Fishing For Disasters

נכתב על ידי LKsolacola

That's the reward for saving this world from Sea Monsters and Dungeons that would emerge soon?! Then Zirkus... עוד

1: THE CATCH
2: A SHEEPSHEAD FISH
3: THE HEAVENLY TRIO
4. FRIENDSHIP, EFFORT, VICTORY
5: SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY
6: PRETTY PRIVILEGE
7: RAMEN, ANYONE?
8: FEED THE VILLAIN
9: OF COURSE, THERE'S A DRAGON
10: A TRANSMIGRATOR'S PURPOSE
11: THE HIDDEN QUEST
12: MOUTH-WATERING BAIT
13: DROP THE ACT
14: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (1)
16: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (3)
17: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (4)
18: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (5)
19: POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!
20: CRINGE FEST
21: NEW FRIENDS(?) ACQUIRED
22: TEENAGE DRAMA???

15: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (2)

4 0 0
נכתב על ידי LKsolacola

"I DIDN'T expect to see you here, Yelena Dover."

"Why are you calling me by my full name? You can just call me by either my first name or last name, Huxford. Whatever makes you comfortable."

Zirkus smiled because it was the perfect opportunity for him to call Yelena the way he wanted to. "Then can I call you 'noonim?'"

In the Korean language, men would address older women as 'noona' which meant 'big sister.'

'Noonim' was the polite version.

[That's how much I respect Yelena.]

"May I know what 'noonim' means first?"

"It's a made-up word from a fiction that I read before," Zirkus lied with a straight face. "It means 'older sister.'"

Yelena tilted her head to one side. "Why am I your 'older sister?' Am I older than you?"

"It just means I respect you a lot."

"That's a relief," she said, smiling. "I thought you were calling me old."

Zirkus just smiled. "Did you choose this place to eat because it's dark here?"

"That's right, but I already changed my mind," she said shyly. "Even though you already caught me once, it doesn't mean I'm not mortified to be caught eating raw fish again."

He chuckled. "You really love fresh fish, huh?"

It was probably because Yelena was a Mermaid Princess.

But since it was a secret that was only revealed in the main story, he assumed Yelena was keeping it a secret at the moment.

Hence, he decided to play dumb.

"Are you not going to ask why I like eating raw fish?" Yelena asked. Even though her question sounded lighthearted, he could tell that she was being cautious. "It's not normal to eat raw fish, after all."

"In our kingdom, it's not usual indeed," he said while nodding. "However, I know a very faraway place where people eat raw fish."

Her eyes opened wide a bit. "Really?"

"They even eat live octopus. Webfoot octopus, to be precise."

She covered her mouth when she gasped. "I love webfoot octopus, too!"

He could only smile while fighting his urge to shed a tear.

[D*sney fans would cry if they find out real-life mermaids don't sing with fish and other sea creatures– real-life mermaids actually eat them.]

But there was one thing children-friendly shows got right about mermaids.

[They're beautiful.]

Yelena was just standing there while wearing a simple dress under a cloak, and yet she was sparkling.

"Huxford, do you also eat raw fish?"

"I do," Zirkus said, nodding. "I actually love sashimi."

"'Sashimi?'"

"It's a dish made of thinly sliced raw fish and seafood."

Well, other meats could also be served as sashimi.

But he thought the Mermaid Princess would only be interested in fish and seafood, hence he didn't explain that much.

"I'll prepare some sashimi for you later, Noonim."

Yelena smiled and nodded. "Thank you, Huxford."

"You can just call me by my first name, you know?"

"Really?" she asked, surprised. "Are you sure? I remember you used to throw a fit whenever people call you by your first name."

Ah, so that was why everyone– including the teachers– would call him by his family name.

[The original Zirkus Huxford must have hated his name a lot.]

"It's okay, Noonim," Zirkus said. Although he found 'Zirkus' a funny name at first, he soon felt uncomfortable that people were calling him by his family name. "You can call me by my first name."

"Alright, Zirkus."

He smiled gratefully at her. "Noonim, are Rivo Creswell and Nixie Winslet here as well?"

Yelena shook her head. "Did you forget that Rivo and Nixie were scheduled to visit Nixie's hometown today?"

Oh.

He thought Rivo Creswell and Nixie Winslet would cancel the trip since Enzo already backed out.

[Did they not get affected by Noonim's words last time?]

"Are you disappointed in me, Huxford?" she asked, smiling. "My friend called me an idiot. Apparently, I was being too relaxed even though my boyfriend and his girl best friend went on a trip with just the two of them."

"Noonim, to be honest with you, I don't feel that close to you yet for me to feel disappointed in your decision."

Yelena looked surprised at first, then she laughed while shaking her head. "What an eloquent way to say you don't care."

"We've only started talking recently, so I can't pretend that I care about you already."

He was curious and intrigued, but it was only because he was a reader of the original novel. Hence, he simply found it fascinating to see the characters' lives happening right in front of him.

But that didn't mean he cared about them on a personal level already.

[Not yet, at least.]

"That's true," Yelena said, agreeing with his previous statement. "I don't expect you to care anyway." She turned to him and changed the topic. "Enough about me and my pathetic love life. What brings you here, Huxford?"

"I'm just trying to use my brain a little, Noonim," Zirkus said. And since Yelena was honest with him, he decided to be honest with her as well. "Actually, I'm thinking about what Enzo said to me earlier. I asked him about something I've always been curious about, and he gave me a straight answer. And yet, I feel more confused than ever."

"Enzo gave you a "straight answer?""

"Hmm?"

"This may sound like I'm talking behind Enzo's back, but I've known him since we were kids," Yelena said carefully. "And the Enzo I know enjoys playing mind games."

He felt a shiver down his spine.

[Why didn't I think that Enzo could just be messing with me...?]

"But, of course, I could be wrong," Yelena said, smiling encouragingly at him. "It seems like you and Enzo have gotten close recently. Perhaps Enzo already opened up to you?"

Bullshit.

[In the original novel, Enzo never really showed his true face to Rivo Creswell and Nixie Winslet until he betrayed them. There's no way THAT Enzo would open up to me easily.]

Zirkus was played.

<"Kekeke! You're too trusting, Shittyhead! Don't forget Enzo Fenton is still a Disaster-in-the-making!">

"I feel bad that I spoke badly behind Enzo's back," Yelena said worriedly. "I should say these things to him face-to-face."

"Are you not afraid of Enzo?"

She smiled brightly at him. "I'm confident I'm not going to die even if Enzo got pissed off at me. I might get seriously injured, but at least I won't die."

He clapped his hands slowly, genuinely impressed. "Wow, Noonim. I knew you were strong."

She looked at him in surprise, then she laughed softly. "Are you playing along with me? You know I'm about to drop out of school because of my pathetic grades. There's no way you seriously believe I can survive if I fight Enzo."

"I believe you, Noonim."

"Huh?"

Zirkus wanted to say more, but this wasn't the right time to reveal all his cards yet. "Noonim, what are you planning to do after dropping out of school?"

"I'll probably return to my hometown. Why do you ask?"

"I'm also planning to drop out soon."

Winter was coming, hence he needed to get out of the academy in order to prevent the tragedy of the Second Disaster.

[It seems like Enzo has calmed down already, so I can probably leave him alone?]

Blob, the rude System, snickered but Zirkus just ignored it.

"I'm planning to start a business after I dropped out of school," Zirkus said, giving Yelena his best business smile. "Noonim, would you like to join me in my venture?"

"Send me a proper business proposal first, Zirkus," Yelena said, smiling. "If it's interesting, then I'll consider it."

***

"IT'S REALLY stupid."

Zirkus, who was eating his breakfast, didn't even turn to Enzo who was sitting on the chair across from him. "What's stupid?"

Maybe it was because it was too early for breakfast, but only Zirkus and Enzo were in the dining hall at the moment.

For breakfast, Zirkus had pancakes while Enzo only had tea.

"Dragons can't bring the dead back to life."

Ah, Enzo must be talking about Garuto and the Hidden Soul Village.

In the story, Garuto already died and his soul was sent to the Hidden Soul Village where he was currently training to be a shinigami/death reaper. But Pink and Black, Garuto's ninja friends, hadn't given up yet.

Pink and Black collected the seven magical crystal balls to summon the Asian dragon that could grant wishes.

Yes, even bringing the dead back to life.

Zirkus turned to Enzo. "You already finished the ten chapters I gave you last night?"

"It's rubbish," Enzo complained firmly. "Dragons might be powerful beings, but they can't revive a dead person. It goes against the law of nature. And dragons, as former agents of gods, wouldn't go against the law of nature no matter what."

[He sure knows a lot about dragons, huh?]

"Moreover, what kind of dragon has to be summoned using seven magic crystal balls before they come out?" Enzo continued with his complaints. "It's ridiculous. Stupid. Rubbish. When will you give me the next chapters?"

Zirkus, who was already used to Enzo's mood swings, turned to the villain while putting a huge piece of pancake in his mouth. "If you promise to protect me during the treasure hunt, then I'll give you another ten chapters later."

Enzo frowned. "Why would you even join the hunt when you can't even protect yourself?"

"I have a means to protect myself, though?" Zirkus said, pointing a finger at Enzo. "You."

"I won't carry you on my back."

"Why would you have to carry me on your back anyway?"

"You really don't know anything about the treasure hunt, do you?" Enzo asked, then he sighed while shaking his head. "What are you going to do if you get eliminated during the first trial?"

"Huh?" Zirkus asked, tilting his head. "First trial?"

***

ZIRKUS was on the ship's deck with at least fifty other people.

[Most of them look like professional hunters...]

He felt nervous, so he made sure to stick to Enzo who looked so bored at the moment.

[I wish I could stay as calm as he is.]

"Hunters, welcome to Master Klaus' twenty-fourth Treasure Hunting Game!" a brown-haired boy who looked like he wasn't even in his teens greeted them energetically. He had a white mask, so Zirkus couldn't really see his face. "From this point onwards, the cruise ship is going to sink!"

Zirkus' eyes opened wide.

[Wait, what?!]

But the island was still a little far...

... ah, so that was the first trial?

"You must reach the Treasure Island in thirty minutes, by any means necessary!" the boy said. "Good luck, Hunters!"

And, just like that, the boy disappeared.

Only Zirkus seemed to be surprised because every other "Hunter" left the cruise ship one by one.

[This wasn't mentioned in the original novel...]

"Enzo–"

Zirkus was forced to stop talking when he saw Enzo's body turn semi-transparent.

"The teleportation scroll that I brought is only for one person," Enzo said indifferently, but his gold eyes were full of mirth. "See you later, Zirkus Huxford."

In the blink of an eye, Enzo already disappeared.

Zirkus then pulled his hair out of frustration.

[Should I swim to reach the island?!]

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

68.5K 1.9K 26
Picture this: I suddenly find myself in a medieval fantasy world, like the ones I used to gobble up in books. But here's the comical conundrum: I've...
38.3K 1.3K 13
You suddenly transmigrate into a world unknown to you after falling asleep in the class. But after trying to find your way out, you shine in the empe...
3.3K 170 19
My name is Min Ae-ri Shin ... Or it was that. One day as I was taking a bus home from my college as usual while playing an otome game on my phone si...
17K 945 29
A/N: Had a bout of inspiration; may edit and then republish some time later after finishing writing another story, since I'm more focused on my other...