Not That Interested

By ShutUpAndCoffee

My name is Mina Amin. Pakistani. Aged 23. Artist. Foodie. Cat freak. About to marry my best friend. Yep, the... More

Let Love Kill You.
Prologue:
Chapter 1:The one with the Wannabe Grandparents
Chapter 2: The one with the stapler eater.
Chapter 3: The One with the Free lunch
Chapter 4: The One with the Vampire
Chapter 5: The one where I can't speak
Chapter 6: The one with The crazy chicken.
Chapter 7: The one with all the flashbacks
Chapter 8: The One with all the Puppy Love.
Chapter 9: The One With Mama Bear
Chapter 10: The One With the Princess
Chapter 11: The One with The Swear Jar
Chapter 12: The One With The Samosas
Chapter 13: The One inside Shehzer's head
Chapter 14: The One with the Moonwalk
Chapter 15: The One With The Dragon Lady
Chapter 16: The One Where I lie.
Chapter 17: The One with the Cheesecake
Chapter 18: The One With Chris Hemsworth.
Chapter 19: The One With The Weirdest Proposal.
Chapter 20: The One With The Guitar
Chapter 21: The One With The Pearl
Chapter 22: The One Without A Car
Chapter 23: The One With The Ring
Chapter 24: The One With The Gift
Chapter 25: The One With A Double Wedding
Chapter 26: The One With The Red Lips
Chapter 27: The One With The Phone Call
Chapter 28: The One With The Missing Fiance
Chapter 29: The One without Denial
Chapter 30: The One With the Roof Painting
Chapter 31: The One With All the Goodbyes
Chapter 32: The One with Simba's Love Child
Chapter 33: The One With Annoying Females
Chapter 34: The One With The Raincheck
Chapter 35: The One With The Sword-Cake
Chapter 36: The One With The Flight Delay
Chapter 37: The One With The Tattoos
Chapter 38: The One At The Beach
Chapter 40: The One With Afridi And The Ring
Chapter 41: The One With The Unicorn
Chapter 42: The One With The Moon
Chapter 43: The One With The Parachute
Chapter 44: The One With The Big Reveal.
Chapter 45: The One With The Magic Markers
Chapter 46: The One With Old Timey Wedding
Chapter 47 The One With All The Pins
Chapter 48: The One With The New Faces
Chapter 49: The One With The Saree
Chapter 50: The One Where EMV Breaks Free
Chapter 51: The One With The Kiss
Chapter 52: The One With The Parasite
Chapter 53: The One With Oedipus
Chapter 54: The One With Cinnamon
Chapter 55: The One With The Happy Ending
Epilogue
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS & BONUS FEATURE
Got Questions?
Q&A Book
WATT JUST HAPPENED?

Chapter 39: The One With Batman

16.1K 1.2K 187
By ShutUpAndCoffee

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn that was fun.'"— Groucho Marx

I did it. I said yes.

It feels reckless, the fact that I have barely survived a bad relationship before jumping straight into another.

Was it a wise move? I don't know.

Am I happy about it? More than I should be...

It's inexplicable, but I have an innate calmness about my future with Shehzer. Maybe because he makes me feel things I have never felt before, or maybe because the differences between Areeb and Shehzer are reassuring.

Where Areeb is reckless, and adrenaline fueled, Shehzer remains cool, calm and collected. Areeb is like the ocean; ephemeral, treachorous, and unpredictable, Shehzer is like the rock that stands stubbornly against it, refusing to bow down.

Eye roll from EMV at my horrifyingly poetic turn of thoughts; 'Someone check on Sylvia Plath. She must be rolling in her grave.'

Once I said yes, it seemed like an invisible weight was lifted from my shoulders. I woke up in the middle of the night to pray for my future, and I found infinite comfort in simply leaving it all in God's hands. I mean, what can we ever hope to accomplish by needless worrying? What is meant to be, will be. After Areeb, I doubt anything will serve to shake my belief in fate, because nobody could have expected him to turn out the way he did.

Ma and Dad are beyond ecstatic. Ali is surprisingly un-surprised by this development, which makes me suspicious that he might have had something to do with the proposal. Adiba is already planning bridal showers and Nikah dresses for the two of us. We are still mapping out the whole schedule for this.

Shehzer still has a month of internship left in Lahore, and even though he wants to shift back to the original Karachi Hospital, he thinks it will be too unprofessional and childish to make the switch again. He had to leave early the next morning after the Valima, and I felt slightly depressed at his departure.

"Why the long face? It's only a month Minnie, and I'll visit every weekend. I promise." He grins at me, stuffing his backpack inside the Metro Cab.

I buried my face in Simba's fur, as I managed a sleepy snort.

"I'm not sad at your leaving. I'm not one of those typical Mashriqui (Eastern) clingy females, who pine away during their partner's absence..."

His grin widens as he advances towards me, "Oh yeah? Then what kind of female are you?"

My morning voice is raspy enough to pull it off; "I'm Batmaaan"

His eyes darken as they meet mine, "You're most definitely not a man Mina." He crouches low to stroke Simba, who meows in ecstasy. Lucky Feline. "I can't wait to make you mine." He whispers before leaving me breathless, and tingling with energy. I'm sorry to say I pined away for an entire day like a typical mashriqui clingy female.

.............

"Before you all leave for work, we need a family meeting." Dad announces at the breakfast table. Ali and Adiba quit playing footsie under the table to stare at him. Ma nods to this statement. Hmm. Sounds curious.

Ali clears his throat, "Yeah actually we wanted to say something as well." He grins at Adiba, who turns pink.

Dad gestures at him to continue, "You go first, son."

"Uh, Adiba and I, are taking a few weeks off from work. Kind of want to travel someplace together..."

I chewed on my toast, "Like a Honeymoon?" I love making these two uncomfortable.

His ears are slowly turning red at my words, and Adiba fidgets in her chair.

"Uh, yeah. Like a, er...honeymoon."

I grin cheekily at him."Aren't you two just adorable this morning? Blushing and all...and when I think about all the cheesy dance moves you two pulled off on the Valima!"

My brother scowls back at me.

"That was a one-time deal. My wife wanted to dance with her husband. So it happened. There won't be any more public humiliation for me." He looks at Adiba timidly, "Right honey?"

"Speaking of cheesy dance moves. I saw you and Shehzer doing your moonwalk together." Adiba turns to Ali, completely ignoring his question."They looked adorable together Mashallah!" That evil woman. I shoot her a narrow-eyed warning.

Ali's scowl deepens. "If you didn't dance like a giraffe, I would never have let you do it in front of everyone."

Oh. No. He. Didn't.

I open my mouth to fight for my dance moves when Dad interrupted us.

"Be quiet you three!" he raises his voice, "Ali, you and Adiba can go whenever and wherever you wish of course...but this creates a slight problem for us..."

Mom is smiling serenely at this.

My mouth drops open.

"You two are going on a second honeymoon?"

Dad is staring aghast at me, "NO! absolutely not! At our age? Pfft, the very idea is absurd!" he clears his throat as Ma and I giggle.

"We are going for Hajj (Obligatory Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca) this year honey. We just got the call from the registry, that we have been selected!" Ma is nearly tearing up at this precious announcement. After a moment of expectant silence, all five of us were cheering and hugging one another. This had been a dream for my parents since we were little kids. Somehow, every year they tried to apply for Hajj, something or the other got in the way, but not this year. Allah must really be happy with our family right now. We had good things happening for us, after such a dark period of humiliation.

"I'm so happy for you two! this is amazing!" I nearly strangled Dad with my hug.

They were going on an almost month-long Hajj package, to better take advantage of this blessed trip. However, what with Ali and Adiba's impending honeymoon in Thailand, there was a slight logistical issue. Me.

"I can stay home alone." I shrug. Visions of junk food galore, and week-long F.R.I.E.N.D.S marathon danced before my eyes. EMV is gaping at my juvenile intentions, 'Are you sure it's legal for you to get married yet?'

My plan gets nicked out faster than I can say 'How you Doin'?'

"A Jawan Larki (Young, mature Female) Alone for a month?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

"Why don't we just burn the house right now? eh?"

"It's not that we don't trust you to be alone...It's just that we'd rather not take any chances."

"This isn't a reality TV episode, sweetie..."

Ali's eyes take on an evil glint, "Let's marry her off today. Or next week. Either way, she will be Shehzer's problem then." He chuckles, shaking his head "My intelligence astounds me sometimes..."

I gasp at his words, horrified. Thankfully Ma steps in with a strongly worded lecture, and an ear twist.

"We haven't finalized the Nikah date, but it will be immediately after we return from Hajj. Shehzer's Mother and sister cannot make a trip so soon, so they have decided to plan the Valima in Maryland." Dad smiles sadly, "We might not be able to attend our daughter's Valima."

My throat tightens at this news. Implications of my future keep hitting me frequently. I will have to leave my family for another. I will have to leave Pakistan! This is scary and exciting at the same time.

"Who will be from Shehzer's side then?" Ali asks.

"His aunt, next door, is handling the Nikah from their end, and he has a lot of family in Lahore who will attend the ceremony." Dad stirs his teacup. "We'll have to plan the event soon."

I decided to speak up, "Umm, guys? Is it okay if we keep it small, and simple? I don't want a big fat wedding plan. Again."

Everyone contemplates our last double wedding festivities, and I know I'm not the only one cringing at the thought of a repeat of the hectic schedules.

"Beta, your wedding wardrobe was already designed...I have kept the dresses safely untouched, so I supposed most of the work is already done." Mom lists down stuff that usually needs preparation at weddings. I can't take anything more than traditional clothes to my new future home, so dowry is useless.

I want my nikah to be the opposite of everything we had planned with Areeb. I don't want my old relationship to cast a shadow on this one in any imaginable way. I simply won't allow it.

"We still have to figure out your living arrangement for the month!" Adiba reminds us all.

Ali has another brainwave, "Aren't we forgetting we are related to a certain someone?" he rubs his hand in glee, "Someone whose purpose in life is to meddle in everyone else's?"

Uh-Oh. EMV is on her knees now, 'Don't say it. Pleaaaaseee! She barely just left for her own place!!'

Mom and Dad are nodding approvingly at this. NoNoNoNoNoNoNo!

"Kulsoom Nani will be a perfect chaperon for her." Ali is smirking at me.

"Can't I just tag along with you two? I promise I won't be nosy, and perverted!" I beg my brother.

"Mina, I love you a lot baby. But not THAT much." Adiba kisses my cheek as everyone laughs at my pained face.

Stuck with the dragon for a month. Great.

It's a good thing I have a prince to save me now.

Author's Note:

Done with exams! Yay!

O_O

Anyone else experience existential crises during vacays?

like, what is the purpose of my existence now?....

Yep.

Anyhoo, loving the support and all the new readers! My book is climbing up in ratings! <3 all thanks to my fantastic audience!

Do Vote and Comment!

Cheers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

395K 26.7K 53
"Say it." He whispered, stepping closer to me. "I love you too." I finally admitted, my cheeks flushing dark in embarrassment. I couldn't believe I j...
8K 994 64
"I knew you won't take long to come" He said evil smiling "Right! I go after what's MINE" he replied "How comes you are still strong? This should w...
280K 20.8K 64
COMPLETED ✔️✔️ Excerpt. *** "I won't bite. . .yet. . .I promise" He said with a teasing smirk. Walking in the rain didn't sound like a bad idea. Na...
2.9M 55.4K 16
[Reached #1 in Spiritual] He stands there tall, but not the same man I saw yesterday. This man had his shoulders slouched, he was heaving up and down...