The Everchanging Sight (HIATU...

Por Frex_Devolio

47% complete. I do not own Life Is Strange or characters presented in this story. Más

Getting Foresight
The Blind Spot
When You Play With Time, There is Always a Price
Shared Similarities
Giving a Proof
Fricking Disturbing
Can't Sleep?

Gravitated Towards Trouble

355 22 1
Por Frex_Devolio

- (Y/n) P.O.V. -

We were riding in the truck for couple of minutes now. There was no tention between the girls, but I could tell Max was uncomfortable with the silence, tapping her foot, shifting in her seat from time to time and frantically looking at the trees outside, so I decided to mix it up a bit with a simple dialoge.

Me: "So, Max, I felt you used your powers in the morning. Mind telling me why?" - the sudden question made Max turn to me, studying my face for a second before responding.

Max: "Well, I just spilled soda on Kate's book, no big deal." - she responded, making Chloe chuckle.

Chloe: "Same old clumsy Max. Wanna hear a story from an amusement park, (Y/n)?" - she said, making Max go into defencive mode.

Max: "Hey! We promised not to talk about it!"

Chloe just chuckled more, getting ready to tell the story.

Chloe: "So, my ninth birthday. Mom and dad took us to the amusement park, and I have to say..." 

Max: "Chloe, please..." - pleaded Max, sensing her self-respect fading in memories of her older self, but Chloe continued undeterred.

Chloe: "...that was one hella of an amusement park, almost every attraction was worth riding. And I wasn't the only one thinking that: the whole place was loaded with people, you can't throw a shoe without hitting someone there." - she said, making Max groan slightly and hide her face in her knees, trying to hide behind her hands, while I just looked at Chloe, listening and slitly tilting my head.

Why a "shoe"?

Chloe: "Me and Max were fairly excited, so we ran ahead of my parents and the first thing this goofball had done is trip on air and knock a line out of five people to the ground. Not something you see everyday, but I got used to it by that point, even though her yelp was hillarious. Few minutes after, we ride the rollercoaster, screaming, raising our hands up, the whole package, that is until certain someone gets hit with her own shoe in the face." - Chloe laughed, slapping the wheel with her left hand, while Max tried to shift further from me and closer to the window.

That's why "shoe", I get it now...

Chloe: "Well, that's not all, the shoe succesfully went into the crowd while we were riding and I think Max got scared for her shoe more than during any of the rides there. Naturally, we went to get it after the ride ended. The moment Cinderella gets her shoe, she remembers a bag with goodies she left in the trolley, which to our luck was alredy on the move. The next thing I remember is me laughing my ass off while Max stands pouting with a cupcake splashed on her head."

Chloe was now laughing, emersed in a memory, while when I looked at Max, I could see her red ears. I couldn't contain my smirk, but still wanted to comfort Max to some extent at least, so I placed a hand on her head.

Me: "Come on, Max, we all get our fair share of embarrassing stories from our past." - I patted her on the head with intention of providing comfort.

Chloe: "Why don't you share yours, then?" - she said, slightly nudging me with her elbow, slight smile playing on her lips.

Me: "I don't think I remember any, actually." - Max gave me a blank stare, poking her head out of her hands.

Max: "Oh, yeah, you ''magically'' don't remember." - she said, her voice full of sarcasm.

Me: "It's really hard to embarrass yourself when you see the future, you know?" - I answered nonchalantly.

Chloe: "What about your life before the power?"

Me: "All before fourteen is a blurr for me. Happens when you try to learn about quantum physics in the age of fifteen, forcefully getting as much info on it as you can to explain ability to see through time." - I said, turning my head to the road and getting a little lower in my seat, crossing my arms.

Max: "Did you get any answers?" - she placed her legs down and went into a natural sitting position.

Me: "Only on the level of a concept. Turns out we know barely anything about quantum physics."

Chloe: "Sounds about right. Not like all this shit can fit in someone's head."

...

Me: "How's Kate doing?" - I asked, feeling the silence filling the car again.

Max: "She's really down, can't imagine what she goes through now. That video literally ruins her whole life." - she replied siletnly, looking out of the window, barely above whisper, but still hearable for me and Chloe. After that, I heard a silent mutter that I can barely make out of all noise in the truck.

Chloe: "Oh, now you fucking see your friends having their life ruined." - she muttered, her hands gripping the wheel slightly stronger and shifting her gaze slightly to the left. I placed a hand on her shoulder, making her sigh deeply, relaxing her posture and look solemnly at the road.

Chloe: "Yeah, I remember what you told me. This just still buggs me a bit." - she said, just as silently as her previous little outburst.

Me: "Chloe, I get that moving on from the Max situation is tough. But I don't judge you for it. What matters to me is that you try." - I replied, maintaining the silence and removing my hand from her shoulder. I could see Chloe's face slightly softeing, while she playfully rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

We then continued riding in the silence, just looking at the road, until we reach the dump in few minutes. A grand pile of trash that repulses most people, making it a rare choice of place to hang out amongst them. A broken school bus, broken cars, broken boats, old "Two whales" sign, not mentioning a lot of syringes, trash, bottles, wood boards, tires, and so much more.

Chloe opened the door, taking a bottle of beer from it and opening it using edge of the door, and walked out of the truck, starting to walk towards the dump, eagerly quickening her steps, while Max slowly made her way out of the car, freeing for me a way to move out as well. Now me and Max had to run after Chloe to keep up.

Me: "Wait up!" - I shouted, when me and Max crossed the gates to the dump, making Chloe slow down.

Chloe: "You'll have to keep up!" - she said, turning her head in our direction slightly, showing her smirk, still running.

Max: "Are you going to make everything a race?" - Max said, being slithly out of breath. Chloe turned around, playful smirk on her lips.

Chloe: "Hurry up, slowpokes!"

Chloe then stopped, taking in the whole scenery around her, a content sigh escaping her mouth, arms thrown to the sides.

Chloe: "Welcome to American Rust, my home away from hell." - she said, theaterically turning around to face us.

Max: "Raw and rough... it suits you." - Max said, looking around the dump, taking in all the broken machines there were. Chloe gets close to Max, her face beaming with a childish smile, barely not lunging at Max.

Chloe: "Max, you know how awesome this is? I get my best friend back and she's also supersized? Not mentioning another superpowered friend we made." - at the word "friend" my gaze averted, teeth clenched in attempt not to say anything about it.

Okay, (Y/n), at least try to be considerate once in your life and not be a buzzkill.

Max: "Can we really play with our powers?" - Max said, sheepishly looking at me and Chloe, her hands crossing once again.

Me: "Come on, Max, we had this talk. The power is ours, so we can use it as we please." - I reminded her soflty.

Chloe: "Yeah, Max, let's let loose!" - she said, energy beaming from her.

Max: "But what if my power won't last?"

Chloe: "All more reasons to have fun right now!" - she said, spreading her hands and turning around, starting to walk further, while Max turned to me.

Max: "You sure we should play with it?" - she leaned a little forward, her brows furrowed in worry.

Me: "Max, there's no meaning behind those powers. I would have found it if there was. The powers just are. We aren't Messiahs, we don't have to save people with it, we weren't chosen by god or any other shit you might have got from Kate's book. It's your choice how to use your power, taking both your wishes and consequences into account."

Max: "But didn't you say we could be gods? Isn't it right that we can help a lot of people with our powers?"

Me: "Yes, but does it take powers to help someone?" - the answer to that was only a stare from Max, filled with silent answer - "See, all I meant is that we have possibilities that go further of what human can ever do. Now I am saying that we choose what we do with it. Will you really just leave Chloe hanging now after whole five years of ignoring for some "greater cause"?" - I raised a brow at her.

Max shifted slightly under my gaze, looking at the ground, her hand gripping her elbow.

Max: "No, of course not. I'd hate doing it." - she said, barely above whisper.

Me: "Then why won't we go and spend some time with her?" - I bended slightly to her level, seeing how she unclenched her shoulders and lifted her face, meeting my gaze with her blue eyes studying me.

Max: "I guess you are right, let's go." - she said, a smile forming on her lips, certain and determined steps being taken towards Chloe. I closely follow behind Max, seeing how Chloe has almost finished a bottle of beer, slouched on a hood of a car.

Chloe: "Here I thought you two were gonna leave me alone here."

Me: "We'd hate doing it, now what's on your mind?" - I said quickly.

Chloe then reached her hand to the back of her pants, taking out a gun and pointing it at me.

Chloe: "Bang!" - she said, faking a gunshot, while Max, panicking, pulled the gun down, her eyes wide.

Max: "I thought you believe in gun control!" - she said, raising her voice slightly.

Chloe: "Only for..." - she then looked at me for a second, tensing her back and sitting straight, avoiding looking at me afterwards, speaking slightly quieter - "Well, guys like Prescott."

I, just standing there, unfazed, crossed my arms with a disapproving look on my face.

Me: "You know, I won't be able to lie a way out for you out of this one."

Chloe: "You won't need to! He won't even know I have his gun." 

Max sat down next to Chloe on the hood of the car.

Max: "Gosh, is being armed a norm in Acrcadia Bay now?" - she said, leaning back and supproting herself with arms behind her back.

Chloe: "Only for those who shouldn't be, like step-dildo, up until now." - Chloe was pointing the gun around, aiming at various things with one eye, making me tense up everytime gun's aim goes in my direction.

Fuck, I hope safety is on now. I know it won't shoot at me, but it's still scary.

Max: "I guess it's time for me to join the revolution. (Y/n)?" - she turned to me.

Me: "I'm already here. I'm not going back without seeing some action."

Chloe: "Great! Let's have some fun with your powers in a little test then!" - she then drank from her beer bottle, tilting it towards Max - "Drink?"

Max instantly leaned away from the poison, her brows furrowed and nose slightly shriveled up.

Max: "Yuck." - she said, making Chloe playfully roll her eyes.

Chloe: "Same old cute Max, you haven't changed a bit." - Chloe then turned to me, suggesting the drink.

Me: "Thanks, no thanks." - Chloe shot me an untrusting look when I said it.

Chloe: "So, smoking marijuana is a green light, but beer is where you draw the line?"

Me: "Marijuana doesn't give you a belly, it soothes your nerves and is seen as medicament in some cases. Any questions?"

Chloe: "No, Mr... How's your last name?" - she asked, breaking her act for a second, tilting her head in my direction, slightly squinting her eyes.

Me: "I go by "Jacobs" these days."

Chloe: "No, Mr. Jacobs."

Chloe kicks herself off the hood, drinking more beer.

Chloe: "So, how 'bout you two find five more bottles for us to shoot while I prep the shooting range?" - I raised a brow at what Chloe had just proposed.

Me: "Beer plus guns? Even blind would see how it ends up."

Chloe: "Don't be a wuss. Max can rewind, right?" - she said, turning to the girl.

Max: "Well, yeah, but..."

Chloe: "See? Nothing to be afraid of. Now, chop-chop!" - she said, pushing me in direction deeper into the dump, while Max stands up and goes behind me.

I started going forward on my own, shaking my head, even though a smile that didn't want to go away was there. I hear Max quicken up before she shows up on my left. She was looking straight at me, her face decorated with a grin that squints her eyes a bit.

Max: "Someone certainly enjoys their time despite being pushed around, literally."

Me: "Oh, shush, I'm allowed to enjoy it. Consider it a reward for dealing with your girls'..." - I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

Max: "Awesomeness?" - she said, finishing the phrase for me after my few seconds of trailing off.

Me: "...awesomeness." - I said, spotting a bottle on a fridge in our way. I started going towards it.

Max: "Was I the one to say it?"

Me: "You would've been." - I simply said before reaching out for the bottle.

I reached out for bottle and slightly touched it, making it spin and fall to its demise.

I reached out for the bottle and the moment it started falling, my hand was already there to catch it.

Max: "Sometimes I feel jealous of your power. You make it seem effortlessly effective and cool..." - we started going to our right, continuing our little trip.

Me: "The thing about my power is seeing things others can't. You don't see me fail over and over when I circle through many variations of future when the task is harder than taking a bottle."

Max: "It still doesn't happen."

Me: "Doesn't it? Are you saying that when you rewind, the reality you rewinded from still exists, the reality where you had messed up, while my precognition operates within our own reality, breaking through time instead of space?"

Max: "Me... I... Sorry, I don't now how to answer that."

Me: "I wouldn't know as well. And I'm the one who studied this shit..." - Max chuckled at my remark.

We walked further a bit more, when Max noticed a broken washing machine.

Max: "Don't you wonder how many fashion generations went through this bad boy?"

Me: "I'm sure it saw everything from laundry chic to trash courture. I'm actually feeling pity for it now that I said it out loud."

We cointinued walking forward, until we saw a bottle, standing on a hood of one of the cars. Max instantly reached out for it.

Max: "Coming this Fall... Max and (Y/n), the BottleBusters!" - I chuckled at her antics. I moved forward, not letting the chance to give Max another headpat go.

Me: "Let's go, goofball."

We walked even further, when Max looked to our right, seeing something that made her stop for a moment. I looked back at her, seeing her solemnly look at her right.

Me: "You alright?" - I said, making Max snap out of it.

Max: "Yeah, let's continue."

We made our way to the deadend, a small clearing littered with garbage. I was turning around and leaving, when I saw my future vision a doe with an owl on its head coming through.

Max: "Hey, they look exactly like a doe and an owl from the tornado vision." - she pointed right at the animals I thought were just a pre-image of them.

I stopped in my tracks, trying to process what I'm seeing right now.

Me: "You see them?"

Max: "Well, I do. Is there something wrong with them?"

Me: "If you see them right here and now, then yeah," - I switched to whispering - "because my power didn't show them coming."

Max: "What? Are you sure?"

I just nodded, not saying anything. Seeing Max hopefully look at the animals go, reaching out for her camera, I deadpanned at her. When she noticed my stare, she looked down, smiling sheepsihly and holding her elbow.

Max: "Well, I don't get a chance to capture nature in its pristine beauty..." - she said, her voice barely above whisper.

Me: "I'm not stopping you, just make it quick."

Just as I told her to go ahead with the photo, smiling widely and hastly going behind the doe and the owl, dropping a photo out of her bag when she was getting her camera out. I walked up to the paper and took it, seeing photo I took of Max and Chloe dancing. I pocketed the photo.

I'll give it back later, or just place it in her bag when she doesn't look.

I had waited for a few seconds, before I saw Max walking back, looking in deep thought with her brows furrowed.

Me: "What happened?"

Max: "It's just... They aren't on the photo I took. I can't wrap my head around it..."

I just nonchalantly turned around and started walking away.

Me: "Don't think too much about it. We are here to collect bottles for now, not solve mysteries." - I continued walking, hearing a sigh behind my back and fast light steps coming closer.

We were walking a few more seconds, before we stumbled upon an abandoned shack out of cement bricks, bunch of building materials leaning on the walls of it, decorated with multpile inscriptions. I walked to the bonfire that is near it to take the bottle, avoiding being crushed by the trash and then  I turned around, not wanting to walk inside of the shack, but Max stopped me instantly.

Max: "Wait, there might be bottles in there."

Me: "If there were, they are most certainly are gone by now."

Max: "Doesn't hurt to check, come on." - she said, taking my hand and leading me inside, while I was trying to not snatch my hand away.

Gosh, here we go again...

When we walked in, Max instantly saw the bottle on the chair, right beside the pizza box.

Max: "Told ya." - she walked up to the chair, while I stayed at the doorway, tapping my foot and looking at the ground.

When she took the bottle, she started looking around, touching things and reading incsriptions on the walls, while I leaned on the doorway, waiting for her to finish. There's "Fuck you, yes you.", "Lalaland this way ->", "LA bitch", dead fishes, art of an elephant in oasis, but Max just had to walk towards "Rachel was here; Chloe was here" one. She took a marker out of her bag, starting to write.

Me: "What're you doing?" - I said, slowly getting impatient, letting her know I'm not very pleased with her wasting time.

Max: "Marking my place here. Me, Chloe and Rachel, we could be trio, we just need to find Rachel..." - she said while writing, after which she closed the marker and then turned to me - "...that could be a quarter if you joined in, you know..." - she hurled the marker towards me, which I caught - "...no pressure, though."

I saw myself just staring at my hand, but I don't know why.

I look at the marker and a memory flashed before me.

- Flashback -

I had been following my and Rachel's pre-images for about an hour now, curious as to what the hell happened after she will have made me ditch school for a day. 

The pre-images will become reality in a year or so, so knowing what will happen would be nice. This "Rachel" character seems to capture everyone's attention, even though it'll be only a first year of us studying, but out of all people, she'll hang out with me...

I was walking behind Rachel, my arms crossed and eyes slightly closed, from time to time stretching my arms, while Rachel was almost skipping, her face, like always, had a faint smile shining.

I caught myself staring at her while she walks. I quickly shook it off.

Gosh, she does have looks to be an actress from Hollywood...

I looked at my pre-image, who seemed to be annoyed with her leading him to the dump, answering to her smile whenever she turned around with his deadpan stare.

But I don't seem really interested in it. Good thing I won't be thinking with my dick when it comes to it.

Rachel: "Don't be so grumpy, (Y/n)! Smile's never hurt anybody, you know?"

I just rolled my eyes to it.

Me: "Say it to people who always have their lips dry."

Rachel turns to face me, the sunlight catching the vibrant colors of her hair.

Rachel: "Well, lucky for you, I always carry lip balm." - she pulled out a small tube from her pocket and playfully winked at me.

I couldn't help but chuckle at her response, letting infectious energy of a girl affect me, making a smile tug on my lips, bypassing my initial irritation.

Rachel: "Aw, I knew the quiet kid had it in him." - she said, tilting her head slightly.

Me: "Alright, maybe it won't hurt, but you still won't see me skipping through field of daisies any time soon." - that made Rachel laugh sincirely, slightly leaning forward and closing her mouth with her hand.

I looked at her with a slight smile still on my face while she laughed, me gaze shifting from tiredness to softness for a second.

Here you go, future me, she's not that bad, is she?

Rachel: "Maybe not yet, but I'll settle for every little step forward."

We walked into the abandoned shack, that has only a couch in it with a table and a dartboard. I instantly went to the couch to relax.

Me: "Not that I'm complaining, but are we really going to ditch school just to hang out here?"

Rachel: "No, of course, that's just a little restplace before the real adventure, because I see you need it." - she said, making her way to the couch and slowly sitting on it.

Me: "And whose fault is that? Maybe a certain someone, who met a boy in the forest for the first time ever and made him go to an all-night concert, so he looks like shit in the morning?"

Rachel: "You don't look that bad, don't be so hard on yourself."

Me: "Only because you applied makeup under my eyes, so nobody sees giant fucking bags there." - pointed right under my eyes.

Rachel: "Well, I couldn't let my partner in crime look like a complete wreck."

I rolled my eyes, sighing and sinking into the couch.

Me: "Alright, what type of crime are we commiting?"

Rachel just smiled and started twirling dartboard in her hands.

Rachel: "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Me: "I don't like people who try to leave me in the dark about concerning me actions..." - I coldly said, crossing my arms.

Rachel: "Well, how about I give you a chance to unravel that darkness?" - seeing me slightly interested, she continued - "We can play a game of darts. The winner gets to ask a question."

Me: "I can already see me winning, let's go." - I said, pushing myself off the couch.

After one perfect game of darts, astonished gazes from Rachel and one guilty display of humility from me, I finally asked where we are going to go. Getting an answer, I sighed, disquieting ride to Seattle on a freight train filling my thoughts. I turned to the doorway, ready to go out of this place.

Me: "Alright, let's go closer to the tracks or we might miss the train."

Rachel: "Wait a sec!" - she said and pulled out a marker out of nowhere, starting to write on the wall.

Me: "What are you doing?" - I said, my annoyance slipping into my voice.

Rachel: "Marking my place here." - she said, finishing her "Rachel was here" inscription.

Rachel then tossed the marker to me, smile playing on her lips.

Rachel: "Maybe you should do it too. People have to know who owns this place."

I rolled my eyes and stepped to the inscription. I wrote "(Y/n) have been here", adding a "will be" on top of "have been", just to give it a touch of individuality. Rachel was slightly confused at what I wrote.

Rachel: "Why "have been" and "will be"?"

Me: "I'm using accurate tense and say that I'll be here once more."

Rachel: "Oh, really?" - she said, shifting from a confused expression to a smile with hands behind her back.

Me: "Yeah, I can see it happening." - I said, asnwering with a small smile of my own, going out of the shack, while Rachel went behind me, starting yet another conversation.

Well, Rachel seems like a genuine and awesome girl, let's see what else she'll have in store for me...

- Flashback end -

Oh, that's why...

Me: "Nah, thanks, I don't do that." - I threw the marker back to Max.

Max sighed, catching the marker, but she just shrugged afterwards.

Max: "Your loss, let's go!" - she said, going out of the shack.

I followed Max out of the shack and we started going forwards and saw a giant boat.

Max went to the hill to get on the boat.

Me: "Really? You think there's a bottle?" - my voice was full of disappointment, while I looked absently at Max getting a plank as a makeshift bridge to get directly on the boat.

Max: "No harm in checking!" - Max's voice rang right after she jumped on board, staring to balance on it and slowly making her way forward.

After a few seconds of searching, I heard triumphant "Aha!" and saw Max holding a bottle up, looking at me with a smug face.

Max: "And yet again, Max's bottle sense is superior!" - she said in a tone of a narrator, making me chuckle and shake my head.

I, with a smile on my face, go towards the edge of the boat and pull myself up to get there, while Max patiently waits for me to finish. Amongst strange mechanical parts and garbage on the table and few chairs, I saw a bottle that Max would have found. I take it and jump over the edge, holding the bottle securely.

The bottle slipped out and broke on the bunch of rocks right near my spot of landing.

Me: "Sorry, didn't mean to..." - I said, rubbing the back of my neck and looking down slightly.

Max: "It's okay, I can just..." - Max raised her hand and the vision stopped.

The bottle slipped out of my grasp, but I wasn't trying to prevent it, knowing that it would be easier for Max if I behave exactly like in the future she rewinded from. Max quickly caught the bottle, while I landed safely on the ground.

Me: "Thanks. And sorry again."

Max: "It's okay, really. Now we need to bring all this to Chloe."

We walked back right to where we started from, where Chloe was already waving gun around, an empty bottle shining on an improvised shooting range. When she saw us coming towards her, she melted into a smile.

Chloe: "Finally! Come here!"

Me: "What do you, think we are doing?"

Chloe: "Well, I dunno, whining?"

I stopped right this instant, crossing my arms, while Max was still going towards Chloe, taking out bottles she had.

Me: "I guess you don't need the bottles." 

Chloe: "Okay, I'm sorry, don't be mad. Pretty please?" - she said, leaning to the side and placing hands on her chest.

Me: "Forgivness granted." - I started going forward once again.

Chloe: "Grant bottles, not forgivness."

I rolled my eyes and gave her oh-so-much-needed bottles.

Chloe placed bottles, one by one, on the improvised shooting range, consisting of a cupboard and few planks shakily placed against each other. Me and Max were waiting few meters away, while Chloe placed bottles carefully and watched so they don't fall. When everything seemed steady, she took a few steps back, taking the gun out.

Chloe: "So, here's the deal, we are going to crush every single bottle... without wasting a single bullet!" - she said, starting to aim at the bottles.

Me: "Out of all things you decided to enchance your accuracy..."

Chloe: "Shut up and tell me where to aim!"

I swear, this girl...

Me: "Just shoot."

Chloe's aim is shifted to the left, making the bullet skip past the bottle.

Me: "Slightly to the right."

Chloe: "Sir, yes sir!"

Chloe, listening to what I had to say, changed her aim and shot the bottle, hitting a bullseye. The moment she did, Max cheered slightly, congratulating her friend. Chloe, slight smile on her face, started aiming at the second bottle.

Chloe: "Max, did you see that shit?" - she exclaimed, proud of her aim.

Max: "Duh."

Me: "You are too happy about it."

Chloe: "Let the girl live her dream, (Y/n). Now onto the next bottle."

Chloe's aim this time shifts downwards, making her hit the shooting range instead of a place near bottles.

Is she kidding right now?

Me: "Do you even know how to aim?" - I asked, my voice giving out the fact that I'm slightly irritated.

Max: "What happened... I mean, what will happen?" - she asked, slightly furrowing her brows in worry.

Chloe just chuckled, showing me a cheeky grin.

Chloe: "I actually do now, was just checking if you'd tell me truth or not."

Me: "Okay, I'm not telling you future anymore."

Chloe just nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders, putting the pistol on safety. She then walked towards Max, who didn't really understand what is going on, until Chloe swiftly took her hand and placed the gun right into the hand of a petite girl.

Max: "W-wait, Chloe, I don't think..." - her voice was full of uncertaincy, but Chloe answered nonchalantly, while I just silently waited for Chloe to explain to Max what is going on.

Chloe: "Well, I can't really shoot when the future-telling machine isn't working, right? Where's fun in that? But you, my dear friend, are a future-telling machine yourself, so go ahead!" - Chloe then clapped Max on the shoulder, prompting her to shoot.

Max: "B-but how do I..?"

That's the moment I should interfere, becuase letting Chloe teach her is a recipe for disaster. A ricochet from a bumper into a stomach, to be exact.

I stepped forward, getting closer to Max and guiding her hand to properly hold the gun.

Me: "First of all, wrap you hand at the handle and support the weight with your other hand. Keep the fingers off the trigger before you shoot and don't put your thumb near the hammer, it's dangerous." - I made her hold her hands straight - "Keep you hands straight. When you'll be ready to fire, turn the safety off. It's this little thingy." - I showed her the safety - "Don't wave gun at people, even if the safety is on. It's just a precaution." - I shot a glare at Chloe.

Chloe: "Hey, nothing bad happened, plus you can dodge bullets with your power, can't you?"

Me: "Yes, I can."

Then, sheepish voice of Max reached me, hint of eagerness shining through.

Max: "Erm... How do I aim?"

I surpressed a chuckle and showed her the rear sight and the front sight.

Me: "Those are the rear sight and the front sight. You have to close one of your eyes and point the gun so that they line up and the rear sight will point aproximately where bullet will end up. When you'll be pulling the trigger, be ready to pull it really hard, triggers can be quitet tight."

Max: "Got it!" - she said with a smile of anticipation on her face. I took few steps back and joined Chloe in watching Max shoot fot the first time.

Max pointed the gun at the ground and turned the safety off, slowly raising it at the bottle. She was focusing on aiming the way I told her to, but her shaky hands made it hard to keep her aim on target.

Chloe: "Try taking a deep breath and holding it, hands will shake less."

Max complied and took a deep breath in, holding it, seeing her aim become less shaky and at some point Max got confident enough to shoot, but the bullet went few inches high. Max disappointedly sighed, ready to rewind few seconds back.

Me: "And aim few inches lower." - I added before going to Chloe on the sidelines.

Max: "Yes sir!" - she said, before starting all too familiar scene.

Chloe: "Try taking a deep breath and holding it, hands will shake less." - Max answered with a silent hum, taking a deep breath in and aiming few inches below the bottle. With a quick pull of the trigger, the bullet escaped the barrel, smashing the bottle, making Max yelp in delight.

Chloe comically wiped a tear of her face, her voice filled with mocking nostalgia.

Chloe: "They grow up so fast..."

Me: "Few more sessions and she'll be joining street shoot-off in no time."

Max: "Can I shoot one more?" - she asked, turning to Chloe with a childish smile.

Chloe: "How can I say "No" to such a cute face? Go ahead."

Max then shot the window of a car that is looming over the shooting range, not resulting in anything.

Chloe: "Well, that was pretty lame..." - she said, crossing her arms.

Max: "I thought it might be cooler if I changed the target..." - she sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck.

Me: "You can always try again, you know."

Max: "Yeah, I know." - she said, raising her hand.

Max raised the gun at the car again, getting a questioning look from Chloe. Max went through her aiming routine, eventually hitting the tire. Due to the tire being support point for the car on the bunch of junk it laid on, car started leaning to the bottles as air was flowing out of the tire, eventually falling over and destroying the whole shooting range. When car flipped, I jerked Max, who was just watching at her doing in awe, back by the collar of her shirt so she doesn't get squished.

Chloe: "Ubercool, Max." - she calmly said, starting a handshake with her best friend.

Chloe: "I cannot belive this is for reals, Max. My best friend is a superhero!" - she said, turning to the fallen car.

Me: "Hey! What about me?" - I said in a mock-hurt tone.

Chloe: "Don't worry, we still care about you, even though you fall into "anti-hero" category."

Me: "Oh, I'm touched." - I said, placing a hand on my chest.

Chloe: "You are welcome."

Me: "I didn't say in which places..." - my fake-hurt expression turned into a smug smile.

Chloe: "Oh, shut it, Sassmaster."

I felt a streak of blood building up in my nose and instantly snapped in Max's direction. I saw her hold her head and look down, reaching out for her nose.

Chloe: "Damn, (Y/n), your nose..." - she qiuetly said, concerned.

Me: "I feel fine, Max?" - I said, feeling my legs shake a bit.

Max: "I don't feel so good..." - she said and I saw her start loosing balance, so I quickly made my way to her, catching her by her right arm and helping her stand, barely keeping my own balance, while Chloe did the same on her left.

Chloe: "Max!" 

Max slowly stopped supporting herself altogether, while my hearing was slowly being replaced by the sounds of thunder. Vision started to become blurry and I couldn't stand straight, feeling consciousness slip away.

Chloe: "(Y/n)!" - it was the last thing I heard before it all became dark and cold.

- Timeskip - 

I stirred awake, getting rid of the filling that water was all around me.

It was a strange vision. Usually I don't feel like I'm drowning there... Gosh, it felt so real...

Chloe: "Ah, good morning, sweet prince."

I slowly came to realise that my head was currently on Chloe's arm, while Chloe herself was lying on a hood of a car, keeping Max's head on her lap. I straightened myself, getting my head of her arm, starting to rub my temples, getting rid of the sensations of the dream and strange warmth all around my chest.

Chloe: "Ah, finally, it was getting numb..." - she shook her hand a bit.

Me: "I take it you handled both of us passing out?"

Chloe: "Yeah... You feel fine?"

Me: "Well, yeah..."

Chloe: "Same "fine" like before you passed out?"

Me: "No. I do feel shaken a bit by the vision, but I'll handle it. Thanks."

At that moment, Max, who was peacefully on the lap of her friend, stirred awake as well. Chloe gently lifted the hand that she was holding Max with, keeping it close in case she'll need to catch her. I leaned forward to see both Chloe and Max, sitting at the edge of the hood and supporting myself by placing my elbows on my knees.

Chloe: "You feeling alright?" 

Max sat straight, her voice that of an exhausted woman, rather than an excited child I had heard prior to fainting.

Max: "Yeah, thanks, just give me a minute..."

Chloe: "Too much action for Arcadia?" - Chloe asked, trying to lighten up the mood.

Max: "Or not enough... That was unexpectadly fun. Stupid and scary, but fun."

Me: " "Stupid" and "scary" are basically synonims to the word "fun"..."

Max: "Gosh, you are talking like a teacher..."

Chloe: "Speaking of which, when did you become a shooting instructor, (Y/n)?" - she said, turning her attention to me.

Me: "Well... I..." - I collected my thoughts and took a deep breath - "I was taught how to shoot, and while the skill itself isn't used much, the teaching might forever stay in my head..."

Chloe gave me a wierd look before abruptly standing up, looking forward.

Chloe: "Well, I guess you two need a change of scenery. Are you locked 'n loaded?"

I just nodded, standing up, while Max timidly looked away.

Max: "I don't know, Chloe..."

Chloe: "Are you afraid of getting in trouble?" - Chloe looked at Max, who couldn't look back at Chloe, making her sigh.

Chloe: "Listen, if you don't want to do this, we turn around and I drive us back, but if we go, I'm gonna make sure to guide you properly, alright?" - Max, maintaining her timid posture, looked at Chloe and nodded, slght smile creeping up on her face, making Chloe reflect it with one of her own.

Chloe: "There you go, sista!" - she said and the two bumped fists.

???: "Just look at that, who do we have here!"

A sudden haorse voice from behind made me jump a bit, frantically turning around.

Gosh, I forgot to activate the vision...

When I turned around, precognition powers reactivated after my slumber, I saw a shabby man in his thirties with a beard and a shabby appearance, a dirty-haired blond who is slightly taller than me. As soon as I hurriedly turned around, he looked at me with a sligh smirk.

Man: "You're jumpy one, aren't you?"

Chloe instantly adressed the man, a hint of hostility in her voice.

Chloe: "Excuse us, Frank."

Frank: "Oh, sorry, Chloe, don't let me get in the way of your bonding session." - he stepped towards Chloe, but I was already there, coming slightly in front of her, ready to push him away if he tries anything funny.

Frank looked at me from head to toe, seemingly recognizing me.

Frank: "(L/n), am I right?"

Me: "I'm Jacobs three years already, your info kinda outdated." - I said, but Frank continued undeterred, while Chloe and Max attentively watched, tense and ready to jump in.

Frank: "You got his looks, kid, even the hair, but eyes, these are you mother's, aren't they?" - he said, pointing with his finger at my eyes, to which I slapped his hand away.

Frank: "Oh, yeah, how would you know..."

Me: "Elaborate..." - I said and he instantly smiled bitterly.

Frank: "Oh-ho-ho, I fucking missed this blind confidence of his. Never actually got to know if it was his confidence or lack of intelligence."

Chloe: "Get off of him, Frank, it's between me and you."

Frank looked at me and raised a brow.

Frank: "Gonna hide behind a girl? Not very gentelmen-like, is that what your old man taught you?"

Me: "Like berating a kid you met for the first time is gentelmen-like. Plus, as you see, I stand before them, face-to-face with you."

Frank bit inside of his cheek, turned away and nodded few times, taking a step back and turning his attention to Chloe.

Frank: "I heard the gunshots and the glass breaking... Gotta say, it's cute you three decided to play with guns, just like me in your age."

Chloe: "We're nothing alike, man." - Frank furrowed his brows and pointed a finger at Chloe, leaning slightly forward

Frank: "We both need money. In fact, you need it so bad that you owe me a shitload, don't you, Chloe?"

Chloe: "You'll get your money."

Frank: "Don't they all say that? Y'know, even when they're all broke and acting tough?" - he stepped slightly to the side so I don't stay in his way towards Chloe, but I mirrored his movement.

Max started shifting, trying not to show what's behind her back, but ironically it only raised suspicion in Frank, who raised his hand and pointed his outstretched hand towards Max, while Max was shifting away from the man.

Frank: "What're you hiding there, girlie? Lemme see!" - he wanted to go towards her, but I stepped in his way once again.

Now that I look closely, doesn't his bracelet look like...

Chloe: "Where did you get that bracelet?!" - she said, getting closer to us and starting to lose her patience.

Rachel's bracelet. Of all people she fucked, one of them just had to find us...

Frank: "A friend. None of your goddam business. You're my business now, and I..." - he said, taking a step back, but Chloe, enraged, came closer to him, walking in front of me.

Chloe: "It's Rachel's bracelet! Why the fuck are you wearing her bracelet!?" - she leaned closer, while I had to hold her back by her shoulder.

Frank: "Calm yourself, it was a gift." - he said, getting closer.

Chloe: "No, it wasn't, you fucking stole this shit! Give it back to me now, asshole!" - she said, getting out of my grasp and reaching out for the bracelet, but Frank got his knife out and threatened Chloe with it.

Frank: "You better take a step back, girlie, before you regret it. I mean it." 

I took Chloe by her shoulder and nonchalantly continued the dialoge.

Me: "Okay, we'll take a step back and you won't follow us, because you don't want to get hurt."

Despite Chloe's silent protest, I led her back a few steps back. Frank seemed angered by my own threat, so he started taking steps forward.

Big mistake...

Frank: "Listen, kid, who the fuck do you think..."

*BANG*

Frank flinched when a gunshot rang through our ears. Bullet was not in him, it was in the ground right before Frank. Frank turned to Max, who pointed gun at him, her hands sightly shaking, but her face displaying unyielding determination.

Max: "Step the fuck away from them." - she clearly, albeit shakily, enunciated every word, making it clear what will happen if he won't.

Frank just raised his hands in surrender, but his furrowed brows weren't gone.

Frank: "Look at yourself, girlie, you're shaking like a leaf, are you really able to shoot someone?"

I made my way to Max, taking the gun, still pointing it at the intruder.

Me: "She won't have to if I'm the one doing it. Now I'll repeat her request. Step the fuck away from Chloe."

Frank: "Alright, alright." - he said, taking few steps back - "But don't think your gun will save you next time I come for my money." - he walked off, but turned around and pointed at me, while I was still pointing a gun at him.

Frank: "Don't hang out too closely with Price, the story might ironically repeat itself..." - with that, leaving us three confused, he went away.

I, seeing the threat gone, checked the ammo in the gun. I sighed, seeing what is inside.

Empty... Thank god he bought the bluff...

Chloe: "Come here, you two..." - she said, and Max and Chloe walked to me, Chloe starting to wrap her hands around me and guiding Max into her chest, while leaning her head into mine. The warmth of two girls up close slowly but surely made me accept the hug and wrap my own hands around the two, even though I felt hella akward doing it.

Chloe: "Thanks for standing up to me. I... Thanks." - she said, still locking us in a hug.

After a few second, she broke the hug, bitter expression on her face, and turned around, starting to walk towards the rails.

Chloe: "Come on, the secret lair didn't feel secret today..." - she said tiredly, while I and Max shared a glance and walked behind her.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

7.4K 160 11
|COMPLETED| This is a story based off of Life is Strange: Before The Storm. I'm going in chronological order for the LIS series so bare with me. Chlo...
4.4K 216 30
After her father died, Clare Price fell into a deep hole, while her sister Chloe did the exact opposite. While Chloe chose the rebellious path of gri...
254K 7K 36
um i love this fucker?? i also wish he would've gotten some fuckin help brah. [Started: April 7, 2017] [Completed October 24, 2017]
273 21 3
🐇🧸 welcome to new journey ❤️❤️❤️ Junminjae ~ 🛑 [This book is made just for entertainment purpose only.nothing on this book is real....this book do...