Just for Now

By MelanieGaleaz

Cole and Allison have been in love for as long as either of them could remember. They had gone from sandbox p... More

Author's Note
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Journal Entry - 1
Chapter Five
Journal Entry - 2
Chapter Six
Journal Entry - 3
Chapter Seven
Journal Entry - 4
Chapter Eight
Journal Entry - 5
Chapter Nine
Journal Entry - 6
Chapter Ten
Journal Entry - 7
Journal Entry - 8
Chapter Twelve
Journal Entry - 9
Chapter Thirteen
Journal Entry - 10
Chapter Fourteen
Allison's Journal
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Journal Entry - 11
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

309 24 13
By MelanieGaleaz

Hi all! So sorry for the delay in my posting. Between writer's block and some vacations, I haven't had a chance to write. Hope you all enjoy, though! Remember to comment and vote please :)

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

Day Four
Morning

Cole loved his sister.

He really did.

But one thing he didn't love?

She just couldn't let things be.

After the disaster that was the hiking trip, Scarlett still insisted on turning things around. Somehow, she thought sticking the family on a boat the size of a mini-van was the best way to fix things. Turned out, everyone got into a fight when they got lost. The twins nearly bit each others heads off, but that wasn't exactly anything new. They had made up by the time Cole and Alli had met up with them, but things couldn't be said for the other group that got lost.

Apparently, Scarlett took out some of her frustrations of the day on Matthew, who only had gotten them more lost. Cole thought it was about time that his sister sided with him. It seemed as if Scarlett was trying to make amends, though. She was currently sat next to Matthew on the boat, listening to his rambles with a glazed look in her eyes that told Cole she wasn't listening to a word he was saying.

The instructor happened to be the one driving the boat. She explained the logistics of everything as they were making their way towards the location in the water. She was informing them on the kind of wildlife they could look forward to seeing. Though as soon as the word "stingray" left her mouth, Sam was babbling about how he might suddenly sit out out of the activities.

Cole could hardly complain, the water was gorgeous and the weather was perfect. The ocean was a crystal clear, bright blue paradise. There were turtles and various types of fish swimming around— he had never seen anything like it. The sun was bright with some clouds to offer them moments of respite from the strong sun rays. It felt like they had stepped into a dream. Cole didn't typically love the ocean, but it was almost impossible to not look forward to exploring everything he was seeing.

The group eventually got into the water. Cole wasn't ever too crazy about exploring the water, making him stick to the surface for the majority of the excursion. He kept an eye on Allison, watching her carefully as she ducked below the surface and swam alongside some turtles. Despite everything, he couldn't help but smile. She looked incredibly carefree in the water— all the tension gone from her body. Her red hair flowed behind her and the water glistened against her skin... she looked beautiful.

Once in a while, his attention would be pulled from Allison and he'd watch someone else for a few minutes. Cole had never seen Nate like this. The singer would shout every time he saw any sea life at all. Scarlett would swim patiently with a fond smile on her face as Nate would go looking for a new animal. Cole noticed that she would wait for Nate to point something out so he could tell her about it first. He picked up on it when Scarlett moved out of the way for a turtle to allow it to swim in Nate's direction, only paying it any attention when her fiancé called her over excitedly.

Naturally, the twins were having a less than tranquil interaction. At first, Sam thought that every stingray he saw would be the one to, as he put it, "take him out". It was only when the instructor told him for the fifth time that it was incredibly unlikely did he seem to relax some. Lila detested the water, squirming out of the way whenever anything swam towards her. It was obvious that she was trying to pretend to be okay with it all, but it was also clear that she didn't want anyone pointing that out.

Now accustomed to the sea life, Sam was splashing around in an attempt to see the most of the reef that he could. He would pop up from the water every few minutes and take in a gulp of air before submerging below once more. The instructor had been trying to tell him there was no need considering he had a mouth piece for air, but it seemed useless with how fast he was moving.

"You don't need to come up for air, you know," the instructor advised when she finally caught Sam coming up for one of his routine breaths. "You have the snorkel gear."

"Got it," Sam stated right before he sucked in a deep breath and went back under. Lila rolled her eyes when he appeared only a few moments later again for air, opting to swim in the opposite direction. 

Cole tried to refrain from looking over at his mother and Matthew. The two were, unfortunately, being sickeningly sweet. Matthew held Lorena's hand, guiding her around the water calmly and showing her various sights to see. Cole couldn't deny the look of pure happiness on his mother's face, and it was the first time he was actually grateful for Matthew. Over the last few years, it was rare to see her this happy this often. But still, it stung to admit that he hadn't seen her smile like that since she was with their father. Part of him was grateful while the other part of him didn't know how to handle it.

He decided to move over to Allison in the water. At one point, he may have tried to sneak up on her. She always found it fun when he used to do that, but he didn't think she would have the same reaction she did before. Cole swam in front of her, waving at her below the water. She waved back and started for the surface, kicking her legs underneath her. The two broke through the water, removing their mouth pieces.

Allison stared at him a bit expectantly, as if waiting for him to speak. It felt odd to need a reason to speak to her now, but it was where they were at in their relationship at this point. He cleared his throat, trying to think of what to say to her. "You having fun?"

Cole winced as he spoke the words when Allison's eyebrows furrowed together. "Uh, yeah, this is great. A lot better than the hike."

"Yeah," he agreed with a laugh. "You, uh, see any sharks?"

"Sharks?" Sam interjected suddenly with wide eyes, jolting up from the water.

"Sharks don't come over here," the instructor shouted as if she had anticipated it.

Sam raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Do the sharks know that?"

"Haven't seen any," Allison reported back to Cole with a tight smile.

"Good, good." Cole flashed her a smile and a thumbs-up, really trying his best to not scold himself out loud. He wasn't sure how he could win her back when they were speaking like strangers.

"Well, I'm gonna go get some water," she told him as she gestured to the boat, starting to move slowly towards the ladder.

Cole nodded quickly, moving with her as he said, "I'll come."

The rest of the family was taking a break in the boat when they got back on. Sam was ranting to Lila about the various sea life that could have attacked him; but his twin didn't seem to be listening, too busy relishing in the relief of being back on the boat. Nate wrapped a towel around Scarlett's shoulders. She smiled brightly at the gesture, and it really looked like she was staring at him as if they were the only two people in the world.

Allison gasped suddenly, causing the group to turn to her in question. She stood with her hand out in front of her, water dripping from her hair. "Oh my god, my ring."

Cole didn't even notice at first because it was more normal these days to see her without the ring than with it. But since being on the trip, they had both started wearing them again. It took him a moment to realize the ring was gone, and by Allison's reaction, it wasn't intentional this time.

"Oh, shit," Lila cursed, grabbing the girl's hand to see for herself as if looking hard enough would make it reappear.

"On it," Sam reported instantly as if asked to act while he ran towards the edge of the boat.

"Sam, wait!" Scarlett tried as she held her hand out, but it was too late. Sam lunged off the boat and tugged his knees up to his chest. Cole winced as his brother's body made harsh contact with the water, waves erupting around the boat.

"Nice going dipshit!" Lila shouted at him angrily as he resurfaced, wiping the water from the splash off her face. "If it was anywhere before, it's miles away now!"

"Language!" Lorena scolded as she walked over to Allison, placing a comforting hand on her back.

"I didn't see you coming up with any ideas!" Sam retorted to his sister.

"We have snorkeling gear," Lila emphasized as she held it up above her.

"Then toss me it!" he suggested as if it was obvious. Lila groaned, chucking the gear at him.

Cole glanced around unsurely, wondering if there was any chance at all at finding it. He knew he had to try, though. He made his way towards the ladder of the boat, silently sending out some sort of prayer that he would find it. He wasn't sure it was even worth it, considering the state of his relationship. But he promised himself he would at least try to get Alli back. A grand gesture wouldn't be the worst first step.

He dropped from the ladder into the water gently, hoping to not cause any more damage than Sam already did. Cole sucked in a breath as he went under, brushing his hands over the sand to feel around for the ring. Whenever he hit a rock or a shell, he jolted a bit with hope only to come up short. Cole saw a figure from the corner of his eye, noting Nate next to him in the water as he conducted his own search. Maybe it was fitting that she lost her ring. After this trip, she wouldn't have to wear it ever again anyway if things didn't turn around. A voice in his head told him that there was no use in looking for the ring, but he also was trying to hold out on some sort of hope.

He remembered the day he proposed to her like it was yesterday.

Cole could still feel the rush of pure excitement he felt when she had uttered "yes" to his question. He clung onto that feeling for these last few months, and it stung that the thing that tied him to that memory was floating away in the ocean.

After a bit, Cole stood up in the water, heaving a sigh. He shook his head once to rid the water. Opening his mouth, he went to shout that there was no use in looking, that it could be anywhere in the ocean by now.

But then he felt something circular move into his hand.

Cole looked down, biting back a gasp at what he held in his hand.

He found it.

He didn't even know how that was possible.

But it quite literally floated into his hands just now.

Cole wasn't one to believe in miracles typically, but he would have to qualify this as one.

The ring came back to him.

Cole opened his mouth, ready to shout to his family about his find. But then his eyes landed on Allison, who hadn't taken her eyes off the spot on her finger where that very ring once was. There was something about the look in her eyes. They looked... gentle, almost. It was something he hadn't seen in a long time. The closest thing he could describe it as was peace.

Cole wasn't sure what it was, but whatever it was made him close his fist around the ring.

He cleared his throat, stepping onto the ladder of the boat and stuffing the ring in his pocket.

He made his way up, spotting Alli in the corner being consoled by his oldest sister. Scarlett must have heard him coming over, turning to see him. She gave him a solemn look as she moved out of the way, allowing Cole to head in Alli's direction. She didn't lift her gaze to meet his own as he stood in front of her,

"I'm sorry," Allison whispered out, her eyes on the floor in front of her. Cole let out a deep breath as he crouched down, tilting his head to meet her gaze. The last thing he wanted was for her to feel guilty about this— he wasn't even sure what the ring really was for anymore anyway.

"I'll look all night, you know I will," Cole started in a low voice, his hand reaching up to cup her cheek. It looked like Allison was holding her breath as she waited for him to continue. He sucked in sharply, asking in the quietest voice he could muster, "But do you want me to?"

Tears welled up in Allison's green eyes, her nose tinting red as she stared at Cole carefully. The look on her face gave Cole the answer he needed and something about it made his chest tighten. It took her a moment before she shook her head just slightly, and the ring suddenly felt heavier in his pocket. He nodded at her subtly before standing back up, turning to the driver and nodding his head once.

Turning to his family, Cole shook his head. "Let's head out guys, I don't think we're gonna have much luck."

His mother's head darted over, concern in her eyes. "You sure, sweetie?"

Allison mustered a watery smile, nodding with her hand on her stomach. "Yeah, we have insurance on it. Good excuse to get a new one."

Sam beamed at her, pointing a finger in her direction. "Now that's a good way of thinking."

"Reece and I had to get me a new ring once, I can help you submit a claim tonight?" Lorena offered kindly, rubbing a hand on Allison's arm. "It shouldn't take too long."

Oh, good— Cole would be committing a crime, considering the ring was quite literally in his pocket. Fraud... this would be a new one for him. He could do fraud, he supposed.

"I feel like we should stop with the activities, huh?" Scarlett suggested feebly, appearing slightly guilty as she spoke.

Nate let out a short laugh. "Well, let's just hope the wedding goes smoother than the past few days."

No one said anything for a moment. If they spoke, they might jinx it. They had a tendency for that sort of thing. The universe had a cruel sense of humor in that way, it loved to spoil their plans. The rest of the wedding guests would start arriving tomorrow. The next couple of days would have welcome parties along with the rehearsal dinner before the wedding. It had to go smoothly, they had earned that by now.

Cole was sure the wedding would go fine. After all, what could really go wrong?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1K 511 30
• What if you got into a book and woke up as a character in that book? • Well... this is the story of a girl who has a depressing life getting a sec...
505K 16K 38
Nora James has spent her entire life taking care of her sisters. After her parent's messy divorce and her mother's desire to pursue her own dreams aw...
2.6K 306 35
Sandra had just signed her divorce papers from her cheating husband that she wasn't ready to let go. Now she has to learn to live her own life. But w...
267K 16.4K 26
~~ Book 3 of The Marrying You Series. This can be read as a stand alone but I recommened you read the other two books too. ~~ Vanessa Brady is thirty...