Kairos

By Throneofglassaddict1

*For fans of Percy Jackson, Greek/Roman mythology and epic historical battles* "In hindsight, knocking someon... More

Kairos
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 17

9 0 0
By Throneofglassaddict1

"Morning." I woke up to the female voice. The woman had silky hair, with threads of golden ribbon glinting throughout. Her deep brown eyes pierced into me, full of intelligence.

The memories came in a second later identifying her as Cleopatra the VII. I couldn't help gaping, she didn't look Egyptian at all! To be fair, I knew she was Macedonian, descendent of the Ptolemy dynasty so not actually Egyptian at all. But the clearly pervasive image in modern pop culture depicted her very differently. I blinked and sat up in bed.

"Where the fuck am I?" Then I cringed, as there was no way Octavia would swear. Although, the amount of irrational anger I felt towards this woman was definitely out of character as well.

"In the camp at Actium." What? But five seconds ago, I was falling asleep, ready to leave with Antony at dawn.

"Sorry? I was just in Rome, Antony just came to visit."

"You were likely dreaming, that occurred two years ago." Two years ago? Had I time travelled forward? It didn't make sense.

Maybe Cleopatra was right and those were Octavia's memories?

Why had I not just woken up here? Possibly my body was adjusting, and this was its way to help me understand my situation, so I was prepared. Now I wouldn't have to spend time going through the memories before I met anyone. I was quietly impressed with my body's adaptation.

With my mind still reeling with the information, my ears caught sounds outside. It was like waking up as Aikaterine and Cassia, they were preparing for war.

I also tried not to look at Cleopatra, I was worried that I would attack her if Octavia's rage overtook me.

"Ah I can see you harbour strong feelings towards me."

"Why should I not hate you? You stole my husband from me." I couldn't stop Octavia's child-like retort.

"I stole?" Her tone was bright with amusement.

"Ok, to be honest he would probably fall in love with one of my maidservants." I admitted with a grin and she laughed. Despite Octavia's hate, I found myself joining in.

"If I were going to steal anything from you, Octavia. It wouldn't be Marc Antony!" I waited for her to continue.

"I'd take your hair, it's such a gorgeous rich brown." She leaned forward and wrapped a lock of Octavia's brown locks around her finger. I found myself blushing at the compliment, charisma practically emitted from her. I could see why Antony and Caesar had fallen for her.

"Well, I'd take your intelligence," I declared, and she raised an eyebrow in delight.

"My intelligence?"

"It's said that you speak six languages fluently."

"Nine, actually."

"Nine?" My mouth dropped open in disbelief and her smile widened.

"That's amazing!"

"Well, thank you, it's nice to meet someone who doesn't immediately scoff at an educated woman." Cleopatra was an ancient feminist, the things you know.

"Your Majesty." Someone called from the tent flaps and Cleopatra called them in.

A man entered, his armour slightly different to that of Roman and I knew that he was Egyptian. Likely why he had addressed her as 'Your Majesty', I doubted that the other Roman soldiers while loyal to Antony, would see her as their leader.

"Marc Antony is about to make his speech and requires your presence." Cleopatra huffed but stood and held out a hand, I took it and stood up. I dressed quickly and my eye caught on a familiar black box next to the pile of clothes. My mouth tugged upwards secretly. Whilst I still did not know what it did, it gave me some comfort. Cleopatra called out and I hurried to follow her. As we walked to the centre of the camp where a crowd was gathering, I pondered whether this was the speech I had read about in Cassius Dios.

A large gathering of soldiers was shifting restlessly in front of a makeshift wooden platform, hastily erected. On top, stood the one and only Marc Antony. We got close as he began to speak.

"My friends," He announced loudly, silencing the crowd, "You belong to an army that is legendary in its strength, in its skill, in its pure superiority." The crowd erupted in cheers so loud Antony had to pause for them to settle, a secret smile on his face. When they grew quiet, he continued.

"Our enemies' funds are low; the population of Italy bears them no good will and they are commanded by a man who is barely more than a boy!" Again, the soldiers roared but I frowned, wasn't Octavian like thirty? Surely that was already a man? Then I mentally slapped myself because obviously Antony was exaggerating.

"What about Agrippa?" Someone yelled over the raucous noise. The only indication that Antony was annoyed by the interruption was a slight narrowing of his eyes. I only picked it up because Octavia had gotten used to reading his moods. I didn't want to delve down into that memory hole again.

"While it is true that Agrippa has won a naval battle in the past, just off the coast of Sicily, he was not even fighting Sexus Pompey but slaves! It is hardly an achievement to boast of, though I'm sure he does." Antony's eyes found mine and he smirked.

"Besides, even if he did compare in skill, what is he to do with such a fleet? There is a reason that I chose to engage them at sea. On land, I'll admit, we are weaker. Caesar's heir," The word was spat with such hostility that I almost flinched, "Has land dominant forces. But! But my friends, on the sea we are so much greater!"

"Now, I close this speech with a note on our unity. You all could succeed with an inferior general, and I of course could win with inferior forces, together we could move mountains, take on the gods themselves, and we will grind the false Caesar to the DUST!" He roared thrusting his sword to the masses who were practically foaming at the mouths. Jesus, Cleopatra took my arm and dragged me to the side as the men rushed back to their tents, still cheering and hitting each other.

A few men joined Antony as he left the makeshift stage and they approached us but did not seem to be stopping. They walked past us, with Antony shooting a heated gaze at Cleopatra that made Octavia feel sick. As they passed, I heard the remnants of their conversation.

"But he has scavengers that are already waiting to steal from our camp."

"We've already had so many deserters, if the money gets stolen...'

"We shall carry it with us on the ships," Antony answered, "The added weight will only be more damaging to his ships."

So that was why Antony's crew carried on board all their valuables, something that had puzzled me greatly when I had learnt about the battle.

***********************************************************************************************

I ran my fingers over the grooves of the box for the millionth time. The battle preparations had reached a new high and I knew that soon it would begin. Which meant I had to figure out how to work this box before then. All around soldiers were grabbing valuables and carrying them onto ships.

I was pondering what the hell I was going to do, when a soldier passed by and snatched the box out of my hands. My eyes widened as I chased after him.

"Give that back! Hey! Wait!" He either didn't hear or was ignoring me. The box was handed over to another soldier who carried up the ramp and onto one of the septimes. I ran after it, scooting past the first soldier. Once on board the ship I scanned the deck for the box. Shit the gods were going to be so pissed. We didn't even know what the box was for and I had lost it.

I had to admit it, Antony's ships were magnificent. It was fashioned from ancient oak, with a mast that was being taken down that must have been more than thirty feet, huge sails billowed out contrasting perfectly with the rich brown timbers. On the door to the cabin, a beautiful siren was painted, her red hair spread out as if in the breeze and her eyes closed in a serene expression.

I couldn't believe that I was on an ancient warship! Unfortunately, I had no time for sight-seeing because I needed to find the box and leave before I was caught in the middle of the battle. That would not be ideal.

There! By the mast, along with other valuables and a cage of two ravens that stuck out like a sore thumb – strange considering how superstitious Antony was as ravens seemed pretty unlikely. Unless of course, he was making a metaphorical statement about "caging" the unluckiness, or some idiot had brought them on by accident or for a sacrifice. Why the hell was I debating the purpose of ravens?

I rushed over, dodging someone coming up the ladder with a chest and practically launched myself at the box. Thank god I hadn't lost it.

Just as I was about to do a victory dance, someone yelled an order and the oars started moving like insect legs. After a few moments we shot forward and I fell over, box still clutched in my hands as the septime rowed towards the opening of the bay, where a line of ships was already facing us.

"WAIT! TURN AROUND, I'M STILL ON BOARD!" I screamed to no avail; we were moving at high speeds regardless.

I literally hate my life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 124 28
❛As the sun kissed the sea...their bodies melted into each other's❜ A story in which two troubled souls find safety in each other. Andromeda 'Andie'...
4.2K 119 46
Sam is a Greek demigod who has had an unfortunate past. After she befriends a group of adventurous demigods, she gets pulled into multiple quests to...
56.1K 1.3K 28
The second Titan war and the second giant war is over. Gaea is defeated. Peace has returned to the world. Everything is back to normal. Zeus, Poseido...
391K 8.8K 33
The war is over; Percy Jackson hopes to breathe a sigh of relief and have his happily ever after with Annabeth Chase. In comes Gwen - a daughter of...