Pernicious Blood//A Camp Mine...

By StacklessPancake

If you could get your back home, your family, your life, would you take it? In Cycle of Vengeance's sequel, t... More

Prologue: Deal with the Devil

Chapter One: Past Scars

50 7 9
By StacklessPancake

AN: To everyone who knows my time zone, ignore when this was published

TW: Errrr, past scars (woah roll the credits)??? Y'all this one is pretty wholesome

     Biffle inhaled the crisp, clean air of the night. Almost as soon as he did, he burst into a coughing fit, the old remnants of smoke snagging in his lungs. As he collected himself, his scars began to ache with the exertion from coughing.

     He inwardly groaned. Stupid dragon.

     A month had passed since he'd been resurrected. His wounds had healed as much as they could, but nasty scars marred his flesh. Sigils still had his monocle, which was slightly annoying, but he figured he'd just let his friend keep it.

     Peace had settled once Biffle had stopped Jerome from trying to maul Henwy. And Sigils from trying to hit him upside the head with an axe.

     Needless to say, not everyone was pleased with Henwy's revival. It didn't help that the group's past seemed more integrated in their lives than expected. Henwy's faults would forever plague him in the form of reptilian eyes and large, leathery wings. Sigils had taken to his old alias, sprouting bat wings and fangs. Biffle's hands had turned to claws as his hearing sharpened once more. Likewise, Alxton had gone back to his vampiric roots.

     Some of the campers had never returned from their eternal rest. The sorcerers, Frost, Florian, and Rafessor, along with Gold and Karan, never awoke. Lookumz and Ambrew were included, the latter being much to Alxton's disappointment.

     Loaf was also nowhere to be found, but after the short recount that Henwy had shared with Biffle, he was glad. According to the hybrid, the man had been responsible for the downfall of their old home. After opening a dimensional rift and unleashing creatures Henwy had called 'The Nightmares', the last surviving members had fallen one by one.

     Biffle knew Sigils didn't trust the man one bit, but no one was enough of a fool to not believe his story. The man was scarred head to toe in slash marks only the likes of a monster could create.

     Frankly, even though Henwy had caused all of them so much strife, Biffle was inclined to forgive him. Or, at least give him a second chance. Or was this a third chance? Nevertheless, he seemed more like the old Henwy. His friend, not the dictator whose greed had blinded him.

     Right now, however, the peace was faltering. Alxton had sent him an urgent letter describing how his prized establishment, the bank, had been robbed. Biffle was the self-acclaimed sheriff and the best detective in camp, though when boasting he neglected to admit that he was the only detective in camp. He began to climb the stairs leading to Alxton's bank, glancing down the winding hill in case he spotted anything suspicious.

     He turned the sleek golden handle and opened the door, immediately catching the gaze of a distraught fox hybrid.

     "Biffle!" Alxton cried, rushing over to the detective, "Someone robbed the bank!"

     After a quick recounting of what the bank owner had discovered upon entering the establishment, Biffle was led to the back where the vault was held. The area looked untouched, but upon closer inspection, the barrels that once held valuables, particularly diamonds, had been taken.

     Biffle narrowed his eyes, taking out his trusty book and quill. The vault was as pristine as always. The robber hadn't been in a hurry. They took their time. This had been calculated. He paced the interior, scanning the walls. If someone had planned this, surely there would be some clue.

     He opened Zud's barrel, immediately sighing. "The robber is stupid."

     Alxton, who was inspecting the wall across from him, flicked an ear. "Huh?"

     "They left the most valuable thing here: Zud's abhorrent amount of bread."

     Alxton chuckled. "Thank goodness. I wouldn't know how to break the news to him."

     Biffle closed the barrel and rubbed his hand under his chin. "What was taken again?"

     "Diamonds from every barrel, except the Bread Lord over there."

     "But not all of them?" He inquired.

     "No."

     Biffle furrowed his brow. "No as in 'not all of them' or no as in 'no, not all of them'?"

     "Not all of them," Altxton replied, hovering over Biffle's shoulder to peer at the man's book.

     So far, there was only the phrase 'Sigils stinks' scribbled in barely legible chicken scratch. Alxton nodded solemnly.

     "You practically caught the culprit already."

     Biffle smiled and shook his head. "No, but I do have some suspicions."

     Alxton tilted his head. "Oh?"

     "Nope, not telling you." Biffle slammed his Very Important notebook shut, whirling on his heel and heading towards the door. "I'll get back to you!" He called over his shoulder.

     He exited the bank, his head swimming. The robber had been very smart indeed. That immediately ruled out any case of fraud from Alxton. Kate was more enthralled by her treehouse than wealth.

     Jerome... yeah, right. He would've burned it down instead of stealing anything.

     So, who was left? Sigils, Nico, Henwy, Biffle, though he was pretty sure it wasn't him, Blushi, and Zud.

     Nico had been in the mines for days- almost a week at this point- and if the state of his house was any indication, he hadn't been home for quite some time. Plus, Nico was true. He wouldn't steal.

     Blushi had already started mayoral campaigns so it seemed unlikely that she would risk her reputation for a few diamonds, but he'd keep an eye on her. He didn't know her well enough to make a call.

     Sigils, Henwy, and Zud.

     Sigils had never done anything like this before. He and Biffle were best friends, he would know if Sigils had done it. And yet....

     It seemed right up his alley. This was premeditated. Analytical. Who was more analytical than Sigils?

     Zud was probably smart enough, but from the rumors he'd heard, he, Kate, and Alxton had been the ones arguing for peace. Assuming his morals hadn't changed, why would he stir up trouble now? Still, Biffle would keep an eye on him, just in case.

     Henwy. Biffle shouldn't assume.

     He shouldn't.

     But....

     He had been the source of three drastic, world-changing events. On top of that, he'd been a dictator with an iron fist on the camper's finances. Even earlier than that, he'd run the Mafia and a black market.

     He felt bad because he didn't really have any evidence against Henwy- in fact, the hybrid had been gathering building supplies all week amicably, but this was Henwy.

     Sigils, Zud, Henwy, or Blushi. Biffle was sure the culprit was one of those four.

     Attempting to adjust his monocle before once again realizing its presence on his face was a phantom, he cracked his knuckles and turned towards a where he'd last seen Henwy go.

     It was time for interrogations.

     After navigating the forest for a few hours, at least until the morning rays shone through the canopy, and Totally Not getting lost, he stumbled upon a peculiar sight.

     Henwy and Jerome. Both alive. Neither drawing weapons, save for the axes in their hands, but they were biting the blades into trees, not flesh.

     Jerome noticed him first, waving him over. "Biffle! Come on over."

     He was much more relaxed than when Biffle had first seen him. The light had returned to his eyes and his cheery, mischievous voice had returned. The tip of a flint and steel poked out of his back pocket, a detail Biffle noted for later discussion.

     "Hey Jerome, how's it going?" Biffle asked.

     "Great! We're chopping up some wood for our latest build."

     Henwy heaved a log over his shoulders, carrying it to a copious pile of logs from several different types of trees.

     Biffle let out a low whistle. "That's a lot of logs. Were you out here all night?"

     Henwy nodded, dropping the log onto the stack. It wobbled, but held. "Allllll night."

     Biffle rounded his eyes. "No breaks? That's a lot of work."

     Jerome threw an arm over Biffle's shoulder, grinning. "Aw, when do I take breaks?"

     Biffle raised an eyebrow.

     "Except from houses- and builds- and sometimes people- and- okay whatever but this time I didn't take any breaks. Buuuuut I'm going to take one now because this is hard work."

     Biffle chuckled. "You do that. So, you two were together the entire time?"

     Henwy tipped his head, silent for a moment, his eyes thoughtful. "Yes... but, this is about something else, isn't it?"

     Jerome nodded in agreement. "There's more to this than you just saying hello, isn't there?"

     Under their gazes, he began to crack. "Er- well- there may be a criminal on the loose and I may have been hired to solve the case- but you didn't hear that from me. I'm just doing some rounds to see if anyone's been suspicious." He pulled out his notebook and crossed off Henwy. "Seems like you two have good alibis. See anything suspicious?"

     Both of them shook their heads.

     The werewolf sighed. "Oh, well, there was a chance. What are you building, anyway?"

     Henwy immediately perked up. "A bakery."

     "...A bakery?"

     "A bakery," Jerome affirmed.

     Biffle's eyes flicked from Henwy to Jerome back to Henwy. Less than a week ago, these two couldn't stand each other.

     Jerome chuckled, catching onto the hidden question. "Alxton convinced us."

     "Yeah, there's no reason to fight. And-" Henwy stretched a large, leathery wing, "-I learned my lesson-"

     "So did I," Jerome interrupted, pulling back his collar to reveal nasty scorch marks.

     "-so there's no reason to carry old grudges. We're burying the hatchet."

     Biffle put his hand over his chest. "Camp members? Learning their lessons? What is this, character development?"

     "Crazy, I know," Henwy chuckled. His face fell. "I'm sorry, Biffle. For everything. And this time, I mean it." He stuck his hand out.

     Biffle completely ignored Henwy's attempt at a handshake as he wrapped an arm around his shoulder. "Don't worry about it... kid." He grinned.

     "Oh for the love of- I'm not a kid."

     "Right, and ol' Sigi Bigi doesn't have weak knees."

     Henwy rolled his eyes, but the mirth covering his features betrayed him.

     "Alright," Biffle said, turning towards the rising sun, "I've got to get going. Lots of interrogations to do. If you two find anything, let me know, mkay?"

     Jerome flashed a thumbs up as Henwy inclined his head.

     "Great, thanks. Can't wait to see your bakery. AndIexpectatleastafiftypercentdiscount. Bye!" Biffle waved and took off into the forest, ignoring Jerome's defiant shout.

     He ran for a few paces before breaking down into a coughing fit. The coughs led his mind back to the dragon, which led to Henwy. Every single time he said he'd learned his lesson, he came back with something more sinister. Biffle was hesitant to believe him.

     Jerome would keep an eye on him, but the man was unhinged at best. Still, Biffle would hope for the best and prepare for the worst. He would hope for peace and expect a war. It was what he'd always done and what he'd always do.

     Biffle paused. He was on top of the bridge overlooking the river. The water bubbled below, enjoying the morning rays. Biffle leaned over the edge, peering into the water below, watching fish dart to and fro.

     To do proper interrogations, he needed an interrogation room.

     Letting his gaze drift past the river towards the shaded spot underneath the bridge, Biffle knew just the spot.

     He just hoped the interrogations wouldn't go awry.

AN: "Sometimes, foreshadowing is relatively obvious" -Churromans

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

595K 21.6K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
113K 3.5K 79
Alastor X Female Reader You and Alastor have been best friends since you were 5 years old. With Alastor being the famous serial killer of your time...
704K 11.3K 65
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗰𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘆𝗼�...