Changes and Chances

By abe6ail__

Yeji and Ryujin met on a dating app. One is only looking for a past time, the other a genuine connection. How... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Unsolicited promotion lol

Chapter 37

581 20 7
By abe6ail__

Exactly two weeks after hanging out with Yeji at Mapo-gu, Ryujin found herself standing discreetly beside the entrance of the museum – looking out for the cat-eye's arrival.

She's hosting a big open house exhibit today, and it features some of the works of the biggest artists in Seoul - including hers. She has spent a lot of time in the preparation and even had a few sleepless nights to choose and perfect the pieces that she'll include.

In between, she would get into conversations with Yeji on the phone. She would call the cat-eye to ask for her opinion about certain colors, how she interprets unfinished pieces, and would even make excuses to send her messages asking for song recommendations that could keep her awake during long nights of finishing her art.

She sent a group invite for the three but made sure to bring it up specifically with Yeji during one of their conversations.

The cat-eye promised to make time and come.

Hence, Ryujin's growing excitement as the event's date nears and her, now, budding anxiety since Yeji hasn't arrived yet.

"Boss, we'll start in 15. You might want to take your place." Her assistant approached her for the nth time.

Just as she was about to walk back inside, she saw her - a hint of panic in her eyes as she checked her watch. Despite that, she still looked dazzling as ever. She was wearing a black and white dress accentuated by buckle details that screamed artsy and edgy.

Ryujin had almost forgotten how eye-catching the cat eye could be, especially when she's dressed up - evident by the many heads turning to glance at her as she walked past the flock of people gathered outside.

"You're just in time", the brunette amusingly whispered to herself as she turned back to take her place beside the stage.

On the other side of the room where the three were seated, Yeji was being teased and questioned as if she's in the hot seat.

Her best friends have been asking her non-stop questions, trying to pry at whatever's going on with her and a certain brunette.

She isn't one to tell stories but apparently, Ryujin was so exhausted from painting the other day and accidentally fell asleep as she was waiting for Lia to fetch her - her phone out in the open and Yeji's name was seen on the notification bar as it lit up.

Since they started talking again, both of them seemed to decide individually not to tell their friends about the constant exchanges that they've been having.

I mean, there isn't anything to tell... yet? At least that was what Yeji was thinking. She didn't want to assume anything or to get the wrong impressions, and possibly hurt herself at it. And the brunette seemingly shared the same sentiments.

"She hasn't even greeted us when we arrived, haven't walked over to ask how we're doing", Lia said in a knowing tone.

Yeji only looked at her confused.

"Because she was busy guarding the door from the side, waiting for you to arrive."

The cat-eye couldn't help the small smile that formed on her lips.

Was she really? She thought to herself.

"You know, for two people who already dated each other before, both of you surely move really slooow." She prolonged the last syllable to emphasize it.

Chaeryeong only chuckled at the remark.

"Well we don't- I don't know what you're talking about." Yeji started.

"We're not trying to get back to where we left off, if that's what you mean, Lia-ah. We're just trying to be decent towards each other. Be friends. It's more like... starting over."

Yeji smirked at the smiling duo beside her.

"And not just with her. With both of you, too. Although our progress was quicker."

She said the last sentence silently, as if she's contemplating about it herself.

"Well, we didn't date you, after all." It was Chaeryeong's turn to speak.

Yeji was about to protest again when the program started.

They all whipped her head towards the podium and saw Ryujin, smiling towards the crowd as she was gripping the cue cards on her left hand. She looked so put together and it was obvious that the crowd was very pleased to see her.

She's wearing a suit and Yeji could not take her eyes off her.

Wow.

The brunette found her eyes and smiled widely, the cat-eye smiled back almost immediately. She could sense her companion throwing mocking looks at her but she didn't care.

It felt nice to be at the receiving end of that smile - and today, she'll bask in the glory of it.

After the auction and the mini-program, the guests were allowed to roam freely inside the museum to check out the displayed pieces and to socialize.

The three decided to wait by the side of the stage to congratulate Ryujin on the successful event. As they were approaching the brunette, however, someone else beat them to it. They halted as they saw a woman make her way towards her - all smiley and friendly.

Ryujin greeted her politely but the woman didn't seem so satisfied with the distance so she grabbed onto the brunette's arm casually and pulled her close - chuckling while she's at it.

Lia huffed and started to move forward. "Here we go again."

Chaeryeong just chuckled. She saw the confused expression on Yeji's face and offered an explanation.

"Ryujin's an eye candy in the industry. She attracts a lot of attention during these events - most especially from the women of arts. Like that one."

She nodded towards the brunette's direction. "Even before when she... wasn't single, women would try and get her attention every time she went off stage after hosting."

"And add that to the fact that she's a really good artist, too."

Yeji paused and tried to absorb what her best friend was telling her as she was watching Lia's attempt to snatch Ryujin from the woman.

Surprisingly, the woman was persistent and wouldn't let go of the brunette's arm, and it was evident that Lia was losing her patience. Ryujin also looked very uncomfortable and would rather bury herself under the floor instead of staying where she was standing.

As if some spirit had possessed Yeji, she started to walk towards them with a slightly clenched jaw and gripped the woman's arm without a second thought.

Ryujin was surprised to see the cat-eye almost smiling eerily at the woman who now has her full attention.

Yeji clicked her tongue and directed her gaze towards the brunette.

"Tsk. Ryuddaeng-aaah..." she dragged the last syllable to emphasize that they know each other well enough to talk casually.

"Are you being bothered here? What's the hold up? I've been waiting for a while for you."

Ryujin's eyes almost bulged out of surprise, especially since Yeji was also speaking with such an endearing tone.

The brunette could not form words and felt the woman beside her stiffen with the cat eye's remark.

"Uh..." Ryujin was at a loss for words and was surprised when the woman spoke up.

"Who are you??"

Yeji laughed bitterly.

"You'd be surprised to know how mad I get whenever people ask me that in front of the woman you're holding hostage."

She paused.

"Now let go of her before one of us gets embarrassed in front of all these people. You're free to guess who."

Yeji smiled at her again.

The woman looked annoyed but finally let go of Ryujin's arm and scurried away from the two.

The brunette finally let go of the breath that she's been holding as she looked towards Yeji - who's now seemingly back in her normal, calmed state.

"Oh my god, Yeji-ahhhh" it was Lia who interrupted the silence. She moved aside when Yeji entered the scene and was in the front seat watching the whole spectacle. Chaeryeong followed her soon after.

Yeji now turned red with all the comments and felt shy about what she did. Ryujin didn't offer any comments but was smiling towards the cat eye during all the teasing.

Soon after, the three decided to leave Ryujin to arrange everything backstage as they checked out the open buffet.

After grabbing some snacks and after checking out half of the museum, Yeji made an excuse to head home and "rest". But in reality, it was because of the still budding embarrassment from the earlier scene. There was no way she'd be able to face Ryujin again today.

When people started to go home and the museum's almost empty, Ryujin went to look for her friends. She almost missed the two waving her to walk over the corner bench as she was so focused on locating a specific cat-eye - but had no luck.

Has she gone home already?

She checked her phone for a message from her but didn't see any.

"She said she didn't get enough sleep last night and had to go home early and rest."

Ryujin was startled by Lia's voice.

Right.

She's walking towards her two best friends.

"Ah w- that's okay. It was enough that she came."

She couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that she wasn't even able to talk to the cat-eye properly during the event.

The two women were eyeing her sheepishly.

"Well if you're worried about her, pay her a visit."

"She did look a little tired earlier." Lia said, trying to sound innocent. The redhead was shrugging beside her.

*

Yeji just got her night routine done when the doorbell rang.

She peeled off the cleansing mask and walked over to the door's camera.

She almost jumped off from where she was standing when she saw a familiar brunette waiting by the door, a plastic bag in hand. She must've been unaware of the camera as she kept on pacing lightly and mouthing to herself as if she's trying to calm down.

Yeji quickly put her hair up in a bun and proceeded to the door.

She took a deep breath, muttered a "here goes nothing" and opened the door.

Ryujin was surprised but smiled, anyway, when she saw Yeji in her sleeping clothes.

The cat-eye was wearing an oversized button up and a wide leg cotton pants that made her look small.

The brunette paused and smiled at her.

"You look cute."

Yeji blushes slightly.

"But sorry for barging in without notice. The girls mentioned that you weren't feeling well so I thought I'd stop by to give you soup from my favorite place."

She held up the huge paper bag and grinned towards Yeji.

The cat eye almost jumped to hug her.

Almost.

Instead, she stopped herself and took a deep breath.

"T-that's so thoughtful."

She paused.

"Do you want to come in?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1K 20
University student Hwang Yeji finds herself in a fake relationship with rising Kpop soloist - Shin Ryujin. One problem? Yeji and Ryujin are exes. Ry...
1.5K 54 11
Yeji and Ryujin are K-pop idols from a girl group called ITZY. One of them is head over heels for the other, while the other is trying to push their...
104K 4.2K 37
Ryujin is your average almost 18 year old. She's craving that excitement and freedom that comes with being older and is looking for more in life. Her...
90.7K 3.8K 18
Y/n a new student agrees to a strange deal from a random guy on the first day. And ever since then, everything went downhill. YEJI X FEM!READER HIGH...