Envy and Evelyn || The Twilig...

Oleh lady-salvatore

Evelyn Swan is not Charlie's daughter. Whoever her real father was had abandoned her when she was born to Ren... Lebih Banyak

Overview
Preface
Chapter One: Homecoming
Chapter Two: Visitors
Chapter Three: First Day
Chapter Four: Note
Chapter Five: Crash
Chapter Six: Photograph
Chapter Seven: Fear
Chapter Eight: Port Angeles
Chapter Nine: Real
Chapter Ten: Vampire
Chapter Twelve: A.
Chapter Thirteen: Dreams

Chapter Eleven: The Girl

164 8 14
Oleh lady-salvatore

The next morning, I woke up to a single text from Jacob.

Get ready. Pick you up at 6.

Confused, I sent back, To go where?

I waited patiently, biting my nails as I watched my phone. Instead of sending back an answer, he sent a cryptic, Don't worry about it.

I growled and got out of bed. This was what I got for dating Jacob Black of all people. Evasive, teasing, borderline sadistic Jacob Black, who thought it was funny to make plans based around my personal vendetta against a lack of control.

I got up and got ready, but not before monitoring Bella, who was at the computer, sending off an email to our mother. I wondered about her relationship with Edward Cullen– was she in danger? After all, he was a vampire. They drank blood. I searched for any sorts of bites on her, seeing nothing visible.

She turned halfway and raised an eyebrow. "Can I help you?"

I shrugged.

Bella turned to me, her dark brown eyes ringed with black from a lack of sleep, I guessed. "You've been acting weird lately. Is something up?"

I shrugged again, shaking my head. "Nope."

She narrowed her eyes. "Evie, I've known you long enough to tell when you're lying to me."

I sighed. "Are you dating Edward Cullen?"

She flushed. "Um..."

My eyes widened. "Bella! Why didn't you tell me?"

She shrugged defensively. "I thought you knew!"

"It's not like it's common knowledge! When were you gonna tell me that you were dating him?"

She looked down, away from me.

I gaped. "You weren't going to tell me?"

"I just..." She sighed. "It's complicated."

I'd had it. Right there in the middle of my room, before I'd even so much as brushed my teeth, I decided to let loose the crux of the issue. "Complicated like he's a vampire."

As soon as she looked up at me, I knew I was right. I knew she knew, too. Her dark eyes were bigger than I'd ever seen them, her mouth dropped open.

"Evie..." she said carefully. "W..." She fumbled for words. It wasn't often that your sister called you out on dating a vampire, so I could understand the struggle.

"Yeah, I found your search history," I admitted, "and I didn't guess you'd taken an interest in Anne Rice novels."

"Eve–"

"How could you not tell me?" I cried. "I'm your sister!"

She stood up. "It's not my secret to tell. Besides, it's not exactly the easiest thing to tell somebody."

"I just... we're sisters, Bella. Didn't you think you could trust me with this?" I asked, shaking my head in disbelief.

She sighed. "I trust you with my life. But..."

"But?" I asked, frowning.

"Things are different now." She crossed her arms.

I shook my head. "They're not. You're the only one who's different."

Before she could say anything else, I went to the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I felt lousy for yelling at her, partly because I hated fighting with my sister, and partly because I knew I was a huge hypocrite. I'd been the one hiding things, stacking up too many secrets to count about my father and my search for him– including the fact that he dealt with vampires.

I took the day getting ready to see Jacob, distracting myself from my sister's glare by straightening out my hair and putting on a cute outfit– a twirly, short black skirt and black tights with an oversized green sweater I stole from Bella's wardrobe. I paired the outfit with a pair of black ballet flats.

I gave myself a quick look in the mirror before I headed downstairs a few minutes before 6.

I stood in front of my dad, who was at the table cleaning his shotgun threateningly. I sighed.

"Dad, you don't have to do that every time a boy's coming over," I groaned.

He grinned mischievously. "Sure I do."

"But you like Jacob!" I said defensively.

Dad hummed. "I like him as my buddy's kid. As my daughter's boyfriend, I'm iffy."

The doorbell rang. I pointed to him. "Be good."

"Yeah, we'll see," he grumbled.

I went to answer the door to see Jacob.

He looked adorable and nervous, all cleaned up in a partially-unbuttoned white button up and his newest jeans. His hair was tied back neatly, and he held some flowers in his hand. I could tell from the dangling roots at the bottom that he'd picked them himself, which made me smile harder.

"Hey," he said, his voice almost shaky.

I grinned. "Hi."

"These are for you." He handed the flowers– which were wrapped in paper– to me. They were beautiful, an array of wildflowers from scarlet paintbrushes to purple foxgloves, and a few I didn't recognize.

I kissed his cheek and dragged him inside. "Thank you, Jake." I turned to Dad. "Look, Dad, he got me flowers. Isn't that nice?"

"It's absolutely darling," he grumbled under his breath as I went to put the flowers in some water.

"Hey, Charlie," Jacob said with a smile.

"It's Chief Swan now."

"Yes, sir."

I chuckled as I finished putting the flowers on the windowsill and then turned to Jacob. "Ready?"

He nodded with a grin. "I'm not sure you are."

Dad pointed at him. "She's home by ten."

"Dad!" I whined, giving him my best puppy eyes.

He sighed. "Eleven."

"Got ya," Jacob said with a smile. "I'll take good care of her."

"I know you will." Despite himself, my dad let free a smile. I knew he was happy. He and Billy had only been talking about this since Jacob and I were born. Both of them hadn't really given much thought to the idea that either of us would ever end up with someone else. I guess they were right to think so, because I really couldn't see myself away from Jacob, ever.

Jacob and I left. Neither of us could drive yet, so Jacob had considered that and selected a date within walking distance. As we walked, hand in hand, I could only think about how there was no place in the world I'd rather be.

I swung our hands between us. "So, where are we going on our first official date?"

He grinned. "I bet you think I'm a dork for doing the whole cheesy thing– the... the shirt, the flowers..."

"No!" I said, shaking my head. "It's sweet, Jake. I like it all."

He looked down at me with uncertainty. "You sure?"

"Yes," I said decisively. "I'm a girl. I love cheesy stuff."

He laughed. "I just really don't wanna mess this up."

I smiled. "You can't mess it up– it's me."

"That's the problem," he sighed. "It's you. You're not just... a date. You're not just any girl– you're the girl. I've been pining over you for half my life. It's just not fair if I screw it up."

My heart softened even more, if it were possible. "Half your life?"

"The Mike Newton thing was my worst nightmare." He shook his head, laughing at himself. "I moped for a week. Dad finally kicked me out of the house until I could smile. Then, this summer, he threatened to send me to live with Harry and Sue if I didn't shut up about you leaving."

I turned to him, holding both of his hands in mine. I smiled. "I'm ridiculously in love with you, Jacob Black."

Jacob's face broke out in a more ridiculous smile. "You know, that part wasn't planned until 8 o'clock, so..."

I shook my head, laughing at him. "Shut up."

He grinned and kissed me. "I love you, Evelyn Swan."

The date was better than any date I'd ever been on. Jacob took me to get dinner at the diner in town, then to a movie– something stupidly romantic that I got way too invested in. Then, he dropped me off back on my doorstep at 11. I kissed him goodbye and headed inside.

Dad was on the couch, half-asleep. He stirred, waking up as I closed the door behind me. "How was your date?"

I sighed dreamily. "Amazing."

He cringed. "That code for something, or?"

"No, Dad," I laughed. "We went to dinner and a movie. He was a perfect gentleman."

Dad hummed in approval. "Good. Does he have a ride home?"

"Billy's outside already," I said with a smile. "I'm going upstairs."

I walked quickly upstairs, finding Bella on her bed in her pajamas, rereading Wuthering Heights. I smiled as I twirled around the room. I was elated, forgetting any other emotion in the world.

Bella, despite being still upset with me, laughed softly. "So, I take it the date was good?"

"Perfect," I whispered, flopping down on her bed. "So perfect that I don't even care that you have a vampire boyfriend, or that you hid it from me."

Bella half-smiled. "Good to hear."

I sighed. "I'm sorry I was a brat."

"Somehow, I'll find it in my heart to forgive you," she teased, reaching out to hug me. I embraced her. "I'm sorry I was keeping secrets."

"No, you were right," I said. "Things are different now. We're in Forks. You have Edward, I have Jake..." I smiled at her. "Back in Phoenix, it always felt like it was just us. It's not like that anymore– and that's a good thing."

She smiled back. "When'd you get so wise?"

"Sometime between birth and now." I grinned teasingly.

I told Bella all about my date with Jacob, until she fell asleep. Then, I went to the computer to check my email– I still hadn't gotten a reply from Mom, but I had a new one, with no subject, from an email address consisting of jumbled letters and numbers.

I opened it, expecting spam. What I found was much, much worse. Right there, in black and white—

Evelyn,

I appreciate your endeavors to find me. They've been admirable. You've made strides. You're close. Too close for my comfort, and for your safety.

I must request that you stop trying. Effective immediately.

Lovingly,

A.T.B.

I stared at the screen in shock, reading the email over and over.

A.T.B.

A.

I was a lot of things– sarcastic, petulant, curious– and unbearably stupid was probably about to be added to that list.

Because if there was one thing I knew for sure, now I'd never stop hunting for my father. Not when I was this close.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

19.4K 480 19
Life is normal for Harper Black until her dad's best friend's youngest daughter, Bella Swan, comes back into town. (_-_-_-_-_...
11K 358 15
Y/n Swan has just moved to Forks, Washington with his younger sister Bella to spend some time with their Dad (Charlie). After moving the two siblings...
1.3M 24K 47
Britt Swan is Bella's adopted sister. She's been living in Forks for 4 years with Charlie but after Bella comes into town, she brings not only hersel...
99.1K 4.2K 84
☄︎ ⋆·˚ ⋆ *. ⇒ 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐅𝐓 ✧✧✧ "What did you see?" "I'm not sure" Alice replied, "do you know anyone c...