The Lonely Warrior Queen

Oleh LavenderHamsa

It all started when Princess Catheline married the dangerously attractive and recently crowned King of Anthre... Lebih Banyak

{Chapter 1}
{Chapter 2}
{Chapter 3}
{Chapter 4}
{Chapter 5}
{Chapter 6}
{Chapter 7}
{Chapter 8}
{Chapter 9}
{Chapter 10}
{Chapter 11}
{Chapter 12}
{Chapter 13}
{Chapter 14}
{Chapter 15}
{Chapter 16}
{Chapter 17}
{Chapter 18}
{Chapter 19}
{Chapter 20}
{Chapter 21}
{Chapter 22}
{Chapter 23}
{Chapter 24}
{Chapter 25}
{Chapter 26}
{Chapter 27}
{Chapter 28}
{Chapter 29}
{Chapter 30}
{Chapter 31}
{Chapter 32}
{Chapter 33}
{Chapter 34}
{Chapter 35}
{Chapter 36}
{Chapter 37}
{Chapter 38}
{Chapter 39}
{Chapter 40}
{Chapter 41}
{Chapter 42}
{Chapter 43}
{Chapter 44}
{Chapter 45}
{Chapter 46}
{Chapter 47}
{Chapter 48}
{Chapter 49}
{Chapter 50}
{Chapter 51}
{Chapter 52}
{Chapter 53}
{Chapter 54}
{Chapter 55}
{Chapter 56}
{Chapter 57}
{Chapter 58}
{Chapter 59}
{Chapter 60}
{Chapter 61}
{Chapter 62}
{Chapter 63}
{Chapter 64}
{Chapter 65}
{Chapter 66}
{Chapter 67}
{Chapter 68}
{Chapter 69}
{Chapter 70}
{Chapter 71}
{Chapter 72}
{Chapter 73}
{Chapter 74}
{Chapter 75}
{Chapter 76}
{Chapter 77}
{Chapter 78}
{Chapter 79}
{Chapter 80}
{Chapter 81}
{Chapter 82}
{Chapter 83}
{Chapter 84}
{Chapter 85}
{Chapter 86}
{Chapter 87}
{Chapter 88}
{Chapter 89}
{Chapter 90}
{Chapter 92}
{Chapter 93}
{Chapter 94}
{Chapter 95}
{Chapter 96}
{Chapter 97}
{Chapter 98}
{Chapter 99}
{Chapter 100}
{Chapter 101}
{Chapter 102}
{Chapter 103}
{Chapter 104}
{Chapter 105}
{Chapter 106}
{Chapter 107}
{Chapter 108}
{Chapter 109}
{Chapter 110}
{Chapter 111}
{Chapter 112}
{Chapter 113}
{Chapter 114}
{Chapter 115}
{Chapter 116}
{Chapter 117}
{Epilogue I}
{Epilogue II}
ו My Review •×
!NEW STORY!
×Swords and Schemes×

{Chapter 91}

1.2K 63 3
Oleh LavenderHamsa

Catheline's POV:

One day.

Just one day left for his birthday.

For the last two months, I saw improvement and changes. Not only in myself but the ones around me. My rules and overseeing didn't fail and turned into a disaster. My duties felt more like a friend, a close companion.

The winter snow had melted away the gush of warmth and spring was near the edge. The snow was gone but not the cold winds. Soon, they all will be replaced with the warmth of spring and different scents of flowers around the castle gardens.

I was right there, walking through the blue roses while stroking the ones in full bloom tenderly. This was the heart of the gardens, my most precious and beloved area. Hence, everyone knew how precise and cautious they had to be when caring for it. I felt the sprouting grass brushing past my footwear, feeling giddy from all my plans for tomorrow. 

"He doesn't want a big celebration," I told Sir Vincent as we paced on the soft ground. "But I can't let it pass uncelebrated,"

"There shall be more festivities to come when the war is over, Your Grace," the man replied eloquently. His sky-blue and white clothes radiated in the sun's rays. Even here, he wore the uniform assigned to the knights in Peliasse.

"Have any news from the arrangement of the troops?" I questioned, clasping my hands and coming to a halt.

There was an outburst of hundreds of soldiers and their mounts, sent by different kingdoms who allied with Anthreal. Dalia and Quenisa had already sent their lot and combined with the army of this kingdom, the numbers reached seventy thousand. Dalia had contributed quite the much, twenty thousand alone, and would send more if needed.

The ones from Peliasse would take more time to arrive for weather reasons and soon, within a month they too would arrive. By the passing days, I was getting more aware that the real march would begin soon. The moment they receive intelligence from the spies they had sent to the enemy's territory.

I felt Xander's tense form whenever he received a letter from there. So far, we got the news that all five men had reached the place safely and soon would enact their scheme. Letters were hard to send as the security seemed tight there. The messenger birds must be guarded and overseen with caution, just the same as how things went around in Anthreal.

Xander stationed the foreign armies near the borders, closer to the Sunster's residence as there were large empty fields there. Having so much population in the capital might interfere with people's daily lives and chores.

Through all of this, my men, the ones Vincent suggested, grew to the number of twenty. Since Xander had to leave and discuss possible plans and accommodations in person, he had to leave the castle several times at the least. Her men came useful as she sent a few of them behind him in secret and so far, they hadn't been caught. She knew that Carlos and Zane were reliable, even if they didn't seem so serious or professional.

So far, there had been no attacks or revelations of secret cults or bases. But I knew that by the passing day, fewer people are being uprooted and revealed of treason. I had the twins go around and look for anyone suspicious. Any crime was not too small. Peace had to be enforced thoroughly, even by force.

In any packets of free time I got, I held my sword once again, getting familiar with the sways and swings. Sometimes, I wished that I could prowl the streets along with the men I chose and give hope to people that the future will be bright.

I held a hand to my head, going over the surprise plan I made for Xander tomorrow. I doubted if he even knew about it. But I concealed that I knew from him.

"Tomorrow must be perfect, Vincent," I squealed like a child with a nervous smile. "Is the route and the spot all clear?"

"You have asked for the umpteenth time this day alone, Your Grace..." the man shook his head. "But yes. No one shall see you two tomorrow. All except---"

"Alright," I muttered quietly, looking around us.

Xander could be snooping around on me for a while. Not intentionally though. He appeared in the most random places, startling me a few times. He can't know about the surprise.

He had been growing a little clingy during the time they had together. He was more sweeter and protective but equally tired. Seeing him exhausted and yet so cheery made me happy. Though I doubted that he only showed that side to me and me alone.

"What did Nathaniel say this morning?" I questioned, as I began walking again.

"He said that the King doesn't remember tomorrow," He replied. "And he will remain busy until late at night. As you are aware, things with Sulfia had been rough,"

I stepped into the summer house and sat at the corner of the arc-cushioned seat, keeping a hand on the table in front of me. Sulfia. Yes, that was a problem that had to be dealt with.

"And I suppose that he intends to leave for the camp two or three days later,"

I looked at him, my sadness is visible on my face. He would be gone again. And I would be left sleepless and devoid of peace. He was my peace. I had to feel his warmth and pulse every night to ensure his safety. But I had to prepare myself for the long run. Wars can take years to finish.

"Well, we just have to deal with it," I signed, leaning back. "Send a word to Carlos,"

Vincent nodded and kept his silence while I did the same. They were at a point of no return. They just had to move forward and never look back.
.................................................................

I was once again in my study, looking at the expenses required to purchase the necessary materials and supplies for the castle. Thankfully, all the crops throughout the kingdom showed health.

After my husband's safety, my main focus was to improve the trades. Through taverns and other sources, Zane managed to acquire information about the most important traders and merchants.

At first, I wanted to know if they had other dark business and possibly be treasonous. But I got to learn much more about the topic. The fact that half of the foreign traders were women made a special feeling of pride in me.

After signing a few permission slips for leaving the castle, I handed them over to the new head maid, Alina. She was a woman in her forties and yet, I have never seen such an energetic personality from someone before. Maybe except for Karra.

"Keep an eye out and make sure they don't wander around," I told her with a smile.

"Yes, of course, Your Grace," she bobbed her head.

After that, she left and soon Karra entered the room with the cage in her hands. The sight of her pets made me beam.

"They are fed," she informed, resting the cage on the table made just for them. "They are quite noisy when kept away from you,"

I shook my head, reminded of every time Xander burned with jealousy whenever I held them. But he had been hiding it for a few weeks. I just couldn't get over his silly antics.

"Where is Lucy?" I queried and walked up to the cage, greeting my birds. It was nice to see that both of them were in good health.

"She is down in the kitchens, trying my recipes," Karra became, her chest puffing in pride. "I wrote down a few of them,"

"I will help you get a bakery if you want to," I assured with a grin.

"Not at all!" she mumbled, holding up her hands. "I would never leave you alone, Your Grace! I shall always be at your side," 

"And what if I marry you away?"

Her face turned red and for a moment, I knew that she was imagining the possibility. And then, she shook her head violently.

"I will not marry anyone..."  

"What about Leon?" I quirked an eyebrow. Her face turned redder as she just stood there with a blank face.

Leon was a sweet man to Karra. Often I see them talking, but while he was trying to court her properly, giving small gifts like flowers or candies, she always refused them. But she can't stay away for that long. I was aware of the feelings she didn't even know existed.

"He is a brute," she pouted, wringing her arms. "Never gives me a rest from seeing his stupid face. He always bothers me with his nonsense,"

"Just give him a chance, Karra," I suggested, looking back at my birds. "For one thing, he won't leave you alone for now,"

I wasn't sure if she would take the advice. Karra's loyalties were obvious. I had to make her think that there was a future waiting for her. And it didn't depend entirely on mine.
.................................................................

It was night soon. I had one last work; to apply ointment to the cuts I got while carving wood. My senses were sharp and accurate but my frustration had not changed. Using the right amount of force was necessary but sometimes, I used too much of it. It resulted in injuries.

Xander's eyes never failed to notice but I was quick to calm him down. Hiding under the cover of 'working for a personal project' ended tonight. Tomorrow would be fun.

After I was done, I glanced through the window of my chambers and gazed at the stars above. Every gush of wind made me queasy about the next day. Would the plan work without failure? Would we need more proper protection?

After spending enough time, I turned back at shuddered at the sight. It turned out that my husband had already returned and was watching me up close. This was the snooping I was talking about.

"Don't ever try that on me again," I clenched my fists, calming my heart rate. There was a small chance that I could hurt him. It was different when fighting with someone who was assumed to have no combat.

Xander released a chuckle before coming forward. He better apologize. "I'm sorry for startling you," he said, making me feel a little happier. "But you are so adorable when you're flustered,"

I shook my head dismissively. There was no way I could wage war against his words. Besides, I took it as a compliment.

"What's on your mind?" I felt his caressing my cheek. "Is something wrong?"

Was he pretending not to remember? Or was he truly this ignorant about his life? Did he choose to forget it instead of having it as a painful reminder? I didn't know what it was but none of them mattered tomorrow. I wanted to see a special change in him.

I rested a hand on his shoulder, which allowed him to see the wrappings of the fabric. He took it on both of his hands tenderly, as if it was his heart.

"No wonder your father asked you to stop," he sighed as he planted a kiss on top of it. "You are either talented or reckless,"

"They will heal," I shrugged, moving closer to him. "Are you busy tomorrow?"

"Of course," he narrowed his eyes. "Why?"

"Well..." I bit my lip quietly, looking up at him. "We barely have time for each other. Don't you want to take a break?"

It was a silly question but he provided a legitimate answer to it.

"You are aware of how much stuffed my head is," he smiled, not happily. "By the passing minute, I feel like I'm drowning in my doubts and thoughts. It's too heavy,"

It always was for him. But I didn't want him to spend his birthday buried in work and not even acknowledge that it was his special day. Maybe it would lag him off work for a day but I wanted him to reach the surface and breathe for once. His weary face had made me worried enough.

'Protect him. Assist him. Guide him, and most importantly, Love him,'

The words were a distant memory and yet they burned like a fire in my heart.

"I want you all for myself tomorrow," I whispered, in a serious tone. I could have almost revealed the surprise to him.

He gave me a small thug, making me cling to him. "You can keep me to yourself the whole night,"

His playful suggestions were driving me to the point of insanity. I blushed as much as my body would allow before pushing him away. I enjoyed the teasings but encouraging him would only bring me harm.

"Just go to bed and make sure to wake up early," I reminded him before sprinting toward the bed and hiding under the duvet, giving him no chance.

I had to wake up early tomorrow,  to over a few things. Nathaniel knows of the plan and will do his best to provide support.

After a moment and movements of the blankets, a warm arm wrapped around my waist. It made me smile.

Tomorrow will be the best day for Xander to remember.
____________________________________

Author's note:

😍

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

378K 18.1K 55
𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢...
36K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
4 0 5
Set in 1860, homophobia is a huge thing. Who knew the prince of London would fall for the enemy. Haneul's home country, Korea, declared war on Englan...