Below the surface- YeonKai

By lonely_moa

Are you feeling nervous? Does my voice deceive you? Does my voice lead you? I only want to become something t... More

Character info and important notes
Intro- Into the terrors
Chapter 1- No time for introductions
Chapter 2- Believe ME
Chapter 3- Strangers
Chapter 4- Useless
Chapter 5- Left forgotten forever
Chapter 6- Your issue is?
Chapter 7- Who I was before
Chapter 8- A story or a lie?
Chapter 9- My rules
Chapter 10- He means what he says
Chapter 11- Don't blink
Chapter 13- Accident?
Chapter 14- To be or not to be?
Chapter 15- WHY NOT ME?
Chapter 16- All I can see is her
Chapter 17- I am his and he is mine
Chapter 18- Every Body
Chatper 19- You don't understand

Chapter 12- Just answer

116 12 26
By lonely_moa

KAI POV

Everyone seemed to have the habit of running off just when I'm about to get somewhere with anything.

It felt like I was constantly alone but at the very same time as if I were being watched from every angle.

If anyone was going to tell me anything it would surely be Yeonjun. Though he may speak in a metaphorical way that's way beyond my understanding he's the one I've learnt the most from. He would most likely be on the roof. He never seems to be in his room.

I knocked on his door twice. Everyone here knocked twice when going to see Yeonjun, I'm not sure why but it must mean something.

No response

Normally if you knock on a door and there is no answer you leave but if Yeonjun was on the roof there was no way he would hear me.

I made my way to the roof ladder, poking me head up. Indeed was Yeonjun there, sitting with his back to me staring out over the surrounding forests and distant view of the main city. It was beautiful really. It's one of the only things around here that remains a comfort.

I just stood looking, wondering if I would be noticed. I think I remember saying we shouldn't come up here unless we're asked but I needed to speak to Yeonjun for more than one reason.

"I know you're there," Yeonjun said, smiling and turning around, a cigarette puffing in his mouth.

"I'm sorry to just turn up, it's just- ugh, I just need to talk to you" I sighed, sitting myself down beside him.

"Oh no darling don't be sorry, how could I be mad at you?" Yeonjun assured, putting his half smoked cigarette between my lips and lighting himself another.

I laughed a little, hesitantly allowing smoke to fill and leave my lungs.

"Hit me with it, what's going on, want me to kill someone?" Yeonjun asked, smiling playfully.

There was a falter in his tone. Genuine yet so...wrong.

"Somethings just wrong," I remarked, laying down as I let smoke puff from my mouth.

Yeonjun followed, laying down beside him swiftly, staring up at the sky.

"Beomgyu bothering you?" Yeonjun asked.

"How did you know?" I asked back, shooting back up to be sitting once again.

"Just a lucky guess, you want to know what happened to him don't you?" Yeonjun quickly accused.

"It just seems off. He can talk but doesn't? Why would you choose not to talk?" I asked. The whole situation just made no sense at all. He clearly has something stopping him from talking but what and...why?

"You are rather interesting darling, ever had a girlfriend?" Yeonjun queried, suddenly changing the topic far from what I was asking.

"Why doesn't Beomgyu talk?" I asked, ignoring his prior statement.

"Ignoring me I see, either way, that's for him to show you" Yeonjun answered, blowing a long puff of smoke out of his mouth.

"What is so secret about his voice for god's sake?! No one ever answers anything properly around here" I asked in frustration.

"Well, not everything always has an answer you know," Yeonjun remarked swiftly.

Yeonjun definitely knew why. If anyone here was going to know it would be him. He always seemed to know everything. Getting him to answer would be another thing. No one here is direct but Yeonjun is another level of mystery. There's only one idea I've got, a risky one but the only thing I've got.

"Lovely, please, answer the question" I instructed again.

"Lovely?" Yeonjun repeated, his face half confused yet smiling.

I nodded at him, refusing to repeat what I had said, GOD how can I erase that from my memory?

"He had an accident a while back, six months maybe but I don't know what really happened, Soobin was the one who told me after all" Yeonjun finally answered.

"Poor kid" I replied, wondering what could have happened for him to have just lose his speech so suddenly.

"Don't forget that Soobin's a pathological liar, he could have very well been lying to me. I've heard him talk but he could have just been born that way" Yeonjun remarked, face contorting slightly.

"Soobin is interesting to say the least but I quite like him" I remarked.

Did I like Soobin? Yes I did, sure maybe he could be a little strange and untrustworthy but it made him no less human.

"Beomgyu hasn't fully lost his speech though, every once in a while he might say a word or two, it's a sight to see. Whether Soobin was lying about the accident would be one thing but either way his voice isn't your average" Yeonjun laughed as he crushed his cigarette into the floor of the roof.

"Hm I wonder" I said, laying back peacefully, my eyes fluttering open and closed as I looked up to the clouds.

"You never answered my question, you know. I answered yours" Yeonjun sulked.

"You answered mine to an extent, not fully" I snapped back.

"I told you everything I know. You didn't even try to answer mine" Yeonjun quickly argued.

"Your question was?" I asked, rolling my eyes subtly. If there was one thing Yeonjun was it was persistent.

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?" Yeonjun asked again

"No but I don't quite see the relevancy" I replied, frowning in confusion

Yeonjun's eyes seemed to glisten at my answer. It was as if it pleased him despite the fact that we've hardly gotten to know each other.

Correction, he's gotten to know me but I haven't gotten to know him. He had me open like a book and all he is to me is the cover that you can't judge.

"A boyfriend?" Yeonjun asked, ignoring any further conversation.

"Also a no" I answered honestly.

"Oh wow my darlings a little relationship virgin," Yeonjun teased, smiling to himself.

"You're only two years older than me, I'm not that little" I fought back. One thing for sure was I would not have him make fun of me.

I can't stand it when people make fun of me.

"Three years is long enough to have me out and working while you're meant to be in school" Yeonjun said, resuming a more serious tone.

"People seem to want to talk about school today" I huffed.

"I could get you into one around here, I know a place, a fresh start" Yeonjun offered.

"Taehyun told me that," I sighed.

"Oh? Well the offer stands. What do you say?" Yeonjun persisted.

"I'm not sure, I wasn't really built for school" I mumbled.

Yeonjun looked confused. I think his issue is a lack of human emotion or at least the understanding of it. He feels things sure, he sees other people feel things but he just doesn't understand.

"You think I was?" Yeonjun said, narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Well- I mean- Yes?" I stuttered. I couldn't tell what response he wanted from me but something told me he was after a certain answer.

He smiled, teeth poking from his lips. His smile was oddly sweet, captivating almost.

"Hm, listen to me here darling, I'll enrol you into school, you and if it's really bad I'll just take you out again. I want you to go and meet people, make friends, learn things. You wont get any of that here, everyone here is less than friends most of the time" Yeonjun explained.

"The people here seem to be friends, no? You were all playing hide and seek when I got here, I don't think you would play a game with people who you don't like who equally dont like you" I remarked. They all seemed close, potentially some more than others but still.

"Do you have your phone out here?" Yeonjun asked out of the blue.

I pulled it from my pocket, holding it to Yeonjun. I didn't know what he wanted but there must be a reason he asked.

He took it from me and pointed the camera at the sky.

"I want to take the perfect photo of that cloud," he giggled, snapping away.

He looked happy. Genuinely happy focusing in his own world as if nothing were around him.

Suddenly, the phone in his hands dropped straight down to the ground below, a smash barely audible from the rooftop.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry, I have a spare phone you can use if you want, I'll take yours into work with me tomorrow and get it fixed on my break" Yeonjun apologised quickly.

"It's just a phone, it's not like you broke my leg, though I will take that spare one you're offering, if I'm going to school I'm going to need one" I laughed.

Yeonjun descended back down the ladder and into his room. I followed after him quickly, closing the roof hatch and wardrobe door behind me.

"It's somewhere in- ah got it" Yeonjun smiled as he handed me the phone sealed in its box.

It was brand new looking, no damage, no fingerprints. I was expecting a second hand old phone but brand new. That works too.

"Are you sure, this looks new?" I asked cautiously. I was known for being a bit of a hazard. Clumsiness seemed to run in my blood.

"It's the least I can do, I did smash yours afterall, oh and here's my number in case you need it. Who knows what trouble could happen at school or even with the people around here when I'm not home" Yeonjun laughed, scribbling his number down onto a post-it note and handing it to me proudly.

"Thank you" I smiled, hugging Yeonjun for a few seconds before running off to retrieve my broken phone from outside. I heard him laugh as I left but from the few seconds of our hug I could hear one thing Yeonjun's heart racing.

I honestly didn't care that my phone was broken plus how could I be mad when Yeonjun was just having innocent fun. It was obviously an accident.

A silly accident

But still an accident

A/N

From no updates for ages to two in one week. Honestly what is wrong with me?! Anyway I hope this isn't dragging on for too long because it all starts soonnnn

Comments and votes are always appreciated :)

Lots of love from me to you <3

~Author C

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 519 16
❝ 𝐓𝐚𝐞𝐡𝐲𝐮𝐧 just shifted to a new apartment and the new apartment is haunted by a cute ghost Huening Kai. He calls 𝐁𝐞𝐨𝐦𝐠𝐲𝐮 and 𝐒𝐨𝐨𝐛𝐢...
43.2K 1.9K 33
"To kill innocent people to make a political statement is like shooting a dove to say hunting is wrong." --- In a world where using magic is a death...
239K 9.1K 40
𝗖𝗵𝗼𝗶 𝗬𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗷𝘂𝗻 𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗻𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼...
6.2K 580 28
"I really didn't expect you to be this type of a doctor. I'm really disappointed" I said looking straight into his eyes. Even saying that I could hea...