Raising Cubs in the 1950s [MT...

By 0003min

As Zhang Jianjun opened his eyes, he found himself in an era of scarcity, where clothing and food were in sho... More

Chapter 1-5
Chapter 6-10
Chapter 11-15
Chapter 16-20
Chapter 21-25
Chapter 31-35
Chapter 36-40
Chapter 41-50
Chapter 51-55
Chapter 56-60
Chapter 61-70

Chapter 26-30

623 14 0
By 0003min

Chapter 26

"Absolutely!" Zhao Dashui quickly replied. This was a great opportunity. Once this chance passed, there wouldn't be another like it. It was better to accept it now and sort out the details later. At this point, Zhao Dashan also understood Zhang Jianjun's intentions, and any awkwardness between them disappeared. Seeing Zhao Dashui agree, he nodded in agreement and quickly calculated his financial resources. In this way, the three of them successfully reached an agreement.

After settling the matter, the sky had already brightened. Zhang Jianjun asked the two to stay for a meal, and Zhao Dashui was happy to accept, but Zhao Dashan didn't want to stay. After seeing Zhang Xiaojun and knowing he was doing well, he forcefully pulled Zhao Dashui along to leave. Since they had decided to engage in this business deal, they needed to go home and carefully consider their plans.

Unable to persuade Zhao Dashan, Zhang Jianjun quickly went into the small storage room and brought out a small amount of grain he had saved up, less than sixty catties, and handed it to them to take. If this cooperation didn't go smoothly, Zhang Jianjun would have to think about his future.

"How can we not write a promissory note? This matter should be done according to my uncle's advice. We must write one. Even close brothers have to keep accounts clear!" Because Zhao Dashan and Zhao Dashui hadn't expected to bring back grain this time, they didn't have much money with them. After seeing the grain Zhang Jianjun brought out, they searched through their pockets but couldn't gather enough money to pay for the grain. Zhao Dashui suggested paying next time and taking the grain with them, but Zhao Dashan insisted on giving Zhang Jianjun a promissory note, to settle the debt properly.

Zhang Jianjun couldn't persuade Zhao Dashan, so he went along and wrote the promissory note, and Zhao Dashan pressed his handprint on it, while Zhao Dashui signed his name on the paper. Although he hadn't received an education, after being out in the world for a long time, he could still write his own name, albeit a bit crooked. Zhang Jianjun couldn't trust Zhao Dashui, but he trusted Zhao Dashan.

"Jianjun, I've found some bricklayers for you. After you meet them this afternoon, we can start construction in a couple of days." As soon as Zhang Jianjun entered the grain shop, the storekeeper brought him good news.

"Alright, I got it. Thanks, Zhang Storekeeper."

"You brat, don't forget to treat me to a drink."

"I definitely won't forget."

Once Zhang Jianjun met the bricklayers recommended by Zhang Storekeeper and confirmed the number of workers and materials, the demolition of the fence walls in his small courtyard officially began. For safety reasons, Zhang Jianjun specifically had them set the wall height at around 1.85 meters, and then he scattered broken glass pieces on top to provide added security. In order to motivate the bricklayers to work diligently, Zhang Jianjun would cook some rice gruel for them as an extra meal every day, and their payment would be in the form of grain, which made them even happier than if they were paid in money.

"Zhang Storekeeper, the walls in my house are repaired now, and I have to thank you for your help. Tomorrow, I'd like to invite your whole family to come to my house for a meal. Please do me the honor, and bring your wife and children along. It'll be livelier with more people." After the courtyard walls were repaired, Zhang Jianjun fulfilled his promise and invited Zhang Storekeeper and his family to drink at the prosperous Fortune Restaurant. Before Zhang Storekeeper got too drunk, Zhang Jianjun brought up this matter in advance.

"Alright, we should interact more. By the way, I need to tell you something. In a few days, my family will be moving to the house east of yours. When the time comes, I'll need your help. This time we'll be neighbors." Upon hearing Zhang Jianjun's words, Zhang Storekeeper suddenly remembered that they were planning to move.

"Why would you want to move when everything is fine? The house in the east doesn't have many things left. I heard the owner of that house is being taken away by their son to live a comfortable life, and they've moved everything they needed." Zhang Jianjun felt that Zhang Storekeeper's courtyard was much better than the one next to his own house, so he asked with some confusion.

"Perhaps they heard that our area has been liberated and it's much safer now, so many people have come to settle near the East Sea recently. Some out-of-towners are living over there, and my wife had a dispute with them, making things unpleasant. We don't even dare to let our daughter, Huairen, go out easily, fearing for her safety.

Coincidentally, I found out that the landlord of this courtyard was planning to leave, so I took the initiative to ask if they were willing to sell it. Since they didn't plan to return in the future, they agreed when I asked. After discussing it with my family, we decided to sell our current house and move here. Although it's a bit remote, this place is bigger and more peaceful. Our two families can also help each other." Zhang Storekeeper explained helplessly. Although their original courtyard was good, sometimes it's better to avoid certain things. Besides, as Huaifen grew up, they would have to talk about marriage in the future, and having a bigger place would allow them to build an extra room for their son's future wife. He had considered all aspects before making the decision to move.
"Alright, I'll definitely lend a hand when the time comes. However, since you'll be busy with the move, I won't cause any trouble for you now. Let's have a meal together once you've settled in. How does that sound?" When Zhang Storekeeper's family moved over, they would be reliable helpers for Zhang Jianjun, and the character of neighbors was important.

"Sure, I'll go along with that." Zhang Storekeeper had no objections to Zhang Jianjun's suggestion. After all, once the two families were near each other, it wouldn't be difficult to have a meal together.

A few days later, Zhang Storekeeper's family moved in, and Zhang Jianjun brought Zhang Xiaojun to help. They worked tirelessly for three days before finally settling down. Both families were exhausted.

"Jianjun, Xiaojun, take a break from your work and come have a drink. We'll eat soon. You and your son should stay here together. Don't go back later just because of a pair of chopsticks. It won't take much effort. This time, we can't continue to refuse." Zhang Jianjun and his son were helping with the final cleaning in the courtyard when Zhang Storekeeper's wife, Wang Dahua, came out with a tea pot and tea bowls, inviting them to rest. Although Zhang Storekeeper kept stealing glances in that direction, he didn't catch Wang Dahua's eye. So he continued sweeping with the broom in his hand.

Zhang Jianjun observed the interaction between Zhang Storekeeper and Wang Dahua. He smiled knowingly but didn't speak up to support Zhang Storekeeper. He had heard through his inquiries that Zhang Storekeeper and Wang Dahua were childhood friends. Wang Dahua's father had accidentally saved Zhang Storekeeper's father on the road when he was injured, and he stayed at Wang's house to recuperate for a month until his wounds slowly healed. During his recovery, Zhang Storekeeper's father and Wang's family formed a deep friendship. Even when Zhang Storekeeper's father returned to Donghai City, the two families remained in contact.

Originally, both families were living their own lives peacefully. However, fate had different plans. Wang Dahua's parents tragically passed away in an accident, leaving her alone in the house. It was already a miserable situation, but the relatives in the family wanted to take over the house left behind by Wang Dahua's parents. She couldn't tolerate this and, with the help of the village chief, she had been engaged in a fierce battle of wits with her despicable relatives. This experience had molded her into a straightforward and even somewhat fierce person.

The relatives didn't dare to provoke Wang Dahua openly, but they constantly smeared her reputation behind her back. Over time, Wang Dahua's reputation became extremely poor, and even though her marriageable age was approaching, no matchmakers came knocking on her door. Occasionally, there were a few suitors, but they were neither attractive nor capable. Naturally, Wang Dahua didn't want to hastily marry someone she didn't like, so the matter of marriage was put on hold.

When Wang Dahua's parents passed away, Zhang Storekeeper's family had also gone to offer condolences and even wanted to adopt Wang Dahua. However, Wang Dahua wanted to preserve the house left behind by her parents, so she declined their offer. Zhang Storekeeper's father didn't insist and only told her to reach out if she needed help. Wang Dahua was aware of their address all along. However, she didn't share her hardships in her letters, so Zhang Storekeeper's father had no idea how dire her situation was.

It was only after he personally visited Wang Dahua's house, stayed for a few days, and inquired from several people that he learned what this young girl had been through. This time, he was resolute in taking Wang Dahua away with him. He reached an agreement with the village chief, giving him some money, while the village chief promised to take good care of the house after they left.

Perhaps it was due to Zhang Storekeeper's father's determination or perhaps Wang Dahua was tired of shouldering the burden alone, but with continuous persuasion from the village chief and others, she agreed to go to Donghai with Storekeeper's father. Before leaving, she organized her belongings in the house and had some widowed elders and orphaned children from the village move in. This way, the house wouldn't fall into disrepair due to lack of occupants, and for the elders and orphans, it provided a shelter where they didn't have to worry about pleasing others. Compared to before, they were much more at ease here. Without much explanation from Wang Dahua, they knew to protect the place well.

It took Wang Dahua two days to settle her affairs at home. Though she was reluctant, she ultimately followed Storekeeper's father, turning back three times before leaving.

At first, Storekeeper's father treated Wang Dahua as a foster daughter and even had people inquire about suitable matches for her. However, one day, he suddenly noticed his son and Wang Dahua exchanging affectionate glances, completely devoid of the initial guardedness. He felt that things might not be as simple as they seemed, and he wasn't as eager as before to find a son-in-law for Dahua. In his eyes, it was better for Wang Dahua to stay in their house than marry into another family where he wouldn't be able to keep an eye on her.

Thus, right under his nose, the affection between Zhang Storekeeper and Wang Dahua deepened, and almost everyone in the family noticed the signs of their growing relationship. However, no one exposed their secret. It was only after Zhang Storekeeper and Wang Dahua had confirmed their desire to live together in the future that they confessed in front of their families. To their surprise, their family members had known all along, despite their attempts to conceal it. As a result, it was a joyous occasion for everyone involved.

Chapter 27

"Time flies by so quickly, without realizing it, the end of the year is here. In a few days, our shop will also close, and we can finally celebrate the Lunar New Year in peace," Zhang Storekeeper said, turning to Zhang Jianjun during a busy moment.

"Yes, these past few days have been exhausting. I'm looking forward to taking a break and relaxing. I've noticed that there are more people buying grain from our shop lately. Could it be that everyone is saving money to buy grain before the new year? The prices are bound to be higher than usual," Zhang Jianjun pondered, finding it hard to understand why.

"Who has that much money? It's simply because there are more people coming from other places to buy grain in Donghai! I heard that in some areas, grain prices have already increased significantly, three to five times more than what we charge in our shop. In order to save money, they prefer to travel here instead of buying locally! Some people have been waiting in front of the shop even before we open," Zhang Storekeeper replied, patting his shoulder. With the increasing number of customers in the grain shop, both he and Zhang Jianjun had to pitch in and help. As time went on, his aging body couldn't handle it as well.

"Ah, life isn't easy!" Zhang Jianjun observed the bustling crowd of people buying grain and couldn't help but reminisce about his days on the road, struggling for food with Zhang Xiaojun, just to survive.

"Life was never meant to be easy. We're fortunate compared to others. Li's Grain Shop responded positively to the policies and hasn't increased prices much. They've always maintained affordable prices for grain. But if you look at the Qian Family's Grain Shop across from us, their grain prices have doubled. With this price hike, it's driven people to come to our shop. They're waiting for us to exhaust our stock so they can profit from the situation," Zhang Storekeeper explained, feeling frustrated about the rivalry between the two grain shops. Things were going well, but there were always people trying to break the rules.

"Isn't there anyone overseeing this? Grain is no trivial matter. If this continues, it will definitely affect the normal lives of ordinary people," Zhang Jianjun expressed his concerns.

"It's a matter of timing. Once they free up their hands and stabilize, they will surely address this issue. When that happens, mark my words, they will be left with nothing but the tail of a rabbit," Zhang Storekeeper assured confidently. Zhang Jianjun nodded in agreement.

After finishing work and taking Zhang Xiaojun back home, Zhang Jianjun saw Zhao Dashan squatting at the door, waiting for them. Since he and Zhao Dashui started doing business with him, they had tasted a bit of success. The frequency of their travels between Donghai and various villages had increased, and they settled their accounts roughly once a month.

Since they knew it wasn't wise to publicize their arrangement, few people were aware of their collaboration. Besides Zhang Storekeeper, who also conducted some business in that area, there were no major conflicts between their customer bases, and they had been peacefully coexisting. Over time, Zhang Jianjun even started incorporating some grain from small farms into their transactions. With the help of Zhao Dashan and Zhao Dashui, he sold the grain he had and used the money to buy other daily necessities.

"Uncle, why did you come at this time? Have you had dinner?" Zhang Jianjun was puzzled by Zhao Dashan's unexpected arrival. Usually, he would come in the morning and leave after having breakfast. Coming so late today was indeed unusual. Zhang Jianjun was concerned that something might have happened to them on the road.

"Well, I originally planned to come this morning, but on the way, I met a buyer who wanted to purchase a significant amount. We ended up chatting for a long time. I discussed it with Dashui, and he went with the customer to find a cart. He will come tomorrow morning, and once the payment is settled, they will take it away directly. Fortunately, you let Linzi inform us about the new batch of grain; otherwise, we would have had to watch helplessly. By the way, this is the last transaction before the new year. It's almost time to tidy up at home," Zhao Dashan explained, standing up when he saw Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun returning. Probably due to squatting for too long, he felt a bit unsteady when he stood up. Zhang Jianjun immediately rushed over to support him.

"You're getting older, but that doesn't mean you're useless," Zhang Jianjun smiled self-deprecatingly as he held Zhao Dashan's hand.

"I've been squatting outside for too long; it's not about being old or young. I know you work at Li's Grain Shop, so why didn't I go there to find you? Otherwise, I wouldn't have had to wait outside for so long in this cold weather," Zhao Dashan said, ruffling his hair and laughing sincerely.

"Even if I'm busy, I can always make time. Next time you come to our house and find no one, make sure you go to the grain shop to look for me. Don't hide outside like today, it's too cold. Come in," Zhang Jianjun said, leading Zhao Dashan into the courtyard.

"Alright, I'll remember that. I'll stay tonight then!" Zhao Dashan realized that it was too late to go back home now. Seeing Zhang Jianjun's willingness, he agreed without hesitation.

"That's settled then." Zhang Jianjun was worried that Zhao Dashan would insist on going home and that it wouldn't be a good time to travel at night. If something happened on the way, it would be a big problem.

"By the way, Jianjun, since it's almost New Year, you and Xiaojun should come to our house to celebrate. Otherwise, you father and son will be lonely at home," Zhao Dashan suggested.

Zhang Jianjun had no intention of returning to Qingshan Village. Even if it was just him and Xiaojun, they could still have a good New Year. However, Zhao Dashan was particularly insistent on the matter, believing that a successful and lively New Year celebration was crucial. Unable to persuade Zhao Dashan otherwise, Zhang Jianjun could only nod in agreement. Seeing Zhang Jianjun's consent, Zhao Dashan finally showed a satisfied smile.

Zhang Jianjun asked Zhang Xiaojun to buy some dishes from a nearby restaurant. He didn't have to cook anymore. It was getting late, and by the time he finished cooking, they would already be starving. It was more convenient to go out and buy something.

"Jianjun, did your master order the construction of this courtyard wall?" Zhao Dashan had noticed the newly built tall wall upon his arrival, but he hadn't asked about it due to their brief encounter.

"It was my insistence to have it built." Zhang Jianjun shook his head and then explained to Zhao Dashan the background and details of the house, including the fact that the house belonged to him and his son. Zhao Dashan and his wife were good people, and Zhang Jianjun wanted to live with them for a long time. With time, this matter would inevitably be revealed, so it was better to be honest from the beginning.

"Well, since the master has given it to you, you should tidy it up. After all, it's your own house. In the future, when Xiaojun finds a partner and gets married, they will also have a place to live." Although Zhao Dashan was initially shocked upon hearing this, he thought about the dangerous situations Xiaojun had encountered and felt that it was only natural. Of course, a tinge of envy couldn't be avoided.

"I think the same way." Calculating Xiaojun's age and considering the future, Zhang Jianjun realized that he might end up living with his son and daughter-in-law in this small courtyard. When that time came, he would need to keep his eyes open and find a suitable girl. He couldn't marry someone who would cause trouble, or else their lives would become difficult.

The two of them continued to chat about their business over the past few days until Zhang Xiaojun returned with the food. After finishing their meal, Zhao Dashan felt a bit drowsy. The continuous running around had taken its toll, and once he relaxed, fatigue overwhelmed him.

Seeing Zhao Dashan's drowsiness, Zhang Jianjun brought water over and allowed Zhao Dashan to freshen up briefly before letting him rest in the guest room. Zhang Jianjun hadn't even left the room when he heard a loud snoring sound from behind him.

The next morning, while it was still dark and the stars still hung in the sky, Zhao Dashui arrived with his men. After inspecting the grain, weighing it, and paying for it, they loaded the grain onto the ox cart, and Zhao Dashui's men departed with it.

"We've finally finished the work. Can we divide the money now?" After seeing the men off, Zhao Dashui couldn't wait to bring up the matter of splitting the money. He didn't want to work without hearing any sound.

"Alright, let's go inside and warm up. After I finish tallying the accounts, we'll distribute the money." Since the transactions before the New Year had concluded, it was only natural to divide the money. It felt like eagerly anticipating a year-end bonus, just as Zhang Jianjun had done in the past.

"That sounds good. I'll go in and get some rest first." Hearing Zhang Jianjun's words, Zhao Dashui had a good idea of what to expect. After greeting the two men, he went straight to the kitchen, found some food, and then went to bed to catch up on sleep.

Left behind, Zhang Jianjun and Zhao Dashan looked at each other silently, but considering the hardships they had endured during this time, they didn't argue.

"I've sorted out the accounts. They're all here. Uncle and Second Uncle can take a look. If there are no issues, we'll split it according to what's written." Zhang Jianjun trusted Zhao Dashan and didn't even take the ledger. Instead, Zhao Dashui took it without hesitation, carefully examined it, and then nodded in agreement.

There were some characters he didn't recognize, but he understood the basic calculations. Since Zhang Jianjun's accounts were clear and organized, he could comprehend them. With no objections from any of them, they divided the money in a 4:3:3 ratio, with Zhang Jianjun receiving forty percent, which was also Zhao Dashan's insistence. Back when the funds were insufficient, Zhang Jianjun had voluntarily joined them, and the three of them had worked together in the grain business.

This split had been decided from the beginning. Zhang Jianjun had initially wanted an equal distribution, considering that although he provided the goods, Zhao Dashan and Zhao Dashui had worked hard to find buyers, which was no easy task. However, Zhao Dashan believed that without Zhang Jianjun, they wouldn't have this business, so receiving forty percent was reasonable and fair.

Chapter 28

After confirming the accounts, Zhang Jianjun, Zhao Dashan, and Zhao Dashui divided the money and had a meal together before returning home. Before leaving, Zhao Dashan repeatedly urged Zhang Jianjun and his son Zhang Xiaojun to spend the Lunar New Year in Qingshan Village. In response to his kind invitation, Zhang Jianjun readily agreed.

"We'll be closing today. Tomorrow, our family will go shopping for New Year's goods and prepare for the festival. Jianjun, why don't you join us? You can lend a hand. And you and Xiaojun, why not celebrate the New Year with us? It'll be lively with more people," Zhang Jianjun, the shopkeeper, extended an invitation to Zhang Jianjun.

"In that case, let's go together tomorrow. My parents used to take care of all the preparations, but now it's up to me, and there's still a lot I'm not sure about. With you all there, you can help me out," Zhang Jianjun replied, wiping the sweat off his face and putting the shelves back in place.

"Well, I can't insist if that's the case. Tomorrow, after breakfast, I'll send Huaiwen to call you, and then we'll leave together," although he felt a tinge of regret, the shopkeeper didn't press his own desires any further.

"Alright," Zhang Jianjun replied promptly.

"Shopkeeper, you're closing up already? We haven't bought any grains yet?" Just as Zhang Jianjun and the shopkeeper were about to close the grain shop, a few disheveled people rushed over, hoping to buy grains.

"Apologies, everyone. The grains in our Li's Grain Shop have been sold out. Even if I open the shop, there won't be any grains left. It's better for you to try other shops!" The shopkeeper bowed to the crowd, his voice warm and persuasive.

"Sold out? How could this happen? Everyone knows that Li's Grain Shop offers the most reasonable prices. Other shops don't have such prices. Ah, if only I had come earlier," one person lamented, full of regret.

"Indeed," echoed the others.

Realizing that there were no grains in the shop, they knew it was futile to stay. They joined together and went to the nearby Qian Family Grain Shop. Although the prices there were higher than Li's Grain Shop, they were still more affordable than outside. After all, they couldn't return empty-handed after making the trip.

The shopkeeper watched as the group left, sighing involuntarily. But he felt helpless. In this world, if one could manage themselves and their family well, that was already considered good enough.

The next day, Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun followed the shopkeeper's family on an outing for purchases. Even before the New Year's gathering, the place was bustling, with people crowded together. Zhang Jianjun had already prepared a list of items to buy, as instructed by the shopkeeper. All they had to do was follow the list.

Due to the large crowd, the two families quickly got separated. However, Zhang Jianjun remained composed, relying on the shopping list. He carried Zhang Xiaojun on his shoulders and walked, buying the things they wanted along the way or stopping to eat. By the time they were done, they had already eaten their fill, even though they hadn't bought many items. They knew the prearranged meeting spot and would go there directly when the time came.

"Father, I want to eat tanghulu, sugar figurines, twisted doughnuts, peach pastries, and also hand-pulled noodles with extra meat." Looking at the dazzling array of stalls on the street, it truly overwhelmed the senses, especially the food vendors, which attracted quite a few children. Zhang Xiaojun seemed to have been infected by the joyful atmosphere. Unlike his usual reserved nature, he had come up with a long list this time.

"Alright, Dad will buy them for you." It was the Lunar New Year, and after working so hard for so long, it was only right to treat oneself to something nice. So Zhang Jianjun readily agreed.

Zhang Jianjun put Zhang Xiaojun down and held his hand as they walked together. Whenever they came across something they wanted to eat, they bought it or sat down to enjoy it. After this little excursion, even though they hadn't bought much, the two of them were already almost full. Only after satisfying their hunger did they officially begin purchasing New Year goods. Along the way, they encountered storytellers, opera singers, acrobats, and clay figurine makers, and they stopped to watch for a considerable amount of time. The authentic and captivating performances were truly a rare treat to witness up close!

"Jianjun, you two really know how to browse around!" When the father and son finished their shopping and returned to the designated meeting point, the shopkeeper Zhang's family had been waiting there for a while.

"Hey, you men! Your hands are so loose, you don't know how to budget and manage your daily lives. When the time comes, if your sister-in-law introduces a capable daughter-in-law to you, someone to take care of your household, you won't have to do everything yourself. It's too much for an iron-willed man like you to handle inside and outside the house. It's just unbearable!" Looking at the things in Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun's hands, Wang Dahua couldn't help but think of finding a daughter-in-law for Zhang Jianjun. Zhang Xiaojun stood a little behind Zhang Jianjun, his grip on the cloth bag tightening.

"Sister-in-law, I appreciate your kindness, but I'm not thinking about finding a daughter-in-law right now. I just want to raise Xiaojun well. It's because it's the Lunar New Year that we bought a bit more. Usually, I wouldn't dare to buy this much. I still need to save up for Xiaojun's future wife, can't be reckless, you know?" Although he couldn't see Zhang Xiaojun's expression, Zhang Jianjun firmly declined Wang Dahua's suggestion. And behind him, Zhang Xiaojun's face revealed a faint smile.

"Alright, since Jianjun said so, there's no need to persuade him further. He knows what he's doing." Seeing that Wang Dahua wanted to say something else, the shopkeeper Zhang immediately intervened. If someone had no intention of pursuing something, then let them be. Talking too much would only annoy them. Although Wang Dahua had a somewhat impulsive temperament, she still listened to the shopkeeper Zhang's advice in matters like this. Upon hearing the shopkeeper's words, she no longer pursued the topic.

Afterward, the Huaiwen siblings and Zhang Xiaojun discussed what they had bought for their homes and what they had eaten on the street, talking and laughing joyfully. The group once again regained their cheerful atmosphere.

Two days later, after finishing the preparations at home, Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun planned to return to Qingshan Village with their belongings. However, before they could finish packing, Zhao Lin arrived with a borrowed cart to pick them up.

"Why did you make this trip? We could have hired a cart to go back later." Seeing Zhao Lin, dusty and worn out, coming to Donghai so early, Zhang Jianjun felt a bit embarrassed.

"I happened to be delivering something to a friend nearby, so I thought I'd pick you up on the way. Why waste money on hiring a cart?" After drinking a cup of hot water, Zhao Lin started feeling warmer.

Since Zhao Lin put it that way, Zhang Jianjun couldn't say much. Of course, he accepted the kind gesture. Besides, he had quite a lot of things to carry, and with someone's help, he saved himself a lot of trouble!

Chapter 29

Today is New Year's Eve. Zhao Dashan's family and Zhang Jianjun and his son woke up early to prepare, clean the house, take out the blessings written by someone else, as well as couplets, and paste them on the doors, windows, and other places in the house. After finishing, the whole place was filled with the joy of the New Year. After a simple lunch, they started preparing for the big New Year's Eve dinner. Both men and women worked together. The men were directed to pick vegetables and wash them, while the women fried meatballs, twisted dough sticks, fried mushrooms, and started stewing the chicken, which was something they rarely had throughout the year. Everything they needed and enjoyed was in this meal.

"Ah, this year's New Year's Eve dinner is really sumptuous, mother. You've used everything we have," Guilan, who was already pregnant, said greedily while helping, smelling the delicious aroma emanating from the pot.

"I usually pinch pennies, but it's all for our family. But today is New Year's Eve, after being busy all year, we naturally have to eat a good meal. Besides, Jianjun and Xiaojun are here this year, and they brought so much grain and bean oil. If we're too stingy, it won't be right, right? Come on, take it out and eat with Xiaojun." Although Zhang Chunlan was teased by her daughter-in-law, she wasn't angry. Their relationship had always been good. Now that Guilan was pregnant, she would take care of her a bit more.

"Alright, thank you, mother." Guilan, smelling the aroma of the food nearby, had been tempted for a while, but she couldn't let go of her pride, so she had to suppress her desire to eat. Now that Zhang Chunlan voluntarily handed it over, it suited her intentions. As soon as the conversation ended, she immediately skillfully interrupted.

After feeding Zhang Chunlan a meatball, Guilan carried the plate of delicious food out. Although Zhang Chunlan said it was for herself and Xiaojun to eat, she couldn't let others just watch, so she placed it on the table and invited everyone to eat together. After eating, everyone's anticipation for the New Year's Eve dinner grew even stronger.

"The dishes are here. Today, eat to your heart's content, as long as you don't upset your stomach." Amidst everyone's eager anticipation, Zhang Chunlan finally brought out the last dish. Now, everyone could finally indulge themselves.

"Don't worry, I'm definitely going to eat until I'm full."

"That's right, it's not easy to have this opportunity once a year! When we have the chance, we must eat to our heart's content."

"Come, let's raise our glasses. The few of us men will go first."

On the delicious dining table, everyone chatted and laughed, eating and drinking for a longer time than usual. Unbeknownst to them, time had passed midnight, and Zhang Xiaojun, who insisted on staying up for the New Year, was already very tired, his little head nodding.

Originally, Zhang Jianjun wanted to send him to rest, but the little guy refused. He waited until the New Year's Eve was over before he went to bed after a simple wash. As soon as Zhang Jianjun put him down, before even leaving the room, he heard Zhang Xiaojun's small snoring. Hearing the sound, Zhang Jianjun turned back and gave him an indulgent smile, then covered him with the blanket and quietly placed the red envelope he had prepared under the pillow before quietly leaving the room.

Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun stayed at Zhao's house for several days and didn't return to Donghai City until the sixth day, along with the various food prepared by Zhang Chunlan. Although the father and son shared a room with Zhao Lin, it was a bit cramped, but the feeling of being together with a large family was not bad.

"Zhang Shopkeeper, happy New Year! I've come to pay my respects and wish you a prosperous year with good health in the new year." Zhang Jianjun saw Zhang Shopkeeper at the entrance of Zhang's house before he even reached home. He quickly got off the car and greeted him, and even Xiaojun obediently said hello.

"Happy New Year. I wasn't used to not seeing you these past few days. Fortunately, I've been looking forward to your return. Come, Xiaojun, this is your red envelope." Zhang Shopkeeper didn't expect to encounter Zhang Jianjun and his son at the door, and while it was unexpected, it also brought some pleasant surprises. Luckily, he had prepared a few spare red envelopes, which came in handy at this moment, or else it would have been a bit awkward.

"Thank you, Uncle." Because it was early in the morning and he was still a bit groggy, Zhang Xiaojun, with his slightly hoarse voice, thanked him in his cute and obedient manner. Zhang Shopkeeper was quite pleased.

After chatting with Zhang Shopkeeper for a while, Zhang Jianjun took Zhang Xiaojun back home. The two families were not far apart, so they had plenty of time to talk and were not in a hurry.

Although the father and son had a pleasant time at Zhao's house, when they returned home, they couldn't help but feel a sense of belonging. This feeling couldn't be replaced by anywhere else because this was their own home! After a few days of staying at Zhao's house, there was some dust in their home, so Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Xiaojun took some time to clean it up. After putting away the food they brought back, the two rested for a while. Then Zhang Jianjun took his son to visit several friendly households.

During the New Year period, there were also many activities in Donghai City, such as Yangko dancing, storytelling, drumming, opera singing, and acrobatics. It was definitely livelier than Qingshan Village. In addition to visiting, Zhang Jianjun also took his son to see many activities on the street. Zhang Xiaojun was especially happy because he could enjoy delicious food while watching performances, and his father was there to accompany and protect him. It couldn't get any better than that.

In Zhang Jianjun's view, although these performances were not sophisticated, they were genuine and authentic. Now, they seemed to have a unique charm. Overall, both the father and son were quite happy. Unfortunately, the festive and joyful time always passed quickly, and before they knew it, it was time to go back to work.

On the first day of opening the grain shop, Li Guofu gave everyone in the shop a lucky red envelope. Although it wasn't much, it was a good start.

"Jianjun, find a smooth board and write 'limited supply of grain daily, until sold out' on it. After you finish writing, have Da Tou hang it up." After cleaning the grain shop and preparing to open for business, Zhang Shopkeeper assigned Zhang Jianjun this task.

"Do we not have enough grain in our shop?" Zhang Jianjun couldn't think of any other reason.

"Yes, the place where we usually get our supplies suffered a disaster last year, and the harvest was not good. The boss had to temporarily use connections to gather a batch from elsewhere. But it can only solve the immediate problem, and it won't be as abundant as before. The situation will improve after the summer harvest." Zhang Shopkeeper knew quite a bit of inside information and, with no one else around, shared these tidbits with Zhang Jianjun in a hushed voice.

"Ah, Qian's shop will probably raise the prices again." Apart from this thought, Zhang Jianjun couldn't come up with anything else.

"Yes, we used to have Li's family selling affordable grain, so they wouldn't go too far. The price of grain wouldn't skyrocket. But now that Li's family is no longer in the picture, I can't even imagine it! And before the New Year, Qian's grain shop business wasn't as good as expected. They might be holding back some tricks!" Zhang Jianjun truly worried.

"What's there to fear? If things get out of hand, the higher-ups won't ignore it!" Zhang Shopkeeper didn't seem to care.

"Let's hope so!" Zhang Jianjun was worried that they might not be able to handle it temporarily!

While the price of grain at Qian's shop was soaring, Li Guofu also temporarily sourced a batch of grain from elsewhere. The supply at Li's grain shop was also increasing, but compared to the demand, it was still insufficient.

When Zhang Jianjun was anxiously waiting, a few people arrived at Li's grain shop. Judging from their appearance and demeanor, they seemed like officials. When Zhang Jianjun couldn't figure it out, one of them spoke, "This is Li's grain shop. They have always been selling affordable grain and are considered a conscientious store by the common people." Zhang Shopkeeper followed along with this group of people, eager to know what they wanted to find out. He spoke earnestly, leaving no detail unmentioned, and praised the shop as much as he could. Of course, the shop had no black marks, especially when compared to Qian's grain shop. It could truly be regarded as a conscientious store.

"Yes, that's right. Comrade, you've worked hard!" After listening to Zhang Shopkeeper's feedback and receiving confirmation from the accompanying personnel, the leader nodded in satisfaction and patted Zhang Shopkeeper on the shoulder as encouragement. Shortly after, the group left without leaving any information, but from their behavior, it was clear that they were government officials. Could it be a secret investigation?

Zhang Jianjun and Zhang Shopkeeper speculated privately, but no one provided them with an explanation. They could only guess in private until "Little Loudspeaker" Da Tou came in from outside with the latest news.

"I heard that Qian's shop was summoned for a discussion, asking them to rectify the shop and set reasonable prices! It's about time they were suppressed. They've been too arrogant these days, thinking they can do whatever they want. Let's see how they bounce back now." Da Tou seemed to be holding back a lot of anger. Hearing the news of Qian's misfortune, he felt extremely relieved.

"It's about time their prices were suppressed. They increased them fivefold compared to before. If this continues, who can afford their grain?" Zhang Shopkeeper, as a member of Li's grain shop, was certainly pleased to see his old rival in trouble.

"It's a great relief! It's about time! Haha!" Da Tou chimed in. Zhang Jianjun didn't express an opinion, but he also felt quite pleased.

The next day, Qian's shop hung up a price list early in the morning, which was considerably lower than before and within the reach of most households. Many people lined up at the shop, fearing that they might miss out if they hesitated and end up with nothing to buy.

Chapter 30

"Have you heard the news? It turns out that it's not just the Qian family's grain prices that have dropped, but also several other major grain merchants. The price of grain now is not as terrifying as it was during the New Year period!" Da Tou, who had just heard the news from outside, hurriedly shared with another young apprentice in the grain shop. After all, sharing joy is better than enjoying it alone!

( During the 1950s in China, authorities took action to rectify grain shops that were manipulating grain prices. The government implemented policies such as state-controlled grain procurement, price controls, and crackdowns on illegal practices. These measures aimed to ensure fair pricing, equitable access to grain, and stability in the grain market. They were part of broader agricultural and economic reforms that sought to create a more just and equitable grain distribution system, benefiting the general population and curbing the influence of unscrupulous grain shops. )

"That's right! I heard about this too. Although we don't have to worry about not being able to buy grain, there are many households now wanting to take advantage of the price drop and stock up on grain! That's exactly what my neighbor Er Da's wife did. Even before dawn, she sent off Er Da, her two sons, and their wives to queue up at several grain shops just to buy some grain." Da Tou thought the information he gathered was unknown to others, unaware that Da Fu had already heard the rumors.

"It's all because of the price increase before the New Year," Da Tou sighed in agreement.

"That's exactly right. It's because we have a good employer who values our hard work and is willing to lend a hand to those in need. Our household doesn't have such a shortage of grain like others. Even if the grain prices skyrocket outside, they can only tighten their belts and save money to buy grain. Now that the prices have dropped, they have to fight tooth and nail to grab some and store it at home."

Listening to the commotion from nearby shops, Da Fu sighed as well. Zhang Jianjun, who had just returned from outside, also overheard their discussion and couldn't help but furrow his brow. Food is a vital necessity for the people, and throughout history, it has always been so. The hoarding of grain by merchants and the skyrocketing prices only burdened the lower-class citizens.

Fortunately, the situation outside wasn't as bad as everyone feared, and the grain prices did not rise again. Compared to the significant price hikes before, the current prices were more acceptable. This farce of grain price increases had temporarily come to an end.

On that day, after Zhang Jianjun finished organizing the accounts of the grain shop and greeted the shopkeeper, he planned to go home and pick up Xiao Jun after school. However, before he could leave the grain shop, the housekeeper requested him to go to the backyard. When Zhang Jianjun went in and saw Li Guofu already waiting there.

"Master, is there something you need from me? As long as I can do it, I will certainly not refuse," Zhang Jianjun said, opening the conversation after Li Guofu inquired about their daily lives. Zhang Jianjun had always held a favorable impression of Li Guofu, especially after he gave them that small courtyard. With the vast world before them, they finally had a place to call home.

"Haha, I appreciate your good intentions. But calling you here this time isn't because of any trouble. In fact, it can be considered good news.

A while ago, you must have heard about the grain price dispute in Donghai City. Although it has been suppressed for now, there's no guarantee they won't come back. So the government plans to establish a specialized Grain Bureau and a state-owned Grain Company. This way, they can stabilize the market and avoid previous disputes. Compared to being an accountant at Li's Grain Shop, the prospects are better in these two places. That's why I wanted to ask for your opinion. If you're willing to go there, I can recommend you."

As Zhang Jianjun, with his sincere and solemn demeanor, looked on, Li Guofu responded with a beaming smile. Their previous interactions had been limited to their children, but since the incident where Li Wenbin was abducted, their relationship had grown. Li Guofu felt indebted to Zhang Jianjun and his son for their help, and he was prepared to agree to any request they might make, even if it meant a significant sacrifice.

However, to his surprise, Zhang Jianjun and his son did not actively ask for any rewards. Even the gestures of gratitude were initiated by Zhang Jianjun himself. This left Li Guofu somewhat astonished. If someone else received such a favor, they would not remain as composed as Zhang Jianjun. Nevertheless, since the parties involved did not make any demands, Li Guofu felt obliged to extend his care and concern. Whenever he came across information related to Zhang Jianjun, he would keep it in mind.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm curious about the difference between the Grain Bureau and the state-owned Grain Company. Will working there be better than being an accountant in the shop?" Upon hearing Li Guofu's words, Zhang Jianjun couldn't deny that he felt tempted. Being familiar with the future course of history, he knew that working as an accountant in the grain shop was not a long-term option. However, he had been unable to find a suitable opportunity to make a change. Now, Li Guofu was presenting him with such a golden opportunity, and it wouldn't be right to let it slip away!

"In the long run, both of these options are more suitable for you than working at Li's Grain Shop." Li Guofu, with his keen insight, could naturally sense Zhang Jianjun's interest, which eased his mind a little. Li Guofu couldn't reveal his plans for Li's Grain Shop at the moment, so he only gave a vague response.

( In the 1950s, individual-owned shops in China underwent significant changes due to the implementation of socialist policies. The government pursued a series of economic reforms that aimed to transform the country into a socialist society. As a result, many individual-owned shops were either nationalized or absorbed into state-owned enterprises. This process was part of the broader collectivization and centralization of economic activities, where private ownership was gradually replaced by collective or state ownership. The goal was to consolidate resources, redistribute wealth, and prioritize the collective welfare over individual profit-making. )

"The Grain Bureau is responsible for collecting public grain, supplying military rations, and providing grain for government organizations. They will establish a grain collection team in the future, which, apart from fulfilling the grain collection tasks, will also assist the army in their work. This can be quite risky. On the other hand, the state-owned Grain Company is responsible for the market purchase and sale of grain. They procure grain in the market to ensure the supply. They will also establish a grain procurement team that can collect grain both from urban areas and rural households, offering more flexibility. Take your time to think about which option suits you better." After Li Guofu finished speaking, he lifted the tea cup from the table and took a sip, patiently waiting for Zhang Jianjun to reach a decision.

"Thank you for your trouble, I would like to join the state-owned Grain Company." After a quarter of an hour, Zhang Jianjun made up his mind. After careful consideration, he felt that his own life was more important. In case of major incidents like bandit raids, he didn't believe he would be luckier than others. Besides, the Grain Company was still labeled as "state-owned," so even if he couldn't stay there in the long run, he believed he could find a similar position in a government organization, gaining valuable experience.

"Good. They will be recruiting in a few days, and I will have the housekeeper notify you when the time comes." Li Guofu wasn't surprised by Zhang Jianjun's choice.

"Sir, what about Shopkeeper Zhang?" After dealing with his own matters, Zhang Jianjun cautiously inquired the shopkeeper's future.

"Shopkeeper Zhang has been working in my household for many years, and I won't mistreat him. You can rest assured." Li Guofu didn't show impatience towards Zhang Jianjun's additional question. Although he couldn't provide a definite answer, he offered a promise.

Seeing that Li Guofu didn't want to delve further into the matter, Zhang Jianjun refrained from further questioning. After conversing for a while longer, Zhang Jianjun got up and took his leave.

A week later, just as Zhang Jianjun had started working at the grain shop, the housekeeper informed him that the state-owned Grain Company would be hiring workers the next day and reminded him not to forget to participate in the recruitment examination. Despite having a recommendation, he still had to go through the test.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2M 763K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
54.3K 5.4K 55
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...
29.2K 729 94
Author: Chan Lai Lai Category: Online Games Science Fiction Release time: 2022-02-17 Latest: Chapter 113 Extra: After the Siege (2)... online science...
11.2K 150 15
  *Live·Gourmet·Territory* Interstellar actually only drinks nutrient solution and doesn't engage in food? ! Wen Mengle said that the future is brigh...