Annabeth Chase the Triwizard...

By AsexualConfusion

Annabeth was expecting a normal end to summer. She was expecting to end the day with Percy and wait for her f... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Author's Note

Chapter Nineteen

2.7K 96 17
By AsexualConfusion

The hallways were a nightmare the next few days. Boys wouldn't stop staring at Annabeth, and though none had asked her yet, she knew it was only a matter of time. She also knew what she would do to anyone who asked.

Classes were so full of excited students that some of the teachers had entirely given up. Instead of learning, everyone was free to discuss the Ball and who they were going to ask and what they were going to wear.

Only a few classes, namely Snape's and McGonagall's, were still teaching. There was only a week left until winter break, which meant homework was being assigned in droves. Annabeth had taken to doing hers alongside Vera, if nothing else to make sure her friend actually did it.

The last week of term passed quickly, but the week before the ball didn't. All anyone would talk about was the Yule Ball.

The castle was being decorated heavily for the holidays, too. Wreaths wrapped around and icicles hung from every banister, ice sculptures dotted the hallways, and the armor in the halls had been enchanted to sing carols every time someone walked by. Twelve pine trees stood around the Great Hall, each decorated with different magical things; glowing holly berries, golden owls that chirped and dropped twigs wrapped in ribbon on Annabeth's plate, and crystalized bubbles that shone the favorite color of whoever was nearest.

Annabeth wasn't planning on asking anyone. She figured, worst come to worst, she would go along and stab anyone Snape chose for her. Writing to Percy was no help, because he said to ask someone just for the ball and it would be fine. Annabeth knew Percy wasn't the jealous type, but she still didn't want to dance with anyone but him.

So Annabeth, who wasn't one to give up, wrote to both Chiron and Hecate, explaining the idea she had and asking them to help out. She got replies almost immediately, both agreeing to the plan.

Now that that dilemma was dealt with, Annabeth went to the library to try and solve another one.

She couldn't figure out what the egg meant, and until she did it would always be in the back of her mind, tugging at her thoughts. She figured the library would have a section of books on various magical creatures, and she was right.

Annabeth was pulling a book off the shelf to read the back of it when a voice called her name.

"Annabeth!"

Hermione was sitting at a nearby table strewn with books. She waved Annabeth over, which is when Annabeth noticed Hermione's deep blush and her eyes shifting to the retreating back of one Viktor Krum.

"Did he ask you?" Annabeth whispered (Madam Pince had ears like a bat), rushing over and sitting down.

"He did!" Hermione whispered back, blushing harder and grinning. "I was thinking it would be someone else, but he's so sweet!"

"Wait a second." Annabeth had just noticed something. "Your teeth are smaller. Smaller than they were before Malfoy's curse."

Hermione grinned harder. "You're the first person to notice! Madam Pomfrey was shrinking them, and she told me to stop when they were back to normal, and I just let her go a bit longer! Isn't it great?"

"Your teeth were fine before," Annabeth said. "But it's amazing what magic can do."

"It is! Speaking of, have you figured out your egg yet?"

"I'm working on it. I don't have it yet, but hopefully it's only a matter of time."

"That's better than Harry," Hermione huffed. "He's refusing to even think about it! He's just got it up in his dorm, ignoring it."

Annabeth furrowed her brow. "Has he opened it?"

"Once. And he's not trying to figure it out!" Hermione shook her head. "Enough about that. Have you been asked to the ball yet?"

"No, thank the gods," Annabeth said.

"Don't you have to open the ball with a dance?"

"Yes, but hopefully it won't be with anyone from here. I'm working it out."

They continued to talk about the ball, what they were wearing, what it would be like. Eventually, Madam Pince kicked them out for being too loud, so they went to the courtyard, where they found Vera and Daisy.

"Hey!" Daisy said when she saw them, walking over with Vera in tow. "Hermione, right?" when Hermione nodded, Daisy continued. "I'm Daisy. This is Vera."

"Hey," Vera said.

"Are you excited?" Daisy asked excitedly. "The ball is all my dormmates can talk about! I can't wait. Do you know what you're wearing?"

"Raise your voice a little louder, love," Vera said, grinning and kissing Daisy's cheek. "I don't think she can tell you're excited."

"Oh, I have this gorgeous periwinkle dress," Hermione (who was clearly very excited to have a group of girls to talk to) said. "And these lovely heels, and I'm going to try my hand at makeup for the ball, too. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair, though, it's uncontrollable."

"Did someone say uncontrollable hair?"

The girls turned around to see Freddie, standing behind them and looking very excited. Hermione raised her hand slightly, looking surprised. Freddie grinned and took a step forward.

"May I?"

"Um... yes?"

Freddie ran her fingers through Hermione's frizzy hair, examining it.

"I know just the thing!" Freddie exclaimed, snapping her fingers and stepping back. "Sleekeasy's Hair Potion! It's perfect for taming frizz and calming bush, and it makes your hair really nice and silky. Just brush it through your hair after you shower, then blow dry it and you're done."

"Thank you!" Hermione said. "I've tried other products, but none of them do much. Are you sure it works?"

"It's made specifically for hard to control hair," Freddie said. "I think it would work perfectly for you. I have some in my dorm for emergencies. I can go get it if you want."

"That would be amazing. Thank you so much."

"It's not a problem. I'll get it to you tonight. Meet by the grand staircase after dinner?"

"That works. Thank you again. So what will you be wearing?"

"Oh my god, I have the most amazing dress. It's forest green, it has a sweetheart neckline, off the shoulders, it has a full skirt. And i'm going to be doing these two's—" Freddie pointed at Annabeth and Vera, "—hair for the ball."

"What?"

"I did not agree to that."

"You agreed when you were sorted into Slytherin, now shush. Oh, and get your hair ideas ready, you're going to need to pick one out from my book."

"Okay?"

"Okay. Yes. Say yes."

"You'll have to kill me first."

"Vera."

"Ughhhh, fine!"

The conversation continued. Vera described the dress robes she had gotten, and Daisy and Annabeth kept their dresses surprises. They moved on, and the topic shifted to the Triwizard Tournament and what the second task might be. The Slytherin girls and Hermione had all heard the egg's screams, and they described it to Daisy, who said it sounded like her father when the tea kettle exploded.

***

The day of the ball, Annabeth got her first persistent ask. A few people had asked her over the past few days, but she had turned them down and they left. This time it was a different story.

She was on the grounds wrapped in her surprisingly comfortable cloak, sketching by the lake and trying to figure out what to do that night, when David Quinn from Ravenclaw walked over. Annabeth had never liked David. He had a younger brother in Annabeth's year, Hugo, who was always talking about what a jerk his older brother was.

"What is it?" Annabeth asked, already knowing what was coming.

"Hey," David Quinn said. "You know, you're really hot. Do you want to go to the ball with me? I'm really fun to be with"

"No, thank you."

"Are you sure?" David said, raising an eyebrow and pushing his luck. "I've been told I'm an excellent dancer, in more than one field."

"I said no."

"Well, come on." David grabbed her arm, which was it for Annabeth. "Recons—"

He had to stop talking then, because he had just had a fist shoved into his stomach.

"Don't touch me."

"You b—"

"Do you want to test me further? Get out of here or my knee will be going somewhere a little lower than your stomach."

David ran.

"Well, it's nice to see you're taking care of yourself."

Annabeth whirled around. She knew that voice.

Percy stood at the edge of the forbidden forest, shivering in the cold and with a suitcase at his side.

"Oh my gods!" Annabeth yelled, running over to him. She threw her arms around him, taking in the familiar feeling of being in his arms. She drew back and kissed him, smiling against his cold lips. Percy tightened his hold on her, kissing her back.

"How did you get here?" Annabeth asked, leaning her forehead against his.

"Hold on a second."

Percy adjusted his hold, bracing his legs. Annabeth realized what he was trying to do a second later and laughed.

"Put your arm here," she corrected him, moving his arm to the right spot and adjusting his stance with her arms still around him. "Use your shoulder."

"Got it."

Percy turned to the side and attempted to judo flip Annabeth. He didn't complete the move, and somehow they both ended up on the ground, side by side and laughing their heads off. Percy took her hand, pressing it to his lips.

"Gods, I missed you."

"Don't even start, Seaweed Brain. It's been months for me. Come over here."

She drew closer to him and brought him under her cloak, where he hugged her until he stopped shivering.

"Come on," she said, kissing him again. "Let's get inside."

***

"You're taller than me again!"

The comment was so unexpected that Annabeth burst out laughing again. They were inside, and Annabeth was showing Percy all the sights of the castle.

"Get used to it, Seaweed Brain," she said. "It's going to be like this for however long you're staying for."

"For a whole week?! I have to live like this?! And then again in a few days?!"

"A few days?"

"Yeah," Percy said as they stopped walking near a window. "Well, i guess a few days for me. Hecate said for you it would be February twenty fourth."

"That's the day of the second task," Annabeth said, tilting her head. That seemed odd. "I guess she's letting you watch."

"I get to watch you kick everyone's butts?" Percy said excitedly. "Yes."

"Hey! Annabeth!"

Freddie was running down the hall. She skidded to a stop when she reached Annabeth and Percy, doubling over and out of breath.

"I've been looking everywhere for you!" she panted. She glanced at Percy. "Who are you? No, I don't care. Annabeth, we have to get ready! The ball is in three hours! If you don't come with me, Annabeth, I swear..."

Annabeth didn't want to leave Percy so soon, but Freddie had that look in her eyes, like she would drag Annabeth if she had to.

"Can you find somewhere to get dressed?" Annabeth asked Percy, who was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. "There's a bathroom down the hall if you want to use that. Do you remember the way to the Entrance Hall? I can write instructions for you if you—

"Annabeth." Percy took her hands. "I'll find it. Go get ready. I'll see you there."

"I love you." Annabeth hurriedly kissed Percy, squeezed his hand, and allowed Freddie to pull her along.

***

"Okay, ladies," Freddie said, standing on her bed with her hands on her hips. "I want dresses hanging on your curtain rods for wrinkle inspection, I want everyone to hit the showers and use the soap and razors I set out for you all, and I want you out of there in twenty. Got it?"

"Sir, yes, sir!" Vera said, saluting.

"Good! Vera, Annabeth, you take first showers! You have twenty minutes! Go!"

Vera sprinted to the bathroom, Annabeth following. This was just like morning boot camp at camp half-blood, except it was for ball prep and not demigod training. Their bathroom had two shower stalls. Annabeth took the left one, since it had better water pressure.

"Screw you, Annabeth," Vera said passively, pulling the door closed on the right stall.

Annabeth kept her shower short, wanting to see Percy again. She shampooed her hair, then washed it out and put in the conditioner. She let that sit in her hair while she used the body wash Freddie had left, then shaved and washed the remaining soap off. Then came her favorite part; washing the conditioner out of her hair. Freddie had left it out, which meant her hair was silkier than she's ever felt it as the water ran through it.

Annabeth got out before Vera and wrapped a towel around herself. As soon as she left the bathroom to get her robe, Freddie was there, holding it out. Annabeth laughed and retreated back into the bathroom to put it on.

"Perfect," Freddie said. "Okay, Pansy, hit the showers! Twenty minutes! Annabeth, take this, find the style you want."

Freddie shoved a book into Annabeth's arms. Upon opening it, she found it was full of moving pictures of models wearing different hairstyles. Annabeth already knew which one she wanted, so she flipped through the pages until she found it and then set it down, grabbing a brush.

"Vera!" Freddie's voice came from the bathroom, along with the sound of her pounding on the shower door. "You're five minutes over! Get out!"

Freddie came back out and looked at the page Annabeth had flipped to, then took the entire page out of the book.

"Ooh, I've never done that one before. It's going to go great with your dress. Vera! Get the hell out of there or I will drag you out!"

"Holy shit, Freddie! I'm out!"

"Good! Millicent! Go! Twenty minutes!"

"When are you going to shower, Freddie?" Annabeth asked while Freddie used her wand to separate Annabeth's hair into sections and dumped a bag of hair curlers on her bed.

"After Pansy. Keep your head still. Vera, take this book and pick the style you want."

Annabeth kept as still as she could while Freddie rolled some of Annabeth's hair into curlers and wrapped some of it into smaller curlers that she left hanging.

Pansy walked out of the bathroom in her green and silver robe.

"Okay, Pansy, take the book when Vera's done with it and choose a style, then brush your hair," Freddie said, picking up her robe. "Tell Millicent to do the same when she comes out. Annabeth, don't touch your hair. Vera, you either. Actually, Vera, don't even touch your head."

Freddie gave them all a little glare before she disappeared into the bathroom.

"You'd think we were preparing for war," Vera said, settling herself on her bed. "Annabeth, you look glamorous in those curlers."

"Thanks," Annabeth said. "I feel like I have an afro."

"You would rock an afro," Pansy said, attempting to run a brush through her hair. "But I don't think you have the hair for it. Are you going to brush your hair, Vera?"

"I don't think so."

"Oh my god," Pansy said. "Your hair's going to dry like that if you don't brush it. Annabeth?"

"Yeah, I got it. Vera, come here."

Vera groaned, but she walked over to Annabeth anyway, grabbing a brush. Just then, Millicent walked out of the bathroom in her robe, short wet hair dripping.

"Pick a style and brush your hair," Pansy said, holding out Freddie's book. "Freddie's orders."

"Can't defy Freddie," Millicent said. She walked over and grabbed the book, flipping through the pages.

They spent a few minutes like that, brushing hair and chatting about random topics. It had been a long time since Annabeth had had a group of girls to just be a girl with, and she had to admit it felt good.

"Okay!" Freddie burst out of the bathroom, her hair somehow already brushed. "Millicent, keep looking through the book, Annabeth, get over here and be my assistant while your hair dries, and Pansy, if you could blow dry my hair while I work on Vera, that would be great. Chop chop, people!"

Annabeth helped Freddie hold pieces of Vera's hair while Freddie styled it into an insanely intricate bun and Pansy blow dried Freddie's hair. When that was done, Freddie styled Millicent's hair, since it was the shortest and would be faster. After that, Freddie carefully curled Pansy's hair around various kinds of curlers. All of that took about an hour, so Annabeth's hair had dried by then.

"Okay, hold still, Annabeth," Freddie said, sitting Annabeth down on the edge of her bed. "Pansy, come here while your hair dries."

Pansy helped Freddie with Annabeth's hair, which took a while. Annabeth held still with all the tugging, and when it was finally done Freddie held up two mirrors so Annabeth could see.

"Oh, wow," Annabeth said, turning her head to the side. "Freddie, you are amazing."

"Thanks." Freddie muttered a spell under her breath, pointing her wand at Annabeth's hair. "Now let it set. Millicent, a little help?"

Freddie went over to the mirror in the corner of the room and started styling her own hair, Millicent holding pieces when asked. Then Pansy pulled out her makeup kit and did her own makeup, then went over to Annabeth.

"No crazy chemicals, it's all natural, I promise," she said, pulling out a brush. "Just a light layer?"

"Only a little bit," Annabeth said.

"Thanks. You next, Millicent. Then you, Freddie, and then Vera."

"Touch me with that and I'll break the window."

The girls all laughed, glancing at the window that was all that held back the lake.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

641K 20.2K 42
"I know what you are, Percy Jackson, Half-Blood Prince of the Sea." --- Percy, Annabeth, Nico and Will are thrown back into the Wizarding world for...
470K 13.7K 58
"So... Thalia... why are you even on this quest again?" "I'm here to kill a dragon." "Oh... that's... nice." Come join the adventure Percy, Annabeth...
116K 7K 58
"And I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand, when everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who...
2.4K 95 11
DISCLAIMER: this book is discontinued!! " So I have to go all the way to some fancy boarding school in England to protect a wizard? " " He's your bro...