When Robins Appear (Book 3)

By tricia-joy

Book Three in The Cottage Series. - Note: If you haven't already, please read Clay's Cottage (Book 1) and Foo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six

Chapter Three

392 27 2
By tricia-joy

After Nicholas and I stepped - or rather tripped - out of the Valentine house an hour and a half later, I was feeling light-headed from the claret.

When we made our way down the steps from the verandah, I  was thankful for Nicholas' quick reflexes, grabbing my arm as I stumbled down the last step, preventing me from falling flat on my face.

I snorted, finding my clumsiness amusing. "Thanks, honey."

"You, my dear, have consumed a little too much alcohol," he stated, deciding it was in my best interest to not release my arm just yet.

"I have not," I argued. "I only had one glass."

"Ah, no. It seemed like you only had one glass as you never saw the bottom of it. Did you not see Mr. Valentine topping it up every ten minutes until I put a stop to it?"

"Oh. Whoopsie." I laughed, finding it hilarious that Mr. Valentine got me drunk. "And it's not even lunchtime yet. He is so cool. My dad would never let me-"

"Tilly!" Isabella screeched nearby, making me wince.

"God, she is so loud," I whined, tucking my head under his armpit. "Hide me, Nicholas."

"Shh," Nicholas hushed me, trying so hard to stifle his laughter.

My head popped back out from his underarm. "Oh noes. Did I ask Mr. Valentine the question that I was supposed to ask? Something about her and something else..." I trailed off, seemingly suffering from temporary memory loss.

"No, you didn't, but it was a little difficult to ask questions of any sort when he wouldn't stop talking about our wedding."

"Ugh, Mr. Valentine can be such a busybody! But, shh, don't tell him I said that."

He got to the point where he could no longer contain his laughter. "You become very honest when you're intoxicated, Matilda."

"Whatever, Nicholas," I retorted, childishly emphasising his name. "And I prefer to be called Tilly."

"I know you do. But you love it when I call you Matilda, don't you?" he asked, testing out my honest-when-drunk theory.

"I do," I answered honestly, leaning my head against his shoulder. "I love you so much, Nicholas," I added, puckering my lips and reaching up behind his neck to pull him down for a kiss. But he resisted, removing my hand from his neck, then sheepishly smiled at Isabella and Robbie, who were standing in front of us.

How long had they been there?

"Not now, darling," he said, and I pouted like a child. "We have company."

"Are you all right, Tilly?" Isabella asked. "You don't seem yourself."

"She's fine," Nicholas answered for me. "Your father may have given her a little too much claret, that's all."

Her eyebrows lifted. "Claret? At this time of day? I take it that means my father was pleased with your announcement, then?"

"He was, yes," Nicholas answered once more.

"I see." She pursed her lips and forced a smile. "That is good news for you two. I suppose Father has already made suggestions about when, where and whom should be invited to your wedding?"

"He did make a few suggestions, yes," Nicholas replied, not letting me get a word in. "But we informed him it is early days and we will make our own arrangements when we are ready."

She huffed. "And I'm sure he listened to you," she said in a sarcastic tone. She knew her father well.

I wasn't drunk enough to know she wasn't happy that Mr. Valentine took our news so well. She was jealous.

But I was too drunk to not have a filter on my mouth. "Since when did this become a competition, Isabella?"

She shifted her focus to me. "I'm sorry?"

"You're upset that Mr. Valentine was happy about our engagement."

She folded her arms across her chest. "I never said that."

"I can hear it in your voice, see it in your body language."

"Matilda, don't say anything you'll regret," Nicholas muttered.

But I couldn't stop. It all just came flowing out. "This is an exciting time for us and you don't want people to be happy? What is wrong with you?"

"You're wrong, I-I never-"

"You're jealous of us! Jealous you two can't have what we have!"

Robbie stepped towards me, hands out in front of him in a defensive gesture. "Tilly, calm down, you're making a scene."

We ignored him, then Isabella stepped forward, standing tall and confident. "Fine, maybe I am jealous. Jealous you two have the perfect relationship, can do as you choose. You're lucky you don't have a father breathing down your neck, telling you how to live your life!" Then her jaw dropped, and she slapped a hand over her mouth.

"I can't believe you just said that," I growled between my teeth. I wanted to smack the spoilt brat across the face, but Nicholas still had a grip on my arm.

"I am so sorry, Nicholas," Isabella said, more softly and calmer than her previous outburst. "That is not what I meant at all. It came out wrong. Please forgive me."

Nicholas dismissed her apology with a wave of his free hand. "It's fine, Isabella. I know you didn't mean what you said."

"I think the ladies need some time apart," suggested Robbie, taking Isabella's arm.

"I agree, Robbie. Please fetch Ace and Teddy. It's time for us to head home."

Robbie nodded at his request. "Right away."

I felt Nicholas tug on my arm and I resisted, glaring at the back of Isabella as she and Robbie walked away.

She was supposed to be my friend. Why couldn't she be happy for us?

"Matilda, this way."

I gave in, and we slowly walked along the driveway in the opposite direction to Isabella and Robbie.

"Anna would've been happy for us, you know. Even if we became engaged before her and Brad. She still would've been happy for us."

He released my arm and slid his hand around my waist, resting it on my hip. "I know, darling."

"I miss Anna so much."

"I know that, too," he said softly.

His touch was comforting, but it wasn't enough to ease the queasiness in my stomach. The alcohol, another painful reminder of the loss of a best friend, and the possible loss of a new best friend was too much to bear. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Come sit down on the garden seat."

We strolled over to the concrete seat and I plonked down on it, leaning into Nicholas for support. I closed my eyes, relishing the warm midday sun on my face, and the touch of Nicholas' fingers pushing strands of loose hair behind my ear. My anger and sadness were subsiding, however, the nausea was not.

After stumbling to the nearest bush, I fell to my knees and emptied the contents of my stomach into it.

"Oh, darling," I heard Nicholas say sympathetically, rushing up behind me and rubbing my back in support. He waited patiently for me to finish, then I plonked my backside on the dirty ground.

"I'm never drinking claret again," I declared, then accepted the neatly folded handkerchief he was offering me.

"I will be having a stern talking to to Mr. Valentine the next time I see him."

"No, no. It's all right. He was excited about our news and wanted to celebrate. I kept drinking because I didn't want to be rude. At least somebody was happy about our engagement."

Nicholas sighed. "I hate to see you and Isabella fighting."

"Nicholas, I know I said I was okay with it, but I don't want to move back in here. I want to stay at Clay's Cottage with you. I'm no longer the children's governess and I can't stand to look at Isabella right now. I'll be miserable."

"We can talk about this later when you're sober. You're not in the right frame of mind to be making decisions right now. Are you well enough to stand?"

"Tilly? Are you all right?" I didn't even hear Robbie return with Ace and the buggy.

"I'm fine," I whined, answering the questions of both concerned men as I stumbled to my feet.

"Isabella is quite upset about what she said to you, Nicholas. She apologises profusely."

"Tell her not to think anymore of it. I'm sure we've all said things we didn't mean when we were angry. I, for one, said a lot of hurtful remarks before I met Matilda."

Robbie nodded. "Isabella will come around. She's angry at her father but is taking it out on you two."

"Perhaps the ladies can have a more civilised talk tomorrow when we return?" Nicholas suggested.

Robbie's eyebrows lifted. "Oh, you two are returning so soon?"

"Ha, yes, we didn't get the chance to tell you the news, did we? Matilda is moving back into the Valentine home until we wed."

Robbie's eyes lit up, and I was reminded that I would at least have him to talk to if I moved back. We became good friends when I lived here for two months before returning to my own time. "Why, that is certainly unexpected but wonderful news."

"Apparently, us living together before marriage is considered scandalous in this time, and Mr. Valentine doesn't want us to ruin the good family name," I explained with a little annoyance in my voice. "Pfft."

"All right, Matilda, I think that's enough out of you for one morning. You wouldn't want to say something you shouldn't. Time to go."

Robbie stepped aside. "I will see you two tomorrow, then. Have a safe trip home."

Nicholas bobbed his head. "Thank you, Robbie."

I moved towards the buggy but then stopped, feeling like something was missing. "Wait. Where's my dog?"

Robbie glanced around the property looking for him, then sighed impatiently. "The children were supposed to be bringing him back to the buggy. I'll go get him."

"While you're doing that, Robbie, I'll attempt to get Matilda up into the buggy without her breaking her neck," Nicholas said, only half-joking.

* * *

I awoke suddenly, not sure what day it was or even the time. I lifted my head, glancing around Nicholas' dark bedroom.

My memories returned; Nicholas had brought me home after the Valentine visit and insisted I sleep until I was sober. He tucked me in, kissed me on the forehead, drew across the curtain and closed the door quietly behind him.

I still had no idea how many hours ago that was.

Stretching out my legs, I felt a solid lump at the end of the bed. Teddy had joined me at some point during my sleep, deciding to take a long nap himself. The trip and children had worn him out.

After climbing out of bed, I shifted across the curtain to peek out the window. I could just make out the tip of the sun sinking below the horizon. I had been asleep quite a few hours, then.

My stomach growled in protest that I had not eaten since breakfast. "Do you want some dinner, Teddy? Let's go see if your daddy is preparing us something, hm?" His head lifted at the word 'dinner', but it wasn't enough to make him shift from his cosy spot on the bed. "Fine then, lazy bones. Just come out when you're ready then," I said to him, as his big brown eyes followed me across the room and watched me open the bedroom door.

I saw Nicholas in the kitchen, and he had turned his head at the sound of the bedroom door opening.

"Well, look who has risen. Feeling any better?"

"Much," I replied, making my way through the living room and into the kitchen. "A little headache, though."

"Sit down, darling, and I'll make you some tea."

"No-no, I'm fine. Thank you, though."

"I'm just about to start dinner," he said, gesturing towards the vegetables laid out on the kitchen bench. "You haven't eaten all day."

"I know. My stomach was complaining... very loudly. Let me help chop."

I stepped forward but he blocked my path. "No, I can do it. You relax."

He turned to face the counter and placed several carrots on the wooden chopping board.

"I don't mind, Nicholas. Besides, we're about to be married. I feel I should be contributing to the household. I still feel like a guest in this house."

He stopped what he was doing. "You do?" I nodded and he turned to face me. "I didn't mean for you to feel that way, darling. This is your house, too. I-I'm used to doing things myself, I suppose. I have been since I was eighteen. It will... take a little while to break the habit. Besides," he smiled a little shyly, taking my left hand and running his thumb over my engagement ring. "I love doing things for you."

I smiled at that and placed my right hand over his. "I realise that and I appreciate it. But will you please just let me peel and chop the carrots?"

He thought about it for a moment before answering. "All right, I'll allow it. But only if you're feeling better."

"I'm fine," I reassured him.

Satisfied with my answer, he stepped aside and allowed me into the kitchen. I picked up a sharp knife off of the cutting board and carefully used it to start peeling a carrot. I could feel Nicholas intently watching me and I tried to ignore him, focusing on my task.

"No, I'm sorry. I can't allow this," he said in a firm tone.

I sighed, put the knife and carrot down, then turned to him. "And why not? Am I doing it wrong?"

"No." At first I was confused, then a smile crept on his face. "You're just too much of a distraction, that's all." He closed the gap between us and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Dinner will never get made with you in the kitchen."

"Oh, so you're blaming me?"

"Mm-hm. It's your fault I can't keep my hands off you."

Just as he was tickling my neck with his lips, we heard a knock at the door.

He abruptly stopped, pulled back and looked at me, raising an eyebrow in question.

I shrugged in response. "It's almost dark out," I said. "Who would be visiting at this hour?"

"I have no clue." He stepped away from me and made his way through the living room.

I started to follow, then hesitated, wondering if I needed to grab something to use as a weapon. I decided against it.

"Maybe Mr. Valentine couldn't wait until tomorrow to tell us more great ideas about our wedding?" I joked.

I heard him chuckle as he strode through the foyer to the front door.

I waited at the end of the foyer, craning my neck with curiosity to see who our mystery visitor was.

"Robbie?" I heard Nicholas say as he opened the door.

"I-I apologise profusely for the intrusion at this hour, sir," Robbie said, his voice a little shaky.

"It's all right, Robbie. Is something the matter?"

"I believe so. I-I mean, I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't help but worry."

"Goodness, man, come inside and tell me what's wrong. You're shaking."

Robbie stepped inside and removed his hat, then Nicholas closed the door behind him.

He looked terrible. I went to him and took his arm, hoping to guide him to the fireplace to warm up.

"Robbie, what has happened?" I asked, as we took small steps towards the living room.

"It's Isabella. Sh-She's gone."

I glanced up at Nicholas, then back at Robbie.

"Gone where?"

"I don't know. She took a horse and buggy about an hour after you two left. She didn't say where she was going." He looked at me, eyes wide and full of worry. "Matilda, she hasn't returned."

"I'm sure she's fine. Here, take a seat and start from the beginning. Tell us what happened after we left this morning."

Robbie and I sat down on the sofa, Nicholas choosing to stay standing, listening intently to what Robbie had to say.

"After you two left, I found her in the garden, pacing back and forth. She was still upset about the 'father' comment. I tried to convince her that it's all right, and that Nicholas is not angry about it. But she wouldn't listen. She had worked herself up into quite a state; ranting about her father and how he never lets her make her own decisions. And then..." He swallowed hard, pausing before continuing. "She said she hates him and she'll never forgive him, and she wants us to run away and elope and she doesn't care if she never sees him again." Robbie looked up at Nicholas, then back down to me. "I couldn't believe what I was hearing. For her to say that she hates her father. I-I couldn't do it, I..." He looked down at his hands resting in his lap, struggling to finish his story. But he continued, voice lowered to a whisper. "I couldn't lie to her anymore. So I..."

"You what?" I encouraged him. "What happened?"

"I told her the truth. I told her it wasn't her father who was keeping us from being married." I glanced up at Nicholas and I could tell he was just as confused as I was. If Mr. Valentine wasn't the one holding off on them getting married, then who was?

Oh no.

I reached for his hand and held it in support, reminding him that we were there for him. No matter what he had to say.

He turned to me and I could see tears in his eyes, so desperate to fall.

"You can say it, Robbie," I whispered. "Who is keeping you two from being married?" But I was sure I already knew.

"Me. Tilly, I am having second thoughts about us getting married. And now she has run away and it's all my fault."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 1.5K 10
Life goes on... p.s. Let's say I don't read the third book, okay? So, all these short stories happened after the second book. Enjoy! ❤
14.2K 599 50
This is Book 2! If you haven't read the first, I advise you to go read it. You're gonna be really confused if you skip the first.
91.7K 5.3K 29
[COMPLETE] Seeking inspiration for her next historical romance novel, Tilly Fletcher visits a mysterious 19th century Tasmanian cottage, abandoned su...
Castles By Mighty

Fanfiction

31.8K 978 74
Book two of the Herosteve series on my account. Read the first one before this one. Then this will make more sense. Hope you enjoy the series :3.