Maybe this Time

Por Orionyargi

After two years living away, Ceylin has to return to Istanbul. A threat to her life proves to be greater than... Mais

Maybe This Time - Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 8

1.8K 35 20
Por Orionyargi

Yes! We've finally made it to the last installment of this adventure.

All that's left for me now is to thank each and every one of you for your support and your patience. 

This chapter contains many references to previous events. If you've binge read this story recently or if you have a good memory, you might pick up on some of those!

Happy reading!

--

"I don't know what they are called, the spaces between seconds, but I think of you always during those intervals." - Salvador Plascencia

Maybe This Time - Chapter Eight

Ilgaz shifted in the upholstered chair inside the hospital waiting room in search of a better position. His aching muscles protested the uncomfortable seat, but the prosecutor did his best to ignore them.

An old clock on the wall broke the silence by dragging its hour hands rhythmically, but Ilgaz remained completely oblivious to the passing of time. He didn't know if it had been two, twelve, or twenty hours since he'd last looked at the clock, and frankly, he didn't care.

So much had happened on the last day that it seemed impossible to keep track of everything. Events were still so vivid in Ilgaz's mind that even though he believed everything would be alright, he couldn't relax.

Ceylin was on a bed in the intensive care unit just a few feet away from where Ilgaz was, but he couldn't see her. The lawyer had undergone an emergency thoracotomy to repair the damage sustained by the gunshot wound.

Ilgaz didn't even like to remember the panic that had gripped him when the whole scene unfolded.

The distinctive sound of a shot leaving the gun followed by the muffled noise of a bullet piercing the body of the woman he loved would haunt him for many nights to come. For a split second, Ceylin had looked into his eyes. But then her smile suddenly vanished from her face, making Ilgaz believe he had lost her forever.

He had knelt down in despair beside the lawyer while the police force that had accompanied him arrested Professor Sinan and his accomplice.

When the ambulance arrived at the scene a few minutes later, the relief of discovering that Ceylin was still alive was promptly replaced by a new wave of terror. Her life was hanging by a thread.

Upon arriving at the hospital, the prosecutor had experienced the helpless sensation of being unable to do anything. Ilgaz had spent the next few hours standing in the exact same spot he found himself in right now. Gradually, people had joined him. Some had stayed, others had left. But they'd all gone there with the same purpose, getting news on Ceylin's state.

Different emotions were expressed as hours passed. Some had screamed, others had thrown things, and many had cried their hearts out.

But Ilgaz had remained oblivious to any displays of emotion. His impassive expression would fool anyone who didn't know him well into thinking the prosecutor was taking the situation in stride.

But on the inside, Ilgaz felt as if he were at the bottom of a cold, remote well where all voices that reached him were swathed by a veil of fear and agony.

He couldn't lose her. He had just won her back. Ilgaz wouldn't stand it.

The prosecutor bargained with God for the next few hours, unable to voice anything and risk being lost in his own darkness.

When the surgeon on Ceylin's case finally walked over to give the family the excellent news that she had survived the procedure, Ilgaz had experienced one of the sweetest feelings of his life.

The prosecutor processed the doctor's words and understood that Ceylin's condition was severe. She still required intensive care. The bullet had missed her heart by an inch, and the surgery was too invasive. This time, Ceylin had gotten away with a pulmonary contusion that had been partially repaired by the surgical team, as well as a fracture on the rib that had absorbed most of the projectile impact. But the lawyer would still endure a long, painful recovery before she was back in shape.

The intensive care unit had strict rules for visitors. Ilgaz was no longer married to Ceylin, so he wasn't her next of kin, reason why Gül and Aylin were allowed to go check on her, and he wasn't.

Despite desperately wanting to see her, Ilgaz took comfort in knowing Ceylin was well and under excellent care. The lawyer was still sedated and receiving mechanical ventilation, but Ilgaz would wait until she woke up and could voice her wishes.

The moment Ceylin asked to see him, Ilgaz would make sure to be there for her.

"Aren't you going home?" Eren's voice brought Ilgaz back from his thoughts.

The prosecutor merely shook his head.

"Go shower and grab something to eat," Eren suggested. "You've been waiting for over twenty-four hours," he stated, alarmed. "I can hang around here. If something comes up, I promise I'll give you a call."

"No," Ilgaz took the bottle of water from the commissioner's hands when Eren nearly shoved it against him, but he didn't bother to open the lid. "I'll leave when I'm sure Ceylin is okay."

"She's fine, brother," Eren assured him. "The doctors said her surgery was a success, and she should make a full recovery. Aylin left the ICU just now and confirmed that even though Ceylin's state is still critical, she's stable."

"I need to see her with my own eyes to be at peace," Ilgaz insisted stubbornly. "I'll wait."

Eren sighed, accepting defeat. He knew he could not convince Ilgaz to leave the hospital, no matter how good his arguments were.

The commissioner also knew that work was the last thing on the prosecutor's mind at the moment, but he needed to keep him up to speed on the latest developments.

"By the way, Forensics has finished analyzing your phone. They confirmed what we suspected," Eren tried to conceal a proud smile that curled the corners of his lips. "Ceylin used it to record the full conversation with that demon," the commissioner's face turned into a scowl of anger and contempt, "she probably lured him into it and asked all the right questions to gather the evidence we needed to make a case against him."

Ilgaz didn't need his friend to explain all the details to understand Ceylin's clever plan. Her ingenuity and resourcefulness never failed to amaze him. Even in the face of danger, the lawyer had still managed to help them and herself. She had produced the necessary evidence to convict her former teacher and, by launching a handful of apps on Ilgaz's phone with built-in location systems, she'd allowed the prosecutor and Eren to eventually track her down.

Until she'd done so, they had used security cameras in the city to follow the vehicle where Ceylin had been abducted. But once the car entered a remote area on the outskirts of Istambul, the lack of images had hindered the pursuit. Eren and Ilgaz had covered a lot of ground in search of anywhere that looked suspicious, but it wasn't until Ceylin's heroic action that they were able to reach the warehouse in time to prevent a disaster even greater than the one they'd witnessed.

"Well, since you're obviously not gonna change your mind, I'm going back to the station," Eren informed Ilgaz. "There is still a lot to be done there."

Ilgaz nodded, unable to relax.

The next hour seemed to drag on.

The prosecutor pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to dissipate the tension. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw what he suspected to be a creation of his weary, emotionally numb brain.

But when a blonde woman approached him and hesitantly started a conversation, Ilgaz was sure it wasn't just his imagination.

"Hello, Ilgaz."

The prosecutor looked up with tired eyes, needing a second longer than usual to process the unexpected presence.

"Melis," he frowned heavily. "What are you doing here?"

The teacher hesitated before finally sitting next to Ilgaz in the waiting room, keeping some distance.

"I heard what happened to Ceylin," she started with a shaking voice. "Naturally, I was worried and wanted to find out how she's doing," the teacher risked a glance in Ilgaz's direction. But when she was faced with an expressionless response and complete silence, she continued, "I know this isn't the best time to have this conversation, but I had to come."

Ilgaz furrowed his brows. Somewhere in the back of his confused mind, things weren't making sense.

He could understand Melis's concern for Ceylin. After all, the teacher had always shown great esteem and respect for the lawyer. But he couldn't wrap his head around the logic of Melis ignoring him for several days only to now randomly appear at his side and apparently try to make small talk as if Ilgaz hadn't hurt her just a few days prior.

"You don't have to say anything, Ilgaz," the teacher let out a heavy sigh. "I know everything is a mess. I am sorry I've been avoiding you these past few days. I want you to know that I really appreciate your patience."

Ilgaz's eyebrows twitched as he turned his face towards Melis, shocked by that conversation. He knew he owed the teacher an apology, but he simply couldn't focus on that right now.

"You're an amazing man," Melis hesitated once more. "And I really want you to be happy..." The teacher bit her lower lip, her voice trailing off again. "I know your intentions with me were good. But the truth is, sometimes good intentions just aren't enough, right?" She cast a sad, wistful smile in his direction. "Sometimes the heart wants what it wants, and we just have to accept it," Melis paused to take a deep breath. "That's just how things are sometimes... I'm sorry I've been avoiding you the past few days, Ilgaz. I wasn't ready to face the truth. But I am now."

Ilgaz could hardly believe his ears.

Was it possible that Melis already knew about him and Ceylin? Was she really trying to comfort him when he should be the one apologizing?

Ilgaz's heart constricted in his chest. The prosecutor was again overwhelmed by a wave of remorse for having failed to remain faithful to the woman who now sat beside him. The fact that she was apparently handling the situation so well made him feel even worse.

"Melis, I'm so sorry that—"

"I'm in love with Umut."

"What?"

The information hit Ilgaz unexpectedly. Melis seemed to notice how stunned he felt, as she didn't take long to explain.

"The truth is, he and I have known each other for a long time. He was my boyfriend in high school. After our senior year, our families pressured him into formalizing an engagement," the teacher admitted, blushing up to her ears. "Umut wasn't mature enough for that sort of commitment yet. We were too young. That's why he broke up with me not long after graduation. But I never really got over him," Melis sniffed softly, torn between remorse for her actions and joy at getting back together with the man she truly loved. "We met again during one of the times I went to see you in the Courthouse," the teacher confessed, embarrassed. "And then it all just sort of happened... and I... I swear I never imagined doing something like this, Ilgaz. I can't imagine what must be going through your mind. You must think I have no shame, but the truth is that even though I really like you, I..."

"You were never in love with me," Ilgaz made it easier for Melis after watching her struggle. He gave a small encouraging smile in her direction before adding his own confession. "It's alright, Melis," the prosecutor assured her, seeing her face slowly relax. "I really like you, too. And I wish you nothing but the best. I am grateful for everything we had. But to be honest, I'm also in love with someone else."

Silence lingered in the air for the following minutes. Ilgaz could practically see the dots connecting in Melis's head when she slowly looked away from his face towards the ICU door.

"Ceylin?" The teacher's eyes widened in disbelief. She shook her head, trying to convince herself before adding, "so, you didn't get over your ex either?"

The corners of Ilgaz's mouth turned up in a guilty smile as he discreetly nodded.

"I couldn't even tell you how relieved I am," Melis put a hand on her chest, her heart slowing down. "I never thought I'd be happy to hear that my boyfriend is in love with another woman," she laughed nervously. "So you're not angry?"

Ilgaz shook his head.

"You're taking a huge weight off my shoulders, too," Ilgaz took one of her hands in his and gave it a light squeeze, trying to reassure her that there was no resentment on his part. "I wish you and Umut the best, Melis. He is a nice guy."

"I can say the same about Ceylin," Melis smiled. "She will make a full recovery, you'll see," the teacher affirmed with conviction. "Soon, all this will be just a nightmare to be remembered. And then we'll both be happy with the people we love."

Ilgaz was moved by Melis' positivity and nodded, convinced.

"I'm sure we will."

.

Ilgaz had long before lost track of the time he'd spent in the waiting room inside the hospital when his determination finally paid off. One of the physicians tending to Ceylin noticed how long the prosecutor was outside waiting and felt sorry for him. That prompted the doctor to allow Ilgaz to enter the intensive care unit for five minutes.

After he saw with his own eyes that Ceylin's face had regained its natural color and felt the warmth of her skin with his hands, Ilgaz was finally able to relax a little.

The prosecutor slept for more than ten hours when he returned home that night. For the next few days, even though he still couldn't visit Ceylin, Ilgaz always visited the hospital every morning before heading to work.

Five days after her surgery, Ilgaz finally got the phone call he'd been waiting for. Ceylin's sister informed him that the lawyer had finally woken up after the sedation and the ventilation were weaned off. According to Aylin, the first thing Ceylin verbalized when she woke up was to request Ilgaz's presence.

When he arrived at the hospital, the prosecutor was delighted to learn that Ceylin had been moved from the intensive care unit to a private ward room where she could have full-time company.

"Hey, Ilgaz," Eren greeted his friend when he saw the prosecutor standing inside the hospital corridor, apparently too caught up with a painting on the wall. "I'm not surprised to see you," the commissioner said in high spirits. After hearing the good news about Ceylin's recovery, he had stopped by the hospital hoping to see her. "What are you doing out here?" Eren asked when he noticed his friend seemed preoccupied.

As he got closer, Eren understood why. One glance at the framed image on the wall was enough for him to realize he was looking at the same painting that decorated Ilgaz's office.

"The Great Wave of Kanagawa," Ilgaz pointed at the painting after taking one hand out of his pocket. "I've always loved that image... But until now, I'd never really understood why."

"What are you talking about?" Eren frowned, confused.

Ilgaz noticed that his friend looked from the painting on the wall to the door of the room where Ceylin was.

"She's sleeping," Ilgaz reassured him. "They're lowering her sedatives but the pain meds that she's still on make her drowsy."

Eren nodded, relieved.

"What were you saying about the painting?"

Ilgaz reflected while staring at the image until he was finally ready to explain.

"I'm not a gambler, Eren. I don't usually take big risks," the prosecutor took a deep breath. "When I do take risks, they're usually calculated," Ilgaz glanced at his friend, seeing that Eren nodded quickly in agreement. "That's why people like me usually prefer swimming pools to open seas," he explained, taking a break to study the picture before him again. "Pools have edges, precise limits. You can hold on to them... You always know how far you can go and how deep you're in," the prosecutor added, confusing Eren momentarily.

The commissioner racked his brains, trying to understand what his friend was referring to, when it finally dawned on him.

"Are we talking about women or swimming pools?" Eren scratched his head. He had the impression that Ilgaz had been describing his recent relationship with Melis by describing what it was like to swim in a pool.

Ilgaz shrugged. He still had his hands in his pockets, staring at the painting before him when he revealed the rest of his thoughts.

"But the open sea is something else entirely. It's unpredictable. You can't tame it," the prosecutor took a deep breath. "It's got so much depth and potential. There's nothing to hold onto while you're in it," Ilgaz risked a glance in his friend's direction. "It's a huge risk to face a storm between the waves, but few things are as beautiful and powerful as a storm at sea."

"Are we talking about Ceylin?" Eren straightforwardly asked.

"Ceylin is the raging storm at sea, and I'm just trying to survive in my little boat," Ilgaz smiled as he pointed to one of the boats in the picture. When he noticed Eren's silly expression, the prosecutor finally realized that he looked like a lovesick fool speaking in metaphors and blushed to the roots of his ears.

"I don't want to discourage your paddling, brother, but it looks like you've already drowned in those waters," Eren teased him, enjoying himself.

Ilgaz swallowed hard, realizing his friend was right.

The prosecutor chose not to dignify the provocation with a response.

.

The sun had already set below the horizon when Ceylin finally opened her eyes.

The first thing that occurred to her was that the ceiling lights in the room seemed too bright. But it was the smile on Ilgaz's face as they looked at each other that seemed to brighten up everything around her.

"Hey," the prosecutor slowly approached the bed and rested both hands on the metal railing on the side, studying it carefully before asking. "How are you feeling?"

Ceylin couldn't remember ever being so physically drained in her entire life. Even thinking took an enormous amount of effort. Still, she couldn't contain a smile.

"Much better now that you're here," the lawyer declared, slowly dragging her hand over the bedcovers.

Ilgaz immediately understood what she meant to do and took her hand in his, intertwining their fingers.

The two maintained silent eye contact for the next few seconds.

Ilgaz was suddenly overwhelmed by the emotions he had experienced over the last few days. It all came back to him at once. His carefully constructed and well-maintained stoicism crumbled before one look from Ceylin. The prosecutor struggled to hold back the tears in his eyes, feeling a mix of fear, longing, and, finally, relief and gratitude.

Ceylin saw the emotions in the eyes of the man she loved and noticed the lonely tear that rolled down his cheek. A smart-ass smile creased her lips.

"You did say I made you cry, didn't you?"

It took him a few seconds, but Ilgaz finally understood what she was saying. The full scene practically replayed in his head.

Can she make you laugh like that too?

She doesn't make me cry.

The prosecutor stifled a chuckle, delighted to see her well enough to be joking. That was an excellent sign.

He leaned over the bedside rail and pressed his forehead against Ceylin's, filled with deep joy to see her awake and in such a good mood.

"Are you in any pain?" Ilgaz asked with concern.

"I am," Ceylin replied with a solemn voice, but the smile on her face betrayed her. "I took a bullet to the heart, and it's still bleeding. It hurts."

"Ceylin, the bullet didn't hit your heart."

"I'm not talking about the gunshot wound," Ceylin mustered the strength to lift one arm so she could cup the side of Ilgaz's face with her hand. "I meant everything that's happened over the last few weeks... over the past two years, actually."

"Very funny," Ilgaz replied wryly. "Enough with the jokes. You need to save your energy," he gently censored her.

"Will you stay here tonight?" the lawyer asked hopefully.

"Of course," Ilgaz replied without hesitation. "I'm only leaving you again if you ask me to," he added with a discreet wink.

.

Unfortunately for Ilgaz, actually creating some time to spend with Ceylin proved to be more of a challenge than he initially imagined.

Since they were no longer married, Ilgaz could not formally justify to the prosecution why he needed an extended leave of absence. He managed to stay by her side for a few days but eventually had to resume his activities at work.

When Ceylin was discharged from the hospital about two weeks later, Ilgaz met with the lawyer, her mother, and her sister, and they agreed that it would be best for Ceylin to remain at Gül's house for the time being. She still needed constant care and daily physical therapy, so it was inadvisable for her to live alone or spend the day unaccompanied.

At the end of each working day, Ilgaz would leave the Courthouse and drive his car directly to the Erguvan home, where he would have dinner with Ceylin and spend time with her before returning to his apartment.

Both Gül and Aylin were being surprisingly receptive to the prosecutor's presence. He was aware that much of their appreciation came from how much he helped them, not just by caring for Ceylin but also with simple tasks like driving them to the grocery store or taking care of the occasional chores in the house. As a sign of trust and gratitude, Gül had even given him a copy of the front door key.

The lawyer was making a remarkable recovery, especially in her wounded lung, but the fracture in her rib still bothered her a lot. Spending time with Ceylin at her mother's house was far from the ideal setting Ilgaz had envisioned for them but it wasn't as if they could enjoy intimacy even if they were alone — after all, Ceylin was still physically debilitated.

The most they'd gotten in terms of action had been a slightly hotter kiss that Ceylin had stolen when she pulled Ilgaz back by his shirt sleeve as he got up to leave the night before.

For all those reasons, Ilgaz was quite excited to have left work early that Friday afternoon. His plans included surprising Ceylin and spending as much time with her as possible.

The prosecutor was still thinking about that when he rang the bell at the front door and was promptly greeted by Parla. The teenager asked Ilgaz if he could spend the afternoon with her aunt and, upon hearing a yes, mumbled something about meeting someone whose name Ilgaz didn't recognize.

After taking the stairs to the second floor, he gave three soft knocks on Ceylin's bedroom door.

"Ugh. Go away and leave me alone," the lawyer's impatient voice sounded inside the room.

The prosecutor opened the door slightly and poked his head through it without actually getting inside. His confusion was evident on his face.

"I have to admit that was not the welcome I expected," Ilgaz's presence surprised Ceylin, warming her heart, "but if that's what you want, I'll leave right away," he teased her with a grin.

"No!" The lawyer regretted her impulsivity. The disapproving grimace on her face turned into a beaming smile of joy. "I didn't mean you!" She stretched one of her arms in his direction, "I thought Aylin had come home earlier. She's more annoying than usual today. I didn't even know that was possible."

Ilgaz entered the room and grabbed Ceylin's hand before sitting down on the edge of the bed beside her.

"Where did they go?" he wanted to know after he planted a kiss on the side of the lawyer's head.

"They're doing charity work with this organization that helps feed families in need," Ceylin explained, nestling against Ilgaz's body as close as her condition allowed her. "They won't be back until this evening," the lawyer looked happy at the prospect. "I was left with Parla."

"Well, now you're technically left with me," Ilgaz lovingly kissed the tip of her nose. "Parla looked pretty excited to get out. She asked me if I could stay with you for the afternoon and got out before I could give an actual answer," he reported lightheartedly.

Ceylin rolled her eyes.

"Ugh. There is a new guy."

Ilgaz chuckled.

"Yeah, I figured it was something like that."

"How come you left work so early?" She looked up at him, unable to describe how happy and excited she was. Her boring day had just improved exponentially.

"The judge on the case I'm on canceled my afternoon hearing," Ilgaz tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. "How are you feeling today?"

Ceylin shrugged, trying not to give too much importance to her physical state. Her fractured rib still hurt quite a bit, but she was now able to get up on her own and move around the house. Showering alone was now possible too. Those things gave her a level of independence she'd been missing ever since she'd been hurt.

"Do you know what I was thinking?" Her naughty smile caught Ilgaz's attention.

"Are you trying to distract me so you don't answer my question?" He narrowed his eyes in an overly suspicious way, making her laugh.

"I am," Ceylin confirmed shamelessly. "But don't you want to know what I was thinking?"

"Of course I do."

"It's Friday," Ceylin let go of Ilgaz's hand and slowly slid hers up the prosecutor's arm until she reached his shoulder. "And you don't have to go to work this weekend..."

"Correct," Ilgaz confirmed with a nod, quite interested to find out where that conversation was going. "Go on."

Ceylin couldn't hide her satisfaction when she noticed he shared her enthusiasm. Her hand roamed Ilgaz's chest until her fingers found the top button of his shirt, which she leisurely unfastened before bending her head to kiss the prosecutor's neck.

"I feel good enough to walk now," she whispered against his skin, pleased to see he caught his breath in response. Ceylin brushed her lips up Ilgaz's neck until she finally kissed him again, this time on the lips. "I was thinking... maybe I could go spend the weekend with you...? Away from this house," the lawyer suggested with an overly innocent voice. "What do you think?"

Ilgaz opened his eyes and found hers gleaming with excitement and passion. The prosecutor was sure Ceylin would drive him crazy, and it wouldn't take long.

"I think that's the best idea you've ever had," Ilgaz replied, making her laugh. "If you're feeling well enough, we can go whenever you want."

Ceylin's response was to take her hand to the back of Ilgaz's neck and pull him in for another kiss.

When the tip of her tongue found his, Ilgaz felt an explosion of pleasure that made him cradle the lawyer's face between his hands to kiss her. He gently laid her down on the bed, taking care not to hurt her, and then bent over Ceylin bracing his weight on his arms.

"I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that your mother isn't here," Ilgaz confessed, earning a delightful laugh in response. For the last few weeks, Gül had treated them like two teenagers, demanding that the door to Ceylin's room remain open the entire time Ilgaz was there.

The prosecutor had encouraged Ceylin to abide by her mother's rules because they were under her roof and because he knew how conservative the matriarch was. They weren't legally husband and wife anymore, so he understood that in Gül's mind, it didn't make sense for them to have any right to privacy. Besides, it wasn't like Ceylin was in any condition to do inappropriate things with him.

"Do you think you can take liberties with me just because my mom isn't home?" Ceylin raised an eyebrow at him in mock disapproval. She expected Ilgaz to vehemently oppose her accusation.

"I won't deny the thought has crossed my mind," the prosecutor surprised her, making Ceylin laugh when he buried his face in her neck to shower her with kisses.

They lay holding each other on Ceylin's bed, laughing and discussing everyday things. The television provided a soothing background noise, but none of them really paid attention to the broadcast news.

"Oh! Do you know what I saw today?" Ceylin remembered. Her excitement was visible in her eyes when the lawyer reached out with the arm on her healthy side to get her cell phone. "Look!" She opened a social media app and showed an image to Ilgaz.

The prosecutor saw the image of Umut and Melis side by side and noticed that the couple's picture had been added to the police officer's account. When Ceylin was still in the hospital, Ilgaz filled her in on the news.

The lawyer had been delighted by the budding romance. At the time, after some thinking, she realized that Melis had been present every time she had seen Umut acting suspiciously. After receiving a visit from the police officer himself, her longtime friend, Ceylin had shared with Ilgaz that by the time Melis had left the hospital when he was stabbed, that happened not because the teacher was upset that Ceylin had been called first to see Ilgaz, but because she and Umut couldn't stand the feelings of guilt and shame as they faced each other having to pretend nothing had happened between them the night before.

"I'm happy for them," Ilgaz was unmoved by the photo. He was much more interested in kissing Ceylin than looking at her cell phone screen.

"But, Ilgaz, look! They're officially a couple now," Ceylin's eyes widened in approval. The lawyer was visibly happy with the developments.

Ilgaz shrugged and resumed the trail of kisses from her cheek to the curve of her shoulder.

"I need to ask you something," Ceylin bit her bottom lip.

Because his face was buried in her neck, Ilgaz didn't see the expression on the lawyer's face, but he heard the hesitation in her tone and raised his head to look her in the eye.

"Yes?" He asked with a smile, already anticipating what Ceylin wanted to discuss. The only real surprise was that she'd taken this long to bring up the subject.

"Back when you were with Melis..." Ceylin's voice trailed off. She noticed Ilgaz's smirk, and it annoyed her. "What?" She scrunched up her nose in response.

"You want to ask me if Melis and I ever shared a bed," Ilgaz supposed correctly.

"That's not what I was going to ask," Ceylin lied through her teeth, exasperated with his ability to read her mind.

"Okay," Ilgaz struggled to keep a straight face. "So I think I don't need to answer that question," he feigned innocence, knowing Ceylin wouldn't leave it alone until she had an answer.

"Yes, you do," the lawyer demanded, looking at him with indignation all over her face.

The way she splayed her hand on his chest to stop Ilgaz from leaning over and kissing her again amused him. Ceylin was an open book; he loved how transparent she could be.

"What difference does it make if I slept with her or not?" Ilgaz deliberately delayed giving her an answer. Jealous Ceylin was always entertaining.

"So you're saying you did," Ceylin irrationally scolded him. Deep down, she knew she had no right to be angry since she and Ilgaz were divorced. But knowing and feeling were two very different things.

Ilgaz stifled a laugh, enraging her even more.

When he noticed her flushed face, the prosecutor finally gave in.

"I've never slept with Melis, Ceylin," he said with honesty, looking straight into her eyes so the lawyer could see he wasn't lying. "And she's never spent a night in my place."

"Are you serious?" Ceylin asked. She knew Melis was a pretty conservative person, so it made sense she wouldn't be okay with having relations before marriage. But, at the same time, she had cheated on Ilgaz with Umut. So Ceylin didn't think she had any right to make a judgment call about the teacher.

"I am," Ilgaz confirmed, seeing the impatience slowly fade from her face.

Ceylin promptly removed the hand that pushed his chest back and looped her arm around Ilgaz's neck to pull him closer.

Soon enough, tender kisses became more intimate touches, fueled by an explosive desire and two years of deprivation.

When Ilgaz reluctantly pulled apart, Ceylin saw in his mischievous expression that the prosecutor was about to ask a private question.

"How did you handle two years of abstinence?" He slowly slid one of his hands down her thigh while looking into her eyes, driving Ceylin mad with anticipation. "You certainly haven't suppressed all your energy, have you?" The prosecutor asked, his dilated pupils darkening his eyes.

Ilgaz and Ceylin had many disagreements during their marriage, but if there was one place where they'd always gotten along well, it was the bedroom. Ilgaz had never truly gotten over her absence from his bed, not just because he loved and wanted her by his side but also because he had never wanted a woman more in his life. Two years of distance weren't enough to change how to felt.

"Ilgaz...!" Ceylin playfully rolled her eyes, censoring him for the straightforward question. "That's not something you ask," she tried to input severity in her tone but ultimately failed.

"Why not?" The prosecutor's teasing smile widened even more. "It's torture for me to be by your side and not be able to do the things I want to do to you," he whispered against Ceylin's lips. "You could at least indulge me a little... Talk to me."

"Talk?" Ceylin burst out laughing but regretted it right away. Any movement that required deeper breaths made the pain in her ribs worse. "I am sure that talking is what you have in mind," she concealed the scowl of pain so Ilgaz wouldn't see it, as she knew he would quit their little game immediately, and that was the last thing she wanted.

"That's exactly what I have in mind," the prosecutor's smirk made her giddy.

"Since you want to share our experiences so badly, why don't you tell me how you coped with deprivation for two years?"

"Well, the answer is pretty simple," Ilgaz quickly kissed her lips before answering, "I just used my imagination."

This time, Ceylin couldn't contain a delighted grin.

"You're shameless. What exactly do you want to know?"

Ilgaz raised his eyebrows suggestively and ran his gaze all over her body.

"How did you do it?" He asked enthusiastically. "Did you use anything?"

"How do you think I did it?"

"If I had to guess, I'd say you didn't use anything other than these," he took her hands and brought one up to his face to kiss Ceylin's fingers. "I always figured you'd prefer your own handiwork to foreign gadgets."

"Foreign gadgets?" Ceylin once again chuckled at his euphemisms, "well, it's obvious you've spent some time thinking about this," she seductively glanced at him through her lashes.

Ilgaz groaned almost inaudibly.

"You bet I did," he didn't even try to deny it.

"Really?" Ceylin asked, torn between amusement and excitement.

"Yes," Ilgaz confirmed.

Ceylin noticed that although he maintained his confident posture, Ilgaz now looked a little more humble.

"Did you really think of me when... ?" She couldn't contain her curiosity.

Ilgaz looked her deep in the eyes, the shadow of a smile dancing on his lips. The prosecutor's eyes gleamed with playful malice when he answered without hesitation.

"Yes."

Ceylin felt a wave of heat rushing through her body. She didn't know if it was the prolonged deprivation or the content of their conversation, but she was getting more involved and seduced as time passed.

"And how did I look in your fantasies?" She brought one hand to the collar of Ilgaz's shirt and seductively brushed her fingertips on his chest. "Was I a dominatrix with a leather whip and a voice of command?" the lawyer asked with good humor, laughing.

"No," Ilgaz replied in a low, serious voice, maintaining intense eye contact with her. "You dressed like yourself, talked like yourself, and behaved like yourself," the prosecutor's voice was almost a whisper now. "Because what I wanted was you."

Until that moment, Ceylin figured she couldn't desire Ilgaz anymore. She had just discovered she was wrong.

Moved by his statement, the lawyer closed her hand around the collar of the prosecutor's shirt and pulled him in for a lingering kiss full of promises.

"I've thought about you a lot, too, if you must know," she admitted when they finally broke apart, "I've missed you."

Ilgaz looked delighted at her confession. He rolled onto his side on the bed and propped his head on his elbow.

"You're making me question how close to reality my fantasies were," Ilgaz used the hand on her thigh to caress Ceylin's hip and slid it upward until he found the hem of her shirt. He played with the fabric between his fingers before finally splaying it on her flat abdomen, amazed by the soft texture of her skin as he idly stroked it. "Show me?"

Ceylin's eyes widened at his shameless proposition.

"Are you asking me to...?" The lawyer stumbled across one of the rare moments in which she lost her speech. "I'm not going to put on a private show for you! I don't know if you remember, but I'm bedridden..." Ceylin spoke as dramatically as possible. "I am convalescing."

Ilgaz saw the teasing glint in her eyes and decided to repay her in kind.

"Since that's the case, I'd better go downstairs to fix something for you to eat. You should rest," he made a move to leave the bed. "After all, you're convalescing and..."

"Don't you dare," Ceylin laughed as she pulled him back to her side. The sudden jerking of her chest was accompanied by sharp pain, and she couldn't disguise her grimace this time.

For the first time since their playful banter had begun, Ilgaz's face expressed concern.

"Oh, my love," he leaned over and kissed the top of Ceylin's head, drowning in guilt. "I'm such an idiot," the prosecutor condemned himself. "Please, forgive me, I—"

"No," Ceylin interrupted him, refuting Ilgaz's arguments. She was absolutely sure he would never do anything that might compromise her physical integrity just because they couldn't have sex yet. "I am enjoying myself, Ilgaz. Really," she cupped his face, "it's true that I still can't make out with you the way we both want to," she had fun with his adorable, pained expression. "But it's not like I am dying," she chuckled. "I can do what you have many times imagined me doing."

Ilgaz was reluctant to look at her, but when they finally made eye contact, the two smiled fondly at each other.

"I love you," he confessed, touching his forehead to hers.

"I love you too," she affectionately caressed his cheek with her thumb.

Ilgaz took a deep breath before pulling away, overcoming the temptation of being next to her.

"Let's be practical," the prosecutor suggested, finally leaving the bed. "I'll pack an overnight bag for you to spend the weekend at my place."

Ceylin knew that his decision implied many things, including the unspoken promise that they could pick up where they'd just left off by the end of the week. The lawyer wished they could carry on with what they were doing, but, at the same time, she knew it would be hard to convince Ilgaz to do anything under her mother's roof, even if they were alone.

Taking comfort in the prospect of spending nearly three days in his company, Ceylin nodded.

"There's a gym bag right over there," she pointed to a corner of the room.

Ilgaz took the object and opened the first door of Ceylin's closet.

The prosecutor gazed at the stocked racks and many shelves packed with clothes and wondered why on Earth he had ever thought of himself fit for the task of preparing an overnight bag for Ceylin considering how little he knew about women's clothes.

With a shrug, he grabbed a handful of items on the nearest pile and sorted out the ones he assumed were most comfortable.

"Is this an adult size?" The prosecutor looked astonished when he showed Ceylin a white tank top with a fitted design.

The lawyer chuckled at his confusion.

"Of course it is," she smiled when he tilted his head, looking like he was having a hard time buying it.

Ceylin knew she could instruct him on which clothes to select, but she was having too much fun watching Ilgaz rack his brains over the variety of garments in her closet.

"Pajamas," Ilgaz winked at her, showing off a pair of baggy flannel bottoms. He looked pretty pleased with himself, which Ceylin found adorable. She nodded approvingly, and the prosecutor added the item to the duffel bag. "Which one do you like better, blue or yellow?" Ilgaz held out two sweaters he'd found hanging in the closet.

Ceylin wanted to laugh at the seriousness with which he took the role.

"Which one do you like better?" She looked fondly at him.

"I like you better when you're not wearing clothes," Ilgaz replied, immediately rewarded with an adorable laugh. He added the blue piece to the bag, as it seemed to have the loosest fit. "Ok, we've covered pants, shirts, sweaters..." he rummaged through the bag, double-checking every item. "Now, we're onto the most interesting part."

Ceylin saw the silly smile on his face as Ilgaz opened the top drawer on her dresser. She really admired the prosecutor's usual maturity and common sense, but sometimes she forgot that, like any other member of his sex, Ilgaz could sometimes behave like a hormonal teenager.

"What?" she asked after seeing the enigmatic expression on his face.

"How come I've never seen this before?" Ilgaz used his index finger to lift a pair of red lace panties.

Once again, Ceylin had to stop herself from laughing too hard, and end up causing pain in her ribs.

"Maybe you just haven't been paying enough attention," she teased him.

"I very much doubt I'd ever miss this," Ilgaz shot back at her with a smirk. He could vividly imagine Ceylin wearing only that sexy piece of lingerie, her pale skin fiercely contrasting with the vibrant red... Yeah, he definitely wouldn't have forgotten such a sight. "When you're feeling better, you owe it to me to put this on," he gazed at the panties suggestively.

"I'll think about it," Ceylin answered in an overly dignified tone. "What are you doing?" She asked, seeing that Ilgaz had packed the panties with her other clothes.

"Let's take this with us," he winked at her. "Just in case."

Ceylin shook her head in mock disapproval, but she had a smile on her face. She slowly got out of bed and, to prove that she was well enough, demanded to go to the bathroom alone.

Ilgaz agreed, as long as she didn't lock the door. When the lawyer left the room, he set aside a few more clothing items. He was about to close the drawer when a shining object in one corner caught his eye.

Unable to contain his curiosity, the prosecutor picked up what he found to be Ceylin's wedding ring. He could read his own name and their wedding date engraved on the inside.

Ilgaz was assaulted by a wave of emotions that left him disconcerted. Ceylin hadn't shoved her wedding ring somewhere she didn't have to look at ever again. On the contrary, she'd kept it among her most intimate, personal clothes, where she could see it pretty much every day.

Ilgaz was feeling moved when he closed out her overnight bag. The prosecutor made sure to keep the ring with him. He didn't want Ceylin to catch him looking all emotional, so he made sure to put on a neutral expression.

"Are you done playing with my panties, or have you made a new stop at the bras?" Ceylin's teasing voice surprised him when she returned to the room.

"Damn it, I totally forgot about them," Ilgaz sighed heavily. "Why is it that women have so many different clothes?"

"Are you suggesting I wear fewer clothes?" The lawyer teased him, still affected by their earlier banter.

"I'd love that," Ilgaz confirmed with a smile. "But only when it's you and me, of course."

"Of course," Ceylin pretended to roll her eyes. "Another private show, I suppose?"

"Yes," Ilgaz showed his approval. "You and that little red thing will be the main attraction," he glanced toward the duffel bag.

"Classy," Ceylin held out her hand to him.

Ilgaz promptly took it and escorted the lawyer downstairs. Before they left the house, Ceylin called her mother to inform her of the couple's plans for the weekend.

Gül spent the next few minutes trying to dissuade her daughter, but Ceylin was not convinced to stay.

She was sure that what she wanted the most that weekend was to leave her mother's house to be with Ilgaz.

The only thing Ceylin wasn't sure of was whether she would ever return to that house.

.

Six weeks after her incident, Ceylin underwent new imaging tests. During a follow-up consult with her surgeon, she received the fantastic news that the fracture in her rib was now fully healed. She still wasn't at her one hundred percent, but the lawyer was making good physical and mental progress.

The physical therapy sessions helped a lot, as did the psychologist Ceylin had started seeing once a week as soon as she could leave the house. Her body had been through a massive trauma. Not just physically but mentally as well. The weekly sessions helped her regain some balance and ensure the stress she'd been subjected to wouldn't escalate into something worse.

Just as Ceylin had imagined, after the first weekend at Ilgaz's house, she never moved back to her mom's. Despite missing her work, the lawyer had to admit to herself that she was enjoying that sort of domestic period of her life. Every morning, she got up before Ilgaz and made breakfast for them. On the days she had a session with the physical therapist or her psychologist, Ilgaz would drop her off before heading to work.

Ceylin spent her afternoons relaxing and doing mundane tasks like going to the grocery store or reading a book. When the pain from moving her arm subsided, she was able to dedicate some time to outdoor activities and used the opportunity to create her own little garden on the balcony outside the living room.

The lawyer included Defne in her activities whenever she could. The little girl could barely conceal how happy she was to spend some time with a female figure she admired. Ceylin's relationship with Metin and Çinar was still a little strained, but it made her happy to see that, little by little, things were coming together. Time really was the most effective medicine to heal old wounds.

Ceylin was so happy with the news she received at her doctor's office that she decided to cook something special for dinner that night.

When Ilgaz first walked into their home early in the evening, the first thing he sensed was a horrible burning smell. Worried, the prosecutor tossed his possessions carelessly on the first armchair he passed by and was surprised to find Ceylin in the kitchen surrounded by grey smoke. The lawyer was using a dishtowel to fan the content of the oven.

He opened his mouth to ask what was happening, but as soon as Ceylin noticed his presence, the lawyer cracked up.

"As you can see, I am doing a great job," she joked, earning a smile from him.

"What's going on here?" Ilgaz approached her while simultaneously taking off his coat. "Some kind of nuclear accident?"

Ceylin scowled at him but played along.

"Do you remember when I called you earlier this afternoon and told you I had a surprise?" She winked. "That's what I was talking about," she lied with a grin. "Tonight, you're having radioactive chicken for dinner, my love."

It was Ilgaz's turn to laugh.

"Are you saying that supposed to be a chicken?" The prosecutor squinted to better inspect the dark mass inside the oven.

"I completely forgot about it," Ceylin explained in a good mood. "Your sister called me downstairs to help her with her homework. I got distracted and only realized what was going on when I smelled the disaster from the second floor."

Ilgaz smiled at her before kissing her on the lips. That was one of Ceylin's qualities that he most admired.

Despite the lawyer's intense and explosive personality, Ceylin still filled his days with liveliness and joy. Ilgaz knew that most people would be frustrated and sulk after spending time in the kitchen and getting an unexpected outcome. But Ceylin managed to laugh it off without any trace of resentment.

"I think we might need to replace that tray," the lawyer sighed heavily, hitting the burnt chicken with a fork. It didn't move an inch.

"What was the surprise you wanted to share?" Ilgaz couldn't contain his curiosity. He stepped forward and helped Ceylin clean the mess on the counter and inside the oven.

"I got my MRI results today," the lawyer's green eyes sparkled excitedly. "The report says the fracture on my rib is completely solidified."

"Ceylin, that's amazing," Ilgaz wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Now you can officially hug me," Ceylin smiled at him and crossed her arms behind his neck.

Over the last few weeks, Ilgaz had gotten used to keeping a safe distance from her body because even the little things, like holding her a little tighter, could be painful. But Ceylin was now confident that everything would soon return to normal.

When Ilgaz got out of the shower later, he took on the task of ordering takeout for them. Meanwhile, Ceylin went to wash off the smoking smell. This time, it was Ilgaz who prepared a surprise.

"Since it's such a special evening," the prosecutor said with an air of suspense, purposefully blocking her entry into the room, "we have to celebrate it accordingly."

Ceylin's eyes gleamed with expectation.

"What are you up to?" She asked, excited.

Ilgaz smiled mysteriously before stepping aside to let her see with her eyes own eyes with was on the TV.

"Up!" The lawyer cheered, touched that he'd remembered her favorite movie. She noticed a couple of sandwiches and two steaming mugs of tea on the coffee table. "Ilgaz Kaya, you really are one of a kind."

Ceylin nestled against him on the couch and pulled a blanket to cover their legs. An adorable scene of the main couple's lives played before their eyes. Ilgaz noticed Ceylin's heavy frown beforehand, so he wasn't surprised when she asked the question.

"Do we have any of those couple things?"

"What things?"

Ceylin was always amazed by the scene in the movie in which the characters - a man and a woman - had new and recurring experiences over the years.

"It's just... those little idiosyncrasies the person you're with does, but you only notice when you've been together a while. Do you know what I mean?"

"I really don't," Ilgaz wanted to laugh at her frustration.

"It's like... I don't know..." She bit her bottom lip, snuggling against him with her head on Ilgaz's chest. "It's like when we're walking down a sidewalk, and you always take the outside near the street," she listed, thinking of how protective Ilgaz always was.

"I didn't know I did that," the prosecutor admitted shyly.

"Or when you're full of resolve and put your hands on your hips... or the way you blink twice when you're confused about something," she explained, lifting her head to look into his eyes. "It's really cute."

Ilgaz had not expected to hear such compliments, nor had he ever thought about the matter. He didn't know what pleased him more, having Ceylin next to him or the fact she'd noticed these things that, until now, he'd never paid attention to. Knowing that she was waiting for him at home every night certainly made his days much more pleasant.

"I also love it that you rarely complain when I stick my freezing feet under your legs whenever we're in bed or on the couch," Ceylin said with a chuckle, receiving a kiss on the head in response. "You're always warm and willing to share your body heat."

Ilgaz noticed her loving gaze. The way Ceylin smiled at him made his heart melt.

"My pleasure," he wrapped an arm around her, feeling her relax against his chest.

Ilgaz finally understood what she meant now. He could even make a long list if necessary.

Ceylin was the most adorable human being Ilgaz had ever met. And the most enjoyable part was that she didn't even try to be charming; she just naturally was.

Ilgaz couldn't describe how heartwarming it was when they were in bed together, and Ceylin would do this thing where she would blurt out something adorable like confess something about her feelings for him, blush up to her ears, and then hide under the covers. Or how she would complain in her sleep if he removed his arm from underneath her. That could be particularly painful the next morning since Ilgaz usually woke up with a numb arm the next day, but the prosecutor was sure it was worth every cramp.

He could also point out how much he loved Ceylin's unfiltered nature. Or how she made fun of herself and the things she wasn't good at.

Ilgaz loved it when he caught her doing something she didn't like, such as organizing a drawer, and she had this adorable heavy frown as if figuring out which method would be better to perform the task in the shortest amount of time.

The prosecutor also liked it when she left their bed in the morning, put on nothing but his shirt over her underwear, and walked around the apartment showing off those fantastic shapely legs.

Ceylin was possibly the only human being who managed to look cute even when she was having a fit of hiccups. Ilgaz smiled to himself as he remembered how she tried to hide it whenever it happened. He could also list the times when they were going to sleep and Ceylin would come up behind him, hugging him as if, at over six feet tall, Ilgaz could be the little spoon instead of her.

Sometimes, when they watched something together, Ceylin would yawn and lay her head on his chest before curling up next to him like a child clinging for comfort. In those moments, Ilgaz would usually forget all about whatever they were watching and settle for focusing on her instead. Ceylin's skin was always soft and smooth, her hair always smelled like she'd just gotten out of the shower, and her smile dazzled Ilgaz whenever he got home and found her there, waiting for him.

Ceylin would smile about nothing other than his presence.

In those moments, Ilgaz felt like the luckiest guy alive.

And she made him sure that he was.

At that moment, Ilgaz made the decision he had subconsciously been considering since he'd gotten back together with Ceylin.

Judging by her following comment, Ilgaz figured she had probably sensed something about the trail of his thoughts.

"Maybe one day you and I could build our own dream house," Ceylin smiled, moved by a scene in the movie.

"I would love that," Ilgaz approved of the idea.

He felt Ceylin's body stiffen slightly. She remained silent for the next seconds. Ilgaz wondered what had changed to create that tension. But he didn't have to think about it for much longer.

"Maybe, at some point, we could also fill that new house with new people," Ceylin hesitated, biting her bottom lip.

She seemed unsure of what Ilgaz would think of her suggestion. But when his face lit up with a smile that reached all the way to his eyes, Ceylin sighed in relief.

"I can't think of anything better than that," Ilgaz verbally confirmed what his face had already answered.

Both were sent back to memories of two years ago when they had stood outside a nursery in the hospital and talked about starting a family. It was amazing to see that none of them had changed their minds on the subject.

"If you're up for it..." Ceylin tentatively made eye contact with him again. "We could start working on it."

Ilgaz was taken aback.

"Right now?" He had to contain his enthusiasm.

They'd shared a bed every night since Ceylin moved back in with him. She had already put on the private show Ilgaz had asked for — more than once, in fact — but even though they'd had a good time using hands and lips in every possible way, they hadn't made it all the way to the end yet since Ceylin was still in recovery.

"I feel good enough now, Ilgaz," the lawyer read the concern on his face. "Don't worry about it. There's no pain anymore," she smiled with relief and expectation. "Besides... I really miss you," the lawyer tempted him, slowly running her hand on his thigh.

Ilgaz didn't need much more convincing.

They left the movie unfinished in the living room and went to bed early that night. Ilgaz had spent several nights in that same room feeling the warmth of Ceylin's body next to his, wondering if she also wished their clothes would disappear so they could both remember what it was like to have him inside her again.

As soon as they lay down, Ceylin pulled him by the shoulders. Ilgaz braced his arms on either side of her, supporting his weight.

Soft moans left her lips in the sweetest exchange Ilgaz had ever been a part of. And just like that, the last wall standing between them gradually crumbled.

When Ilgaz took her in his arms that night, his thoughts went back to the painting hung on his office wall and the prosecutor smiled to himself.

He was about to enter the stormy sea again, and this time, he would do so without any fear of drowning.

.

Ceylin went back to work on a Monday. The lawyer knew that she would have to take it easy at first, reason why she only took two clients out of the many who sought her services after she reopened the office.

When the moment seemed right, Ilgaz arranged everything to formally ask her to marry him again.

When they'd first been married, everything had been done in a hurry, with excessive practicality and no romance. The prosecutor was convinced that this time, Ceylin deserved an actual proposal.

He gathered the wedding ring he'd found at Ceylin's old house with the one he'd been keeping since the divorce and put them in a box. That day, Ilgaz went through some old folders in his office and found the one where he'd kept their divorce papers. The prosecutor planned to obtain a marriage license. Of course, he still needed Ceylin's formal yes, but the prosecutor was confident that wouldn't be a problem.

As she arrived home from work on that cool autumn evening, Ceylin found the apartment illuminated only by dim lights. She frowned, confused by the bottle of wine strategically placed on the set dinner table.

With her curiosity piqued, the lawyer wandered around the house looking for Ilgaz. She found him on the living room balcony, looking tense as he kept his gaze on the street outside.

"There you are," Ceylin hugged him with good disposition. "Why are you hiding out here? I have to tell you about the—"

"Ceylin, do you have your copy of our divorce papers with you?"

The unexpected serious question left the lawyer with the impression that something was wrong.

"Divorce papers?" She frowned, wondering what in the world Ilgaz needed those documents for. "I think they're somewhere in my office. Or in my bedroom at my mom's? I am not sure."

The prosecutor took a deep breath and let it out slowly before taking her hand in his.

"I found the folder with my copy in my office today," he began. Ceylin could tell the severity of the matter by how Ilgaz looked at her. "And I noticed something I hadn't seen before."

"What?" The lawyer asked anxiously. She had no idea why Ilgaz had brought up the subject or why he seemed so tense, but she was already nervous.

"When we filed for divorce, I was under the impression that we listed my apartment as our residence, considering that's where we lived most of the time we were married."

Ceylin furrowed her brows, trying to remember the details. Her puzzled expression prompted Ilgaz to continue.

"What I failed to see was that you listed the rented house as our official residence."

"Yeah...?" Ceylin searched the back of her mind for details she had learned during family law classes. She'd primarily worked with corporate and civil law during her career, so this was far from her area of expertise.

"The thing is, I filed the paperwork and sent it to the office of the judge who has jurisdiction in the district where my apartment is located," Ilgaz recapitulated.

At the time, to speed up the process, he had enlisted the help of some courthouse clerks he was familiar with. Knowing the prosecutor's spotless reputation, the assistants had barely bothered to double check the contents of his petition when processing the divorce petition, trusting that Ilgaz had taken care of all the details.

"But on the petition, our home address is listed as the house we rented?" Ceylin anticipated what he was going to say.

"Which means," Ilgaz unconsciously held his breath, "that the judge who adjudicated our divorce didn't have the jurisdiction to do it."

Ceylin nodded, lightheaded. She was trying to process the ramifications of that mistake, feeling as tense and nervous as Ilgaz seemed to be.

"Which means our divorce is invalid," she finally reached the right conclusion.

Ilgaz remained silent for the next few minutes, giving Ceylin the chance to process all the details regarding the information she had just been given.

"The real question now is, what do we do next?" Ilgaz chose to be practical. He was nervous but didn't even understand why, considering until that morning, he'd been planning to ask Ceylin's hand in marriage. "We can take this to family court and ask to have it fixed..."

"Or we could appeal to void our divorce," Ceylin completed his trail of thought before Ilgaz had a chance to do it.

Her face suddenly transformed as the lawyer was seized by an uncontrollable urge to laugh.

"What?" Ilgaz couldn't hold back a smile, contaminated by her mirth. "What's on your mind?"

Ceylin shook her head, trying to control herself, but tears of happiness escaped her eyes. Only when she managed to catch her breath did the lawyer take both Ilgaz's hands, looking straight into his eyes.

"Ilgaz, we've been butting heads like two idiots for two years over this divorce... It caused us so much pain and grievance. And now you're telling me it's not even valid," she stifled the urge to laugh again. "I don't know if I should be mad or what... I was hurting to be away from you all this time, but now you're telling me our separation was a mere technicality."

"Well. The pain was pretty real," Ilgaz pointed out, delighted by her flagrant joy. He waited until she regained control of herself to ask what they both wanted to know. "So... what do we do now?"

They had only two options. Either Ilgaz and Ceylin went back on the divorce and moved on as a married couple, or they filed a request to rectify the technical mistake and enforced the civil status they'd thought they'd had for the past two years.

"There is only one option for me," Ceylin gazed adoringly at him, maintaining an air of mystery before finally asking, "Ilgaz... do you want to undivorce me?"

The prosecutor took her face in his hands and sealed his affirmative answer with a kiss that left both of them breathless.

"I was kind of planning on proposing to you tonight," he confessed, and Ceylin finally understood why he'd been going through their divorce papers. "But an undivorce sounds like a much better idea," he smiled approvingly.

"It may sound stupid, but..." Ceylin wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling Ilgaz closer before confessing, "I am actually happy about this. The seriousness of a divorce made me feel that, for a while, our lives had taken different directions. Even if this news doesn't change our past, I'm happy to know that, accidentally or not, I've always been tied to you."

"And you always will," Ilgaz cradled her face between his hands, bending over to kiss her again. "We can't change our past, but we have the present and the future to think about. From now on, we'll be together forever. Enough of this nonsense about divorce and separation."

"Yes," Ceylin agreed, confirming Ilgaz's hypothesis that he was the luckiest man in the world. "A new marriage or an undivorce... it doesn't matter which path we choose, my love," she slid her hands over his chest until she crossed her arms behind the nape of his neck, pulling Ilgaz in for another kiss. "My answer to you will always be yes."

.

And here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide).

And this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart.

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart) "

-EE Cummings

- THE END - 

---

this last quote is the extended version of chapter 4's quote : ) 

The plot with the "undivorced" status was originally meant to be written through the course of this story, but it just didn't seem to fit while I was writing it. So I saved it for the ending. Thank you all who've embarked on this adventure with me, it's been an amazing ride!

See you guys on the next story 🤍

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1.8K 176 16
This story is based on Aldatmak turkish series. The main character is a strong judge, Güzide. She think that her life is full of with lovely people...
20.3K 2.6K 27
Part 2 of " The Return Home Series" Seven years they had been apart. The most challenging years of their lives. A new beginning for Sanem Aydin in Ga...
2.7K 111 8
It's A Zalim Istanbul fanfiction; it will be of four parts no more, it was inspired by my friend LadyLashana, the story will start from four years af...
15.4K 464 18
After the divorce, Reyhan is forced to return to the mansion when Hikmet takes a turn for the worst. He gets better, but when she gets a mysterious n...