PARADOX

Af Goodreadsbygab

At 17 years old Amina faced a tragedy that changed the outlook of her life forever, or maybe so what she thou... Mere

 Prologue
PDX1
PDX2
PDX3
PDX4
PDX5
PDX6
PDX7
PDX8
PDX9
PDX10
PDX11
PDX12
PDX13
PDX14
PDX15
PDX16
PDX17
PDX18
PDX19
PDX20
PDX21
PDX22
PDX23
PDX24
PDX25
PDX26
PDX27
PDX28
PDX29
PDX30
PDX31
PDX32
PDX33
PDX34
PDX35
PDX36
PDX37
PDX38
PDX39
PDX40
PDX41
PDX42
PDX43
PDX44
PDX45
PDX46
PDX47
PDX48
PDX49
PDX50
PDX51
PDX52

PDX53

9.2K 651 401
Af Goodreadsbygab

December 20th 2023
Manhattan, New York
1:45 pm

"Where you off to?" The taxi driver questioned as Amina hopped in the backseat. "Harlem." She answered before shutting the door and fastening her seatbelt. The mention of Harlem put her mind on Rashad, a faint smile took over her lips while she slightly grew emotional.

"Sorry—I didn't make it clear, I'm going to 109th street." Amina announced, snapping herself out of her thoughts. As frequently as she visited Harlem, she still forgot to be precise with her directions when catching cabs and taxis. "You not from here, huh?" The driver questioned with a light chuckle, causing Amina to do the same.

"Not originally—I visit enough to at least consider myself a resident." Amina replied, focusing her attention out the window. Noticing that they were stuck in traffic. New York was always busy, but 4 days until Christmas made things even more hectic. Once she realized she had a good view of a mix of the Rockefeller tree, she quickly grabbed her phone to take a picture. Something about the setting made her feel warm and cozy, literally. Her Moncler coat plus the heat that the driver had on weren't a good mix.

Amina zipped her coat down, and removed her arms from the sleeves one by one revealing her velour juicy couture tracksuit jacket. She placed her coat next to her and continued to daze out the window. Memories of her Christmas that she spent with Rashad came to mind. Looking back at how unknowing she was about how things would turn out between them made her chuckle. She reflected on their New York trip, and how it pretty much was a crossing road to their relationship. That period of time would always have a special place in her heart.

Every time it crossed her mind, she found her eyes to start watering and a smile to stretch against her face. Amina's sentiments remained—she loved Rashad, dearly. And she was thankful for the love that they shared during that time. At that time, Amina didn't see herself becoming one with anything that happened, so to be in a completely different space now was surreal to her.

Amina looked down at the ring on her finger and began to lightly toy with it, although the memories attached with the ring were horrid, she couldn't bring herself to take it off. Amina attempted to look at it as a remembrance of Rashad and the Genesis of their love. The ring was now apart of her everyday jewelry, along with the bracelet and necklace he got her. The four articles of jewelry were a part of her forever, much like Rashad.

"You got any specific items you looking forward to seeing under the tree?" The driver questioned while slightly looking in the mirror to get a glimpse of Amina. "Not really, I'm already...thankful...for everything." She replied, keeping her eyes locked on the window. She could never get enough of New York, every time she came, it still felt like her first time.

"Yeah...I understand that, but it's still no material item that you're anticipating?" He questioned, Amina shrugged as she started to think about it. "Nothing comes to mind...what about you?" Amina questioned back, curious to hear his answer. She watched as a smile stretched across his face, which instinctively made her smile as well.

"I'm happy to spend time with my wife and kids, but I'm definitely looking forward to my new golf clubs." The driver replied, Amina lightly snickered at his excitement, it was cute. She was still fond of hearing  people talk about things that made them happy. "You golf?" Amina questioned, though the answer was obvious, it felt like the only question that could keep the conversation moving.

"Yeah—down at a country club in Manhattan Woods." He replied, Amina nodded her head. The mention of golfing and country clubs put her mind back on Rashad. Their day at the country club was a bit emotional for Amina, but she still loved the memory. That day was also a very pivotal moment in their relationship. "Well, I hope the next time you go back to the country club, you'll have your new clubs." Amina spoke.

"That won't be for a while with all the snow we been having." He replied. Currently, there wasn't any snow falling, but the remnants of the snow storm from a couple days ago decorated the city, reminding Amina of a snow globe. "Gives you some time to admire your clubs, before putting them to use." Amina lightly chuckled, causing the driver to do the same. After their prattle, the ride fell silent, which didn't bother Amina at all.

Soon, the ride came to an end. Amina said her goodbyes to the driver before slipping out of the car. A smile stretched across her face as she stood in front of her hair salon, taking it all in. Every time her feet were planted in front of the salon and she read the sign at the top, she couldn't believe it. Adaya's had been open for 2 months now and was flourishing beyond what Amina imagined. Her foot steps tracked to the door, she swung open the golden A shaped door handle before stepping inside, allowing the soles of her shoes to touch the marble floors. Instantly, she was greeted by her staff and the clients in their chairs.

Just as planned, Amina had the best stylists in the city working in the shop. All specializing in different hairstyles. Wigs, sew ins, micro links, natural hair, silk presses and everything else you could think of. Amina took a step back from doing hair, to properly manage her business. She'd pop in every now and again for her loyal clients, but her days were no longer consumed with styling hair for hours. With the help of Ro and his family, she was able to source a raw Indian hair vendor, straight from India. In the hair salon was an area that doubled as a store, so the clients could purchase extensions.

After making her rounds around the shop, making sure everything was in order, she slipped into her office. In the midst of logging into her website provider, her phone began to ring, sending a vibration through the pocket of her jacket. Amina briefly eyed the caller ID before answering the call, "Hey." She greeted Chalyn. "Hey, did you land yet?" Chalyn questioned.

"Yeah, I made it to the salon and everything." Amina replied as she put the phone on speaker and sat it close enough for Chalyn to still hear her. "I gotta tell you something, Mimi." Chalyn announced, instantly captivating Amina's attention. Her voice was shaky, indicating that she was nervous about whatever was about to come out of her mouth.

"You know how I went to that Christmas party at Blue's last night?" Chalyn questioned, Amina nodded her head yes. "Yeah." She replied, feeling edged with all the theatrics her friend was putting on.

"Ro came too...we drank, one thing led to another and we had sex." Chalyn announced. Amina dramatically choked on her saliva, causing Chalyn to playfully kiss her teeth before chuckling. "Amina." She sternly spoke.

"Bitch, I thought you ain't like him." Amina teased as she grabbed the phone. Funny enough, while her friend was distraught, Amina couldn't help but to smile so hard that her umber cheeks were probably rosy. "Bitch, I don't—I told you one thing lead to another." Chalyn replied before letting out a long sigh.

"I don't know what this means for our friendship group. I don't want things to be awkward between everybody." Chalyn stressed. Meanwhile, Amina was still stuck on what Chalyn announced to her. She was surprised, because she didn't detect any sexual tension between the two. She had to admit, this would definitely put a dent in the friend group, especially with Chalyn not wanting a relationship right now. While speaking to Chalyn, Amina grew eager to hear Ro's side of things.

"Well...was it good?" Amina raised her eyebrow, causing both girls to laugh. "It was, and that's a big ass problem," Chalyn answered before blowing breath from her nose.

"Damn Cha." Amina lightly chuckled. She grabbed her pen and began to mark in her calendar. "Have y'all talked since?" Amina questioned.

"No..I honestly don't know what to say—I don't want a relationship or nothing, but I might have to spend the block again, cause...damn." Chalyn voiced. Truthfully, Amina didn't know what advice to give to her friend. The event wasn't on her bingo card, it honestly felt like a fever dream. "Y'all gotta talk eventually." Is all Amina could manage to say.

"No we don't—we just won't be friends with him anymore." Chalyn spoke, causing Amina to laugh. "Cha, bitch you was grown enough to take that dick, y'all grown enough to have a conversation. Just tell him everything you told me." Amina spoke.

"I mean...we were drunk, so maybe he feels the same way." Chalyn spoke, the sound of her cracking her knuckles let Amina know that she was nervous—Chalyn always cracked her knuckles when she was nervous or frustrated.

"Oh, and if he calls you, can you act like you don't know? The dick was good, but I don't need him feeling himself." Chalyn requested, Amina let out a small chuckle. "I got you." She replied. Amina loved Ro, but Chalyn was still her friend first. She prayed this situation didn't get messy, knowing she'd be stuck in the middle.

A knock on the door sounded, instinctively making Amina's head snap in that direction. "Come in." She called out, watching the door slowly move open after she granted entry. In the door frame stood Kennedy, wearing a smile on her face as always. A sweet young girl that Amina hired as the receptionist.

"You have an appointment for you at the front." She announced, causing Amina to furrow her eyebrows together. "Who? I didn't personally schedule anything." She replied as she stood up.

"They didn't leave me a name...but they said only you can do their hair." Kennedy replied. Amina grabbed her phone, "Let me call you back real quick, Cha."

"Alright." Chalyn replied before ending the call. Amina stuck her phone into her back pocket before leaving her office. She walked through the long hallway and back onto the main floor. A smile stretched across her mahogany face once she laid eyes on who requested her. "My appointment wasn't in the system? That's mad unprofessional, Miss." Rashad joked, causing Amina to chuckle as he pulled her into hug. He pressed his full lips into her arms before grabbing a good chunk of her ass.

"How was your flight, mama?" He questioned as they walked back to her office. "Good—I slept the whole time." Amina answered, holding his hand while guiding him down the hall. By the grace of God, he pulled through a week after the doctors made word of announcing him as brain dead. Completely shocking everyone but Amina, she now completely understood what her grandmother meant by having faith the size of a mustard seed. Rashad was a waking miracle, being that he woke up from his coma needing little to no therapy of any sort. His only complaint was the often pain he'd feel from the bullet still being in his back.

"Why you wearing this old ring? You know I can't stand it, I ain't even get to put it on your finger." Rashad fussed, taking a peek of her hand. "Cause it mean something to me." Amina replied, mimicking NewNew from the movie from ATL. Scoring a small chuckle from Rashad.

"Yeah, that's cute and all—but you got better ones, ones that I was able to put on your finger." Rashad spoke. Amina closed the door behind them and turned to look at him. Still getting the spark that she did early into their relationship. "I need Mrs. Leblanc in her official rings." Rashad added, grabbing her hand and giving it a kiss.

"Yes sir." Amina replied walking over to her purse, pulling out a travel size jewelry case. She pulled out her wedding rings and slipped them on her ring finger. "That's more like it." Rashad nodded his head with a giddy smile on his face.

"I got some questions for you now." Amina announced, "What you got to ask me, mama?" Rashad questioned, Amina stepped back and eyed him.

"Why you ain't got no coat on? Cold as it is, and that bullet still in your back." Amina drilled, Rashad threw his hands up in surrender. "You right. I can't get sick and risk getting you and my baby sick." He replied as he reached for Amina's stomach, giving it a gentle rub with both of his large hands. Putting a smile on Amina's face. She was currently 15 weeks pregnant with a baby boy.

"Exactly." Amina spoke as she watched him rub her belly, this moment was a reminder of how quickly her life pieced back together after she felt like it fell apart. "Guess what, Suge?" Amina quizzed as she slipped away, so she could sit down.

"What?" Rashad questioned, sitting on the black suede sofa that was in front of her desk. "Ro and Chalyn was at the Christmas party—at Blue's, and apparently they got drunk and ended up fuckin." Amina gossiped.

Rashad stroked his goatee, "Word?" He questioned, causing Amina to nod her head yes. "Yeah...I ain't surprised." He announced, slightly confusing Amina. Wondering if she was the only one blinded by the friend title that they had.

"Why, babe?" She questioned, eager to know. "Cause, I always picked up on the vibe that they would've taken the chance once presented." Rashad explained, Amina lightly chuckled. It wasn't far fetched to hear Rashad's stand point, he didn't talk much which meant he was a natural observer and he tended to notice things that most people didn't.

"But look, mama—I really do need an appointment." Rashad broadcasted, changing the subject. "A retwist?" Amina questioned as she powered on her shipping label printer.

"Nah, I wanna cut it all off." He announced, stopping Amina in her tracks. She turned to him with her eyes widened and a grin on her face. "Really?" She doubted.

"Yeah, you know hair hold memories—and I'm on some new shit now." Rashad explained. Amina could understand how he gathered that. He was no longer in the streets, instead he was now devoting 100% of his time to business, both Blue's and the salon. It was an honor to watch Rashad fall in love with business, every aspect of it. Even with Adaya's being 2 months old, he was already mentioning plans of their next venture.

"You sure—how you gon' wear it?" Amina questioned as she toyed with the ends of his hair. Rashad shrugged his shoulders, "I guess regular." He answered, causing Amina to let out a small chuckle.

"Are you sure, babe?" Amina questioned again. She knew the connection that he had with his hair, and how long it took to get his desired length. He even shared his hopes of growing it to his knees with Amina. Rashad nodded his head yes, "I'm sure—it feel like another step toward my new life." Rashad replied. Amina enthusiastically blew her breath before grabbing the hair scissors.

"I'm nervous." Amina announced as she let out a small chuckle. "Man, come on." Rashad replied, sharing the same chuckle. Amina pursed her lips together as she snipped off the first loc, her eyes immediately darted to Rashad's face so she could see his reaction, which was unphased. This gave her even more confirmation, so she continued with snipping off the locs one by one. Momentarily, the locs adorned the floor. Rashad looked down and lightly chuckled before looking in the mirror at himself.

"You wanna save 'em as a keepsake?" Amina questioned. "I'm good, you don't keep dead weight." Rashad replied, causing Amina to lightly smile.

December 21st 2023
Brooklyn, New York
9:35 am

Amina indulged in her breakfast that Rashad picked up from a deli, as she filled out her paperwork given to her by the OB office. With the constant back and forth from Dallas to Harlem, Amina made the choice to have an OB office that she went to while in New York as well. She took one more bite of her bacon, egg, and cheese before skimming the paperwork sheet to make sure she didn't miss anything. She handed the clipboard to Rashad, so he could give it to the receptionist.

Meanwhile, Amina poked her straw into her iced matcha latte from Starbucks. She took a long sip as she watched Rashad walk back over to her. "It seem like everything taste better in New York." Amina announced, causing Rashad to lightly chuckle.

"It really do though." He agreed before taking a bite of his breakfast sandwich. Now that Amina's sandwich was done, she focused on her latte. Taking sips as she watched the live local news that played on the TV. A light gasp escaped Amina's mouth as she read the headline, causing Rashad to look over at her.

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows together in a concerned manner, "They're saying it's gonna snow...we might not make it back to Dallas for Christmas." Amina stressed.

"Relax, mama. If we do, we do. If we don't, we don't." Rashad replied, Amina let out a low sigh before taking another sip of her drink. "I keep telling you, it ain't about the gifts. Long as we together, that's Christmas." He added. Amina looked over at him and smiled.

"Amina Leblanc!" The nurse called out as she eyed the clipboard. The duo gathered their things before following her to the back, where Amina got her vitals taken. First order of business was collecting Amina's weight, she stepped on the scale and eyed the numbers as they increased. Once the scale stopped, Amina's mouth dropped.

"What if I have a ten pound baby?" Amina lightly chuckled as she stepped off the scale, "I was eight." Rashad replied, sending a slight fear through Amina's body, especially since she wanted to go the natural route.

"Baby is projected to be no less than eight pounds." The nurse announced, Amina's eyes slightly widened as she chuckled. Once her vitals were recorded, they stepped into the room and waited for their appointment to start.

"I can't play with my creation, give the world to my lil boy." Rashad randomly rapped aloud as he rested his hand on Amina's stomach. It was funny to Amina how her plan manifested before her eyes. Now that she was a mother, she was hands off from hair, just how she wanted to be. "And that lady better not come in here with that no recording bullshit." Rashad fussed.

"I know...I hate that, but I heard they only do it to save themselves. Like, in the case that something's wrong and we just so happen to have it recorded, but they don't catch it, we'll be able to sue." Amina explained, who said TikTok wasn't educational? "Shit dumb—that's literally my kid on the screen." Rashad spoke, causing Amina to chuckle. Soon, the ultrasound tech entered the room, greeting both Amina and Rashad.

They made small talk as Amina rolled up her sweater, allowing the tech to rub the clear jelly on her stomach. "Can you get the lights for me, dad?" The tech questioned, Rashad nodded his head yes. "Got you." He replied as he strolled over to the light switch and flipped the lights off. Amina held a smile on her face as she watched the monitor, grateful to be able to experience this again.

"Look at him sucking his thumb." Amina spoke in awe as tears edged her water line. As of now, she felt like baby boy was the perfect mix of both her and Rashad, with certain features of each parent. "Are we able to get physical copies of the ultrasound today?" Rashad questioned.

"Yes, two copies, to be exact." The nurse answered as she began to clean off the wand. "Everything looks healthy—growth, weight, and size. Baby is sucking his thumb too, which is a good sign at this stage." The nurse explained, which was music to Amina'a ears. As long as her son was good, she was too.

December 23rd 2023
Queens, New York
12:25 pm

Amina sighed as she watched the snowfall from the window of their hotel room, she closed the curtain before joining a fully dressed Rashad on the bed. The plans they had to go to the airport, were quickly imploded by the heavy snow storm, which also canceled their flight back home. Amina removed her Prada coat before tossing it to the other side of the bed. "Christmas is ruined!" She jokingly fussed in a kid like voice, causing Rashad to laugh.

"Yo—shut the fuck up." His laugh continued as he wrapped his arms around Amina as she laid on him. "We'll just open the gifts and shit when we make it back home." Rashad added. Amina wasn't too upset about it, besides, being in New York right now reminded her a lot of the Christmas they spent together last year.

"Next Christmas, we'll have our baby." Amina announced as she began to smile at the thought. "And another one on the way." Rashad chimed in, causing Amina to look up at him with a serious look on her face. She then broke the grimace to laugh.

"Pregnant back to back is crazy—that's gone be two years without me being able to see my coochie when I look down." Amina spoke. She wasn't sure of the timeline, but she knew she wanted another baby after her son. Growing up as an only child made her very sure that she didn't want the same for her child. Although she was young when the passing of her mother transpired, there was no one who fully understood her like a sibling would've.

"I'll look at it for you—you good." Rashad replied, making them both laugh. Amina toyed with the gold bracelet on his wrist, on the hand that was rested across her chest. "I got you something." Rashad announced. Amina slowly sat up and faced him, she watched as he got off the hotel bed and walked over to his Goyard duffle bag. From the bag, he pulled out a small matte blue shopping bag and handed it to Amina.

"I had a feeling it was gonna snow, so I brought this one gift with me." Rashad voiced as he watched Amina untie the ribbon. She kissed her teeth as she looked up at him, "Why didn't you tell me, so I could do the same?" Amina questioned. Rashad kissed his teeth as he waved her off.

"Cause I know how much this Christmas shit mean to you." Rashad replied. Amina opened the jewelry box to see a simple Gold chain with no pendant, resulting in her look up at Rashad with a confused look on her face. "I got a proposition for you." He voiced, Amina nodded her head, giving him the green light to share.

"I know how much you love the first ring set I bought you and the sentimental value it has to you—so I bought a chain, so you can wear 'em on your neck." Rashad explained.

"Aww—that's so sweet, Suge." Amina cooed as she pulled Rashad into a hug. "I love it." She assured before kissing his lips and returning back to the hug. Rashad slipped the old rings off of her finger and placed them on the 24k gold chain, he then motioned for Amina to turn around so he could attach the necklace to her neck. Once it was latched, Amina felt for the rings.

"And you got on the Pelle Pelle I got you last Christmas." Amina pointed out, Rashad smiled as he pulled each side of the jacket. "It's a tradition now." He replied, Amina leaned in and kissed his lips before lazily falling into his arms.

"I love you so much." Amina truthfully spoke, grateful that he was still here with her. When there was a time that it was up in the air if he would be alive or not. "I love you more." Rashad spoke in her ear as he grabbed a handful of her ass.

"Boogie boy!" Rashad exclaimed, referring to their son as he kissed Amina's belly.

August 1st 2024
Dallas, Texas
8:50 am

Amina let out slow deep breaths as yet another contraction pain roamed her body, although she was starting to second guess this whole natural thing her doula ensured her that she was doing fine. As the pain increased, so did her doubts. "How many centimeters is she?" Rashad questioned as he sat the camera down.

The doula left from Amina's side and traveled to her front, the way her eyes widened, told Amina that it was finally time and there was no turning back. "10–it's time to push." She announced. As scared as Amina was, she knew she had no other option but to push.

"Help me up." Amina demanded of Rashad, reaching for his hand. "I don't wanna give birth sitting down." She explained. Without any fuss or fret, Rashad helped her up into a standing position, where she then slightly bent over. "It's time to push, Mrs. Leblanc." The doula reported, and that's exactly what Amina did. With Rashad by her side, holding her hand and talking her through it. Amina pushed with all her strength, taking short pauses in between to catch her breath.

"Damn." Amina fussed as in the influx of pain took over her lower half, tears rolled down both sides of her face as a result of the distress. "Keep pushing for me Mama." Rashad encouraged while rubbing Amina's back.

"It hurt." Amina called out, feeling like she couldn't do it anymore. Without the drugs, she felt every bit of pain as she pushed. With the fear of pain and ripping her vagina—she was stressed. "I know baby, but it's worth it." Rashad spoke in sorrow in his voice, as if he would switch roles with his wife if possible. Amina continued to push harder and harder until she felt a relieve of pressure. She blocked out everything in that moment until she the beautiful sound, that was her baby's loud cries. Amina let out a big sigh of relief as she started to chuckle, proud that she just birthed her child naturally. Bronx Leo Leblanc was born, compensating for all the tribulations she faced in the process.

As Amina held her son in her arms, she silently pleaded for God to keep her alive so she could continuously watch him grow and flourish with age. Amina cried and cried tears of immense joy. Rashad kissed her forehead, which made her look up, noticing that he was crying as well. A year ago, Amina feared that she would never experience any of this, and here she was—living it in the flesh, all thanks to her walking paradox.

That's all folks! I wanna thank everybody who bared with me through the duration of this story. I greatly appreciate all of you.

I have a new story out titled "Salubrious." Tell me if you like it! <3

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

43 1 8
A young girl goes through her life not knowing her father. But on her sixteenth birthday she finds out something that will change her life forever.
Aara! Af ASHWINDER

Teenage Fiktion

444 105 20
In a few moments, a teenage girl's life changes but not everything goes correctly.
490 83 52
I never thought it would end like this. I always thought I had a home. I always thought I had a family, but as it turns out, my past is darker than t...
571 42 31
Sometimes, life can surprise you. Even if it takes longer than you thought. For Ayesha, life was a series of calculations and logical choices. She ha...