Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)

24.7K 365 25
By akslate

Chapter 9- PLEASE COMMENT/VOTE! I WOULD LOVE SOME FEEDBACK :))

If I only knew one thing for sure about myself, it's that I hate traveling. We had been traveling almost a half a day now to Princeton, New Jersey. I knew we had to be getting close. A ferry, train, and car ride in half a day's time isn't exactly my cup of tea.

I was sitting in the bar seat of Danny's Mustang. As much as I loved the cars, they are extremely uncomfortable. I see Izzy look back at me from the front and I gently smiled

"So, where are we going to look first?" She asked. My mind hadn't been on searching for apartments the whole way. I was too worried about every glance, smile, or even smirk I had gotten from Danny. This isn't all that surprising at all.

I glance at Danny, who is also glancing at me from the rearview mirror. "I have no clue, Iz. I guess Danny will just have to show us around to the best ones."

"I can definitely do that." Danny smiles, a goofy grin. He had been the perfect gentlemen ever since I arrived at their house this morning. He got my bags out of my car, and packed them into his, and opened my car door. What's up with that? "I'm pretty sure my place, has a couple apartments open."

Izzy laughs, "Dan, Sam doesn't want to live at the same apartments as you."

I laughed to myself, Izzy had no idea.

Danny still glances at me from the front as my cheeks brighten. "I don't care where I live, as long as it's nice."

Danny laughs, "I'm pretty sure, I could find you some nice motels or weekly rentals."

I smirk at him, and laughed sarcastically. "You're too funny Dan."

"You know I am."

I set my eyes on the outside scenery. It was the first time Danny had actually made a joke around me since that night. I know Danny was a funny guy but these past couple of weeks; he has just been very quiet and not talkative when I'm around. Today was different though. Maybe we could actually be friends.

My thoughts are interrupted from my phone starting to ring.

Grant.

I smile as I answer. Grant wasn't too happy about me taking this road trip with Danny involved. I can understand why though, but then again I can't. At the moment, Grant and I are just friends, and business partners. Well, kind of.

"Hello?"

"Hey pretty girl, have you guys made it yet?" I hear his low, gruff voice from the other end.

"No, we haven't made it yet. I really think we are close though."

"Well, I think you guys should just head on back. I am missing my writing partner." He kind of laughs.

I laugh as well, "I miss you too." I lower my voice as I say this too him. I look up to the rearview and Danny's gaze is set on mine. For a moment, I want to just drop the phone. His stare was so intense.

"Well, you guys be careful. Call me if you need me." He says.

"Thanks and we will." We hang up. I look back up to see if Danny is still staring at me but he isn't. He is looking straight ahead.

I lay my head back onto the seat and look out the window. For a moment, I thought Danny and I could be friends; but even if he could be my friend, I really don't think I could be his. They say your first love is the hardest to forget. Maybe I'm not his first love, but I know he is mine. I close my eyes, and I slowly drift off to sleep.

***********************

I am finally awakened by Izzy's constantly poking my shoulder. I open my eyes to a bright smile on her face.

"Wake up!! Geez, we are here." Izzy laughed, she seemed more excited than I was.

I lift my head; there is nothing worse than sleeping in a car. My neck and back was both stiff as a board as I got out of the car. I check out Danny's apartments. They were extremely nice from the outside; they looked like town houses. All different colors and they were bright. Bet no one got depressed around here. I see Danny walk out from one of the apartments. A tall blonde guy followed him out. They both walked towards us.

The blonde was extremely cute. He smiled at both, Izzy and I. We smiled back, "Hey, I'm Kameron. Danny lives right above me."

Kameron had one amazing smile; his teeth were bright and white. His mouth didn't have one gap or crooked tooth. His eyes were also amazing. They were grayish blue. Let's just say, Kameron was a man version of Izzy. More like spitting image.

He was already checking out Izzy as she put her hand out to introduce herself. "Hey, I'm Izzy," She flashed him an innocent grin. The grin that let everyone know she was far from innocent.

Kameron grabbed her hand and kissed it, and then glanced towards me. I smile politely, "I'm Samantha. It's nice to meet you."

"Is this the Sam I hear about all the time?" Kameron looked over to Danny. He loses all facial expression and his cheeks turn red.

Danny talks about me? What! I didn't see that one coming.

I quickly look to Izzy, but she was way too caught up in checking out Kameron. I was so relieved.

"Dude, you know I just told you she was coming here next semester." Danny gave Kameron a look. The look was weird. It was kind of like a 'shut the hell up' look.

I try to act like I didn't hear any of it; but it was kind of hard too. I brush it off though, "So, are you guys going to show us inside? Or keep us standing outside the whole afternoon?" I ask, as I laugh.

Danny keeps his eyes on me as I speak

"Yeah, yall come on in." Kameron laughs a bit as well and turns and heads towards the front door.

I lean down to grab my bags when Danny stops them, "I got it, you go on ahead and check the place out." He smiles sweetly at me as his bright blue eyes sparkle. They got me every time.

At this moment, I melt a little inside.

I nod, and smile back at him. "Thank you." I stand there for another second and I watch him grabbing the bags.

"You're welcome, Samantha."

I walk up the side walk to the front door and I push it open. I take a look inside. Well, the apartment by itself was nice. Kameron had trash thrown all throughout the place. It was a dump. I couldn't help but laugh. I look inside the kitchen and there were dirty dishes piled so high that you almost couldn't see through the window above the sink.

Please dear Lord don't let Danny's place be like this.

I hear someone walk up beside me. Danny's laughter was amazing. He looks down at me and smiles, "I see the fear in your eyes. Don't worry, I keep my apartment clean."

I smile at Danny. I was so relieved to hear him say this. "This is disgusting. How in the world does he live like this?" I ask as I walk though dirty clothes to get to Danny's door.

Danny unlocks the door and laughs, "Well, we are men and we can't get pretty sloppy at times."

I look back to find Izzy, but she is gone. I bet her and Kameron were hitting it off well.

Danny showes me up the stairs to his part of the apartment. It was seriously like a whole other apartment. It had three bedroom, two bathrooms, living room and kitchen. It was very nice. And clean. More like, spotless. I was very surprised. Danny's room at his house wasnt even this clean.

Danny sits his keys on the counter and drops all of the bags. I look around and take in my surroundings. "This is very nice!"

"Thanks alot, I try to keep it as clean as I can." Danny laughs a little bit.

I heard a laugh coming from behind us, as Kameron and Izzy walked in. "You try to keep it as clean as possible?? Thats funny, since you paid me to clean it before yall arrived."

I look back at Danny and i laugh out loud, and then turn back to Kameron. "Well thank God for you! No offence Kameron but i dont think i could have stayed down stairs."

Kameron smirks, as does Danny. "None taken."

We all sit on the couch and talk for a while, "Im getting hungry." Danny finally said. "How about we all get dinner?"

We all agreed and parted to go get dressed. Izzy and I both decided on dressing casual. I wore a pair of white shorts with a black, one-strap, ruffled shirt. I slipped into my black wedges and walked into the kitchen where Danny and Kameron were sitting at the bar.

Before they see me, I hear them talking amungst themselves.

"Dan, why dont you just tell her how you feel?" Kamerons voice was alot louder than Dannys. I couldnt really make his out.

I just heard something about Izzy, and them Charlie.

"Well man, nothing is ever going to happen if you dont get rid of that bitch, Charlie. You cant expect her to want you until then." Kameron says.

Chills run down my spine as i listen to Kameron's words. Were they talking about me?

I finally get the nerve to walk in, and they both look at me and stop talking. I smile nervously, "Did I interrupt something?

Kameron shows his shiny, white teeth. "Oh, no not at all sweetheart"

I laugh at his flirtiness. I glance over to Danny who was staring at me smiling.

"Well, Im going to get lost and see how much more time Izzy needs." Still smiling, he winks at me. "Or... If she needs any assistance."

Danny laughs out loud, and looks at Kameron. "Keep your hands off my little sister." He says jokingly. Danny knew exactly Izzy is. She just really liked boys, and sex.

I am laughing along with Danny. I lift myself onto the counter and cross my legs, "No telling how long this is going to take."

"I know right, Kameron is such a man whore." He laughs and shakes his head. Danny walks over to the fridge and grabs two beers and hands one to me.

"Thanks" I try opening the top but it wouldnt. Stupid bottle.

Danny, who is standing close to me, grabs the bottle out of my hands and twists it open for me. He smiles and hands it back to me. "No trying to keep up with the guys tonight, kay?"

I laugh and playfully shove he shoulder. Samantha Smith, is NEVER trying to hang with the guys. Ever again. I take a sip of the beer, "Never again, will i try to keep up with you guys. You have nothing too worry about." I pull my hair to one side of my neck, and Danny smiles at me.

"Your beautiful," His smile was sad.

I smile back at him, and nod. "Thank you."

Danny stands there for a moment in silence tapping the counter. He sighs, as he sits in the stool right next to me. "So, are you and Grant...What's the word Im looking for.." He stops for a moment and thought, "Offical?"

I look down at my beer bottle and I smile. I was excited to know that Danny was actually interested in what i was doing, but for some reason I didnt want to say that I wouldnt be offical with Grant or come even close to being intamint with him because Im too hung up on your dumb ass but you just dont see it. Well, you dont want to see it. I couldnt say that, "Im not really sure what we are. I guess you could say we are friends with benifits."

As soon as my mouth spoke the words I realise that 'friends with benefits' wasnt the best way to put it. It made it sound like Grant and I are having sex; which we arent. That totally just made me sound like a slut. Good going Sam.

As Danny's face loses expression, I caught myself. "Benifits, not meaning we are having sex." I look up at him, as his face softens. "I mean, he wants to have sex but I...Its just complitcated."

He nods, and looks at me curiously. "Complicated?"

Why did he have to be so damn nosy??

I smirk, "Yes. Complicated." Danny didnt need to know what was complicated; Even though i think he already new.

Danny laughs and gets up to get another beer. As he pops the top he walks over to me and smiles. He positions himself in between my legs and touches my cheek. "Your too young to be thinking everything is too complicated." Danny's voice was quiet and soft.

Hell, I knew he was right. I was too young to be this stressed, to be panicing about everything that i panic about, and to young to not be able to make a choice. The choice being, to finally just let him go. I couldnt even make one stable choice in my life. This is a problem.

I pull my face away from his hand when i hear Izzy and Kameron coming from the back goofing off. Danny quickly pushes himself from the counter to the otherside of the kitchen.

I smile as I see Kameron and Izzy walk in. Even though they had just met, they would make a really cute couple. Both beautiful, tall, and skinny. They would make supermodel babies for sure.

Izzy grabs her purse and smiles, "Are you guys ready?"

I jump off the counter, "We've been ready Iz." I laugh at the mean face she gives me.

**********

"So, Samantha. I hear you are going to be seeing alot of Danny and I next semester." Kameron smiled and looks at me from across the table.

I laugh, "I dont know if ill be seeing alot of you guys, but I will be around." I look over to Izzy to see if she had any suspisions, but that was a no. She was laughing at every word that came out of Kameron's mouth. I glance to Danny and smile a little.

Kameron finally changes the subject to Izzy. "So are you excited about Danny's engagement?" He asks.

Izzy forces a smile upon her face, "So excited."

He laughs, "Well, they hit of off from the begining. You should have heard them from down stairs their first date."

Kameron was cool, but he really didnt know how to shut up.

"...He was definetly getting it in." Kameron looks over at Danny's embarressed face.

"Oh wow, I really need to go to the ladies room." I state, as I stand up from the table. Maybe ill just by pass that whole conversation. I walk to the front and walk outside. I sit down on the bench nearest to the entrance and pull my phone out. I had a couple of texts from Grant, that i should probably text back too.

Minutes later, I feel someone sit beside me. "Hope this seat isnt taken," Danny smiles and leans back onto the bench.

I shake my head, no.

"Sorry about that in there, Kameron sometimes doesnt know when to shut up. He is crazy."

I laugh, "Oh I can tell, but its cool. No big deal."

Danny smiles, "I know its probably akward.. You know, talking about Charlie."

Very hard.

I smile, and laugh it off. "She is your fiance, there is no reason for me to feel akward."

"Come on Sam. I may havent been around in a while, but the time I have spent around you I know when you feel uncomfortable and when you dont."

I smile, "You act like you know me or something."

Danny leans up and looks into my eyes, "Samantha, I do know you. I know when you are extremely quite your thinking about something. I know when your cheeks get red that you are dying from embarressment inside. I know that when you get nervous you pace the floor." Danny touches my face, "and most of all I know your uncomfortable when you dismiss yourself in front of me. I know you."

Everything he says is right, but it doesnt mean anything. It cant, those are little tiny details. I am speechless at his confession. His hand gently moves a peice of hair out of my face.

"You have no clue, how much attention I pay you when you are around. Your moves, and words. I hear them all." Danny confesses.

I couldnt listen to it anymore. "I think we should probably go back inside to the others." I stand from the bench and make my way to the door.

The rest of dinner was quiet. Kameron and Izzy pretty much kept the conversation going the rest of the night. I couldnt look up without wanting to look to Danny. He kept his eye's on Izzy and Kameron. I know I was being weird, but right now i couldnt help it.

*********************

"So, you were extremely quite at dinner tonight Sam." Izzy says to me as we get into bed.

"I think Kameron talked enough for the both of us!" I laugh as i stare at the ceiling. Izzy laughed as well.

"I just cant help it, he is so cute." She held her hands over her heart and smiles. "You cant deny it."

"I wont lie, he is very attractive and outspoken."

"Oh be happy for me! He asked me to spend the day with him tomorrow while you and Danny go apartment searching. Arent you so excited??" Izzy smiles big, "We have both found amazing guys. You have Grant, and well, I dont exactly have Kameron. But i will soon."

As I fall asleep, the thought of Danny and I apartment searching alone tomorrow envaded my mind. That sure is going to be an interesting day.

Fantastic.

So, I really hope this chapter makes you guys like Danny more!!!! Please comment/vote/fan :))

Ill have chapter 10 up very soon!

LOVE feedback :) so dont hold back!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

688K 11.8K 49
*sequel to Running on the Beach at Night* It happens, the moment you grasp that your dreams are finally sitting in the palm of your hand, and then yo...
427K 14.5K 52
Ivy knows it's time to return to her childhood seaside town to battle the demons of her past. Two years away from her friends, family and the beloved...
193K 8.6K 52
A bet. A tape. A betrayal. Two years ago everything crumbled in Nova Jensen's perfect world after trusting her heart to the wrong person only to find...
23.1K 740 44
*UNDERGOING EDITING AND SMALL CHANGES RANKED #1 IN #DADSBESTFRIEND TROPE My gaze was fixed on Weston, wanting to look away so he didn't see me but...