon and I'm loving it! 💙

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

20.9K 578 33
Some people are more unlucky than others, Evelyn knows this more than most, after being kidnapped from her house she finds herself at the mercy of cr...
20.2K 853 19
The Life Tree has fallen. Monsters crawl from its roots and terrorise the realms they reach. In offer of protection, the Demon realm unleashed its so...
13.3K 509 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
752 61 20
There are some kids that are pressured into joining the family business early in life. Sometimes they are dragged into family meetings or brought alo...