The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

Por dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... Más

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Darkest Hour

993 42 34
Por dragonrand100

Chapter 18

Darkest Hour

The rhythmic lapping of oars against water lulled Link into a half-dream. On either bank, the drone of insects mingled with the trill of birdsong, while the gentle breeze carried the scent of damp earth and wildflowers.

Link could almost imagine himself back among the green bowers of his home. His mind wandered through memories of mornings spent hunting with Brynn, training with Forenz, or playing with Saria, a peaceful bliss that seemed a world away.

On the fringes of his awareness, the Spiritual Stones hummed with a strangely comforting ethereal magic, almost imperceptible to the mind. It would have been enough to lull him off to sleep had Link's gnawing hunger not stirred him to wakefulness.

Pushing his cloak aside, stomach grumbling loudly enough to draw an amused smile from Navi, Link yawned and stretched.

"Sleep well?" Navi asked with a hint of mock exasperation. "It's nearly midday!" Link couldn't discern if she was amused or mildly irritated by his talent for napping. "Hungry?"

"A bit," Link admitted, but something else occurred to him as he scanned the trees. "Any sign of Kaepora Gaebora?" It seemed odd that Kaepora hadn't caught up to them by now. He had expected him to remain close to Zora's Domain unless he was busy relaying a message to Impa.

"Not a feather," Navi answered, likewise searching the trees.

"Do you think something's happened to him?" Link asked with a tremor of worry.

"Kaepora can take care of himself," Navi replied. "Let's focus on reaching Castletown, shall we?"

Link accepted this, though it didn't dispel his worries as they continued downstream. The initial thrill of the boat journey was beginning to fade, and Link wished he had brought a fishing rod or anything to stave off the boredom. His stomach rumbled again, so he helped himself to a Zoran biscuit. Although it tasted unpleasantly like brine, he knew better than to be fussy.

"How long until we get to Castletown?" he asked after a brief time, nibbling on another biscuit.

"Probably by nightfall," Navi said.

"That long?" Link groaned, feeling the first tendrils of restlessness coil in his gut.

"Patience, child," one of his Zora companions, Lutara, chuckled. "Merchants sailing to the Zora Isles in the east speak of days at sea, a far grander undertaking than our journey. Humans do not easily grasp the beauty of such an endeavour. The sea is only an obstacle to be conquered."

"Tell me about these Zora Isles," Link said, accepting the distraction. "Is it really just an endless plain of water?"

He recalled Malon and Navi showing him a map of the realms beyond Hyrule, introducing him to the concept of the ocean.

And so Lutara spun a tale of a faraway archipelago teeming with vibrant coral and fish of every colour. She spoke of white-sand beaches and water so clear it mirrored the sky above. Link would have listened for hours if his stomach hadn't continued its persistent rumble.

Ruto's provisions—salted fish and the same gritty black biscuit he'd been gnawing on—did little to sate his appetite. He offered the rest to Lutara and her companion, but they had already brought a small supply of crayfish, which they munched on, shells and all. They offered him some of their smaller crustaceans, which took him some time to eat as he picked apart their shells.

Full and sleepy, Link drifted back into a light doze, lulled by the boat's gentle rocking.

Link wasn't sure how long he slept, but he awoke with a start. The world around him was no longer a picture of calm tranquillity. The trees along the riverbank writhed in the grip of a violent gale, their branches whipping sideways. The once peaceful river now resembled a roiling cauldron, its surface heavy with fury.

What's going on? he wondered, heart hammering in protest at the abrupt awakening. He tightened his cloak around himself like a protective shield, instinct propelling him into a sitting position.

"What's happening?" he gasped.

Lutara's face was grim beneath the darkening sky. "A storm," she said, her voice tight with concern.

Oh.

Braving a winter gale on open water wasn't exactly Link's idea of fun. It was bad enough in a tree house, even one built to withstand a storm.

The wind buffeted the boat with all its fury while the trees along the bank swayed all the more. The river churned, gnashing at the boat with every billowing gust. Link clung desperately to the boat's edge, one slip away from a watery plunge. His recent meal now mocked him, his stomach swaying in a nauseating rhythm.

"I don't feel so good," Link moaned, feeling sicker by the moment. Before long, he leaned over the side, expelling his stomach contents into the churning river.

"Hylians have such weak stomachs," Lutara's companion observed without a hint of sympathy.

"Lorn!" Lutara scolded him, too focused on controlling the boat to say much more.

Link was distracted as his stomach heaved in rebellion once more. He leaned further over the side, afraid of retching once more.

"Careful, Link!" Navi's urgent cry pierced the wind's howl. But it was too late.

Link slipped. A yelp of shock escaped his lips as his arms windmilled wildly, searching for purchase. He plummeted headfirst towards the waves, only to be yanked upwards with a bone-jarring jolt, his body slamming back onto the boat's side as something held him inches above the river's ravenous current.

"Link!" Navi's shrill cry cut through the roaring wind. Link, too stunned to speak, felt himself being pulled back into the boat by Lutara's strong grip.

"Thanks," Link gasped, scrambling back to his seat as Navi hovered beside him, a look of relief etched on her tiny face. "I'm... I'm okay."

A sudden fear gripped him as he checked his satchel. It was still there, still clinging stubbornly to his side, its contents safe despite the near disaster.

"You can thank me again if we get this boat to Castletown's dock in one piece," Lutara said as Link checked his gear. Her next words, however, caught his attention, sending a shiver down his spine. "We may have to pull into shore if this swell gets worse. I've never seen it like this... Not on a river so far from the sea. It's as though some magic is churning the waters."

"Magic?" Link's voice trembled as he considered who or what might be responsible. He looked up at Navi, hoping she might explain, but her brow remained furrowed.

"I can't sense anything," she said, her voice muffled by the howling wind.

A distant crack of thunder echoed through the air, sealing the Zora's decision. They steered the battered vessel towards the shore with renewed urgency.

The bank, a tangle of roots and rocks, loomed ahead, obscuring the danger lurking just beyond the bend. The Zora battled the treacherous current, their efforts desperate but precise. As they rounded the corner a familiar and ominous groan rose above the storm. Link saw it just before it happened – a towering tree, its roots straining under the onslaught, about to succumb to the fierce wind. The Zora cried out, trying desperately to evade the falling giant.

It was too late. With a loud crack, the tree toppled, its limbs lashing out like enraged tentacles. The Zora's quick thinking saved them from being crushed outright, but the boat slammed into the fallen trunk with bone-jarring force, hard enough to splinter its wooden hull.

Link was thrown face-first into the seat ahead, icy water flooding the sinking craft. He found himself knee-deep in the freezing torrent, Navi hovering above him, her voice shrill with panic. "Quick, get out!"

Both Zora were gone, swept overboard by the impact. Link could feel the boat's wooden hull disintegrating, a sickening crack announcing its imminent demise. He didn't wait for rescue. With a surge of adrenaline, he leapt onto one of the tree's twisted branches, intending to latch on and crawl his way to safety.

Disoriented from the boat's turmoil, his footing failed him. He slipped, his body scraping against the rough bark before plunging into the icy depths. The cold wrapped around him like a shroud, stealing his breath as the water's churning surface fell away. It took Link a moment to realise what was happening- he was sinking.

Panic clawed at him, constricting his chest like a vice. He kicked desperately, each stroke taking him further from the tantalising glint of the water's surface. His clothes, waterlogged and heavy, dragged him down like anchors.

The thought of drowning filled him with a chilling despair. He stopped struggling, his fingers fumbling at the clasp of his brooch in a desperate attempt to shed his burdens. But the metal was cold and unforgiving, his fingers numb and clumsy.

His lungs burned, screaming for air. The light above now seemed mockingly distant as he sank further and further into the river's depths.

He barely registered the cold hand that grabbed him, pulling him upward through the water. He broke the surface, gasping for a breath that would not come. Beside him, a sleek white Zora swam, face etched with concern.

Then Link was out of the river and crashing into something solid, but he could not breathe. The world dissolved into darkness as he lay against the ground, unaware of the anxious movement of those around him.

A sharp smack on his back jolted him awake. He coughed, expelling what seemed like half of Zora's river from his lungs.

Gasping for breath, which was punctuated by yet more coughing, Link gulped down the precious air.

"Swimming like a Goron," someone growled from nearby. "What possessed you to jump out with all that gear?"

"Let him be, Lorn. Give the poor lad time to catch his breath," Lutara soothed, standing beside Link and offering him a helping hand.

Welcoming the offered support, Link struggled to his knees.

"Link?" Navi buzzed like a frantic hummingbird beside him. "You scared me half to death. Just breathe. You'll be okay."

Was that reassurance for him or herself?

Link wasn't sure. Trying to rise, his legs felt like leaden weights, and he nearly toppled. Lutara's grip kept him from collapsing.

"Easy now. Perhaps we should let you rest for a bit," she advised. "You've had quite a shock."

Too numb to protest, Link allowed himself to be lowered to the ground, shivering despite the rain-soaked earth.

"Can you get a fire going?" Navi chirped frantically.

"In a moment, little sprite," Lutara calmed her, kneeling to help Link peel off his wet cloak.

"Link?" Navi hovered next to him, worry etching her tiny face.

"I'm alright," he croaked, barely audible.

He knew she didn't believe him, and he wasn't sure he believed himself either; his body was still shaking violently, and his head was spinning.

"I'll see if I can find some herbs," Navi continued, still frantic, "Just-"

A loud hoot cut her short, making them jerk their heads up. An owl landed on the end of the fallen trunk now embedded in the bank.

"Kaepora!" Navi exclaimed, relief in her voice. "Where have you been?"

"My apologies for the delay," he said before tilting his head. "What in Hyrule happened to-"

"A talking owl?" Lutara exclaimed, springing to her feet.

"Indeed," Kaepora replied with a touch of weariness. "Surely your king mentioned me? Even owls get tired of repeating themselves. Yes, I am a talking owl." He turned his gaze to Link. "What in Farore's name happened to you?"

"Fell in the river," Link managed through chattering teeth.

"A tree nearly squashed our boat," Navi explained, frustration tinging her voice. "Where were you?"

"I am sorry it took so long to find you. A Bulblin lurking on the riverbank got lucky with an arrow," Kaepora explained. "A graze, thankfully. They were attacked by a pack of wolves just as they came for me. I sought refuge in the Great Deku Tree's grove, and Saria saw to my injuries. Fortunately, you have the Kokiri Emerald; otherwise, I would still be looking for you."

"Are you alright?" Navi asked, now concerned.

"I shall be," Kaepora replied.

"Why are there so many bulblins?" Link asked through still chattering teeth. Lorn had managed to start a fire, but its warmth hadn't reached him yet.

"It matters not now, and the woods are still protected," Kaepora said. "Rest and dry off."

Link wasn't about to argue. Lutara helped him peel off his sodden tunic, leaving him in his damp leggings. More wood crackled in the fire, its warmth slowly seeping into his bones. The chills lessened, replaced by a bone-deep ache. His breathing steadied, though the occasional cough still gripped him. He huddled close to the fire, Navi and Kaepora keeping vigilant watch. The feeling of utter weakness seemed to take forever to recede, but thankfully, the worst passed.

The Zora cooked fish over the crackling flames of their fire as night fell, offering some to Link. The storm continued to rumble around them, fat raindrops threatening to drench him again. The wind remained unforgiving, and Link worried about Kaepora flying.

"The wind will be troublesome but not as vicious in the forest as in the open," Kaepora assured him. "At worst, I will take you close to Kakariko, and you should be able to reach the inn from there."

Link didn't mind that idea. He could stay at the Dancing Goron and head to Castletown tomorrow. The Zora, meanwhile, decided they would wait out the storm before returning to their domain.

Once strong enough to travel, Link gathered his meagre belongings, slipped back into his dried tunic, and bid farewell to the Zora. Then, he climbed onto Kaepora's back, Navi settling uncomfortably in his tunic pocket, and they set off.

~ 0 ~

It was not a pleasant journey. The woods whipped past – a cold, damp maze of tangled boughs and whispering leaves that snatched at owl and boy. The wind buffeted Kaepora, and the bolts of lightning that split the sky made Link think he had traded the perils of the forest for the terror of the air. The unseasonable storm seemed determined to send them hurtling to a painful end, announcing its fury with every thunderous roar.

Relief washed over Link as the woods gave way to open fields and scattered copses. The scattered homesteads of Kakariko twinkled like fallen stars, each holding the promise of warmth and a steaming hot meal. But then, something upon the northern horizon drew Link's gaze, a searing red glow that was ominously reflected in the clouds above, coming from the direction of Castletown.

Kaepora ascended for a better view, and Link's heart froze, gripped in growing horror as he realised what he was seeing. Fire consumed the distant city. The castle stood at the heart of the raging pyre, smoke rising in steady plumes.

"Hold fast," the owl's voice came sharp and desperate. "I must get closer so we can understand this madness. If Ganondorf has played his treacherous hand, we must hasten to the Temple of Time."

As they drew closer to the burning city, the stone wall rising tall into the ashen sky, a prickle of déjà vu danced upon Link's mind. This scene was etched into his memory like stained parchment. He remembered.

Ganondorf laughed. Eldritch lightning danced from his fingertips, striking down his fairy. This was where Navi—

A sickening thud shuddered through Kaepora, a monstrous shriek rending the night. The owl lurched, wings unfurling in a desperate bid for balance. Link clung on for dear life as Kaepora plummeted towards the city wall.

"What in Farore's name!?" Navi cried, her voice shrill with panic. "Kaepora, what's happening?"

Link knew but could not answer, his hands numb as he held on for dear life. An arrow shaft protruded from the owl's side, blood spilling like crimson tears. Kaepora clawed back control with tremendous effort, wings beating frantically against the unforgiving wind. They skimmed the wall, inches from a messy crash, before veering away, barely escaping the icy embrace of the river to land mere feet from the steep bank.

Navi darted from Link's pocket as Kaepora crashed into the earth with enough force to shatter the bones of a lesser creature. Link tumbled, thrown from his feathered perch, stars exploding across his vision as he hit the earth. His bag's contents scattered across the mud as the straps came loose. He rolled, his breath stolen, coming to rest against the Zora River's steep, unforgiving bank.

Aching from a dozen bruises and scratches, Link climbed to his feet. His head spun, but he tried to ignore it as he focused on Kaepora. The owl was struggling to its feet, briefly turning in Link's direction before turning to inspect his injury. Distantly, Link could hear an awful chorus of screams and panicked shouts that mingled with the clash of steel upon steel and hideous bestial cries, a cacophony of otherworldly terrors.

What's happening?

His worst nightmares were coming to life around him, a chorus of screams and clashing steel echoing beneath a burning sky. Panic choked Link, but Kaepora's agonised screech sliced through the chaos, jolting him back to reality.

The owl, in a desperate struggle, had ripped at the arrow embedded in his side, trying to pull it free, only to tear the wound further.

"Kaepora, what..." Link sputtered, voice ragged with concern. He scanned the ground for the potions in his bag, but they had been shattered in the fall. Heart sinking, he stumbled over to the owl.

"A stalfos archer on the wall," Kaepora rasped. "One of the guards managed to slay it just as it shot me."

Link stared in disbelief. He had heard whispers of the skeletal nightmares that haunted the woods, but mere campfire tales and stories to frighten small children couldn't have prepared him for this grim reality.

"Stalfos, here?" Navi asked, sounding equally shocked. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know," Kaepora wheezed. "But the arrow needs to come out."

Hesitantly, Link grasped the shaft, averting his gaze from the injured owl. With a deep breath, he pulled. Kaepora's shriek ripped through the darkness as the arrow tore free. The bloodstained shaft emerged, and Link dropped it. Blood welled from the wound, painting the owl's plumage a chilling red. Link knew it was bad even without Navi's worried buzzing.

"Are you sure you can still fly?" Link asked, his voice cracked with fear.

"Not far," Kaepora gasped, the bravado in his voice faltering. "But far enough. Twice in one day, damned the odds. I will fly to the Temple of Time." Link's brow furrowed as Kaepora continued, "If Ganondorf has unleashed this madness, I must help protect it. And if I find Impa, I will send her there with the Ocarina of Time. I wish I could carry you, but this wound..."

"You'll never make it... not like that!" Link choked back a sob, despair threatening to engulf him. He didn't know what to do. This wasn't meant to be happening!

"I will make it, and so will you," Kaepora insisted, his voice lacking confidence. "Meet me at the temple. I will send word to Impa and Zelda to join us there."

"We don't even know if they're..." Navi's voice wavered.

"They are alive," Kaepora declared, though the word came out as a weak whisper.

"They are?" Link's eyes widened. "How do you know?" "Just trust me," Kaepora urged, his voice raspy with a sudden urgency. "There is still time to mend this broken night. I will send aid if I can. Stay small, follow me, and avoid the shadows. Ganondorf's eyes must not fall upon you. Do you understand?"

Link swallowed, nodding slowly, even though he was lost in a fog of confusion. Kaepora unfurled his wings without another word, launching skyward with a powerful beat. He banked sharply, disappearing into the darkness beyond the wall, leaving Link alone with the echoes of his words.

A sharp and insistent nudge from Navi broke Link from his stupor. He grabbed his scattered belongings and shoved them back inside his bag. A distant whistle pierced the air, making him pause—though unable to discern its source, suspicion gnawed at him. He finished gathering his things, Saria's ocarina catching his eye momentarily before disappearing into his pocket.

Then, a sudden clang of metal on metal – the drawbridge opening – caught his attention. An inexplicable pull drew Link towards it like a moth to a flame. The stone bridge stretched across the river, ending where it met the lowered drawbridge.

"Link, wait!" Navi screamed. "Kaepora said to stay hidden!"

But her words were lost on him. A loud neigh shattered the night as Link reached the bridge's edge, freezing him in his tracks. Kaepora's warning echoed in his mind, but it was too late.

Lightning cleaved the sky, revealing a white mare charging towards him, bearing a girl and a woman in its saddle. Even without seeing their faces, Link knew. He knew who they were.

"Get out of the way, boy!" Impa's voice cut through the air, sharp as a blade. "Move!"

The horse thundered across the bridge, hooves pounding on wood and stone. With a desperate lunge, Link flung himself aside, nearly tumbling over the edge of the bridge. He spun back, heart hammering, as the horse surged past.

Zelda called out to Impa, her voice hoarse and urgent. The Sheikah nodded in grim understanding as Zelda hollered, "Link! He's coming! Hide! Get to the Temple of Time, play the song on the altar!"

Something flew through the air as the horse galloped away. It struck the ground, briefly skittered across the stones, and landed at Link's feet. Lightning flashed again, illuminating a small, oblong instrument. He snatched it up, recognising the Ocarina of Time.

Play the song? His brow furrowed, questions forming on his lips. But they were choked off by the receding figures of Zelda and Impa as they disappeared into the night. He stood there for what felt like an eternity, like a statue sculpted from confusion. Did they know about Kaepora?

Trepidation gnawed at him, the sounds of battle echoing through the night – a terrifying herald announcing Hyrule's doom. A shout from Navi jolted him back to reality. "I sense him. Zelda's right, we're not ready. Hide, quickly!"

Him.

Link didn't need to ask who she meant.

Link shoved the Ocarina into his satchel, fear propelling him back towards the field in the hopes of finding shelter.

He made it, but any hope of using the riverbank to hide was quickly ground tremored with the thundering approach of hooves, and he spun around just as Ganondorf emerged from the darkness, his black-clad figure a stark silhouette against the blood-red sky. His mount, exhausted and frothing, snorted in defiance.

"Damn those guards," Ganondorf snarled, voice dripping with malice. His sword, etched with the blood of his victims, glinted in the distant firelight. His eyes, burning with rage, scanned the hills until they locked onto the telltale azure glow of Navi.

Then, they shifted, finding Link.

Baleful yellow met defiant steel blue.

Link knew he was utterly alone. Nothing stood between him and Ganondorf now. He took an involuntary step back, the silence thick with tension.

"You, boy!" Ganondorf's voice was as thunderous as the raging storm. "I saw the girl toss something your way. I dare say I know what it is. Give it to me!"

He extended a hand, his gaze unwavering, demanding obedience.

Link's tongue felt like sand. "I... I have no idea what you're talking about," he stammered, clinging to the desperate hope that feigned ignorance might be his shield.

"Don't play me, kid," Ganondorf's voice chilled with a dangerous edge. His gaze flickered, momentarily snagging on the faint glow of Navi, before returning to Link with renewed intensity. "I know you're one of Impa's spies. Surrender the ocarina, or your precious fairy dies."

Hot anger surged through Link as he recognised that threat. For a brief instant, it was enough to push aside his terror. He drew his sword and shield, a warrior's defiance rising in his heart. "No. I won't let you touch her!"

A cruel smirk contorted Ganondorf's face. "Are you trying to entertain me with your challenge, boy?" He laughed, a harsh, hair raising sound. "You have spirit, kid, I'll give you that."

Then, from the direction of Death Mountain, a thunderous roar echoed across the land, challenging even the might of the storm. Ganondorf's gaze shifted with a flicker of surprise before snapping to Link, his expression hardening with dark purpose.

"Do you even know who I am, boy?" he asked, his voice dropping to a dangerous growl. "Or have you swallowed all the lies those Sheikah spoon-fed you?"

A heavy silence hung between them.

"No answer?" A malicious glint ignited in Ganondorf's eyes. "Allow me to enlighten you, child, and then you can do me the courtesy of kneeling."

His hand rose, and a gem on his gauntlet pulsed with an unearthly glow. A ball of white light burst into existence in the man's palm, crackling with malevolent energy as it arced towards Link.

There was movement out of the corner of Link's vision, a blur of azure light that moved with impossible speed. Navi. She dove in front of the searing bolt, and Link knew with terrible certainty that the spell would be her doom.

Link shoved her aside with a desperate lunge, sending her spiralling through the air.

Now, only a battered shield stood between him and Ganondorf's wrath.

The wood splintered with a deafening crack, and the spell slammed straight into him in an inferno of pain. Every fibre of his being screamed, as he was sent flying backward.

Then, as quickly as it came, the agony receded, leaving behind a dull ache and a sluggish body. He didn't remember hitting the damp earth, but there he was, face pressed against the ground just beyond the end of the bridge.

Link coughed and sucked in a breath. It was like breathing in hot ash, and he coughed again. Rolling onto his back, he blinked, unable to shake off the lights that swayed across his vision like erratic fireflies.

As his vision slowly cleared, Link saw Ganondorf dismount and step towards him. Each squelching thump of the man's boots upon the wet earth sent tremors through Link's battered body.

Too weak to move, he could only watch as Ganondorf loomed over him, blade raised. Link's breath caught in his throat.

But the fatal blow never came.

Instead, Ganondorf sheathed his weapon. Link knew a moment of confusion before a heavy boot, cold and unforgiving, pressed onto his chest, snatching the breath from his lungs. Pain rippled through his ribs, a strangled moan escaping his lips.

Ganondorf shifted his weight, allowing Link a shallow gasp. His gaze held Link captive, weighing him down and considering him.

"That was a mere taste of what I can do," Ganondorf's voice rumbled. "Cooperate now, or shall we explore further?"

As Ganondorf's gloved hand rose, the gauntlet's gem pulsing with dark energy, fear choked Link like an icy fist.

"Let me go," he wheezed in a pitifully choked sob. "Let me go."

To his immense shame, Link felt his bladder loosen, further drenching his breeches. Ganondorf didn't seem to notice; if he did, he didn't care.

"Shall we?" The question dripped with malice as Ganondorf inched his hand closer, close enough that Link could feel the spell's heat. If released, Link knew the pain would far surpass the last blast.

Shivering, he squeezed his eyes shut, fighting back tears. He shook his head.

Ganondorf's foot lifted, his gaze hardening as the spell winked out. "Good. You'll be more useful to me alive if what I suspect is true."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Link gasped, voice ragged. "No?" Ganondorf regarded him with a cruel smile, the gem crackling with energy once more as the man prepared yet another spell. "You have two choices, boy. Help me, or I'll make you help me."

The man's eyes snagged on something beside Link: Saria's ocarina. It must have fallen from his pocket!

Panic surged through Link as Ganondorf retrieved it, turning it over, a frown creasing his brow. Before he could decipher its significance, a deafening roar tore through the night, closer this time. It shook the very earth, and as it did, Link felt a familiar presence brush against his mind – Volvagia!

"Treachery and treason! What is this that I see?" the dragon's voice boomed, echoing through the mind of boy and Gerudo. "Hear me, Gerudo king... if I find you have harmed but a hair upon his head, I will rip the meat from your bones! For eons, my ancestor Fyrus, first amongst the Sages, watched over Din's land. You dare to desecrate it with your foul magic. Your kin will curse you and see you as the monster that you are." Link could not have said how he did it, but he 'felt' the dragon's awareness turn to him. "I come, friend of Darunia. Are you hurt?"

One thought found its way through Link's terror and pain: "Help me!"

"I see you both. Move if you can, and I'll deal with him. If not... we improvise." Then Link saw Volvagia's black wings emerge from the shadows, tongues of fire snapping from his maw. Ganondorf merely scoffed, unfazed by the display.

"Run, little one!" Volvagia's voice echoed in Link's mind.

Seizing the distraction, Link scrambled up, grabbing his sword.

Dazed but in one piece, Navi dashed after him. Before Ganondorf could react, Volvagia unleashed a searing torrent of fire. Heat radiated outwards, engulfing Link in a wave of scorching air.

Let it kill him, Link thought desperately, a frantic glance back showing flames licking at the spot where Ganondorf stood. Let it end.

The flames dissipated, revealing Ganondorf unharmed, a smirk twisting his lips. The dragon roared in fury, turning his attention to the fleeing horse. With another fiery blast, he ended the animal's life, extinguishing the sneer on Ganondorf's face.

"That was my horse, dragon!" Ganondorf snarled, raising his hand. The gem pulsed, and a ball of lightning arced through the air.

"Run, Link! To the temple!" Volvagia's voice shrieked in Link's mind. "Run and don't look back, no matter what happens!"

Link obeyed, sprinting towards the drawbridge with Navi buzzing close behind. A roar of agony punctuated the air as Ganondorf's next attack struck Volvagia. A crash followed, shaking the earth. Unable to resist a growing urge to look back, despite Volvagia's command, Link turned to see what was happening.

As Volvagia struggled to his feet, his movements sluggish, Ganondorf reached into the pocket of his robe, pulling out a mask that was all too familiar.

~ 0 ~

Pain.

As Volvagia lay crumpled on the ground, fury coursed through him, giving him the strength to fight through the searing pain that rippled through his massive form.

I won't be beaten like this!

Volvagia snarled, preparing to lurch forward and snatch the Gerudo in his jaws. Only then did he see the mask the man was putting on—a skull mask with a gem-encrusted jewel upon its forehead.

That mask... I know that mask!

Generations of memories, passed down by the dragons before him, told Volvagia what the mask was. His ancestors had fought the creature sealed within the mask. Once it grew stronger, feeding upon the souls of those slain by its host, it would be unshackled from its ancient prison. Unbound, it would gain strength till its wearer became little more than a puppet. Perhaps it would keep this host alive. It had already protected Ganondorf from his fire, but it would only keep him alive so it could claim the Triforce.

In the next instant, Volvagia could feel the creature touch his mind. There was nothing gentle about this melding. He could feel the creature's hatred, a torrent of fire erupting inside his skull that blinded him with pain. Next, he heard the demon's voice.

"Your kind has always been arrogant and overconfident fools! You are mine, dragon, you and all your kind."

"A dragon serves no one! I will not bow to you, Ganon!"

"But you serve someone, do you not? What else are the Gorons to you if they are not your masters?"

"They don't control me!"

"Don't they? They keep you on that mountain like a caged animal, and you claim you don't serve them?"

Fighting to block out the presence invading his mind, Volvagia roared, screaming and thrashing in agony. The pain in his head only got worse.

"I won't let you control me."

The demon's cold laughter echoed through Volvagia's mind.

"I already do."

~ 0 ~

The battle between Volvagia and Ganondorf seemed to end faster than it had begun. Link watched in horror as the dragon writhed on the ground, twisting and thrashing like a recently beheaded serpent, his body chained by dark sorcery. A shriek of agony tore from the dragon's maw as he thrashed, its claws gouging the earth as it tried to rise.

"Ganondorf's winning," Navi rasped, looking as horrified as Link felt. "We have to get out of here, now!"

Heeding her words, Link ran towards the town, but he didn't get far before a defiant and thundering roar rose above the chaos. Just a few feet from the gatehouse, Link turned to see Volvagia struggling to his feet, and Link felt a sudden surge of magic rippling through the air. Hope flickered inside of him, kindled by the sight of the rising dragon. Maybe they could win! Volvagia could beat him!

Then, the dragon turned and swooped into the air, heading not for Ganondorf, who stood on the road, but for the bridge. Link's hope wavered as Volvagia landed a few feet from the drawbridge.

What is he doing?

Volvagia turned his eyes towards the gatehouse, and with a sudden terrifying certainty, Link knew what was about to happen. He ran beyond the arch, looking back and coming to a stop just in time to see a torrent of flames slam into the ancient timbers of the drawbridge. Volvagia lurched forward, and with a tormented splintering crack, the bridge buckled under the dragon's weight, leaving the once mighty guardian of Death Mountain to plunge into the water below in an eruption of smoke and steam.

"Volvagia's giving us time!" Navi cried. "Run, Link!"

Debris crashed around them as the gatehouse buckled. Stones were torn away, the chains ripped free of their housing by the collapsing bridge.

Heeding Navi's words, Link ran, plunging into a scene unlike anything his worst nightmares could conjure. Flames devoured the buildings along the once-vibrant streets. The air reeked of death, while acrid smoke stung Link's eyes and burnt his lungs. The dead and dying were everywhere.

Mothers clutched their children, faces contorted in a silent scream of defiance. Empty eyes stared up at the fire-lit sky, a chilling testament to the terror that had swept through the town. Link ran, deaf to the pleas for help, choking back the scream in his throat. Fear threatened to consume him as surely as the flames that rose high into the night, and it took all his strength not to stumble.

It's all gone. All of it.

A bell tolled, its mournful echo fading into the roar of the flames. Another silence. And another. Until only the crackling fire remained.

Still, he ran.

Which way? Did it even matter? He stumbled through the smoke, Navi's frantic words barely registering over the pounding in his ears as he turned a corner, only to find Bulblins ahead. He could hear more of them, their guttural laughter mocking their victims. Young. Old. It didn't seem to matter.

And on he ran.

Something else appeared around a corner, scaled skin catching the firelight, reptilian eyes gleaming with malice. Navi directed him to hide in an alley untouched by flames until they were gone.

"Lizalfos," she told him, but worse was yet to come.

The shambling forms of undead made their way down the lane he'd just entered, their moans a grotesque chorus that rose and fell amidst the din of battle, but they hadn't seen him. Not yet.

Link ran, glimpsing a flash of metal, a splash of crimson against a crumbling wall as a Lizalfos found its victim.

He didn't stop, couldn't stop.

Screams again. Closer. His feet turned, muscles tense, and some instinct compelled him to charge towards the sound. With a desperate cry, Navi darted in front of him before he could move.

"Link, we have to move!" Her plea halted him, even as the terrifying sounds of combat drew near. "Please, Link... We need to go."

Seeing the form of more horrors darting out from behind a nearby building, Link knew she was right.

He kept running.

They arrived in the marketplace, and Link's eyes could not quite comprehend the magnitude of what he saw. Hyrulean soldiers, their once-bright uniforms now dark with blood, lay sprawled amidst shattered weapons and the mangled bodies of their mounts. A banner bearing the Triforce, torn and trampled, was a bitter reminder of the kingdom's fall.

Sprinting to the square's far side, Link cast a frantic glance over his shoulder to confirm they were, for the moment, alone. Then, a snag. His boot caught on something, sending him sprawling onto the unforgiving cobblestones. A strangled cry tore from his throat as he scrambled back, but his gaze locked onto the cause of his fall. A child. No older than him, eyes staring sightlessly up at the burning sky. Her once-white nightgown was smeared in crimson, the same blood that clung to Link's trembling hands. He recoiled, gagging, scrubbing at the stones with a desperation born of madness. His breath hitched, sobs threatening to break free, and the world around him blurred, a smear of fire, blood, and ash.

"Link, please! We have to..." Navi's voice was thick with desperation, but it barely penetrated the haze of horror that clung to him.

He scrambled back, sobs tearing from his throat, words choking him. "I can't... I can't..." His fingers collided with something yielding, sickeningly soft. A scream, raw and ragged, ripped from his throat. A hand. Severed. Slick with gore.

He scrambled until his back hit the fountain, the cold stone a jarring shock against his trembling soul. "I'm sorry," he whimpered, the girl's face flashing before his eyes. "I'm so sorry..."

"Link... please..." Navi's voice was a ragged plea. "Don't... don't do this..."

"It's over, Navi!" His words were a choked sob. "Can't you see? We've lost!"

He huddled against the fountain, rocking, whispering apologies that none but Navi could hear.

"No!" Navi's cry was sharp, desperate. "You can still fix this! You can still save them!"

"Save who?" Link spat the words, his voice rising as he looked up. "There's no one left! Nothing left!"

Hands stained with blood tore through his hair. The reek of his own fear and his fouled breeches were a poison, choking him. "We failed, Navi. I'm no hero..."

"That's not true!" Navi darted to his shoulder, her voice a mix of fierce desperation and fragile hope. "It's not hopeless... not yet! The ocarina can undo this, I'm sure of it."

Link looked up, a flicker of something, not quite hope, sparking in his eyes. Was there any hope? He wasn't sure.

"We owe it to them," Navi continued, her voice trembling. "Saria, the Deku Tree, Darunia..." With a shaking hand, she brushed a tear from his cheek. "Don't you want to make them proud?"

Her words, so simple yet so profound, sliced through the murky haze. Saria's gentle smile. The Deku Tree's faith in a young boy. Darunia's rough, brotherly affection. Memories flickered in his mind... moments of light and joy.

Link swallowed, then nodded, the motion stiff and uncertain.

A glimmer of relief, tinged with fear, shone in Navi's eyes. "Please?" she whispered.

Link pulled himself up, his legs shaking, his breath a ragged sob in his throat. "You're right, Navi..." His voice was rough. "We can't... can't give up..."

He surveyed the carnage – the bodies, the flames, the shattered remnants of a once-vibrant city – and willed his face to remain blank. A scream built in his chest, but he choked it down. Feelings were a weakness he could no longer afford.

A single, flickering ember burned inside him. With grim determination, Link forced his way through the streets, the stench of death his constant companion. Finally, the plaza loomed ahead, and the majestic Temple of Time rose above all else. The temple, untouched by the inferno, its manicured gardens at odds with the dying city, stood as a silent witness to the unfolding tragedy.

"Kaepora's not here," Navi murmured as she checked the coast was clear before they crossed the plaza.

The words barely registered, and Link could feel Navi's eyes on him as he pressed on.

Each step up the temple stairs felt like a battle, Link's legs screaming for a respite he could not afford. He forced one foot in front of the other, gasping for breath. The gilded doors loomed before him, and as he pushed one open, a shiver raced down his spine, a wave of disorienting nausea washing over him. This place... he'd been here before, or had he dreamed it?

The temple's interior was a tomb-like hush after the screams and the roar of the flames outside. Soaring walls rose into near-darkness, the intricate reliefs blurred and distorted by the flickering firelight bleeding through the windows. Shadows concealed the corners of the vast hall, but Link's gaze was drawn inexorably to the centre. The dais. The altar. And beyond it, etched into the wall, a massive stone door, its intricate carvings hinting at its power – the Door of Time.

Link moved like an automaton, his feet finding their path towards the altar. More bodies lay sprawled across the floor in pools of sticky red. Link's mind took in the colours of their robes. Gold. Black. But the horror didn't register. He reached the altar, vaguely noticing the odd circles and lines below the inscription.

Music?

Saria's ocarina melodies flashed through his mind.

"We have to put the stones on the altar, then play the Song... " Navi's voice faltered as he noticed Link's eyes glazing over as he traced a finger across one of the clefts. "Link? Can you read it? Link!"

Link tried to respond, but his throat struggled to work as he shook his head.

"I can sing it," Navi insisted. "Just place the stones..." She darted towards the altar, pointing to the indentations glowing with faint blue light. "See?"

Hands trembling as he retrieved each stone, Link placed them in each of the three alcoves upon the altar. Finally, they were in place, their renewed energy a soft hum in his ears.

"Now what?" Link asked, his voice cracked and barely audible as he forced the words out.

"The Song of Time!" Navi darted towards the plaque, hovering anxiously over the music notes. Link slowly lifted the Ocarina of Time, pausing as he regarded the polished instrument.

"Can we go back... to before?" he asked, a whispered plea for a miracle. "Now?"

Navi grasped his meaning. Link knew the ocarina could manipulate time, but he saw the despair on Navi's face, which swept away that small flicker of hope.

"I don't how..." Navi's voice cracked. "Zelda... Impa... they might have known... Impa more likely."

Link's hands clenched around the ocarina, a tremor running through his body. Kaepora. The owl's wise, gentle eyes flashed in his mind, then the memory of a barbed shaft and bloodied feathers. A choked sob escaped his lips, and he stumbled back a step, the ocarina almost slipping from his fingers.

"Link..." Navi's voice was gentle. "Come on, we can do this."

With a shaky breath, Link lifted the ocarina. Navi hummed the melody, her voice soft as a summer breeze but filled with determination. With trembling fingers, he played. Each faltering note was a knife's twist in his gut.

Sweat beaded on his forehead, each breath a struggle. His heart pounded as he tried again... and again. With the next attempt, a flicker of despair ignited within him. Then the tune smoothly reached its end. A faint blue glow painted the ocarina's surface, and the Spiritual Stones hummed in response. Something within was listening. They were not alone, the unseen spirits within the stones stirring from their long slumber.

The air trembled with a low rumble.

"It worked!" Navi exclaimed with clear relief. "Look!"

Above the door, the Triforce blazed with light. The air crackled with unseen energy, making Link's hair stand on end. The hum grew louder, an oppressive vibration that rattled his teeth. Then, with a groan that made the temple walls tremble, the mural split apart, the crack opening to reveal a tremendous arch and the chamber beyond. A wave of nausea washed over Link. This was it. This was their last chance to bring an end to this horrible night.

Each step towards the dais and the sword at its centre was a battle against his own instinct for self-preservation. This was a power far beyond anything he understood, and he knew there was a reason sorcery was regarded with such suspicion. It was dangerous. He was a child unwittingly reaching towards a boiling cauldron, unaware of the danger.

He reached the glowing pedestal, his shaking hand hovering mere inches above the gleaming hilt. The sword wasn't merely beautiful. It was unsettling. Intricate carvings snaked its length, symbols he didn't recognise whispering of power.

Final seal?

Link shivered. Something about this felt wrong. He was in a game far beyond his understanding, grander than anything his untrained mind could comprehend, and he knew it.

"What will happen?" he asked, hating the uncertainty in his voice.

"I don't..." Navi trailed off, her voice faltering as surely as Link's resolve. "I don't know."

Link's stomach churned, and an icy sweat slicked his shaking hands. The air grew thick, pressing down on him.

He was a coward. A failure. The stench of his own fear filled his nostrils. And yet there was nowhere else to go, no other hope left. With a shuddering breath, Link reached out, but even as he touched the sword's pommel, his breath caught, his fingers barely touching its cool surface.

"I-"

Never be too eager to grasp the pot that boils. Was that what he was doing?

"Count to three?" Navi squeaked, her voice thin with a sudden terror.

There was no choice. He was a piece in a game- a game with rules and pieces he didn't understand.

"Just do it," Link gritted out.

One.

His fingers tightened around the hilt, cold metal burning against his clammy skin.

Two.

He steeled himself for a surge of power, a blinding flash, pain... anything... maybe the sword would kill him, and that would be the end of his misery.

Three...

Link pulled. The sword slid free with a whisper of stone against steel so effortlessly it sent him staggering back a step. His heart pounded against his ribs before confusion rushed in. Where was the surge of magic? The divine wrath? His breath caught in his throat as he stared at the blade. Still nothing. Just a sword.

Had something gone wrong?

"Did I...? Did I do it wrong?" Link asked, unable to comprehend what had happened. This weapon of legend was nothing more than an ordinary sword. Where was the surge of power, the divine light? Just a sword, and... wait...

Was the gem always that bright?

The amber gem was pulsing a bright yellow. Before Link could wonder at this, the air crackled, and suddenly, flames roared to life, encircling the dais in a ring of azure fire. He recoiled with a wordless scream, the Master Sword clattering to the stone.

"Navi?" His voice was shrill, a terrified child's cry. Why wasn't she answering?

Her tiny form was a frozen blur against the firelight. She wasn't darting about as usual and offering advice or even frantic warnings. Instead, she hovered silently, her eyes locked on something beyond the archway.

Following Navi's gaze, Link froze, unable to breathe as he beheld a nightmare given form. Ganondorf.

"The Hero of Time?" Ganondorf's voice was a mocking purr as he stepped forward, passing unharmed through the rising flames. "Impa's errand boy playing with forces beyond his understanding? Don't look so shocked boy, I figured out who you were, and it was clear the instrument you dropped was wrong, so I did you a favour and burnt it."

A tremor ran through Link's body as those words hit home. Saria's instrument was nothing but ashes. Ganondorf knew their plan. His knees nearly m buckled, and only sheer willpower kept him from collapsing. He tried to reach for the sword, drawing an amused snicker from the Gerudo king. Even as Link grasped the sword's hilt, trying to lift it, the blade felt cold and foreign. Useless in his small hands.

Ganondorf wasn't offering him kindness by letting him pick up his blade. It was a mockery. This was not a fight Link could win and they both knew it.

Ganondorf savoured the moment with a predator's grin.

"You've served your purpose, little hero," the Gerudo King continued, his voice laced with a cruel joy. "Soon, all will kneel before my power. And you... your pathetic struggle will be the sweetest part of my triumph." He tilted his head, a mock gesture of sympathy, "A forgotten footnote in my glorious conquest."

"Don't listen to him, Link!" Navi's voice cracked against Link's mounting despair. She zipped between the pair, shaking with a final, desperate courage. "Leave him alone, you monster!"

Ganondorf's laughter boomed in Link's ears. "Such spirit, little fairy. A pity that it won't save you." His eyes narrowed at Link. "You will die here, boy. And your death will herald my reign."

The world tilted, the temple floor spinning beneath Link's feet. He wanted to scream, thrust the sword back into its place, to undo this catastrophic mistake... but his body betrayed him, frozen in place.

Ganondorf's laughter boomed once more. A blinding flash consumed all as the flames rose higher. Then... nothing, as the world vanished into a void of cold and silence.

~ 0 ~

The temple steps loomed like some monstrous tomb against the charred remnants of the once-vibrant city. Rauru, his battered body trembling with exhaustion, barely recognised the place where he had once soared in his owl form. Each shaky step was a battle against the relentless throbbing of his wounds. His transformation back to human form had been agonising, leaving him to collapse near the temple gates. With a final surge of desperate will, he reached the grand doors.

Ajar, he realised, but the significance was lost on him in that moment of pain.

Pausing, Rauru allowed one last, mournful glance towards the smouldering castle he'd once called home. "Oh, brother," he sighed, the name heavy with reproach. He'd warned Daphnes that no good would come of his alliance with the Gerudo king, but he hadn't listened.

Pushing aside the tide of grief, Rauru stepped into the temple, beholding a scene of carnage. In the inner sanctum, azure flames encircled the dais, pulsing, and the hum of sorcery was an almost perceptible vibration in the air.

Am I too late? Rauru wondered. The thought was a spear of ice through his battered soul.

Ignoring the fallen forms scattered about the floor, Rauru crossed the blood-slicked floor. He gathered the Spiritual Stones before his gaze snagged on a fallen figure, a flash of gold drawing his eye. With trembling hands, he knelt, whispering a prayer for the soul that had left this world, and retrieved the golden medallion.

"Thank you for keeping this safe, my friend. May you find peace in the embrace of our creators," he whispered.

Then, without hesitation, he stepped into the pulsating blue flames, the vortex swirling around him, taking him into the heart of darkness.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

5.6K 141 10
As Time's Wheel turned, Hyrule's ancient legends of kings, queens, and heroic knights in green slowly faded into myths. In the modern day Hyrule, eve...
2K 94 18
The Hero of Time is needed once again! After battling Majora in an alternate Hyrule, Link awakens to find himself in a mysterious forest and his memo...
764 2 43
Treated as an outcast amongst the mysterious Kokiri children, Link was always different from the others. It wasn't until the Great Deku Tree finally...
461K 15.2K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...