NSC 2015 - Preliminary Stage

By Novellavision

These are all the entries for the Novellavision Story Contest 2015 Preliminary Stage. Theme: Summer. When th... More

A Promise of Summer
Bakit Ngayon Pa?
Faith, Hope and Love
Finger Lick
Five Days of Tingle
Got Luck on my Destiny
I Thought
Lucifia Resort
Lust at First Sight
Miliaria Rubra
My Summer with HIM
Liham
Of Love and Betrayal
Once Upon a Summer
Piyesta
Sa Bukid
Scheduler's Summer Days
Selda Katorse
Send My Love Notes to Geoffrey
Smarati (Naaalala Niya)
Summer 6.21
Summer Camp
Summer Fun
Summer Rain
Summer Revelation
A Summer to Remember
Summer Tragedy
Tahanan
The Day I Fell In Love with Mr. Annoying
Villa Majika
Concept and Story Construction Scores

Through the Dark Trees

239 25 19
By Novellavision

Through the Dark Trees

Ni: Syrelle France S. Paterter

"When he was banished from the Heavens, the son of Milathor took the forest as his home. And since then, no mortal has ever dared to step on the Dark Trees for the Dark God has put a curse on it. No mortal who's entered the forest ever returned... they vanished into the darkness..."

I smiled as I hear the children gasp for breath while waiting for Arkius, the Wise Man, to finish his tale. When I was still a child, I have been one of the children who wait for Arkius's tales whenever he's around. It was the myth of the Dark God who's been cast down from the Heavens and ruled the Dark Trees since then. But things changed since then.

It was just a mere myth. No evidence has occurred that there really is a Dark God living, hiding inside the forest. It was like a child story used by parents to frighten their kids so that they won't go near the trees.

"Vanished... forever."Arkiussaid in a hoarse voice. Children screamed. Some embraced their friends; some glanced at the direction of the forest which is only meters away.

+ + +

"Where am I?"

I am now in a pitch dark place where only a minimal amount of light is able to pass. As I continue my pace, half blinded, I heard footsteps nearby. Then in just a snap, light spread all over the place.

I am in a forest. It was daylight. And the summer breeze kissed my cheeks like a freshly bloomed rose. A few steps away from me, is a man, his back to me, standing.

"Go away, mortal. You're not supposed to be here." He said. His tone is harsh but he has the sweetest voice I've ever heard.

"What do you mean? Who are you?" I asked.

"Go. Just go!" and walked away.

+ + +

"Hey!" I woke up. It was nearly dawn and I was drenched in sweat because of that dream.

I stood up and walked to my window where I could see the forest from afar.

"Who is he?"

+ + +

I'm walking right into the heart of the forest wondering why I was here in the first place. My townsmen might think that I've gone mad because of this. Maybe I've really lost my sanity that's why I'm here, in this creepy place, endangering myself just to find the answer.

My thoughts were disturbed when I heard a growl not far from where I'm standing. I took my bow and arrow and positioned for a strike. Whatever it is, I know that it will bring danger to me. I took hold of the arrow and positioned for a strike. The sun's rays pass through the canopy of treesas I steadied myself.

Seconds later, a huge black dog, as big as a matured bear, came out of the bush and its fangs showed as it growled at my direction. Its gigantic paws destroyed the plants as it made its way out of the bushes. The beast is pissed, that's all I know.

I released the arrow but the huge dog jumped and I missed. Terror filled my entire being as it launched itself to me. I stumbled backwards and fell to the root of the tree. And just as when it was about to attack me, a strong wind blew and it stopped, looking at the direction where the wind came. I followed the dog's gaze and I am amazed to see a man, walking his way to us.

He is handsome. No living man can surpass his feature. It is as if he is a god himself. He has long eyelashes which make his pitch black eyes more expressive, square jaws, prominent nose and red thin lips that are quite inviting. For a moment, I imagined myself with him. But when he stood right next to the beast and patted it, horror struck me again.

I managed to stand, holding on to the tree trunk for support. The man looked at me with those black eyes and I know that there's really something scary about him.

"Go now, Procyon. I'll take care of this." He said without taking his eyes off of me. The beast snarled first before taking off to the heart of the forest. "What are you doing here, mortal?" he asked.

There is something familiar in his velvet voice. Then, I remembered. "You were him. You were the man in my dreams."

"Go away. You're not supposed to be here," he said and turned swiftly.

"Wait. Please. Are you the God living in this forest? Are you the one who's been banished from the Heavens?"

"Insolent human!" he exclaimed and turned to face me with those fiery eyes. "Go now before I'll do something you don't like." After that he disappeared as the great wind blew again.

+ + +

Since then, I had dreamt of him every night. I will never forget what he looks like. Sometimes, I wake up late in the evening seeing him standing at the end of my bed. But when I was about to take a closer look, he disappears.

+ + +

Summer has been my least favorite season. It was so hot that our lakes and rivers will sometimes dry causing draught in our village. This is also the time of the year where most of us get sick because of too much heat and dehydration.

I continue walking under the canopy of trees. This forest could've been a source of living for us if there is no banished God living here.

Maybe, if I'll talk to him, he'll lend us a portion of his land. I just hope I could meet him today. Despite the fact that I'm definitely scared of him, I have to do this for my village. We need the forest to sustain our needs most especially during winter.

Another thing, I would love to hear his velvet voice again. Even if it is filled with rage, I still want to listen to him.

My thoughts were cut when I noticed that I'm slowly sinking through the ground. A QUICKSAND!

I fought hard not to be pulled down but I failed. I called for help but no one came. Will this be my end? The quicksand pulls me down and I'm losing air to breathe...

+ + +

I bolted upright.

I'm not dead.

I opened my eyes and listened to the rush of water from a nearby waterfall. Where am I?

I slowly sat up and eyed the scenic view. This is a lovely place, almost like a paradise. I am sitting on an enormous black rock by the riverbed. As I continue gazing at the view, a familiar voice spoke.

"So, you're awake," I turned to see him standing few feet away from me. Procyon, the dog, is sleeping soundly under a tree, just meters away from us. The God made his way to another black rock and sat there.

"You?"

"I wonder why my father loves you mortals so bad. You were idle, worthless and ungrateful. You were nothing but a bunch of indolent fools who destroys what He has given you."

"Not all humans are like that," I answered with conviction. He doesn't have the right to say that.

"Aren't you? If you are not stupid enough then why have you returned and nearly gotten yourself killed in this forest? You were all the same. Weak, greedy and insatiable." He stood up and is about to walk away when I decided to speak again.

"Hey...," He then stops, not facing me. "I don't know the reasons why you are mad with mortals but you don't have a right to judge us. I know we're not born perfect, like deities, but we learn from our mistakes.

We may have done wrong, abused nature and has been ungrateful for the blessing we have had but we repent for whatever we have done. We are able to change because that's what we are... humans. Imperfect humans."

He didn't speak for a moment. "If you regained your strength, just go and don't come back," then he vanished.

+ + +

Procyon walked beside me as I made my way out of the paradise and into the Dark Trees. He is calm right now, not that angry beast I first met. I guess the God told his pet to accompany me just to make sure that I won't bother him anymore.

I sighed and walked slowly passing one root at a time. I've never been in this part of the forest. The top of trees doesn't enable light to pass through them. It is indeed dark here and I've noticed that the trunks of trees are unusually black. I have never seen a tree with such color before.Maybe it's because of lack of sunlight.

I notice Procyon tremble. His furs at the back seemed to stand and he is at his angry face again.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, wondering if he understands me or not. The beast growled; his fangs visible. I moved closer and patted him.

"Hey, easy... boy. What's wrong?" I asked again. But before I was able to get any response from him, a long black root wrapped itself around Procyon and made the beast fly halfway before hitting the ground. I was supposed to go to his side but some other roots coiled to my waists and arms, restraining me.

Looking to my right, I could see that the black trees are now moving slowly off the ground. Their roots, slithering, were coiling around my body and the whimpering Procyon. Now, I understand why it is called the Dark Trees. This is because the black trees were the ones responsible for the lost villagers' fate, not the god who's been banished.

I'm choking and slowly losing air to breathe. I will be dead and I will not escape this one. I will no longer see his face and listen to his velvet voice. I won't be able to know his name.

Just before I lose my consciousness, I heard a sound of a flute playing nearby and felt that the roots slowly released me. It made me fall to the ground. They did the same to Procyon.

+ + +

I woke up, again, in the Paradise. I sat up as I remembered what happened then searched for Procyon. I sighed in relief when I found him sleeping under a tree.

"Now you understand why you are not supposed to be here?" he said. He is sitting on the rock again. I looked at him and noticed a wound on his right arm.

"What happened to you?" I asked and moved closer to him. "You're bleeding."

"I'm fine," he said tonelessly.

"No, you're not. Look at that wound, it needs to be cleaned." I said reaching for his arm but he shook my hands off. His attitude is quite irritating. "Why are you so difficult? Don't be a stubborn, will you?"

"I said I'm fine. Can't you understand that it will heal soon enough?"

"But... how have you gotten that wound? I thought gods are invincible?"

"I'm a demi-god. Now laughed." But I didn't laugh. I just stared at him.

"I can't believe it."

"My mother is a mortal and my father, Milathor, fell in love with her. Now here I am, born a god but was banished from the Heavens because I hate humans. He said that I first need to understand why he created all of you.

But until now, after almost four centuries of banishment, I still can't understand his reasons. Through those years, I was more than convinced that you mortals do not deserve his trust, his love and care. Just like my mother, humans are ungrateful. Goodness, why am I telling you these, you won't even understand," he stood up and walked away. Now I understand his reasons. Now I have the idea why he despises us.

I stayed there for a few more days. He never talks to me since that day nor even glances at my direction. Every night I hear him play his flute. It was always melancholic, filled with sadness and grief.

One night I got tempted of going near to him so that I could hear his music more clearly. He was sitting on a rock in the middle of the river. From my hiding place, I could see his features. He's indeed handsome. I was always mesmerized whenever I see him. I guess that's part of his charm.

As if he noticed my presence, he stopped playing his flute.

"Come out. Hiding won't do you any good," he commanded. Hesitantly, I stepped out of the tree then faced him. "What do you want?"

"Ijust want to listen to your music." He stared at me for a moment then suddenly a strong wind blew. It encircled around me and lifted my body right where he is seated. Without a word, he played his sad music while I stayed there staring at him.

I don't have any idea when he have finished playing or when he'd started talking to me. But there we are, sitting under the moonlight. I listened to his irresistible sweet voice as he speaks.

"When I was born, my mother abandoned me in this forest. My half-sister, Avina, The Goddess of Light, rescued me from the trees and brought me to the Heavens. I was raised there and developed my skills afterwards."

"But why did your father banish you from the Heavens?" I asked wondering if he'll answer it or not.

He smiled and stared at the night sky as if someone or something is out there. "It's because, I despise mortals. I hate being a demi-god. I envy my brothers and sisters because they're all invincible. They do not suffer from wounds that take hours to heal. I hate being a half-blood immortal and not yet have been deified. I hate humans because they do not deserve my father's love. That is the reason why I was cast down and cannot go back until I understand his cause."

"You're not the one responsible for the deaths of the people who enters this forest, aren't you?"

"What do you think?"

"No. It's not like you to hurt others."

"You really have faith in me, haven't you?" he smiled. "The trees had lived here since the world was created. As humans abuse nature, they become more powerful. Livia..."

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

I placed my right hand above his chest. "Open your heart, Damien. Don't let yourself be trapped in your sad past."

+ + +

Damien personally escorted me through the forest. Before we parted, he gave me a cloud-shaped pendant. He said that it is our sign of bond and if I want to see him, I just have to whisper his name on the stone and he'll come.

+ + +

Our town has changed a lot since the last time I've been here. My townsmen said that I have been gone for almost a year but I know that I'd been away only for two weeks.

Another year, another scorching summer but the situation has been worse than the past years. Our crops were destroyed by black pests and a plague had killed one-fourth of the actual population. They said that it came from the forest and that the Dark God has been doing things to make us suffer but I know that he won't do that.

I took the necklace and whispered his name. Eventually, he appeared right in front of me with his sweet smile. I told him about the problem then using his wind, he created a strong wind which cast the pests away.

+ + +

"Tell your townsmen that they need not to hold a feast whenever I'm her. They're just wasting their time."

"They just wanted to thank you," I said and gave him some fruits.

"'Thank you' is enough," I smiled. "What?"

"'Know what? For a God with great powers, you sound more like a mortal."

"I guess, my mother's blood is still running in my veins."

"Damien, are you still going back to the Heavens?"

"There's no need for that. I'm happy now, here, with you." He held my left hand and kissed the back of it.

+ + +

Another plague devastated the village. It affected and killed most of the children and pregnant women. I was then pregnant with our child and before I could evacuate, I also got sick.

+ + +

THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW

Livia is half-dead when Damien came and brought her to the Paradise. She was so weak by then and Damien has no other options but to call for his father, Milathor.

"What is it that bothers you son?"

"I need your help," Milathor didn't speak. Instead he stared at Livia who is now excruciating in pain. "Save her. It is my blood and flesh inside her. Please, father. Please, I'd do anything for her."

"You'll go back to me and fulfill your duties as a god. Can you do that?"

Damien first looked at Livia before he answers. "Alright, I'll do it."

+ + +

"After that, what happened? Did Milathor save their lives?" Damos asked his mother the same questions he'd been asking her since she told him the story.

"Yes, they were saved."

"But how about the god, did he still see his child and his love?"

"Of course, when the wind blew hard, she knows that he's there, guarding them both."

Livia said and looked up in the sky. It was summer again. Damien had been gone for almost seven summers now but as the wind blew, she knows that he is there, still holding her in his arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2M 707K 34
She was kidnapped by the mafia prince, Lander Montenegro, at the age of five. He stole almost half of her life, so it's only fair that he repays her...
3.2M 159K 54
[RFYL book 2] When the enemy is close behind, you need to run as fast as you can. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN Written by: SHINICHILAAAABS Genre: Science F...
1.9M 49K 164
Frankie (Epistolary with narration)
124M 2.6M 56
Si Carmelita Montecarlos ay ang bunsong anak ng pinakamayamang angkan sa San Alfonso. Habang si Juanito Alfonso naman ay ang anak ng pinakamaimpluwen...