Never Second [Dance Moms]

By Tigercubchae

Nini is one of Abby's most prized students. She's hardworking, determined, and she wins. What more could Abby... More

Cast
The Downey House
Downey's L.A. House
~Season One~
The Competition Begins
Wildy Inappropriate
Cheerleader Blues
When Stars Collide
(a/n)How would y'all feel?
Dying to Dance
Dance Moms Reunion Thoughts

Stealing The Show

1.3K 32 12
By Tigercubchae

"Who made up these questions. This is stupid." Robert reads Nini's homework through a text photo she sent as he was helping her with her homework over Skype. "Daddy it's the same questions as last time." "Yeah but this looks different. Math is math. It shouldn't change." "It didn't change daddy! It's the same math!" Robert groans. "You know what, who needs math. You don't need this." "But I need to do this homework for school tomorrow!"

"You're rich, you don't need school. Just tell me what career you want when you're older and I'll buy it for you." Nini laughs. "You can't buy my way into
a Broadway show! That's cheating!" "Okay okay, I won't do it, but is this even fourth grade math anymore? This looks so complicated."

"It harder because I'm in the gifted program. That work is tough." "Gifted? You're you're doing all that work while doing that show with Miss Abby? How are you even keeping up with all this?"

Nini shrugs. "I manage." Robert looks at her in worry. "You're in dance for eight and a half hours a day and taking gifted classes at school. That's a lot." "Not for me!" The girl smiles. "I can handle anything!"
"I know you can! You're a tough girl!" "I sure am! I'm Iron Man's daughter! I was born tough!" The girl flexes her muscles. Robert smiles fondly at her. "You'd tell me if you feel like you couldn't handle it. Right?"
"Of course! I tell you and mommy everything!"

"Like when you told us about the bully at school?" Robert crosses his arms. "It was one time and I defeated her just like how you defeated Vanko!" "You sure did!" Robert laughs.
After they finish completing Nini's homework, Robert began asking about Dance Moms. "So what exactly is this show again?" "It's called Dance Moms! It's about Miss Abby, me, and all the other girls and our moms!" "Oh you know what, your mom told me that. She said it's a headache already." "Yeah...it's a lot of drama. The moms are always fighting each other over stupid things and fighting with Miss Abby. Mommy said it was supposed to be a documentary, but they changed it."

Robert nods. "So, what's the plan for this week?" "I'm not sure yet! Miss Abby has been waiting until the start of the week to tell us. Since me and Maddie's duet won last week, I hope I get a solo!" "Me too! Your dancing is incredible!" Robert smiles. "I wish you could see me dance! When are you coming back?" "Soon baby. I'll be there soon."

"You always say soon!" "That's because it'll be a surprise when I come! I'll have to get there without being noticed." Robert smiles with cockiness. "Iron Man is a world famous superhero! I can't just come there."
"Right! You need to be stealthy with it!"
"Exactly! That's why you won't know when I get there!"
~

It was the start of a new fresh week. Robyn's girls were happy and chipper as the team won the previous week . It was their first win this season and they were more than excited.

When they three made it into the studio, the girls gave a Abby who was sitting at her front desk, a quick hug and made their way to get changed into their dancewear. "Robyn. I need to talk to you before the camera guys come." " Yes Abby?" The mom sat in a rolling chair next to her and plopped her purse on the desk. "So, I'm planning on giving Nini two solos this week." "Okay, that's fine. Why are you telling me before the camera crew comes?" Abby scrolls through her phone. "Because...those mothers don't need to know yet. Maddie is getting two solos as well and you know how jealous they all get of those two." Robyn nods. "Mmm...yeah they do get pretty defensive..."

"You think?" Abby rolls her eyes. "I wish the rest of them would stay home." The mother understood Abby's annoyance, but she was always really harsh on the other moms and it was awkward for her. Those were her friends and she was sure that Nini probably felt the exact same way when Abby said mean things about her friends to her.

Robyn simply laughed awkwardly and shook her head. "Yeah, well you know they have no choice, but to come."
~

Nini Layla

After her talk with Abby, Robyn waited in the dancer's den with the girls and other moms. Layla and Nini, now dressed in their dancewear began to stretch and warm up.

After a few minutes, Abby came and got them. The girls sat around the chalkboard as always. Nini sat between Chloe and Paige as Layla sat between Nia and Brooke. "Let's talk about Starbound competition." Abby starts. "Can we have a round of applause." Abby cheers and the girls all clap, feeling proud of themselves. "Brooke, you blew them away." Kelly smiles from ear to ear. "The people sitting around me were in awe when you did your handstand twist, but why all the drama with the hip." Abby says as Kelly's smile falls. "If you are seriously injured, you don't need to go to your mother and get everybody worked up. You need to come to me. Are we clear?" Brooke nods.

Abby then smiles and turns to Layla. "Last week, Layla also did her first solo ever!" Abby claps. "However, you got second place. How do I feel about second place Layla?" "Second is the first to lose." The child answers. "That's right." Abby nods. "This means you need to get what place when you do your next solo?" "First!" The girl smiles. "That's right. First! I'm giving you another chance to get that first place spot, so you'll be getting another solo this week!" Everyone claps and Robyn smiles.
~
Robyn: I'm really glad that Abby didn't get too angry about Layla getting second. I of course, was very proud of her for placing in the top two. It was her first solo, so should be a good sign that she placed that high.
~
"Also last week, Maddie and Nini had a duet and they got first place!" Abby smiles proudly. Everyone clapped for the girls and the two smiled at each other. "You both will be having solos." "Yay!" The duo cheers.
"Let's talk about this week's competition."
Abby flips the chalkboard.

Brooke
Nini Maddie Chloe Layla
Nia Paige Mackenzie Vivi

"Do you see, there's somebody new at the the top?" Abby points out. Melissa gives a saddened look, as Maddie was third on the pyramid. "Brooke, you are here because of your performance." Abby says. "You worked through an injury, you did what you had to do and you were a team player."
~
Brooke: It feels good to be at the top of the pyramid, but I don't really care. It doesn't really matter to me if I'm at the bottom or the top.
~
"You are getting a solo this week as well." Both Brooke and Kelly smile. "Chloe you will also get a solo." Abby then looks at Paige, Nia, Vivianne, and Mackenzie. "The bottom row, what am I supposed to do with you four? You need to step it up. You need to get your butts back into class and start working on your technique." Abby tells them. "You know what, since we're in Pittsburgh, I'm going to give every single one of you a solo." The girls all clap. "Moms, it's going to be a busy week, I expect them to be amazing? Understand?" Everyone but Cathy nods. She was not thrilled. She knew that one way or another, Abby was going to have Vivi do the bee dance.

Five Days Until Competition

The girls sit in the studio and stretch as Abby went over Maddie's solo.
~
Abby: This week, every girl as a solo to perform. Solos are very difficult because there's nobody to hide behind on stage. It's all about you. This week, both Maddie and Nini will be doing two solos. Maddie will be doing her solo, "Cry" and a new tap routine while Nini will be doing an older solo, "Over the Rainbow" and a new Hip-Hop routine choreographed by Danny, one of the hip-hop instructors here.
~
After Maddie's solo was done, Abby began running "Over the Rainbow" with Nini.
"Perfect! Make sure your knees are straight! Good! Nice feet!" The girl nearly falls out of her turns and Abby cringes. "Watch those turns! You're losing energy!" After Nini was finished, Abby didn't look happy. "I'm very disappointed in that performance Nicole." Nini knew it was bad when Abby said her full name instead of Nini. Robyn sat back in her seat, watching through the observation window. "If you perform like that this weekend...you will lose. It was sloppy, you forgot a good chunk of it, and you know you could do better than that."
~
Robyn: I didn't want Nini to perform Over the Rainbow in the first place because it's a solo she knew a year ago and she's advanced since then. It's a solo fit for an eight year old, but I know what Abby was trying to do. I guess she thought if she gave her a solo she knows well, she has a higher chance of winning.
~
Abby sighed. "How could you forget it? You knew it for a year." "It's been a long time since I competed it." "Well, we'll work on it. I don't want you forgetting it on stage and then losing." The child nods. "Yes ma'am."
"Alright, you get water. Layla you're next." Nini sits and Layla stands up with her tap shoes on. "Come here." Abby summons the child with her finger.

"Now...your first solo was a baby solo. There was nothing in it, it was easy, all you had to do was look cute and lip sync. We're not doing that again. No more baby solos." Layla smiles and nods. "Yes ma'am!" "Glad we're on the same page. Your first solo was good. It's easy. It wasn't second place material, but cute sells." "So, that's why I'm doing tap?" Layla asks, pointing at her tap shoes. "Yes, because you're pretty good with tap and I think it's a good style for you to do. It's called baby face and it's just as cute as the first solo, but it's more difficult."
~
After a few hours, Layla knew a quarter of her solo, but tap was hard and the child was losing her patience. "What's going on Layla, you're getting sloppy." The girl pauses and begins to cry. "What...what are the tears for?" "I'm sorry..." the girl cries. "Come over her." Abby says from her seat. The girl, still in tears, comes closer. Abby lowers her voice. "Stop with the tears. You're not a baby anymore. The crying is unnecessary." She wipes the child's tears away with her finger.
~
Layla: I cried because it was really hard. I can't help it! I get stressed!
~
Christi gives a dry laugh.
"I just love how she's down there wiping her tears, but if it were Chloe, Nia, or Paige she'd scream her head off."
"Even if it were Mackenzie who's a only a year older, she'd get told to suck it up." Melissa adds. "Do you not hear Abby telling Layla not to cry as well?" Robyn asks. "Yeah but she's not going "Suck it up" or "save your tears for the pillow". She's wiping her tears and talking softly." Kelly says. "I get it, my kids benefit favoritism, but I don't understand why you are talking about it right now."

"Because you love to deny it." Christi says." "Oh please." Robyn rolls her eyes. "When do I ever deny it? I literally just admitted it two seconds ago."
~

While the girls were still practicing, the moms decided to get out of the studio for a bit and visit the restaurant "Mohan's". Unfortunately for Robyn, Cathy came along. Although she was there, it was a good time for the moms to confront her about last weekend. It's like she wanted to be apart of the team, but didn't want to be part of the team.

"So, what did you guys think of the competition last weekend?" Christi asked. "Far away." Cathy said bluntly. "At least you got to leave." Robyn said. "You're right I did." Cathy said, while putting sugar in her coffee. "That wasn't fair. We go as a team and we leave as a team." Kelly said. "Well...this is how I feel about that ladies. We're in this for a different reason and we don't need to have a cheering section and we probably will be leaving at the competitions."

"Well that's upsetting to us because we care about the kids." Holly spoke up. "And it's something we do as team members." Robyn added. "We support all the kids and if you're going to be apart of this team and travel with us, you need to give back that same energy."

"Well that's what you like." Cathy argued. "That's not what I like. I like you guys, but I don't want to be your cheerleaders." Robyn rolls her eyes.
~
Back at the studio, Abby was running Brooke, Nia, and Mackenzie's solos. "Jump, smile, bigger!" She instructs Mackenzie.
~
Abby: People think I'm tough, they think I'm mean, but I worry about these kids like my own children.
~
While Mackenzie was dancing, she forgot her choreography and began to cry. "What are you doing?" Abby questioned with a hand on her hip. "I forgot." Kenzie cried. "You forgot? You have to keep going. You can't just stop dancing. Suck it up!" Abby takes a sip of water. "Start again."
~
Kenzie: I love dancing, but I don't wanna go on Broadway. All I wanna stay at home and eat chips.
~
"Back leg higher. Turn it out, slow down!" Abby commands. After Mackenzie danced, she told Layla to go next. "Alright Layla, no tears this time. Your solo is complete, now let me see it." "Yes ma'am!" Layla smiles and began tapping. Abby could tell that the small child was working hard to remember her solo. Tap was hard, especially for a five year old. The woman observed the child's dancing. She was a talented tapper for her age, but she needs to amp up the performance aspect. Layla gave a smile as she did her ending pose. "Listen, you need to look into a mirror and practice your faces because you had the same static smile on your face the entire time."

Layla nodded and Abby gestured for her to go again. "Start over and this time, don't hold that same face. You have to be entertaining. Tap is a dance style that requires it. Make me feel like I'm watching a professional. I want to see Shirley Temple, not a robot. Understand?" "Yes!" The girl smiles and starts again. This time she made sure didn't look static although she didn't know what the word static even meant.

When she finished Abby applauded her. "Woohoo! That was so much better!" She stands up and high fives the girl. "You have the petite category in the bag!"
~
The moms were getting even more frustrated with Cathy. "You know, I appreciate all the camaraderie and everything, but I'm going to tell you point-blank, and this is going to offend you Christi. The difference is that I am Abby's colleague no matter how you slice  and dice it. I am a colleague and you are a dance mom."

Robyn crosses her arms. "So...you're saying you're better than all of us because you're her "colleague"?" she said with air quotes. "I'm a dance instructor as well and I've been an instructor at the ALDC since I was sixteen and-" Cathy interrupts. "Exactly, you're her employee. There's a difference." "Ma'am. You are not special. There is no difference. While you are here, you are a dance mom just like the rest of us, so don't get it twisted."

"I mean...the woman is making a lot of money off of me." "She's making a ton of money off all of us." Kelly argues. Cathy smiles. "She's probably making a lot more off of me because I'm probably getting charged double."
~
Robyn: Cathy is probably the most entitled human being I have ever met. I usually don't say this because I respect my elders, but if she doesn't shut up, I will kick her geriatric ass back to Ohio myself.
~
"We're just in a different page, Vivi and I. We're part of the group, but we're not part of the group."
"Then what the fuck are you here for? Why compete with us if you don't want to be apart of the team?"
"Listen, Robyn I like you, I like all of you, but we're in it for all different reasons. That's all." Cathy takes a sip of her drink. "I like your top though."
~
Four Days Until Competition

There was four days left until the competition and the girls all gathered in the dancer's den to change. "Hi honey!" Melissa greeted Nini. "Hi Miss Melissa!" The girl responds as she also greets the girls.

First, Abby runs Chloe's solo then she runs Maddie's. While they were practicing, Nini began to stretch on the floor while Layla and the other girls stayed in the den. "Alright Maddie, take a pause. Nini you stand." The girls nod and switch places. Abby stands with Nini in the center of the floor. "So, how are your private hip-hop lessons going?"
~
Nini: Every week, I have hip-hop privates. It's not my strongest style, so I was surprised when Miss Abby gave me a hip-hop solo. I don't really want to do it because I feel like I'd do really bad, but Miss Abby really wants me to. I just wish my second solo was jazz or tap like Maddie's.
~
"My lessons are going good, but I'm not that confident in hip-hop yet." Nini says while fidgeting with her fingers. "That's why you need to do this solo. Get out of your comfort zone. Yeah?" Abby smiles. "Yeah!" Nini smiles back. "It's just...I don't want to loose." "You won't lose, you're my top student. This is a simple dance. I know you're capable of doing it. Now go run your number." The girl nods as Abby moves out the way. Cameron, Nini's hiphop coach comes in and joins the two. Since Abby sucks at hiphop, he was the one who did the choreography for Run It.

She starts off her dance with a side aerial. The toughest part for Nini to grasp was the tiny breakdance section. It was short, but it was difficult. "Watch the arms!" Cameron yells. "Good! Perfect!" The girl finishes her dance with a bow and then looks at her teachers. "I don't know what you're worried about. That looked great!" Abby grinned. "Just work on the arms. With hip-hop, you're supposed to be extremely precise with your arms."

The brown skinned man nodded in agreement. "You're a pretty ballerina, but hip hop is all about power! You have to hit all your moves hard!"
"Got it!" Nini gives them a thumbs up. "Let me see it one more time." Abby tells her.

Nini start again, this time working on her arms. After practicing the dance and running it over and over for a few hours, she felt less awkward with the dance. She still felt like she couldn't do it and pull it off. She didn't understand how Abby was was so confident in her ability to pull off the solo. After she was done, Abby dismissed her to get water and to take a break while she took care of Maddie's cry solo.  Cameron also left behind her.

As Nini was about to enter the dancer's den, she heard Christi and Kelly talking about her. Well...her and Maddie through the door.

"Did you know that Nini and Maddie are doing two solos each?" Christi starts. "No." Kelly replies. "I heard Abby talking to the girls about their second solo." Christi said in annoyance. "I'm not surprised that Melissa would allow it, but how could Robyn be so sneaky? She would never usually do that to our kids. I don't think she would." Kelly said.

"Whose idea do you think it was?" She asked. "They probably all got together for lunch and talked about it." Christi rolls her eyes. "It's one hundred percent sabotage. I mean...that's two solos each which means if they're lucky, they will take up the entire top four and leave nothing for our kids. It's selfish." Christi says.
~
Christi: No one in hell has a chance of beating Nini and Maddie and now both of them have have two solos? That's just double the chance for both of them, so now there's a possibility that the top four spots would just be the taken up by the both of them.
~

Christi scoffs. "I can't even get enough rehearsal time for one." "I haven't even heard Paige's music yet." Kelly adds. "How do you practice without music." "Well Melissa is in charge of music and Robyn is in charge of scheduling, so isn't this ironic." "Yeah." Kelly agrees. "Melissa always is trying to get an edge and now Robyn is doing the same. I thought she was a friend, but I guess I was wrong. I am so aggravated." Christi said.

"Baby what's wrong?" Robyn asks as she noticed Nini frozen by the door. "Nothing mommy, I was um...trying to remember where my water bottle was." Nini gives her mom a reassuring smile. "Alright then. Have you figured it out?" "Uh yeah, and it's um...not in the den. I remember!"

The girl grabs her mother's hand and leads her to the away from the door. "Nicole, what's going on?" "Nothing is going on! I just realized that I left my bottle at home, so I'm going to the water fountain!" Robyn nods slowly. "Okay..." Nini quickly takes a sip of water from the fountain. Before the girl can go back into the studio to continue practice, she turns around to Robyn.

"Mom...do you think Miss Abby could pull one of my solos?" The mother looks down at her in worry. "Why do you want to do that?" "It's just that...I feel like a selfish person." Robyn goes down to her eye level. "Baby you're not a bad person for having two solos."

"But what if I'm taking away more chances for the other girls to win?" "You're not doing that." Robyn strokes her hair. "Having two solos is okay. You don't have to feel guilty. It's a normal thing for dancers to have more than one solo at competitions sometimes." The girl nods slowly. "Okay then...I'll do it."
~
Nini: I overheard Christi and Kelly saying things about me and Maddie having two solos and it made me feel guilty because it wasn't my intention to take away my friends' chances of winning. I definitely am not trying to be selfish. My mom said I should do both solos, but I still feel bad. I don't know what to do because I know Miss Abby wouldn't want me to pull a solo, but I also don't want to hurt my friends.
~
That afternoon around 6:00, Nini and Layla stayed in the studio to practice. The girls begged to stay, so Robyn agreed to let her mom pick up them up. The two were in Studio C, practicing their respective solos. Nini began rewatching videos of her performing "Over the Rainbow" to make sure she knew the moves. After watching videos, she began practicing the parts she kept forgetting over and over again until she got it right. As the girls were dancing, Abby walked in to see them. "Good jobs girls! Great work!" As soon as they were done, she pulled both of them into a hug. "I love to see this! This is dedication!" Abby smiles. "Where's your mom?" "She left." Layla said. "Our grandma said she'll get us!" Abby nods. "Alright great. So, I want see the solos again. Layla first and then Nini you'll go." "Alright!" "Okay!" The girls say excitedly.
~
At the same time, Christi had the moms over at her house for dinner. Since Robyn's girls were going to be eating with their grandparents, she wasn't worried. The moms were supposed to have lunch, but they started a little late. Before Robyn left the studio, one of the producers told her that Christi and Kelly were talking about her kid along with Maddie. Usually, Robyn would ignore it because the producers were always saying things to start drama, but this time she believed it. There had to be a reason why Nini felt guilty and wanted to pull one of her solos. She assumed that Nini must have overheard what they said and she was going to get the bottom of it.

"You guys can start eating. I know you guys are starving." Christi says. After their meal, the moms had casual conversations while eating their desserts. "Alright girls, I asked you to come over here because, I think we need to talk about Cathy. If she wants to benefit from being a member of the team, then she needs to get her ass on the bus and she needs support our kids just like we support her's."

Holly agrees. "If we have to abide by Abby's rules, everyone has to abide by Abby's rules." Christi nods in agreement. "Because, if you start making exceptions to the rules then, why have rules." Christi then turns to Melissa and Robyn who were sitting on her left. "I guess the other issue is, Melissa and Robyn to level the playing field, would you be willing to pull one of Maddie's and Nini's solos?"

"Mmm, I don't know about that. I'd have to to talk to Abby." Melissa says. "Okay, so Robyn?" Christi looks at the mom. "You know...I'm glad you brought this up because I heard that you were gossiping about my daughter and not just my daughter, but Maddie as well." Melissa perks up. "So, not only were you and Kelly talking about Nini, but Maddie as well?"

"We weren't gossiping about the kids, we were talking about how unfair it is that they both get two solos and everyone just gets one." Kelly speaks up. "Yeah, I'm not doing that, because you guys wouldn't do that." Melissa said.

"I did do it. I did it at DEA because Paige and Nia deserved a chance to shine." "Well, I'm not doing it." Robyn shakes her head. "I'm sorry." "What would be your reasoning for not doing it?" Holly asks. "I'm not hurting my daughter. She worked hard this week and it wouldn't be fair to her."

"Wasn't she struggling with the hip-hop solo?" Christi asks. "Wouldn't it be a relief to her if she didn't have to do it?" Robyn rolls her eyes. "That's none of your business." "So, if Chloe had two solos and Nini had one, you wouldn't be mad." "Of course not! Kids do multiple solos at competitions all the time. It's normal. My daughter has won competitions with one solo against girls who had three to four solos at the same competition."
~
Robyn: I absolutely would not pull either of my daughter's solos. It's not fair to her and it's normal for dancers to do more than one solo. I've seen kids do it all the time.
~
"This is becoming very cutthroat and I don't think it need to be." Holly said. Christi nods. "I don't even know you anymore Robyn. I mean seriously? I never saw you doing something like this. This is Melissa behavior." Melissa gives an offended look. "You've always helped our kids and now you're working with Melissa to sabotage them? That's a new low Robyn and it's selfish." Christi crosses her arms. Robyn nearly explodes. Does Christi not remember the amount of things she's done for Chloe, Paige, Brooke, and Nia?

Robyn talks in a stern way, raising her voice slightly. She knew she would look insane if she screamed and she was better than that. She can get her point across without screaming.

"I've pulled plenty of Nini's solos so your kids can have the spotlight. I run your kids' solos for you when Abby refuses to do it, I risk my job doing free private lessons at my house for your girls when you're having a hard time scheduling them with Abby. For once...I'm putting my child first. I bust my ass for your babies, so you're not going to say to sit up here and accuse me of sabotage for doing something that everyone in the competitive dance world does. I'm not pulling any of my daughter's numbers and that's final! Next time, keep my daughter's name out your mouth and keep her daughter out your mouth as well!" Robyn points at Melissa. Robyn grabs her purse and storms out.
"Have a good night."
~
Robyn: Christi is one of my closest friends. We've been close since our girls were super little, so it really hurt when she accused me of cheating or sabotage for the second time. I thought we were friends, but I guess not. I just can't believe that she would even fix her mouth to say that.
~
One Day Until Competition

It was a fresh new day. Robyn came home angry as hell, but she didn't show it to her girls. She ended up talking to her mom and Robert about it and it felt good to release that energy. She planned on asking Nini if she actually overheard Christi and Kelly after the competition, but she didn't want her daughter to lose focus and become guilty. Walking into the studio, she decided that she was going move on. She was no longer talking about the solos with Christi or to anyone else besides Melissa. Kids complete multiple solos all the time. It's not a crime.

The mother walked in with her daughters hand in hand and greeted Melissa who was sitting at the front desk with a case full of CDs. "Hey girl!" Robyn smiled. "Hey Robyn. Hey girls!" Melissa greeted back. Robyn sent the girls to change and warm up with Maddie and Mackenzie. As they changed she chatted with Melissa. "So, how are you feeling after last night?" Melissa asked. "It's whatever. I don't have the energy to go back and forth over something so minuscule." "Understandable." Melissa nods. "Christi is probably just jealous. She's jealous of my daughter too."

Robyn shrugs. "Who knows. I'm just frustrated. I mean...when we had our last argument, she got mad and called me a cheater over privates. I was choreographing a mini team number and doing paper work. My daughters are dancers. They're in a studio doing nothing, they're going to want to dance while they're waiting for me anyways." "Exactly." Melissa agrees. "I'd let Maddie do the same and have a quick private lesson if i was working overtime."

"Right!" Robyn says. "You know, I'm glad I was able to talk to you about this." "Me too! I'm glad you chose to talk to me too." Melissa smiles. "So...have you spoke to Cathy today? You know, since she's your bff and all." Robyn asks. "I don't know." Melissa shook her head. "She was very disrespectful to you."

"I know." Robyn said. "She thinks she's allowed special privileges. For what? I don't know, but anyways...I gotta go. I have a petite ballet class to teach."

"Oh- before you go. I have Layla and Nini's music ready to go for tomorrow." Melissa smiled. "Thank you so much! I was just about to ask you that." Robyn smiled in appreciation. "Of course! I got you covered!" "I appreciate it!" Robyn looks at the clock. "Alright, I gotta go! My class is waiting!" "Bye, have fun!" Melissa waves.
~
Robyn: I'm glad I was able to talk to Melissa about the situation. I'm not going to let Christi guilt trip me about the solos. If she brings it up, I'll just ignore it. I'm not pulling a solo. Point. Blank. Period.
~
Hours have passed and Abby had the girls doing an acro class and the noms weren't happy. Well...Kelly and Christi weren't happy. Paige still hasn't heard her music and the moms were concerned that the girls weren't practicing. Christi also talked about Nini having "super secret privates" but thankfully, Robyn wasn't in the room to hear.

The moms ended up going up to Melissa. Kelly began asking about Paige's music. They then began telling her about the acro class. Christi ended up calling Gianna Melissa's personal helper and said that she will only do things for Maddie for Nini. After more arguing, Melissa runs to Abby about the moms constantly "bitching" at her. Abby then rants to the moms about their "complaints", but at the end of the night, everyone was still in the same situation.
~
The Downey's Dance Room

After leaving the studio, Robyn spoke to Holly who told her that the girls didn't get much time to go over their solos bc Abby decided to do an acro class for hours. Due to this, Robyn invited the girls and moms over to the family's at home dance room to run their solos. She even put her feelings aside to invited Christi who was surprised by the invitation. The only mom that wasn't in attendance was Cathy. Robyn also invited her, but she declined.

She spent the most time practicing with Paige as she got her music only an hour prior. By the time she felt like everyone was prepared, it was already midnight. Robyn sent the moms home by eight pm to rest and allowed the girls to sleep at her place, so they could get as much rest as possible. The girls all gathered in Nini's room along with Layla with air mattress and sleeping bags. The moms agreed to come back in the morning to get the girls as there wasn't enough room in Robyn's truck to bring eight kids to the studio.
~

                          Nini Layla

It was 6:05 the next morning. The girls were more than tired, but at least they were more prepared. The moms all met at Robyn's house with their usual suitcases and glam'r gears to get the girls. They all then made their way to the studio for the bus. "Come on girls, let's go!" Abby shouts as they all unload their cars and boarded the bus.
~
Robyn: This competition is big. Abby's peers from Pittsburgh will be watching the girls. I'm sure this will also bring it lots of new potential customers who live in this area. I invited the all girls and moms over to my house to practice the solos and they all look great! I just hope they all do well.
~

After they are settled on the bus, Abby took attendance. Nini was next to Maddie as Layla sat next to Brooke as Layla completely became Brooke's shadow. Luckily the teenager did not mind. Layla was knocked out, laying her head on Brooke's lap while Nini and Maddie indulged on snacks that Nini smuggled into her bag.

The girls arrived into the venue at the same time as Cathy. Abby spoke to a woman at the desk and was handed a program. "Hi!" Cathy greeted. The girls and mom then quickly ran into the green room to get ready. "Girls, break a leg. Please make me proud out there." Abby says and Christi makes a face.
~
Christi: I'm really pissed. This competition was set up from the get-go that it wasn't going to be a fair fight. Abby entering two solos for both Maddie and Nini in the competition this week makes perfect sense to me. She keeps saying that we're in our own backyard and that she has a reputation to protect and she wants all the girls to do well, but really she just wants two specific girls to do well and if one of them wins the overalls, Abby looks good.
~

Robyn did Layla's curly hair into two buns and applied her makeup. After she was done, she sent Layla to put on her costume. When the girl returned, Robyn couldn't help, but smile. "Look at my baby! How cute is this costume!" The mom smiles and showers her daughter with kisses. "Mommy, my makeup!" The child cutely scrunched her face. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help it because you're too cute! Let me clip those bows into your hair." The girl nods and Robyn clips pink bows on each bun. Abby came around to see the costume and she was pleased. "Wow the costume looks great! It's very cute!" The woman then pulls a shoe box out of her big tote bag. "I brought your tap shoes." She smiles.

Layla thanks Abby and takes the box. The other moms watch as the girl unboxed glittery, hot pink, Mary-Jane style, tap shoes. The child gasps. "Miss Abby I love them!" She hugs the older woman, thanks her again, and quickly puts on her socks and then the shoes. "I'm glad! I saw them online and though they'd look good with the pink costume." "They're so pretty!" Abby smiles as Layla dances around in the shoes.

"Here Nini, I didn't forget about you honey." The girl smiles and comes forward, makeup from her hip-hop solo already done. Abby hands the girl a tiny shopping bag. The girl thanks her and takes out a beautiful headpiece. "I love it! It's so pretty and sparkly!" "It's for your Over the Rainbow solo! I felt like you needed a headpiece, so I went out and bought it." "Thank you again Miss Abby!"
Christi and Kelly give each other a look and Christi rolls her eyes.
~
Christi: Now, we're in the dressing room, and here goes Abby giving Layla and Nini special gifts for their solos. She didn't get the other girls any gifts. She doesn't even care to hide the favoritism because she gave the gifts in front of everyone. The woman is despicable. She knows she's treated everyone else like crap and it shows. Robyn had the nerve to just sit their and smile instead of saying that it was inappropriate to this right now.
~
After Layla was ready, Robyn helped Nini with her hair, tying two braids and then attaching green extensions to the end. The Abby suggested the extensions to set off the costume. Once Nini was dressed, she went backstage with Maddie who was tapping backstage. The moms sat with the girls who weren't dancing yet in the audience. Robyn sat between Melissa and Gianna.
~
Melissa: I understand why the other moms were so upset at Robyn and I don't see why it wouldn't be fair for our daughters to do two solos. Robyn has said that it's normal for kids to 2-3 solos at competitions sometimes and quite frankly, it's not of the other moms' business what our girls are doing.
~
Nini and Maddie exchange a quick hug backstage as the mc announces Maddie's number. "Please welcome ~Maddie with a cappella." Maddie squeezes Nini's hand before going in stage.

~
Abby: I was very impressed with Maddie, her taps were clear as a bell. Beautiful performance.
~
"Next is, Run It by Nicole!" The mc announces. Maddie quickly pecks Nini's cheek. "Maddieeee!" Nini whisper groans. "Sorry Nico!" Maddie quickly wiped off the lipstick that stuck on her cheek. Nini quickly moved on stage and got in position. She felt nervous and unprepared despite having the most practice time.
~
Nini: Hip-Hop is not my strong suit, so I hope I can pull off this performance. If Miss Abby has confidence in me, so maybe I should have confidence in myself'.
~

~
Nini: I feel like I messed up a lot. It definitely wasn't my best performance, so I'm kind of happy that I have two solos, so I can redeem myself with my second one!

Abby: Nini's performance was decent. It's not a Nini performance for sure. She was great and I think she proved she could go out of her comfort zone. I'm not worried if this solo doesn't do well because I know she'll have the win in the bag when she nails her Over the Rainbow solo.
~

Next, it was time for Layla to do her solo and she was absolutely nervous. As Abby said before, she can't just tap, she has to perform. Thankfully, while they were practicing, Maddie gave her great advice on her tapping.
"Here is Layla with Baby Face." The mc announces.

~
Abby: Layla absolutely nailed her performance! I smiled the entire time! She did exactly what she was asked and she put on a show! Her solo was wonderful and she definitely has a bright future ahead of her!

Robyn: Both of my babies killed it! I feel like Nini did great considering she lacks in hip-hop, but I loved both my girls' solos! Layla was absolutely adorable and I'm so glad that Abby gave her that solo. She was incredible and she had everyone in the audience smiling!
~
Next it was time for Mackenzie's adorable mouse solo.
"Next up, Mousetrap by Mackenzie!"

~
Mackenzie: I can tumble forever! I love it!
~
Kenzie's solo was so adorable Robyn had to get it on video. Afterwards, Melissa met Kenzie in the hallway and gave her the biggest hug as she told her how all the people clapped for her. Once they were back in their seats, Nini pulled Kenzie into a hug. "You were so good Kenzie-boo!" The six year old giggled. "Thank you!"

Despite Cathy's dismay, Vivianne's bee solo was next.

Brooke's solo was after

Then it was Nia's turn.

Unfortunately, Nia forget part of her solo and made it up as she went.

After Nia, it was Paige. Kelly was highly nervous. She had just got her music that night. Robyn did all she could do to help Paige with her solo, but now it was in Paige's hands. Robyn prayed along with Kelly that she'd do well.

Sadly, she forgot her solo and not long after she started. Nini wanted to tear up while watching her friend. She wanted to hug her, but Paige immediately ran off stage and out of the room.
~
Abby: Paige was like a deer in headlights. This hasn't happened to me in 25 years. This is humiliating. For one, it was humiliating to me as a teacher and two, she should be humiliated.
~
"Poor baby..." Robyn frowned as Kelly went to go get her daughter. Nini prayed that Abby wasn't going to be too mad at her friend. Paige got her music way later than the other girls, so it wasn't fair to be mad at her for that. The girl didn't have too much time to worry as she had to go on to perform her second solo.

After the next few numbers, the moms ran all to get Maddie, Nini, and Chloe ready for their solos. As the moms began getting their kids into their costumes, Layla and Kenzie took theirs off and put on their aldc tracksuits.

Melissa was taking too long with her hair, so Maddie got antsy and started adding extra pins to it. It was no secret that she was a perfectionist and wanted her hair and everything else to be perfect. The girl stormed out and Nini understood why. They both had a lot of pressure on them by Abby, so of course she felt like she had to be perfect. She wants everything to be perfect all the time." Melissa complains. "I gotta stay away from her right now."

Robyn nods. "Yeah, I mean...the kid is constantly pressured by Abby. She's also naturally a perfectionist. My mom is the same way and so is Nini." The mom said as she does her daughter's hair. The child began also doing her makeup, making sure it was just right. After the hair and makeup, Nini put on her costume and her hairpiece from Abby.

Chloe began running her solo after Nini and Maddie went backstage. Melissa and Robyn began walking together with Layla and Kenzie to the audience.
Christi glared at the two moms.
~
Christi: I am so fed up with the BS. Melissa and Robyn need to pull their girls' second solo.
~
"Melissa! Robyn!" Christi yelled down the hallway. Melissa answered, but ended up ignoring her in the end while Robyn straight up just ignored her. She didn't have time for her and she didn't want Nini worried before she went on stage.
Kelly walked up to Christi. "What's going on?" "I guess they're letting them dance." Christi said. "Oh the second one?" "Yes and I called them and they ignored me."
~
Maddie took a deep breathe before it was time to go on stage. "You ready?" Her friend asked. The girl nodded silently. "Maybe we should do something for good luck." Nini suggested. "Like what?" "Like a ritual!" Nini smiles. "We should come up with something by the next comp! I'll ask Chloe, Paige, and Nia as well!" "Sounds fun!"
"Next up, please welcome Maddie with Cry!"
"Gotta go!" The two did an air kiss and Maddie went on.

It was Nini's favorite out of Maddie's solos so far. She couldn't help but smile while watching her friend. As soon as Maddie came back, the girl attacked her with a hug. Chloe, who had just came up to the girls, was a pulled into the group hug with them. "You ready?" Maddie asked her friend. "I was born ready!" "Good luck!" Chloe smiled! "Thanks!"

"Please welcome Nicole with Over the Rainbow!"

Maddie and Chloe immediately pulled Nini into a hug as soon as she came off stage.
~

Abby: Nini was beautiful! As always, she pulled it off and was magnificent. It looks a million times better than it looked when she competed it for the first time a year ago. I adore this solo of hers!

Nini: Over the Rainbow was really easy and I definitely nailed it! All I really had to do was refresh my memory and it was a piece of cake!
I'm very proud of this solo, so I hope I can bring home a win for Miss Abby with it.
~
The last girl to perform was Chloe. Nini and Maddie hugged Chloe and wished her good luck before she went on stage.

Christi watched, but couldn't focus as she was still angry and Melissa and Robyn. Unfortunately, Chloe missed a turn, but still did amazing. "You did beautiful Chloe!" Nini smiles as she came backstage!" "Yeah it was awesome!" Maddie added.
~
Christi: I can't even look at those two women right now. It's always all about their daughters and no one else. Our daughters matter too.
~
"Alright, it's time award the petite solos!" The mc announced. "Our second place is..."Diamond in the Rough" that's Lucy!" Layla started to get nervous. Abby said that she absolutely had to get first. This was her second chance. She already got second, so there's no where else to go but first.
"Our first place overall high score for seven and under petite solo is..."Baby Face" that's Layla!"

"Go baby!" Robyn cheered as she smiled an collected her award. Abby also cheered and gave a high clap. "Good job!" The mc smiled. "What's your studio?" "Abby Lee Dance Company!"
When Layla sat down, Nini gave her sister a big hug. "Congratulations Lay!" She whispered cheered.

It was now time for the advanced mini division.
"Alright, it's time for the top five." The mc announced. "Fifth place advanced mini solo is...Nicole with "Run It"!
Nini was disappointed, but she smiled politely and collected her award. Abby was also disappointed, but surprisingly, she was more mad at the judges than she was at Nini.
"Good job baby!" Robyn cheered.

~
Abby: I was shocked. The words "Nini" and "fifth place" have never been uttered in the same sentence. Ever! I thought Run It was deserving of at least second or third place. Fifth place was unacceptable. I don't know what those judges were thinking? Thank goodness she has another solo and that one better not get anything but first.

Robyn: I wasn't surprised when Run It got fifth because it wasn't Nini's best performance and she knows it. Hip-hop just isn't her best style, but she has room to improve.
~

"Alright, fourth place is..."Mother" that's Chloe!" The moms, including Robyn, cheer for Chloe. The girls all engulfed her in a hug as soon as she sat down.

"Third place is..."A cappella" that's Maddie!" Maddie collected her award and sat down with the girls also giving her a hug. "Second place..."Cry!" that's also Maddie!" Maddie giggled and got right back up and grabbed her second award.
"It's the moment you've all been waiting for!" The mc spoke. "Your first place overall top scoring advanced mini solo receiving a $75 check and the trophy is..."
The girls all grabbed each other's hands.
"Over the Rainbow" that's Nicole! Congratulations!"

"That's my girl! Go my love!" Robyn cheered as her and Abby high fived. Both of her girls got first in their respective categories and she couldn't be prouder. Abby was beaming as well. Of course her prized student was first. She didn't expect anything less.
~
Nini: I'm so glad I got first! I was so nervous after I got fifth for Run It that I thought I didn't stand a chance with Over the Rainbow. I'm so, so glad I was wrong!
~
"Undefeated, are you happy?" Melissa whispered to Robyn. "Absolutely!" Robyn smiled. "Well I'm not." Christi scoffed. "You know, she is not going to ruin this day."
Abby said with annoyance. "Maddie did amazing as well!" Robyn said to Melissa as she ignored Christi. "Our girls were top three!" Melissa cheered and high fived Robyn. "Too bad Nini didn't get higher for Run It." Robyn nodded. "Yeah, but I knew it was going to do well because she had no confidence in herself and it showed. We'll have to just work on it."

Mackenzie, Nia, and Paige didn't place and Brooke placed fourth in her division, however Nia got a special energy award and Mackenzie got a special costume award. Maddie also got a special firecracker award for A cappella while Nini got a special loves to dance award for Over the Rainbow.

The moms all waited outside for the girls. Abby cheered along with the moms as all the girls ran to them. "Yay!! Woo good job!" Robyn gave both her girls the biggest hug and a kiss. "Good job my girls!" She said. Abby and Gia also gave Nini, Maddie, Kenzie, and Layla big hugs as well. "Alright let's go!" Abby turns to leave. "Abby I think we need to talk." Christi said. "No, you're not going to talk. You're not going to ruin this day." Abby says and walks away. "No." "Are you kidding me? I'm a paying client and you won't speak to me." Christi yelled. Abby shook her head. "Nope, nothing's worth that much money."

"I'm so excited for you girls! Melissa hugs Layla and Nini!" "Thank you!" They both said. "Yeah, I don't want to ruin the waited victory." Christi said with sarcasm. "I'm not ruining today." Abby puts her hand up. "We need to go in the hallway." The blonde mother  said. "You're not going to do this in front of my daughter." Melissa said. "Hurry up girls let's pack up." Robyn said, knowing something was brewing. "We can all go in the hallway because I tried to talk to you, I tried to talk to you, and I tried to talk to you. Personally." Christi points at Abby, Robyn, and Melissa.

"I'm not talking about this. My daughter is happy and her daughter is happy." Robyn points to Melissa. "Let's go in the hallway. We need to talk about all the things that need to be talked about." Christi yelled. "Not here, not now. It's the weekend. You're not paying for my time." Abby rebutted. Nini and Maddie tightly held on to Gia as Christi and Melissa yelled. It wasn't long before the two began to cry. Nini hardly cried, but she felt like the situation was her fault and that Christi now hated her.

"How many times have my daughter beat BOTH your daughters this year!" Christi screamed. Gia put her arms around both girls. Christi began a screaming match while Melissa argued back. "None!" Robyn answered Christi. "And you've done nothing, but made my daughter feel guilty! She heard every word you said about her and Maddie to Kelly and she felt guilty! She probably feels worse now because of you! You're making the girls cry and you're making Maddie feel bad as well." "You're a snake Robyn! You're a snake and you'll never admit it because you're all high and mighty!" Christi argued. "Screw you! I won't admit it because nothing was wrong! You're just bitter because your child lost! Doing more than one solo is a normal thing!" Robyn argued.

"It is not! That's just your excuse!" Christi shook her head. "If I really wanted to sabotage the girls, would I invite them over to go over their solos? No! I care about your girls, so I don't appreciate you calling me out my name!"
Mackenzie and Layla started to cry as well, so Robyn grabbed all their things and left, grabbing both her girls and Zieglers. "I'm done Christi! Don't call me! Don't text me! Don't say word to me next week! I'm done with you!" She brings the girls out.

"Your daughter is holding a national title and I'll take it away in a minute!" Abby yelled at Christi.
~
Robyn: I am highly frustrated. I never want to even look at Christi right now. I'm not in the wrong. My child did nothing wrong. All this situation did was make the kids feel bad.
~
Kelly and Robyn walked out with the crying girls as Melissa angrily walked behind. "I'm not going on that fucking bus! That fucking bitch!" Melissa cursed. "I'm not going either, but Melissa please be calm with cursing. The kids are around." Robyn pauses and picks up Layla as they continue walking out.

The group made it into the parking lot and paused.
"This is all my fault." Nini cried. "No baby it's not." Robyn put Layla down and hugged Nini. "Yes it is." The girl continued to cry. "Now Christi hates me." "She doesn't hate you." Melissa said. "She's just mad right now, but I promise she doesn't hate you."

"I am so pissed right now I can't even think." Robyn said as she texted her mom to see if she could pick them up. "Me too" Melissa said. I can't believe that happened." "Alright well, I'm gonna go get my girls." Kelly said. "Bye Kelly." "See you." The moms say and she leaves.

Robyn crosses her arms. "She had the nerve to make my daughter feel bad. She made both of our daughters feel bad and she has no remorse." "She doesn't." Melissa agrees. "She does nothing but pick at Maddie and now she's starting to target your daughter along with her." Robyn nods. "I just..." she sighs. "Both of my daughters got first in their divisions and I can't be happy right now."

Before Melissa can say anything a black Lincoln suv pulled up. The window rolled down to reveal the one and only Robert Downey Jr. "I got a call about two moms in distress?"

"Daddy!" Layla and Nini cheer and dry their tears as the man got out the greet them. He grabs both girls and brings them into his arms, hugging them tightly. Robyn went over to him and the two shared a kiss. "Hi honey!" Robert said. "Eww!" "Gross!" Their daughters say. The parents laughs. "I missed my girls!" "We missed you too!" Layla smiles.

"That was sneaky!" Nini playfully pats his shoulder. "I told you that you wouldn't know when I was coming!" "When did you get here?" Robyn asked. "A few hours ago actually." "How did you know we needed a ride?" Nini asked.

"Well, your grandma called and said you were stuck at the competition venue, so Iron Man came to the rescue!" "Yay!!" The girls cheered. Robert also greets Melissa. "Nice to see you again Robert!" She said. "Nice to see you too!" He also hugs Maddie and Mackenzie! "Nice to see you girls too!"

The man looks over at his wife. "So, can you explain what happened again? Christi did what?" The two mothers explained while they loaded the car. The group then gets into the car. Melissa and Maddie sat in the two seats in the middle and Nini sat with Layla and Kenzie in the back. "I can't believe she'd act like that." Robert said. "You two were close." "I'm not sure anymore." Robyn said. "At least you girls did well today! I'm really proud of you!"

"Yep! Me and sissy got first in our divisions!" Layla bounced in her seat! "First place!" "Yeah and Maddie and Kenzie did good too!" Nini added! "Maddie got second after me and third. My second solo got fifth and Kenzie got a special judges award for best costume!"

Robert chuckles. "Sounds like you guys had a successful competition despite the drama." "We did!" Maddie cheered. "Miss Abby will definitely be proud of us!"

Robyn gave a laugh. "She sure will honey!"

It wasn't long before group made it to their respective homes. The Downey's were more than happy. The house felt complete again now that Robert was home.
~

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I actually love Christi, but I needed some drama 🥲 I tried to make it not seem two bad that Maddie and Nini got two solos, so it wasn't in a sneaky way. I felt so bad for Maddie this episode bc she probably felt how Nini felt this chapter irl. Especially hearing Christi argue about that in front of her.
Tbh, the fight was hard to write because a lot of it was they yelling over each other, so their words were overlapping which made it hard to understand what they were even saying.

In other news, Robert is finally home! I was actually going to have come back during nationals, but I thought now was a good time to bring him home!

Next episode will be even more drama filled, so get ready for that! 😉 I have the girls entire timeline of careers already planned out, so I'm excited for it to all go down! At first I only wanted to focus on Nini's career, but I didn't want to neglect Layla, so I have special things ready for the both of them!

Since you all voted for Cameron in the "Help Me Out" chapter I'm excited to add him to the story! He's my baby and I miss him a lot! He definitely won't pass in this story because for one, I refuse to write that and two, he deserved to live a happy, long life, so I'm writing that for him.

I'm honestly even more excited for season 2. Jill brings a lot of the drama, so I'm excited to write her! I also have a storyline set for Kendall and Nini, so look forward to that 👀

I have one last to question wrap up this long ass author's note:

I want to know...would y'all be okay if I had Maddie and Nini work with Sia as a duo? They would be called SIA-mese twins bc Sia would have them in matching outfits and such. I have a storyline planned for the girls and Sia if you guys are okay with it! I wasn't sure, so I wanted you guys' input. So, should I do it or should I leave Sia and Maddie the way they are?

Anyways, please leave comments! I always appreciate reading them!

See you soon!

-🩵

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 3.7K 149
McKayla Ziegler born September 30th twin sister to Maddie and older sister to Mackenzie grew up dancing at the Abby Lee Dance Company, when an excit...
27.6K 530 39
NaΓ―la has been dancing with Abby since she was three, she won a lot and happened to be a favorite because of that but after falling down the stairs a...
1.9K 103 29
Paige Hyland, despite her history of reality TV, was a normal college student. She turned in assignments when they were due, and took her exams in he...
9.2K 181 28
paige hyland. the forgotten dancer. the cast-aside talent. the one abby lee miller will never give a chance too. but what happens when one day she do...