Noteworthy

By Sycophant

Ana is subdued and aloof. Rhiley is rowdy and reckless. Despite their entirely opposite personalities, they h... More

Noteworthy

205 11 6
By Sycophant

Anatolia Maddox, grade 12.

I wrote the same thing on all my notes.

One after another. Sheets of white. Blue-lined. 9.5” x 11".

The headers were plain and boring.

Unremarkable and nondescript.

Welcome to my life.

It’s day 105 at Felix Marino Senior High school, man they should have a red carpet for an event as scandalous as today. No, but really, let’s just get this out of the way before I continue any further. Basically, for all you junior detectives out there, school sucks. I hate it, it’s the blatant truth. I have no point in attending such a vile, distasteful community. I’m a slave to this world. I don’t get what’s not to like about this lifestyle. Is it the vivacious eraser scent that looms in the hallway or the lovely, endearing aroma of the boy’s locker room that attracts most? So, you get my point. I go to the lamest school on, like, the entire planet. You can accuse me of my avid complaints, but only after you’ve spent a day in the life of a seventeen-year-old girl at FMSH. Please, be my guest.

“Hey!” An obnoxious, supermodel skinny blonde flashed a smile that could blind an entire crowd, in my general direction. 

You could tell by the way she flaunted her narrow hips and pointed each jeweled Prada encased foot, that she thought she was ‘it’. In a way, she sort of was… but there was absolutely no need to advertise it like the walking Chanel billboard she was. 

 “Hi Rhiley” My voice was monotone, as usual. I couldn’t disguise my lack of interest in our upcoming conversation. My eyes were like glass, clear and visible. You could see right through me. 

“You have to come shopping with me today! I swear, I saw the cutest sweater yesterday. Actually cuter than cute- its totally adorable.” She gushed.

“Rhiley you said the exact same thing last week, except it was about that dress. Does that ring any bells?” 

I thought about rolling my eyes, but no way would I dare to risk hurting my best friend’s feelings. Way too delicate. Believe me, I’ve experienced her tearing up firsthand, guy after guy, I wouldn’t exactly call it a pleasant experience, if you catch my drift. 

Rhiley frowned, but immediately un-scrunched her forehead, when she realized she was putting her flawless complexion in risk of- dare I say the word- wrinkles. Ugh, just the sound of it gives me shivers up and down my spine. 

“Don’t think twice about trying to tunnel your way out of this one. We need to get you a dress anyways.” She smirked that evil, scheming smirk of hers. Terrorizing Juicy lip gloss and all. 

I shot her a look, as if to suggest she was losing her sanity. Honestly, I didn’t have the slightest clue of what she was talking about. 

She shrugged her shoulders, as if to play along. I hated when she acted so difficult like this! What was with all the relying on innuendo? Uh, wake up call, time to be real, people! Her eyes pointedly darted past mine, her gaze landing a few feet down the hallowed hallway. I knew her too well to assume that she was “innocently glancing.” This was a hint. 

As much as I despise these little games everyone here plays, I was all too tempted to play along now. My eyes swiftly darted two lockers down from mine. I instantly regretted it. A certain someone’s eyes were staring right back, but it was no innocent glance. 

“Oh!” 

I got it. The realization hit me like an enormous Chloe tote bag in the face. 

”Uh, sorry but that’s going to be a no. I don’t think so Rhiley!” I told her flat out, setting her straight.

I refused to go to prom. The whole concept of it was just so tacky and mainstream. I detested those sorts of things. As much as Rhiley would try getting me to go, my mind was made up. I was not going to prom. Especially not with some wannabe hotshot jock like Tyler Simmons. 

So not my type. So not happening. 

“Please, Ana!” She begged.

“I know what you’re thinking and it’s a definite no-go, like, no question. Nuh-uh, nope, not happening. Have a good day, see you in English! Toodles!” I strutted down the hall. Not in an attention attracting hey-look-at-me-everyone sort of Rhiley strut, but more of a fierce, assertive stomp. Graceful, but with an appropriate touch of arrogant swagger. 

“Ana, oh please, Ana… seriously? Stop acting like your five.”  She shouted at me.

“Uh, you should talk.” I retorted angrily. 

“Alright. Well I send you my deepest apologies, but really it’s so obvious. You know you like him. He’s totally into you!” 

The gigantic megabuck smile she’d been trying to contain finally fought its way to the surface. She was grinning from one diamond studded ear to the other. 

I sighed then closed my gold-dusted lids before I continued. I was only going to say this once. 

“Rhiley, there’s no chance. Don’t even think about it.”

She angled her delicately chiseled chin towards the marble hallway surface. Her jaw was set on a harsh line and her eyes screamed intimidation. She nodded her head, obviously ticked off at my stubborn demeanor. 

“Alright.” 

“Glad that’s settled” I stated flatly. I knew there was more, she wasn’t going to let me off this easy. 

“So, who is it then? Hmm?” Her brown eyes eyed me suspiciously. 

“No one. Honestly, I’m not interested in anyone at FMHS.” I admitted.

“Is it the blondie from physics class? What’s his name? Clint Harold?” She prodded.

“Cliff Hammond?” I questioned.

“Yeah! Yeah, that’s him. He’s hot. You should get on that.” She suggested. 

I sighed in annoyance. She was ruthless and determined.

“I told you. I don’t have time for a boy, Rhiley. And I‘m not looking for a date. I‘m not going.” I spat angrily. She was getting on my last nerve. 

“Yeah, right. Stop lying to yourself. You’re going!” She pushed.

“I’m not. And FYI, Cliff and I are just friends. He wouldn‘t go with me anyways.” 

Honestly, I was being truthful. I felt no significant attraction to Cliff, and I’m sure that went both ways. He was a sweet guy and was definitely good looking, but I could tell he wasn’t in to me.

 Story of my life.

“Well that’s just your problem. They’re all ‘just friends’ to you. Don’t you see it? Any guy like Cliff would be lucky to date a girl like you.”

“Good one” I laughed.

“Ana, I’m serious. You don’t see yourself for what you are. It’s time you start giving yourself some credit.”

“What do you mean?” 

“You need to take a chance, live a little.” She exclaimed excitedly. 

“Yeah, I don’t want to cause any trouble. I have to study for exams and everything…”

It wasn’t until the words slipped out my mouth that I realized how lame that sounded.

“It’s the last month of senior year. Your last month of high school, ever. This is it. Are you just going to waste the rest of the time you have left playing it safe?”

She had a point. Maybe I needed to make the most of it and quit being so uptight. The more I tossed her thoughts around in my head, the more I realized Rhiley was right. I needed to have fun for once in my life. 

Like they say, you’re only young once, right?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...