COTE: A Gathering of Geniuses

נכתב על ידי TuskActIV

Then, should he play the puppet mastermind that pulled the strings behind the scenes? No. There was no need t... עוד

Chapter 1 Class 1-D
Chapter 1 Class 1-B
Chapter 1 Class 1-C
Chapter 1 Class 1-A
Case of Assault Incident Class C
Case of Assault Incident Class B
Case of Assault Incident Class A
Deserted Island Special Test Part 1 Class D
Deserted Island Special Test Part 1 Class B
Deserted Island Special Test Part 1 Class C
Deserted Island Special Test Part 1 Class A

Case of Assault Incident Class D

196 9 3
נכתב על ידי TuskActIV

Class D 0 CP 87 = 87CP

Horikita Suzune was not having the best first year of high school so far.

To think that they had just gotten over the crisis that was the Midterms when suddenly a new issue had popped up. Was this some sort of weekly television serial where the protagonists has to defeat a new villain every week?

Of course not. Her life would be much easier if it was.

No, instead Class D had problems popping up one after another because they were the current weakest in the competition of classes. Where all the classes started with at least 500 CP points, they had none. Technically, all classes started with 1000 CP but only her class in the history of the school started the following month with none at all.

Despite the setbacks, Suzune was still determined to get this class to the top of Class A.

The current problem was Sudo Ken. A rough looking student whose troubles had stalled Class D's monthly refill. Not that Suzune had problems with points but with how far behind Class D was in CP, they could not afford any other setbacks.

It was the same Sudo who had not been able to reach the cutoff for Expulsion during the midterms. Suzune held no blame as she had learned just how grueling his basketball practice was. In a sense, it was odd for the school to not be more lenient towards their star athletes.

Well, none of it mattered as with the help of the boy she sat next to, Ayanokōji Kiyotaka. A mysterious boy who had gotten 50s in all his exams and yet was also able to answer questions no one else was able to. A boy who was also able to match her older brother, Manabu, in martial arts.

Said bored-looking boy was able to buy the last points of class average for Sudo from their teacher, Chabashira-sensei so he could pass. With Suzune's help, of course.

Also, Kushida Kikyo helped too but Suzune knew that it had been all part of Ayanokōji-kun's plan too.

The current crisis involving Sudo was a supposed altercation between him, and three students of Class C. Sudo insisted he was innocent, and the rest of the study group decided to help him out to prevent any more class deductions. "Rest" meaning basically, Suzune, Ayanokoji-kun, and Kushida-san.

They had been able to gain the help of Class B to get more information on the case. The best they got was a description of one of the Class C students, Ishizaki. Apparently, he used to get into fights in middle school and wasn't even part of the basketball club.

For her part, Suzune carefully monitored both threads that were putting up PP for information on the case. The part where none had seemingly taken the 100,000 PP reward for evidence against Sudo really helped the case. The guilty thread had more than a hundred views compared to the few dozen on the innocent thread with comments on Sudo's behavior, but the creator of the thread had yet to confirm anything valid.

Suzune read through every comment and monitored both threads closely. The large payout had attracted rumors like ants to honey ranging from the mastermind being another sports club who wanted to sabotage the Basketball club's image to Suzune creating a male harem involving multiple boys from her class.

It was hard work.

Meanwhile, Ayanokoji-kun had spent his day-off with Kushida in order to gain the help of a possible witness in Sakura Airi.

Which Suzune couldn't really rationalize because was not Suzune the one who pointed out Sakura was the only classmate who had a reaction when Sensei talked about the issue in class. Yet when she asked him for a favor, he'd refuse with the usual bored look on his face.

Odd.

Didn't Suzune also tell the group how even if Sakura Airi was willing to testify, it wouldn't mean much anyways? Yet he had still excitedly (in Suzune's imagination) agreed to go out with Kushida and Sakura.

Very odd indeed.

For now, classes were over which meant the hearing was about to begin.

Suzune had volunteered herself and Ayanokoji-kun to speak in Sudo's defense because, well, it just wasn't a good idea for self-representation here. The defendant, Sudo, was with them plus Sakura as their witness, looking around nervously.

With Chabashira-sensei, the four students headed to the Student Council Room where the actual hearing would take place. Apparently, for such cases of arbitration, a settlement between the concerned parties, the homeroom teachers of the respective classes, and the student council was required.

With every step they took towards the room, Suzune's heart trembled as if she was on death's row. Thankfully, her nervousness wasn't showing, or at least, the one that did notice chose to remain silent.

After climbing to the fourth floor, they made their way to a door with a simple cardboard next to it that wore "Student Council Room". The knock on the wood caused Suzune to wince yet it was her own heart's thumps that echoed in her ears.

Inside, two long tables faced each other with one more perpendicular in between the two. Already, the three students from Class C were seated on one side with a bespectacled man who was probably their homeroom teacher. Each sported various bandages and visible bruises with one of them even needing a cast for his arm.

"Sorry, we're late. You're early, Sakagami-sensei."

"No, you still had five minutes until the scheduled start time. I just want this to be over with."

The usual small talk between the two adults flew over Suzune's head as all her attention was on her Nii-san who was, unexpectedly, not sitting at the center. Instead, he sat on the right of a student Suzune did not recognize flanked on the other side by who looked to be Tachibana-senpai, the secretary of the student council.

Even Chabashira-sensei looked confused.

Suzune didn't question it, instead directing her gaze at her Nii-san who didn't even spare her a glance compared to the other documents in his hand. Being lightly nudged by Ayanokoji-kun, the younger sister turned her eyes away and took her seat along everyone else.

With all seated, Secretary Tachibana stood up to read from her booklet.

"Well then, today's hearing is related to a reported violent incident that occurred last Tuesday. Those present include the members of the student council, the involved parties, and their homeroom teachers. I, the student council secretary, Tachibana, will preside."

"To think that the student council president would come in over a little brawl like this," spoke up Chabashira-sensei with a sarcastic smile. "All by chance, right?"

"Because I am quite busy, there are certain agenda topics upon which I will defer. As a general rule, though, I would prefer to attend to these issues, as I'm entrusted to lead this student council." The student council president instead turned to the unknown student sitting on his side. "However, I do have good reason to be here."

At that, the unknown student stood up, a male with long dark hair and red eyes. "Good afternoon to all. My name is Kamukura Izuru of Class 1-A, a newly appointed Vice President for the Student Council. I have been given full responsibility and power for today's hearing. While I haven't been in position for long, I'll make sure to live up to my title. It's nice to meet you all."

Kamukura did a small bow as he finished his introduction.

His voice sounded remarkably bored, yet he grabbed the attention of everyone in the room. Suzune could immediately tell he had talent in public speaking. The vice president had a charisma that matched Nii-san. He also reminded her of another voice that was often in monotone with the owner sitting next to her.

"While he is a first-year student, Izuru-kun has sworn impartiality as with all student council members. If I notice anything other than objectivity, he has agreed to be removed from his position without complaint. For now, treat me as just another fly on the wall. Not everyone here is a related party, after all." Manabu ended his words specifically looking at Ayanokoji-kun. "Tachibana, continue."

The girl nodded as she then moved next to Kamukura who had taken his seat again. While those in Class C exchanged glances, no protest was made so Tachibana continued.

"For now, we wish to ascertain which version of the events is the truth. May I continue?" Tachibana gave the expressionless Kamakura a glance which he responded to with a small nod. She then turned to the seated Class C.

"Komiya-kun and the other two, you insist you went to the special annex building by Sudo-kun after he called you there. After which, you claim to have been all beaten up by only Sudo."

Attention was then given to the sude of Class D.

"This is denied by Sudo the defendant. He insists that, after club practice, it was Komiya and Kondou, also both in the basketball club, who had called him there. "

At that point, Sudo couldnt help but deny and atarted shouting accross his table which encouraged Class C to do the same.

"That's a lie. Sudo-kun called us over to the special building."

"Don't screw with me, Komiya! You were the one who called me, you jerk!"

"Sudo-kun beat us senseless. It was a one-sided fight."

"That's a lie. They attacked first. It was self-defense!"

"Please desist." A harsh wave washed over the whole room as the red eyes of the Vice President bore down on all. He did not shout yet his voice spoke over Komiya and Sudo who had both shut up. It was a stern tone that took its time yet implied immense violence to those that headed before it.

One only top Gang Leaders and Yakuza used to have get even the most hardened criminals on their knees.

The three from Class C had wide eyes and pale faces, immediately cowering as their automatic response to intimidation tactics. Even their teacher, Sakagami-sensei looked surprised.

On Class D's side, the smile had left Chabashira-sensei's lips. Sudo remained frozen while Airi looked as white as a sheet. Ayanokoji turned his glance to see that, at the very least, this had taken Horikita out of whatever funk she had been in. The icey beauty was now sitting straight up and hed full attention.

"You will both only speak unless asked. I am only asking as you have been rude to our student secretary who was still speaking. Tachibana-senpai. Please continue."

Unaffected, the secretary gave a thankful glance to the Kamukura.

"Both sides have given their grievances with both versions of events contradictory. This is pertaining to which side invited the other as well as the nature of the fight. Class C insists it was, in their words, a one-sided beatdown while Sudo claims it was for because of self-defense implying Class C had attacked him first."

Sudo looked tense and ready to speak up but hearing his side actually being brought up brought him some relief, even getting an excited nod. Unfortunately, the next words dropped a pit in his stomach.

"There is only one thing we can be certain about: that, at some point, Sudo injured Komiya, Kondo, and Ishizaki. This is confirmed by Sudo's own testimony. These three are the victims."

Just as Sudo was about to slam his hand on the table out of frustration, a voice spoke up.

"Hold on, Tachibana-senpai."

"Hm?" The girl blinked and turned to the person sitting next to her. Kamukura had his hand lightly raised.

"When has it been established a fight actually took place?"

"...um, Izuru-kun?" That actually had Tachibana-senpai look away from her notepad.

"At the moment, there is no visual proof a fight between these four took place. It should be common knowledge by now, but the special annex also has no security cameras."

Suzune actually looked up. She hadn't known that as she had never been to the annex before. She just assumed they had done it outside the camera's view. Even the Class C boys looked shocked.

"But..!" Ishizaki tried to speak up, but a fierce glare silenced the boy.

"I believe we already established; you will not speak unless asked. Next time, expect a deduction." Izuru turned his gaze back to the center and continued with a bored tone. "At this point, there is no proof that the two parties here even met. All facts that had been recounted so far are hearsay. Yes, Sakagami -sensei."

The man's spectacles gleamed. "I believe the injuries of my students are more than enough proof. However, even if they had created the injuries themselves, why would this Class D punk say self-defense? If this was a boast, wouldn't he want to take credit for beating up three people by himself instead of bothering to call it self-defense?"

"Thank you, Sakagami-sensei. Your care for your students is commendable but was nit your initial account upon submitting the complaint was that all of Sudo's words were lies?" Izuru nodded, his words sounding insincere to his monotone. "However, hearsay is hearsay. Due to the lack of evidence, I may still throw this case out."

A wave of relief washed over Suzune who simply nodded as she tried to maintain a poker face. Sudo didn't even bother with how he pumped his fist. Ayanokoji's eyes very slightly narrowed.

"No penalties will be handed out to either party." Izuru paused and, for a moment, his bored red eyes lit up. "Instead, the school's basketball team shall have their budget slashed."

It was as if the air was sucked out of the room. Any trace of excitement on Sudo's face was gone, replaced with disbelief.

"Without proof of a fight, we can then only move forward that this was a waste of time created by those in the Basketball Club." Kamukura continued. "They haven't put up any results recently, but they still have a sizable budget. It's gotten to the point they added a first year to their starting line-up after only a month. Isn't that right, President?"

From his seat, Manabu leaned back, the gleam on his glasses making his eyes impossible to see. "That is true. We've always given them leniency but there's a new club on video games that has gotten quite popular. There has been even talk to stop wasting any more money on outside games and keep it casual."

ANHS had a rule where students were not allowed to leave the campus island unless due to special circumstances allowed by the school. Clubs had the privilege and permission to leave when they battled other schools.

Kamukura then started spouting some wild theories.

"I'm just speaking here but if the conflict isn't between classes, then perhaps this fight could also have been instigated by another club. Both sides claim the other invited them, but both could have been tricked into fighting each other due to a misunderstanding. Or perhaps both sides are simply lying and are making a fuss to ruin the image of the Basketball club. This explanation allows both sides of the story to be true. Further investigation on all clubs will still be needed so the Basketball club will not be blamed."

That at least got Sudo nodding, even if his expression looked almost...lost.

Suzune wasn't sure what was happening.

It sounded like they were getting what they wanted, a full pass for Sudo with Class C not getting their way plus Sakura did not need to go up as witness but...why did it feel like she was slowly being trapped?

It was then red met crimson. Suzune froze as Kamukura's gaze met her own. His expression did not change but why did she feel he was smirking?

"Any complaints, Class D representative?" It was a simple question yet, for some reason, Suzune could not answer. "I am willing to throw this case out and let your defendant go. Are you willing to accept? That is...unless you brought a witness that could prove these four were in a fight but that would fully implicate your defendant."

Suzune felt her mouth dry up.

Chabashira-sensei was frowning with her arms crossed. It was the first time she had seen Sado with no expression at all, just a blank face while Sakura was shaking her head. Ayanokoji-kun was very still until Suzune saw a barely perceptible nod. Or maybe that was just what she wanted to see?

The logical thing to do was to accept the offer.

This was neither a compromise where both sides got suspension nor was it a declaration of defeat to Class C as Class D would get off scot-free with not a single day of suspension while three of them had injuries.

If she did reveal what Sakura had, there was no way going back to this deal. The only way would be to either prove self-defense which wasn't possible unless they were hoping for more evidence to randomly appear. With such excessive injuries, self-dfense could be ruled out. Moreover, they had just learned there weren't even any security cameras in the annex.

It would only be Sakura and Sado's words against the rest which wouldn't change how Sado still got violent with someone that they couldn't prove was in self-defense.

Suzune had known all this from the beginning which was why such an offer was just perfect.

No, surely this was the right answer but why did she feel like it wasn't?

Suddenly, a voice spoke next to her.

"Horikita, let's talk as if there was a fight. "

Compared to the harsh robotic monotone of Kamukura, Ayanokoji-kun's was soft, almost gentle.

"If there was a fight, we have no definitive proof of Sudou's innocence. Perhaps, such proof didn't exist. No one goes to the special building nor there are apparently cameras there. If it happened in a classroom, there would be a greater chance of sound evidence, but it didn't. Just as Sudo won't admit he did it neither would Class C."

With a sigh of defeat, Ayanokoji-kun gazed into Suzune's eyes for a moment before shaking his head.

For a moment, Suzune looked down into her bunched up fists.

"I understand..." Horikita answered, slowly standing up.

"Horikita?" Sudou asked. Gone was the anger from earlier, instead exchanged with unease and dread.

"I think that, no matter what happened, Sudo, who caused the incident, has a problem. He doesn't ever stop to consider his actions, which inconveniences everyone around him. He has a history of getting in fights. He's the type to raise his voice and fists right away whenever something displeases him. I read the thread asking for evidence on Sudo's guilt and, while no one could bring anything up, no one also had any good things to say. There was not a single post on the other thread that even defended him."

At those words, Sudo's head fell. For all that energy earlier, all the roaring of a man who refused to be defeated, suddenly was gone. It was the most pathetic he had ever looked.

"You need to understand, Sudo-kun. Your attitude caused all of this." Yet, Horikita did not stop her onslaught of words. "This is why I wasn't motivated at all to help you in the beginning. I knew that even if I forced myself to help, you would just repeat the same mistakes again and again."

Kamakura Izuru's expression was unreadable as he leaned back on his chair. His red eyes closed. "Your words have been noted. Sudo-kun, it seems your classmates deeply care for you. Do you have anything to say on that end?"

Sudo closed his mouth, his eyebrows brunching up in thought. After a few seconds of silence, it seemed he was about to speak before he noticed Horikita did not sit back down.

Instead, she continued.

"Sudo-kun should reflect on his actions. However, not in this particular case." Suzune's voice echoed across the room as firm as the resolve behind her eyes. "In this case, Sudo-kun did nothing wrong. Even if you say such a thing did not happen that's not what I've heard. This was a set-up from Class C from the start. I have absolutely no intention of meekly accepting defeat."

"So then...what are you saying?" For the first time since she had entered the room, Horikita Manabu finally looked at his younger sister who did not shrink under his gaze. She then turned away from her brother and met Kamakura Izuru's own.

"If you did not understand, I will say it once again. We-"

"I'm sorry! But we've made a grave mistake!"

All momentum Suzune had ceased as Ishizaki suddenly stood up and did a perfect 90-degree bow. All attention was on him now. Exchanging looks the two other Class C students stood up and followed suit.

It only took another 10 minutes, but Class C had officially withdrawn their complaint.

...

"Thank you, so much!"

Suzune awkwardly shifted as Sudo, on his knees, hit his head against the floor. They were all currently outside the student council room after the surprise withdrawal of their complaint. The rest of Class C had filed out immediately along with their teacher which left Class D to be left hanging dry as they waited for any possible updates.

On one side, Suzune was trying to get Sudo to stop as, even with how sincere he sounded but he was also close enough to look up her skirt from that position. Even when she move away, he scooted closer. She almost wanted to kick him but felt like that'd still be a win for him.

On the other hand, what was Ayanokoji-kun doing talking with Sakura? The girl looked relieved she didn't need to be a witness yet Ayanokoji-kun seemed to be reassuring her. Very suspicious.

Before Suzune could decide to just straight up leave, the door opened. Kamakura Izuru walked out, his expression just as bored as usual. While he had been frightening in the meeting, his presence outside felt thin and forgettable.

Dull red eyes turned to Suzune. She had thought so earlier but, now with Ayanokoji-kun nearby, the two were eerily similar.

"Horitaka Suzune, instead of a hope fuelled by despair, you chose to believe that despair could lead to a brighter hope. An unfounded choice no monster of logic would have made. It was predictable but interesting."

Was that...praise? Either way, Horitaka Suzune would show no weakness as she took her trademark frosty expression.

Seeing she had no reply, Kamukura then turned to Ayanokoji-kun. Sakura hid herself behind the boy who met bored look with bored look. Two expressionless sets of eyes stared the other down.

Suzune thought the two blank faced boys were about to come to blows.

It was Kamukura who broke the silence as he turned away. He looked almost disappointed. "Ayanokoji Kiyotaka, what does Victory mean to you?"

Without waiting for an answer, the Vice President walked away from the four of them. Suzune hadn't even noticed Sudo had stood back up to put himself between her and the long-haired boy. She was too busy staring at Ayanokoji-kun. There didn't seem to be any difference in his expression, but he seemed on edge.

"Thoughts?"

"About?"

"What he said. Do you think the deal was a trap? It sounded too good for me, honestly. Was it something Class C actually wanted?"

"No. It was the best choice at the time, didn't I say?" He did give her that "pep" talk. "It was an offer with no drawbacks whatsoever. It was basically the same result as Class C withdrawing their complaint."

"But they still did anyways." Suzune nodded. If the result was the same, why would Class C bother with the method to get there?

Now that she thought about it, wasn't it weird that the Class C boys looked shocked when it was revealed there weren't cameras in the Annex?

"Sakura, Sudo, I've never been there but is it true that the annex didn't have any cameras?"

The two exchanged confused glances at the sudden question from Horitaka.

"I only take pictures there because no one goes there. I didn't think of any security cameras.

"I'll admit I've stopped caring about those since the first month." Sudo's eyes widened. "Wait! Those bastards invited me to the annex because they knew it had none. Damn it!"

No, the problem was they didn't. Suzune had seen their faces and all three were just as surprised as she was. They even looked relieved when they realized they hadn't been caught.

Was it just a coincidence then? Did they choose the annex because few people passed by and had lucked out?

No.

It couldn't have been a coincidence.

There was someone who had told Ishizaki to frame Sudo who had also ordered the sudden withdrawal. But why? If they knew the annex wouldn't have any video footage which would lead to the case being thrown out, why would they still bother to withdraw with the results being the same?

Suzune remembered the words of Kamukura Izuru. While she didn't really understand the hope or despair part, he made it sound like she had made a choice. She almost wanted to ask Ayanokoji-kun but even from his blank expression...Suzune could feel conflict.

"Horikita, you chose to believe in your classmates. There's nothing wrong with that." Reading her mind, Ayanokoji-kun explained the choice Horikita made which had the girl's eyes widen in realization.

That was right. If she had accepted to throw away the case, it was the same as throwing away Sudo and Sakura's words. Yes, they would have gotten everything they wanted but Horikita was basically admitting she did not believe in her own classmates.

But...

"Was that really it?"

Was that all that Vice President wanted to test from Suzune? Had it even been a test or was it just a coincidence? How was this related to the mastermind in Class C?

"You chose to trust in their convictions even if it led to a possible loss rather than the guaranteed win handed out to you. That's not wrong."

Ayanokoji-kun's words got Sakura and Sudo to look at Suzune with appreciation but, as usual, Suzune's eyes were only on the mysterious boy who sat next to her who wasn't even looking her way.

Why did it sound like, instead of Horitaka Suzune, the person Ayanokoji Kiyotaka was trying to convince was himself?

AN: Wow, this was not supposed to be this long. I honestly expected around half the size but then again there was a lot of exposition dumping. This will probably be the longest chapter. Like, I doubt the next arc would be this long. Probably, hopefully. maybe.

Expect everything to be explained next chapter for those who haven't caught it.

Points nonsense:

Class A 900 CP 20 = 920

Class B 580 CP 60 = 640

Class C 520 CP 40 = 560

Class D 0 CP 87 = 87

So in canon, the points go like this:

A 64

B 13

C 2

D 87

I reread the LN and I don't believe it's stated that doing well gets you CP. If so, how did Class D get higher than Class A? It's stated that the Class Average of D was 79.6 which is why the Sudo thing was relevant (Cutoff point being average halved) so it's not like you get the points from the class average.

I heard Class C was bothering B at the time which is why they had lower scores but then how did D get more points than A? If it's unrelated to the exam and just deductions, you're really going to tell me early Class D were more behaved than A? Maybe Sudo doing well in Basketball got them the points too but when its stated around 60 to 70 of the students are in class, are those in A really that weak?

Compared to canon, Kiyomaro stopped some deductions while Keima helped boost the score due to his winning in the school. The C thugs instead went against some A students plus there have been more absences compared to canon.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

434 4 30
This book is mainly to keep track of the stories I write in School and in my Creative Writing class. I'm doing this to monitor how I grow in my writi...
2K 60 10
A new generation of geniuses have entered ANHS. Each with their own unique talents and personalities. Instead of being placed in Class A, it has been...
2.1K 70 13
Talented Analytics enter Advance Nurturing High School. The directors, seeing that the number of students applied and admitted exceeds the estimated...
3.6K 143 15
What if four of the smartest characters in fiction all joined the same school? Four humans with above-normal intelligence all enter the same school;...