My Past is just Prologue

By ReignOrolfo

*****this is not my original story***** Read My Past is Just Prologue By Louisa Dillon - Janet Longfellow fin... More

chapter 1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
chapter 51
chapter 52
chapter 54
chapter 55

chapter 53

221 3 0
By ReignOrolfo

It was surprising that old Mr. Webster welcomed Janet in.

Looking at how calm Janet was, Nathaniel had mixed feelings.

“Mr. Webster, would you please wait here? Old Mr. Webster’s condition is not so good, and he can’t afford to be p*ssed off again.”

Albert was sensible. He didn’t want to see any conflict between Nathaniel and old Mr. Webster, so he emphasized old Mr. Webster’s poor condition, trying to let Nathaniel realize that Nathaniel had done some wrong.

“Thank you, Albert. I will.”

Lowering his head, Nathaniel became silent.

As soon as Janet stepped into the villa, she saw old Mr. Webster sitting on the huge balcony, the crystal coffee table in front of him had brewed fragrant tea, and the steam was slowly rising, while he was looking up at the starry sky.

Perhaps it was out of guilt, Janet felt that old Mr. Webster looked extremely lonely.

“Grandpa, how are you?”

Skillfully taking off the coat placed on the coat rack in the living room, Janet walked to old Mr. Webster’s side naturally and put

the coat on for him.

“It’s still a little cold at night. Don’t catch a cold.”

“I’m fine. Albert turned on the floor heater for me. It’s warm here.”

Old Mr. Webster reviewed a bright smile when he saw Janet. He waved at Janet and said, “Come here, Jill. I miss you.”

To be honest, Janet felt nervous when she saw old Mr. Webster again. After all, she and Nathaniel had divorced.

She didn’t speak and sat opposite old Mr. Webster.

Old Mr. Webster looked at Janet and then frowned, saying worriedly, “You have lost a lot of weight. Have you had meals regularly recently? Not used to eating outside?”

Old Mr. Webster was sophisticated.

He didn’t ask Janet if she couldn’t fit in the life after she left the Webster family. Instead, he cared about Janet’s health. In fact, he was indicating that the reason why Janet lost weight was that she left here.

“Sorry, I made you worried, grandpa.”

Janet lowered her head, holding the hot tea that old Mr. Webster handed her.

One could only taste this kind of tea in the Webster family.

“Well, all parents care about their kids. Nathaniel grew up under my protection. It was impossible for you to hide the divorce news from me. I knew about it through the news earlier, but unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to contact you.”

Seeing how calm Janet looked, old Mr. Webster was not sure what Janet was thinking, so he cut to the point and brought up the divorce between Nathaniel and Janet.

“Thank you for caring about us, grandpa. I know what you mean, but Nathaniel and I have no future.”

Janet turned her head slightly and saw the wonderful flowers blooming in the courtyard under the moonlight. Somehow, she felt the impulse to cry.

“Why is there no future?”

Seeing Janet’s change, old Mr. Webster swung his cane anxiously. “I asked that brat why he divorced you, but he didn’t say

anything as if he was dumb. I wanted to see you today to get an answer. Tell me, why you divorced?”

Old Mr. Webster was anxious, and his voice suddenly became so loud that he choked. For a while, he coughed several times.

Janet hurried forward to pat him on the back. Old Mr. Webster’s face turned red from coughing, and Janet looked around, trying to find someone to help.

“Grandpa, are you okay? I’m going to find Albert.”

Janet hurriedly to leave but was grabbed by the wrist by old Mr. Webster.

“I’m fine.” Old Mr. Webster took a deep breath, and he looked better. “Jill, I know you love Nathaniel. I just don’t understand. Why did you two end up like this?”

Sure, even an outsider, old Mr. Webster, could feel Janet’s feelings for Nathaniel.

But after so many years, Nathaniel never believed in her.

Janet’s hand slowly slid down, and there was a stream of light in her eyes. “Grandpa, we just don’t have feelings for each other, and that’s it.”

After a pause, she seemed to feel relieved and looked at old Mr. Webster with a smile. “Grandpa, please let us solve our problems, okay?”

Although Janet said so, old Mr. Webster was unwilling to give up.

“I am worried about you. You’re too young and too emotional. Why don’t you have a sincere conversation to see if you can solve all the problems?”

Janet didn’t respond.

Albert, who had been paying attention to old Mr. Webster, went to call Nathaniel immediately when he saw that old Mr. Webster was choking, so Nathaniel happened to come in through the main entrance just after old Mr. Webster finished

speaking.

“Grandpa.”

Seeing that old Mr. Webster was fine, Nathaniel felt relieved.

Then he turned to look at Janet, but Janet didn’t seem to care about his arrival.

“Grandpa, there is no future for me and him.”

No one expected that Janet was more determined than Nathaniel. “Grandpa, I have married Nathaniel and been a housewife for three years without seeing any hope. Now I have found my goal and got my life back on track. I don’t want to force myself, and I don’t want to repeat the same mistakes again.”

Janet straightened her back and said firmly.

Nathaniel was surprised for a few seconds.

This was the first time Janet uttered these words so resolutely in front of him. For some reason, Nathaniel felt a little

uncomfortable.

He frowned and said, “Janet, do you want to…”

But Old Mr. Webster did not give Nathaniel a chance to speak. In his opinion, Nathaniel could only make things worse.

He interrupted Nathaniel and sighed, “Forget it. This brat doesn’t deserve you. I heard that you had become the chairman of the Longfellow Group. I am wondering what’s the relationship between you and Donahue of the Smedley Group.”

Albert walked in when Janet was about to answer.

“Sir, Mrs. Webster, old Mrs. Webster and Miss Webster are back.”

Albert still stubbornly called Janet Mrs. Webster, which p*ssed Winifred off.

“Mrs. Webster? There is no Mrs. Webster.”

Winifred rushed in. She was a little worried when old Mr. Webster asked her and Quintina to go back to the Webster Mansion.

However, after hearing Albert calling Janet Mrs. Webster, Winifred was instantly ignited.

“I’d like to see who is here wishing to be the daughter-in-

of the Webster family.”

“Mom, stop yelling, grandpa will be angry if he hears you…” Quintina followed Winifred closely, but when she saw Janet, her expression changed drastically. “Janet, why are you here?”

“What’s the noise?”

Nathaniel was a little annoyed by Janet’s words, and the loud voices of Winifred and Quintina made him angrier.

He stood in front of Janet and looked at Quintina coldly. “Quintina, where is your courtesy?”

“Nathaniel, how can you say that about your sister for an outsider?”

Winifred was unhappy.

Even if Anastasia made Winifred feel ashamed, Winifred still looked down on Janet.

Seeing that Nathaniel was scolding Quintina, Winifred became angry and was about to lose her temper.

“Enough!” Old Mr. Webster stood up and cast a cold glance at Winifred. “Look at yourself, hanging out with that Anastasia all day long and bringing disgrace to our family. How dare you lose your temper here?”

Winifred was intimidated by old Mr. Webster and dared not speak

Quintina was scared by Nathaniel’s cold attitude, but when she saw that his brother and grandfather were defending Janet, she couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Grandpa, it’s not all mom’s fault. Those who caused trouble and embarrassed our family all have something to do with

Janet.”

“She has been involved with so many men. She is no better than Anastasia.”

“It’s her that brought disgrace to our family!”

Quintina stomped her feet and put her hands on her waist.

Look like a demon.

If Nathaniel hadn’t stood in front of Janet, she would have scratched Janet’s face. She hated Janet so much.

“Quintina!”

Nathaniel’s sharp eyes narrowed, and his tone was a bit colder than before, “Admit you’re wrong when you make a mistake. Who taught you to find excuses for your mistake and even slender others?”

He didn’t understand why his sister had become such a crazy woman.

Nathaniel’s expression was extremely gloomy.

When Janet looked up, she could see the back of Nathaniel protecting her.

Nathaniel was tall. Years of exercise had promised him a strong body, which could make people feel the power.

Nathaniel had never defended her like this before.

This was the first time…

Janet couldn’t help laughing bitterly in her heart. They had divorced, and it was silly of her to be touched by his actions.

“Miss Webster, I think you made a mistake.”

Janet pushed Nathaniel aside and stepped forward. “The video of Anastasia ruining her own body or her filthy past could be found easily. They will not disappear. If the wedding is not canceled today, it will only be a bigger scandal for the Webster family in the future.”

“Besides, if I really want to target the Webster family, today’s matter will definitely not be over so easily. I can do this.” When she said these words, she still held old Mr. Webster’s exquisite teacup. She sounded calm with a cold expression.

For a long time, Winifred thought that Janet was the bumpkin.

Looking at Janet’s behavior now, Winifred started to feel uncertain.

The powerful feeling that Janet presented made Winifred feel that she was looking at Nathaniel.

How could it be…

Quintina was reprimanded one after another, and she disliked Janet very much.

She said, “Janet, who are you? You come to the Webster family and want to get my brother’s help again. Where do you nobler

than others? You…”

Before Quintina finished speaking, she saw Nathaniel’s warning eyes and dared not say any more.

“Do not take it personally.”

Nathaniel turned around, his eyes fell on Janet’s teacup, and said.

For a moment, Janet couldn’t figure out whether he was speaking to her or not.

Old Mr. Webster’s face turned dark, and he also apologized, “Jill, Quintina has an impulsive personality, don’t be angry. You haven’t said what’s the relationship between Donahue and you?”

No wonder old Mr. Webster cared.

The Webster Group and the Smedley Group had the intention of cooperating. If they could not cooperate, they would develop a competitive relationship. He could not ignore the pros and cons of this.

Janet pursed her lips lightly and said, “He’s my cousin.”

Janet frankly admitted Donahue’s identity, which stunned everyone present.

“How is it possible! Are you Ms. Juliana of the Longfellow family?”

Quintina gasped and scanned Janet with her eyes.

“I think these things that happened today should be enough to prove my identity.”

Janet glanced at Quintina lightly, her tone was extremely steady, and she even took the time to brew a new cup of hot tea for

old Mr. Webster.

After being slightly stunned, old Mr. Webster took the hot tea and sighed, “No wonder I like your tea so much.”

It was said that when Janet’s parents were still alive, her mother made good tea. It could be seen that she had learned a lot.

In this way, some of her words and deeds, as well as her dignified and elegant posture, had their roots.

Nathaniel took a serious look at Janet.

For a long time, he thought that Janet was a scheming woman who deliberately learned these things in order to cling to the Webster family.

When he knew that it was something she had been in contact with since she was a child, Nathaniel couldn’t help but feel a little ashamed of his previous guesses.

“How is it possible! I met your parents!” Winifred couldn’t believe it, and said loudly, “I personally sent someone to the slum to pick him up! How could you be the lady of the Longfellow family?”

Although at the auction, Janet had already stated that she was Ms. Juliana, Winifred still stubbornly believed that Janet was just

a counterfeit.

She still waited to see the news behind her being exposed.

But now, even Donahue had stepped forward for her. Could it be that Janet was really the Ms. Juliana of the Longfellow family?

Hearing Winifred’s question, Janet was silent for a long time.

After a while, she narrowed her eyes and said softly, “There is nothing impossible. A major car accident in our family ten years ago caused me to have short-term amnesia. It was my adoptive parents who took care of me until I recovered my memory.”

“That’s why when I got married, I specifically invited them to witness.”

Janet kept her head down, holding the teacup tightly in her hands as if relying on this cup of hot tea to comfort her heart.

Nathaniel kept looking at her, listening to the truth. When he saw her downcast and lonely eyes, a strange feeling crossed his

heart.

An unknown emotion began to spread.

Winifred was still relentless, “Why don’t you invite people from the Longfellow family or the Smedley family to attend? You deliberately concealed your identity and married into the Webster family, what is your plan!”

With the power of the Longfellow family in Raleigh city, even if Janet’s parents were no longer in power, everyone wanted to

be her husband.

Nathaniel’s cold eyes swept over, “We have already divorced, so what are we going to do with this?”

“How can we not figure it out? If she…”

“Because I don’t want others to know that I’m married!”

Janet directly interrupted Winifred’s words, she slowly raised her eyes and looked straight at Nathaniel.

Saying word by word.

“Because I don’t want them to know that my husband didn’t even give me a wedding.”

“I don’t want my parents to worry about me, and I don’t want the relatives of the Longfellow family to know how much I don’t get Nathaniel’s attention.”

Janet’s words made Nathaniel couldn’t help frowning.

“You agreed not to hold a wedding.”

Nathaniel’s voice was a little dull.

“Yes.” Janet pulled the corners of her mouth and forced a smile, “Because no one in my family agreed to let me marry you. In order to marry you, I left my family, quarreled with relatives, was stubborn to marry you, and hoped you could fall in love with

me…”

While talking, Janet felt that she was ridiculously childish.

The smile turned bitter, but her eyes were full of magnanimity, “I tried my best to prove that it was not a wrong choice for me to marry you. But in the end, I was wrong, everything was wrong.”

Looking at Janet, Nathaniel began to seriously consider for the first time whether Janet was really telling the truth when she said that she liked him.

He thought, “If she liked me, how can she watch me marry another woman as my wife?”

Nathaniel found that he couldn’t understand Janet.

Winifred and Quintina looked very embarrassed.

Janet was the lady of the Longfellow family, which made them unacceptable!

If Janet had the Longfellow Group and collected information on all the cooperative branches of Longfellow Group, her worth could be as high as hundreds of billions.

Anastasia was not even worthy of carrying her shoes.

In this quiet atmosphere, a deep sigh sounded.

Old Mr. Webster sighed, with infinite emotion in his heart, “I also heard about the car accident ten years ago. It is indeed a pity. If it wasn’t for the accident, Longfellow Group should have enjoyed a great reputation in the international field and become a big company in the world.”

“Yes.” Janet lowered her head.

Thinking of her deceased parents, she couldn’t force a smile, and her eyes gradually turned red.

“Jill, I want to apologize to you. Whether it’s three years ago or later, it’s our fault.”

He stood up tremblingly and walked across to Janet.

Janet raised her head in a daze. She saw old Mr. Webster standing in front of her, with a wrinkled hand leaning on a cane, wanting to bow to her.

“Grandfather!”

“Dad!”

“Grandpa, what are you doing!” Janet hurriedly bent down to support him, “Grandpa, you are the best person to me in the Webster family, you don’t need to apologize to me, I should say sorry to you!”

“Yes! Dad! Who knows what she is thinking about marrying into our family? How can you apologize to her!”

Winifred was not well.

Back then, she used some calculations to forcefully marry into the Webster family. Although old Mr. Webster didn’t say anything, she always felt that he knew about it.

That was why she had always been afraid of him.

And such a person in awe of her actually lowered his figure to apologize to Janet, it was something Winifred couldn’t accept!

“Shut up! You don’t like everyone all the time. I think you are snobs!”

Seeing Quintina interrupting again and again, old Mr. Webster couldn’t bear to yell at him. Compared with the calm and indifferent Janet, how could they have the mind of a lady?

“Grandpa is right, you are so rude.”

Nathaniel’s face was also extremely bad. For some reason, he felt inexplicably unhappy when he heard that old Mr. Webster wanted to introduce a good man to Janet.

Could it be that he can still find a better man than himself?

“Son, how can you talk to your sister like that and me?”

A bit of annoyance appeared on Winifred’s face.

“Nathaniel is right! You can speak harshly about others, and he just said a few words about you, and you are not happy? Not to mention whether Jill has the identity of the lady of the Longfellow family, even if she was not, I taught you don’t use such sharp words to stab people. You don’t listen!”

The more old Mr. Webster said the angrier he became. Control his emotions and not throwing the crutches in his hands on these bodies exhausted all his willpower.

“Grandpa, we are not the same as Janet. She has no parenting…”

“Quintina.”

Nathaniel’s tone became extremely cold, “It seems that you are able to repay the previous 40 million dollars owed.”

Nathaniel suddenly mentioned the 40 million dollars, and Janet suddenly thought of the time when Ernest pitted Winifred before. Her depressed mood became happy.

“Bad brother…”

Quintina muttered softly.

“Apologize.”

Nathaniel was unambiguous, his thin lips parted slightly, and another depth charge exploded.

“What?”

Winifred was also stunned.

Nathaniel had a cold, handsome face, and his tone was sharp, “Apologize to Janet.”

“I apologize to her? Why!”

Quintina’s voice pierced through the air like a sp*ke, making Janet frown.

“You owe an apology to her.” Old Mr. Webster glanced at Nathaniel, and said solemnly, “If you don’t want to apologize, go abroad and don’t stay in Raleigh!”

Nathaniel also cast cold eyes on them, “Alfred is outside. It’s been a long time since you’ve been back in Raleigh. I guess you miss your friends abroad.”

He uttered such a sentence in a low voice, and his tone was so cold that even Janet couldn’t get used to it.

“No!”

Winifred hastily reached out and grabbed Nathaniel’s wrist.

At this moment, Winifred and Quintina realized it.

They must apologize!

“Ok, we apologize now!”

Winifred looked frustrated, and turned to Janet, “I’m sorry.”

“I can’t hear.”

Janet made a sound.

“What?” As soon as Winifred heard these words, she immediately wanted to raise her hand and give Janet a slap.

“Cough!”

At this moment, with a light cough from old Mr. Webster, Winifred’s hand immediately stopped in the air.

She gritted her tooth, and lowered her head slightly, “Janet! I’m sorry!”

This time, Winifred directly bowed ninety degrees, took Quintina, and apologized loudly to Janet.

“Um.”

Janet didn’t raise her eyelids, but she was able to take a sip of tea silently.

“Janet, we apologize to you, is this your reaction?”

Seeing her indifferent attitude, Quintina instantly became angry again. But because of Nathaniel’s coercion, she could only grit his teeth and squeeze out this sentence.

Janet raised her eyes and glanced at her, with a mocking look on her face, she was not the person who compromised with Winifred and Quintina for Nathaniel.

Winifred and Quintina have done so many excessive things for so many years, they should apologize to her.

She was fully qualified to accept it!

“Which law write if you apologize to me, I must forgive you?”

As she spoke, his eyes drifted past Nathaniel.

She wanted to know what Nathaniel would say and do.

However, Nathaniel did not speak, but his eyebrows were slightly lowered, not knowing what he was thinking.

“Jill, since they have apologized to you, please…” Old Mr. Webster looked at Janet again, and he hoped that Janet and Nathaniel could get back together.

In the past three years, he knew she loved Nathaniel.

Secondly, Janet’s current status was more than enough to match the descendants of the Webster family. She was well-matched and extremely suitable.

Whenever there was even the slightest chance, he was not willing to let it go.

“I’m sorry, Grandpa.”

Janet looked away from Nathaniel and stood up, bowing deeply to old Mr. Webster, “We broke up peacefully, so there is no reason to get back together.”

“Well…”

Hearing what she said, old Mr. Webster finally cut off his thoughts. He felt a little sad to lose such a well-behaved and sensible granddaughter-in-law.

“Our family has been sorry to you these years. Jill, since you have decided that it is impossible to get back together with him, I have a small request, and I hope you can agree.”

||

He firmly held Janet’s hands, with a pleading look in his eyes.

Janet was a little moved, “Grandpa, you are too polite, just tell me what you want. If I can do it, I will definitely promise you!”

She thought as long as she did not get back together with Nathaniel, she would be willing to do anything reasonable for him

who took care of her.

“Can you be my g*d-granddaughter?”

“I knew Nathaniel didn’t have this blessing. I don’t want to wrong you. When the time comes, I will introduce you to a better one. Can you promise me?”

Janet couldn’t bear the sincerity of his words.

She didn’t feel wronged when Nathaniel treated her like that, and Conrad tried to seize the Longfellow family’s property. On the contrary, it was because of this grandfather who had no blood relationship with her but treated her so sincerely. Then, the grievance couldn’t help welling up in her heart.

“I._”

Nathaniel frowned when he heard the word “g*d-granddaughter”.

He interrupted Janet, went to support the old man, and said in a low voice, “Grandpa, this matter has nothing to do with you, and you are not wrong. We are not suitable.”

“Yeah, don’t need to apologize!”

Quintina gritted her teeth, and glared at Janet, “Grandpa, Janet is my brother’s ex-wife, even if they don’t remarry, you shouldn’t worry about her marriage, right?”

“Jill.”

Old Mr. Webster didn’t want to pay attention to these things but just looked at Janet stubbornly, waiting for her answer.

When Nathaniel heard this, his warning eyes fell on Janet.

“Okay, Grandpa, I promise you!”

The corners of her lips twitched into a smile, and she readily agreed!

Nathaniel’s expression changed instantly, “Janet!”

Seeing the woman smilingly agreeing, Nathaniel suddenly felt a surge of irritability. He grabbed her slender wrist and dragged her out.

“Son!”

Winifred watched Nathaniel dragging Janet away and hurriedly wanted to catch up.

“Stop!”

Old Mr. Webster’s crutch hit the small coffee table in front of him heavily, making both Winifred and Quintina tremble subconsciously in fright. Then, he said angrily, “Do you want to p*ss me off?”

“No, Dad, I’m afraid…”

Winifred looked in the direction where Nathaniel and Janet left and then at old Mr. Webster. She could only sigh and sat down

on the chair.

“Nathaniel, what are you doing? You hurt me!”

Janet was taken out of the room by Nathaniel. Because she was taken out passively, and her legs were not as long as Nathaniel, Janet could only trot all the way, st*ggering and trying to keep up with his pace.

Not long after, Nathaniel stopped under the long corridor of the Webster Mansion.

“You…”

Janet felt a little baffled by Nathaniel’s sudden actions.

Nathaniel lowered his eyes and saw the fair skin on Janet’s wrist, which was slightly reddened by his tugging, and the strength in his hand softened unconsciously.

Nathaniel pressed her shoulders with his hands and looked at her with straight eyes.

“Janet, why did you deliberately approach me? Just as grandpa said, with the Longfellow family back then, you didn’t need to do this at all. What is your intention?”

Nathaniel’s tone was dull, with a hint of questioning.

This was the first time Janet had physical contact with Nathaniel since they divorced. It made her feel uncomfortable. She could only step back until she was forced to a corner by him, and could not step back anymore.

She leaned back on the cool wooden pillar, the face she had loved so much for many years in front of her. Hearing his questioning voice, memories from ten years ago appeared in Janet’s mind again.

“It’ll be fine, don’t be afraid.”

“Don’t worry, I’m here.”

“Don’t look…”

After the car accident, when she couldn’t help trembling in Nathaniel’s arms because of the pain in her body and the grief in her heart, Nathaniel’s gentle voice comforted her heart.

“I already said that…”

Feeling the farmiliar scent of him, Janet silently lowered his head, trying to use such actions to conceal the true thoughts in her heart. The slight sandalwood that was specially prepared for him by a top perfumer, selected by himself, and specially used for the fumigation of Nathaniel.

“Just because I love you and want to marry you.”

Hearing Janet’s words like a confession again, Nathaniel’s heart sk*pped a beat for no reason.

“Because you love a man, you can become so humble? You didn’t even hesitate to hide her identity and don’t want a wedding?”

Although Janet had said that she loved him more than once, Nathaniel always subconsciously denied her words.

Janet looked up at him. Flirtatious lips, pointed nose, and suspicious eyes.

With a wry smile, Janet spread her hands helplessly, “Believe it or not, I’ve already confessed.”

Nathaniel looked at her as if he was considering whether her words were worth trusting.

“I thought that I had paid so much to you in the past three years, and I have already expressed my feelings clearly. But, you always feel that I have schemes. Then, I would like to ask you, what do you think I am plotting against you?”

Hearing Janet’s question, Nathaniel’s pupils suddenly dilated.

He suddenly remembered that before he divorced Janet, he was once drunk

“Sorry, I’m here to pick up Nathaniel, is he there? I heard he was drunk.”

At that time, Nathaniel was a little drunk but not blurred consciousness. When Janet entered the door, her overly pretty appearance made the eyes of a group of men change.

“Come to pick up Nathaniel? Who are you?”

“I’m afraid you want to take advantage of Mr. Webster’s drunkenness and think about him?”

“Hahaha! After all, Mr. Webster is the best diamond king in Raleigh. It’s normal for these women to have such thoughts!”

“Little girl, I’m afraid he won’t touch you, why don’t you come and find me? I have some assets, maybe I can satisfy you?”

Dirty words came into Janet’s ears, making her turn pale.

What did he say then?

Nathaniel couldn’t remember anymore.

In his impression, there was only Janet’s figure with his back turned to him, and said, “I’m Mr. Webster’s friend, I have to bring him home today. As for the wine, I drink it for him!”

It was the first time that Nathaniel, who was always indifferent, was affected by Janet.

“Janet, are you stup*d? How dare you drink those wine?”

On the way home, Nathaniel dragged Janet, and his tone was annoyed, different from his usual.

But Janet didn’t say, and she just accompanied him silently, let him take it home obediently. She cooked him a bowl of hangover soup, changed his dirty clothes for him, and wiped his body, which was obsessed with cleanliness.

He said, “Janet, don’t do these superficial tricks, it’s useless. I won’t love you.”

He said, “Don’t you just love money? I give you money, you give up your position.”

He said, “You are a woman full of scheming, but act like others. Janet, you are disgusting.”

Thinking about it, Nathaniel felt that what he said at the time was a little rude, and now Janet said that she married him just because she loved him.

Nathaniel felt a little strange in his heart.

“Janet, when did you start to love me?”

Nathaniel’s tone changed slightly. He looked down at Janet with deep eyes

Nathaniel was still unwilling to believe that Janet’s devotion to him for so many years was only because of such a simple

reason as she liked him.

“Is there any need to tie ourselves up in knots about these things?”

Janet covered the panic in her eyes for a moment and directly shook Nathaniel’s hand off. Then she turned and left.

Seeing that Janet was trying to escape, Nathaniel dragged her back again roughly and supported the pillar behind her with one hand, restraining her forcefully in front of him.

His tone was a little eager, “Janet, you keep saying that you like me, but you don’t care that I marry another woman. Is that how you like me? How do you prove it?”

Nathaniel didn’t understand why Janet’s explanation to his grandfather just now made him so irritated.

Nathaniel thought, “Is she afraid that the Longfellows would think she is unhappy?”

Nathaniel felt that he could not respond to Janet except emotionally, but he had never wronged her materially, which was his attitude from the beginning.

But in Janet’s view, Nathaniel’s questioning was ridiculous.

Anastasia had such a big incident, but Nathaniel didn’t blame Anastasia. Janet just said she liked him, but his reaction was so

big.

Did being liked by her really make Nathaniel disgusting to this extent?

“Janet, you must give me an answer.

Nathaniel’s attitude was as domineering as ever.

Seeing Nathaniel’s hand, which was blocking her way, Janet took a deep breath and then exhaled slowly, turning her head to look up at him with cold eyes, “Mr. Webster, I have already divorced you. I don’t have to answer all your questions, do I?”

“If you want to leave the Webster family’s mansion safely today, you’d better answer my question,” Nathaniel’s face tightened, and his voice was tense. He looked at the woman in front of him with deep eyes.

Janet frowned, “Are you threatening me?”

Nathaniel didn’t say anything, but his attitude was quite clear.

Janet moved her lips slightly and thought quickly. She lowered her eyes slightly. After thinking for about ten seconds, she raised her eyes to look at Nathaniel again. Her beautiful eyes were clear and honest, “Would you believe me when I said it was because I fell in love with you at first sight?”

Nathaniel might have believed Janet if he hadn’t noticed that she was raising her eyebrows slightly when she said these.

“Fell in love with me at first sight?” Nathaniel sneered, “You treat me like a three–year–old kid? Three years ago, I didn’t

know you at all. How could you love me so much that you could give up your identity, status, social relations, etc.?”

Hearing Nathaniel’s questioning, Janet did not say anything.

But Nathaniel would not allow her to keep escaping. For some reason today, he stubbornly wanted an answer, “And, you kept saying that you were pregnant back then. If you hadn’t done that thing with me while I was drunk, and after you said you were pregnant, why would you marry me, eli?”

Hearing Nathaniel mentioned the aborted baby, Janet’s body trembled. Her heart seemed to stop beating for a little while, and a huge sadness surged into her heart instantly.

“The baby was aborted as soon as you married me.”

Nathaniel was very wronged, “Janet, put yourself in my shoes and think about it. Don’t you think these coincidences are too outrageous?‘

It was the first time that Nathaniel took the initiative to mention the aborted baby, and Janet finally stopped struggling to escape his control.

That baby…

The rims of her eyes turned red.

“What do you mean?”

Janet looked at her toes. Her black high–heeled shoes glowed with a faint light, just like her memories back then, which were dark and deeply hidden.

She lost that baby.

The operating room that day was blindingly and ghastly white, as pale as her face.

In the past three years, for countless days and nights, Janet never dared to recall the scene of that day.

When she found out that she was pregnant, she protected the baby carefully all the time, until she heard the doctor say that the baby was developing well and healthy, but the next day….

She was carefully supporting the railing to go downstairs, but one of the steps was very slippery. Even though she tried hard to grab the railing, she fell hard.

She was so helpless and perplexed. She called out hysterically, but no one responded.

The bright red blood ran from between her fair legs to the ground, and she fainted.

She lost her baby.

When Janet woke up, all she got was this news.

Along with the loss of the baby, it seemed that the secret behind why the baby was aborted was buried…

She thought these had made her very pain, but she didn’t expect what Nathaniel said next hurt her so much….

“Janet, were you pregnant back then?”

Janet froze for a moment, and her eyes gradually cooled down. She looked at Nathaniel c**lly, with countless disappointments in her eyes.

“Do you suspect I had a false pregnancy?”

She said word by word.

Nathaniel had never seen Janet like this before. Her eyes seemed to contain grievances and accusations that could not be described in words.

“I just want to know the truth,” Nathaniel said in a deep voice.

“Hmm,” Janet sneered, “Nathaniel, you haven’t asked about the baby for three years, but now you’re talking about it so much here. Aren’t you very capable? Why don’t you check it yourself?”

Her miscarriage that year was a sore spot in her heart.

That was Nathaniel’s baby, and Nathaniel was his father.

Not only did he not feel sad about the loss of the baby, he even doubted whether that baby ever existed.

Janet couldn’t accept it.

Seemingly aware of the change in Janet’s mood, Nathaniel felt inexplicable panic. Realizing that he might have gone too far, he tried to explain to her.

“I just think the appearance of the baby was a perfect coincidence, and…”

“Enough!” Janet interrupted him without hesitation and shouted, “Shut up. People like you are not qualified to mention the baby. Since you already think that baby did not exist, why do you ask about it now?”

The more Janet thought about it, the angrier she became.

When she had a miscarriage back then, Nathaniel never came to take care of her once, chose to deceive herself with the lie of “he is just too busy”.

but she, who had fallen in love with him,

But…

Janet never expected that Nathaniel had always thought that she was fabricating a lie about the existence of the baby.

That was a living being.

Nathaniel actually doubted the baby’s existence.

“L…”

Nathaniel wanted to say something else, but when he raised his eyes, he saw the tears rolling in Janet’s eyes and her red eyes. His heart suddenly hurt for a moment.

“Janet?”

“Go away.”

Nathaniel’s hand was slapped away by Janet.

She didn’t want to stay in this corridor any longer.

Nathaniel looked at Janet’s back and the hand she raised every now and then as if wiping tears from her eyes. His arm ached

from her hard slap.

Did he really have a baby with Janet?

Nathaniel recalled…

“Mom, Janet had a miscarriage and needs care. I’m really busy. Could you take care of her, please? I’ll bring you gifts from abroad, and I hope you’ll help soothe her.”

Nathaniel called Winifred as soon as he got the news of Janet’s miscarriage that year.

What did his mother say back then?

Nathaniel’s black eyes trembled.

Winifred said, “Nathaniel, I don’t think Janet looked like a mother who lost her baby. Technically, she was three months pregnant. She had an unexpected miscarriage, and I thought she had to rest for a few days, but she was discharged from the hospital the next day. Is it possible that she faked the pregnancy?”

He didn’t suspect Janet. He just told his mother not to assume anything until he got home.

But after he returned to the country and faced Janet, she was just a little silent and unexpectedly never mentioned a word

about the baby with him.

And his mother couldn’t stop emphasizing Janet’s “strange” behavior, so he just…

The more Nathaniel thought about it, the more irritable he became. He pulled off the tie at the front of his neck irritably.

As a son, Nathaniel didn’t want to doubt his mother.

However, things had come to this point, and J from Janet’s attitude, she didn’t seem to be lying. She was genuinely sad, and

there was no need for her to lie.

In the dark environment, with a little light shining, Nathaniel took out his mobile phone and made a phone call.

“Mr. Webster? It’s so late. What’s the matter?”

“Alfred, go and check something for me. I want the fastest information,” Nathaniel sat on the bench in the corridor with some irritability, “Go and check Janet’s visit to the hospital three years ago.”

“Mr. Webster, why are you suddenly investigating Miss Longfellow?”

Alfred asked cautiously. After all, the matter of breaking off the engagement just happened today. Alfred wanted to know what Nathaniel was thinking.

“Just go and check. Why do you ask so much?”

Nathaniel’s tone was very unfriendly. He rubbed her temples, and he felt that he had a severe headache, “Go and check Janet’s pregnancy tests for the year she was pregnant and information about her miscarriage and surgery. Find out if these things are true.”

“OK.”

After staying alone in the corridor for a short period of time, Nathaniel stood up and went back to his room until his thoughts gradually calmed down.

Before entering his room, he heard old Mr. Webster’s scolding.

Then Winifred and Quintina got evicted, stumbling and jostling each other.

Winifred’s face went an ugly green, “Dad, who is your family member? How can you favor others?”

Quintina covered her face, feeling terribly wronged, “Grandpa, don’t you love me anymore? I am your own granddaughter. How can you stick up for Janet, a woman who is so scheming? She tortured Nathaniel so much that his wedding was canceled. She humiliated the Webster family, but you stuck up for her. Grandpa, you are so biased.”

Her marriage had not yet been settled, but her own grandfather did not care about her marriage. Instead, he cared so much about an outsider like Janet.

Quintina thought, “In his heart, is that b*tch more important than me?”

Old Mr. Webster looked at his granddaughter who couldn’t distinguish right from wrong, and the more he thought about it, the angrier he became. If it wasn’t for the fact that Quintina was a girl, he would have raised the crutch in his hand to hit Quintina.

“Think about what you’ve done. How can you ask me why I stick up for Jill? If I didn’t stick up for her, she would be tortured to death by you and your mother. What would outsiders say about the Webster family when they know this?”

“Grandpa, you are biased.”

“You,” Hearing Quintina’s h*rse roar and accusation, feeling his heart blocked, old Mr. Webster immediately violently coughed up.

“Grandpa, take care of yourself.”

Nathaniel’s face changed, and he hurried forward, wanting to support old Mr. Webster. But he did not expect to be mercilessly hit by old Mr. Webster’s crutch, and he was thrown off.

“I don’t need your support, and you don’t need to be here to suffer wrong.”

“Bang!” The three-meter-high gate of the house was slammed shut.

Winifred saw that old Mr. Webster shook off Nathaniel’s hand and hurried forward, checking Nathaniel’s situation with concern, “Nathaniel, are you all right? You weren’t hurt?”

Nathaniel didn’t say anything. He looked at Winifred, and he kept thinking about what Janet had said when she left.

Nathaniel thought, “Was Janet really pregnant back then? Why did Mom…”

“Clatter!”

Nathaniel’s thoughts were interrupted by the door being opened again.

“Albert?” Quintina looked back with surprise on her face, “I knew Grandpa would not be willing to drive us away. Did Grandpa

call us in?”

“Mr. Webster, Old Mr. Webster told you to hurry back to deal with the aftermath of today’s wedding and control Webster Group’s public opinion and don’t waste time here.”

Nathaniel and Quintina remained silent.

Nathaniel frowned his eyebrows. He thought, “Janet is not at the Webster Mansion, so I’m wasting my time here?”

Winifred asked unwillingly, “Then… What about me?”

The only response to her was the door closed again.

“Nathaniel, Mom really didn’t know that Janet had such an identity back then. You wouldn’t blame Mom, would you?”

When Winifred couldn’t blandish old Mr. Webster, she could only walk up to Nathaniel, looking at him with earnest eyes.

Nathaniel’s eyes were heavy, “You and Quintina go back first. I have to rush to the company to deal with matters immediately, and the members of Webster Group may have to work overtime all night tonight.”

Hearing what Nathaniel said, Winifred felt as if all the strength in her body was suddenly drained, and she instantly went limp.

If she hadn’t believed in Anastasia so much and fully supported Nathaniel and Anastasia’s marriage, the situation like today would not have happened.

Winifred felt very uncomfortable in her heart.

“OK,” She lowered her head sullenly, and then fearing that Nathaniel would be affected by today’s things, she hurriedly raised her head and said, “Nathaniel, don’t worry about what happened today. I think in your position, you can be with any kind of woman you want. There are women like Janet everywhere.”

“I think so. Nathaniel, in my opinion, neither Janet nor Anastasia is a good person. One is full of scheming, and the other is

indiscreet.”

Quintina had no idea about Anastasia. Until now, she did not know what words to use to describe Anastasia, “Nathaniel, don’t worry. I have so many good friends. They have admired you for a long time. They are beautiful and gentle. They are much better than Janet.”

Beautiful and gentle… Nathaniel couldn’t help but think of Janet.

As for beauty, Nathaniel had never seen a more beautiful woman than Janet. As for gentleness, Janet, before the divorce, was

also very gentle….

“Why do I think of her again?” Nathaniel frowned and cursed.

“Enough!”

“You don’t have to meddle or worry about who I marry.’

Nathaniel’s face was full of indifference. He lowered his eyes and stared at Winifred coldly, “Mom, let me ask you a question. Did you hide anything from me about Janet’s miscarriage three years ago?”

“Why… why did you suddenly ask this?”

Winifred froze for three seconds and said in a daze, “Janet was definitely not pregnant. At that time you asked me to take care of her, so I came to do it, but she looked fine.”

“Normally, when a mother aborts a baby, she must be very sad. Janet didn’t. And most people can’t get out of bed after a miscarriage. She was discharged from the hospital the next day. Was this normal?”

Quintina was at the side. Seeing Nathaniel suddenly ask about this thing, her expression was a little strange.

Nathaniel pressed his temple, “Since you went to take care of her, didn’t you see the case report issued by the hospital, or did you not ask the doctor about her specific situation?”

“About this…”

Winifred couldn’t answer this question.

“It’s been so long. How can we still remember it clearly? Nathaniel, are you doubting us?” Quintina yelled from the side.

“So, you didn’t know the truth and affirmed that Janet was a fake pregnancy?”

As Nathaniel said these words, the image of Janet red-eyed as she accused him was right in front of his eyes, and he couldn’t help but feel sorry for her.

Seeing Nathaniel’s suspicious expression, Winifred said a little unhappily, “Nathaniel, even if I didn’t like Janet, the baby in her belly belonged to our Webster family. He was my own grandson. How could I joke about the baby?”

“That’s right, Nathaniel. Why do you suddenly ask about this? Is it because Janet is speaking ill of us again?”

Winifred and Quintina were making a noise, which made Nathaniel feel a headache.

“Well, I just remembered it suddenly and asked casually. If you don’t know, forget it. I’ve got to go now. I will ask the driver to take you home later.”

Nathaniel didn’t continue to dwell on this thing. Anyway, with Alfred’s ability, he should soon get the results from the

hospital.

Ever since what happened to Anastasia, Nathaniel would no longer believe a one-sided version of a story easily.

“OK..”

After watching Nathaniel leave, Winifred turned around nervously and grabbed Quintina’s hand.

“Quintina, why did your brother suddenly bring up Janet’s miscarriage back then? Did that bitch Janet tell him something secretly?”

Seeing Winifred’s nervous look, Quintina didn’t dare to look directly into her eyes, and then she looked away evasively.

“Who knows? It’s inexplicable. Were you talking about Nathaniel’s wedding? Why were you talking about Janet’s pregnancy and miscarriage again?”

After all, Quintina was brought up by Winifred’s side. Because Nathaniel was questioning her so suddenly, she was a little caught off guard.

But now, she immediately realized that Quintina was changing the subject.

Back then, Winifred hated Janet. When she received a call from Nathaniel, she didn’t want to go at all. Quintina said she would go instead of Winifred.

Quintina told her that Janet had gotten out of bed soon after the miscarriage.

“Couldn’t Janet really have been pregnant back then?” Winifred stared at Quintina with wide eyes, “What was it like when you went to see her back then? Was she really…”

“Mom, you doubt me. How can you trust Janet but not trust me?”

Quintina yelled loudly as if someone had stepped on her sore feet.

“I’m sure Janet wasn’t pregnant back then. So what if Janet is from a wealthy family? There are so many women from wealthy families. There are not many men like my brother who are successful in their careers and have outstanding abilities. Those women say they’re pregnant to get a rich man. That kind of thing happens in our circles too.”

“If she had thought of the reputation of the Longfellow Group, she would have been ashamed to do such a thing. If she just wanted to marry Nathaniel without damaging the reputation of the Longfellow Group, she’d done all she could.”

“She deliberately pretended to be a poor person to make us bully her. Maybe she thought that she would recover her identity in the future, so she could blackmail us.”

Hearing what Quintina said, Winifred immediately felt that it made sense and nodded in agreement.

“It makes sense…

Seeing that Winifred was finally fooled by what she had said, Quintina secretly let out a long sigh of relief.

Although her mother had always stuck up for her, Quintina couldn’t guarantee that if Winifred knew that the woman really almost had a baby back then, and…

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1M 117K 55
New release! (( This book is a sneak peek at what is now available on Amazon and FREE on Kindle Unlimited! There are 5 chapters available for you to...
10.6K 167 74
"You don't want me..." I breathed, selfishly leaning into his touch. But I quickly pull away. "I'm different and so not your type," I muttered, looki...
3.6M 69.2K 44
Meet Alexa Johnson. she's an orphan girl who had hoped, found and got love. She had everything she hoped for. The perfect life, perfect house, perfec...
170K 6.6K 64
"You don't have to keep reminding me that I'm a mistake and that I ruined your life. I'm not sorry for meeting you that day. I needed to. My life was...