In the Dark of Knight

By jawncuffies

"What is the purpose of Marriage if not for love?" Annmarie couldn't answer her own question as her servants... More

UPGRADES PPL!!!!
1.
2
3
5

4

3.1K 122 16
By jawncuffies

We walked in silence for what seemed like half of an hour. I couldn't force my lips to part and say a single word as I replayed the recent events that transpired.

On my wedding day, I was kidnapped by two strange men straight from the chapel then rescued by the true prince of Driscoll who took their lives then sent a threat and insult back to my father.

My eyes subtly dropped down to the prince who stared ahead. The sound of his armor and the hooves of his horse were the only things keeping us from complete silence. I was grateful for it. It gave me time to think.

How am I to be surprised at the death of the thief? Did I not have my own plans to kill him? Well.. I knew I couldn't exactly kill him. I simply would prefer to run away and live in the forest like a nymph.

I shook my head at the idea of me surviving off the land around me.

How could I even dream of thriving in this forest if I've known nothing but my castle and the pages of books? Sure, I've indulged in a few non fiction and historical pieces but to put words to action would be punishment.

Even my own maids were just as confined in the village walls as I was to the castle. They would simply shrug every time I would ask what it was like in the neighboring kingdoms or brush me to the side when I asked of other princesses.

It's not as if they had the funds to travel regardless. Part of me thinks the other kingdoms would turn them away. It's very well known how much our kingdom was disliked by others. I still remember watching our kingdom balls become less filled, the streets emptier, and eventually the quiet commons. My father had yelled for weeks about the lack of trade and travelers but it was useless.

We had become a stain on the map in every kingdom.

A sharp whistle caught my attention and I looked over to see the Prince watching me. His helmet hid his face but yet through the slits his eyes held my own, watching me inquisitively.

"You have been silent." He speaks up and I frown slightly, "So have you." He hums in response before nodding his head, "Pardon me, princess. I am Malik Osiris Driscoll.. Prince and Head General of Driscoll." He formally introduced himself with a small bow and my eyes widen slightly at his General title. I give him a small bow, "I am Annmarie Sofia Bellemonte.. Princess of Bellemonte." I introduce myself and feel my cheeks warm at his stare.

He was intense to say the least.

"Your age?" He asks and I clear my throat before sitting straighter, "Nineteen.. Born the Twenty Fourth of October.. And you?" I kept my tone solid but soft as I let my eyes wander back to his horse. My fingers hesitantly played with its hair.

"Twenty two.. Born the fourteenth of June." His response made me relax but I tried my best not to give him a reaction. I hum this time, "Our ages are not far apart." I could feel my chest lighten at the news.

Knowing I wasn't rescued by another greedy old man made me feel much better. In fact, there was a new found excitement to know who's under the helmet.

"You said you are a General.. You've commanded armies?" I question and he nods his head, "Many. I've yet to lose a battle." I watch pride fill his eyes as he stood up straighter. His large frame truly had to be a sight in the battlefield. He reminded me of the giants I read of in stories. Strong arms and back like an ox with the height of a grizzly bear.

I think I would sob if I was a soldier against him.

"Have you fought against my kingdom?" I couldn't help my question. My father would never let me in conference rooms or in the company of any of his army men.

The prince nodded his head slowly, "Yes.. We have fought plenty a battle with your kingdom." I could feel his eyes watching my face for a reaction and I fought hard to keep a frown from my lips.

"Your father, The king, never told you." It wasn't a question but I confirmed his statement with a curt nod. "I do not know much of the war. He believes it simply was not my place." I responded and the Prince fell quiet for a moment.

"A shame.. To be kept in the dark." He spoke softer and finally looked away, watching forward as I look back towards my hands, "Yes. It is."

I only knew of war from the coffins that lined the streets and the hoards of saddened families that would threaten my father outside the castle gates. The best I could do was sneak them food from the castle kitchen with apologies.

The sound of a stream began to ring in the air and made me realize just how thirsty I've become. I couldn't remember the last time I ate a true meal either. Saltines and grapes were the only meal I was allowed due to my father being keen on the dress fitting. Then the carriage had the same exact thing. It felt like a sick joke when the thief offered them to me.

"You're thirsty." The Prince commented, making my cheeks warm as I shook my head quickly, "N-No.. I'm alright." I watched as we approached the stream. The horse wasted no time wading right into the water.

The rush of cold swept at my feet and made a gasp leave my lips, "Oh no no no!" My hands frantically gathered at the fabric of my dress as I lifted it but it was clearly too late, "My father will not be pleased."  The bottom was completely soaked and I let my lips fall to a frown.

"You're father can be displeased as much as he wishes. The fabrics I'll dress you in will cost more than his throne." The prince didn't hesitate to wade right up to the horse and grab the reigns, leading us out the water.

"Apologies, princess. I didn't expect him to do this." His tone was clearly annoyed as he shook his head. We were both dripping wet but still I couldn't help my smile, "You've saved me twice now."  I teased lightly as I reached to wring out the fabric of my dress.

The prince hummed softly, "I suppose. It'll take me ages to dry." He sighed as he sent his horse a small glare. I couldn't help my giggle as the beast simply lowered its head once again and continued to drink.

"I suppose your right about this dress. I won't miss it much either." I let the heavy fabric fall and looked to the Prince as he watched me. Through the slits in his helmet I could see him give me a small once over before he turned back to his horse. I couldn't name the look he gave me whether it was curiosity or something foreign.

Regardless, it made me much more aware of my bare shoulders and exposed upper chest. I looked nothing like a princess.

My arms hugged my torso gently as I looked away, distracting myself by watching the calm horse drink.

"Your water, princess." The Prince broke our silence as he gathered my attention. I was grateful to see he had pulled a canteen from a pouch, "Do not be sparing. Drink." It was more of a command in which I obeyed as I grabbed the canteen with a small thank you and opened it.

I brought it to my lips and began to drink. I still couldn't bring myself to drink much as his eyes never left me once. I lowered it and closed the lid, "Thank you." I hand him back the canteen, our fingers brushing against each other for an instant before he put it back in its original place.

I watched as he grabbed a roll of fabric from the saddle and unfolded it, revealing a navy blue blanket. My eyes widened as he gently placed it upon my shoulders, "You're cold." He explained and I simply played along, nodding my head quietly.

"Our camp is less than three minutes away. You will have your dinner then." He looked at me once again and I nodded my head quickly, "Yes. Thank you, Prince Malik." I politely bow my head and he returns the gesture before continuing to lead us forward.

I couldn't help the strange sensation in my stomach as I thought about Malik. He seemed like a strict man. I could barely picture most of his face due to his helmet but his voice alone gave me a good feeling. It was deep and earthy without being scratchy or rough. He embodied the essence of a mountain and I couldn't help my liking of it.

Perhaps I'll like it more when we are alone.

My cheeks heated at the thought and I quickly brushed the thoughts away. Did all it take for me to fold against my plans of escape was a tall dark mysterious man? I knew my truth and held back a little smile as the sight of large dark blue tents appeared. Men and women walked around working and talking as guards circled the area with weapons.

My mouth watered slightly at the smell of meat cooking over an open fire quickly filled my senses. My stomach grumbled loudly, making my eyes widen and the Prince look to me. He chuckled softly, "I'll have your meal prepared immediately." Suddenly being trampled by his horse sounded much better than any food being prepared.

"The prince has returned!" A guard yelled as we approached the camp. The workers quickly rushed into lines at the entrance of the camp, bowing their heads and placing a hand over their hearts, "Welcome, Princess of Bellemonte." The guard yelled again and banged his staff against the ground. My eyes widened as he saluted to the Prince who marched us past his staff.

"Greetings." I did my best to be polite as I bowed back and waved as they all stood straight up to eye me curiously. The prince dismissed them with a wave and I almost giggled at them scurrying off but still nosily watching us as Malik lead us deeper into camp.

We approached the largest tent before stopping, "This will be our tent for the remainder of our travels." The Prince held out a hand for me in which I grasped tightly before his other took my waist and carefully slide me off his horse.

He was gentle as he held me, taking his time to place me back on solid ground, "Thank you." I gave him a small smile before watching him whistle at his horse. It clearly knew what to do as it made its way to the stable. I watched as it walked towards the other horses, whinnying and snorting happily. It was clear the prince's horse was built for battle from how it towered over the others. I couldn't help my little giggle at the size difference.

"What?" He questioned and turned back to me. I composed myself quickly, "Apologies, Prince Malik. I am simply relieved." I turn back to him and feel his large hand move to my lower back, "This way, princess." He was gentle as he lead me towards the tent. I ignored the warmth rushing to my cheeks and the butterflies in my stomach as I let him guide me.

The tent was beautiful to say the least. My eyes widened as a large bed graced the center with a fire pit to the right and a bathtub to the left. The tent was easily larger than my own bedroom and I felt a twang of jealousy as I noticed the riches of the Driscoll kingdom.

Even their horses wore more precious metals than I.

I stepped carefully into the entry way before slipping off my heels. I was careful to set them to the side which earned a soft chuckle from the Prince, "You do not have to worry about tracking mud. It is a tent." I look down at his dirt covered boots as he stepped inside, right onto the expensive rug beneath his feet.

"I prefer to leave my filth outside rather than inside." I snap gently and look back up at him. His eyes widened slightly before he nodded and began to slip off his boots.

"I suppose you're right." He didn't fight back as he began to take off his armor too.

I was correct to compare him to a mountain. With each item he took off, exposed a new sight to my eyes.

His helmet was first as he placed it on a nearby table. The dark brown skin of his face was littered in small scars. His full lips had a small break at the top from a large scar leading up across his cheek, just under his eye. His hair was loc'ed down to his broad shoulders in which he exposed as he took off his chest plate.

I couldn't help my eyes as I took in his physique. He was a solid man, his muscles were defined but still he had a heftiness in a way you would compare him to a bear. I could only imagine how much it takes to feed him.

"Is this better, princess? " He turns back to look at me after setting his armor down and I could only nod my head quickly. The man still towered over me at which had to be the height of 6'4. At my own height of 5'7, I still had to look up to make eye contact.

Not once in my life have I ever felt small or even breakable but as he stretched his shoulders and tossed his heavy armor to a corner, I felt a bit meek.

"I will request our dinner to be brought to us.. along with a change of clothing." He spoke up after a moment and brushed his hands against his pants. I nodded my head once again, feeling as if my mouth were sewn shut.

He watched me carefully, "I will be back within the hour." He said nothing more as he made his way back out of the tent.

I didn't move an inch until his body disappeared through the tent flap. The second he was gone, I let my shoulders finally sag, "The Gods have blessed me!" I cried out in a whisper and placed a hand over my fast beating heart.

And to think so little ago I was sobbing at having to marry this man? Truly, he may be a blessing in disguise.
Part of me wanted to call him perfect but the the only thing I am not fond of would be his title.

Was it bestowed upon him or did he earn it? If so, how many had he slain to earn the name of being General? How many of my people have died to his hand?

The idea of war itself made me sick but knowing bloodshed started from my buffoon of a father made me feel even worse. I could only close my eyes and place a hand over my ill gut. Perhaps it was time to get out of my corset.

The sound of the tent flap opening made me jump as a maid entered, "The prince has given me instruction to prepare you for slumber." The lady spoke politely and showed me the nightgown in her hands.

"Thank you." I watched as she made her way to the tub. She placed my nightgown upon a dresser before walking over to our fire. I hadn't thought to check what was inside the cauldron over it but it was clear they had prepared water as she walked the boiling pot to the tub and carefully poured it in.

"I have prepared lavender soaps for your highness." She grabs a rag and places it in the water before turning to me, "Let me help you." She motioned towards my dress but I quickly stepped away.

"Thank you but I am in no need of assistance. Your kindness has been more than enough." She nodded her head quickly, "Mayllee is my name. I'll be your lady in waiting until we are back in the kingdom. Goodnight, princess." She introduced herself with a bow before making her way towards the exit.

"Before you go, Mayllee." I stopped her hesitantly, watching her turn to me, "You know much about the Prince I assume?" I questioned in which she nodded her head quickly, "His title as general, was it given? I assume he must be knighted at least." Her eyes widened as she hesitantly looked towards the exit.

She stepped closer, "It was earned. The prince is well known for his weaponry skills." Her tone became hushed, "He has fought more battles than the general before him... and lost none." She cleared her throat before stepping back towards the exit, "That is what I've heard from the soldiers at least."

My eyes widened as I nodded my head slowly, "I see.. Thank you very much, Mayllee. I'll be heading to sleep." I dismissed her politely and watched her bow before dipping out through the tent flaps.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 1K 29
||WATTY 2021 SHORTLIST|| Ex-Princess-Bride wants to marry her beloved Dragon, but when a curse threatens their happily ever after, they are left raci...
9K 449 52
In a country divided by a blood feud, a unifying festival brings both sides together for a few weeks of celebration. Reds, society's elites, are forc...
9.8M 743K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...